Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Sixty-Eight ( Chapter 68 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Check my livejournal at http://farawayeyes4.livejournal.com/ for more information and review responses.
 
Chapter Sixty-Eight
 
It had taken them the half a day---as promised---to cross the immense plain that formed Algaria and the desolate moors that marked the transition into Drasnia. Finally, on the horizon rose a city, and while Jaken did not look forward to being with that many humans, it was a respite from the road. The speed with which Horse had brought them had left him feeling dizzy. Jaken looked forward to being on solid ground again. Eriond slowed their mount to a trot, and then stopped. Two doves spiraled above, and landed, blurring into the twin sorcerers, Beltira and Belkira.
 
“We're about to---,” began Belkira, or was it Beltira? Jaken couldn't tell.
 
“---enter the city of Boktor. Don't forget to wear your hood, Jaken, until we're—,” continued the other sorcerer.
 
“---alone with the Alorn Council.”
 
“Foolishness!” Jaken grumbled. He tugged the hood they had provided for him up over his head.
 
“You wouldn't want all those humans gawking at you, would you, Jaken?” Eriond asked.
 
“No, but if you'll recall, I should still be waiting for my lord's return, not wasting my time with stupid human problems, you stupid boy.”
 
“We should probably go into the city---,” Beltira said.
 
“---so we can assist the Alorn Council. They'll have some supper ready for us, too.”
 
They entered the broad streets of the Drasnian capital city. For a human city, Jaken found it clean. There was little litter cluttering the streets, and it didn't have the same offensive odor hovering over it as other cities did. There seemed to be an openness to it, and the houses were spaced apart, not pushed up against one another as he had seen in other cities. Horse's hooves clattered on the cobblestones as they turned onto another wide avenue.
 
The streets, to Jaken's irritation, teemed with a multitude of people. They passed several men hurrying to their destinations at the end of the day. Some wore fine mantles of various hues, while others dressed in plain brown. In addition, other men garbed in rich jewels and lavish outfits finalized business with men in leather. Jaken was disturbed most by the men in black robes with the scarred cheeks. They glared at their group as they passed, their eyes hard. Following behind them were large men carrying several packages.
 
Jaken felt annoyance and alarm rise within when a door opened to a large house. Several heavily armed and uniformed men filed into the street. Eriond stopped Horse, and the twin sorcerers followed suit. Jaken started to protest when one of the uniformed men stepped forward. Eriond shook his head, a serious frown crossing his face. The toad fell silent, wary of these humans.
 
To his surprise, the man bowed deeply. He said, his tone formal, “Welcome to Boktor, your Holinesses. We'll escort you to the palace, if you wish.”
 
“Thank-you---,” Beltira said.
 
“---for the offer. We'd like to go to the palace immediately,” finished Belkira.
 
“Follow us, then, your Holinesses. Her Majesty has been expecting you.”
 
They followed the uniformed men down another broad street, and stopped in front of a large iron gate. Two guards posted in front smartly saluted them, then gave the order to open the gate. It swung open, and they filed into the courtyard. A palace door opened, and a tall man in black stepped out.
 
“Your Holinesses, please come this way. Her Majesty wants to see you immediately.”
 
Eriond dismounted from Horse's back, and then helped Jaken down. He let a groom take Horse. They entered a dim hallway, their footsteps echoing on the marble floor. As his eyes adjusted, Jaken noticed red tapestries lining the walls. They passed an ornate staircase, a rich garnet rug running down the middle. Eventually, they stopped in front of a massive oak door. It opened, revealing a richly decorated room.
 
A man startled the toad when he loudly announced, “Your Majesties, I have the distinct honor of presenting their Holinesses, Beltira and Belkira, Disciples of Aldur and brothers of the Eternal Man.”
 
At Eriond's prompting, Jaken followed them into the room. Immediately, the toad realized it was the throne room. Eight thrones lined the far wall, and each one had a banner with a different emblem on it. In the middle of the room, platters of food rested on a long table. There were open chairs, obviously set aside for them. The door shut behind them with a hollow bang. Jaken anxiously waited to see what would happen, feeling uncomfortable being in a room with so many humans.
 
