Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ The Guarding of Chaos ❯ It Begins, One's Chance ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own any characters except Hikari Spirit and any people in her city.
 
Edit2: I looked at this chapter again, intent on fixing a mistake that someone so thoughtfully said made Hikari a Mary Sure only to find s/he had miss read the words. When the physical description at the end is being said, it goes her Mother, Father then police. So Police only describe her clothing!! Heehee, feel so much better.
 
“….”= talking
`..'= thinking or thoughts
{…}= thoughts passed between Hikari and her guardian
 
The Guarding of Chaos
 
It Begins, One's Chance
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Spirit Lake. Small town, not too many things happen there. Short of its almost complete destruction just before the turn of the 1900's nothing important has happened. No famous people once called it home. No track stars were birthed in this hospital. The students are average, and the only thing most people take pride in is the marching band. Yeah, nothing really important happens in Spirit Lake, Wisconsin. Well, nothing used to. I'm just going to blame my brother, in part, and of course, the Reikai. Well, let it begin.
 
Hikari Spirit, young girl, stood near her “friends”. They were talking, and so far not one word had passed her lips to enter the conversation. They ignored her rather well.
She took it, just as she did everyday. They had met at a local restaurant, named amply the Four Corners, for it was on a four way intersection in the middle of town, where Main Street, more commonly known as a highway, split the city. As she mulled over her wisdom of showing up to something she knew she wasn't going to enjoy, one friend noticed her.
 
“Yo, Lampshade,” one said, Jennifer Birich, her supposed best friend. Hikari winced at the nickname. She'd never get rid of it. Her name just had to mean light. She just had to tell people with pride. The class clown had to put a lampshade on her head in first grade. Others finally noticed her presence, and one in particular got a nasty glint in her eye. Whispers were said to the other girls and soon the pick fest started, Hikari, the intended target. Hikari took it just as she had since her friends had changed. Or maybe she changed. Yeah that was it, she changed, and she deserved the abuse. Eventually though, it hit a nerve, and Hikari ran away, leaving laughing little demons behind, and not the cute ones.
 
She ran in the snow for it was winter, December to be precise. She was heading to her cousin's house. Hers was out of the question. She lived a mile out of town and had to beg for the ride in to get together with them. So she walked down the street, slowed from her pervious run. I have to walk more or something, this is just pathetic. Her thoughts didn't get much farther as suddenly strong arms wrapped around her. She screamed and then heard a laugh. She turned to see one of the few friends who didn't now hate her. Calvin, a sweet, big, tough guy.
 
“You should be more careful,” he chided. Hikari blushed in embarrassment.
 
“I'll keep that in mind, thanks,” she replied.
 
“Want company?” he asked.
 
“Nay, I'll be fine. Besides didn't you have plans for today?” Calvin muttered yes, asked once more, and then left. Hikari continued in a leisurely pace to her cousin's. Then another pair of arms went around her. She didn't struggle or scream. Calvin again. But then a rag went over her mouth and nose, and when her shocked mind registered this, it was too late to struggle. She went under, and the man smiled, having triumphed. The East River Killer had another victim.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Japan
 
Hiei sat in a tree, trying to ignore the sounds coming from below him. Yusuke and Kuwabara were fighting. He doubted they even remembered what they were fighting about. He personally thought if Yusuke gave Kuwabara another dent in the head it wouldn't be such a bad thing. Kurama thought otherwise, and was trying to stop the teens from seriously injuring each other.
 
“Hiei! Could I get a hand down here please?” Kurama asked. Apparently negotiations weren't working. Hiei jumped down unwillingly, but not willing to give Kurama another reason to yell at him. He grabbed Yusuke's fist, which would have hit him because of where he had jumped down to. The two boys threw insults at each other for a while longer, but the sun was going down, and as good as it sounded to let them figure this out now, some wanted to get home.
 
“Yusuke, Kuwabara, why don't you finish this tomorrow. Rest up. It would be better then doing it now just after a mission.” The two boys reluctantly agreed with Kurama, and walked away.
 
“They were hurting themselves more now then the mission had hurt them in the first place,” Kurama said to Hiei who still stood there.
 
“Hn,” he shrugged, and flitted away. Kurama sighed. Was it just him, or had Hiei managed to become even more antisocial as of late?
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Spirit Lake's very small police department
 
“We have a problem, Captain! I don't think we can keep them out any longer,” one rather new officer stated. Just outside the door were Hikari's parents, James and Victoria Spirit, defense lawyer, and journalist respectively. Both were distraught about their daughter's kidnapping.
 
“Tell us what you know!” Vicky demanded. She knew half of these people and knew when they didn't tell her the truth. It had been a day since Hikari had gone missing and only hours since someone had finally told them that Hikari had been seen being dragged into a snow covered vehicle.
 
“Please! We will tell you what we know when we get more information. Right now we don't have any new information to share. I'm sorry, and I know you're worried, but you need to go home and rest. You're no help tired,” the kindly Captain said as gently as he could to the parents. As the others left the room, he looked back at the parents. They still didn't move.
 
“I know you can't lose her. That you can't bury another part of your family. But trust me we will try everything to get your daughter back. You have my word on that.”
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Next day, outside Spirit Lake City Hall
 
“Our daughter's name is Hikari Michelle Spirit. She has been missing for forty-eight hours,” her mother moved away as she started to sob. She knew there was little chance of finding her girl alive anymore. Her husband started up again.
 
“She's 4' 9”, short for her age which is 14. She's got long, light brown hair. She has clear emerald green eyes...” The police moved the father out of the way, and continued to explain.
 
“She was last seen wearing a green winter coat. She had no hat or gloves unfortunately, and wore a long sleeve blue shirt underneath with a pair of jeans. If you know anything please, we need to know what you know now, not later, her life rests in the information we can gather. We can still bring her home.”
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
This is terrible, absolutely terrible. Hikari! Oh poor child. This wasn't supposedto happen. This wasn't what I saw! She'd not supposed to die. Why do the Fates hate me, hate those with the blood? Oh her father must be devastated. Oh why does life hate them so?” The woman moved around at a fast pace, and it increased with every step. Her words echoed in the room and radiated in the mind of one half koorime as he slept.
 
~*~*~*~*~ TBC