Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Seventy Six ( Chapter 76 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Check my livejournal at farawayeyes4 for news, review responses, and more.
 
Chapter Seventy-Six
 
Silence settled comfortably between them once the fox kit cleared the dishes. Sesshomaru sighed softly and rested his cheek against the softness of Rin's hair. His eyes closed, relishing in this private moment with the little girl. The Demon Lord gently kissed her temple and nuzzled his nose against her hair. How he had needed this after the trying events of the day. Of all the activities Sesshomaru could partake in, relaxing with Rin, his Rin, was certainly the most rewarding. Sitting with her petite frame tucked against his never failed to soothe his frayed nerves.
 
You're welcome, Sesshomaru-sama,” the little girl's soft voice echoed in his mind.
 
Sesshomaru smiled, burying his nose further into her hair. He inhaled deeply, drinking in her clean and flowery scent. Gently, the Demon Lord threaded his fingers through the silken strands. He whispered playfully in return, “This Sesshomaru hasn't said anything, Rin.”
 
Rin knows, but thought she'd say it anyway.” Rin settled back against his chest and sighed. “Rin should walk some more, but she's too comfortable.”
 
Chuckling softly, Sesshomaru brushed his nose against her small round ear. “This Sesshomaru agrees as he, too, is comfortable.” He sighed, his lips pursing into a small pout. “However, you should walk if that ankle is to recover.”
 
Just a bit more.” Rin snorted. Her arm hugged his, holding it tightly about her waist. “Please, Sesshomaru-sama?”
 
The Demon Lord gently squeezed his arm in return, unable to deny her request. Amusement filled him at her insistence. Sesshomaru playfully brushed his nose against her other ear, a rich deep laugh escaping his throat. He whispered mischievously, “Only for a few more minutes, Rin.”
 
Are you teasing Rin, Sesshomaru-sama?” Rin chided him, her tone equally playfully. “That's not very nice of you.”
 
This Sesshomaru tease?” The Demon Lord feigned indignation. “Never.”
 
Rin giggled softly, twisting to look at him. A small smile graced her face and she had an upturned eyebrow. She said aloud, “If you say so, Sesshomaru-sama. Rin knows better, though.”
 
Sesshomaru leaned down, touching his nose to hers. He laughed softly, the sound warm. He whispered, “This Sesshomaru cannot fool Rin.”
 
Rin smiled wide, her dimples appearing at the corners of her mouth. She reached up, gently running a fingertip over one of his stripes. “Rin's happy to hear you laugh, Sesshomaru-sama.” The little girl looked down. She whispered, “You should do it more often.”
 
“Didn't we have a similar conversation about laughter once before?” Sesshomaru titled her head up with a clawed finger. “For you, this Sesshomaru will try and laugh more often, Rin.”
 
Rin smiled wide and kissed his cheek. “Thank-you, Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
The little girl turned back around and settled against his chest, her head resting on his shoulder. She sighed softly, glancing up towards the clouds. Sesshomaru followed suit, partaking in the sunset. Soft rose dusted the sky above the tree line. It blended into a pale lavender before fading into a rich blue. Once the sun went down, it would be black, with no moon to provide soft platinum light.
 
Sesshomaru sighed. After his experience with Inuyasha's human night, he was looking forward to the quiet of not being involved. The Demon Lord had seen more than enough of his share of Inuyasha's mood swings while mortal. He figured that his little brother would much prefer the company of his mate over that of his elder brother. Considering their traveling party's size and make, the Demon Lord surmised that anyone who dared to attack would be foolish. Tonight, he would relax with Rin and let tomorrow take care of itself.
 
The Demon Lord rested his cheek against her hair and sighed. He let his eyes flutter shut, listening to the hushed sounds of the waning day. Sorrowful warbles of the mourning dove filled the clearing. Sesshomaru idly wondered what they were singing about. Birdsong had been nonsensical and inconsequential before Rin had acquired her gift. Now, the Demon Lord was acutely aware of it. He picked out with his sensitive ears soft hoots of owls and sleepy trills of various songbirds. He wondered if it sounded like endless babbling to the little girl.
 
Turning his focus closer, Sesshomaru began to filter everything out save Rin's heartbeat. He focused on its steady and strong pulse. Its gentle rhythm soothed the Demon Lord, lulling him. He could hear her blood flow through her body, rushing with each cadence. Sesshomaru's breathing slowed, eventually synchronizing with it. He felt as if he could indulge in this forever. Sighing, he felt his mind drift until all that remained was Rin's unwavering heartbeat.
 
