Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Seventy Four ( Chapter 74 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Seventy-Four
 
The ceiling groaned and buckled, causing stone to fall. A hunk impacted with Sango's shoulder, making her clutch it in pain. She ducked to avoid other falling debris and ran towards Miroku. She stopped short when a huge stone crashed in front of her. Dust rose up obscuring her view of the room, and she began to cough. Sango fumbled, trying to find her gas mask. Once she found it, she affixed it to her face.
 
The dwarf, who had been the storyteller Feldegast, hurled his wicked hook towards the throne and swore loudly. He snarled, the sound feral. “Come back, you coward! Come back and fight me, you pie bald coward!”
 
The ceiling heaved again, and a vast crack etched across its already fractured surface. A large chunk of rock split free and hurled toward the throne, shattering it. The giant steel mask of Torak behind it sheared in half and fell forward with a resounding clang. Dust clouds burst forth, stinging Sango's eyes.
 
“We've got bigger problems, Beldin,” Velvet called out. “This place is collapsing in on us. We've got to get out of here.”
 
Beldin let loose a string of rancid oaths. He growled, “Fine! Let's go.”
 
Sango peered through the gloom, finding that they were completely cut off from Miroku and Silk. She shouted, “Not without the monk!”
 
“Kheldar got them out, don't worry,” Velvet shouted.
 
Sango held her hiraikotsu over her head to deflect some stone. She gripped its straps tight in her fists and felt them bite deeply into her palms. She barely noticed, her fear for the monk taking providence over everything else. She could see Miroku lying on the floor of the great throne room, crushed by one of the falling rocks from the destroyed ceiling. She called back, “How can you be sure?”
 
“Because Kheldar's the best escape artist I've ever known,” Velvet answered.
 
“We don't have time to argue. Let's get going before it's too late,” Beldin's guttural voice growled. “We'll look for them once we get out of here.”
 
In the wall behind the destroyed throne was a giant hole where the demon Nahaz had made his exit. They crawled into the opening, making their way into a crude tunnel. Sango paused, looking over her shoulder. Worry curled in her stomach. She hoped that Velvet was right about Miroku and Silk making their escape.
 
Behind them, a huge block of stone crashed to the floor, blocking them in and plunging them into utter darkness. Panic began to flood Sango. Not only had she been separated from the monk, now she was trapped underneath tons of rock. Ahead of her, the dwarf sorcerer illuminated their way with a small glowing globe. The path ahead was surprisingly wide. The dwarf's light cast eerie blue shadows on the jagged walls. All they could do now was follow and hopefully find an exit.
 
Sango focused her attention onto Beldin's strange blue light. It kept her mind off of both the heavy rock above and the monk's unknown fate. It bobbed on its own, casting blue shadows on the walls. The longer she stared at it, the more it soothed Sango. There was a gentle rhythm to it as it swayed cheerfully next to the hunchback sorcerer. It was hypnotic.
 
Shifting her gaze, Sango took the opportunity to observe Beldin himself. His blue light cast his hair and beard into a sapphire color. Up until now, he had been nothing more than a charming storyteller. It fascinated Sango that Feldegast and Beldin could be the same person. It also explained why the old sorcerer had deferred to the unusual acrobat in the past.
 
The differences between Feldegast and Beldin were striking. The entertainer's body had been agile and lean. On the other hand, the sorcerer was stocky and disfigured. Gone was the charming baroque of the storyteller, replaced by the gruff tones of the hunchback. The playful and mischievous expression Feldegast had on his face was completely different from Beldin's sour and grim one.
 
Beldin's large arms nearly dragged on the ground as he walked. His gait was lumbering. Under his tattered and patched tunic was an obvious hump that made him appear even larger. There was an unpleasant sour odor about him. Sango resisted the temptation to gag or pluck the stray twigs from Beldin's matted hair.
 
“Have you stared enough yet, little girl?” Beldin's deep voice barked. He scratched an armpit with little delicacy. “Do you stare often at that dog eared boy and pretty boy, too, or do you reserve that for ugly people such as myself?”
 
Sango jumped and felt heat rush into her cheeks. “I---Sorry. It won't happen again.”
 
Beldin snorted, then began to chuckle, the sound like a rough bark. “I highly doubt that, little girl. I'm used to it.”
 
Glancing towards Velvet, Sango caught the blonde woman's amused smile. She said, “Now Beldin, I'd say Sango's far too old to be called a little girl, considering her rather voluptuous figure.” She laughed, the sound musical. “You can't blame her, either. An hour ago, you were Feldegast the acrobat, after all.”
 
Sango blushed furiously, embarrassed by Velvet's description of her body. She was grateful that they were in dim light so they couldn't see. She trained her eyes on the rocky floor, hoping they'd change the subject. With any luck, they would be out of this cave soon.
 
