Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Power In Many Forms ❯ Past and Present ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

<b>Power in Many Forms</b>
Word Count: 2,621 (not counting the Disclaimer and Notes)
 
<b>Disclaimer: YuYu Hakusho, Inuyasha, Harry Potter, and Anita Blake are not mine; they belong to their respective creators. I hold no claim on them; just minor original characters.</b>
 
<i>Author's Notes: I apologize if anything is spelled wrong, or if any information is incorrect. I'm sick and feel wonky. And wow…Harry made a brief appearance. *sneaks away to write last term paper*</i>
 
 
XXX
 
Neville could hardly be happier. He had found family in Kurama. Someone who would not judge or belittle him; someone who would see that his parents got the best care; and someone he could also call a friend. To him that was better than a whole lot of things combined. Even better, both Kurama and Kuwabara were treating him as an equal, as an adult, something he was not entirely used too. All in all he was happier than he'd been in a while, and he hoped it could only get better.
 
He blinked and mentally shook himself out of his happy thoughts to focus once more on what Kurama was saying.
 
“Usually only animal youkai have any sort of affinity with plants, kitsunes being one of them. I myself am a plant master.” Kurama was sitting on the bed, arranging Neville's papers into a large envelope. The signing had gone without any real disruptions, mostly just wary glares from his Grandmother.
 
Neville smiled. “That actually explains a few things. Herbology is my b-best subject at Hogwarts; Professor Sprout says I have a real t-talent for it.” The last part was said almost shyly.
 
Kuwabara grinned from his position on the floor. “Wait till you see the stuff Kurama can do with plants. His favorite weapon is a rose whip.”
 
At this dusky green eyes widened at the two men in front of him. He was sitting in an arm chair facing them. “Weapon?”
 
“We're fighters Neville. Koenma sends us to take care of demon uprisings and anything that might cause trouble or affect the three realms badly.” Kurama tilted his head to the side. “If you would like I can train you, if you feel learning to fight with plants would be beneficial.”
 
“Fighting with p-plants?” Neville had never heard of such a thing, and his shocked expression must have confirmed his astonishment.
 
“Yes, plants have many uses. As Kuwabara said I use a rose whip in battle. However there are many plants in the Makai, demon plants, which are much more dangerous than anything found in this realm. As a plant master I can control them with my youki, my demon energy. Since you are half human you should be able to use both reiki, spirit energy, youki and the magic you inherited from your father.” Kurama smiled. “That's a very potent combination.”
 
“You think I could really learn to be a plant master?” Neville could hardly dare to hope.
 
“You said yourself that you have a knack for working with plants. It would take lots of practice and dedication; it won't happen over night. However once you've learned to manipulate the energies of your body and soul you'll be able to grasp the basics quickly enough.”
 
“I'd like to try…if you'll teach me?”
 
A kind smile and a nod were his answer. “Of course.” Green eyes glanced at Kuwabara then. “Botan is on her way?”
 
“Yup, be here any second.” Kuwabara nodded.
 
“Should we g-go downstairs to wait for her then?” Neville asked, and then raised a brow at Kuwabara's laugh. “What's so funny?”
 
“Nothin' kid. But Botan's not gonna use the door.” Kuwabara snickered and his smiled got bigger.
 
“B-but—“
 
“Ossu!” Botan cheered in greeting as she flew through the ceiling, stopping above them.
 
Neville had jumped and dove behind his chair, wand drawn and a spell on his lips before he realized he wasn't under attack.
 
“Neville?” Kurama looked at him worriedly.
 
Ever so slowly Neville stood from his crouched position and came out from behind the chair. He took a breath, let it out and put his wand away. “I'm okay.”
 
“Gomen.” Botan looked sheepish from where she was perched on her oar. “I didn't mean to scare anyone…the others are used to it.”
 
“It's alright Botan…I j-just reacted is all.”
 
“You've fought before?” Kurama's eyes were narrowed.
 
“Yeah, with Harry and the others; we've b-been through two battles. The first was in the M-ministry of Magic in fifth year and the second was a few weeks ago in the Forbidden Forest outside school g-grounds. We were up against Death Eaters.” At the odd looks he received Neville decided to do some rephrasing. “Dark Wizards; they were V-v-voldemort's followers.”
 
“And none of you died?” Kuwabara's tone was flat.
 
“There were some injuries, b-but we're all okay.” Neville sat back down in his chair. “Harry's Godfather died in the first b-battle. He and some other adults came after us. One of the Death Eaters, his c-cousin, killed him.”
 
Botan landed softly on her feet and whisked her oar away, making it disappear from sight. Her eyes were sad as stepped closer to Neville to ruffle his hair. “Harry's Godfather was Sirius Black wasn't he.”
 
Neville's head snapped up, though Botan's hand remained in his hair. “How?”
 
“Grim Reaper, remember?” Her expression was soft. “I was on call that night; I escorted his soul to Reikai.”
 
“Oh…is he…I want to ask if he's okay, but he's dead and—“ Neville scrunched his face up, it was hard to word what he wanted to say.
 
