Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Pains of the Past ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Pains of the Past

 

New Faces in Town

 

“Yusuke, get your ass in here!” Koenma shouted at his lead spirit detective. The kid was a slacker, but he was good at what he did, so the Prince of the Underworld put up with him.

 

After hearing the shout of Koenma's high pitched, baby voice, a black, slick haired teenager walked into the room, rubbing his pinky finger in his ear. Looking at the head of the spirit detectives with his emerald green eyes, Yusuke Urameshi half-sneered his reply, “What d'ya want now, binky-face?”

 

“I have a mission for you and the others, Yusuke.” Koenma replied, glowering at his detective. When he saw the teenager roll his eyes, the baby-faced prince continued, “You'll be staying at home for this one, the farthest you'll be traveling is Genkai's shrine, just so you know.”

 

“Yeah, yeah. Just tell me what it is this time, baby-face,” Yusuke replied with another of his trademark nicknames for Koenma.

 

“A demon recently escaped from Makai, a kitsune like Yoko. Our, er, representative in Makai failed to stop her from creating a hole from which she could travel to and from Makai. You are to assist this detective in locating and capturing the demon.” Koenma ordered.

 

“Great, so there'll be five of us this time around? Just what I need, another demon,” Yusuke growled. “I already have enough shit to deal with from Kurama and Hiei, ya know!”

 

“You're in luck, then. He's not a demon, but a human who was…exiled from earth aftersome unbecoming behavior.” Well, that's a simple way of putting it, Koenma thought.

 

“Unbecoming behavior?” a new voice asked from the doorway. “ I do think that's a new way of putting the things I did, master.”

 

Whirling around on his heel, Yusuke eyed the newcomer. He had the same emerald green eyes, but his hair was a bleach blonde, and his skin was heavily tanned-probably from time spent in Makai. He was well built, but short, not much taller than five feet four inches, five feet five inches. But a smirk on his face made him appear self-confident and cocky, much like Yusuke was.

 

“What's so special about this guy?” Yusuke asked, never letting his eyes leave the newcomer's. “I'm not sensing any kind of spirit energy from him.”

 

“Yes, well, he is not the same kind of detective that you and Kuwabara are when it comes to humans. We, ahhh…chose him for a detective because he has a different kind of power.” Koenma replied, trying his best to phrase these things politely, yet simple.

 

“Master, if you do not wish to let this…shall we say, heathen? to know what it is I can do, then I may as well tell him myself,” the bleach blonde said, the smile never having left his face once since he arrived.

 

“Excuse me?!” Yusuke roared at being called a heathen. “I couldn't give a rat's ass what your powers are, pretty boy!”

 

“Yusuke, shut up! And Sean, do calm yourself, there is no need for you to be using those energies just yet.” Koenma said to the two detectives in turn.

 

“Very well, Master,” the person who had a first name of Sean replied easily, the smile sticking to his face as though it were glued on.

 

“Sean…?” Yusuke asked, his face now showing that of an ox-absolutely nothing registering in the mind. Almost as though a light bulb appeared above his head-you know, like an idea-the spirit detective finally registered the name. He had heard about this guy from Hiei and Kurama. Of course, he cared little about the reputation he had, and was moreso just ready to get in a fight and deal with the guy. That was, of course, before the fog lamp appeared in front of him and blinded the detective. “SHIT!!!” was the word of the day it seemed for Yusuke.

 

“You know, I can read mind,” Sean replied, the smirk gone and replaced with a rather annoyed look. “And I don't appreciate those thoughts you're having about me being a bloody pulp after a fight with you. Especially since you wouldn't even be able to lay a finger on me.”

 

“Sean! Stop it, damn it!” Koenma shouted. “I don't need any more people to die in this office because of the idiotic jealousies of two people!”

 

Too late, though, as Yusuke having enough power and control to no longer have to shout out his attacks when he uses them, had mentally yelled `Spirit Gun'. So, he had fired a steady beam of blue light about the size of a twenty-two caliber bullet where he had last seen Sean, back before the fog lamp was blaring in his eyes blinding him. The beam was going at a steady pace, until about three inches from Sean's face, it just reflected off and hit the ceiling. This in turn sent debris spiraling down towards the spirit detective who we all know and love, who, upon hearing the falling rocks jumped out of the way just in time as they crashed into the floor.

 

A number of seconds passed when they both were lifted up and slammed against a wall. “Damn it! I said not to fight here, or at all!” Koenma yelled.

 

“Well, I could not let such a hot-headed overly powered punk insult me like that, master,” Sean replied quickly.

 

“And you can just shut the hell up!” Yusuke yelled across the room at the blonde haired psychic. Turning to face the head of the spirit detectives, he then added, “And I will not work with this jackass!”

 

A number of hours later we find a muttering Yusuke with a slightly deranged Sean following. They were headed over to Genkai's shrine, in hopes of the psychic being able to stay there. Of course, Sean was going to be deranged for quite some time, since as soon as they had left spirit world Yusuke had pounced him and thoroughly beat him…

 

Her eyes opened slowly. Looking around, a small smile crept along her face. She was free. This forest was the one she had heard a lot about, not far from here would be the shrine. Yes…the kitsune shrine. Hopefully there would be signs of others there, possibly even another kitsune who had escaped like she had.

 

Standing up slowly, the demoness walked towards where she could feel spirit energy. Not sure if it was human or not, she still headed towards it. Risks would have to be taken if she ever wanted to get anything done-just like the risk back in Makai. Smiling slightly, she let out a burst of childish giggles as she had outwitted that spirit detective. A shame that he would be called here to find her, but by then she would be hidden.

 

After a number of hours of walking, she found the shrine abandoned. Sitting down on the steps leading up to it, the kitsune wondered what she should do next. If he wasn't here, then where in this world would Yoko be? She had to find him, or else their entire clan would die. Most had, true, but some still strived and were in desperate need of a leader like Yoko again…

 

Note: Another short chapter, I know. I'm just having a tad bit of trouble getting into writing fanfiction again. Especially for an anime I haven't seen an episode of for…oh, about two or three months now. Hope this chapter is not too disappointing! And I promise, more will be told in the next. Also, updates will be slow, as expected from me, eh? Even slower since I have to use my dad's computer until our router is back up and running…*sighs*

 

Oh, and about the formatting:

 

Italics-Spirit world/thoughts/dreams/flashbacks

Bold-Makai

Normal-earthh