You're going to start Shippo-kun's lessons tomorrow, Sesshomaru-sama?” Rin's question brushed across his mind, breaking his meditation of her heartbeat.
 
Yes, Rin.”
 
Don't be too hard on Shippo-kun, Sesshomaru-sama.” Rin shifted, relaxing further against his chest. “He wants to learn. Rin can tell. Please, give him a chance, the way Poledra-sama gave Rin.”
 
Sesshomaru snorted. He wasn't about to tell her that she had never misbehaved as badly as the boy had. “This Sesshomaru promises not to be unduly harsh with the boy. We shall see about his desire to learn, however.” The Demon Lord slowly extracted himself from the little girl. “Come Rin. You should walk some more.”
 
Thank-you, Sesshomaru-sama.” Rin nodded, holding a hand up. “Help Rin up, please?”
 
The Demon Lord gently gripped the little girl's outstretched hand and pulled. Rin stood on unsteady legs and clutched at the front of his haori to stabilize herself. Sesshomaru slid his arm about her waist, supporting her. She let go and looked down, her hair falling into her face, hiding it from view. A hint of concern curled through the Demon Lord that the little girl might be nervous or afraid of upsetting him for grasping his clothing.
 
Rin looked up, tucking some dark strands behind an ear. She smiled wide, her dimples ghosting at the corners of her mouth. She laughed softly, a musical lilt to it. “Sorry, Sesshomaru-sama. Rin's leg went numb.”
 
Sesshomaru shook his head. He was glad to see that Rin wasn't guilty or anxious about displeasing him, after all. Perhaps she had taken the wolf-woman's words to heart. It was a start anyways. He smiled at her, running the back of his hand against her cheek. “No apology necessary, Rin.”
 
“Rin knows.”
 
Sesshomaru moved to stand at her side, his arm about her waist. He inclined his head, indicating that she could start when ready. The little girl took a couple shaky steps, wincing as she put weight on the injured ankle. She slowly made a circle, the Demon Lord gently guiding her. The more steps Rin took, the less she grimaced.
 
Sesshomaru pulled away from her, careful not to trip her. He kept his attention focused upon her wrapped ankle. Gradually, Rin's hesitant steps gained confidence. Over time, she walked faster, her slight limp becoming less noticeable. That didn't mean, however, that some steps were no longer ginger. Rin would stop momentarily every few paces, gasping.
 
“Rin's okay, Sesshomaru-sama,” Rin said, her teeth clenched. “She just stepped on a rock. It's not as sore anymore.”
 
Sesshomaru nodded and pursed his lips. He came to a decision and moved to her side. Given her progress and lessening pain, he thought it would be good to go for a short walk. The Demon Lord offered his arm to the little girl. He smiled slightly when Rin's brows furrowed in confusion. “This Sesshomaru thought that perhaps you would like to walk in the grove some, Rin?”
 
Rin would like that.” Rin smiled wide, accepting his arm.
 
They entered the small grove, walking at a leisurely pace to accommodate Rin. The little girl shuffled next to him, clutching his elbow. As they passed underneath the canopy of trees, soft bird song greeted them. Rin glanced towards the source of the melody, the Demon Lord following suit. With his sharp eyes, he could spot birds nesting down for the night. The little girl began to hum softly, her lilting voice harmonizing with the birds.
 
She held up her hand, and a small gray-green bird landed on her outstretched fingers, trilling merrily. Its red eyes focused on her as it sang, its melodic phrase concluding in an upswing, as if to ask Rin a question. The little girl laughed softly and shook her head. Sesshomaru wondered what it may have asked. Despite its unusualness, the Demon Lord was becoming accustomed to birds engaging Rin in conversation. He quirked an eyebrow in the small bird's direction when it warbled again, the song ending on a downturn, appearing to answer its own earlier question.
 
“No. Rin can't fly,” Rin replied to the songbird. “She hurt her foot and is trying to recover.”
 
So the bird had wanted to know if the little girl could fly. Somehow, that didn't surprise the Demon Lord. It seemed to him that birds were exceedingly preoccupied with flight. Every time they encountered some, they either asked Rin if she could or mentioned it somehow. Sesshomaru had the impression that birds believed everyone could fly. They always seemed surprised when Rin said she couldn't. Even if he couldn't understand their songs, he could deduce that much.
 