Rising from one of the thrones was a tiny blonde woman. She wore a black dress and a small tiara, indicating her rank. Jaken expected her to be formal, but instead she said warmly, “Dear Beltira, Belkira, I'm so glad you could come. Welcome to my court.”
 
“Porenn, we thank-you---,” began one twin.
 
“---for inviting us,” finished the other.
 
“And dear Eriond. How you've grown since we last saw one another,” Porenn said, a soft smile crossing her face.
 
“It's nice to see you, too, your Majesty.” Eriond nodded.
 
“Let's skip the formalities. We've known each other far too long.” The small woman embraced him, kissing his cheeks.
 
“Uh, Porenn, I know that it's your court, but do you think we can get to business,” a large, brutish man growled out. He had dark hair, and a full, bushy beard. On top of his head rested a beat up crown with one broken-off point. The banner behind him pictured a bear.
 
“Now, Anheg, that's not fair. I follow the rules at your court in Val Alorn.”
 
“If you call planting spies to report back to you following my rules,” Anheg grumbled.
 
“Oh you know that's just for my amusement. No hard feelings?”
Anheg sighed. “No hard feelings.” He looked towards Jaken, his eye brows raised. “Who's your friend in the hood with the strange staff?”
 
“His name is Jaken---”
 
“---and he is a vassal of Sesshomaru, one of those traveling with our brother.”
 
“He shy?”
 
“Show yourself, Jaken,” one twin said.
 
“Utter foolishness! Like any human has the right to tell me what to do!” Jaken complained. He pulled his hood down to gasps.
 
“What is he? Surely you don't expect me to believe this, do you?” a man in a golden mantle asked. Above him hung a large banner with a lion depicted on it. “As if having to admit that Belgarath and Polgara might be more than mythological, you're now asking me to believe this fairy tale, too?”
 
“He is a toad demon.”
 
“I can speak for myself, you stupid human!”
 
“You'll have to excuse Jaken. He didn't want to leave the Vale, and he's not all that fond of cities,” Eriond said, chuckling.
 
“That's not why I don't want to be here, you stupid boy. Sesshomaru-sama told me to stay in the Vale until he returned, not get myself involved in stupid human affairs!” Jaken stomped.
 
Porenn shook her head, clearing her throat. “My, spirited isn't he?”
 
“We will all now pause while Varana goes into apoplexy,” said a pockmarked man in a garish, stained yellow shirt.
 
“I'd take it kindly if his Majesty from Gar og Nadrak kept his opinion to himself, thank-you,” Varana said, his tone biting.
 
“Now, now,” Porenn chided.
 
Another man on a throne under a banner picturing a sheaf of wheat laughed softly. “Oh come now, Porenn. When you get a group of boys pretending to be kings, you had better expect some rough housing.”
 
Porenn sighed, shielding her eyes with a jeweled hand. “Not you too, Fulrach. I am not leading an important council, I'm babysitting a group of unruly children.”
 
Anheg chuckled softly. “You're only figuring that out now?”
 
“We don't mean to interrupt, but is there anyway we could possibly---” one twin said.
 
“---have dinner now? It has been a long day,” finished the other.
 
“Oh! Of course. Feel free to have whatever you would like from the banquet table.” Porenn waved her hand in the table's direction.
 
Jaken eyed the table, his stomach growling. There was a variety of roasted meats, succulent desserts, pots of stew, and fresh bread. The toad demon wasn't certain what he'd eat first. He looked towards Eriond for the cue to know if they could serve themselves.
 
“Come on, Jaken. Let's get something to eat,” the young man said, giving him a small smile.
 
Jaken nodded and followed him to the table. Unfortunately, it was far taller than he was, and he couldn't reach anything. He grumbled, “Stupid! How can I get anything if I can't even reach!”
 