The quiet settled over them, deafening the slayer. The path they followed seemed endless and she wondered if perhaps they had gone in a great circle. With nothing to distract her, Sango found her mind wandering towards Miroku. She squeezed the straps of her hiraikotsu, afraid that he might still be in the throne room, hurt or worse. Nahaz had been after him after all. What if the demon had returned to kill him?
 
Reflecting on the confrontation between Miroku and Nahaz, Sango found that a million questions flooded her mind. Why would Naraku succeed if Miroku and only Miroku died? Why Miroku and not her? It just seemed odd. Nahaz, except when she had interfered, had ignored her. His target from the beginning had been the monk. Why?
 
It just didn't make sense, especially if Nahaz was one of Naraku's incarnations. Naraku's curse on the monk ensured the most sadistic pleasure for the spider. It would take Miroku a long time to die, and Naraku would be his ultimate murderer, not some newly acquired incarnation. Naraku wanted that satisfaction for himself. Sango knew this, considering her own experiences with the dark hanyou. He relished in holding someone's happiness in his palms only to crush it when he wished.
 
It did make sense, however, that Naraku was this Child of Dark. He would be drawn to such a title and any power that came with it. But, who was the Child of Light to stand in opposition to him? Sango couldn't easily arrive at a certain answer. It could be any one of them, including the monk. Could he be the Child of Light, despite Nahaz's claims not to know the identity? It might explain the deliberate targeting of Miroku.
 
At the same time, Nahaz had mentioned a sword for the Child of Dark to fear. Miroku didn't carry a blade. That left, in their group excluding those native to this world, herself, Sesshomaru, and Inuyasha. There were too many variables to determine which one of them could be it, but she eliminated herself, considering she used hiraikotsu first and her blade as backup. That left her with the inu brothers, of which she surmised could be either.
 
All of this thinking was giving her a headache. Her shoulder that had been struck by the stone throbbed as well. So much adrenaline coursed through her when they had been in the battle, but now it flowed out of her. She felt heavy and fatigued. The silence had a lulling effect on her, despite the fact they still hadn't found a way out. The monotonous motion of traveling in the endless tunnel had dulled what frayed nerves she had left.
 
Velvet broke the silence, asking, “Beldin, why don't you tell us a story to pass the time?” Her voice took on a slight nervous edge.
 
“I'm not my brother,” Beldin gruffly replied. “Besides, me stories aren't fer virgin ears, if ye know what I mean, Lady-O.”
 
“Come now, you know I'm no virgin, and I prefer your brand of story,” Velvet replied, laughing softly. It, too, sounded forced.
 
“I wasn't talking about you.”
 
“Oh,” Velvet said, her tone becoming more amused. “You've seen who's courting her, haven't you? I'm sure it's nothing she's heard---or done before. He does seem eager.”
 
Sango fidgeted behind them, uncomfortable. She really didn't want to hear this. Her relationship with Miroku was private, and although she had become increasingly brash with the monk, she knew she certainly wasn't ready for anything that intimate just yet. Right now, she wished they'd talk about anything else.
 
Beldin snorted. “And he's all talk.”
 
Velvet giggled. “Perhaps you're right.” She glanced towards Sango and winked. “I'm sure you wouldn't tell us if he was more than talk, would you, Sango?”
 
Sango bit her lip and shook her head. “You'd have to ask the hentai. I wouldn't know.”
 
“If you say so.”
 
Finally, a light flooded down the tunnel, revealing that they were near the entrance. Maybe they could find Miroku and start making their way back towards camp. She was eager to put as much distance between herself and the horrors of Mal Yaska as soon as possible. Of all the places they had been to thus far in this strange land, it had certainly been the worst.
 
They emerged into a small grove, dusk settling over the area. After being trapped in the dimness under ground with only the sorcerer's light as illumination, the dimness of approaching night seemed sharper. Looking around, Sango hoped to---no expected to---find the monk nonchalantly waiting for her with one of his mischievous smiles, but the grove seemed empty. A worried frown crossed her lips. Where could he be?
 
“Well, now what, Beldin?” Velvet asked.
 
“We look for Kheldar and that monk.” Beldin scratched himself. “The Grolims should be nearing total meltdown right about now, so I'm not too concerned about their interference. It's demons that worry me.” Beldin pointed a finger in Sango's direction. “Besides, they were after her monk, not us.”
 
“My monk?” Sango gasped.
 
“We'll just follow any demon noises. They ought to lead us right to him.” The hunchback belched and wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. “First, however, we're not far from our little camp. Let's gather our stuff and that cat and then start the search.”
 
