Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Kesu ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Kesu

A Yu Yu Hakusho/Eraser crossover

By Rose Thorne

Disclaimer: I mean no infringements on any copyrights that anyone owns on any of these characters. Please do not take this as such. The movie Eraser belongs to Warner Brothers, Arnold Kopelson, Charles Russell, and whoever else worked so diligently on this masterpiece. Yu Yu Hakusho belongs to Yoshihiro Tomogashi, Studio Perriot, and whoever else helped in the production of the manga Yu Yu Hakusho, and the television series and movies that were based on the manga. I'm not getting any money by writing this, so please don't sue me. I am merely writing this to entertain the fans of Eraser and Yu Yu Hakusho.

Authors note: If anyone has any questions/comments about this story, please e-mail me at: Rose_Thorne@yyhmail.com

"'Cause I'm leaving on a jet plane
Don't know when I'll be back again
Oh, babe, I hate to go"
-Leaving On a Jet Plane, John Denver

Chapter 1
Kurama
I am running through the alleys of Tokyo. I just witnessed the murder of a foreigner, and the murderers are after me. The foreigner had to have been someone important for them to be chasing after me. I had been walking down a side street when I heard some men arguing loudly, and I looked into the alley to investigate. Just in time to see one of the men shoot the foreigner with a gun that even I had never seen before, saying something about him not being able to stop them.

I know that I have to get to a crowded place. They won't dare to shoot me if I am surrounded by people. Too many witnesses. Finally, I reach a busy street and try to lose myself in the crowd. One big problem though. My hair. It's like a beacon. I enter a clothing store, where I buy a black baseball cap, a jacket, and sunglasses. I put on the sunglasses and baseball cap, then shrug on the jacket over my hair. Then I leave the store and hurry down the street with my head down.

Finally, I think that I've lost them, but I still take the long way to my parents' house. It's Christmas break at the college, and I am spending it with my parents. Hiei is in the Makai, having been called back by Mukuro to do some work. My fire demon has been there for nearly two months and I miss him tremendously, but he is supposed to be back in two days. He knows that I planned to stay with my parents for Christmas, so he can find me. Then we can catch up.

"Okaasan?" I call as I step into the house, allowing my Shuuichi personality to take over. I shrug off the jacket and remove the cap and sunglasses. "Okaasan, I need to talk to you! It's very important!"

My mother comes running at the alarm in my voice. "What is it, Shuuichi?" she asks with concern. "Are you okay?"

"Okaasan, we need to call the police. I saw a foreigner get killed."

"Nani?! Oh, Shuuichi, are you okay? Did they hurt you?"

I shake my head. "No. I'm fine. The murderers saw me though, and I had to run."

"I'm so glad you aren't hurt!" She pulls me into a hug. "We'll call right away!" She grabs the cordless phone off the couch.

* * *
I am exhausted. The police questioned me for five hours, asking for every detail. They found the body of the foreigner where I said it would be. The man had been the American Prime Minister to Japan. As I suspected, a very important person. So important that even the American FBI had come to question me. And I told them all I know. The local police, national police, and the American FBI have left people to watch my parents' house in case the murderers decide to silence me. You see, I'm the only eyewitness to the assassination, so the police need me to make a positive ID on the killers.

If they do try something, I know that they would not only kill me, but my family as well, and I can't let that happen. I'll reveal my true self to them before I'll let them die. I wish Hiei was here. I would feel much better if he was. He'll be here in two days, but I need him now. I am too nervous to sleep. If something happens, I need to be alert. But I am so tired. My eyelids are falling shut against my will, and that has never happened before. My mother is bringing me something to eat, for I have not eaten all day. She falls to the floor before reaching me. That is when I realize that something is very wrong. I try to change to my youko form, but I find that for some reason I can't. I try to rise, but fall to the floor. The last thing I see is feet moving toward me.

I awake to a horrible smell and gasp. "Good. He's awake." I hear a strangely accented voice say in English. I open my eyes to see a man with a long, craggy face and short brown hair leaning over me. "Kruger John desu yo. I am here to help," he says to me in Japanese with horrible pronunciation.

I smile at him weakly and say, in flawless English, "I am Shuuichi Minamino. I am please to meet you, John Kruger." My smile grows larger as his eyes bug out in shock.

He turns to the pretty African woman who is kneeling over my unconscious okaasan. "I thought he didn't know English, Lee!" he says to her.

She snorts. "John, you know those reports are never complete." Shiori stirs as the woman holds a bottle under her nose. "There. She'll be awake soon." She is trying to relieve me, I know.

"Where is my brother? My toussan?" I ask worriedly, sticking to English so they will understand me.

She smiles at me. "They're fine."

I sit up and look around. There are three men on the floor. They are surrounded by pools of blood. I force my eyes to widen in mock-horror to retain the innocent look of my Shuuichi persona, even though I have seen many dead bodies and even more blood. My only real thought is, How are we going to get those stains out of the carpet?

My little brother, Shuuichi, is sitting against the wall crying. I crawl over to comfort him. My father is also sitting against the wall, staring at the bodies. I hold my brother, and turn his head away from the carnage. Unlike me, he has never been exposed to this sort of thing. He shrinks against me, sobbing. I hold him, rub his back, and rock him back and forth, saying over and over in Japanese, like a mantra, "Sumimasen, Shuu-kun, sumimasen." Eventually his sobs subside.

By this time, okaasan has awaken, and is sitting up. "What happened?" she asks in Japanese.

To this, the woman I'd heard called Lee says perfectly in Japanese, "There was an attempt on your son's life. We made sure it failed."

My mother is crying. "Okaasan!" I call. "I'm fine. I wasn't hurt! Please don't cry!"

John Kruger looks at me. "We have to leave. Now." He helps my father, my brother, and I to stand, while Lee helps my mother. They lead us from the house to an unmarked van that sits right in front of the door. "Get in," he orders. "Now!" I obey, as do my brother and parents. John goes to the back of the van and takes four bodybags from it. Two by two, he carries them into the house, coming back with the bags, but nothing else. Then he and Lee drag the three bodies of the would-be killers onto the front lawn. They set it up to look like they killed each other. As we are driving away, my parents' home bursts into flame.

"What are you doing?!" I demand angrily, forgetting to use English in my horror at the destruction of my parents' home. "Where are we going?!"

The cryptic response that he gives me is "Smile. You've just been erased." I stare at him for a moment in confusion. Lee gives me a pitying look. Then I understand. Hiei...He'll think I'm dead. I start to cry. Real tears. For my fire demon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sadistic, ne? I got this idea from other yaoi fics, where either Hiei or Kurama dies and the other has to live with his lover's death. And I asked myself, Well, what if the other one wasn't dead, and everyone thought that they were? This was the idea I came up with. Hope you like it!! Just so you know, it will be first person of a variety of characters. Keep a box of tissues around. It's sad. ;_;

By the way, Kesu means 'Erased'.