Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Prophecy ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Category: Anime, Yu Yu Hakusho, Yaoi, AU
Warnings: slight angst
Pairings: will be KuramaxHiei
Author: Arigatomina
Email: arigatoumina@hotmail.com
Website/Complete Archive: http://www.geocities.com/arigatomina

Prophecy

Part 2

After a brief tour to explore the windowless room, Kurama gave up. The only exit was that white curtain, and it was obviously a wall now. He sat on the bed with his head in his hands. He was still as tired as he'd been in his lab, but now he had a terrible headache to go with it. And trying to rationalize what was happening only made his temples throb even more. It was too odd to be a dream. And those ears...he'd checked in the mirror in the bathroom and they were definitely real. And what about the tail? That was real, too.

He turned a bit, looking down at the silvery tail half curled on the bed behind him. It moved naturally when he thought about it shifting, definitely obeying some thought of his. His hand eased down, and he smirked when his fingers touched the silky hair. He could feel even that light pressure. With a bemused smile, he reached up to trail his hand through his pale hair. No wig. This was as real as his own hair had been. And the ears were as mobile as the tail. A light pinch on the tip of one and he winced, those ears flicking back against his hair. Pain was real, and petting one he found the sensation pleasant. They were soft, like they were lined in velvet. Fur. He had fur covered ears. And a mobile longhaired tail like some shaggy canine. And if he hadn't known better, he'd have sworn he were taller. That early look in the mirror had also found that while his face looked about the same, his eyes were more narrow. And gold. He had pale golden eyes.

Too strange to be a dream. As good as he normally was with puzzles, he didn't think he could rationalize this. All he could think was that the experiment had somehow moved him to another place. Some strange place where a bunch of identical females expected him to break a curse. And that made about as much sense as the tail. A light prickling sensation passed over him, twitching the tips of his ears, and Kurama flinched. That white curtain was soft again, shifting aside as easily as it had when he'd entered earlier. The dark one was back.

Kurama straightened where he sat on the bed. The black-haired male was alone this time, and he watched him cross the room to that black cloth near the wall. He hadn't looked there during his brief search earlier. Since the white curtain had become solid, he'd assumed that one would as well. But it was moving now. The small male was doing something that he couldn't see. Leaning the the side to try and see around him, Kurama frowned. He was shifting restlessly by the time the male finally turned and revealed...a tray? Food? He was certainly hungry.

The male stopped next to the bed, and Kurama's gaze dropped to the small things on the offered tray. He didn't recognize it, but it did look like some sort of snack. He hesitated, glancing at those odd red eyes, but the male kept his gaze lowered. With a quiet sigh, Kurama took some of the offered food. If they were going to poison him, then there wasn't much he could do about it. As long as he was trapped, he'd either eat it or starve. He didn't know what to expect when he ate one of the little bits, so the taste was a pleasant surprise. Not meat, not any plant he recognized, but definitely similar to a meat pastry. The texture was soft, and it seemed to melt on his tongue - but in a good way. He smiled.

"That's delicious," Kurama said. "Thank you." He reached out to accept the tray and his smile faltered. The male didn't let go or look at him, just standing there with it. Not sure what to do, Kurama tilted his head and pulled his hand back. "Do you want to share?" Wide red eyes flashed up at him, and he blinked in surprise. The startled expression made him look so young, not the least bit of that dangerous air Kurama had sensed from him earlier. But the male still didn't speak, dropping his eyes almost immediately.

The silence was starting to get to him. Kurama frowned in discomfort. He was hungry, but he didn't really want to eat with the male just standing there. Ignoring the food, he took the time to actually look at him. He was short, with black hair that stood in an odd sweep over his head, almost like a flame. There were bits of white over his forehead, but the rest was pure black, just like that odd clothing he wore. And those wide eyes were unusual, shaped like some feline. The red color wasn't nearly as strange as how wide the male's eyes were. With his pale face and dark clothing, it made him look like he'd never seen daylight.