They moved away from the cave they had just exited and headed towards their hidden camp. They kept close to the trees to remain undercover. In contrast to the chaos they had just escaped, it was quiet and still. Even the bird's lullabies to the passing day were absent. It felt eerie, as if the evil of Mal Yaska had infected the regions surrounding it. It made Sango wary, and she kept her eyes focused on her surroundings.
 
About twenty minutes later, they arrived at their camp. At first there was no sign of Kirara whatsoever. She hadn't emerged to defend the camp in her large form, nor had she greeted them in her kitten. Sango became concerned that something had happened. Then she heard a soft mew followed by an emphatic yawn. Kirara emerged from underneath a discarded blanket, stretching. She then jumped into Sango's arms, nuzzling the slayer under the chin.
 
Sango hugged the fire cat close. She said, teasing, “Some guard cat you are.”
 
Kirara meowed in protest.
 
“Okay, so you knew it was us.” Sango scratched between her ears, and Kirara purred.
 
Beldin said, “I'm going to scout the direction we should take. Pack up and we'll be on our way when I get back.”
 
“Alright, Beldin,” Velvet answered.
 
Beldin stepped away from them. A soft blue nimbus flickered around the dwarf sorcerer, and the image of a hawk imposed over him. Sango blinked her eyes in disbelief. In an instant, there was a large, blue-banded hawk in the dwarf's place. It gave a piercing cry, extended its great wings, and launched into the air. Sango stared, awestruck as the great bird spiraled above, before flying north and out of sight. She marveled at how many forms this sorcerer had.
 
“Uh, Sango, a little help here,” Velvet said, breaking her from her thoughts.
 
Sango shook her head and looked down. Velvet struggled to untie one of the tent stakes. Placing Kirara down gently, Sango knelt next to the blonde and began to work the knot loose. “I'll get it. Pack up the rest, alright, Liselle?”
 
“Alright.” Velvet nodded and started to roll up sleeping mats. She tied them tight to prevent them from falling back open, then tethered them to the pack horse. Next, the small blonde started folding extra clothes. She folded a dress and tucked it into a pack, then did the same with some shirts. Velvet kept her head bowed, her honey colored hair obscuring her face. She remained silent as she completed her tasks.
 
Sango worked the knot out and moved onto the next stake. She worked her way around one tent and then the other. Once all of the tent ropes had been undone, Sango started to pull the tarp off and rolled it up. She tied the ropes around it, then pulled the poles and stakes from the ground. Once that was done, Sango tied a tent to the pack horse.
 
Kirara wove around Sango's legs and rubbed against her, all the while purring. Sango reached down and scratched the fire cat between the ears. Kirara rubbed her hand and meowed softly, her red eyes trained on her mistress. Sango laughed softly, whispering, “I missed you, too, Kirara.”
 
Sango returned to the other tent, taking its tarp off and rolled it up as well. She bent to grab the discarded ropes to tether it when a soft sob disturbed the quiet. Sango stopped and glanced over her shoulder at Velvet. The petite blonde clutched a tunic to her chest and buried her face in it as she cried. Her shoulders shook slightly, evidence that she was trying to hold in her emotional outburst.
 
“Liselle? Are you alright?” Sango put the tarp back down and moved to sit with the distressed woman.
 
Velvet shook her head. She whispered, “I'm so worried about Kheldar.”
 
Sango frowned. “You said yourself that he's the best escape artist. He should be fine.”
 
“What if he had to go through a cave like we did?” Velvet squeezed her hands around the tunic. “He's so afraid of caves.”
 
“Then the monk will help him stay calm,” Sango said. Worry curled in her stomach. She pushed it aside to comfort the upset blonde and put her arm around her. “I'm sure he'll be fine.”
 
“You don't understand.” Velvet pulled away, rocking herself as she clutched the tunic so tight her knuckles turned white. “Kheldar panics in caves.”
 
Sango's brows furrowed. “Why? What happened? I'd think a cave would work to his advantage.”
 
“The crazy king of Cthol Murgos, Taur Urgas, held him in a cave that he couldn't escape after he got caught once. Kheldar was traveling with Belgarath to retrieve the Orb back at the time. They had to go into Cthol Murgos to do it, and Taur Urgas had been after him for years for killing his eldest son in the midst of a skirmish. It was quite by accident that Kheldar ended up getting caught. He was put into a pit, in holding for execution.” Velvet buried her face into the rumpled shirt and began to sob again. “Kheldar's never gotten over it. He still has nightmares sometimes.”
 
“I don't understand. He must have escaped.”
 
“Yes. He did. Relg, an Ulgo diviner had to help him.” Velvet took a shaky breath. “Relg can walk through solid rock. He pulled Kheldar through the rock to save him. The experience has haunted him ever since.” She turned and threw her arms around Sango's neck and wept. “What if Kheldar has to go through another cave? What if he panics and he gets caught? They'll sacrifice him.”
 
