Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Par Tout Autre Nom ❯ Welcome Distractions ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: Inuyasha and Yu Yu Hakusho belong respectively to Rumiko Takahashi and Yoshihiro Togashi.

 

 

~*~*~*~

 

 

By Any Other Name

 

~Welcome Distractions ~

 

 

 

Kagome walked along beside her younger brother quietly, listening attentively as he continued to regale her with story after story of what had happened to him and all the things he'd done since she'd been away. On the one hand, it was easy to listen to him speaking, nodding her head and laughing whenever she found something to be humorous about the particular incident he was describing. But… on the other hand, she felt… restless. Out of place amongst the regular people walking all around them, enjoying their weekend or rushing to school; all going on about their lives with no worry of mythical or supernatural creatures bearing down on them to threaten their lives, or ravage the country side.

The cars and random sounds were almost painful to her ears, unfamiliar and nearly forgotten after so long away from such things; even the smell and feel of the air curling around her in a strangely oily film, giving her a glimpse of how irritating the future must have truly been for her much more sensitive hanyou friend. And just how irritating she was finding it from time to time.

She stayed close to Souta's side, keeping her expression relatively calm despite her inner turmoil, and automatically scanning her surroundings with the alert care only known to those who'd been hunted by the most powerful of creatures. Her lips curved upwards in a bit of sardonic amusement when she caught herself ridiculing the people around her who walked with such heavy, loud steps, thinking that anyone would be able to hear them coming a mile away… until she remembered that it really didn't matter in this time. Silence was no longer so necessary in a person's movements.

Knock it off, Kagome, she scolded herself, frowning as she continued to assess and dismiss the people that passed by them. You're going to have to readjust to the future… you obviously weren't supposed to stay in Sengoku Jidai if wishing got you sent back here. You can't look at everything the same way you had to do to survive before, you'll start sounding as bad as Sesshoumaru-sama, and then you'll just have to strangle yourself.

Thoughts of the frigidly elegant taiyoukai had her sighing softly in a moment of melancholy reflection, longing for a moment that she could have the peace of the undeveloped past and everything she'd left behind. Still… her eyes slid over to where Souta was keeping pace with her, his eyes bright and lively while he had yet to stop grinning or chattering in a way that put her in mind of a certain precocious little kitsune she dearly missed.

I couldn't leave my family here again, especially Souta, he stopped at the curb, glancing down the street to make certain he had a moment for the lights to turn before he would have to be ready. Not after Okaa-san told me everything. He was so worried about me…

Souta had pulled out his list, frowning slightly at the lines drawn through four of the potential temples already before he double-checked the address of their next stop, "You really weren't impressed by that last guy, were you?"

Kagome made a faint sound of disgusted agreement, reaching over to grab Souta's ear and yank it, "Never trust a man who tells you that he can teach you everything. Besides, his aura was practically nonexistent. He may have had the potential, or the power when he was young, but he long since burned it out."

Souta was quiet for a second, not moving even when the light changed as he stared at his older sister, "You really grew up… I still remember, the last time you left, you were never so serious about magic, especially your own abilities."

"Things change," she caught his hand, tugging him into a walk before they missed the traffic cycle. "And it was either get serious, or get killed. I wasn't about to let anyone else die after everything we'd been through already."

"I wish I could have seen it," Souta sighed regretfully, falling into step with her again.

Kagome bit down hard on her tongue, hands clenching when she felt the faint thrum go through her soul at the innocent words and just barely stopping herself before she snapped at him to never say such things again. When he turned a concerned look to her, she took a breath to calm herself and shook her head, "No, Souta, you don't, and I wouldn't wish in a million years for you to be involved in matters like what I fought."

She still hates to say his name, Souta let out a sigh, reaching out to take her hand again when they reached the opposite curb and pulling her off the way they were supposed to go. "Your aura went crazy for a second… I lost it completely," he said instead, offering her an "out" to a new topic rather than dragging her into even more painful memories.

Kagome blinked, but then laughed softly, ruffling his hair to show that she knew exactly what he was doing, "Yeah, I'm broken that way. Most people throw it off, but since I purified the jewel, it's backwards. Miroku told me once that it was like I was sucking my own soul into an empty place, but not. The more it feels like it's going away, the stronger it's getting. And no, I don't know how or why it does that."

