Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Seventy-One ( Chapter 71 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

I'd like to thank my readers for taking the time to read and review. Check my livejournal at http://farawayeyes4. livejournal.com/ for more information about my writing, review responses, and more.
 
Chapter Seventy-One
 
The alluring smells of breakfast roused Shippo. He sat up, yawning. The fox kit glanced down towards his sleeping parents. His father was wrapped around his mother as they spooned together. Inuyasha's nose was tucked into the crook of Kagome's neck and his arm possessively held her close. Shippo smiled at the sight. He had enjoyed the past few days with his adoptive parents.
 
Quietly, the little boy slipped from the tent. He didn't want to disturb them. Shippo followed the tempting scent of frying bacon. He crept towards the cooking fire and found Polgara preparing some eggs for scrambling. She looked up and smiled. Shippo leaned over and watched the bacon sizzle in the pan.
 
“Good morning, Shippo. You're awake early,” Polgara greeted warmly.
 
Shippo smiled back shyly. He scuffed a foot into the dirt. “I smelt the bacon and couldn't go back to sleep.”
 
“I see.” She whipped the eggs and milk together then poured them into a second, waiting pan. “What about Inuyasha and Kagome?”
 
“Mother and father are still sleeping.” Shippo watched as the sorceress stirred the eggs, fascinated by her quick motions.
 
Polgara arched an eyebrow. “Ah.” She plated the eggs. “Why don't you help me and then you can bring them breakfast? How does that sound?”
 
Shippo blinked and pointed at himself. “Me? I don't know anything about cooking, though, Lady Polgara.”
 
“That's okay.” She smiled at him. “Just flip the bacon when I tell you to, alright?”
 
Shippo shifted on his feet, his tail twitching. “Okay.”
 
The sorceress showed him how to use the spatula. She turned it over to him, and Shippo started pressing the thin strips of meat into the pan. A satisfying sizzle filled his ears. Polgara glanced over. “Not too hard, dear. It'll burn.”
 
Shippo nodded, easing up. The thin strip of meat started to curl up, and the fox kit became frustrated. He whispered to the defiant bacon, “Stay down.”
 
Polgara kept stirring the next batch of eggs in her pan. “Shippo, dear, you want to press down hard enough that it will lay flat, but not too hard or it'll burn. Don't press on it in one place for too long. Count to five and move the spatula to another spot on the bacon. It'll lay flat on its own and cook if you do that.”
 
“Okay, Lady Polgara.” Shippo did as told, and to his satisfaction, the bacon began to flatten out.
 
“Alright, you can flip them now, dear,” Polgara said, browning some toast.
 
Shippo nodded. He started turning one of the strips of bacon over, only to have it slide off of his spatula. He muttered a soft curse word under his breath, frustrated. Finally, he managed to succeed. He lifted his eyes to meet Polgara's, and a blush coated his cheeks at her raised eyebrow. Shippo mumbled, “Sorry, Lady Polgara.”
 
Polgara frowned, but did not comment on his faux pas. She continued preparing more eggs. The sorceress said, “Shippo, dear, put the bacon on a plate.”
 
Shippo slid the spatula underneath the cooked bacon, and lifted it out of the pan. It continued to sizzle on the plate. He asked, “Want me to do anything else, Lady Polgara?”
 
“Yes, dear. Put a few more strips into the pan and cook them, okay?” Polgara expertly whipped some more eggs. “After that, you can take a plate to Inuyasha and Kagome.”
 
“Okay.” The fox kit cut a few more slices of bacon from the package sitting by the pan. He dropped them in with a satisfying hiss. Shippo continued until he had lined the pan. “How's that, Lady Polgara?”
 
“Perfect, dear. Just remember what I told you about getting them to lay flat.” Polgara plated more eggs and covered them to keep them warm.
 
Shippo did as Polgara instructed him, flipping the bacon when it was flat. The crunch of footsteps approaching captured Shippo's attention. He glanced over his shoulder, seeing Garion. The blonde king smiled, and greeted, “Good morning, Aunt Pol, Shippo.”
 
“Good morning, Garion, dear.” Polgara held up a plate of eggs to him.
 
Garion said, “Thanks, Aunt Pol.” He glanced towards Shippo's pan. “Uh, Shippo, you might want to pay attention to the bacon. It's starting to burn.”
 
Shippo jumped, staring at the blackening edges of his bacon. He cried out, “Shit.” The little boy quickly removed them, putting them on the plate with the rest. He glared at the Rivan King when he began to laugh softly. “What?”
 
Garion shook his head. “Nothing. Nothing at all.”
 
Polgara cleared her throat. Shippo turned to face her and froze. Her eyes were like ice, and her expression was stern. Shippo cowered underneath her penetrating stare. Not even Sesshomaru was nearly this intimidating. The white lock at her brow seemed to flare an even brighter white. In a crisp voice, Polgara said, “Watch your language, young man.”
 
Shippo bit his lip, squirming. “I---I'm sorry, Lady Polgara. I won't do it again. I promise.”
 
Polgara's eyes narrowed and her mouth drew into a tight frown. “I recommend that you don't make promises that you cannot keep.”
 
Shippo bowed his head, feeling contrite for his use of curse words. He said softly, “I didn't mean to. Honestly. I'm sorry, Lady Polgara.”
 
He felt her hand on his shoulder. Polgara said, “I'm sure you didn't. Just be careful from now on, alright, dear? Now, you had better get breakfast to Inuyasha and Kagome before it gets cold.”
 
Shippo looked up to see the sorceress smile again. He tentatively smiled in return and nodded. “Okay, Lady Polgara.”
 
Garion laughed softly. “Aunt Pol, how many times did we have this conversation when I was a boy? Hundreds? Thousands?”
 
“Once was too many, dear. Make yourself useful and bring some breakfast to your grandparents,” Polgara commanded. “Be quick about it! The Old Wolf will complain if his eggs are too cold.”
 
Garion's cheeks turned slightly pink. He bowed his head and mumbled, “Yes, Aunt Pol.”
 
Polgara looked towards Shippo. “And you, dear, why are you still standing here? Go on.”
 
Shippo snatched up some bacon and three plates of eggs. He said, “Thank-you, Lady Polgara.”
 
The little boy scurried back to the tent and quietly entered. Once inside, he set the plates down. His parents were awake, but still cuddled together. Inuyasha's chin rested atop of Kagome's head as he leaned up against the tent wall. His arms were circled around her protectively. Kagome sat nestled between the hanyou's legs, and she reclined comfortably against Inuyasha's chest.
 