Sango threaded her fingers through the petite blonde's hair, trying to comfort her. She didn't know what to say. There really wasn't anything she could say that would relieve Velvet's fears. She looked up, silently praying that the monk and spy had made it out safely. Sango whispered, mostly to convince herself, “We'll find them. They made it out. I know they did.”
 
They sat in silence as Velvet softly sobbed. Eventually her sobs tapered off and stopped. The small blonde kept her head rested on Sango's shoulders and her arms loosely wrapped around her torso. Velvet took several shuddering breaths as she struggled to regain her composure. She tucked her face into the crook of Sango's neck and sighed.
 
The demon slayer continued to rub her back in gentle circles. Words weren't necessary. They were useless. She hadn't known this woman for very long, but it was clear how much she loved her husband. Velvet's emotional breakdown illustrated it so profoundly. She wondered if she would ever feel that strongly about another. Sango realized the heartsickness she felt about Miroku meant that she already did.
 
Velvet sighed softly and sat up. She brushed some tears away and said, “I know it's silly to get this upset about Kheldar, especially since he's one of the best at escaping sticky situations, but I can't help it.”
 
“It's not silly,” Sango replied. “Considering his fear, it's justified.
 
“Everybody sees Kheldar as the perfect spy,” Velvet said. She paused and looked down, fingering her dress. “But he's so much more than that. He's not just Silk. Not to me. I know the real Kheldar that no one else does.”
 
Sango shifted, listening intently. Kirara settled into her now free lap, purring contentedly. The demon slayer absentmindedly stroked the fire cat's head. “I can believe that. You're his wife.”
 
The small blonde laughed softly, the sound melodic. “Kheldar claims that he doesn't even know who he really is.” Velvet shook her head. “No, most people think of Kheldar as Silk, the best spy the Drasnian Academy has ever produced. They devote classes to his techniques.” She smiled. “He gets such an ego about that sometimes.”
 
Sango snorted. “Sounds like someone else I know.”
 
“Others know him as Radek of Boktor or Ambar of Kotu.” Velvet tucked some hair behind an ear. “He really is a master at disguise and can create great aliases. I know everyone else has tried, but no one has come close to duplicating it. But still, that's not the real Kheldar, either.”
 
The demon slayer shuddered. Sango laughed softly. “Heaven help us if the monk learns how to create disguises. His fake exorcisms are bad enough.”
 
“Then you might want to keep him away from Kheldar,” Velvet replied, her tone amused. She shook her head. “No, what Kheldar loves is the game. He's not really the affluent, well-dressed Radek any more than he's the poor vagabond with little luck Ambar, depending which character is supposed to be doing well or not. He has some of those things, but he's still not really them.”
 
“I remember him using one of those roles awhile back,” Sango said.
 
“Yes. I heard it was with some villagers blockading the roads on the way to Mal Zeth.” Velvet sighed. “Sometimes I think he enjoys it too much.”
 
There was a momentary silence as Velvet paused. Sango thought about Miroku and his similar techniques to get into the nicest home in any village. His fake exorcisms and somber attitude while lying about dark and ominous auras always seemed to successfully fool his intended target. The behavior tended to bother and disgust Sango, but she still understood why he did it. Perhaps the monk simply enjoyed the game of bluffing others.
 
“When Kheldar and I began courting one another, no one believed we'd ever get married. I wasn't even sure, but I was determined,” Velvet said. “I knew that he had a reputation, and that he was a notorious bachelor dead set against marriage. Others warned me that it was futile, but I just couldn't resist the challenge.”
 
Sango sighed. “I think I'm experiencing that.”
 
Velvet winked, a small smile gracing her lips, hinting at her dimples. “You'll succeed---but only if you really want it.” She tucked some blonde strands behind an ear. “I still think some people are amazed that we're still married. I know Kheldar is sometimes.”
 
Sango scratched Kirara behind the ears, earning her a hearty purr. She said, “I don't find it surprising. He seems happy.”
 
“Yes. I'd certainly hope so.” Velvet smiled wide, her dimples appearing at the corners of her mouth. “I think most people would be even more amazed that the cynical Kheldar is perhaps the most romantic man I've ever known.”
 
“Oh?” Sango felt a slight blush coat her cheeks, considering the topic was becoming increasingly intimate. Yet, having never partook in such a feminine discussion as this, not even with Kagome, she couldn't help but be fascinated. The demon slayer had overheard other women talking about such things, but she was always on the outside. She asked, “He is?”
 
“Oh my, yes.” The blonde woman laughed. “I think he enjoys it because it's another game. He likes to think he's surprising me with these grand romantic gestures, but I always find out ahead of time. I'm a spy, too, you know.” Velvet winked. “The trick is to not let them know that you're on to them.”
 
