Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Par Tout Autre Nom ❯ The Sweet Taste of Failure ( Chapter 19 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: Inuyasha and Yu Yu Hakusho belong respectively to Rumiko Takahashi and Yoshihiro Togashi.

A/N: Mooou…. I am in so much trouble for leaving that there, with Kazusa and apparently with a few other people too. -rubs head and looks slightly put out- It's bad enough she chases me down at home and sits on me until I start writing, now she's gathering minions and scolding me. LOL, uber crazy.

Now, I've never really specifically singled out reviewers, but I recently got this massive incredible one from GeshronTyler that had me giggling like crazy. Granted, I'm not going to give away the plot before it gets there, but those are quite… well thought out musings as to some possible happenings. And yes, being up-to-date in the manga will help connect a few of the dots. All those questions will be answered in time though, so be patient… and as for the eyes, originally in the manga Kagome's eyes change between grey and blue but like all manga, everyone's eyes are unique and it never really gets mentioned much. They changed it for the anime for who knows what reasons, buuuut… -shrugs- it's kinda like how Inuyasha started off with that pale pink kimono and transitioned to his lovely red without any apparent notice from his surrounding companions. Just one of those things. ^___~

And I can't possibly neglect the rest of my reviewers, even if I can't go through you each by name without taking up WAAAAAAY too much space considering all of you from MM.O and FF.N. I adore you all, and you make writing this that much more fun. -bows and blows kisses- You're all beyond fabulous, and I hope that you enjoy the way the rest of the story pans out.

~*~*~*~

By Any Other Name

~The Sweet Taste of Failure~

Kurama belatedly realized he should have seen it coming the moment she stopped pulling away and turned those wide eyes up on him with that particular expression. Whether she really had forgotten in the admitted confusion surrounding their first meeting, or was just too flustered to remember what answer he was looking for with the way he'd just taken her by surprise: that look made her seem young, vulnerable, and impossibly cute.

Three things guaranteed to set off the much less inhibited and temperamental side of him in a big, bad way.

Especially after she had voiced what Youko perceived to be the ultimate insult, the very suggestion that Kagome hadn't been thinking only of him and their proposition since the moment it had happened. His own rails and complaints about how idiotic Kurama had been to voice it that way aside.

Kurama was trying to calm himself before they did something stupid when he'd felt Youko's growl and the sudden flush of emotions as they raced through their body. And with his focus so centered widely on that, Youko had smoothly exerted his own control selectively to reach out for her and do his own handling of the situation. But even realizing he'd been tricked, Kurama hadn't expected to find his hands in her hair and yanking her forward into the most scalding kiss either side could treat her to.

YOUKO! Kurama hissed out, absolutely stunned that the kitsune had been so impulsive, but still…

`That's ever so much better,' Youko ignored him and drawled out, some of the tension easing out of their body when Kagome melted against him. He felt her eyelashes fluttering closed while she made a faint sound that was far from protesting as his tongue slipped into her mouth with the same demanding search for a response. One hand followed the curve of her back down to wrap around her waist and flatten her up against their chest, the other fisting in her hair to tilt her head at a better angle, `Forgot, my ass. I'll make sure she doesn't try to forget anything I do to her again.'

Kurama started to chastise… well, himself for practically attacking the girl and running the risk of completely destroying any chance they had with her, but just as the thought started to form, the hand resting on his chest flexed and slipped up into his hair. Her fingers splayed and giving off the impression that she was testing it out, curious about the texture, and the feelings stirring in him from the reciprocated caress made all thoughts of lecturing vanish, Oh.

`That's the best you can say?' Youko taunted, sliding his palm up under the hem of her shirt to feel her skin, maneuvering his hand around to curve over her hip and use that hold to lift her up onto her toes. `Damn, she tastes as good as she feels.'

But we're not the first person she's kissed, Kurama observed absently, for once their movements perfectly synchronized as they forgot all about everything else but making the most of this spontaneous, and surprisingly well-received kiss. In the back of his mind, he suspected it was more from shock than anything, but with Youko expertly drawing her in deeper, she had begun to actively respond.

`So? That's a good thing,' Youko sounded much too cheerful as he lifted her completely off her feet and walked her backwards the short distance to push her up against the exterior of Yuusuke's house for better leverage. `Can't you feel it? Her body has been neglected; it's hungry… It wants to be touched by us but she's still fighting it, pretending it's not.'