And that look he'd given him...nothing like the glare from earlier. If he hadn't heard the male's deep voice when he offered to take him to his 'den' he would have been sure he was a child. Den. The thought reminded him of what he was expected to do with this person, and Kurama scowled. "Is that woman serious about this curse?" A sharp nod answered him, making him frown more. Why wouldn't he look at him? More silence ate at him, and Kurama finally leaned away. "I'm not hungry, so you can put that back."

The male's left eyebrow twitched, and Kurama blinked when he gave a slight frown. Then he crouched suddenly, setting the tray to the side. When he stood, it was to turn a blank face up at Kurama. As much as he'd disliked having the male not look at him, that dead stare was even worse. It was unerving. Kurama frowned and folded his arms over his chest. "You really expect to have a baby?" he asked. A sharp nod was his answer. "And you're male?" Another nod. Kurama gave an exasperated sigh, scowling at him. "How can a male get pregnant? What *are* you?" Those dark red eyes narrowed a bit, but the face remained blank.

"Demon seed."

Kurama blinked at how evenly that was given. It sounded like an insult, but the male said it as if it were nothing. And that seemingly blank gaze remained.

"I am the forbidden child."

With a soft sigh, Kurama shook his head. He'd already heard that much from the woman when she'd told about the curse. "What's your name?" This got a distinct reaction. The male scowled, all hints of that blank pretense washed away.

"What does it matter?"

Kurama groaned in frustration, throwing his hands up. He didn't notice the way his sharp movement made the male flinch and close his eyes. "You really plan to have sex because of some legend? With me! And you won't even tell me your name first? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Why would I cooperate if you don't even try to..." His words trailed off when he realized the male's eyes were closed. His own gaze dropped, noting the way the dark one was clenching his fists. If he angered him, what would they do to him? This was too dangerous. He wasn't in any position to risk that, not when he didn't even know where he was.

Kurama's voice softened, his gaze more calm. "You really are serious about this?" Those red eyes turned up to him, but the answering nod seemed more tentative this time. "How do you know I'm the one this prophecy was talking about?"

Red eyes blinked in visible surprise. "You're the white one. The only male to step food inside the temple."

"But you came in," Kurama frowned. The male didn't respond and he sighed. "You don't look much like the others." Those dark eyes flicked away, narrow once more. He looked angry again.

"Does...my appearance displease you?"

Did he think he'd insulted him? "No!" Kurama blurted, shaking his head. "I was just thinking that the women from earlier all looked the same. And you don't look anything like them." The male was still looking off to the right, and Kurama followed his gaze. He didn't see anything but the white curtain the male had entered through.

"What do you want me to change?"

Kurama shook his head again. "Nothing. You're fine the way you are." For a moment he thought he'd said the wrong thing, but the male's face was very blank. He wasn't glaring, he just wasn't looking at him either.

"Why do you hesitate, then? How have I displeased you?"

"What - you haven't," Kurama frowned. If anyone had upset him, it was that woman with her curse talk, expecting him to...

"Then there's no need to wait." Dark eyes turned back to Kurama. "I'm ready."

"Wh-" Kurama's eyes widened and he choked. "I'm not ready! You might be, but I'm not! Listen, I'm not going to have sex with a stranger just because of some prophecy I've never even heard before!" The male glared suddenly, and Kurama flinched when a low growl issued through clenched teeth. Blinking warily, Kurama leaned back on the bed. The male seemed to be shaking in anger. Was he going to attack him? He flinched again when those red eyes seemed to blaze into him. The look held him for a long moment before the male suddenly broke eye contact and dropped to the floor.

For a second he thought the male had collapsed or something. Kurama eased to closer to the edge of the bed and blinked down at the dark one. And his eyes widened in disbelief. The male was bowing to him like the woman had earlier. The same male who'd just *growled* in anger at him was now... His confusion upset him more than anything, and Kurama sighed, frowning down at that bowed head.