Sesshomaru did have to agree on some level with the birds. There was an extreme sense of freedom in flight. Gliding effortlessly had a cathartic effect. One's troubles faded when one soared. Although the Demon Lord rarely had a chance to engage in it lately, he did throughly enjoy it. He supposed he understood the bird's obsession.
 
There was an oddity, however, that Sesshomaru noticed. It seemed that Rin attracted only songbirds. The Demon Lord couldn't recall a hawk or eagle visiting the little girl. Falcon nor owl never landed to call on Rin. Excluding the wolf-woman, he had never seen a bird of prey interact with Rin. Perhaps her gentle nature deterred them.
 
The little bird trilled again, and Rin giggled softly. She shook her head. “Rin will be fine as long as she walks slowly for awhile.”
 
Sesshomaru glanced towards the gray-green bird and snorted. All of its attention was focused on the little girl. Conversely, all of Rin's attention had shifted from him to the bird. Sesshomaru wished that he could understand their conversation. The Demon Lord felt excluded, that he was on the fringe. That did not mean, however, that he was jealous. It was just a bird, after all.
 
The bird sang again, the unusual questioning returning to its song. Rin shook her head again. The little girl gently squeezed Sesshomaru's elbow as she replied, “Rin's in no danger. She has Sesshomaru-sama to protect her. He wouldn't let her get hurt.”
 
The Demon Lord tilted his head to one side slightly, a thin eyebrow raised. So the bird had been concerned for Rin's safety. A bemused expression crossed his face, and he whispered, “Interesting.”
 
“You can tell the other birds that Rin will be alright, and not to worry about her.” The little girl smiled, holding her finger up closer. “Thank-you for your concern about Rin. It means a lot to her. You better get back to your babies before it gets dark, though.”
 
The bird dipped its head, as if bowing. It sang a few more exuberant trills, hopping on Rin's finger. It regarded the Demon Lord with its red eyes, singing directly to him. Sesshomaru didn't need Rin to translate. He could tell that the bird had told him to keep her safe. The corner of his mouth turned up in a half-smile. He didn't need to be told that. The small songbird launched off of Rin's finger and flew away, leaving them alone again.
 
The little girl sighed and leaned her head onto his shoulder as they continued. Rin still limped slightly, but she hadn't winced for quite sometime. They passed under the canopy of the trees, blue twilight casting shadows. A peaceful hush settled between them and Sesshomaru unlinked their arms to slide his around her petite waist. The Demon Lord found the silence soothing, preferring it to the warbles of the songbird. Rin moved closer, her hand resting onto his chest.
 
A yawn escaped Rin, who tucked her face into his side, trying to hide it. It was getting late and nightfall would soon descend. He wondered if perhaps they should return to camp. Sesshomaru had wanted to start a small fire. While he could see well enough on a moonless night, he still didn't want to search for dry timber in the dark.
 
Gently squeezing Rin's shoulder, he asked, “Shall we return, Rin?”
 
Rin shook her head against his side, trying to stifle another yawn. “Just a little longer, Sesshomaru-sama. Please?”
 
Unable to deny her request, he sighed. “Just for a while, Rin.”
 
They continued in silence, Rin tucked securely against his side. The little girl's arms slipped around his waist and she hugged him as they walked. She sighed, nuzzling against his side. Every so often, she'd suppress another yawn, and Sesshomaru knew they should turn back, but wanted their walk together to last just that much longer. Here, in this moment, everything faded and all the troubles they faced seemed inconsequential.
 
The little girl's voice cut into the silence, “What's it like to fly, Sesshomaru-sama?”
 
The Demon Lord stopped, gripping Rin tightly about the waist. Anxiety curled through him at the question. With the sorcerers donning other shapes as if it were a natural occurrence, the Demon Lord had shoved the possibility of Rin ever doing the same into the recesses of his mind. Now, he had almost no choice but to confront it. Sooner or later, Sesshomaru knew the time would come when the wolf-woman would teach her this. He just hadn't wanted to face it so soon. Her shrinking lesson had left him cold inside, despite his overwhelming pride.
 
No matter her gift's blessings or his growing tolerance, Sesshomaru still saw Rin as an ordinary human girl on some level. The idea she would alter herself, especially into the shape of an animal, throughly terrified him. Yet, he knew rather he accepted it or not, the time would come. Short of rejecting Rin and her talent, which Sesshomaru would never do, he had to accept the inevitable. It seemed the closer the two of them became these days, the more independent Rin became---all in the strangest of ways.
 