Kagome jolted back to herself somewhat when she felt the wall at her back, sucking in a sharp gasp as she tried to drag herself up through the layers of lust-induced fog whispering to her to just let herself sink into this pretty kitsune's arms and to hell with the consequences, Control, Kagome! Get yourself under control and- gods, why does he have to be such a goddamn great kisser?

Kurama had no idea when or how so much of his suppressed instincts had seeped back into his mind rather than whispered to him through Youko, but he couldn't deny the thrill of predatory satisfaction that went through him when he felt her trying to pull away and lean into him at the same time, She's stubborn… strong-willed.

`She's trying to fight off kitsune seduction and doing a fairly good job of it, Kurama, that's a little more than strong-willed,' Youko smirked and dragged their hand up to her ribcage, curiously tracing over the shallow lines of definition through her musculature proving this miko's lifestyle was far from sedentary. `She shouldn't be able to think right now, but if she was taken, she wouldn't have let us kiss her in the first place.'

We're sure about that? he wanted that clarified before he let Youko take their hand anywhere else, even if the feeling of her skin against his hand was sending little currents of sensation along his starved senses.

`Does it matter?' Youko traced along the bottom edge of her bra, flattening his hand once he reached her back to arch it and make it easier to reach the flimsy clasps.

It should.

`It doesn't,' Youko retorted, momentarily distracted when his hand skimmed over abnormalities with the silky skin, precise abnormalities…

Kagome's back arched sharply when Kurama's hand pressed down firmly, his thumb rubbing upwards curiously to trace over the faintly raised lines on her back, crying out at the jolt it sent straight into her soul, Not yet, I can't-!

She yanked her mouth away from his with effort, panting and gasping as she managed to work her hands onto his shoulders and shove him back to arm's length. Her chest heaved, eyes wide and a little panicked as she looked at the shock on that handsome face and those eyes swirling hypnotically between green and gold.

`Now that's a first,' Youko frowned slightly, curling his hands to pull her back to him again and pick up where they'd left off.

Kagome abruptly dropped, reaching up to grab his forearm with both hands, flipping him over her head and flat onto his back.

So is that, Kurama blinked widely, his mind trying to reorient itself from the singular experience of having the most passionate kiss of his recent lifetimes to staring up at wide blue eyes that looked just as surprised to find him in that position as he was to be there.

"Oh gods!" Kagome dropped his arm as though he'd burned her and shook her head, lifting a hand to rake nervously through her hair and shove it back over her shoulders. "I'm sorry! Wow… I… I'm so sorry. Habit, you know."

Kurama slowly pushed himself up, unable to fully restrain a chuckle at the absolutely lovely blush spreading across her cheeks, "Habit? You intend to try and throw me every time I kiss you?"

`Next time we're holding on and taking her down to be on the bottom, that'll teach her to break that habit,' Youko smirked widely in anticipation, salving his wounded pride at getting tossed by soaking up how absolutely flustered the little miko appeared.

Her cheeks turned an even darker shade of pink and she looked up at him with her hands still wrist deep in her own hair, mouth opening and closing for a moment until she cleared her throat and managed a choked, "What?"

"You don't honestly think that's the only time it's going to happen, do you?" he teased her as he rolled up to his feet, brushing himself off and giving her a smile full of promise.

`There's hope for you yet.'

"You do realize that I don't even know what your name is, right?" Kagome interrupted their silent remarks to point out, swallowing hard as she fought to get herself under control after that overload of youki and long-ignored emotions still roiling just below the surface of her relaxed expression. Bad to worse… shit, shit, shit! He's like a more aggressive, really, really sexy Kouga-kun…

"Kurama," he reached up and took hold of her wrists gently but firmly, his movements slow and careful as though tending to a wild thing that would bolt at the first opportunity. Not allowing her to pull away as he eased her hands out of her hair, he released one of them to smooth the disrupted length on his own, curling his fingers to make the sensation imprint on his palm. Youko cleared his throat suggestively, bringing a smile to his face as he acquiesced to the not so subtle demand and amended, "Youko Kurama."

