Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ The Observer ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

All my life as Shuiichi Minamino, I've had everything anyone could possibly want. My parents adore me, my brother adores me, and the girls at school certainly adore me. I have almost perfect grades. But the one thing I want most eludes me.
 
Hiei, the Forbidden Child of the Makai.
 
To everyone, our relationship is simply that of best friends. That's all Hiei regards me as: a friend. He's like bait attached to a string; so close, but each time I reach out it pulls away, until I finally surface in the bleak world. The air of realization hits me.
 
He will never be my lover.
 
The irony is just sickening.
 
I am simply the observer, the smart one, the one who makes the intelligent comments at duels. The commentator watches from a distance, never close enough to touch the players.
 
Often, I think I am simply an observer in life. On the sidelines. Perhaps my status as an observer was confirmed when I became trapped in the body of Shuiichi Minamino. I've simply had too many perspectives to be able to be able to play a fair game.
 
“Is that it?”, I softly speak out loud to Fate, “is it my destiny to never have Hiei?”. A gust of twilight wind blows through the half opened window; I can swear it whispers, `yes'.
 
Why can I not be stoic with this? I've always been able to accept everything else that's happened to me and adapt.
 
Is Hiei that important to me?
 
I'm suddenly annoyed at the koorime. How can he have that much power over me? How does he challenge my basic instincts of adaption? Without warning, and image of him flashes in my mind. My question is answered. In the image, his crimson eyes give threatening look to anyone who dares cross him. He holds an almost unbreakable barrier around his emotions. I want to break the barrier and tell him it will be all right. I want to hug his small body frame and caress his sleek, black hair.
 
I lean back as my long, red locks cascade down the back of my desk chair, and dig into my mind for a scene taking place a few months ago. It sums it all up:
 
Kuwabara and the girls and I were playing cards in a hotel room during the Dark Tournament and joking and laughing. Everyone would listen intently to me when I spoke, but I spoke rarely. I was fixated upon something else.
 
“Why don't you join us, Hiei? We're almost like a family.”, I spoke to the small figure sitting on the windowsill, staring outdoors.
“Shut up Kurama, before I rip out that precious voicebox of yours.” He retorted, his consonants annunciated sharply, piercing my dignity.
 
I think it was raining that day.
 
But I didn't try to convince him. I respected him and continued playing, but with no enthusiasm. I forced smiles and let out hollow laughs; no one would know how much his comment hurt me. Because, like any good observer, I will evaluate the situation with all fairness.