Inuyasha asked softly, “Oi, runt, what do you have there?”
 
Shippo puffed his chest out in pride. “Breakfast. I made the bacon myself.”
 
Kagome opened her eyes and gave him a warm smile. “You did, Shippo? That's great. I'm sure it's delicious.”
 
Inuyasha snatched a piece from a plate. He ate it, chewing slowly. A contemplative look crossed his face, and he said, “Not bad, runt. A little burnt, but it's just the edges.”
 
Shippo deflated and stuck his bottom lip out into a pout. “Hey, it was my first time cooking it. You don't have to eat it if you don't like it, you know.”
 
Inuyasha chuckled softly, then started to laugh hard. It was rich and carefree in nature, something Shippo had never heard from the hanyou. He caught his breath and shook his head. Inuyasha said, still laughing, “Now you sound just like Kagome.”
 
Kagome elbowed the amused hanyou in the gut, glaring up at him. She said, her voice cold, “And just what is that supposed to mean, Inuyasha?”
 
Inuyasha blinked, his ears flattening to his head. “Oi! Don't look at me like that, Kagome. It wasn't an insult, honestly.”
 
Kagome slid out of his embrace and took one of the plates from Shippo. She ate a piece of bacon, and said, “I think it tastes great, Shippo. You should be proud of yourself.”
 
Shippo let a smug expression cross his face. Inuyasha had stuck his foot into his mouth again, and this time, the little boy hadn't had to do anything. He said, “Thank-you, mother.”
 
Inuyasha threw his hands up in the air and sighed in exasperation. “Oi! You're gaining up on me. Hey, I said that it wasn't that bad. He did pretty well for a first try, okay?”
 
Kagome glared at him, then burst into giggles. She leaned forward and kissed him. Kagome rubbed her nose against Inuyasha's, and said, “You're so cute when you're bewildered, did you know that?”
 
Inuyasha's ears twitched and his eyes narrowed. “Now that wasn't fair, Kagome.”
 
She handed him a plate of eggs. “Oh don't pout, Inuyasha.”
 
“I'm not pouting!” He frowned, his brows furrowing.
 
Kagome giggled. “Yes, you are, my hanyou.”
 
Shippo looked from Inuyasha to Kagome and back again. He noticed that a small smirk crossed Inuyasha's lips and a playful smile Kagome's. This wasn't a fight like they had in the past. It was different, and the fox kit wasn't sure that he liked it. Inuyasha and Kagome were playing, mock fighting, and Shippo felt like he'd missed the inside joke. He picked at his eggs, pouting. Somehow, he'd been left out, even though he was still in the tent with them.
 
Inuyasha stopped eating and glanced towards the little boy. “What's wrong, brat?”
 
Shippo sighed and muttered, “Nothing.”
 
“Doesn't look like nothing to me, not with the way that bottom lip's sticking out.”
 
Shippo's brow furrowed in confusion. He couldn't figure out why Inuyasha would care. Usually, the hanyou would have gotten disgruntled. He should have tried to hit him by now. It puzzled him that Inuyasha hadn't reacted as he normally did. Then, it angered him. Maybe Inuyasha was trying a new tactic to look better to Kagome.
 
Shippo looked down at his eggs and swirled them around with his chopsticks. He sighed, feeling foolish for getting jealous. Everything had changed since he'd accepted Inuyasha as his father. Yet, he still couldn't help it. He wanted Kagome to pay him more attention and right now it seemed all of it was focused on Inuyasha, leaving him in the cold. In fact, she hadn't even hugged him yet. All in all, Shippo felt neglected.
 
Lifting his eyes, he glared at Inuyasha. As overjoyed as he'd been to discover that the hanyou thought of him as a son, a part of him wished that Kagome and Inuyasha had never become mates. He mumbled, “I'm fine.”
 
Inuyasha twitched his ears, a dubious expression crossing his face. “Alright. If you say so, Shippo.”
 
Kagome moved to sit next to him. She put her arm around his shoulders, pulling him against her side. “Your bacon turned out just right.” She ruffled his hair and kissed his temple. “You know Inuyasha. That's just how he compliments.”
 
Inuyasha finished his eggs and grabbed another piece of bacon, this time from Kagome's plate. “Yeah, runt. You really only seemed to burn a couple.” He bit it in half. “Tastes pretty good, actually.”
 
“Inuyasha---,” Kagome said, her voice almost a growl.
 
“What? I said something nice. Why are you looking at me like that?” The hanyou had a surprised expression on his face.
 
“That was my bacon, that's what, mister.”
 
“Oh.” He smiled, flashing his fangs. “Want the other half?”
 
Kagome swiped it from his hand. She said, a sly grin crossing her lips, “How gracious of you, Inuyasha.”
 
“I rather thought so.” Inuyasha kissed her, then nuzzled his mark.
 
Shippo frowned, feeling like he'd missed something again. Just what was going on between the two of them? He'd never seen them behave this way before, so he wasn't sure what to think of it. He was so confused. There just was something wrong about it. By now, Kagome should have sat Inuyasha, or Shippo thought so, at least. It was what happened in the past. What bothered the fox kit the most was how comfortable Inuyasha seemed. Up until now, he'd never really seen Kagome and Inuyasha kiss like that, not without any embarrassment at least.
 
Shippo found himself toppled over with Inuyasha smirking down at him. The hanyou asked, “Just what's got you so confused, huh, runt?”
 
The fox kit blinked. He asked, “What?”
 
Inuyasha laughed. “You just looked so dazed, Shippo.” He ruffled Shippo's hair. He glanced from Shippo to Kagome, and back again. The hanyou leaned in and whispered, “Come on, let's gain up on your mother. What do you say? I bet she's ticklish this morning, don't you?”
 
Shippo furrowed his brows, now even more perplexed. He felt a fresh wave of guilt for being jealous. Inuyasha wasn't doing anything wrong. In fact, the hanyou had been acting more and more like a real father. He looked towards Kagome, who seemed occupied with finishing her breakfast. The little boy looked back at Inuyasha and nodded enthusiastically. He smiled wide and said, “Yeah, I bet she is, too.”
 
“Good. Then let's get her.”
 
Kagome looked up from her plate and frowned. “Alright boys, just what are you up to now?”
 
Inuyasha's expression became innocent. “We're not up to anything, honest. Why do you always assume we're up to something?”
 
