Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Seventy-Nine ( Chapter 79 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

This chapter is dedicated to David Eddings, who passed away at age 77 on June 2nd, 2009.
 
For more information, review responses, and more, visit my live journal at farawayeyes4.
 
Chapter Seventy-Nine
 
Koga sat idly by the creek, running his hand through the cool water. He watched as dawn made its approach in soft grays. Sunrise wouldn't be for an hour or so, but the wolf-demon was restless. He wanted to press onwards and put as much distance between himself and Inuyasha and Kagome as possible. Koga also wanted to put the little girl's fear from yesterday out of his mind. What he really wanted to do, more than anything, was to simply run and see where it would take him.
 
Leaning back, Koga closed his eyes. Somehow, no matter what he did, his thoughts wandered back not to Inuyasha and Kagome, but to the little girl. Having been accused of her murder, he wanted to desperately remember her. What was her name? Rin? He kept seeing her terrified expression in his mind's eye, and no matter what he did, he could not shake it. It bothered him that he could provoke such terror in another, especially a human child. Why couldn't he remember her?
 
Rising to his feet, Koga stretched, his limbs numb from sitting in the same position all night. His tail twitched behind him, illustrating his anxiousness. Something told him that today would be eventful, possibly more so than yesterday. He rolled his head around, working out kinks in his neck. Koga mused that he would continue in the same direction as yesterday. Perhaps he'd find a fight to help release some of his tension.
 
Glancing to his left, he saw the remains of the deer they had for supper the night before. Next to that was a small fire pit, steam rising from the smoldering coals. For some reason, Ginta and Hakkaku had insisted upon cooking their meat, although Koga found it unnecessary. The result hadn't been bad, but he would have preferred the kill raw. The two pack-mates had said that they had liked it when Kagome had shared it with them once. In no mood to argue, Koga had given into their demand.
 
Becoming impatient, Koga kicked some dirt at Ginta and Hakkaku. He growled, “Come on, you lazy asses. Get up. I want to get moving.”
 
Sputtering, his pack-mates jumped to their feet, startled. They looked around, almost expecting an attack. Ginta assumed a fighting stance and asked breathlessly, “What's happening, Koga?”
 
“We're leaving, that's what.” Koga crossed his arms, becoming surlier by each passing moment. He didn't want to waste anymore time here. “Let's move it!”
 
“Okay, okay, Koga.” Hakkaku held his hands up in supplication. “We're ready to go. Lead the way.”
 
Koga turned on his heel. He began to sprint, kicking up a large dust cloud. Calling over his shoulder, the wolf-demon shouted, “Come on, you two! And try to keep up this time, will ya?”
 
He heard in the distance, “Wait for us, Koga!”
 
Koga pushed himself to run faster. The wind tousled his hair and caressed his skin. He felt his lungs strain to take in air, and he never felt more alive. Running was so cathartic. It didn't matter that he had no real destination. To run was to be free. The land opened before him, allowing him to roam. Thus far, this morning held more promise for him than yesterday.
 
He passed few villages. It seemed empty, which was fine with him. He would rather not come across any terrorized humans. Koga merely wanted to follow the trajectory he had set for himself and see where it took him. It felt, almost, as if something unseen was guiding him.
 
The morning air was brisk. As sunrise approached, pale pinks blushed the sky. Although it was spring, the morning seemed reluctant to rise from its slumber. The ground crunched under Koga's feet, a light frost blanketing the grass. It was cool to the touch as it brushed the soles of his feet.
 
By now, Ginta and Hakkaku had been left far behind. Part of him felt guilty, but he really needed the solitude. They tended to ask too many questions or chatter too much. Right now, Koga just wanted to focus on running. It was simply the wolf-demon and the ground he covered.
 
In the distance, Koga spotted a small thicket. He surged towards it, quickly surpassing it. In his wake, he heard the rustle of feathers and the angry chatter of disturbed birds. He didn't care and began to laugh softly. Koga felt carefree and unburdened for the first time since the previous morning's debacle.
 
