Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Eighty One ( Chapter 81 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Check out my livejournal for more information on updates and review responses. It can be found here:  http://farawayeyes4.livejournal.com/

The oppressive quiet draped over the tent like a suffocating blanket. Inside her barrier, Rin felt cut off from the battle she knew to be raging outside. Time had lost its meaning. She wasn't certain if it had been a few minutes or hours since Sesshomaru had departed. All she could do was dutifully wait for his return.

Silence soothed Rin---usually. With her lord's taciturn nature, she was used to it. This was different. Instead of being comfortable, it was confining. The little girl wanted to hum---just to break up the monotony---but didn't dare. It would disrupt her focus, and she needed all of it on her barrier. Nevertheless, Rin found the stillness unnerving.

Next to her, Shippo sat still. The small lantern above cast dim shadows on his face. He huddled close to her, his green eyes wary. His small frame was wound tight. The little boy's tail lashed wildly with apprehension. Shippo was ready to flee at a moment's notice. His anxiety added to the thick tension inside the tent.

A weariness settled over Rin. Maintaining her barrier was a strenuous task. Several times she had to patch its fabric and reestablish her concentration. Using her Will for this amount of time exhausted her. Misgivings tightened her chest. What if she couldn't keep it up until her lord returned? Taking a shaky breath, Rin closed her eyes and attempted to refocus her attention yet again.

To Rin's dismay, it seemed that everything was working against her. Distractions seemed to abound. Shippo's tail lashed against the tent wall, the swishing sound grating on her ears. The little boy edged even closer, flattening himself to the blankets. It felt as if he were directly on top of her. It made the small space of the tent that much more cramped.

Stray thoughts about the evening floated by the more she tried to concentrate. Most were mundane in nature: the simple supper she had shared with Sesshomaru and the fox kit; how she had enjoyed the pleasant stroll through the glen with her lord; his gentleness as he had tenderly brushed her hair; the pure joy of star gazing with him before bed. Each action was so ordinary---and yet they stuck out to her in stark relief.

To make matters worse, Rin's legs throbbed. A sharp pain stabbed into her lower back. Her head felt heavy on her shoulders. An intense tingling sensation centered itself at the nape of her neck. It had to be from using her Will for so long. Despite being inside the tent, away from the cool night air, the little girl felt chilled.

Rin sighed, shaking her head. She had to remain focused. She thought about what Poledra had taught her. She had told the little girl to envision a solid blue and for it to envelope her. She could clearly see it in her mind, honing in on it intently to maintain it as a solid reality.

A soft touch brushed across her shield---almost imperceptibly. It caressed subtly, as if it was looking for something---or someone. Rin grit her teeth and redoubled her efforts. As if from a great distance, the little girl heard her name. It sounded hollow, and it had been so quiet that Rin had nearly missed it.

The little girl's eyes flew open, and she looked down at Shippo. Softly, she asked, “Shippo-kun?”

The little boy shot up and began to tremble violently. He asked, his voice shaky, “Rin-sama?”

“Did you say something?”

“N-no.” Shippo crouched down again, his frightened gaze trained upon the tent flap. His hands clenched and unclenched and his tail flicked violently---as if the little boy would explode from the tension. He seemed expectant, anticipating someone---or something---to crash into the tent with them. “No, I didn't, Rin-sama.”

“Oh,” Rin replied. She shrugged her shoulders and dismissed it. She must be overtired and hearing things. Again, she refocused on her barrier. Blue. Blue. Blue. It became a mantra, one she clung tightly to, needing it to anchor her Will to the barrier encasing the tent.

“Rin.”

Startled, Rin gasped. There was no mistaking it this time. She had clearly heard her name. It was such a faint sound inside her mind. She knew that Shippo hadn't uttered it. It also didn't sound like Sesshomaru or Poledra. Their minds were distinct and familiar to her now. If it wasn't one them, then who was it?

A chill went down Rin's spine. On the edge of her mental vision, the little girl picked upon a murky red that appeared nearly black. Had they been discovered by a Grolim? It just didn't match a Grolim's glossy black. It was different. In its touch, Rin felt malice, bitterness, and a strange sorrow. It nagged at Rin. This peculiar mind seemed familiar---but why?