“What does he do?”
 
“He likes to set up special private dinners, often with my favorite foods.” There was a sparkle in Velvet's eyes. “Kheldar loves surprising me with gifts as well, usually the best he can win in a dice game or a good negotiation.”
 
She pulled a small dagger from underneath her dress collar. The hilt was encrusted with white diamonds and tear drop emeralds. Velvet held it out to Sango to look at. The demon slayer accepted it, gently running her thumb along the blade edge. It was well made, the steel strong. Despite its ornate decorations, the dagger was intended for use.
 
“This is extremely well made.”
 
“He got it for me when we were in Mal Rakuth. Kheldar said he managed to talk the shopkeeper into paying half price for it.” Velvet sighed. “I don't think he's buying things for me to be purely romantic, but it's nice nonetheless.”
 
Sango stopped examining the blade, her eyes wide. Then they narrowed in ire. She thought about the private night cap she had shared with the monk while in Mal Rakuth. He had surprised her with tea and rice balls. Then she remembered the sheath the monk had given her for her father's dagger. It made sense now. He hadn't come up with these things on his own. The monk had been playing her for a fool.
 
“Did you say he likes to set up special dinners and give you surprise gifts?”
 
“Yes. Why?” Velvet took her dagger back.
 
“Because up until now, the monk has never done anything like that, and suddenly he is.”
 
Velvet blinked, then started laughing. “Oh dear. Kheldar has been coaching Miroku for some time now.”
 
“He's been what?” Sango clenched her hands into fists, a furious blush covering her cheeks. She didn't like having their private affairs shared with anyone. Her outburst disturbed a comfortable Kirara, who meowed in protest and stomped away.
 
“It's a good thing, Sango. He must really love you if he's willing to change his behavior,” Velvet said, a serious expression crossing her face. “I can tell that he's never courted anyone before you, and that he wants to get it right.”
 
“Never courted anyone?” Sango snorted. “He asks every female we meet to bear his child and gropes them relentlessly.”
 
“Yes, but that's flirting. Bad flirting, but flirting nonetheless. That's extremely different from a serious courtship,” Velvet said. “When was the last time Miroku behaved like a lecher?”
 
Sango frowned, thinking. So much had happened since their arrival in this strange world. She ran through the events and realized that since their stay in the palace at Mal Zeth that the monk hadn't really flirted in his usual manner at all. All of his attention had been solely focused on her.
 
Sputtering, Sango said, “That doesn't matter. That lecher is still a hentai.”
 
“So he hasn't behaved in that way for some time then.” A knowing smile crossed Velvet's lips. “Oh my, he has fallen hard, hasn't he?”
 
Sango blushed a darker shade, thoroughly embarrassed. “I wouldn't know.”
 
“Come now. You do.” Velvet shook her head. “He wouldn't have gotten that sheath for that dagger if he didn't feel that strongly about you. Trust me on this, Sango. A man does not get a woman a gift like that if they're not in love. They get a generic gift hoping to impress her so they can bed her without any commitment.”
 
“How---do you know about that?”
 
“I'm known as Velvet for a reason, after all.” Velvet winked. “Don't worry. You're lucky. He's extremely handsome and smart---and despite a few bad habits, completely devoted to you.”
 
Sango folded her hands in her lap and looked down. She didn't know what to say. She had been in such denial for so long. Sango had been afraid to admit her true feelings or acknowledge the monk's that she had missed all the signs. She didn't know if she should be more embarrassed that others had been aware of their budding relationship or that she hadn't realized what the monk really felt sooner. She felt such chagrin that it had been so obvious to someone else.
 
“Don't be embarrassed. Believe it or not, Kheldar was the one embarrassed about our courtship.” Velvet shook her head. “Now I'm not sure if I should be jealous of our son.”
 
“You have a son?” Sango looked up, glad to have the focus off of her.
 
“Oh yes. He was born a year after Kheldar's uncle died, hence his name.” Velvet shook her head and laughed. “He looks nothing like his namesake. Rhodar was a rather obese man. Our Rhodar looks just like his father---except that he's blonde like me instead of brunette like Kheldar.”
 
“How old?”
 
“Two years.” Velvet sighed. “You should see Kheldar play with Rhodar. Even at this early age he's been teaching him the Drasnian Industry. Poor Rhodar has the face of a spy, so he'll have to rely purely on skill. I know his father will teach him everything he knows.”
 
“I'm sure he will.”
 
“Kheldar lets that boy get away with something I used to do when I was a little girl.”
 
Sango frowned. “How so?”
 
“Kheldar's about a decade or so older than I. I pulled on his nose, and he chided me, but when Rhodar does it, he turns to mush. I suppose it's because I was twelve when I did it, and not two. I'm ever grateful that we did not have a girl, considering how much our boy has his father wrapped around his finger.”
 