“Oh, he was mad because he was dead. But now he can watch over Harry and he seems to be okay with that. Plus he enjoys sneaking into unauthorized parts of Reikai and playing practical jokes.” Her gaze lightened a bit and she stepped back.
 
“Okay.”
 
Botan nodded and turned to Kurama. “I have a friend escorting Alice and Frank to Reikai, they should already be there. How did things go here?” She moved to stand beside Kuwabara, who was still on the floor.
 
Kuwabara reached up to grasp her hand. “It was interesting.”
 
“I am now Neville's legal guardian and he has packed everything he wants to take with him.” Kurama answered her.
 
“Are you ready?” Botan asked Neville, her grip tightening on Kuwabara's hand as he stood up.
 
“Yes.”
 
“Good. Now, everyone stand back.” She moved away from all of them and held her hands out in front of her and concentrated her gaze on the air.
 
“What's she doing?”
 
Kuwabara grinned. “Opening a door straight into Reikai.”
 
“What?”
 
Kurama rolled his eyes at Kuwabara. “Botan is opening a portal to Koenma's office.”
 
“A portal…”
 
There was a flash of light and suddenly a large circle appeared in front of Botan. It was almost like a window, for inside the circle was a view of room Neville had never seen before.
 
“Grab your things kid.” Kuwabara laughed at Neville's expression, grabbing a bag. “It's time to go.”
 
“Bloody Hell.”
 
xxx
 
“George…please see that no more of these ridiculous petitions make it to my office.” Koenma grumbled as he tore the paper into itty bitty pieces.
 
“Koenma-sama? What did he want this time?” George asked; a trace of amusement in his voice.
 
“A Naked Tuesday.”
 
“You're kidding.”
 
“No, that's what the petition was for. And the last thing we need is a Naked Tuesday.” The immortal shuddered; the thought of many naked ogres was rather disturbing.
 
George shook his head. “Will there be anything else?”
 
Koenma shook his head and brushed the shredded paper into a trash can before slumping in his seat. “No, we're done for now.”
 
“Is there something bothering you Koenma?”
 
“Other than I think my Father has gone insane, everything is just wonderful.” When George gave him a confused look he elaborated. “I told him about Kurama having family, and that we were bringing his descendants here to Reikai and more or less keeping them here.”
 
“How did he take it?” George winced.
 
“That's the thing. He didn't seem upset at all. And this is the man who used to throw temper tantrums with the smallest thing was not going the way he wanted it.”
 
The blue ogre looked thoughtful for a moment. “Did you tell him that you sent Botan, Kuwabara and Hiei along with Kurama?”
 
“Yes…you don't think it's because of them that he's acting strangely…” Koenma frowned. “I know Botan bullied him when Kurama and I first became intimate, but—“ He sighed and threw his hands up in air. “I don't know what's going on around here anymore. And I don't care either. I'm just going to go with it.”
 
“A very wise decision.” George smiled and turned to go when a portal opened right beside him. “Ack!” The poor ogre fell backwards in a heap as four figures stepped out of the gateway between worlds. When it closed, disappearing as suddenly as it had appeared Botan, Kuwabara, Kurama and a teenage boy stood in front of Koenma's desk.
 
“Ossu!” Botan cheered. “Eh? George, why are you on the floor?”
 
George pulled himself up and glared at the head reaper. “Why do you insist on opening portals in Koenma-sama's office? There are rooms set aside especially for portal travel.”
 
“Because I can.” Botan smiled and patted George's arm. “I'm sorry I scared you.”
 
“I was not scared.”
 
Koenma sat back in his chair and sighed. “George you practically screamed.”
 
“I was surprised, not scared.” His glare softened a bit. “Do you need anything else Koenma-sama?”
 
“Nope, we're done.”
 
George bowed and left, closing the doors softly behind him.
 
Kurama set the satchel he was holding on the floor before stepping around the desk. He moved towards Koenma, who in turn opened his arms in welcome and the redhead slid into them, situating himself on Koenma's lap.
 
“How did it go?” Koenma asked as Kurama leaned forward for a brief kiss.
 
“I had a little surprise.” He looked back towards the teenager who was frowning, and Kurama realized he had slipped into Japanese. In English he said “This Neville, my great-grandson. Neville this is Koenma, my lover.”
 
Neville blushed lightly, but smiled and nodded at Koenma, suddenly remembering their conversation at the hospital. “It's nice to m-meet you Step-Great-Grandfather.”
 
Botan giggled and leaned against Kuwabara for support as it turned to a full laugh at Koenma's expression. He looked like he'd swallowed something better left untouched. Her lover wrapped an arm around her and laughed as well.
 
“Takes after you doesn't he.” Koenma murmured into Kurama's ear. The kitsune only chuckled.
 
“You have no idea.”
 
xxx
 
The late afternoon sun cast a golden glow around the sparse room of one Harry Potter at number four Privet Drive. Harry sat at his desk with a letter from Luna; he read over it again and sighed. Luna was worried about Neville; he hadn't answered her last letter. Normally he wouldn't think much of it, but he too had written to Neville a few days ago and there had been no response.
 