Kagome narrowed her eyes and snorted. “Because I know you two. You don't act all innocent like that unless you're up to something.” She set her plate aside and crossed her arms. “So, what is it this time?”
 
Shippo took advantage of her scrutiny of Inuyasha as his opportunity. The little boy lunged, hugging his mother tight. Before she could react, Shippo started to tickle her. He made sure to tickle her ribs especially. The fox kit cried out, “Gotcha!”
Kagome started to giggle and toppled backwards. “No fair!”
 
Inuyasha joined in, tickling Kagome's feet. This caused her to start kicking. Inuyasha chuckled and said, “Don't let up, Shippo! We've got her!”
 
Shippo relentlessly tickled Kagome, making sure to get all the sensitive spots. He continued to tickle her ribs the most, which in turn made his mother laugh the hardest. Her laughter was so pure and musical. It was also infectious, and Shippo struggled not to succumb to his own giggling fit. Once he started, he knew that he couldn't stop. Unfortunately, he lost the battle, giving Kagome the edge. She easily pinned him down and tickled him without mercy.
 
Between gasps for air, Shippo pleaded, “Father, help me!”
 
Inuyasha grasped Kagome about the waist and tickled her. “Like to see you pull that trick on me, wench. That wasn't fair. You're so much bigger than the runt.”
 
Kagome squirmed under Inuyasha's attack. She giggled wildly. His mother said, her words staggered, “And---ambushing---me---was?”
 
“Plenty. I'm the one making up the rules,” Inuyasha retorted, never relenting in his tickling torture. “Come on, Shippo, help me out.”
 
Shippo rejoined his father, tickling his mother's stomach. He had to dodge wildly thrown punches and kicks, as Kagome fought back against their attack. He tickled her sides, which in turn made her squeal. She gasped for breath and weakly tried to push Inuyasha and Shippo away.
 
“We've got her now, Shippo!” Inuyasha crowed. “Do you yield, wench?”
 
Shippo giggled. “Yeah! She can't stop us now!”
 
Kagome giggled and said her voice breathless, “Never!”
 
Inuyasha grinned and flashed his fangs. He continued to tickle her, but lowered his head to whisper something into her ear. Kagome squirmed, but stopped fighting as ferociously. Shippo frowned, uncertain as to what had just transpired between his parents. Somehow, he felt left out again.
 
Inuyasha glanced over his shoulder at him and smiled wide. “Come on, runt, help me!”
 
Shippo started to tickle her feet this time, only to have Kagome kick aimlessly. She giggled and collapsed back. She pleaded, “Stop! I give up! Enough. I can't breathe you guys!”
 
Inuyasha stopped and kissed Kagome's forehead. “Alright, we'll stop, but just know that we know your weakness, now.”
 
Shippo laughed softly, a hesitation to it. He said, “We sure got you, mother.”
 
Kagome sat up and pulled the little boy to her chest. She hugged him tight, squeezing him. “Look who's got who now!”
 
“Let go! I can't breathe, mother!” Shippo cried out, squirming in her embrace. “Help!”
 
Inuyasha laughed softly. “Kagome, don't make me tickle you again. Let the runt go.”
 
“Okay, okay.” Kagome let Shippo go. She leaned in and whispered in the little boy's ear, “I bet your father's ticklish, too. Want to find out?” Looking up towards Inuyasha, she said, “No more tickling me.”
 
Shippo looked up towards his mother and winked. He looked towards Inuyasha and said, “Are you going to let her get away with that?”
 
Inuyasha twitched his ears and scratched his head. “I don't know, that really wasn't fair of her, but I guess we shouldn't tickle her too much. She might get mad, and neither of us want to see that, right?”
 
Kagome took advantage and pounced the hanyou. He fell backwards, grunting. Kagome tickled his stomach, making him laugh and struggle. She whispered into one of his furry ears, “Gotcha.” Kagome called out, “Come on, Shippo. Tickle his feet!”
 
Inuyasha laughed, the sound a rich, deep timbre. He playfully tried to push Kagome away. “Hey, you traitor! You were supposed to be on my side!”
 
Shippo grabbed one of his father's feet and started to tickle without mercy. The hanyou kicked, trying to get his foot free. Shippo wouldn't let go, making sure to tickle his toes, too. Inuyasha's kicks became frantic and his laughter breathless. Shippo looked towards Kagome as she continued tickling his sides and stomach. The hanyou tried to roll away from them, but failed when he collapsed back, unable to stop laughing.
 
Kagome asked, “Do you give up, Inuyasha?”
 
Inuyasha raised his hands in surrender. “Alright, wench, enough! Please!”
 
Kagome laughed and kissed his cheek. “There, now we're even.”
 
There was a soft tap on the tarp of the tent. Inuyasha sighed and stood up. He moved to the tent entrance and poked his head out. “Oh, hey, jackass. About time.”
 
Shippo sat up, looking anxiously towards the tent entrance. Just what did Inuyasha want with Sesshomaru? Inuyasha stepped outside, and the tent flap fell, obscuring the fox kit's view. Shippo strained to hear what they might be talking about, but couldn't, so he figured that they must have moved away from the tent. This only piqued his curiosity all the more.
 
The Demon Lord still made the boy nervous. Even though Sesshomaru had become an ally, Shippo wasn't as certain as both Kagome and Inuyasha seemed to be. He kept expecting Inuyasha and Sesshomaru to fight. No matter how many times his mother told him that the Demon Lord was a puppy dog inside, Shippo could only see the cold, ruthless exterior. Sesshomaru was an enigma to the little boy.
 
Kagome put a hand on his shoulder and smiled. “Thanks for breakfast, again, Shippo-chan. It was really good.”
 
Distracted, Shippo blushed. “Lady Polgara made the eggs, though. I just made the bacon.”
 
“Don't be so modest. That's half the breakfast.” Kagome hugged him. “I'm so proud of you.”
 
Inuyasha peeked back inside and said, “Shippo, mind coming out here?”
 
Shippo hesitated and looked to Kagome for reassurance. She nodded in encouragement and smiled. Shippo gulped and stepped out of the tent. Once outside, he froze. Sesshomaru's imposing figure stood next to Inuyasha, his piercing gaze fixed on the fox kit. Shippo trembled slightly, resisting the urge to flee back into the security of the tent.
 
The little boy looked towards Inuyasha and stuttered, “I-Inuyasha?”
 