Steeling her resolve, the little girl sharpened her attention. She had to keep whomever that was at bay. She had to return to her mantra. Rin had to be here---safe---when her lord returned. She would not break her promise to Sesshomaru. She knew her word was everything, and that he would hold her to it.

Pride blossomed inside Rin. She could not let this attacker break her barrier. Too many times she had needed her lord's rescue---especially since arriving in this foreign world. She would not fail him yet again. Rin knew that she had been given this power for a reason. She would prove that her petite frame could handle it. Squeezing her eyes shut, she repeated the word blue to herself in earnest.

The little girl also had more than herself to consider. Shippo was counting on her to keep him safe. He needed her to remain strong. Glancing down, Rin and the little boy exchanged uneasy looks. To comfort him, she gently squeezed his hand. Shippo returned the gesture---and the little girl drew strength from their connection. An anxious smile crossed Rin's lips. This was a heavy burden, indeed.

“Rin.”

The mind trying to break her barrier became a bit more forceful. Rin tensed up, struggling to strengthen it. She had to avoid a confrontation no matter what. Without Poledra's guidance, there was no way for her to survive it. Her heart thudded loudly in her ears. She had to hang on---she just had to.

Letting Shippo's hand go, the little girl pulled out her amulet. As soon as her hands touched the cool metal, it began to warm and she felt her power flood into it. Rin found her Will that much easier to concentrate, her barrier all the more concrete. She traced the intricate design on its front, the life-like image of her lord giving her strength.

A vibrant ultramarine saturated Rin's mental vision. She lost herself in its security. In it, she found an inner peace. The more the little girl basked in it, the more relaxed she became. Its richness left Rin awestruck. She could feel it wrap around her like a secure cocoon. It made her feel safe.

On the fringes, however, a dark red began to seep into it. Rin tried to push it away, finding it distasteful. Clasping her amulet tightly, Rin combated the invading somber and stained crimson with a deep cerulean. This malevolent mind would not push its way in. Rin wouldn't let it.

The visage of an old man filled Rin's mind. The white hair and short cropped beard were the same, but the eyes were starkly different. Instead of a merry blue, these were almost black. Sorrow resided in their depths. No mischievous smile upturned the corners of the mouth. In its place a rueful grimace marred it. It looked so much like Belgarath---and yet Rin knew it could not be him.

“Rin.”

Her moment of inattention had provided an opening. Before she realized it, Rin felt her barrier melt away. Hastily, she tried to restore it, but to no avail. Now that there was no buffer between her and this mind, she recoiled from its darkness. Its malice and despair overwhelmed her. Rin tried to break free and close her mind off only to discover---to her horror---that they were tied.

“Rin.”

Rin trembled, her grip on her amulet crushing. She asked shakily, “Who---who are you?”

“A friend. Don't be afraid. I won't hurt you.”

Platinum moonlight filtered through the trees. It gave the clearing a hazy and indistinct appearance. The acrid smell of smoke from a fire wafted into the little girl's nose. It crackled pleasantly and warmed the cold, hard ground. The fire's soft, orange glow mesmerized her, the flames dancing playfully.

Shaking her head, Rin dispelled the images. It wasn't real. She knew that no moon hung in the sky tonight. She sat inside a tent. The only light came from a small lantern, not from a fire. She wasn't alone; Shippo huddled next to her. Then, where had that image come from---and why did it feel like she had been there before?
Rin glanced down towards the fox kit. He sat still, staring ahead. The lack of alertness in his green eyes bothered her. Gently, she shook him, hoping to rouse him. Shippo's head lolled on his shoulders. Rin felt her hair stand on end. A Grolim must have done this to the little boy.

The shriek of a bird pierced the night. Without her barrier, the sounds from outside rushed inside the tent. In the distance, shouts and the clash of steel on steel could be heard. Thunderous detonations rattled the little girl. Her entire body hummed with the amount of power being released. Between the physical sounds of battle and the numbing rumble from inside her head, Rin couldn't think. She clenched her teeth and clapped her hands over her ears in a futile attempt to block it all.