“I bet he does.”
 
Sango looked up, realizing that the sun was almost set. She wondered how much longer Beldin would be. The demon slayer wanted to find Miroku. Now that it seemed they had run out of things to talk about, all they could do was wait. She hated it, especially when she didn't know the monk's fate. She was thankful for Velvet's distraction, knowing that it had helped her as well.
 
The crunch of boots drew their attention. Sango almost expected to see the monk when she looked over. Instead, she found the misshapen dwarf sorcerer. He glared down at them as he spit. “Are you two hens done clucking yet? Every Grolim in Ancient Mallorea could probably hear you.”
 
“Now, now. We were just passing the time, Beldin. There's no reason to be so surly.” Velvet stood, packing the final items. “Do you have a direction, then?”
 
“Of course.” Beldin snorted. “Let's hide our things in a new location and start searching. I'd like to get back to Belgarath in time for my little sister's birthday, so no more dawdling.”
 
“Alright.” Velvet untied the horses. “Which direction are they in?”
 
“Northwest. The demons are certainly drawn that way. With all the noise they're making, anyone with any talent in this hemisphere ought to be deaf by now. That works to our advantage.” Beldin belched. “Let's go then.”
 
Sango frowned. Who was his little sister? She knew that she didn't really know anyone's birthday from this world, so she was at a loss. The only upcoming birthday was Rin's. It couldn't have been hers. Rin wasn't Beldin's little sister. She was an orphan under Sesshomaru's care. So, who was it, then?
 
“We won't have to go far. I just don't want to keep our things in the open any longer when there's a good cave nearby,” Beldin said, his gruff voice breaking into her thoughts.
 
They followed Beldin, Velvet and Sango leading a pair of horses each. The dwarf lead a pair as well. They kept to the trees, making sure to remain covered. Regardless of the palace collapse back in Mal Yaska, they didn't want to incur any unnecessary confrontations. Sango focused on keeping her horses under control. Kirara rode on her shoulder, watching silently.
 
Under some brush was a cave opening. Beldin stopped, pushing it aside. He led one pack horse in. “Tie the other pack horses inside and we'll be on our way. It'll have to do for now.”
 
Velvet led her stubborn pack horse inside. She tugged on the reins, trying to coax it. Finally, she placed blinders over its eyes. The small blonde muttered, “Fine, be that way.”
 
Once the pack horses were inside, Beldin looked around. “We'll go this way.” A stern expression crossed his face. “First, there will be some rules.”
 
Sango felt antsy as time pressed forward. The longer they waited, the worse it could become for Miroku. She feared that they might arrive too late. Knowing the monk as she did, Sango worried that he would use his Wind Tunnel. She wasn't sure what trap Naraku had attached to the demons pursuing him. If he sucked one into his void, would it make it grow larger? Would he become poisoned? So many dark thoughts filled her mind.
 
“First of all, there will be no fighting demons. Unless you're a God in disguise, don't. I can't win against one, and neither can you,” Beldin said. “These demons are controlled directly by Nahaz, therefore they'll be that much more focused on killing you. So, just don't get into a fight. Understood?”
 
“Of course,” Velvet nodded, agreeing instantly. “I wouldn't dream of it.”
 
“Good.” The hunchback sorcerer glared at Sango when she didn't answer. He cleared his throat to get her attention. “That goes for you, too, demon slayer. Am I being clear?”
 
Sango jumped, nodding. “Yes. Absolutely. I understand.”
 
“Good.” Beldin sighed. “Well, let's go. Just so you know, I'm going to fly. I can cover ground much better that way.”
 
“Alright.” Velvet turned, adjusting the saddle on her mount.
 
Sango bit her lip. She was beginning to lose her patience. There was no time for a horse. Horses would just get in the way. Miroku's life was in danger. The demon slayer said, her words rushed, “We'll fly, too.”
 
Beldin frowned. He crossed his huge arms and growled, “Just how do you plan on accomplishing that, little girl? Last I heard, you were not gifted with the Will and the Word.”
 
“Kirara can fly and easily carry two.”
 
The dwarf sorcerer's eyes narrowed in disbelief. “Isn't she a little small for that?”
 
“No.”
 
Kirara jumped down from her perch on Sango's shoulder. She padded a few feet a way from the horses so not to startle them with her transformation. The fire cat stretched, yawning. Slowly, the fire cat began to grow. Her body became longer and her stance taller. When her transformation was complete, a giant cat stood before them, her twin tails swishing behind her. Kirara yawned, revealing her saber-sized fangs. She stepped forward, her large paws making no sound.
 
Velvet gasped, her eyes wide. She took a step back and bit her lip in a nervous gesture. “You weren't lying when you said she was large enough for you and Miroku to ride. You never said she could fly.”
 