He's telling me his youkai name, Kagome blinked in confusion, relaxing when he didn't do anything but stroke her hair back into place, eyes lingering across her face in a way that had her pushing down a rise of warmth in her stomach. "How do you know my name?" she demanded, trying to cover the errant feelings before he picked up on them and tried to instigate another kiss. Is he from Sengoku Jidai? I think I would have remembered him…

"I heard it," his chin kicked up just enough that it made him seem more boyish, preening at being able to show her how resourceful he was so early in the game.

"From who?" Kagome frowned in suspicion before she remembered where she was, and had to fight the urge to smack herself in the head. "I can be so stupid sometimes," she muttered under her breath before looking up at him again and raising her voice. "You're friends with Urameshi-san."

"With Yuusuke, yes," Kurama dipped his head in acknowledgement stroking his thumb over the underside of the wrist still in his hand, fighting down a chuckle when she snatched her hand back and held it cradled to her chest while glaring at him.

"Stop that!" Kagome cleared her throat, tucking her hair back behind her ear in a nervous gesture.

`She's cute when she's in denial,' Youko exerted himself just enough to run the tip of their tongue languidly over their bottom lip to taste the lingering flavor of his stolen kiss. `Grab her again.'

Easy, Youko, Kurama soothed him as best as he could when his own baser desires were in perfect agreement. We got in a damn good kiss, so let her think she's safe again before we surprise her.

`Oooh, sneaky,' Youko turned the idea over in his head, smirking and backing down when he saw her eyes trace the path his tongue was taking with her eyes slightly glazed. `I like it.'

"I've never seen anyone but their parents handle Yuusuke's boys as well as you did," he offered gently to bring her out of whatever thoughts turned her gaze so introspective.

Kagome shook herself out of the less that innocent things running through her head, unable to look at those knowing green eyes as she answered the unspoken question in a roundabout way, "They're good kids, they just need more attention and less babying." And they're nothing compared to Shippou's hyper years, she added silently, hiding a smile behind her hand at the memories of those exhausting times.

Kurama's lips curved up, cocking his head as he let his eyes slide over more leisurely now, confident that he was finally getting a handle on the situation, "I think they take too much after their father to be called `good' kids, but they have their own charm, don't they?"

"You're fishing for something, Kurama-kun," her eyes narrowed just enough to be noticeable, reaching behind her to lightly touch the stabilizing presence of the house when he shifted his weight in a way that was all too familiar.

"You don't have to be so formal," Youko gave her a playful wink just to see her blush again before Kurama shoved him back down.

This is my turn, Youko, and what the hell do you mean `formal?' he demanded in confusion.

`Suffixes… I don't like them,' he turned up his nose.

That's news to me.

`I don't like them coming from her after my name then, how's that?' Youko clarified. `You already know I don't like using them.'

Much more believable, Kurama rolled his eyes discreetly while Kagome cleared her throat and took a step back towards the backdoor.

"It was nice to meet you, Kurama-ku- Kurama," she corrected when he started forward at the beginnings of the suffix, holding up her hands and splaying her fingers in a placating gesture. "All right, I'll drop it if you stop looking at me like that."

"Like what?" he asked with perfectly feigned innocence.

Like you're going to eat me, she clenched her teeth against the urge to say it, already suspecting he would twist it around to his advantage to see her blush. He definitely seemed the type. "You could blink now and then and it won't kill you for starters," she supplied instead, stepping up to the door and twisting the knob to push it open when she saw the slow smile easing across his face.

Youko snickered richly, `Does she really think we can't tell that she's trying to run away?'

"When you said we wouldn't get in too much trouble," Kurama started, letting Youko have his silent running commentary in the background as he focused more on drawing out more information, "what did you mean? Whom would you be in trouble with?"

Shit, Kagome blanched a bit, kicking herself for forgetting everything Shippou and Sesshoumaru had told her about kitsune and their memories. Mentally wondering how on earth she was going to make herself look like she had nothing to hide as she scrabbled for a way to answer, "Ah.. I have a-" a what? What the hell do I call Sesshoumaru? "an… uncle." He's going to skin me for sure this time. "Very overprotective type. Doesn't like me to be around strange men."

`She said "uncle," Kurama,' Youko's voice definitely took on a wicked edge this time, surprising his other half with the wealth of promise underlying that deceptively innocent statement.

I heard her too, you idiot, why are you so worked up about it? Kurama didn't let his confusion show on his face as he reached out and closed his hand over hers to prevent her from using that avenue of escape just yet.