“It's alright, Shippo.” Inuyasha knelt down and put a hand on Shippo's shoulder. He said, his voice firm, “You'll be staying with Sesshomaru for a few days.”
 
Shippo gasped, looking towards the intimidating Demon Lord. Had he misheard his father? He glanced back towards Inuyasha, only to find a grim expression on his face. The hanyou had meant it. He asked, softly, in a last hope that he had heard wrong, “I will?”
 
“Yes. You will,” Inuyasha replied, authority filling his voice.
 
Kagome exited the tent behind him and moved to stand next to Inuyasha. She wore the same sober expression, and Shippo knew that arguing about it wouldn't change things. She clasped Inuyasha's hand in her own, displaying their united front. His mother said, “Shippo, please, it'll only be for a few days.”
 
Sesshomaru's low, quiet baritone interrupted, “If you are finished coddling the pup, this Sesshomaru would like to return to Rin.”
 
“Alright.” Inuyasha nodded.
 
Kagome knelt down in front of Shippo. She drew him into a hug and kissed his temple. His mother whispered, “I love you, Shippo-chan. You behave for Sesshomaru, okay? Remember, he's a big puppy dog underneath it all.”
 
Shippo swallowed, fighting back tears. He whispered, “I love you, too, mother. I will.”
 
Once his mother let go, Inuyasha said, “Alright, runt, let's go.”
 
Shippo nodded, his head bowed. He trudged behind the inu-brothers to Sesshomaru's awaiting tent. He really didn't want to do this. It felt like he was being led to his execution. The fox kit wanted to go back in time, to when they were tickling. Somehow, Shippo felt as if he'd been thrown to the wolves.
 
Just before they arrived, Inuyasha stopped and knelt down. He said, “You listen to Sesshomaru, Shippo.” He ruffled the boy's hair. “You'll be fine.”
 
Shippo watched Inuyasha's retreating form. He wanted to go with him, flee back to the tent. A sense of doom settled in his stomach. Just what would happen to him now? The stoic Demon Lord might do anything, and Shippo knew he wouldn't like any of it.
 
“Come, boy,” Sesshomaru's cold voice commanded.
 
Shippo jolted out of his thoughts and followed the Demon Lord. They finished the long trek to Sesshomaru's tent, finding a petite, tawny-haired woman waiting. A mysterious smile crossed her full lips and mischief glinted in her gold eyes. She said, “One was beginning to wonder if you had gotten lost on the way.”
 
Sesshomaru snorted, his only outward display of irritation. “How is Rin?”
 
“She is well. Polgara came by. She said that Rin should try walking some today.”
 
A grave frown crossed the Demon Lord's lips and he nodded. “And of her lessons?”
 
The strange woman laughed softly. She tilted her head in Shippo's direction. “Will one have time?”
 
Shippo wasn't sure if she had insulted him or not. He didn't know what she was teaching Rin, but he wouldn't get in the way. He planned on staying out of the Demon Lord's path as much as possible. Besides, it meant Sesshomaru's attention would be diverted, and away from him. It could only be to his benefit.
 
“The boy is of no consequence,” Sesshomaru coolly replied. “If you wish to hold a lesson, this Sesshomaru does not object.”
 
Shippo knew that was an insult. He felt his pride bruise. He frowned, but kept his mouth shut. He knew better than to protest one of Sesshomaru's insults. Unlike Inuyasha, the fox kit was certain that the Demon Lord would hold nothing back. If anything, Sesshomaru would make certain that he never did so again. Shippo shuddered to imagine the punishments that Sesshomaru would dole out.
 
The strange woman nodded. “Very well. One plans on holding Rin's next lesson tomorrow afternoon. One thinks one will be busy this evening. Is this satisfactory?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Good.” She turned and smiled in Shippo's direction. Her gold eyes penetrated deep into him, a flicker of amusement dancing in their depths. “One wishes you luck, young wolf.”
 
Shippo began to protest that he was a fox and not a wolf, but she walked away before he could start. After she left, Shippo stared at the spot she had been. He had seen the woman several times, but did not know her name. There was something otherworldly about her, but he didn't know what. He thought it unusual for a human to have the same gold eyes as his father and Sesshomaru. It unnerved him that they pierced him the same way.
 
Shippo glanced in Sesshomaru's direction, only to realize that he was no longer there. The Demon Lord must have gone inside the tent. He glared at it, and stuck his tongue out. Sesshomaru really didn't care if he was there. Despite being insulted by the stoic Demon Lord's rebuff, Shippo hoped that it would keep him out of trouble.
 
The fox kit wandered to a small space away from the tent. He sighed and sat down on a log. The day had been so promising. How had he ended up here with Sesshomaru as his guardian? Shippo muttered under his breath, “Stupid Inuyasha, that's how.”
 
A small rock sat nearby, and Shippo bent to pick it up. He hurled it at an adjacent tree and was rewarded with a resounding thwack. Anger filled him. He had been only allowed to spend the last few days with his mother, and now he didn't know when he'd get another chance. Shippo knew that he had only one person to blame for that: Inuyasha.
 
“Stupid Inuyasha. He gets to spend all the time he wants with mother. It's not fair.” Shippo sighed, and rested his chin in his hand. “I hardly ever get to see Kagome now.”
 
Shippo thought about the tickling game from that morning. He felt tricked. Somehow, Inuyasha figured that he wouldn't mind staying with Sesshomaru as much if they played some first. Shippo kicked the dirt. It hadn't been time with his family; it had been part of a ruse to get rid of him.
 
“Inuyasha's so selfish, always keeping Kagome for himself. If they hadn't become mates, I could spend way more time with her.” Shippo snorted. “He just doesn't want me to spend any time with mother. I bet he doesn't really think of me as his son like he said he did.”
 
The little boy stood up and chucked another rock at a tree in frustration. It was obvious to him that the hanyou really didn't want him. Inuyasha was always sending him away, after all. Shippo bit his lip to hold in tears, resolving to be angry instead. It's not like he had asked Inuyasha to be his father, anyways.
 
Shippo clenched his hands into fists at his sides. He growled softly, “Damn him. I hate him. I hate Inuyasha. It's all his fault that mother can't spend any time with me like she used to. It's not fair. I wish they'd never become mates. Stupid Inuyasha.” The little boy paced. “What does he know about being a father anyways? He never knew his. Besides, he's always sending me away. I hate him.”
 