"Forgive me." The soft words made Kurama's eyes widen. "It is not my place to question what you want or when."

"No, it is not."

Kurama jerked around, staring at the old woman who was suddenly standing in the doorway. Her cold tone made the hairs on his tail rise - something he'd be embarrassed about later - but it was her right hand that made him freeze. She was holding a very wicked looking knife, about as long as her forearm. Did he even want to know what she planned to do with that? The woman moved forward, and Kurama reacted on instinct. In a second he was standing on the other side of the bed, wide wary eyes locked on that bright blade. He didn't even remember moving.

The woman didn't look at him, though, crossing to stand next to the still bowing male. Kurama blinked when he rose, those red eyes closed. "What are you-" Pale blue eyes turned on him, and he bit back his words. She'd lifted that knife and his gaze locked on it again. But she merely held it to the side and gave him a low half-bow.

"Forgive us for not having prepared him to your liking. It will be remedied immediately."

"That's not-" The old woman turned, and Kurama felt a sudden wash of heat rush his senses. She'd moved that knife toward the small male standing across the bed from him. He growled in sudden hot anger. "What are you doing?!"

"The remedy." The curved blade gave a light blue glow, and she pressed it to Hiei's forehead. A bit of pressure and she turned to stare at Kurama. "Your name?"

"...Kurama..." She was cutting him. Kurama's breath caught in his throat and he stared at the two in disbelief, his hands curled tightly. He could see the dark red blood trailing down the male's pale face, but he just stood there and let her. "Why are you-" The woman shifted back a step and he flinched at the dark cut. It opened. A dark blue eye in the middle of a pale bloody forehead. And it was staring at him.

"Hiei..."

The faint whisper reached him just before that eye closed. Then the male sagged, falling with a light but audible sound on the hard floor. The woman flinched back, jerking her robes free with a mottled scowl. Her disgusted expression seemed to trigger something in Kurama and he growled at her again. "What did you do? What was that?" He could feel his fingernails slicing his palms, but he didn't stop to wonder when they'd grown sharp. He had a very strong urge to strike the old woman, to use that blade on her. The surprised eyes she turned to him only made it stronger.

"Forgive us," she said, bowing again. "He will not displease you again. This is merely the initial reaction, do not hold it against us. I will wake him immediately."

"What-" The woman pulled what looked like a piece of paper from her robe and Kurama moved. He'd never seen something like that, but he knew it was bad. Just the sight of it enraged him. "Don't!" She dropped it a moment before he reached her. A terrified gasp left the woman as she flinched away from him, but he didn't even look at her when she rushed from the room.

That small slip of paper had landed on the male's arm, what looked like electricity igniting on contact. Kurama growled when the small male flinched and curled into a tight ball. A pale hand trembled, reaching toward the paper but not quite touching it. Because it was aimed for him. He couldn't remove it himself. The thought came to Kurama and he accepted it, not wondering how he knew that. Crouching beside him, Kurama jerked it free and crushed it in his palm. A wave of something made his hand glow, but again, he didn't think about it. The paper disappeared in that slight glow, and that was all that mattered.

A sketchy gasp reached him, but the male continued to shiver. Hiei. The name echoed in Kurama's mind. There was blood on the floor near Hiei's curved back, spots from that wound. That eye. But he wouldn't think of it now. A light touch found the male's arm very cold, and Kurama moved him, pulling him up. He'd spend some time wondering about his own instincts later, but for now he knew the male needed warmth. Though he hadn't made a sound, he was in pain. Because he didn't have enough...power? Energy? The word escaped him, but Kurama knew it was needed. With a dark glare at the white curtain the woman had escaped through, Kurama drew the male close. She would regret that. He would not forgive this. Why it mattered to him, he had no idea, but he knew it did.

* * *
TBC