`Family association with a non-romantic insinuation,' Youko recited as though reading aloud from some book that only he could see. `Classic kitsune behavior and if she's close with that irritating kit, she may have picked up on it.'

Kurama blinked, staring at Kagome's questioning expression without really seeing it under the confusion going through him with Youko's remarks, What the hell are you talking about?

Youko made a sound of disgusted impatience, `You would know if you opened up a little more… But, for now, I guess I have to try and explain.'

"Are you all right?" Kagome's own discomfort faded at the almost dazed expression on his face, swearing under her breath as she released the door to press the back of her hand to his forehead, Don't tell me I accidentally zapped him-

They subconsciously leaned into the touch, eyes drifting closed to relish the unencouraged contact with a deep sigh while Youko expounded, `We do things our own way.'

I never would have guessed, Kurama snorted dryly.

`If you're going to be a bitch about it, I'll let you muddle through on your own,' Youko shot back in an affronted tone, chin up and grumbling until Kurama's apologies with Kagome's gentle prodding soothed his ruffled pride. `It's our way to show great respect, giving someone welcome into our family when they weren't born in. You don't give them close relation titles when you've been intimate, though. It's just inappropriate.'

How much are you leaving out of that explanation? Kurama muttered irritably, almost as confused has he'd been to begin with.

`She's petting us, I have better things to think of than giving you lessons you already know but tell yourself you don't,' Youko informed him loftily, making a low, affectionate growl in his throat that had her fingers instinctively curling. `Ooh, good instincts.'

She's worried about us and you're taking advantage, Kurama tried to sound scolding, but his hand was already lifting out of her range of vision, ready to press against her back and knock her into him again.

`You aren't exactly stopping me,' Youko pointed out, turning to let his eyes open a slit and snake the tip of his tongue across her palm.

The banging of the back door coming open to hit the house had Kagome twisting away from him with that same lithe speed uncommon in the humans of this era, drawing admiration from Youko to battle with his supreme annoyance at being disrupted before he could get another kiss.

"So you met Kurama!" Yuusuke had a smirk on his face as he took in the blush on her face and the glare on his friend's, well aware he'd interrupted the kitsune trying to do… well, it had looked like he was planning to try and kiss her.

"Ah-" Kagome shot a cornered look between the two of them, taking a sliding step back when Kurama shifted his weight towards her.

"Don't let him scare you," Yuusuke couldn't resist sliding between them, feeling the dark emotions from Kurama intensify when his vision of the blushing miko was blocked off. "Imagine him in a pink uniform surrounded by roses."

"You're going to die tonight, Yuusuke," Kurama whispered to him, eyes narrowed as he pondered where exactly to hit him and cause the most embarrassment or pain.

Kagome blinked, leaning to one side to look at the kitsune and put that blood-red hair with the suggested shade, "Pink?"

"Keiko's got pictures around somewhere from when we were kids," Yuusuke grinned and started to nod, side-stepping before Kurama could make good on the growled threat vibrating through his frame.

Shippou had that phase with orange…Kagome winced as she remembered the look on Shinju and Kaze's faces when they showed her the pictures, feeling the urge to come to this kitsune's defense and not having the faintest idea why. She shook her head and shrugged it off, interrupting before the youki swirling around the yard could spike any higher… at least, that was the reason she convinced herself she was speaking up, "I'm sure it's not as bad as you think, Urameshi-san."

Both men deflated from their silent clash of wills, looking at her with varying degrees of surprised confusion as she clasped her hands behind her back and smiled helpfully. Yuusuke sounded skeptical as he repeated, "Not as bad-?"

An image of Jakotsu suddenly cropped up in her head and she winced, reaching up to rub the back of her neck when her aura warmed and tried to pull in the youki around her in response to the emotions brought on by thoughts of that particular creature's appearance, "Clothes can change." Creepy facial tattoos are forever… Now if it were something like Sesshoumaru's markings- Oh hell, Sesshoumaru. "I should really get going."

Kurama elbowed Yuusuke in the side, sending him a speaking glare before he stepped around him, "You really should stay." Tell me what you were thinking about a moment ago. What were the memories putting those shadows in your eyes and draining away what little aura you have?

"I do owe you lunch," Yuusuke smoothly interjected, muttering out of the side of his mouth as he pushed Kurama aside, "Don't overdo whatever the hell you're doing, she's too young for you."

`He did not just say that,' Youko bristled at the insinuation.