"Can you teach me to do that?" Souta exclaimed suddenly, eyes wide and pleading as he darted around in front of her to make her stop and answer him.

She burst out laughing at that, shoving her hand against his shoulder to twist him around and getting him going, "Do you even know what I just said?"

"Not really, but it sounds awesome!" he clapped his hands together in front of his heart and grinned again. "C'mon, Nee-san, you have to teach me. I'll be the best student, cross my heart!"

Kagome rolled her eyes, leaning a little closer to murmur the only reason she and Miroku had managed to settle on to him quietly, "Souta… I think the only reason I do it is because of the jewel. I don't know how or even really why my soul retracts as soon as I'm threatened or excited. It may just be that the jewel doesn't want to be caught again, and it doesn't want any creatures feeling the kind of energy inside me. They'd be curious."

"You're talking like it thinks for itself," Souta wrinkled his nose.

It does now, Kagome wanted so badly to say, but held her silence rather than start her brother asking more questions that she didn't want to answer, even if she knew how to answer what she was certain he would voice. "The Shikon no Tama is something I don't think anyone will ever understand," she said instead and reached out to clasp his hand. Not unless… something happened.

"I'll take your word for it," he assured her, sensing the unease in her touch. She still shied away from most of the family's questions about what exactly happened in the time with no word or communications, and Souta had already been given "suggestions" from their mother and grandfather to use their time away on getting her to readjust and open up again. Okaa-san thinks that I can do it. I have to… I can be the strong one this time, can't I? Isn't that what I wanted to do this for? Train for? I wanted to be able to help Kagome when she returned.

They continued to walk, Souta lost in his own determined thoughts and Kagome ever alert to the life sources around her in ways her younger sibling could only hope to fathom in a lifetime. So far the only youki she'd felt had been whispers, as though the signatures had been wiped clean and left only echoes behind. That didn't stop her from looking though, searching for anything that would give her a connection to the life she'd adapted to in the past and ground her in this time as well. She still needed them to-

"We still have three more temples in this district to check, Kagome," Souta finally offered, making a show of holding up the hand-written page with names and addresses for what Jii-chan's inquiries had given them. "We're closest to this one here," he pointed to the second-to-last entry.

Kagome blinked as her attention narrowed back down to the one harmless object, glancing at Souta's face and finally giving him a warm, loving smile when she clearly saw the look of worry in his eyes, "Let's get moving then. I'd hate to miss the movers and end up having to carry all your boy-shit down the shrine stairs with just your wimpy arms to help me."

Souta's eyes lit with delight even as he took up a more classic stance and managed a perfectly offended tone, "Wimpy? I'll show you wimpy when we find a temple, Nee-san! Just you wait and see how hard I've been practicing!"

Her laughter rang out over the raucous sounds of traffic, making Souta's chest puff out with pride when she clapped him hard on the back, wrapping an arm around his shoulder and nodding, "Hai, hai! We'll see how well you've been practicing."

"You won't be disappointed, Nee-san, I promise," his voice took on a serious edge that had her brows lifting in surprise before she smiled again.

"Souta…" she reached up and jerked on his unruly hair, making him swat at her hand in pure sibling fashion. "I would be proud if you were in remedial classes and mispronounced every other word you tried to speak. Really."

"Then you'll be really proud," he nodded decisively, checking the list again before he stepped slightly ahead of her and started to check landmarks and addresses.

Kagome started to follow when she felt a faint thrum of sensation at the base of her skull, coming to a complete halt and scarcely daring to breathe as her eyes went wide and the sounds of the world fell away. Youki? she lifted a hand, clenching her fingers in her shirt over her heart as she took a deep breath and tried to focus on the source. Is it true? Did some youkai stay in the human world? Did they live all this time?!

"Nee-san!" Souta's shout, and the hand coming down on her shoulder shattered her concentration, jerking her head up to stare at her brother in confusion before he turned and pointed behind him. "I said I found it. Are you okay? You looked like your mind was a million miles away just then…"

Gone… dammit, Kagome frowned briefly before she shook her head and held up her hands innocently, "Nothing serious, Souta… I was just thinking is all, I promise. Memories, you know." It was there; I know it was!