Sesshomaru-sama?”
 
It,” Sesshomaru began, as his eyes connected with hers. He felt dumbstruck as he gazed at her earnest face, a curious hope filling her eyes. He knew that he had, then, an obligation to tell her the truth. He owed her that much, no matter his selfish desire that she never know. He had no right to deny her the boundless pleasure, the freedom flight brought.
 
It's like nothing else, Rin.” The Demon Lord sighed, trying to find the words to describe something almost indefinable. He closed his eyes, imagining that he was flying. “It's wonderful. There's an unimaginable ecstasy to flight. It's freeing. When flying, time seems to stop. It's you and the sky, and it's an amazing feeling one can only understand if they experience it for themselves.”
 
Rin reached up and gently stroked one of his stripes. Sesshomaru opened his eyes, connecting with her grateful gaze. She smiled slightly, continuing to trace the long stripe on his cheekbone. The Demon Lord cupped her hand in his own, holding it there. They stood this way several moments, his gold eyes searching her understanding brown. Even if he hadn't said it, Rin had picked upon his anxiety.
 
Thank-you, Sesshomaru-sama,” Rin whispered. “Rin can wait for now.”
 
The Demon Lord leaned in and gently kissed her forehead. He pulled her close in an embrace, his long fingers threading through her soft hair. “Thank-you, Rin.”
 
Returning to their tent, Sesshomaru gently settled Rin before making a small fire. Its warm cheerful light filled the small clearing, giving it an intimate feeling. The Demon Lord sat down across from the little girl, easing her foot into his lap. He slowly unwrapped it, giving her skin a chance to breathe. Once completed, Sesshomaru began to massage the injured appendage. A relieved sigh escaped Rin, and he looked up, seeing a relaxed expression cross her face. Such a difference from the previous night.
 
The ankle itself was no longer as swollen as it had been. The dark bruises were also starting to fade. Sesshomaru tenderly felt the bone, careful not to press too hard. A grimace crossed Rin's face, but she did not cry out or pull away. The Demon Lord stopped, afraid he had hurt her nonetheless.
 
You don't have to stop, Sesshomaru-sama. It made it feel better.”
 
Sesshomaru shook his head. He gently rubbed the bottom of her foot, working his way to the ankle. Rin leaned back, resting on her elbows, a pleased expression on her face. Slowly, the Demon Lord rubbed back towards her toes. Rin's eyes closed and she exhaled softly. She wiggled her toes, the gesture playful.
 
Sesshomaru laughed softly, quirking an eyebrow. Somehow, it seemed like a challenge. He recalled when Rin had attempted tickling him. It had perplexed him, but now with Rin teasing him, he seemed to understand, if only a little. He brushed a claw mischievously across the sole of her foot. He smirked when she squealed softly and tried to jerk her foot away.
 
Rin squirmed away, giggling wildly. “Sesshomaru-sama! That tickles!”
 
Sesshomaru smiled wryly. He held her foot in his lap, keeping her from pulling too far away. He flicked his claw again. “You mean, this, Rin?”
 
“Sesshomaru-sama!” Rin wiggled, laughing harder. She sat up, her dark hair framing her face. The little girl glared playfully at him and shook her head. “That's not very nice!”
 
Sesshomaru chuckled, gently tugging on her big toe. “That was not this Sesshomaru's intention.”
 
Rin fell back, giggling, the sound melodious. She threw her arms over her face, hiding her yawn. “Rin's very tired.”
 
“This Sesshomaru can see that. Change into your night yukata, and we shall retire for the night.”
 
Rin hid another yawn, nodding. “Yes, Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
The Demon Lord eased Rin up and helped her into the tent. While she dressed, Sesshomaru watched the last gasps of daylight fade. With the moon absent, the stars seemed that much brighter. In this alien world, the most familiar constellations were missing. There was one constant, however. It seemed that the north star remained a fixture in the night sky.
 
The tent flap rustled and Rin exited, wearing a white yukata decorated with delicate silver lilies. It was one of the Demon Lord's favorite. Most of the kimono and yukata he had commissioned for her were decorated with lilies. As it was the little girl's scent, it seemed appropriate. The plain black obi holding it closed was a good contrast. As nice as her travel dress was, Sesshomaru found that he preferred seeing Rin in kimono and yukata. It suited her much better, somehow.
 