He ran a hand through his forever unkempt hair and set Luna's letter aside and picked up a piece of fresh parchment to start his own.
 
<i>Nev,
 
Harry here mate; haven't heard from you in a few days. Is everything all right? I just got a letter from Luna and she said she hadn't heard from you either, said that her owl came back without a response and more than a little frazzled. Hedwig didn't fare much better last time I wrote to you.
I'm still all right, no more accidents with Dudley. I wrote in my last letter about that didn't I? Dudley, being the greedy git he is, found the bag I keep the Twins' candies in. He ate a Canary Cream, and squawked himself into exhaustion. Uncle Vernon wasn't amused though, but you should have seen it. Dudley looked like this great yellow monster with all the feathers.
Let me know how you are all right? Luna too, and I'll let you know if Dudley does anything else amusing.
Harry</i>
 
After the ink dried Harry folded the parchment and slipped it into an envelope and handed it to Hedwig. “See if you can get him to respond okay girl?” Hedwig hooted briefly at him and took the letter in her beak before launching her self to the windowsill and taking off into the fading daylight.
 
Harry stared after her for a while before capping his ink and standing up to stretch. His stomach growled and he sighed. “I wonder if Aunt Petunia will even call me to supper.”
 
xxx
 
Two male figures stood facing one another in a busy room; ogres were running around carrying paperwork and going about their business, ignoring the two dead demons.
 
Koronue looked at his companion closely. The wolf demon stared back at him, their dark eyes meeting. The wolf laughed nervously.
 
“This is awkward.”
 
Koronue nodded. “I know why I'm here…but why are you here?”
 
The wolf smiled. “I was told a friend was coming to talk to me. Someone I haven't seen since the Feudal Era.”
 
Koronue blinked. “You died in the Feudal Era?”
 
“Ah, no. I died a few decades ago. Stupidly too; I got into a fight I knew I wasn't going to win.” He looked sheepish. “But it was worth it. My intended mate escaped with our kid to safety.”
 
Koronue smiled. “Then it was not a stupid way to die. I however died on a heist.” He shook his head. “I'm Koronue.”
 
“Ginta; I am or I was one of Kouga's tribe.”
 
“Impressive.”
 
“Nah, not really. I'm pretty weak. But thanks anyway.”
 
“Ginta!”
 
Both demons turned toward the new voice and Ginta nearly fell over in shock when a pretty woman launched herself into his arms.
 
“Ne-san?” He stared down at her in disbelief. “What? How? Humans don't live this long…are you—“
 
The woman pulled back from him. “I'm not dead if that's what you're thinking. Didn't you know? I used the Bone Eater's well to travel to the Feudal Era. This is my time.”
 
“Time travel!” Ginta laughed. “It's good to see you Kagome.”
 
“You too.” She glanced at Koronue. “I see you met one of your in-laws.”
 
Koronue and Ginta stared at one another again, confusion clouding both their faces. Kagome looked from one demon to the other, realizing that they didn't know.
 
“Ginta, this is Toorima's ah…” She looked at Koronue. “Mother?”
 
Koronue nodded in surprise. “I gave birth to Toorima.”
 
Ginta's jaw dropped. “Geeze, I should have realized it. She looked a lot like you.”
 
“You knew my daughter?” Koronue asked.
 
“Knew her? She was my intended!” Ginta laughed. “If only she could see me now, making an idiot of myself in front of her parent.”
 
“You…my daughter was your intended mate?”
 
Ginta nodded. “Yeah.” He stepped close and hugged Koronue, carefully avoiding the wings. He stepped back again and grinned. “Some surprise huh?”
 
Koronue choked out a laugh. “Very.”
 
Ginta turned back to Kagome. “What are you doing here ne-san?”
 
Kagome smiled. “I help out in Reikai sometimes. Heh, I'm sort of still on parole for traveling through time for all those years. Evidently Reikai has a strict policy on long term time travel. Traveling to the Feudal Era is considered long term travel.” She blushed. “So here I am, helping Botan.” Kagome met Ginta's gaze. “Botan also thought it would be better if I was the one to bring you and Koronue to see them.”
 
“Them?” Koronue asked.
 
“Ginta's daughter and her husband.” She bit her lip. “They've been in a bad way for a long time Ginta.”
 
Ginta rubbed his face, suddenly tired. “How bad?”
 
“They don't recognize anything; they don't give any real response. Their minds are broken.”
 
“Can we see them?”
 
“That's why I'm here.” Here smile was soft as she looked at them.
 
“And Toorima?” Koronue asked.
 
“No one knows. She hasn't been seen since leaving her daughter with humans.”
 
Both demons sighed, but Ginta was the one that spoke. “Lead the way Kagome.”
 
Kagome reached over for his hand and held it tight. “I'm sorry Ginta.”
 
“Yeah, me too.”
 
XXX