Souta nodded, but he gave her a look that told her he wasn't about to let her give him empty excuses and fake smiles when they were alone, "C'mon then… this one's not really well known, and Jii-chan said that he only heard of it through a friend of his at his retreat last year."

Kagome followed her brother up the steps, her own stride slowing when the stone under her feet seemed to warm, radiating outward like ripples before returning to her with an ancient hum of energy, This temple…

"Hurry up, Nee-san!" Souta called back to her, unable to explain it, but feeling an odd sort of restlessness the closer he came to the old-style shoji at the top of the stairs. His senses were humming, telling him that there was old power here, real power and not just the imitations that he'd seen so many of in his attempts to find a teacher. Kagome had to like this one…

"I'm coming, I'm coming!" she called back up to him, making a shooing motion with her hand. "Mou, there's more to feeling out a temple's authenticity than meeting the head priest or monks," she clucked her tongue in disapproval, moving closer to the edge of the stair to brush her fingers against the stone and feel it out more directly. "Aren't you supposed to be learning how to be patient? Zen?"

Souta stuck his tongue out at her, "I'll be `zen' when I'm damn good and ready." Right now you need a brother, not a monk. "Now get moving or I'll start thinking you're gotten lazy in your old age. These steps are nothing compared to home!"

"You wait till I get my hands on you," Kagome promised him, unable to keep her lips from spreading in a smile even as her eyes narrowed in a way that had Souta laughing and bounding up the stairs two at a time.

"Laaazy!" he called out tauntingly, pausing at the top to move his hands in a respectful prayer and bow before he opened the shoji and disappeared inside for her to follow.

Kagome just shook her head, following at a more sedate pace while a faint breeze picked up, just enough to pick up her hair and toss it across her face. She came to a stop again, one hand resting on the edge of the shoji while she pushed it back behind her ear and inhaled the pure flavor to that simple breeze, only to frown when she caught the echoes of youki again.

She twisted around to try and follow it back to the source this time, eyes flashing pink for a split second before settling back to deep blue as she watched a young man go speeding past her on a pair of roller blades. There was a breath, a heartbeat where time seemed to freeze, bringing the man into stark detail, but still… vague. She had the impression of colors, red and blond hair styled like a model or a rock star, and clothes obviously expensive, designer, and selected to outline his carefully kept body. A face too pretty for a human, and a perfect smile with slightly sharper canines than a human ought to have.

Then the moment passed, leaving her staring after the vanishing figure with a frown of confusion. The sounds of the modern world again sifted away, only that breeze and the lingering echo that seemed to distort and bounce around even in the wake of that strange person.

"Youkai…"

 

~*~*~*~

 

Kurama couldn't help but wince when the walk back from their latest assignment brought them past a display of bridal and baby magazines, even worse when their female companions (one in particular) couldn't resist drawing their attention to it, or stopping them for a closer look. Fortunately for him, the only one who noticed his discomfort was his short, outwardly stoic friend…Unfortunately, Hiei happened to feel quite safe to torment Kurama about his reaction, so long as none of the "humans" could hear him do it.

That human mother of yours must be starting to worry, Hiei's "comment" had an edge of absolutely wicked amusement that earned him a quick, unobtrusive glare from the more even-tempered man. Her precious baby is getting older with no girlfriend in sight. That means no grandbabies, doesn't it?

When did you become so interested in human practices, Hiei? Kurama clenched his jaw, focusing on keeping his expression calm and composed through the uncharacteristic urge to throttle the short demon. Hiei was too good and hitting too close to the source of Kurama's current problems, and from that obnoxious little smirk on his face, he knew it and was reveling in every minute of it.

Since they became such a wonderful source of entertainment for me, he responded matter-of-factly. I had never thought the `great Youko Kurama' would have a common fear with Yuusuke, but I was…obviously mistaken.

That little punk was definitely reveling in it, he turned his gaze out to the occasional street traffic at that sour thought, not wanting the others to possibly glimpse the unease in his expression, There really are more problems than I originally prepared for.

Hiei simply waited, knowing better than to rush when his youkai companion was still attempting to sort out the puzzle in his own mind. Better to let him dig the hole deeper on his own before he started piling it on thicker.