For now, Koga would put aside the anger and bitterness at being passed over by Kagome in favor of that half-breed. He would let go and live in the moment. The wolf-demon knew that he could not change it, and while he certainly wasn't over the sting to his pride, it served him no purpose to dwell upon it. There was no time for it, especially not when there was new terrain to traverse or a beautiful day to enjoy. If anything, he would only become infuriated all over again if he thought about it.
 
As his surroundings blurred past him, Koga also let go of the guilt concerning the little girl. He didn't remember her anyways, and it wouldn't do him any good to punish himself for a crime he couldn't recall committing. As it was, he couldn't likely go back and find out what they meant by accusing him of killing a very much alive girl. Although he didn't want to admit it, Koga had barely escaped with his life, and he wasn't about to forfeit it to satisfy a curiosity. Eventually, he'd discover what had happened to that girl, and perhaps find out if it hadn't been another demon that had committed the actual crime.
 
As the morning progressed, the air became warmer. The sunshine bathed him in its warmth as he ran. With his improving mood, Koga felt as if he could run for days. There was nothing to stop him, and no place in particular he had to be. He rather enjoyed the strain it placed on his muscles to push himself to his top speed. There was nothing else like this in the world. Too often, it seemed, Koga was running some place with urgency, and not simply to enjoy it. Running for the sake of running had been far from his mind since Naraku had slaughtered his pack. It was wonderful to return to it once again.
 
Out of the corner of his eye, Koga spotted a black blur as it ran past him. Amazed that anything could possibly keep up with him, the wolf-demon slowed and stopped. A few feet away, so did the black blur. When it stopped, Koga locked eyes with a she-wolf.
 
The she-wolf was all black, save for the frost-tips of her sleek coat. She wasn't very large, but Koga could tell by her musculature that she was agile. Her emerald eyes belied intelligence and alertness. The she-wolf sat on her haunches, her tongue lolling out in what the wolf-demon could only guess was amusement. Somehow, Koga felt that he was being laughed at.
 
“Why in so great a hurry, friend?”the she-wolf asked coyly.
 
“You---you can keep up with me?” Koga sputtered.
 
“Of course.” The she-wolf preened herself.
 
“How?” Koga bit his lip, dumbfounded.
 
“By running, of course,” the she-wolf replied matter-of-factly. “You are most remarkable. You run like the man-things on two legs, but you smell like a wolf.”
 
This conversation was becoming surreal. First humans had never heard of a wolf-demon, and now neither had this she-wolf. It didn't make any sense. She also spoke completely different from all the other wolves he had ever encountered. Her mannerisms reminded him of the strange wolf-woman from the previous morning, but she was different. This she-wolf was young and did not have the same sageness about her.
 
Cautiously, Koga replied, “I am a wolf-demon.”
 
“One has never heard of such a creature before, but one is pleased to meet you.”
 
Koga furrowed his brows. He licked his lips feeling out of his depth. He replied, “I'm glad to meet you, too. What's your name?”
 
The she-wolf's tongue lolled out again in wolfish laughter. “Name? Wolves have no need for names.”
 
“They don't, eh?” Koga's tail twitched behind him. So far this she-wolf intrigued him.
 
“What a splendid tail you have,” the she-wolf complimented.
 
The wolf-demon felt a blush inexplicably color his cheeks. He rubbed the back of his neck and muttered, “Thanks. You have a nice tail, too.”
 
The she-wolf bowed her head. “Thank-you.”
 
Koga bit his lip. He still wasn't sure how this she-wolf could keep up with him. “How can you run as fast as me? No one's ever been able to keep up before.”
 
The she-wolf's grin grew. “All wolves run fast. One can run as fast as one wants.”
 
Koga folded his arms over his chest. “Really now. I've always outrun the other wolves I've met.”
 
“Is that so?” The she-wolf's green eyes sparkled. “One wonders how long you will run this day.”
 