Rin shuffled towards Sesshomaru, a wide smile on her face. The Demon Lord noticed that she had also re-wrapped her ankle. She clutched a hairbrush in her hand and ran it through her hair. She joined him and looked up to the stars. Rin whispered, “It's so dark without the moon, isn't it, Sesshomaru-sama?”
 
Sesshomaru slipped his arm around the little girl's shoulder. He snorted. “You should rest.”
 
The little girl looked up. “Can we stay out here by the fire for awhile? Please, Sesshomaru-sama?”
 
“If it pleases you, Rin.”
 
They settled near the fire, Rin resting in his lap. She leaned back, propping her head on his shoulder. Sesshomaru tucked his arm around her waist, holding her close. He kissed her temple and nuzzled his nose against her ear. The Demon Lord pulled a light blanket over them, tucking it about Rin's waist.
 
The little girl slid out of his lap to sit next to him. Rin sighed softly and ran her hairbrush through her dark hair. She hummed softly while she brushed. The melody was lighthearted and relaxed. The firelight reflected off of her chestnut hair, causing it to take on a ruddy cast.
 
Sesshomaru watched her sure hand stroke the brush through the wealth of her hair in a gentle rhythm. He reached up and grasped her hand curled around the hairbrush handle. “May this Sesshomaru?”
 
Rin glanced towards him, a wide smile on her face. She handed the brush to him and nodded. The little girl shifted back into his lap. “If you want, Sesshomaru-sama. Rin would like that.”
 
The Demon Lord lifted her hair, threading it through his fingers so it cascaded down her back. Sesshomaru ran the brush slowly through it in deliberate strokes. This earned him a contented sigh, and Rin's frame relaxed considerably. Rin tilted her head back slightly, granting him greater access to her hair. The Demon Lord was astonished to realize that the little girl's thick chestnut mane flowed to her waist.
 
The longer he brushed her hair, the more acute her scent became. He luxuriated in its clean and refreshing aroma. It smelt as if he had picked a fresh bouquet of lilies. The majority of humans had a displeasing scent, dirty and offensive. Not so with Rin. Sesshomaru would have to indulge in this again with the little girl soon---and often.
 
Turning the bush over, he realized it was full of her hair. He stopped momentarily, pulling the strands free. Sesshomaru shook them from his fingers. He gently ran his palm across her hair, feeling its softness. He noticed the slight wave and slowly stroked his hand over it.
 
Why did you stop, Sesshomaru-sama?”
 
This Sesshomaru had to clean the brush.” He kissed her ear.
 
Oh.” Rin giggled softly.
 
The Demon Lord continued brushing her long mane, making certain to work underneath as well. He kept his pace leisurely, wanting to make it last just a little bit longer. There was something reverent about this simple activity. It was soothing to share such an unpretentious moment.
 
Once he had filled the hairbrush a second time, the Demon Lord stopped and set it aside. He gently kissed the top of her head. Sesshomaru pulled her close and whispered in her ear, “Thank-you, Rin.”
 
Rin turned in his embrace. She kissed his cheek and smiled wide. “You're welcome, Sesshomaru-sama.” The little girl shifted, looking up towards the stars. “Can you see it, Sesshomaru-sama?”
 
Sesshomaru glanced up, scanning the night sky. “Tell this Sesshomaru what you see.”
 
You don't see it?” Rin covered her mouth, hiding another yawn. “There's a dragon in the stars. See its tail, Sesshomaru-sama? Follow it to its head.”
 
The Demon Lord stared intently at the stars until he could see the dragon outline. He traced the serpentine figure back to its majestic head, the mouth open. Excluding Ah-Un, Sesshomaru despised dragons---with good reason. This celestial dragon, however, was regal. Its great clawed hand outstretched towards a small cluster of stars, as if to grasp a treasure.
 
Look. He has three claws.” The little girl pointed. “Do you think he's the Dragon King?”
 
Sesshomaru's eyebrows raised. “You know of the Dragon King, Rin?”
 
Yes, Sesshomaru-sama.” Rin sighed. “My mother used to tell me stories about Ryujin and his palace before bed.”
 
And just what did she tell you about him and his palace?”
 