"Really, it's not necessary," Kagome was protesting, obviously trying not appear rude as she fidgeted and cast about for the best way to convince the two men staring at her so intently that she didn't require any sort of compensation. "I should probably get home to say goodbye to Kaze before he has to leave-"

More youkai? Kurama's eyes narrowed a fraction in his suspicion.

"Just a quick bite," Yuusuke assured her, mentally tallying just how much his friends were going to owe him after going through all this just to keep the miko around without them telling her what was going through their twisted heads. "There's a little café a couple blocks away that has Kurama's favorite udon."

Kagome opened her mouth and quickly snapped it shut when her stomach rumbled audibly, letting out a nervous laugh as she rested her hand over the offending organ, So much for that excuse.

"Public place, Kagome," Yuusuke held out his hands, glancing at Kurama for not being the one to jump in and help out as he tried to find the sway her decision. "You should really take me up on it, I ain't in the habit of buying and Kurama can vouch for that."

"Indeed," Kurama remarked dryly, lips quirking up as he slid a hand gracefully through his hair to push it back and send her his most disarming smile. "What if I promise not to kidnap you and carry you off into the woods as my unwilling prisoner?"

`Don't promise that!'

Kagome was laughing before she could stop herself, the tension melting out of her shoulders at the deadpan tease as she shook her head and sighed, sending them both a genuine smile, "What the hell? I'm already in trouble, I may as well get lunch out of it."

`See? Now she isn't taking us seriously!' Youko lamented irritably, his pride demanding that oversight be corrected. `Dammit, Kurama, don't make promises like that without consulting me!'

You didn't make the promise, now did you? Kurama cut him off, emphasizing that one word heavily enough to stop the kitsune mid-rant with a soft sound of realization.

Yuusuke frowned when he saw Kurama's gaze follow the miko into the house, flashing gold and filled with an emotion that was more… possessive than anything he'd ever seen in the kitsune's behavior, but shook it off when a blink restored the gentler emerald color. "You owe me for this, you know that, right?" he nudged Kurama with an elbow as he stepped up to follow the regular path out the house and collect his shoes.

Kurama waved a hand dismissively, offering a smooth half-truth to distract his mostly human friend, "Relax, Yuusuke. Hiei and I simply wish to rule out any potential involvement with Koenma's latest issue. I know she doesn't feel like much, but she knows a lot about youkai for a person in this era, even a miko. It's a little suspicious."

`And sexy.'

Hiei's right, Youko, you really do have a fetish.

`It's a healthy, perfectly normal fantasy, thank you very much,' Youko turned up his nose, keeping their expression bland as the left to circle around to the front door and meet their not so unsuspecting prey coming out. `One that I have every intention of making good on with this cute little miko girl.'

Kurama hid his mouth behind his hand when he couldn't resist taunting, I don't know… Yuusuke might have something about you being too old for her. She does look young, and you're practically ancient.

`WE are perfectly ancient, you wretched wretched excuse for an alter ego! And we are in our prime as you well know! I won't be too old for anything until the day someone manages to kill me, and that will probably be all your fault,' he hissed out irritably, fully aware Kurama was baiting him for his own enjoyment.

Stop that before you give us wrinkles, Kurama couldn't resist repeating in a perfect imitation of Youko's bland tone.

`I'm remembering this for when you fall asleep tonight.'

I stopped being afraid of that threat when this body was nine, Youko, Kurama rolled his eyes, leaning against the support beside the door and following the sounds in the foyer indicating Yuusuke had caught with Kagome and seemed to be in the process of apologizing for Keiko's sudden absence.

`I'll have active, graphic fantasies about Hiei the minute I see him.'

You wouldn't dare! Kurama nearly fell over in alarm.

`Graphic fantasies.'

I take it back, Youko, Kurama gritted his teeth. You're a complete child.

Youko basked smugly in his victory.

~*~*~*~

"Give it up, kitsune, you aren't fast enough to win this," Hiei smirked wickedly at the boy straining to hold his wakizashis up against the potentially fatal downward strike. He had to admit it was more than a little irritating that the kitsune refused to fully drop his illusion and let him see and feel the true form, but on the other hand, he was impressed he had the presence of mind to keep it hidden. Kurama was right, he's not as young as he wants us to think he is.