The wolf-demon shrugged. “Until I want to rest.”
 
“One is pleased by this.” She preened her fur. “One would like to accompany you.”
 
“Don't see why not. Just don't fall behind.”
 
“One hopes that you will keep up.” The she-wolf playfully snapped her jaws at Koga before turning tail and giving chase.
 
“Hey!” Koga called before running after her.
 
Quickly, the wolf-demon caught up to the she-wolf and crossed the terrain alongside her. It had been a long time since he had run with another wolf. Too often, they couldn't keep up and he was left to run alone. How he had missed having a running companion. Koga hadn't realized it until now, but he had been longing for one for years. Perhaps this she-wolf was the one.
 
Out of the corner of his eye, Koga watched her run. He had been right in his assessment of her. This she-wolf was incredibly agile. She was also blazing fast. Her muscles bunched up, giving her powerful surges. The she-wolf was perhaps the most graceful runner he had ever had the pleasure of accompanying. Her paws made almost no sound as she ran. The intensity with which she covered ground was beautiful and alluring. For once, Koga had to work to keep up.
 
They continued onwards, pushing each other to run faster. Their surroundings blurred into a rainbow of color. A grin crossed the wolf-demon's face. He would gladly accept the she-wolf's challenge. He picked up speed and made a sharp turn to see if she would take his bait. She did and playfully nipped at his tail before dashing ahead of him.
 
Koga laughed heartily, running after her. He couldn't remember the last time he had such fun simply running. His lungs ached, his muscles were strained, and his sides were sore. The wolf-demon hadn't felt this satisfied in a long time. Looking over, he noticed that the she-wolf had her tongue hanging out in that strange manner of amusement again. He was pleased to know that she also enjoyed their run.
 
The she-wolf veered in a new direction and Koga followed. She stopped at a small creek, panting. The wolf-demon followed suit, hunching over to catch his own breath. She lowered her head, taking a long drink. Koga cupped his hands, eagerly guzzling water. This was how one was supposed to feel after a good run. Lying back, the wolf-demon collapsed into the dirt, his chest heaving and his heart racing.
 
The she-wolf joined him, panting slightly. She complimented, “You do run very well. One enjoyed it immensely.”
 
“You're not half bad yourself,” Koga replied breathlessly. “I haven't run that fast or that hard in ages.”
 
A comfortable silence settled between them as they recovered their breath. Koga covered his eyes with his arms and took a few measured deep breaths. He knew that he should wait here for Ginta and Hakkaku, but part of him hoped that the she-wolf would want to continue their run. He wasn't sure how long she'd stay with him.
 
The wolf-demon's stomach rumbled with hunger. He chuckled softly and sat up. Sniffing the air, Koga picked up on the scent of a buck. He sprang to his feet silently. “Shall we hunt?”
 
“One would like that.”
 
They approached the thicket carefully, then split up to surround their prey. Peering between the branches, Koga spotted the buck. It ate obliviously, stripping a branch of its leaves. Slowly, the wolf-demon neared, ready to strike. Before he could make his move, the she-wolf lunged from the underbrush, locking her powerful jaws around the buck's jugular. Koga circled to the animal's rear and slashed his claws, cutting the buck's hamstring.
 
The animal thrashed, trying to break free. It collapsed to the ground, sealing its fate. The she-wolf snapped her jaws, ripping the buck's throat out, effectively ending its struggle. Koga bent down and hoisted their kill onto his shoulders, carrying it back to the creek bank. The she-wolf followed him, licking her muzzle.
 
Koga put the buck down on the ground and slashed its belly open. He nodded to the she-wolf, inviting her to feed. It was only fair as she had made the killing blow. She bowed in thanks and lowered her head, beginning to eat her fill.
 
Koga knelt down next to her and sliced some meat for himself. He said, “You're an excellent hunter.”
 
“One is pleased that you think so.”
 