“This Sesshomaru finds it interesting that his half-breed brother adopted such an ingrate to be his son,” the Demon Lord's detached baritone interrupted Shippo's building temper tantrum. “I would have left you to flounder on your own for the little thanks in return for the food, clothing, and protection being provided.”
 
Shippo stopped pacing and began to tremble. Just how much had the Demon Lord heard? He hadn't even heard Sesshomaru's approach. Slowly, Shippo turned around, seeing the imposing, lithe frame of the powerful and terrible Demon Lord. The little boy stuttered, “S-s-s-esshomaru-sama?”
 
Sesshomaru's expression remained cold, all the more chilling for the small smile crossing his lips. One of his aristocratic eyebrows raised in mock amusement. “My brother is far more lenient than I am with stray orphans. He's been too soft on discipline, but this Sesshomaru doesn't suppose it's for lack of trying.” The Demon Lord leaned gracefully, yet nonchalantly against a tree. “Somehow, this Sesshomaru suspects the miko you call mother for the lack of obedience.”
 
Shippo felt his hackles raise at the direct insult to his mother. What business was it of Sesshomaru's? His relationship with her was his, and the Demon Lord had no right to judge it. He wanted to tell Sesshomaru to shut up, but didn't dare. As angry as he was, Shippo's fear of the Demon Lord far outweighed the anger.
 
Sesshomaru snorted. “Your utter lack of manners is ill befitting a full blooded demon.” He sighed. “This Sesshomaru surmises that might be the half-breed's fault as he has so few of his own.” Sesshomaru turned his narrowed gaze on Shippo, boring a hole into the boy. “However, half-breed that he may be, your father has the honor equal to a Demon Lord such as myself. You're lucky, boy. It's his honor that's kept you around, and nothing else. He's the pack-leader, and he could have easily cast you aside, despite your mother's objections. Never forget that.”
 
Shippo stared up at the Demon Lord, his eyes wide. What would Sesshomaru do to him? Now that he knew that Sesshomaru had probably overheard his entire rant, he felt fear overwhelm him. There was no where to hide from the Demon Lord's wrath.
 
“Furthermore, never forget that the blood flowing in your father's veins is that of the late Inu no Tashio---this Sesshomaru's own father. Inuyasha may have never known our father, but he is very much the Inu no Tashio's son. You would do well to be thankful for being lucky enough to be considered Inuyasha's son.”
 
Shippo bit his lip to hold back the tears of shame flooding his eyes. Sesshomaru's words cut deep into the little boy, and he felt guilty for his earlier tirade. He knew that Inuyasha could have chosen not to be his father. He knew it, always had, but to hear it hurt. Deep down, Shippo had been grateful to Inuyasha, but his jealousy always blinded him.
 
The admonished fox whispered, “Yes, Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
Sesshomaru snorted. “This Sesshomaru also suspects that your mother, being a mere human, has no idea what a demon child needs.” The Demon Lord stepped closer, glaring down at Shippo. “Tell me, boy, do you have any grasp over your demon powers? Your father cannot teach you, and your mother does not know how.”
 
Shippo looked down and shook his head. He knew that he had only a rudimentary understanding of beginner's fox magic. It wasn't entirely his fault, though. His real parents had been killed before he could learn. Where would he gain the knowledge now? He stuttered, “N-no, Sesshomaru-sama. I-I don't know anything about my fox magic except the very basics.”
 
“This Sesshomaru rather thought so.” Sesshomaru stepped even closer. “Look at me, boy.”
 
Shippo raised his head, his eyes fixing upon the ethereal face of the Demon Lord. He asked softly, “Yes, Sesshomaru-sama?”
 
“Know this: I only offer this to you because my brother has accepted you as his son, his pack. Therefore, you are of my pack. This Sesshomaru will not tolerate an untrained demon child.” Sesshomaru frowned, his expression serious. “This Sesshomaru, as the only other full blood of our pack, proposes to instruct you in the mastering of your demon abilities. Only on one condition.”
 
Shippo gasped in surprise. He hadn't expected this. He had wanted to learn more about his fox magic, but had nearly given up hope of ever progressing. Here was his chance and from the most unlikely of sources. Excitement filled him, and he vigorously nodded. Shippo breathlessly said, “Anything, Sesshomaru-sama. I want to learn.”
 
“Good.” Sesshomaru tilted his head, staring down at the fox kit. “You will apologize to your father and ask him of his permission. I will not instruct you until you do this.”
 
Shippo gulped in air. He really didn't want to do this. He didn't want Inuyasha, and more importantly Kagome, to know about his outburst. Shippo meekly asked, “Do---do I have to?”
 
“Yes.” Sesshomaru glared imperiously at him. “If you wish to truly be this Sesshomaru's student, you must.”
 
Shippo's desire to learn overwhelmed his desire to keep his temper tantrum secret. He bowed low at the Demon Lord's feet in supplication. “Yes, Sesshomaru-sama. I'll do it.”
 
“Good.” The Demon Lord lowered his voice. “If you become this Sesshomaru's pupil, boy, know that it means that you will do as I say---without objection or complaint. Is this understood?”
 
Shippo remained prostrate before Sesshomaru. He said, “Yes, Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
“This Sesshomaru will hold you to your word. Now, let us return to your father. I wish to bear witness to your apology.” Sesshomaru turned his back and began to proceed towards Inuyasha's tent. “Now, boy.”
 
Shippo remained on his knees, staring at the Demon Lord's retreating figure. There was such poise and grace in Sesshomaru's posture. It just seemed so effortless. The little boy couldn't help but admire and envy the power that emanated from him. Shippo admitted that he hoped to have the same presence one day.
 
Before Sesshomaru could tell him again, Shippo scrambled to follow him. He felt dread settle in the pit of his stomach. Although he had agreed to Sesshomaru's terms for his education, the little boy didn't want to see the disappointment on the faces of his parents. Shippo was already embarrassed about his childish behavior. Apologizing to them provided further humiliation. Deep down, the fox kit knew that he only had himself to blame.
 
Fear gripped the little boy as well. What if, after he apologized, his father denied his request to become Sesshomaru's student? After he admitted to his bad behavior, would his father even want to hear it? Shippo took a deep breath in an attempt to settle his frayed nerves.
 
When they arrived back at Inuyasha's tent, Sesshomaru stopped. He said, his tone unemotional, “Half-breed, this Sesshomaru wishes to speak with you.”
 