"You're a creampuff compared to the youkai I've fought, runt," Shippou snarled right back, aiming a kick at his stomach and rolling back to come into a defensive stance, eyes alert and arms poised for the next attack. "Drop the complex. Why are you in our lands?"

"Why are you in the Ningenkai?" Hiei shot back, standing eerily still as the afternoon sunlight glinted coldly down his blade. It was a stance that had never failed to intimidate lesser youkai, but this supremely irritating brat didn't look the least bit phased, "You don't belong on this plane of existence."

"We started out here, so it's more ours than the humans," Shippou shrugged that accusation away and started toying with a way to get Sesshoumaru to face off with this youkai. He could just imagine the fight: hours turning into days with the two of them doing nothing but flashing those "scowls of death" across their field of battle and waiting for the other to strike first.

He almost snickered.

"Things change," Hiei's eyes narrowed, trying to focus through that damnable empty distortion hiding the kitsune's thoughts.

"Jumbled up little youkai start hanging around with Rekai's lapdogs," Shippou drawled out in response to that, sending him a cheeky grin when he saw his hands tense. "So what are you? I can't ask my usual source without looking suspicious and drawing attention to you."

"Your usual source?" one brow kicked up and set off Shippou's snickering again.

That would probably either be the greatest or the most boring fight ever, he shook his head regretfully at the slim chances of it ever happening. This youkai was good, but he was younger than Shippou, and Sesshoumaru would probably consider it beneath him just to be more insulting. "A good investigator never reveals his sources," Shippou winked. "Especially not one that's never wrong."

He's also not as stupid as he wants to appear, Hiei could feel his eyebrow give an uncharacteristic twitch of irritation. "There is no such thing as an infallible resource, boy," he ground out instead, mind racing to find a way to trick him into talking more openly.

"Infallible?" Shippou cocked his head to one side as though pondering the idea. "Never said that, but some things are just easy for them to see." She's never wrong about what makes up any youkai she feels out.

Hiei darted forward, inwardly cursing as when each slash was met and turned aside, watching the way those vivid eyes narrowed their focus in impressive determination, The youkai that trained this boy was powerful. Strict…

They were silent for a few moments, nothing but the violent symphony of metal sliding across and striking metal as they blurred around the grove in what would have looked almost choreographed to anyone who might pass by. Neither was inclined to admit it, but they were both enjoying the release of energy, having the chance to attack without holding back even when the scent of blood filled the air.

Shippou glanced down mournfully at the slice running across his thigh, or more correctly, the cut that had made through his pants, "That's two pairs ruined in one morning."

Hiei snorted, bending his elbow without taking his eyes off the pouting kitsune to slide his tongue over the edge of the katana to test out the actual strength of that blood, "Your kind whine about the most asinine things."

He huffed, shaking his head and sinking down into a ready position again, "You have no appreciation for how hard it is to find the right clothing. Then again, you can probably shop in the ladies' section with that size-" Shippou eyed him critically.

Claret eyes flashed with dark anger at the suggestion he would lower himself to do such things, "You seem to be in a hurry to die, kitsune."

He shrugged, reaching back to rub the back of his head awkwardly without loosening his grip on his weapon, "Not particularly. Then again, you don't have much chance of killing me."

"Arrogant assumption," Hiei scoffed at the very idea that he wouldn't be the victor.

"You say that, but Big Dog doesn't let us wander around on our own unless he's convinced we're nasty little bastards," that cheeky grin was back just as there was a "poof" off to Hiei's left that snapped his head around to see Shippou rushing at his from that side.

He brought his sword around to block when something hit him hard in the back and threw his balance off just enough for the kitsune to get in a slash across Hiei's stomach. He leapt back, pausing on the branch of a tree to stare down at the mirror image standing beside the original, Fucking hell, he is good with his illusions. It was perfect, his lip curled in disgust at having to admit to that, his hand absently touching the healing wound on his stomach.

"Sorry, but you know it's all about winning," Shippou saluted him, the illusion perfectly mimicking the action just to annoy the other youkai.

Hiei wanted to wipe that damn smirk off that brat's face, but stopped short when he remembered his promise to Kurama. For a moment his jaw clenched, but then another idea occurred to him and he flicked the katana to rid it of blood before sheathing it, eyes closed to make the low chuckle seem more casual, "Is it?"