Koga chewed his meat slowly, relishing the taste of a fresh kill. While the cooked meat the previous night had been good, raw was so much better. He licked blood from his lips, pleased. Koga swallowed and sighed in contentment. This was how kills were meant to be eaten, not burnt.
 
The wolf-demon cut some more meat, eating slowly. He watched the she-wolf devour the buck as if she hadn't eaten in a week. He wondered why she was alone. It hadn't really occurred to him until now, but he couldn't understand why she wasn't with a pack. Something must have happened, but what?
 
Koga wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. He asked, “Where's your pack?”
 
The she-wolf stopped eating and laid her ears down. “They're dead.”
 
Koga blinked. “What happened?”
 
She turned around, her head down. “The big dogs and man-things killed them. One was the only one to survive.”
 
“Big dogs?” Koga furrowed his brows. “How could a dog, no matter how big, beat a wolf?”
 
“They're not like normal dogs.” The she-wolf seemed to slump. “These dogs can talk to the man-things and are as big as the beasts the man-things ride. My pack was cornered by them and slaughtered.”
 
Koga's eyebrows shot up. He had encountered these dogs. They were usually with the men in robes and steel masks. Anytime the wolf-demon had seen them, he had gone in the other direction. Why would they attack a wolf pack? It didn't make any sense. Wolves didn't dally in human affairs. What would possess these men to slaughter an entire pack?
 
“Why would they do that?” Koga mused aloud.
 
“One isn't entirely certain, but the dogs said that they did not like wolves. One would have perished with one's pack if not for the pack-leader's command to flee.” The she-wolf lowered her head, shame in her green eyes.
 
Koga frowned. “Your pack-leader was right to make you flee. My pack was also slaughtered, and I mean to get my revenge on the one who did it.”
 
“It was unnatural for one to desert the pack,” the she-wolf replied.
 
“It isn't desertion if the pack-leader commands it.”
 
“Perhaps not.” She turned, eating slowly.
 
In the distance, Koga could hear the sounds of someone's approach. Ginta and Hakkaku had finally caught up. Koga muttered under his breath, “Well finally. It's about time they caught up.”
 
The she-wolf lifted her head and looked towards them. She inquired, “Your pack?”
 
“What's left of it.” Koga threw a rock into the creek.
 
“One would be pleased to meet them.”
 
Ginta and Hakkaku stopped, hunched over before them while gasping for air. They were sweaty and tired, exhaustion written all over their faces. They collapsed into the dirt and crawled towards the stream, eagerly drinking their fill. So far they hadn't acknowledged Koga or his companion.
 
Ginta sat back first. He glanced towards Koga and gave a tired wave. As he spotted the she-wolf, his eyes went wide. He gestured, still unable to catch his breath to ask his question.
 
“I met her along the way. She's welcome to stay with us for as long as she likes,” Koga said matter-of-factly. “Understand?”
 
Hakkaku nodded, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. “Yeah, Koga.”
 
“Good.”
 
The she-wolf turned curious green eyes on Ginta and Hakkaku. She carefully padded towards them, then bowed her head in submission. “One is pleased to meet you.”
 
Ginta and Hakkaku exchanged glances and blushed slightly. They replied together, “Nice to meet you, too.”
 
Koga gestured towards the kill. “Go ahead, you two.”
 
They nodded and approached the carcass. Hakkaku set out to build a small fire and Ginta skewered some meat, preparing to roast it. This earned them the scrutiny of the she-wolf. She cautiously neared the fire on silent feet, watching with an unblinking stare. The two wolf-demons made a crude spit and turned their meat over it, slowly cooking it. Koga was amused by the she-wolf's reaction.
 
“How remarkable,” the she-wolf commented. “Is this a custom in your pack---to burn your meat?”
 
There was that word again. Custom. Koga had never heard such emphasis on it. “What do you mean by that?”
 
“Is it a custom to burn your meat?” She tilted her head in the direction of the spit. “One has only seen the man-things do this to their meat.”
 