A twin picked up a plate. “Let me help you, Jaken. Just tell me what you want.”
 
Jaken looked up into the twin sorcerer's gentle face. He nodded, feeling grateful. He said softly, “I'd like some meat, stew, and bread.”
 
“Alright. Just go take a seat at the table, and I'll bring it.” The old man winked.
 
Jaken crossed to another table, climbing up into one of the high backed chairs. He glared defiantly at the kings in the room, daring them to make a comment about him. So far, they seemed to be simply watching. The sound of someone sitting down next to him drew his attention, and Jaken turned to see Eriond.
 
“Belkira should have your plate soon.” He buttered some bread.
 
Jaken sighed in resignation. Even though they were human royalty, he knew his lord would be angry with him if he didn't at least attempt showing respect. His actions did reflect good or bad on Sesshomaru, after all. He surmised that he would be wise to find out who was who. He asked, “Boy, would you mind telling me which king is which?”
 
“Certainly,” Eriond smiled. “Let's start with Porenn. She's the tiny blond in black that greeted us. She's the Queen Mother of Drasnia, and in respect to this council, its leader.”
 
“Queen Mother?”
 
“Yes, that means her son is king. Porenn is a widow.”
 
“Then why isn't he here, boy?” Jaken was curious to know why a king would allow his mother to manage the affairs of state.
 
“Kheva is only a boy, roughly the age of ten. Much too young to rule,” Eriond explained.
 
“I see.” Jaken nodded his thanks when one of the twins set his plate of food down in front of him. He glanced around the lavish throne room, his eyes landing on the large man with the black beard from earlier. Jaken inquired, “Who is that brute of a man with the bear banner?”
 
“Anheg of Cherek. He's actually known for being sly, despite his appearance. It's actually his nickname, Anheg the Sly.”
 
Jaken spooned some stew out, blowing onto it, and ate it. He surveyed the kings again, asking “And the one in that dreadful yellow?”
 
“Drosta lek Thun of Gar og Nadrak. He's the only Angarak king present.” Eriond ate some meat. “He's also not exactly as he appears. He hides behind lechery, but he's a shrewd politician.”
 
“And that dreadful man who insulted me?”
 
Eriond laughed. “He's the Emperor of Tolnedra. His title is really Ran Bourne XXIV, but everyone calls him Varana. Don't take it personal. Tolnedrans are very skeptical of anything they can't understand. They don't like to admit there are things that are unusual and extraordinary. It's a theological failing, or so I am told.”
 
Jaken scowled. He gestured towards the one in peasant brown. “And that one? He's not even dressed like a king.”
 
“Fulrach of Sendaria. Sendars are pragmatic and serious. He tends to do as his people do.”
 
Jaken ate his stew, studying the one in rich purple. He looked to be fairly young, and in Jaken's esteem, sickly. He asked, “The one in purple, boy.”
 
“Korodullin of Arendia. He's a Mimbrate, so be prepared for thees and thous.”
 
“Foolishness.”
 
“The last two are Cho-Hag of Algaria and Brand the Rivan Warder. Cho-Hag's the one in black leather, and Brand's in grey. He doesn't have a crown as he is not a king.”
 
“Then why is he here?” Jaken asked, finding himself growing curious despite himself.
 
“He's standing in for Belgarion, who's traveling with your lord, if you'll recall.”
 
“I see.”
 
Drosta coughed nervously. He asked, “Your Holinesses, I would like to ask a question, if I may.”
 
The twins nodded, and answered together, “Go ahead, Drosta. Please, just call us Beltira and Belkira.”
 
“Judging by your companion's appearance and introduction, the rumors that demons are traveling with Belgarath's company is true, then, is it not?”
 
“It is. They are not like the demons we know.”
 
Varana rolled his eyes from his throne, and crossed his arms. “I still say there's no such thing as demons. It's all myth.”
 
Drosta continued on, ignoring the Emperor of Tolnedra's complaints. He asked, “If they are not like the demons we've encountered, then are they like Jaken?”
 