Inuyasha stepped out, his ears twitching and his eyebrows knit together in confusion. “What's going on, jackass? I thought you were going to take the runt for a few days.”
 
“This Sesshomaru shall,” Sesshomaru began. “However, the boy has something he wishes to say to you.”
 
Inuyasha's nose wrinkled, and he looked towards Shippo. He asked, “Well, runt, what is it?”
 
Shippo scuffed his foot into the dirt. He bowed his head, ashamed. The little boy wasn't sure how to start. He said, “Well, uh, I---”
 
Kagome exited the tent, standing behind Inuyasha. “Shippo? What are you doing back here?”
 
Shippo froze, staring at Kagome. He felt his mouth run dry. How could he apologize when he knew it'd hurt her? He wasn't sure how he'd manage without disappointing her. Shippo wanted to turn around and run away. He'd do anything to get out of doing this.
 
Sesshomaru cleared his throat and said, “Boy, this Sesshomaru thought you had something to say.”
 
The fox kit looked towards the Demon Lord. His expression was grim. It was obvious that Sesshomaru wouldn't let him get out of apologizing. Shippo clasped his hands tightly behind his back and rocked on his feet. He bit his lip and bowed his head. “Father, I'm---I'm sorry.”
 
“Sorry?” Inuyasha asked, concern in his voice. “Sorry for what, runt?”
 
Shippo blinked back tears. He said, “I said some bad thing about you, father. It was wrong of me, and I'm sorry.”
 
“Bad things? What did you say, Shippo?” Kagome asked. She sighed and shook her head. “You didn't, did you? Oh, Shippo.”
 
Shippo sunk his fangs into his lip. He nodded and said, “I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. Forgive me, please, father, mother.”
 
A long disappointed sigh escaped Inuyasha's lips. There was a long silence, and Shippo wished that the hanyou would get angry. He'd prefer the shouting and bellowing to this crushing quiet. The little boy wanted his father to bark insults, chase him around, hit him, anything but this subdued hush. The guilt constricting his chest hurt more than any blow Inuyasha had ever given him.
 
“I thought that we'd gotten past this, Shippo,” Inuyasha said, his voice soft.
 
“I'm so, so sorry, father,” Shippo said, bowing at Inuyasha's feet. “Please, forgive me.”
 
“Get up, Shippo.”
 
Shippo stood slowly, but kept his head down and his shoulders slumped. “I'm sorry.”
 
“Are you?” Inuyasha moved to stand in front of him. “Or are you just sorry that Sesshomaru caught you bad-mouthing me? I'm disappointed in you, Shippo. You know that I don't care what you say about me---but you know that when you do that, you also insult your mother. That, I can't take.”
 
The little boy felt hot, salty tears slide down his cheeks. He bit his lip to hold in a sob and nodded. “I'm really sorry, father.”
 
“Don't apologize to me, Shippo. You should apologize to your mother,” Inuyasha whispered.
 
Shippo looked towards his mother. Kagome's expression was brokenhearted. He could see tears shimmering in her eyes, and it hurt him to know that he was the cause. He knew it hurt her when he insulted his father. Shippo bit his lip and sucked in air. He said, “I'm sorry, mother. Please, forgive me.”
 
Kagome wiped a stray tear from her eye. She said, her voice quiet, “I hope you really mean that you're sorry for insulting your father like that, Shippo. I hope you're not just saying it. I really hope we never have this conversation again.”
 
“I do, I do. I won't do it again. Honest.”
 
Inuyasha sighed and turned his back. “I can't be sure you mean that, or if you just hope that it'll get you out of trouble, Shippo. How do I know that I can trust your word?”
 
Shippo wiped tears from his eyes. “Please, father, let me prove it. Please.”
 
“How do you plan on proving it to me, Shippo?” Inuyasha turned, facing him.
 
“I---I want to be Sesshomaru-sama's student. He'll teach me about my demon powers,” Shippo said, his words rushed. “I want to be a better demon---I want to be strong---like you, father. Please, let me do this to prove that I mean what I say, father.”
 
Inuyasha twitched his ears and arched an eyebrow. “You want to learn from Sesshomaru?” He glanced towards the Demon Lord. “Is this true, jackass?”
 
“It is. I have offered to instruct the boy in his demon abilities---provided he acquires your permission. He has no other full-blood to learn from other than this Sesshomaru,” the Demon Lord's smooth baritone replied. “The boy must learn sooner or later.”
 
Inuyasha nodded. “I agree.” He knelt down in front of Shippo. “Are you sure you want to do this?”
 
The fox kit nodded. “Yes. I want to learn, father.”
 
“Alright. If that's what you want, I won't stop you.” Inuyasha put a hand on his shoulder. “I forgive you, Shippo, but you had better keep your word. No matter what, never forget that's all you really have.”
 
“Yes, father.”
 
Inuyasha stood. “Alright, jackass, you have my permission.”
 
“Good.” Sesshomaru nodded. “The boy and I will leave you now. His instruction will begin today. I will keep you informed of his progress.”
 
“Thanks, Sesshomaru.”
 
Sesshomaru turned his back. “Come, boy.”
 
Shippo said, “Thank-you, father.”
 
“You're welcome.” Inuyasha waved his hand at the fox kit. “You better get going. You wouldn't want to make Sesshomaru wait.”
 
“Yes, father.” Shippo darted to catch up with the Demon Lord.
 
Sesshomaru stopped in a small grove near his tent. “Sit, boy. This Sesshomaru would like to establish some ground rules.”
 
The little boy sat down and looked up towards the Demon Lord attentively. He said, “Yes, Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
“Now that you are officially this Sesshomaru's student, you will do as I tell you.” Sesshomaru looked down, piercing him with a stern glare. “Is this clear, boy?”
 
Shippo nodded. “Yes, Sesshomaru-sama. I understand.”
 
“This Sesshomaru does not know fox magic, but he does know how to bring out natural demon abilities,” Sesshomaru began. “There are those that would use that accursed jewel, such as the worthless wolf, to enhance their abilities. It is, however, false strength. What this Sesshomaru will teach you can only be learned through discipline, diligence, and perseverance. What this Sesshomaru will teach you is what his father taught him. What you will learn will give you true strength and mastery of your abilities---but only if you are dedicated.”
 
“Yes, Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
“Now, this Sesshomaru has some rules. From now on, you shall address everyone with respect. You will no longer refer to anyone without an honorific,” Sesshomaru said. “For instance, from hereon, you will use the honorific sama with Rin. You will call her Rin-sama. Understand?”
 
