Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Legal Human Practice ❯ Kuwabara Clan: Kinomoto Family ( Chapter 6 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Kuwabara Clan: The Kinomoto Family
calikocat
word count: 1759
Hiei/Kuwabara or Hieibara if you prefer. XD

A/N: Kuwabara starts tracking down his family in order to get their input and see if they'd be willing to rejoin Tokyo's Magical Society with him. This chapter crosses over with Card Captor Sakura.

XXX

Kazuma watched the family in the front yard of a modest two story home. A young mother played with her children on the front steps under the kind eyes of her husband and an older couple who watched from the doorway of the house. The young mother held her little girl, who looked to be Hari's age in her lap on the steps, while her son, who looked around seven or eight, held up a brightly colored leaf that had fallen from a nearby tree for the toddler to inspect.

The faint scent of food was on the breeze; no doubt coming from the window that was just slightly open to allow fresh air into the house, as it was mild for December. And the food...meant they were in time for lunch.

Hiei stood to his right with Hari balanced on his hip; which was one of Hari's favorite places to be actually. Hiei glanced at him. “These are your relatives?”

Kazuma nodded, “Some of them. My dad had two sisters, one older and the other younger. Aiko, his older sister, married Kinomoto Isamu.”

“They are the older couple on the porch.”

“Yeah. The younger man is their son, Fujitaka. The woman sitting on the steps is his wife Nadeshiko. The kids are theirs, Toya and Sakura.”

“Your aunt, Aiko… she has magic.”

“She was a teenager when Gramps pulled the family out. I don't know if she ever finished her training.”

Hiei gave a brief hn. “Look again. Her aura is polished. She's been trained.”

He ruffled Hari's hair a bit as he looked at his aunt again, concentrating on her aura. Hiei was right; it had a finished look to it, almost like a varnish or natural shine. “Aiko is really good at hiding her magic.”

As he said that Aiko looked up from watching her family and met his eyes. “Kazuma! Don't just stand there! The food is getting cold!”

“Coming!” He called back as he guided Hiei into the yard.

“She knew we were here the entire time.”

“Well we do kind of stand out, no matter where we go.” He grinned at his lover, who rolled his eyes, but did give him a little smirk in return.

As they approached the family the little girl looked up at them and upon seeing Hari waved her arms about and babbled in greeting. Hari, at first surprised by her actions, hesitated for only a second before waving back and babbling just as merrily. The girl's mother giggled as she too waved at Hari. The young boy beside her glared at them instead.

“Is this normal behavior?” Hiei asked him.

Kazuma shrugged. “The only baby I've spent a lot of time with is Hari-chan, so I don't know. Toya always glares at strangers when he meets them.”

Isamu chuckled. “It’s perfectly normal behavior for happy children to greet one another like that.”

Aiko grinned and reached for one of Hari's hands shaking it gently up and down. “Kazuma, he's adorable. What's his name?”

“Hari.”

She continued to smile and met Hiei's eyes. “And who's this handsome young man.” She blinked and looked closer at the stranger who only came up to her nephew's shoulder. “Oh...you're actually much older than our Kazuma aren't you?”

Hiei nodded. “I am Hiei...Kuwabara Hiei.” There was almost a pouty defiance to the demon's words. However Aiko nodded and bowed a bit.

“It is nice to meet you Kuwabara Hiei. Our Kazuma has chosen such a handsome lover.” She giggled when both of them blushed.

Isamu shook his head. “You can tease them later Aiko, let the poor boys eat first.”

“Ah, you never let me have any fun these days.” She winked at her husband before ushering them inside. “Come on in, lunch is ready, we can get reacquainted over our meal.”

Aiko and Isamu ushered them inside, the others following behind, they quickly toed their shoes off and slipped on guest slippers before they followed their noses to the food that was staying warm in the kitchen.

“Hiei-san,” The young man smiled as he brought a second toddler chair into view, setting it up beside the one his wife was placing their daughter in. “Hari-kun can sit here beside Sakura-chan.”

Hiei nodded and placed Hari in the chair, all the while Hari and Sakura babbled at one another and patted each other’s hands. Hiei shook his head in wonder and settled beside their son while Kazuma chose a chair on Hiei's other side. They watched as Aiko and Isamu placed the food on the table before everyone settled in their chairs.

Aiko tilted her head slightly to look at her nephew. “What was it you wanted to speak with us about Kazuma?”

“Something very important Aiko, it has a lot to do with our adopting Hari.”

“Aiko, love. Let’s eat first, and then we can talk while Toya looks after the little ones.” Isamu suggested, before shooting a glance at his grandson. “That will be alright, won't it Toya? And why are you glaring at Hiei-san?”