“Would you like to try it?” Ginta offered. “We learned it from a pack-sister and she says it is a custom where she is from.”
 
“Oh. If it is a custom, one would like to try it.” The she-wolf bowed her head.
 
Koga blinked, stunned. How did Ginta know how to respond? Until now, the word custom had never come up. No other wolf, excluding the wolf-woman, had ever even uttered the word. It baffled him. Ginta seemed to instinctively know how to answer and it bothered him that he didn't.
 
“What do you mean by custom, damn it,” Koga asked, throughly frustrated.
 
The she-wolf blinked. She let her tongue loll out again in amusement. She replied cryptically, “All wolves have customs.”
 
“That doesn't answer the question.” Koga crossed his arms.
 
“Is it true that your pack-members follow you?” The she-wolf preened her fur, cleaning any blood from it.
 
“What does that have to do with customs?”
 
“Is that not also a custom?” The she-wolf countered. “It is like any other custom.”
 
“Such as?” Koga narrowed his eyes. “Such as not eating humans?” He wanted to test her to see if she would respond the way the wolf-woman had.
 
A look of disgust crossed the she-wolf's face, her teeth bared slightly. “One would never break that custom. Never. It is most distasteful to even consider eating man-things. Repulsive.”
 
Koga pursed his lips. So she felt the same way about it. Before now, wolves he had met had never had any problem with the practice. How was it that the wolves in this strange land felt so differently?
 
Ginta and Hakkaku kept silent, watching the exchange. Neither seemed to want to interrupt, busying themselves with cooking their meat.
 
“What if your pack-leader commanded it?”
 
“Then that wolf is unfit to be pack-leader.” The she-wolf stared at him with unblinking eyes.
 
“I see.”
 
Koga bit his lip. While he had allowed the consumption of human flesh in the past, he couldn't help but feel guilty now. In fact, the very idea repulsed him. He wasn't sure if it was due to encountering these two wolves, or if it was something else. He just knew that it would never happen again as long as he was pack-leader.
 
The little girl's scream echoed in his mind again. Its terror washed over him, and he felt his gut wrench with guilt. Just upon seeing him, she had panicked. Of all the reasons he would never allow the consumption of mortals, it wasn't the disdain of these two wolves. It was because of the little girl. Part of Koga wanted to make restitutions to her. Even if he didn't remember her, he felt that he owed her for some reason.
 
“Sister, the meat is ready.” Ginta's voice broke Koga from his dark thoughts.
 
Glancing over, Koga watched as the she-wolf approached the make-shift spit with hesitation. Her nose twitched delicately and her green eyes were curious. Ginta sliced some meat, offering it to her. The she-wolf pawed at it, examining it closely. Lowering her muzzle, her pink tongue flicked out to taste. She snapped up the hunk of meat and chewed slowly.
 
Once the she-wolf swallowed, she commented, “Adequate.”
 
Koga smirked, pleased with her assessment.
 
As soon as everyone had eaten their fill, Koga stood, stretching. The wolf-demon shielded his eyes while he glanced over the horizon. His tail twitched in anticipation, and the urge to see what was beyond the next hill flared anew within him. He couldn't help but feel that something was leading him. Eager to continue, Koga cleared his throat to get everyone's attention.
 
“Let's move,” the wolf-demon announced, his voice clipped.
 
Breaking into a sprint, Koga didn't wait for a response. He pushed into the expansive plain, his shard-enhanced legs providing him with an extra burst of speed. Out of the corner of his eye, Koga glimpsed the dark blur of the she-wolf. A wide grin crossed his face, pleased that she had decided to join him.
 
Koga veered to the southwest, his pace furious. The strange tug pulled harder upon him. The wolf-demon willed himself to run faster. Small thickets and tiny villages blurred as they passed. They were close to their unknown destination; Koga could feel it.
 
They coursed down a steep hill, entering a vast plain. Angry shouts and the clang of the steel resounded from ahead. In the distance, he spotted the raging fight as two massive armies clashed together in intense combat. Death hung heavy in the air, causing his hair to stand on end. Koga felt his adrenaline surge, and he picked up speed.
 