“No. Jaken's master, Sesshomaru, is a full-blooded dog demon. He is very tall and pale with long silver hair, stripes on his cheeks, and a crescent moon marking his forehead. His half-brother is half-human, half-demon. He has dog ears instead of human ones, and no markings on his face. He does have silver hair, though. Our Master accepted both fully upon their arrival, and visited with them personally before they departed on their journey.”
 
Cho-Hag nodded, rubbing his hand over his single black lock. “I can corroborate their descriptions. Belgarath stopped at the Stronghold at the beginning of their journey. Both had a rather striking appearance indeed. Their gold eyes were also most unusual. And I must say, the one with dog ears, I think Inuyasha was his name, had quite the appetite.”
 
Jaken frowned at the half-breed's mention. He snorted. How his lord must suffer having to travel alongside such filth. He sighed. Although Jaken didn't like him, he had to admit that Inuyasha had the potential to be a useful ally, but he didn't know if his lord could come to that conclusion. And, the toad wasn't sure he wanted Sesshomaru to make amends with his half-brother, either.
 
“So, then they were not summoned by a magician?” Drosta asked, rubbing his chin.
 
“No. In fact, the whole concept was foreign to both of them,” Beltira said.
 
Jaken snorted, and said, louder than he intended, “As if anyone can summon Sesshomaru-sama. He answers to no one!”
 
Fulrach chuckled. He shook his head. “That might be the case ordinarily, but it would seem that your lord has fallen into the same fate as the rest of us.”
 
Jaken glared at the king, then turned back to his food. He had no desire to argue with foolish mortal kings. He would stay out of the remainder of their discussion. His lord would not want him to become entangled in human affairs that had nothing to do with him.
 
Porenn asked, “Belkira, can you tell us any news of Belgarath's progress?”
 
“We told our brother of our plans to join you in council. He told us that they are closing in on Mal Yaska, and should ride hard from there to Ashaba as soon as their current tasks in the Grolim holy city are complete,” answered Belkira.
 
“They have had a few delays in their travels, but none too serious to halt them. If all goes well, they should have no troubles arriving at Torak's old house. Our Master told Belgarath to read the Ashabine Oracles, otherwise they would have headed directly for Cthol Mishrak,” finished Beltira.
 
Jaken's interest perked up as they talked about those traveling with his lord. He continued to eat his stew, listening intently. He hoped that they would speak more about them. The toad demon would have asked himself, but was worried that they might change topics if he did. Jaken looked into his stew, making it appear that he wasn't listening.
 
“Our brother has also told us that he's sending back Hettar, Mandorallen, and Barak. He also sent special instructions with them. He told us that he did not feel safe telling us through his thoughts while he was so close to Urvon,” Belkira continued.
 
“Interesting,” Anheg said. He started to laugh, the sound a deep rumble. “Oh my, I have no doubt that my cousin was most disappointed in being sent home. He absolutely hates being excluded from adventures.”
 
“If thy cousin hath taken it hard, Mandorallen canst only be inconsolable. His disposition will be most sour upon his return,” said Korodullin, his chuckle softer.
 
“Belgarath also told us that our newest sister has grown much in her power, and that she should accomplish her task when it comes time. He has already factored in time to accommodate it. We expect, that if all goes well, this will be one more task completed before the EVENT,” Beltira said cryptically. “We've read about it in both the Darine and Mrin.”
 
Jaken's eyes went wide. They were talking about that strange passage he had overheard in the Vale. What did they mean by their “newest sister,” and what was this task? Was Rin their new sister? Was his lord truly doomed to fall ill as he had seen in his dream? Was their nothing they could do to prevent it? They knew, and yet they had done nothing to stop it. Jaken gripped his spoon tightly in his fist, trying to contain himself from making another outburst.
 
Porenn nodded. “Good. I hope things will go well. Do you know anything else?”
 
Beltira nodded. “Yes. We had a long talk with our brother.”
 