Mother said that the palace is located at the bottom of the sea. The legend says that there are four halls, one for each direction and each season. Mother told me that for humans, one day in the palace is like one hundred years. In the story, it's always fish that serve the Dragon King, but the turtle is his messenger. She told me that dragons protect the Dragon Palace because it has a lot of treasure, like the Tide Jewels, controlling the ebb and flow of the tides.” She pointed towards the cluster. “Do you think he's reaching for the Tide Jewels?”
 
Perhaps.”
 
It's too bad the dragon doesn't have two heads.” Rin paused. “We could have named it Ah-Un.” The little girl sighed softly. “Do you think Ah-Un misses us? Rin wonders if we'll ever see them again.”
 
Sesshomaru nuzzled his nose against her ear. “This Sesshomaru thinks it's possible. We may see Ah-Un again.”
 
Let's name him Ryujin, after the Dragon King, Sesshomaru-sama.” The little girl giggled softly. “He even has whiskers. See them?”
 
Sesshomaru smoothed her hair, tucking it behind an ear. “This Sesshomaru does.” He gestured, pointing towards the stars. “Notice how the stars making his eyes are that much brighter than the rest?”
 
Yes, Sesshomaru-sama.” Rin sighed, fighting off yet another yawn. “Rin's sorry. She's getting so sleepy.”
 
Sesshomaru tucked the blanket tighter. “Rest well, then, Rin.”
 
Goodnight, Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
Sesshomaru smoothed the blanket out, tucking it around the little girl's shoulder. He stared into the fire and sighed. Tomorrow would be another long day. He would start teaching the fox kit at dawn, a task the Demon Lord knew would not be easy. It would be necessary, however, for the pack's stability. The boy had been untrained and allowed to misbehave for far too long.
 
The Demon Lord smiled to himself. There was a time he could recall being as insolent. It had been a phase---a very short lived one at that. He had been a very young pup, no older than the kit was now, when it had surfaced. His independent nature and stubborn streak had brought it out, wreaking havoc. Looking back, it amused him that he had ever been so brash.
 
He knew why the kit behaved the way he did---and why he himself had done the same as a pup. This was a test of boundaries. The boy wanted to see how far he could push before he was disciplined. In fact, the kit so desperately wanted discipline and boundaries. Rather he admitted it or not, Sesshomaru knew that was the real reason the little fox demon misbehaved. He lacked direction and he needed it.
 
As a pup, the Demon Lord had tested boundaries by being defiant. He had refused to act as a proper heir to the Inu no Tashio by dodging his tutors. Sesshomaru had argued with them and had resisted learning their lessons. He had tested his father's patience by often hiding from everyone---always at the most inconvenient of times. He had even turned to pranks to further upset his father's court. In truth, Sesshomaru knew, for that brief period of his childhood, that he had been an absolute monster.
 
His father's punishments had been severe. He hadn't used physical punishments to persuade Sesshomaru to stop his childish behavior, however. He hadn't needed to. There was a much more powerful weapon than any beating or public humiliation in his father's arsenal. Sesshomaru had been undone by it and it was what had single handedly put a stop to his impudence. His father had chosen to ignore him---as had everyone else. Sesshomaru had become a non-entity in his father's court. His only recourse to be returned to good standing within the pack had been to prove his worthiness by learning self-discipline and humility.
 
The fox kit's situation was different, but the methods to curtail his insolence would be the same. The boy was still canine in nature---despite the miko's soft attentions. Ignoring him would be Sesshomaru's greatest tool. That was obvious as the kit's temper tantrum had stemmed from a lack of attention---or rather not receiving a desired level of attention.
 
Now that he had the kit's attention, however, ignoring him as discipline would be most effective. Pack was everything, after all. His canine instincts would crave being returned to good standing---and to do it would mean behaving appropriately. This form of punishment coupled with doing manual labor would help the kit to learn the humility he so desperately needed. It'd work much better than any beating could. The drive to change would come from within instead of without. In the long run, it would make training the boy that much easier. The pack would also benefit from a reformed fox kit, as well.
 
In the first lesson, Sesshomaru intended to find out where the boy was at in his development. He could tell that he was severely behind for his age. His tricks were merely that, and all ineffectively used. Sesshomaru knew that all fox magic was trickery, but a master illusionist could turn its intended target's mind against itself. Used effectively, it could do far more damage than a physical attack could. It would also be an asset to have the kit learn it to counteract that of their enemies similar tactics.
 