The she-wolf growled low in her throat and stopped. Koga slid to a halt next to her, his brows furrowed. Something had spooked her. Was it the battle before them? Taking a deep breath the scent of the strange monstrous dogs filled his nostrils, causing them to flare in disgust.
 
Koga licked his lips. “It's up to you. We could get vengeance for your pack.”
 
“One has no grudge with these dogs. It serves no purpose.” The she-wolf's green eyes glittered dangerously. “However one does not like the idea of these dogs possibly doing the same to another pack.”
 
“Are you sure?” Koga rubbed the back of his neck and swished his tail.
 
“One is. For the sake of other wolves, we must face these dogs.”
 
“Alright. Then let's go.”
 
Koga assessed the raging battlefield. Infantry and calvary outfitted in brilliant scarlet clashed with a pack of the hulking dogs and crudely dressed men in furs. There had be about thirty thousand locked in combat. The battle pulsated with energy and undulated as neither side gained the upper hand.
 
“One finds this practice of the man-things distasteful,” the she-wolf commented.
 
Koga didn't reply. Instead, he focused on an alarming anomaly emerging on the battlefield. Several men had been killed and yet there were no bodies littering the ground. No sooner had a man been run through and breathed his last, that man would begin to fight anew. The sight made Koga's blood run cold. He knew this macabre dance all too well. Somewhere, Kagura was manipulating the dead.
 
“Fuck!” Koga rammed his fist into the ground, leaving a crater. “That wind-bitch. I should have known.”
 
The she-wolf stared down at the battle, her ears pinned tightly to her head. Her hackles rose as her alarm increased. She growled low in her throat and bared her fangs. “One knows that big dog in the center. It's the big dog's pack-leader, the one that slaughtered one's pack.”
 
Koga grit his teeth together, scrutinizing the hulking beast. It ruthlessly attacked the dwindling soldiers still truly alive. A small pack of the dogs encircled the shrinking army. The zombie soldiers heavily outnumbered those alive, forcing them to retreat towards the center of the battle. Clenching his fist, Koga decided that he had watched for long enough.
 
Rising from his crouch, Koga made a mad dash into the battle. With a swift kick, he nailed of the of the monstrous dogs in the head, causing it to yelp in pain. It flew back from the force and careened into another. Together, the two grotesque beasts stood up and turned to face their new opponent. Their eerie green eyes narrowed in fury and they growled as they slowly approached Koga. Out of the corner of his eye, the wolf-demon noticed that the she-wolf had followed him into the fray.
 
Staring the she-wolf down, one of the bulky dogs snorted. It said, the sound grating, “Hello there, little sister.”
 
The she-wolf bared her fangs and growled. “One is not your little sister.”
 
“Leave her alone, asshole. You want to pick a fight with someone, you pick it with me,” Koga snarled. “Got that, fucker?”
 
The dogs circled them, the leader of the two scrutinizing the wolf-demon. It bit through its enormous fangs, “You? A worthy opponent? Why, you're nothing more than demon filth. If you'd like to meet my Master, then by all means, face us.”
 
“Just demon filth, eh?” Koga launched, using the enhanced speed alloted to him by the Sacred Jewel shards. He slammed his fist into the beast's jaw and was rewarded with a sickening crack. “What do you have to say about me now, dickhead?”
 
The she-wolf cried out, “Behind you!”
 
The whistle of a sword filled Koga's ears as one of the undead soldiers attacked him. The wolf-demon ducked and, in a fluid motion, shoved his clawed hand into the dead man's gut. He ripped his hand back out, only to find the corpse still standing. In his shock, he didn't notice the other dog until it had latched its fangs on his upper arm.
 
“Fuck!” Koga shouted, furious. He violently shook his arm, trying to dislodge his attacker. Drilling his other fist into the dog's forehead, Koga growled. “Get off of me, bastard!”
 