My mother believes that if I wait much longer, I'll be "too old" to make a good match, Kurama's lips twisted in distaste at the very thought. She doesn't say it to me, but I can see it in her eyes when I visit her.

Indeed, if possible, the amusement only deepened. You'll be all of what? Thirty human years old next month? Teetering on the very edge of your young and virile days.

If we weren't in public, Hiei, I would kill you, Kurama closed his eyes, feeling his eyebrow start to twitch when Youko was instantly furious and hissing in his their head that he'd show the cheeky little bastard teetering on his young and virile days despite the calmer side of his psyche's attempts to reach a less volatile solution.

But we are quite in public, and you're forever attempting to maintain a certain reputation, Hiei's expression never changed, but Kurama could hear the smug snickering in his head clear as a bell. Come now, can't the legendary bandit come up with a solution to this puzzle as well? You believe yourself to be so incomparably beautiful and charming, yet you can't manage to find a single human girl willing to give you a baby and appease your mother?

Kurama blew out a slow, heavy sigh under the cover of passing cars, aware that human ears would not be able to differentiate the sound while he counted each that passed until his new desire to all out deck the hybrid had faded. A quick glance back at the others assured him they were still being effectively distracted by glossy images of pink cheeked infants and bright advertisements as he leaned back against a light pole, Humans expect commitment with offspring, you idiot. What the hell would I say? "I'm really a kitsune overtaking my human body a little at a time, but my human mother doesn't know that or believe it and wants her `son' to marry and settle down. Have kids… By the way, I'll be gone a lot and you won't be able to get in touch with me or ask any questions about what I'll be doing while I'm away. There's a possibility I'll get killed, but don't worry, I'll always remember to bring you flowers when I'm still alive and at home."

Hiei blinked, cocking his head ever so slightly to one side as he pondered that slightly bitter tirade before shrugging, Why not?

Kurama actually smacked a hand over his eyes at that, just barely restraining the urge to groan by biting down on his lip and throwing a scowl in response to his bland expression, Humans aren't like that, Hiei.

Find one who is, he retorted with a hint of disgust, as though it was the most obvious answer in the world. It was fun to tease Kurama about his romantic troubles, but if the kitsune was going to let it affect him so negatively, he needed to get a shove in the right direction, Billions of them in this realm and you don't think you can find even one bizarre enough and taken enough by your pretty face to say yes? Hell, find a stupid one.

Kurama was just about to give him an answer to that in four letters or less when an almost melodic voice cut through their distraction with a shouted "Heads up!" The warning was just enough to alert the group to duck down and avoid getting their heads knocked off by a pair of roller blades when their owner took a direct way of getting through the pedestrians.

"What the fuck-?" Yuusuke had just started when a frantic looking businessman shoved through the people in his path with absolutely no regard for their balance or surroundings, his eyes trained on the skater alone.

"Get back here, you lousy, conniving little shit!" he raged, panting and waving his fists in what was obviously supposed to be a threatening manner, but was definitely not getting the desired results.

The skater turned around backwards expertly, weaving in and out of the people who didn't move aside as though he had eyes in the back of his head as well while he held up what looked like a pretty serious camera on a leather strap. His other hand was currently in use to put a fingertip at the corner of his own eye while he stuck out his tongue before taunting, "No fucking way, Jiji! This stuff is absolutely gold!"

"A photographer?" Kurama's voice lifted in confused surprise, brows snapping down as his curiosity immediately and gratefully turned to the boy with his -most likely- artificially red and blond hair, tousled hair. But why would a photographer be dressed so strangely? he found himself wondering as the onlookers all turned to watch the scene unfold.

"Damn you, Takashima! Come back!" the older man was still ranting, keeping up remarkably well all things considered. "If he sees those, I'm ruined!"

"That's my job!" the identified `Takashima' chirped back in a rather maliciously cheerful tone of voice, purposefully slowing down and dangling the camera tauntingly just out of the man's desperate reach. "What kind of investigator would I be if I played favorites, hn? I have to remain impartial."

`Investigator?' Youko perked up from inside their soul, turning away from his previous revenge plots against Hiei to this new interesting little tidbit. `Oooh, follow that little punk, this sounds fun!'