“Yes, Sesshomaru-sama. I will.”
 
“You will show me, and everyone else, respect. You will bow when you greet and depart. You will refrain from acting rambunctiously in public,” The Demon Lord said. He took a seat on a log across from the fox kit. “You will not speak unless spoken to. It is a privilege to speak freely, and it is one that you must earn.”
 
As his silent response, Shippo nodded. He knew that this rule was due to his earlier outburst. He also understood that he deserved this. If he had been responsible, Shippo wouldn't have had this rule imposed on him. It would be a long time before the little boy deserved this liberty again.
 
Sesshomaru said, his voice crisp, “You will no longer stay in anyone else's tent. You will have your own, and you will set it up near this Sesshomaru's. It will be your responsibility and no one else's. After we finish this conversation, you will ask for a tent and return near this Sesshomaru's to set it up. Understand, boy?”
 
Shippo's eyes went wide at this order. How would he set up his own tent? He was so small, he wasn't sure he could do this. There was so much that went into setting up a tent. Was he tall enough? Would he be able to tie the ropes tight enough or pound the stakes in hard enough? The little boy felt anxious about it.
 
Sesshomaru arched an eyebrow and cleared his throat. “Well, boy?”
 
Shippo jumped and bowed. “Yes, Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
“Good.” Sesshomaru stood and turned his back. “One final thing, boy: think of all you do know of your demon abilities. We will begin with that tomorrow.”
 
“Yes, Sesshomaru-sama,” Shippo replied. “I will.”
 
Sesshomaru began to walk away. “Get your tent, then, and set it up.”
 
“Wait, please, Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
Sesshomaru glanced over his shoulder. “Yes, boy?”
 
“Can I ask you something, Sesshomaru-sama?” Shippo asked, rocking on his feet.
 
“You may.”
 
“Can---can I call you Sesshomaru-sensei?”
 
Sesshomaru turned around and a small thoughtful frown crossed his lips. Small creases lined his crescent moon. Shippo thought that he might have insulted the Demon Lord. Sesshomaru nodded. “You may, boy. This Sesshomaru would like that.”
 
Shippo flashed his fangs at the Demon Lord in a toothy grin. “Thank-you, Sesshomaru-sensei.”
 
“You're welcome, boy. Now, go get your tent.”
 
Shippo started to rush away. He stopped and bowed. “Yes, Sesshomaru-sensei.”
 
Scampering towards the first adult he recognized, Shippo asked, “May I have a tent, please?”
 
Polgara glanced down at him from a packhorse. She held a pan, evidence that she was gathering supplies for cooking supper. The sorceress arched an eyebrow. “Why would you need a tent, Shippo-chan? Aren't you staying with Sesshomaru?”
 
Shippo blushed, realizing that he had forgotten to bow. He bowed low and said, “Please, Polgara-sama, I need one. Sesshomaru-sensei said that I have to get one.”
 
“Alright, dear. Let me get one, then.” The dark haired sorceress smiled. She moved to a different packhorse and pulled a spare tent out. “Here you go, dear. Good luck with it, for whatever reason you need it.”
 
Shippo accepted it and bowed awkwardly. “Thank-you, Polgara-sama.”
 
“You're welcome, dear.”
 
Shippo started towards Sesshomaru's tent, teetering off balance from the heavy weight of his tent. He slowed, trying to remain stable. Its shape was awkward and bulky. He began to pant from the effort. It suddenly seemed such a long way from the pack horses to Sesshomaru's tent. The little boy wiped sweat from his brow. This could take a very long time.
 
Finally, the little boy spotted Sesshomaru's tent. He lugged his until it a was a few feet away, then began unrolling it. The fox kit glanced towards the Demon Lord, and they exchanged nods. Shippo turned his attention to putting the stakes in first. It took some force, but he managed to get them pounded into the hard ground. Next, he set up the poles, making certain that they were properly spaced and sturdy.
 
Shippo set out to unravel the knotted ropes. His nimble fingers easily worked loose a few twists. As it became more frustrating, Shippo sighed. At this rate, it'd take him the rest of the night to set up his tent. The fox kit growled softly. He wanted to untangle it quickly, but had to be careful of his claws or he'd cut the ropes.
 
Sighing, Shippo set them down a moment before he did just that. He looked over towards Sesshomaru's tent and gasped at the sight. The Demon Lord held Rin about the waist, steadying her petite frame. Slowly, they moved in a small circle, Rin limping slightly. As they turned, facing him, Shippo's eyes went wide. Sesshomaru's expression was so soft and tender. He'd never seen such a look on the Demon Lord's face before.
 
Shippo looked back down at his rope, fighting with it a bit more. He didn't want to get caught gawking. Sesshomaru might find it offensive, and he had already seen enough of the Demon Lord's temper for one day. He struggled to get an end of a rope loose and began to work it through the knotted ball. He shook it, getting angry.
 
The little boy looked up again and forgot about his ropes. He watched in fascination as Rin slowly walked on her own. He noticed that Sesshomaru smiled softly and that his gold eyes were completely trained on her. She took an uneasy step towards the Demon Lord, favoring her uninjured ankle. Sesshomaru reached out to steady her a few times, but refrained from supporting her. Slowly, Rin closed the gap between them and hugged Sesshomaru.
 
The scene before him had Shippo riveted. He knew so little about Sesshomaru and Rin. He watched as the little girl reached up, rubbing one of Sesshomaru's cheek stripes. Sesshomaru's expression continued to soften, and he wrapped his arm about her tiny frame. It seemed like some unspoken communication had passed between the two.
 
Shippo fought again with the ropes, trying to work them free. He untangled a large portion of them, shaking them. Just a little bit more, and he'd have them. Out of the corner of his eye, he continued to watch the Demon Lord and little girl. Sesshomaru assisted her, lowering her to sit down. He then placed some pillows under her injured foot. He moved to sit behind Rin and allowed her to settle back against him. Sesshomaru gently brushed hair from Rin's eyes and tucked it behind an ear. He kissed her temple and settled his arm about her waist, holding her.
The fox kit felt as if he were intruding. The moment felt so intimate. Kagome had told him that Sesshomaru was a puppy dog inside, but the little boy knew better. He could tell that Sesshomaru only felt this way about Rin. He also knew, despite being naive and young, that the Demon Lord absolutely adored the little girl. After seeing what he had, he knew that there could be no question.
 