Drosta asked, “Did he say anything about what Zakath is doing? I know he was the one to come to the Vale and ask for help.” He shifted uncomfortably in his chair. “I must say, I'm glad he's on our side this time, rather than an enemy.”
 
“Belgarath said that he went to join his armies to provide distraction from their traveling group. He hopes that if they're focused on his movements and his army, the demons and Grolims will ignore them. Our brother seemed to think the idea might work, at least if they didn't come across any demons,” explained Belkira.
 
“Good. I had heard that his country was in turmoil because of all the demons on the loose. I can sympathize, considering the Morindim on my northern border,” Drosta said. “I am just glad that they're not as sophisticated as I hear the Karands are.”
 
Varana snorted. “I still say that there is no such thing as a demon.”
 
Anheg pointed at Jaken. “Try telling him that. I'm sure it's his utmost concern if you believe he exists or not.”
 
Jaken slumped in his chair, trying to make himself smaller. He didn't want the scrutiny of that rude king again. He glared over his shoulder at the curly, grey-haired Emperor, daring him to say something else. Jaken muttered to himself, “Infuriating humans---all of them.”
 
The Rivan Warder cleared his throat to get everyone's attention. He said, his voice soft, “May we continue the discussion that was taking place before our guests arrived?”
 
“Of course, Brand,” Porenn said.
 
“Has anyone had any luck at reaching the Gorim?”
 
“We have ambassadors speaking with the Ulgos, and they are going to join us soon to report back. The Gorim wishes he could have attended the council, but he fell ill recently,” Porenn explained. “He says not to worry, though. He's only caught a slight infection and is expected to fully recover. If he can regain enough strength, he hopes to join us at council.”
 
Jaken frowned. He swallowed some stew. He leaned over, and whispered, “Who is the Gorim, boy?”
 
“He's the holy leader of the Ulgos. They live in the caves in the mountains west of the Vale and Algaria. The Ulgos worship UL, the father of the Gods,” Eriond answered.
 
Jaken nodded. Even though he didn't care about these humans or their council, he couldn't help but be a bit curious. He whispered, “I see.”
 
“Good. I am glad to hear that the Gorim will make a full recovery.” Brand nodded. He asked, “Has your operative reported anymore about the Murgo's progress?”
 
Porenn paced, her hands behind her back. “They're still busy amassing their military to move into Mishrak ac Thull.”
 
“We've heard about Urgit's problems---,” Beltira started.
 
“---with the Grolim Hierarch,” finished Belkira. “Can you tell us about that?”
 
“Urgit has put up resistance, but it's only a matter of time before they overwhelm his army. He's losing his kingdom bit by bit,” Porenn said. “Once that's done, they'll march northwards and invade the Thulls.”
 
“And once the Thulls fall, my country is next,” Drosta whined.
 
Jaken tore a cruller apart, slipping a piece into his mouth. This was their problem, and the less he got involved, the better. He ripped another hunk of roast meat off of a drumstick, and savored it. Jaken found the whole affair ridiculous. Humans were constantly fighting each other over land, and to him, it was constantly switching hands. He half-listened to the discussion, amused by their anxiousness.
 
“Short of invading Cthol Murgos, or Belgarion and company returning, we can't do much to prevent it. They just have so much more money and men than Urgit. Most of the aid we've tried to send has been intercepted.”
 
Anheg sighed. He ran his fingers through his thick beard. “I was afraid of that.”
 
“How long has the Southern Caravan Route been closed?” asked one twin.
 
Varana passed one jeweled hand over his eyes. “Since word reached the West about that Naraku character. Tolnedra is losing money hand over fist because of it. We need that trade, and soon.”
 
Jaken snorted to himself. He finished his drumstick, cleaning the meat from the bone. He still didn't see what the fuss was all about. It seemed to really bother these kings, however, and if he had to spend too much time with them, Jaken knew it'd get on his nerves. He hoped they'd come to a solution and soon. He ate some stew, enjoying the tangy taste, but found it to be sub par compared to the twins cooking.
 