Sango moved to stand by Kirara, scratching her between the ears. She laughed softly. “Kirara won't hurt you, Velvet. Come on, give her a little pet.”
 
Velvet hesitantly stepped forward, her hands clenched into fists at her sides. She reached out slow, only to pull back. The small blonde bit her lip, her expression wary. She tentatively lifted her hand, brushing her finger tips across the fire cat's fur. “She's so soft.”
 
Kirara nuzzled Velvet's hand, purring loudly. Velvet laughed softly, rubbing the fire cat's ears. She closed her eyes, leaning into the touch. Her purrs rumbled from deep in her chest. Velvet began to scratch Kirara under the chin. After her initial fear, the small blonde seemed to be warming up to the cat. Kirara gently rubbed her head against Velvet's shoulders, earning more soft laughter.
 
“I think she likes you,” Sango said.
 
Beldin approached Kirara, circling her. He appraised her, a large hand rubbing his chin. “Impressive. But only if she can keep up.”
 
The fire cat growled softly, the sound indignant.
 
Velvet stopped petting Kirara, her eyes wide. “Are---are you sure it's safe to ride her?”
 
“Absolutely. I've been riding her since I was a child.” Sango rubbed Kirara under her chin. The demon slayer launched up onto her back, adjusting hiraikotsu on her shoulder. “Get behind me. There's room.”
 
Velvet eyed them, her expression dubious. Kirara gently butted her head against the blonde's shoulder. She turned slowly and lowered to the ground, offering her back. Kirara meowed softly, the vocalization commanding.
 
The petite woman hesitantly climbed on her back, gripping Sango tightly around her waist. Her breath hitched in her throat. “This had better be safe.”
 
“It is. Don't worry. Kirara won't drop you.”
 
Beldin snorted. He disappeared into the cave, tying the two remaining horses inside. He exited out again, glaring at them. “Follow me, then. We've wasted too much time already.”
 
Before either of them could respond, the dwarf sorcerer blurred, the hawk blending with him. Once his transformation was complete, he launched himself into the air, circling above. He gave a piercing cry before flying to the northwest. The large bird soared easily, climbing higher and higher into the sky.
 
Kirara bunched her muscles underneath them and launched into the air, taking flight. She followed the bird, gliding effortlessly. Velvet cried out in surprise, burying her face into Sango's hiraikotsu. The demon slayer laughed softly. How she had missed riding the fire cat. There was such freedom in flight. The air rushed past them, caressing Sango's cheeks. This was natural.
 
“This isn't natural,” Velvet shouted, her voice trembling.
 
“Funny, I was thinking the opposite.”
 
Sango peered down, scanning the terrain below. It would be much easier to spot the monk from these heights. So far, amongst the shadows, all she saw was trees and brush. Sango hoped that Beldin had found the right direction. As nightfall descended, the search would only get harder.
 
“Don't look down!” Velvet cried. “Oh—I think I'm going to be sick.”
 
“Relax. Kirara would never drop us. You'll be fine if you take a deep breath.”
 
Up ahead, the hawk continued its steady flight. He drifted from thermal to thermal, leading them towards the sounds of bellowing demons. The inhuman rage expressed sent chills up her spine, and Sango wanted nothing more than to reach Miroku before something could happen. There were frustrated roars, indicating that there was more than one demon out there. Sango gripped Kirara's fur tightly, silently urging the feline to fly faster. The demons howls in the night made her hair stand up on end, the visions of them slaughtering Miroku before her eyes.
 
The hawk before them began to circle lower and lower in the sky, descending to the ground. Sango frowned, uncertain as to what Beldin was doing. She knew his eyes had to be sharper than hers. Perhaps he had spotted Miroku and Kheldar? Squeezing her thighs gently, Sango guided Kirara to follow. Slowly, the fire cat drifted down to the ground.
 
Once they landed, they found the gnarled sorcerer waiting. He had an irritated scowl on his disfigured face. His arms were crossed and he grunted. Beldin said, his gruff voice brokering no argument, “We'll make camp here for the night.”
 
Sango blinked, then frowned. She slid from Kirara's back, staring at him with an incredulous expression. “What? We can't just stop looking now. We're close. I can hear demons.”
 
Beldin gave her a pointed glare. “I don't think so, little girl. Not in this darkness.”
 
The demon slayer clenched her hands into fists. She stomped to stand nearly face to face with the dwarf sorcerer. “I am not a little girl. We have to find the monk.”
 
Beldin shook his head, then started to laugh. The barking sound of it grated on Sango's frayed nerves. “Little girl, I'm over six-thousand years old. I'll call you anything I like.” He straightened to his full height, his large body towering over her. “You should be aware, of all people, that a demon's power increases with darkness. With this quarter moon before the new moon, you'd be foolish to keep searching in the open.
 
