Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Simple Darkness ❯ Prisoners' Triumphs ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
There were voices on the edge of my consciousness, but I couldn't understand what they were saying. It felt like I was floating, or at least I couldn't feel anything but my clothes.
“...So what are we going to do with her? Eat her? Hiei, out of all of the people there, you had to choose this chick? What a waste. Why bother bringing me then?”
At first things were nonsense, but after a moment I got the gist of the conversation. By the end of the sentence, I could tell it was that scaly feeling voice again, the one that seemed to be from a horrible looking demon, and it was starting to sound annoyed. Why was he here, and where was here, anyways?
“You are here because you were told to come. Now that you've fulfilled your purpose, you aren't needed. So I'd stay quiet before someone kills you out of sheer annoyance. I don't need anyone, and certainly not you.h
“Well Hiei, you obviously need her.”
It was those human sounding voices. Who did they belong to?
I tried to open my eyes, and sense came back to my body completely. I was lying face down, breathing the musky scent of dirt, moss, and maybe the sharp smell of energy. Moaning, I shifted, pulling my arm out from under my stomach. Wincing at the pain in my belly, I turned my head, and cracked open my eyes.
“She's awake then. You really didn't need to hit her that many times, Hiei.”
Who was this Hiei they were talking to? Why did that name seem so familiar? He seemed to be charge of this little escapade, although there might have been someone pulling the strings.
“Ooh, that smarts.” I sat up, rubbing my head and spitting out blood. “Geez, you guys really pack a punch. Why beat up a girl?” Shaking my head, I looked at my captors for the first time. I gasped, and blinked. Standing there, plain as day were two of the most powerful demons I'd probably ever meet. My mother had taught me many of the more powerful demons, to be able to watch out for them, and to know what I might be dealing with, but I doubted that I would ever meet one, much less two, of them. Or be captured by them...
In front of me, was the Hiei, master of the Dragon of the Darkness Flame, and Kurama, the human form of the demon bandit Yoko Kurama. They were Grade A material, and I was... some crappy ex-wannabe. Great.
“And why do I have the honor of meeting you three? Last I checked, my crimes haven't been anywhere near your scale.” Even though I was addressing all of them, I was looking at Hiei and Kurama.
“So you know who we are? Well, that makes things easier.” Kurama was smiling at me, good naturedly, and turned to Hiei.
“So now that we have her, and she knows who we are, all we have to do is get her back to the city and let Koenma know that we've got her. After that, you can go home.” I gaped at him, my eyes almost popping.
“What, now the royalty is after me?! This is insane! I could have sworn that I had gotten rid of that problem! That the gang activity, the theft, everything would stop!” I scowled, nearly equaling Hiei in his dark glower. His bloody red eyes gazed down at me, a figure of black. Admittedly, he was a short figure, but who was I to talk, my being 5'4''. I stretched my hands out, and tried to stand up, but found them to be bound, not ropes that were freer, and easier to get out of, but in iron shackles.
Geez, these guys just had to go all out.
“Was rope not good enough for you? You just had to use irons.h Kurama stared at me for a moment, then laughed. There was something I was missing.
“What...?” I still wasn't getting it.
“Sorry, it's just that you're kind of like Yusuke.”
“Yusuke...?”
“Urameshi. When he's not yelling at you for binding him in the first place, he's laughing about the situation.”
I blinked at the mention of the halfer, further surprised.
“But somehow I don't think that he would fit the situation right now...”
“Okay, but now what? Am I just going to stay here until I die? How boring is that?h
“Actually, like you heard, we're waiting for you to be able to run, and then we're going to take y-”
“So now you're here to entertain me until we move? Excellent.”
“Well, I never would say that we're entertainment...” Kurama kind of smirked at me, as if to say 'in your dreams', and I sighed dully.
“So what am I supposed to do? Sit here like an idiot? No thanks.”
“Why is this human acting like we are her pets?!” The monster was yelling at me now, and between my thinking this dude was a moron, and wondering how I was acting like I owned them. I got a good look at him.
He was a dark green, with a scaly hide. His eyes were an ugly yellow, and long black hair fell over his bare back, which had a line of short stubby spikes along his spine.
“What is your name?”
This dude was starting to seriously tick me off.
“I don't think that a mortal like you needs to know that.”
“I think that this mortal could beat the crap out of you.”
The demon stepped forward, I noticed that he had four legs, and raised his hand. He brought it down, and I didn't move, not out of weakness on my part, but out of defiance.
“You can't even dodge a slap.”
I glared at him, and he seemed like he was about to start a staring contest, when I spoke to him.
“What,” I spat, “do you need me for? If I'm hear to be beaten, then tell me so I can go out fighting.” I started to try to stand up, but a hand yanked the demon back.
“Yukokazi, you are here only out of need. If you are here simply to beat this girl, then die.” I looked over Kazi's shoulder, and frowned. Hiei was looking daggers at Kazi, but it wasn't out of a desire to protect me, but a deep annoyance and dislike for Kazi.
“So if you want to keep your life, keep her happy.” Kazi looked terrified, but seemed to want to continue fighting.
“Hiei, don't try to scare me. If it weren't for me, you'd still be stuck here, without this little brat. Remember, I am the one who helps regulate the passages to the Human World. Besides,h he sneered, gI know that you are on thin ice with the Spirit World. Even if I begged you, you could not kill me.h
Tucking away that valuable piece of info, I raised my eyebrows. It seemed like I was just going to have to sit here until they deemed me able to travel. Personally, I didn't think that there was any need to wait, but this was a good time to learn something new.
They moved away, talking about other things, presumably tactics or something that I wouldn't understand.
I slumped, fully aware that they never took their eyes off me for more then a few moments, and sighed again.
“Well, looks like I've got to do things myself,” I murmured, and slowly pulled out one of my trusty lock picks, that were hidden everywhere from the cuff of my sleeve, to a compartment in the hilt of my dagger. With agonizing slowness, I carefully picked my locks, and sat there after they were open, staring off into space for a while, wondering when would be a good time to make a run for it.
Deciding that now was as good as ever, I shifted, and suddenly stood up, shackles clattering to the ground...
Step, step, step...
I knew that I never really had a chance, but it made me feel better to think that I'd at least tried.
The sudden cold touch of steel rubbing against my neck made me stop, a confirmation that I was caught.
“Oops. You got me.” I was completely unconcerned, having been in this position before. I could just see Hiei rolling his eyes
At a light pressure on my legs, I glanced down, and saw vines climbing up, reaching my waist. Thorns covered every single vine, but I couldn't feel any of them cutting through my skin, although I could see the small droplets of blood appearing everywhere.
Adrenaline thudded out of me, just dropping away. I swayed, unable to prevent my legs from buckling. I fell back onto Hiei, who caught me automatically. Whoa, major head ache.
“What did you do to her?” Hiei was probably craning his neck, glaring at Kurama; not exactly happy that some random chick just flopped onto him.
“I only put a small amount of sedative in them! It shouldn't have affected her that much!”
Ah, that explained some things, although it wasn't the only factor in my sudden lack of energy.
But even as I was thinking this, my eyelids flickered, and yet again started to drift out of consciousness. Hiei must have picked me up, because the ground dropped away.

Well, it was starting to seem that I was going to be stuck here for a while. Until then, I could always learn some new things, even though I wasn't going to go back on my word. If I could help it, then I wasn't going to do anything that reminded me of a few years earlier.