“Perchance there is another manner in which we can come to the aid of our brother king. Methinks we ought to take another look at invading Cthol Murgos. If thy aid fails to assist him, our military might canst,” interjected the Arendish king. His flowery manner of speaking grated on Jaken's nerves, and he rolled his eyes.
 
Cho-Hag shook his head, his expression grim. He said, his deep voice a rumble, “No. You run the risk of having the Murgo force at the West's doorsteps. Before we can amass our armies, they'll turn towards us instead of Mishrak ac Thull.” He paused, sipping some wine. “And, the country is inhospitable. Our forces would be sent to their deaths in the desert.”
 
“I can't send Cherek war boats, either. They'd do no good, and that Hierarch would just keep retreating into the middle of that wasteland. He'd have the advantage if he led us into the Tarn of Cthok,” added Anheg.
 
Drosta whined, “So we're back where we started. They'll take the Thulls. Nathel may be stupid beyond all hope, but he'll roll over for that Hierarch if it means he'll be spared from the Grolim knife.” He sighed. “I know I don't have enough Nadraks to hold off a combined Murgo-Thull force.”
 
One twin asked, “Do you know how many men the Murgos have?”
 
Porenn nodded. “My spies have reported anywhere from a quarter to half a million men. We can't be sure because we are unable to get close enough. We do know, however, that Urgit's army is shrinking. Some are killed in ambushes, while others are bought with red, Grolim gold. We may have to concede Mishrak ac Thull all together.”
 
Drosta threw his hands up. “We must do something. I doubt you want another Drasnian Massacre on your hands. My country falls, and yours will be next, Porenn.”
 
Jaken snorted and rolled his eyes at Drosta's dramatics. “You foolish mortals.”
 
“Jaken---,” Eriond chided.
 
“No, I'm curious to see what he might say,” Porenn said, holding up her hand.
 
“Go on, Jaken,” encouraged one twin sorcerer.
 
“You don't want these Murgos to have this Thull place, right?” Jaken asked.
 
“And what suggestion do you have?” Drosta asked, his pockmarked face hopeful. “Right now, I'd even consider one of Torak's ideas.”
 
“Simple. You stupid humans are missing the obvious. If you don't want them to have it, then take it first.”
 
“Absurd,” Varana scoffed. “That'll never work. The Murgos will only escalate their preparations. We'll be left vulnerable, and they'll attack the West.” It didn't escape Jaken's notice that the Tolnedran Emperor refused to look at him directly.
 
“Wait a moment, Varana. He might be onto something here,” said the sober dressed Fulrach. He rubbed his grey-streaked beard. “We've always prepared for an invasion of the West. We're always on defense. They wouldn't expect offense.”
 
“Foolishness,” muttered Varana. “What was the Battle of Thull Mardu, then? If you'll recall, we already took Mishrak ac Thull once before.”
 
“You're forgetting the fact that we were there to distract the Angaraks, not invade,” Porenn said. “We were caught between Taur Urgas and Zakath's grudge match. They weren't even focused on us at the time. They both meant to converge on Thull Mardu to fight for who would reign over all Angaraks, then move West. We were simply in the way.”
 
“It's still a cockamamy plan. Just where do you intend to get the army to execute this half-baked idea?”
 
Jaken fumed in his chair, glaring at the Emperor. “How dare you, you impertinent human! How dare you insult me like that!”
 
Anheg chuckled. “Our feisty guest might be onto something.”
 
“I can't believe you're considering this ludicrous idea,” Varana said. “We're months behind in military preparations to even think of pulling it off.”
 
“My Algars are always ready,” Cho-Hag said, his tone slightly injured.
 
“I'm disappointed in you, Varana,” Brand said. “You're a brilliant general, but you've let the position of Emperor blind you. Just because our unusual guest suggested it, doesn't mean you should reject it. If you just thought about it a moment, you'd realize just how possible it really is. I'd almost say that the tact of that simple suggestion is rather ingenious.”
 