We can't follow him, we'll attract too much of the wrong attention, Kurama reminded him despite his own wishes to do just that. Damn kitsune instincts…

`Our instincts are just fine,' Youko informed him in a particularly superior tone.

"Big dog said jump and this would be me jumping," Takashima abruptly snapped the camera back to the safety of his hands, giving his pursuer a mocking bow and bending his knees and twisted around to face forward again. He straightened his legs to propel himself down the sidewalk and was quite suddenly… gone.

The old man stumbled to a halt, gasping loudly in the sudden near-silence that gripped the street corner where he gripped the nearest stable support and stared after the distant skating figure with a look of absolute horror, "O-oh gods… I-I-!"

Damn, that brat was fast, Hiei's remark drew Kurama's gaze long enough to catch the spark of interest in the demon's scarlet eyes even as he found his own feet carrying him to the obviously exhausted man's side.

"Excuse me?" Kurama reached out, hesitantly brushing his hand on the man's arm and almost jerking back in alarm when he felt the youki concealed beneath. Youkai? "Sir? Are you all right?" What's he doing here? And why is he disguised as a salary man?

A faintly hysterical laugh was his answer, the man rising and shaking his head miserably, "Oh fine, just fine… I'll be fine. After I get the hell out of Japan and hide in the bottom of a pit somewhere!" he turned on his heel, stalking back through the crowd just as rudely as he'd entered it and muttering to himself incoherently the entire while.

They were torn between directions, eyes bouncing between one and the other for a moment until Yuusuke reached up to rub the back of his head and exclaim in a dazed sort of way, "Well, that was random."

The crowd was slowly returning to their more mundane tasks, leaving only their group puzzling over the skater and his questionable "victim." Kurama was unconsciously shaking his head, still denying Youko's increased insistence that they go after at least one of the two involved in that little show. When Keiko grabbed onto Yuusuke and started to pull him towards the restaurant she'd picked out again, he moved to follow, continuing their original planned path when his eyes caught something… almost like a flash. There and then not.

He stopped walking, turning to stare down the street the skater had taken, and where his own focus decided to take him until he found himself looking inexplicably at a girl. From this distance, he had absolutely no clue what it was about one human girl that had caught his notice out of so many others, but she had all the same.

She was staring off after the skater as well, and his superior eyes could just make out the frown of concentration on her face, the unfocused look to her eyes as she stood in the open doorway of an old temple. One hand was curved around the edge of the shoji, poised to pull it closed, but something about the way it was placed… Thief's intuition, fighting spirit, youki… Whatever it was, it was telling him that those weren't the hands of a peaceful human, but why on that girl?

Another beat of frozen time, and she seemed to shake off whatever it was that had held her own unblinking attention, stepping completely inside and closing the door with a snap that freed him from his own jumbled enthrallment.

He was about to take off down the street, demand who she was and what those hands had done to set off the odd tingling in his soul when Hiei's hand clasped onto his wrist and pulled him back, Are you coming or not?

Kurama blinked, reaching up to rake a hand through his hair while he carefully avoided any of his seeds or plants, I'm coming… I just-

What? Hiei scowled, turning to look in the same direction, but unable to pinpoint the cause of the kitsune's distraction and not liking that one bit.

Nothing, he finally let out a pent up breath, turning his back on the temple to start following the group again. It was nothing. Youko wanted to follow that photographer.

Hn, Hiei slanted him a look that appeared to be just as bland as ever if one wasn't well accustomed to reading the hidden emotions in those chilling eyes.

Really, Hiei, it's nothing, Kurama reiterated under that accusing stare, sighing when the youkai finally seemed to let it go. As soon as Hiei's attention was elsewhere however, Kurama was clenching his hand into a fist at his side, forcibly shoving down his confusion and the irrational desire to interrogate that human girl.

Just what in all the layers of hells is going on here? Kurama hissed in his own mind, careful to keep it just teasing on the edge of Hiei's focus, but not enough to actually pass along that thought. He told himself over and over it was ridiculous and pointless, no doubt brought on by their latest odd mission and his mother's increasingly worried requests for his transition to domestic life. That was the only explanation for his behavior; it had to be!

Bit it still didn't stop him from looking back once more before finally following his companions away from the unfamiliar square.