Sango grit her teeth together. She didn't care how old Beldin was. She didn't care if he thought her ignorant about demons. Another demonic roar filled the night, chilling Sango's blood. She asked, “So, what about the monk, then? He's out there, too.”
 
“I'm not worried.” Beldin snorted.
 
The sound of soft footsteps reached the slayer's ears as Velvet dismounted from Kirara's back. She asked, her voice soft, “Beldin, how can you not be worried? You said yourself that no one can win against a demon.”
 
Sango adjusted hiraikotsu on her back. “I'll go find him myself, then. I can follow the demons from here.”
 
“I don't know about the demons in your world, but the ones in mine don't just kill you. They don't just devour you. They can drag your very soul to the depths of Hell. Tell me, little girl, how would it help your monk if you ended up a demon's snack or if your soul was dragged to Hell?” Beldin whispered, his deep voice foreboding.
 
Sango sputtered and turned away, too angry to answer. She didn't want to admit that he was right. Despite her skills at fighting demons, she knew too little to be effective in a fight against the ones in this world. She didn't know which weapon would work or how best to kill them. If she faced one right now, it's possible she would end up as Beldin suggested---dead or worse. Worry boiled in her stomach and her body hummed with anxiety. She clenched her fists at her side, trying to keep herself from shouting in rage.
 
Beldin's gruff voice softened as he answered Velvet's question, “Because Nahaz failed in his task.” He sighed. “Demons are usually the agents of chaos, but then in a way so is the Child of Dark. Nahaz is now part of the Prophecy, simply by becoming Naraku's incarnation. He had one task and one task only. Kill the monk. He failed.”
 
Sango turned, her eyes wide. She narrowed them in fury. “Knowing that was possible, you took him into the city anyways?”
 
“I had to. It was part of our tasks.” Beldin rubbed his dirty matted beard. “You had to save the monk. Once that happened, Miroku became invincible to Nahaz and his minions. They're out there, as you've heard, tracking him on Nahaz's order. The scales tipped in our favor once you pushed him out of the way.”
 
“How can you be so sure?”
 
“I've been doing this a long time, little girl.” A wicked smile crossed his grotesque face. “We completed all of our assigned tasks. We were supposed to destroy the seat of the Malloreon Church. We did---and I can't say I'm feeling any sympathy for the Grolims. They're probably turning their knives on one another right now.”
 
Velvet sighed, the sound resigned. “I'll take you at your word, Beldin.”
 
“And you just decided not to tell us any of this,” Sango said, her voice a furious hiss.
 
“If I had, you'd have over analyzed everything and made a mistake. You had to act naturally.” Beldin's expression became grim. “If it's any consolation, I was nervous. Demons are impossible to predict. If Nahaz had decided to choose any one else, other than your monk, to target, it's very possible that the Child of Dark would win the upcoming EVENT by default. Or worse. Both prophecies could have been rendered null and void. We were lucky Nahaz stuck to the plan, threatening your monk so we could have a chance.”
 
“He's not mine,” Sango snarled through gritted teeth.
 
Stomping away, the demon slayer felt the need to be alone. This sorcerer didn't know her. He didn't know the monk. The hunchback infuriated her. She had never asked to be involved in this strange Prophecy. Dealing with Naraku alone had been more than enough. Right now, however, all Sango wanted to do was find the monk, but it seemed everyone and everything stood in her way. She also knew, begrudgingly, that Beldin was right. To go alone in unknown territory was tantamount to suicide.
 
“Sango?” Velvet called after her in the darkness.
 
“Leave her be,” Beldin said gently.
 
Sango continued, seething. She stepped behind a boulder, leaning against it. Staring off into the darkness, the demon slayer wondered where the monk could be. What was he doing? Tears stung her eyes as images of a mortally wounded Miroku filled her mind. Fury curled through her. As afraid as Sango was for the monk, she couldn't help but be angry that he had allowed himself to be separated from her.
 
“How could you do this to me, monk?” Sango whispered softly.
 
Sliding her father's knife from her ankle, Sango looked at it. She removed the holster, running her finger against the fine leather. Clutching it tightly in her fist, she bit her lip to hold in her sobs. This was all Sango had from the monk. It only gave her resolve to find him.
 
Soft footsteps neared and Sango turned to find Kirara. She stepped closer, gently rubbing her head against Sango's shoulder. The demon slayer gently stroked Kirara's fur before embracing her around the neck. Soft purrs rumbled from deep inside the fire cat's chest. The sound comforted Sango, soothing her frayed nerves. It was just what she needed to give her the patience to wait out the night.
 
Sango whispered into Kirara's fur, “Thank-you, Kirara.”