“I'd have to agree,” seconded Anheg. “Where's that classic Anadilian wit and charm we've come to know? You're becoming more and more like your Bourne cousins every day.”
 
Varana glared at him. “I am a Bourne emperor now, if you'll recall.”
 
Fulrach said, “Well, I support our unusual friend's idea. It may have come from an unorthodox source, but that doesn't mean it can't work.”
 
Belkira brushed off his white robe. “We think it has promise. It's at least worth discussing.”
 
“No offense, brother sorcerer, but the Alorns are always ready to rush to war. Can't we possibly find some diplomatic means to avert the Murgo invasion of the Thulls?”
 
Drosta's expression sobered. “You forget we're dealing with Grolims. They don't care about treaties. You can't bribe them. They want to control all the Angaraks, and they think that this is their chance. You could send as many negotiators as you like, but they'll only end up as sacrifices on Torak's altars.”
 
“How can you be so certain this plan to take the Thulls first will even work? They might concede the Thulls and attack us. We'll be left wide open.”
 
“You're forgetting something else, Varana. My Murgo cousins still believe it was their mission decreed from Torak to take over our portion of the Western continent. They'll be furious that the West has conquered and occupied a portion of Angarak soil.”
 
“I still say that it's doomed to fail. The Murgos might very well turn West and crush our countries before turning back to Mishrak ac Thull.”
 
“And you're not listening, Varana. I am an Angarak. I know the Murgos. They would never tolerate the foreign occupation of an Angaraks nation. Ever. You could make them focus entirely on Mishrak ac Thull, and they'd ignore the West. If we don't try it, expect the Nadraks to be conscripted alongside the Thulls in the Murgo army,” Drosta said, his shrill voice calm.
 
Varana fumed. He replied, his tone heated, “And if they don't take the bait? They'll march through Tolnedran soil to get to the rest of the West. It's your country for mine.”
 
Jaken slid from his chair and crossed to stand in front of Varana's throne. He shook his fist. “You're just jealous that you didn't think of my idea first, you fool!”
 
For the first time, the Emperor of Tolnedra looked Jaken directly in the eye. He said, “And pray tell what would someone like you know about military tactics? I can't even be sure that you exist. What if you're some trick created by Belgarath? The Alorns used Ce'Nedra to bully the Empire last time, and now they're using you!”
 
Jaken waved his staff at Varana. “I do too exist, you brute! I answer only to Sesshomaru-sama. You don't intimidate me. Why, if Sesshomaru-sama were here, you'd be on your knees begging for his mercy!”
 
“Assuming he's also not some illusion created by Belgarath, that is.” Varana stood, his stocky form towering over Jaken. “I will admit that your idea would be clever under the right circumstances, however, the ones we have to work with clearly are not.”
 
Jaken sighed in exasperation. “I should roast you alive with my staff for insulting Sesshomaru-sama!” He waved it threateningly. “You're the only one who doesn't like this idea. Everyone else thinks it'll work, you imbecile.”
 
“Of course they do! Over half of them are Alorns! They're always ready to rush to war with the Angaraks!” He waved his arms wildly. “You'd know that if you knew any of our history! You don't know enough to be casually suggesting anything like invading the Thulls.”
 
Jaken huffed. “I have been in more military campaigns than you have in your short life time, you dreadful mortal. My lord has led many successful campaigns, and has vanquished many adversaries. I studied his strategies closely, so don't you tell me that I don't know how to assess a military situation!”
 
“And I'm saying, you non-existent creature, that you can't possibly know enough about the situation to assess it!”
 
“Non-existent creature! You baka! You blind fool! I exist! I have a name! It's Jaken!” Jaken shouted back. He shook a fist. “Of all the humans I have ever encountered, you are the absolute worst!”
 
“And of all the creatures I've ever met, you are the most obnoxious!” Varana shouted. “I am Ran Bourne XXIV, Emperor of Imperial Tolnedra! You would do well to remember who you're speaking to, you animal!”
 
