Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ That's What Friends Do or Makai Plants Book One ❯ Kuwabara Helps... ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Warnings and disclaimer first chapter, also shifting POV
 
Chapter 7: Kuwabara Helps, Hiei's Imagination, and Kurama's Amusement
 
“We need you to break down the barrier that's around Kurama,” Hiei said sullenly, obviously not wanting to ask the human for help. Kuwabara grinned. This was the Hiei he was used to - independent and only grudgingly asking for help. He thought about telling the little demon he wouldn't help, but thought that Hiei would kill him without a second thought if he refused. (Actually, Hiei might just have broken down in tears and begged, but Kuwabara doesn't have to know that!) So Kuwabara just nodded and was surprised when the fire demon picked him up and started running toward their friends a mile or so away. Hiei's speed made him dizzy, so he stopped trying to see and just closed his eyes until he felt Hiei drop to the ground and release him.
 
Hiei talked to Yusuke and Yukina a second and then ordered Kuwabara to destroy the barrier. Kuwabara looked at the fox demon and was surprised at how horrible he looked. No wonder Hiei had been so worried! Kuwabara lowered his walls and felt for the barrier. It was amazingly hard to detect, despite its obvious power. It seemed to be trying to hide from him, oddly enough. It shifted, making it hard to plan where to hit it. He figured out that it was centered on the kitsune's heart, so he decided to cut closer to his friend than he would have liked to. He concentrated his spirit energy into the shape of a longsword and slashed down at the spot he had chosen. The barrier shimmered red and disappeared.
 
He sighed and smiled at Yukina, feeling all warm and fuzzy inside when she grinned back. He watched the drama unfold: Hiei and Yukina channeling life force while Kurama screamed in pain. He felt Kurama put up a shield to keep Hiei from draining himself too much. (He would have thought that Hiei was just being stubborn if he did the same thing in Kurama's situation, but he knew that Kurama genuinely cared about his friend's well-being.) He saw Kurama transform and winced at how little energy the demon emitted. He heard Kurama's story and wanted to kill the bastard who had nearly killed his friend and teammate. Then he picked the kitsune up and walked with Yusuke, who was carrying Hiei, back to the city when his friends finally passed out in exhaustion.
 
\\\ /// \\\ ///
 
Hiei woke up feeling tired and drained of energy (which he was!). He stared at the ceiling. Ceiling? I'm not sleeping under the stars?! What happened? Suddenly, he remembered. But where am I ? He twisted, looking around the room and stopped upon seeing a head of red hair.
 
“Kurama?” He said bleerily. He sat up and looked at his sleeping friend. No wounds were visible, but he looked like someone who had almost died. He slept deeply. As deep as the dead sleep?
 
Hiei shook his head at himself, then said aloud, “Baka! Look! His chest is…” Not moving!
 
“No!” Hiei jumped out of bed and raced to his friend's side. He hesitantly put his hand on Kurama's chest, over his heart. He sighed. “It must have been my imagination.” He startled when he saw the kitsune's eyes open, wide and green and merry as ever.
 
\\\ /// \\\ ///
 
Kurama woke up when Hiei said his name. He kept his eyes closed, cataloging his aches and pains, dismissing the minor hurts he still had. He held his breath when he heard Hiei talk again. To his surprise, this worried the fire demon greatly. He felt his friend's tension as he checked his heart beat and his sigh of relief when he felt it. What's going on here? When he heard Hiei mutter about imagining things, Kurama openned his eyes, smiling at his friend's worries. He stopped smiling when he saw a tear gem roll down his friend's face and strike the ground.
 
TBC…
 
Author's Note: Sorry for the shortness, how long it took to update, and the slight cliffie there. I'll update ASAP. Please review (and say nice things).