Once he established the boy's skill level, he could assess what to do next. This first lesson would entail less of him teaching and more of him observing. The fox child's demonic energy was weak, his aura almost engulfed by that of the other demons in his presence. First and foremost, the Demon Lord would have to teach him to strengthen and maintain it. Sesshomaru surmised that he would also have to provide a few more ground rules in order to prepare the boy for the discipline necessary to be his pupil. They would be the same ones his father had imposed on him all those years ago.
 
Sesshomaru closed his eyes and pulled the slumbering Rin closer. He knew he should put her to bed in the tent, but he found that he was much too comfortable. Besides, he knew the little girl enjoyed sleeping under the stars. He sighed softly, brushing hair from her peaceful face. He had throughly enjoyed this quiet evening with his Rin.
 
Looking up, he traced the dragon again. Ryujin seemed an appropriate name indeed. It's majestic figure lay scattered in brilliant points across the black canvas of night. Staring up at the heavenly figure, Sesshomaru felt diffident. It was so vast, its exact size unimaginable. As puissant as he, the Lord of the Western Lands was, it was humbling.
 
Since arriving in this strange land, however, Sesshomaru had cared less and less about his title and landholdings. He knew that it should bother him. He was very possessive, after all. It just didn't seem to matter anymore. Each day that passed, it seemed that the Western Lands faded from his mind a little bit more. There just seemed to be more pressing issues that concerned him far more.
 
It just seemed that being Lord of the Western Lands became more and more inconsequential. The Demon Lord would always retain the title and his royal blood, but he had almost lost interest in maintaining them. With the urgency to exterminate Naraku demanding more and more of his attention each day, it just seemed petty to be concerned with his lands. That was the primary concern, and in the end his lands would resolve themselves. He had to remain focused.
 
Yet, even destroying Naraku seemed trivial. It was still crucial and imperative, but it seemed to only be a small piece to a much grander puzzle. Sesshomaru wasn't certain as to what that might be, but he could sense it. There were just too many things that had happened since arriving in this foreign world. Naraku played a part, but he was not everything. It troubled the Demon Lord that he didn't know what exactly it all meant.
 
Sesshomaru sighed. Although he didn't understand everything about their current predicament, he could tell that it was perhaps one of the most important things that he would take part in. With each passing day and with each event that happened, it seemed that the stakes increased just that much more. There were opposing forces at work. It went beyond the petty power struggle that typically took place. It was bigger than that, much bigger. Sesshomaru's instincts told him that this particular place and time would settle perhaps the most important dispute ever.
 
The Demon Lord certainly cared little for rescuing the world from its ills. There would always be disreputable individuals committing wicked deeds. There would always be suffering. It would be impossible to stop every egregious act. Sesshomaru was not pessimistic by nature; he was simply a realist. Evil would always exist.
 
While he acknowledged such truths about the world, even one not his own, Sesshomaru recognized that he was part of something that might perhaps make it slightly less so. Staring up into the alien night sky, the Demon Lord mused about the things he had experienced since arriving in this strange place. Things had changed so drastically in the few short months he had been here. He knew that nothing would be the same again and that there was no going back. Part of him didn't want to return to his old life.
 
Looking down at the little girl resting comfortably in his lap, Sesshomaru knew Rin was a big reason for that. After they had arrived in the Vale, everything had changed. All of his priorities had shifted. Concerns Sesshomaru never knew existed or had ignored moved to the forefront. It had all started once they left on this journey.
 
The idea of a pack and all of their considerations had returned to prominence. It was the first time since his father's death that Sesshomaru had had a chance to belong to one again. Until embarking on this, the Demon Lord had believed the hopes of belonging to a true pack had passed him by. Now he had his brother. He had the miko. He had their kit. He even had his brother's adopted pack mates, the demon slayer and monk. Most importantly, he had Rin. Perhaps this was what it was all about.
 
Brushing his nose against Rin's hair, Sesshomaru sighed. He pulled her closer. This little girl was his most important concern. Despite the changes he had endured since their arrival, that had not changed. He was certain that it never would.
 
Gently kissing her temple, Sesshomaru pulled the blanket closer around them. Settling back, the Demon Lord closed his eyes. He wrapped his arm around her tiny form and simply held her. Listening carefully, he focused again on her slow heartbeat. It lulled him to the edge of slumber. He would let go of the concerns of this world and allow the issues surrounding their place in it to fade for now. Tomorrow would be another day. For now, it was just him and his Rin and that was all that mattered.