Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Summer of the Dragon ❯ A Mission ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Summer of the Dragon- Chapter 1

By Demon Alexiel

Disclaimer: YYH is copyrighted by FUNimation… I think…

Notes: This reminds me of my summer… heh… well, this should be good.

@~@~@~@~@~@

Yusuke leaned back in his chair on the porch just watching the clouds float by. The summer had started and school was out for a few months. With all the time on his hands, Yusuke didn't quite know what to do other than fool around or fight. The first week of summer had been great. Yusuke yawned and closed his eyes. "Yusuke!"

Yusuke practically fell out of the chair and onto the porch. "What the hell?!" he cried rubbing his head. His mother, Atsuko, poked her head out the kitchen window. "Yusuke, can you run to the market for me?" She waved a shopping list out the window. "I'm busy Mom!" Yusuke spat back setting up the chair again. Atsuko narrowed her eyes. "Doing what? Laying around? It'll do you some good to go out." Yusuke rolled his eyes and grabbed the list. "Fine! As long as you leave me alone for the rest of the day." Atsuko wasn't listening. She had already pulled her head back inside and closed the window. "Some parent…" Yusuke muttered shoving the list in the back pocket of his jeans. Jamming his hands into his pockets, he strolled out onto the sidewalk heading for the market place.

The shops were busy, mostly filled with kids hanging out and enjoying their vacation. Yusuke smiled fondly as he passed the store that Keiko's parents owned. "Maybe later I'll stop by and see what she's up to." Yusuke said to himself. Walking on, just a block from the grocery store, Yusuke thought, "By the way, what ever happened to Kuwabara?"

The bell in the grocery store jingled as Yusuke came in. It was cold and clean inside and very few people were there, besides the employees. Yusuke read the list off in his mind. "Ice, paper towels, rice, milk…" he thought grabbing one of the small red baskets. The top fighter of Sariaski Jr. High… or of Sariaski High since he was going to be a freshman… strolled casually down the aisles gathering up the things on his mother's list. After succeeding in finding everything, Yusuke came up to the check out where the cashier was standing, his back turned to Yusuke. "Hey, is this line open?" Yusuke asked. The clerk turned around. "Uh, ya."

"Kuwabara?!?!" Yusuke cried noticing his tall friend was the cashier. He had on an apron over his jeans and shirt. Yusuke burst out laughing and Kuwabara's eye brows twitched. "What so funny…? Wait, don't answer that." Noticing he was being ignored, Kuwabara smacked Yusuke on the head. "Shut up! It's not my fault I'm doing this!" Yusuke stopped and leaned on the counter. "Why are you doing this?" Kuwabara sighed. "Shizuru made me get a summer job. Either this or I'll be sleeping outside. I have no choice." Yusuke paid and then smiled. "Oh well, at least you get some money." Kuwabara nodded and then his watch's alarm went off. "Oh, hey, it's my break. I'm off for the day. You wanna go get something to eat?"

Yusuke took a bite of his rice. "So this is where you've been the entire week. You should've told me." Kuwabara put down his chopsticks. "Hey, you think I like being caught in that gay apron? Not exactly a cool thing for the former thug of Sariaski Jr. High to be caught in." Yusuke frowned. "You like taking my title don't you?" Kuwabara ignored his. "I wonder if Kurama and Hiei are having any better luck…"

Kurama, or should we say Shuichi, watched the clock intently. "Hmm, what a slow day. And it`s already four o`clock…" he sighed. The flower shop was quiet and Shuichi was all by himself. Suddenly, his boss came out of the back room with an arm full of roses. "Shuichi, you're off for the day kid." Shuichi bowed. "Thank you sir." Happy to be free of the boring shop, he strolled out into the sunlight. His house was across the way but he ignored is and headed for the park. The shade was welcoming, especially on this hot day. Taking a seat under an oak tree, Shuichi fell asleep.

Shuichi woke with a start as an acorn bounced off his head and into his lap. Looking up, Shuichi saw a figure in the tree. "Hiei, my friend, there's no need to hide. No one's here." Hiei jumped out of the tree landing on his feet next to his partner in crime. "Kurama, it's good to see you again." Kurama came to his feet. "Same here. Just next time don't wake me." Hiei smiled slightly. "You still have a sense of humor, I see." Kurama nodded. "Any news my friend?" Hiei folded his arms in front of him. "A demon uprising in Hawaii. Over in the United States." "Why haven't you told Yusuke yet?" Hiei leaned against the tree. "That detective, I was just about to when I spotted you. Any idea where he is?" Kurama nodded again. "I think so. He usually hangs out at the restaurant Keiko's family owns." Hiei shrugged. "It's worth a try."

Kuwabara looked up as the store door opened. "Hiei, Kurama, why are you guys here!?!" Yusuke looked up too. "Hmm, surprise huh?" Yusuke said with a smile. Kurama nodded. "Yusuke, I didn't know if you had heard about the demon uprising in Hawaii yet. Have you?" Yusuke shook his head cautiously. "I guess that means Botan will be giving me the mission soon." Kuwabara smiled. "So we're going to Hawaii?!" Hiei grunted. "Who said you were coming?" "Hey, listen shrimp, I'm coming whether or not you want me to!" Kurama shook his head. "They never stop do they?" "I guess not. Anyways, how in name of hell are we going to get there?" Kurama shrugged. "That's up to Lord Koenma to decide." Yusuke stood up. "What do ya say we go see if Botan's come?" Kurama and Yusuke walked out with Kuwabara and Hiei (still fighting) behind them.

Botan sighed. "Atsuko, when do you expect Yusuke back?" Atsuko flipped her hair. "Any minute. It shouldn't take this long to get groceries." Yusuke came up the path and onto the porch with the other three. "Hey mom." he said dropping the groceries at her feet. "What took you so long?" Botan cried. Kuwabara glanced around nervously. "It's a long story." he said. Yusuke bit his lip to keep himself from laughing at the picture of Kuwabara at his job. "Botan, I think I already got the news. Our mission is the demon uprising in Hawaii, right?" Botan nodded and rummaged through the sleeve of her kimono. "Ah! Here they are!" Botan whipped out an envelope. "Five tickets to Hawaii, maps, oh! This is what I need to show you!" Botan took out five plastic cards. "These are Makai charge cards. Anything you put on these will come back to Lord Koenma to pay. Very generous of him, don't you think?" Yusuke's eyes got wide. "Unlimited money…sweet!" Botan nodded and put the cards back right as Yusuke tried to grab one. "You guys leave tomorrow. Just one thing… you need a guardian. A grown-up, you know." Everyone groaned. "Damn! Well, maybe Shizuru will come… she sleeps the entire time anyway…" Kuwabara muttered. Yusuke nodded. "Shizuru is our best bet. Unfortunately…" Botan summoned her oar. "Well then, be here tomorrow at eight o'clock. The flight is out of Kaidan at nine o'clock. Good luck!" Botan mounted her oar and took off into the clouds leaving the boys standing on the porch. "So, this is an all expense paid trip to Hawaii." Kurama said with a smile. "A vacation in paradise!" Kuwabara laughed. "Hardly paradise with you there." Hiei muttered. "Hey! What is your problem twerp?!" Yusuke turned to Kurama. "Well, this should be our most interesting mission yet."