The she-wolf snarled and lunged at the beast. She latched her fangs into the hamstring. The dog let go and turned to fight the wolf, but her aim had been true. It crumpled to the ground, unable to effectively attack.
 
Koga nodded his thanks. Given that the corpse hadn't collapsed lifeless meant that they had a bigger problem on their hands. These zombies were only going to increase in number, not decrease. If they weren't stopped, they could very easily overrun the countryside. They had to find a way to undo Kagura's control over the dead and fast.
 
They would have to press into the center of the fight. Koga looked towards the she-wolf. He bit his lip and swished his tail violently. “Cover me.”
 
The she-wolf nodded. “One shall.”
 
Pressing further towards the center of the battle, Koga used his speed to dodge attackers. The wraith army at Kagura's command may have been unstoppable, but they were slow and jerky in their movements. The massive dogs snarled and gnashed their teeth as he surged past them. He heard the she-wolf growl and glanced over his shoulder to see her dodge a lunging attack, her form a black blur of motion.
 
This moment of inattention allowed one of the hulking beasts to strike. Koga lost his footing and landed on his back. He felt the dog's powerful jaws lock around his throat, its heavy weight centered on his chest. He struggled to free his pinned arms so he could punch the animal. Koga became lightheaded and saw spots before his eyes.
 
The she-wolf attacked the giant dog, her sharp fangs tearing into its thick hide. It didn't seem to bother the dog as its jaws squeezed all the tighter. Koga tried to shift his legs to kick, but found them pinned to the ground, twisted at odd angles. Despite the dog being triple her size, the she-wolf kept attacking. She clawed her way up its back and sunk her fangs into the back of its neck.
 
Irritated, the dog let go of Koga's throat and reared, trying to throw the she-wolf. It freed the wolf-demon's arms, allowing him to strike. Pulling his fist back, Koga landed a powerful punch. He heard the neck snap from the force of the blow. The dog fell back with a thud, the she-wolf leaping from its back.
 
It ceased moving, and the body morphed before Koga's eyes into that of an old man in black robes. The man's dead eyes stared up towards the sky in utter shock. His bony hands were outstretched like claws. It struck Koga that Kagura's Dance of the Dead had no effect on him.
 
Looking towards the she-wolf, he noticed another dog preparing to attack. Before he could react, Ginta and Hakkaku lunged from behind some of the undead soldiers. They landed kicks to the dog's head simultaneously. The attack knocked it back and caused it to shake its head. Koga blinked, stunned that they had found them in this massive battle.
 
“Ginta, Hakkaku---” Koga sputtered.
 
“We'll fight with sister,” Hakkaku said.
 
“Yeah, Koga. See if you can find a way to stop Kagura,” Ginta added, his expression determined.
 
Koga nodded, too amazed to argue. “Alright. Watch her back. Understood?”
 
“One can fight for herself,” the she-wolf huffed, her ears pinned back.
 
“We will.”
 
Koga decked a zombie, knocking it back into several behind them. They fell back into a pile and jerkily scrambled to regain their footing. The wolf-demon continued past them, dodging other attackers. As he approached the very center of the battle, Koga spotted a pair locked in mortal combat. There was a small circle around them as they fought, which piqued the wolf-demon's interest.
 
One of the combatants wore a brilliant scarlet tunic underneath armor consisting of a burnished breast plate, arm and leg guards, and a helmet, its visor up. He brandished a broadsword, deftly parrying his opponent's blade. There was something off about this soldier. Koga observed him, realizing that he was already dead. Even so, he moved much more fluidly than all of the others on the battlefield.
 
The other fighter wore a white tunic, stained with blood and torn. Over that, he wore a polished breastplate and similar armor. His helmet had a red plume that tufted up from it. It danced as he moved. In his hands was a rapier, and he was swift with it. Koga noticed the sweat beading on his upper lip and brow. This man was alive and quickly tiring.
 