Shippo returned to undoing the knots. He undid them, pulling a rope free. After that, the rest seemed to untie. Shippo started tying them to the stakes. He pulled hard, making sure they'd hold tight. Once the last rope was tied, he unfurled the tarp. This would be the tricky part, getting it over the poles.
 
Determined, Shippo managed to drape it over them. He scrambled up the poles and struggled some to anchor the tarp, but discovered that if he double knotted the ropes, it'd hold. He wiped sweat away from his brow and panted. Somehow, someway, he had gotten his tent set up. He admired it. This tent was his and his alone. The little boy felt proud of his accomplishment. Now, he'd have a place to sleep where he didn't have to fight anyone for space.
 
Shippo, unsure if he should approach, slowly made his way towards Sesshomaru and Rin. He didn't want to disturb them, but he also wanted to let his new sensei know that he had completed the task. He stopped a few feet away and bowed.
 
Sesshomaru, without opening his eyes, asked, “Yes, boy?”
 
“My tent is set up, Sesshomaru-sensei.”
 
“Excellent.”
 
“Is there anything else you'd like me to do, Sesshomaru-sensei?”
 
“Stay with Rin a moment. This Sesshomaru will go and get supper.”
 
“Yes, Sesshomaru-sensei.” Shippo bowed again.
 
The Demon Lord brushed his thumb across Rin's cheek. Rin smiled at him and nodded. It appeared that something had passed between them. Shippo glanced from one to the other, making certain that he hadn't just been imagining it. Sesshomaru pulled back and nodded in return. Shippo was certain now that they had conversed without words, even if he didn't know how.
 
Once Sesshomaru left, Shippo sat staring at the ground. He didn't know what to say to the little girl. The little boy wasn't even sure if he should speak to her. Sesshomaru had told him not to speak unless spoken to, after all. Shippo felt so nervous.
 
“How are you, Shippo-kun?” Rin asked, breaking the awkward silence.
 
Shippo blushed. He said, “I'm alright, Rin-sama.”
 
Rin laughed softly, the sound light. “You don't have to call Rin that, Shippo-kun.”
 
“Sesshomaru-sensei said that I should, Rin-sama,” Shippo answered.
 
“Oh.” She smiled knowingly. “Rin understands, then.”
 
Shippo returned the smile. He felt comfortable with her. There was something easy about Rin. Shippo didn't feel like he had to put on a front with her. He didn't feel as if she judged him. Her sunny nature improved his own.
 
Rin shifted on the pillows. She sighed, the sound displaying her annoyance. “Rin forgot her water cup over there.”
 
Shippo glanced towards the tent. It sat near the entrance. The fox kit stood up, making his way towards it. “I'll get it, Rin-sama.”
 
“No, don't do that, Shippo-kun,” Rin protested. “Rin can get it herself.”
 
“But your ankle, Rin-sama.”
 
“Don't worry. Rin won't have to get up to get it.” She smiled mysteriously.
 
Shippo frowned and twitched his tail confused. He wasn't sure what to think. It all seemed so cryptic. How could she get it without getting up? Shippo started to protest. He didn't want her to get hurt---and consequently upset the Demon Lord.
 
Just as he reached to grab the cup, it disappeared. Shippo blinked, wondering where it could have gone. He glanced towards Rin, finding it in her hands. How had it gotten there? He couldn't believe what he had just seen. Rin was only human, wasn't she?
 
“Rin-sama?”
 
Rin giggled. “It's okay, Shippo-kun. Rin did it.”
 
“How, Rin-sama?”
 
A light blush coated the little girl's cheeks. She paused, and Shippo wondered if he shouldn't have asked. Rin whispered, “Rin's a sorceress.”
 
“You mean like Polgara-sama?”
 
Rin nodded. “Yes.”
 
“I think that's neat, Rin-sama.”
 
“Really?” The little girl's blush deepened.
 
“Yeah. It means that you'll get to do awesome things.”
 
Rin smiled wide. “It does, doesn't it? Rin never thought of it that way.”
 
The Demon Lord returned with supper. Assisting him was the same strange woman as before. She carried a tray of food and set it down near Rin. Shippo's stomach growled, and he wanted to dig in. There was roasted meat, fresh bread, and a delicious smelling stew. He was curious how Polgara had made all of this food and so quickly.
 
Rin said, “Thank-you, Poledra-sama.”
 
“You're welcome, Rin.” Poledra smiled. “One hopes that you'll enjoy it.”
 
“Rin will.”
 
“He'll become irritable if one doesn't return.” The strange tawny-haired woman turned, preparing to leave. “One will see you tomorrow afternoon, Rin.”
 
Sesshomaru sat down next to Rin. He handed her a plate and some bread. Shippo knew that he would have to wait. However, he found Sesshomaru's behavior fascinating. He had always thought of the Demon Lord as powerful. Shippo never though he'd see him serve another as he did Rin. Sesshomaru offered Rin meat and a small serving of stew. Then, he filled her water cup.
 
The little boy watched, amazed. Sesshomaru had served Rin first, before even himself. Not only had he done so, there had been such tenderness in his actions. He wasn't merely handing the little girl food. It was a physical expression of a deeper emotion, a manifestation of the bond they shared. Again, it seemed that they communicated wordlessly, for Sesshomaru and Rin hadn't spoken once during the exchange.
 
“Boy, serve yourself.”
 
Shippo jumped and bowed. “Yes, Sesshomaru-sensei.”
 
The fox kit noticed that Sesshomaru had served himself already. He approached the tray and picked up a plate. He took some meat and bread, then sat back down. Shippo bit into the roasted meat, tearing it. It tasted so sweet and delicious. He stopped when he caught Sesshomaru's glare. Blushing, Shippo ate slower, making sure to chew with his mouth closed. It seemed that he'd have to relearn all of his habits.
 
The rest of dinner continued in a pleasant silence. Normally, it would unnerve Shippo. The quiet should have felt constricting, but it didn't. For some reason, sitting with Rin and Sesshomaru, it seemed right. Noise would only intrude. This silence wasn't overbearing. Instead, it was companionable. The three of them were sharing a meal, and there were no words needed.
 
Once everyone was finished, Sesshomaru said, “Boy, take our dishes back. Offer your services to the dark haired sorceress to wash the camp dishes. Once that is done, retire for the night. This Sesshomaru will hold your first lesson at dawn tomorrow. Clear?”
 
“Yes, Sesshomaru-sensei.”