Something about the tone of his voice alerted Shippou to the change in his intentions, letting his illusion fade and catching the leaf as he kept a wary eye on the shorter youkai, "What do you mean?"

Hiei folded his arms and leaned back against the tree, cracking one eye open and offering, "This. Is this really about winning? Or are you trying to hide something?"

Shippou went still, straightening as all traces of play leeched out of his stance and expression, It's not possible.

"Someone?" one eyebrow kicked up, salving his pride at falling for the illusion with the way the kitsune had gone still, eyes trying to hide his nervousness behind a hard glare. You know what I'm talking about, you stubborn kitsune. Show your damn hand so I can leave you here and hunt down Kurama and your miko.

Blue sparks of flame snapped up around Shippou's hands, eyes narrowing and slowly filling with absolute deadly warning, "Explain."

Hiei blinked at the imperious demand and let out a bark of laughter, chin kicking up at a cocky angle designed to annoy the impulsive boy further, "If you're too foolish to figure out when you've walked into a trap, what use will it be to have it spelled out for you?"

Walked into… No, Shippou's blades came up again, foxfire dancing down the length of the blade as his eyes flashed and his lips curled up off his lengthening fangs, "If you've done anything to my sister, I swear that I'll take great pleasure in tearing your body into little pieces and feeding it to Kirara."

Shippou probably would have been horrified to hear just how much he'd actually picked up from all those decades of listening to Sesshoumaru threaten death and dismemberment against the various youkai and humans they'd encountered, but as it was his mind was already racing to think out what he could have done to Kagome being-

His eyes went wide in alarm and Hiei's smirk widened, eyes filled with cruel delight at causing that much panic with so few words and carefully digging the truth in deeper, "My friend did not intend to harm her."

The other one… the kitsune! Shippou fell back a step, the wakizashis melting back into nonexistence as his fists clenched, looking back to plan his run back to the Urameshi house. Goddammit, I am so fucking stupid!

"Divide and conquer," Hiei pressed. "Don't you kitsune learn that when you're little kits? "

"She'll kill him before she lets him close," Shippou rounded on him with a fierce snarl, flinging out a hand as Hiei barely dodged before the area he'd been standing exploded with whatever the boy had just thrown. "I'll kill him! Damn you, you cheap dirty bastard! Leave my sister out of this!"

"She's human, isn't she?" Hiei observed casually from behind him, pretending to ponder that simple truth. If he gets any angrier, he's going to blow up. "Off limits to little youkai like you."

The foxfire was starting to darken where it was closest to skin, rippling his clothes in an unnatural curl of wind echoing his rise of temper and making Hiei frown as he saw a faint pink mark that looked mostly composed of a circle centered below his sternal notch, A family mark shouldn't be so indistinct…

"You'll die if you touch her," Shippou promised him in a thick growl, pulling Hiei out of his attempt to puzzle out what that oddly drawing mark on the boy's chest actually was. "Big Dog was never big on sharing, especially after the accident."

Hiei's eyes flashed in triumph, That's it… get pissed off, brat. Tell me what the hell you are and where you come from. How are you involved with that empty miko?

Shippou's lips spread in a cold smile, dark stripes flickering in on his cheeks as the first bits of his illusion started to crumble, eyes never leaving Hiei despite the intensifying spiral of his fire, "You have no idea who you're up against."

"Enlighten me," Hiei's body tensed, ready to fight or flee depending on just what the kitsune let go after he finished this emotional gathering of ki. This was taking the altercation to a new level, and if he stayed, he would either break his promise or die trying, So they're willing to protect her at all costs… interesting.

"He'll introduce himself," Shippou touched his middle finger to the spot between his eyebrows, forefinger and thumb splayed and crackling with darker energy as the ground under his feet flashed. "Now if you'll excuse me… I'm going to get my sister."

Hiei's eyes went wide when the kitsune's fire abruptly snapped up and wound around him, apparently yanking him down to vanish into the ground with a blinding flash. He stared down at the final trace of foxfire skating in a circle at the point he'd been standing only a second ago, swearing darkly in his head at the wholly unexpected ending to the fight as he hunted out Kurama's mind, That conniving little shit just disappeared into the ground!

There was a moment of surprised hesitation before he received an answer, dropping from the tree to circle the scorched perimeter and prod it with a foot, In the mountains or still in the forest?

Forest.

`That answers that,' Youko drawled out in a particularly unconcerned tone. `Figures though…'

What do you mean? Hiei demanded irritably.