The wolf-demon watched closely as the two exchanged blows. The zombie soldier used brute strength to push the other's blade back, but couldn't disarm him. Slowly, they circled, the one in white trying to hold his undead opponent at a distance. He made a few quick thrusts, penetrating the seams of his foe's armor. It didn't faze the wraith fighter, and quickly he had the one in white in a retreating position. This forced his opponent to dig his heels in, cutting a groove into the mud. With a grunt, he shoved back, knocking the zombie solider back.
 
Before the man could take the offensive, he had to quickly block a sword stroke aimed for his head. Koga had to admit, that for a human he was fast. The trembling in his sword arm was not a good sign, however. His opponent could fight indefinitely, or until Kagura ceased using him as a plaything. He would have to help. If Koga could strike just right, maybe he could stop at least one of Kagura's puppets.
 
Charging in at top speed, Koga rushed the battling pair. He pulled his fist back and drilled it into the dead man's jaw. The force of the blow sent him flying high into the air, and his weapon fell harmlessly from his grip. His body tumbled to the ground and landed in an awkward position, legs twisted backwards. A shocked expression crossed his pallid face, and his eyes stared blankly ahead in death. He remained motionless, whatever spell Kagura had over him broken.
 
Around them, the other dead soldiers crumpled harmlessly to the ground. The hairs rose on the back of Koga's neck. This seemed all too familiar. He knew that his punch wasn't what had defeated Kagura's undead army. The only way to do so was to kill the wind-bitch herself. There was no doubt in his mind that Kagura was hiding somewhere, watching. For whatever reason---boredom or Naraku's command---she had ceased her Dance of the Dead.
 
Looking back towards the dead man he had hit, Koga noticed that the other man had knelt down next to him. He was gently touching the dead man's face, and his shoulders had a subtle shake to them as he wept openly. The man's pain was palpable, his despair tangible. Even though Koga didn't know him, he felt sympathy overcome him. He knew exactly how this man felt. He had experienced the same thing personally.
 
Even so, he wasn't sure how to help
 
“Kaldor---” the man choked out. “You've served me well. You were one of my best generals. Mallorea will honor you, of this I swear.”
 
The few men left alive milled around in a daze, stupefied by what had happened. Koga spotted Ginta and Hakkaku's approach. With them was the she-wolf, who limped slightly. Concern ignited within the wolf-demon's chest upon seeing her injured. Both of his pack-mates had apologetic expressions on their faces, their shoulders slumped.
 
Before Koga could ask what had happened, the grieving man asked, his voice tired and hoarse, “You there. What is your name?”
 
Koga looked towards him, assessing. He was of medium build for a human. Dark tufts of hair peeked out from under his helmet. His complexion was pale, if only slightly olive. His features were handsome, but his dark eyes were full of melancholy---to be expected after witnessing such slaughter. Koga had to break eye contact as the man's pain was unbearable.
 
He pointed to himself. “Me?”
 
“Yes.” The man's voice was soft.
 
“I'm Koga.”
 
“I am Zakath, Emperor of Mallorea.” His body trembled slightly and his angular eyes narrowed in exhaustion. “I must thank-you for your assistance---Koga.”
 
“You don't need to thank me,” Koga grumbled. “I didn't do anything.”
 
“On behalf of my country, I believe I do.” Zakath looked towards the few remaining soldiers left alive. “Please, accompany my army to our camp. It's all I can offer in return for your assistance.”
 
Koga glanced towards his silent pack-mates. Shrugging his shoulders, he replied, “Why not. Just as long as the she-wolf is welcome.”
 
“Of course. I would have it no other way. She will be a most honored guest.” A tired smile crossed his lips. “Belgarath would flay me alive if I didn't treat her with the utmost respect.”
 
The she-wolf stared at the Emperor of Mallorea with unblinking green eyes. She commented, “What a most remarkable man-thing.”
 
“No shit,” Koga muttered under his breath. Just what had he gotten himself into this time?