“Ho!” Anheg bellowed. “Enough! You're not accomplishing anything by screaming at one another but to make the rest of us deaf.” Both stopped, turning to stare at the imposing figure of the King of Cherek. He sighed. “That's much better.”
 
“Thank-you, Anheg.” Porenn chuckled, then sighed. “Oh dear.” She cleared her throat. “I think we should put Jaken's suggestion to a vote. All those in favor of occupying Mishrak ac Thull, say Aye.”
 
Both twins and all of the monarchs, but Varana, approved of the measure with a chorus of resounding Aye's. Varana glared at them, displaying his displeasure with an emphatic Nay. Jaken gave him a smug look. He had won the debate.
 
“The Aye's have it. We'll draw up plans to amass our military forces.”
 
“I hereby withdraw my pledge of Tolnedran legions. I will not be party to this or to leaving my country vulnerable. Without the Overlord of the West to force me, I will not participate,” Varana stated, his arms crossed.
 
Overlord of the West? Who would dare take such a title when Sesshomaru was Lord of the Western Lands? Jaken sputtered, then croaked, “Overlord of the West? But Sesshomaru-sama is Lord of the Western Lands.”
 
Eriond shook his head, laughing. “That's one of Belgarion's titles, Jaken. Your lord is still Lord of the Western Lands where you come from. Don't worry.”
 
“That's a shame, Varana,” Anheg said. “We could really use your military expertise as a general.”
 
“Hence the reason why I rejected it, Anheg. There are too many variables. It's too much of a risk.”
 
Fulrach shook his head. “I know I'm the king of farmers, but I know all military campaigns are risky. You can't count on everything going your way. Varana, our inaction could be even more risky than this plan to take the Thulls. But I also know that it's something none of us could come up with as Jaken did.”
 
Cho-Hag nodded. “He doesn't have the history of the past conflicts clouding his judgment. A fresh pair of eyes will help us to overcome the problem facing us.”
 
Varana frowned. “It still needs work before I'll consider it.”
 
Jaken snorted. “You cretin, they've already said the plan is good. You just won't accept it. Stubborn fool!”
 
Porenn said, “How about this: We draft a diplomatic letter explaining our position, and provide suggestions to Nathel instead of simply invading the Thulls. If he should agree and know we're coming, our forces will face little if any resistance, and our occupation will be peaceful, not hostile.”
 
“Fine, but how do you insure that the Murgo's don't march through my country?” Varana demanded.
 
Fulrach laughed. “I thought you weren't contributing legions, Varana.”
 
“I'm not.” Varana sighed. “Alright, since you've all backed me into a corner, and only to fulfill my duty to Ce'Nedra, I'll give you the legions, but only if you promise that Tolnedra won't be invaded by the Murgos.”
 
“We'll tally how many men we have combined, and if it'll ease your mind, we can then determine a percentage that you can keep at home, alright?”
 
“That's a fair deal,” Anheg interjected. “It might not be fail safe, but nothing ever is.”
 
Varana sighed, throwing his hands up in defeat. “Deal. But I still don't like it. ”
 
Jaken gave him another smug look. He said, “It's about time you stopped your complaining, you dreadful human.”
 
Porenn said, “Jaken, since this was your idea, would you like to assist with composing the letter to the Thulls? We should do that in the next council session.”
 
Looking up into the tiny blonde's face, Jaken gawked. He felt his cheeks heat up, and he pointed to himself. “Me?”
 
“Of course, dear. You've proved that you can come up with good ideas. Will you help?”
 
“Yes.” Jaken's blush deepened. “I---I'd love to.”
 
Anheg snickered. “Uh-oh, Porenn. I think you have an admirer.”
 
“Be nice, Anheg.” She clapped her hands. “It's late. We should retire for the night. I'll have servants escort our guests to their rooms.”
 
Check my livejournal at http://farawayeyes4.livejournal.com/ for more information and review responses.