`Forests take a lot of time perfecting their illusions, they like to be able to blend in,' he shrugged as though that should have been common knowledge.

That would have been nice to know, Hiei's eyebrow twitched as he felt the concentrated heat of foxfire snap through his foot, turning it curiously as he gauged how detrimental that would have been to another creature. At least tell me you have the miko, he demanded.

Did you really think I wouldn't? Kurama frowned at the suggestion he would have been the one who failed. She's disturbingly sweet for a miko, or at least that's what Youko says. I think she's young too.

About to add cradle robbing to your long list of conquests? Hiei found himself smiling despite his frustration, some of it admittedly easing at hearing the kitsune had been bluffing about her reaction to Kurama.

`I've already been over this with Kurama,' Youko snorted arrogantly.

In other words, you don't care.

`Not particularly.'

Hiei rolled his eyes, bending down to rub his hand across the ash and lift his hand to stare at it, rubbing it between his fingers and bringing it up to taste it, He's coming for her, by the way.

That's nice, Kurama turned his head away from the table for the moment to smirk and slide the tip of his tongue up his thumb in a particularly demonic motion, not wanting to alert Yuusuke to his internal conversation as they both watched Kagome have a conversation with the manager. I left him a thank-you note.

Sick bastard, he scowled at the bland taste, making a note to ask Kurama if foxfire was naturally absent of any usual organic fire compounds.

Nothing serious, but it should be enough to keep him busy a bit longer, Kurama assured him innocently, propping his chin up on his hand as his eyes trailed over the girl before moving with less enthusiasm to they human boy. Dammit, he's blushing.

What? Hiei blinked in confusion. Who's blushing?

Nevermind, he shook his head, sending a warning frown at the oblivious person in his modified uniform-tuxedo. Someone here in the café is being inappropriate.

He had to fight the urge to roll his eyes when he closed his own to focus on "seeing" through Kurama and found the kitsune's full weighted stare was directed to a cheerful man laughing with the miko, You don't honestly feel threatened by that person, do you?

I'm much more physically appealing, but she's skittish and she said she'd be in trouble for being near me, Kurama was suddenly radiating smug arrogance that had Hiei's eyebrow kicking up suspiciously.

What did you do?

`It was just one kiss,' Youko defended with contrived innocence, completely ruining it by giving every impression of licking his lips as he directed their eyes to wander back to the miko dreamily. `A damn good one too if I do say so myself.'

And she hasn't run away screaming about you being a perverted old man? Hiei snorted in amusement. Maybe she's not as intelligent as I hoped.

Actually, she threw us, Kurama admitted, still a bit flabbergasted at the memory. She apologized for it afterwards though…

Hiei laughed out loud, safe to do so with none of their human companions anywhere near enough to see or hear him behave in such an uninhibited manner, Threw you?

`It's not that funny,' Youko frowned.

Hiei shook his head, kicking the circle of ash one more time before he took to the trees to blur back to civilization and rendezvous with them to finally meet this empty miko, I like her already.

`You are forbidden from conspiring with our lover for matters that involve our humiliation for your personal enjoyment,' Youko growled out sharply.

Hiei smirked at the very thought, You already know I don't make promises I can't keep, Fox.

I'll dismember you slowly, Kurama reinforced the threat darkly.

I'll convince her you're into men and using her for breeding purposes only.

Kurama ground his teeth together hard when Youko pointed out that he was losing his touch with his threats, being out-maneuvered twice in less than an hour, Next time he's about to punch us, Youko, I'm not letting you hide behind me.

`Don't be a sore loser, Kurama, we all have our off days.'

I won't let you feel it the next time I kiss her.

`Now that is just cruel!' Youko sputtered in protest, unsure as to whether or not Kurama would be able to restrict his senses to such an extreme degree under those circumstances, but unwilling to take the risk.

Kurama caught Kagome's eye the next time she glanced back at him, feeling infinitely better when she blushed at his wink, stammering and turning her back on him to bow and start wrapping up her conversation, I learned from the best, Youko.

`Don't flatter me right after you've threatened me with such terrible things,' he pouted.

Hiei rolled his eyes and tuned them out, unable to stop the eagerness that rushed through him at the promise of finally getting his answers, rolling around the ideal possibility of having something to hang over Koenma's head for a change.