Toya flicked his eyes away from Hiei for just a moment. “He's not human.”

Aiko sighed. “Still, you shouldn't stare.”

Kazuma gave Toya his kindest smile, but made sure his voice broke no argument from his much younger relative. “Hiei is a demon and he is my mate. He is family and of no threat to you or your sister.”

Toya looked thoughtful for a moment. “You promise?”

“You have my word.”

Another moment of thoughtful silence passed by before Toya looked at Hiei and nodded. “Okay.”

Fujitaka gave his son a grateful smile. “Thank you for being so accepting Toya-kun.” Toya simply nodded and began eating.

The topics of conversation while they ate stayed light, mostly concentrating on the weather, and Fujitaka's change of career from teaching high school students to university students. When they were done Hiei, Toya, and the two younger children were ushered into the living room where they could keep the toddlers occupied. Toya was still reluctant to trust Hiei, until Hari promptly broke the ice with his baby grin, which showed off all five of his baby teeth. The result was a laughing Toya and smirking Hiei. After that brief scene Kazuma left them to it and rejoined the others in the kitchen.

He offered to help Aiko and Nadeshiko with the dishes, but backed down when Aiko insisted that he enjoy his coffee and relax. Kazuma was wise in the ways of Kuwabara women from growing up with Shizuru so he let her have her way.

As Aiko put away the last of the dishes she and Nadeshiko rejoined the men at the table. “Now. What is on your mind nephew?”

Kazuma took a breath to steady himself. “I would like to have your support when I re-enter our clan.”

Nadeshiko blinked and gave her husband a confused look. “Re-enter?”

Fujitaka nodded. “Grandfather became disgusted with the prejudices that existed among the Wizards. So he removed the Kuwabara Clan from their world.”

Nadeshiko gave him wide eyes before turning to look at Kazuma. “It must have been lonely to leave everything he knew behind. Ne, Kazuma-kun, why would you want to go back if your grandfather thought it was so horrible?”

Aiko glanced toward the living room where Hiei could be seen with both Sakura and Hari in his lap as Toya talked with him, a serious expression on his young face. “It’s because of Hari-chan, isn't it?”

“Yes. He was abandoned by a Wizard to blood relatives who would have hurt him. Hiei found him and brought him home.”

Isamu's jaw dropped in surprise, though whether it was because someone could abandon a child or Hiei's actions he wasn't sure. Isamu gathered himself together enough to ask a question. “Where did he find Hari?”

Kazuma shrugged. “I never asked. There is a high possibility that his birth parents are dead. The scar on his forehead is the result of very dark magic. Someone embedded a fragment of their soul into him...after they failed to kill him with a curse.”

Fujitaka's eyes were drawn to the group in the living room, his gaze worried. “Will he be alright?”

“Yeah. Once we knew what it was Hiei removed it; under Genkai's watchful eye of course.” Kazuma smirked a bit when he saw his aunt's eyes widen when he mentioned Genkai. “Aiko-san. Will you support my decision? Will you come back with me to that world? Will all of you join me?”

Isamu looked from his wife back to Kazuma. “Why is it important for all of us to join?”

Aiko put her hand on Isamu's, “A united front.” She met Kazuma's eyes. “You're fully adopting Hari.”

He nodded. “To keep him, legally he has to be bound to our clan. To do that the clan has to go back.”

Aiko looked at her husband and Isamu smiled at her. “I know you missed that world, so much that you left Japan to complete your schooling when your father left it.”

Kazuma blinked at his uncle's words. “Huh. We thought your magic felt refined.”

Aiko nodded in acknowledgment before looking at her son. “Fujitaka?”

Fujitaka smiled at her. “I'm no Wizard.”

“No, but you are an Empath.”

Fujitaka gave a thoughtful nod to his mother as he watched Toya, who now had Hari in his lap, while Hiei held Sakura. “Kaasan,” He looked at Aiko, his face very serious. “Toya can sense and see spirits. And Sakura...she has magic. Doesn't she?”

Aiko nodded. “Yes.”

He took Nadeshiko's hand. “Nadeshiko-san?”

Nadeshiko smiled and gestured to the group in the living room. “Sakura-chan and Toya-chan already adore Hari-chan and Hiei-kun. I'm alright with it.” They shared a smile with one another before nodding at Aiko.

Aiko outright beamed at them and shared her eagerness with her nephew. “We will support your endeavor Kazuma.”

Kazuma let out a sigh of relief. “Thank you.”

Aiko nodded. “Now, what have you been up to these past few years? How did you meet Hiei-san...and how do you know Genkai-sama?”

He blushed and rubbed the back of his neck. “Eheh...well...”

XXX