“Rin, listen to me. You're not safe. There are too many Grolims near you.”

From across the fire, Rin saw the same old man from before. His onyx eyes transfixed her. The more she stared into their somber depths, the safer she felt. Somehow she knew this man---and Rin knew she could trust him. A small, gentle smile crossed his lips. It set the little girl at ease, driving all the deafening noise away. All of her earlier disgust upon seeing this man's face disappeared. It vexed her that she couldn't recall his name.

Where had she seen this man before? Had it been in the glen she had seen earlier? Why would she have been out there with him? It just didn't make sense. Who was this man that looked so much like Belgarath? Snippets of conversation they must have had filtered through her thoughts: an anecdote about a burned scroll; a discussion about sorcery; the method on how to create fire.

Hesitantly, Rin asked, “Makor-sama?”  

“Yes. Good. You do remember me.”

“Where are you?”

“I'm not far away. Come meet me. You're not safe where you are. I'll guide you.”

Rin bit her lip. The little girl looked at the oblivious fox kit. “But Makor-sama, Rin is not alone. She doesn't want to leave Shippo-kun behind.”

“It'll be alright. Don't worry, Rin. They're looking for you, not him. I'll keep you safe. I promise you, Rin.”

Shippo sat absolutely still, like a statue. His eyes were glazed over and vacant. It was the complete opposite of earlier. All the tension had been replaced by an eerie calm. Not even his tail moved.

“Are you sure, Makor-sama? No one will hurt Shippo-kun?”

“I'm positive. It's you, on the other hand, that I worry about. In fact, your presence may be the very thing putting him in danger.”

“Rin's putting Shippo-kun in danger?”
The little girl fingered the chain on her amulet.

“Yes. The Grolims are looking for you. You must come join me to keep both of you safe. You have no time to waste.”

Rin drew her knees to her chest. She had a sudden desire to be very small. “Rin promised Sesshomaru-sama that she would be here when he came back.”

“I'm afraid that you might not be there and safe if you don't join me. I'll keep you safe.”

The little girl gripped her amulet in her fist. Turning it over in her hand, Rin traced the intricate design on its front with a finger. Lovingly, she outlined the crescent moon on Sesshomaru's forehead. From there, she moved down his back and finally to the tip of his tail. This life-like image strengthened her resolve to stay put.

“Rin doesn't break her promises to Sesshomaru-sama.”

“I understand your reservations at leaving the tent, Rin, but the Grolims are closing in on you. You won't have a choice then; you'll leave the tent. They'll make you. I'll keep you safe, and as soon as the danger passes, I'll return you to your lord.”

Rin fingered the fabric of her yukata. She traced a silver lily. “You promise to return Rin to Sesshomaru-sama as soon as the danger is past?”

“Yes, Rin. I promise. Your safety is important to me---as it is to your lord. You must make haste, however. They're getting closer, and you don't want to put Shippo in any danger.”

“It's so dark outside. What if the Grolims find her before she can reach you, Makor-sama?”

“As long as you can hear my voice, you'll be safe. As for the darkness, remember my little green light? You can make something like that.”

Rin gently grasped Shippo's hand. Even though he didn't respond in kind, she whispered, “Stay safe, Shippo-kun.”

The little girl let his hand go and took a deep breath. She could do this. For Shippo's sake, she had to do this. Slowly, Rin stood. She pushed aside the tent flap and stepped out into the night.

Rin sent out her thought, “Okay, Makor-sama. Rin is coming to meet you.”

“Good. Head straight until I tell you otherwise.”

Holding her hand palm side up, Rin envisioned a small blue globe sitting in it. Her Will built slowly, and as she whispered the word light, it flowed into reality. It provided enough illumination to reveal a path, casting eerie blue shadows in the clearing. Looking ahead, the little girl spotted a small gap in the trees. Stepping gingerly on her still sore ankle, Rin headed straight as Makor had instructed.

In the gloom, the trees loomed out of the darkness. They took on scraggy appearances. Branches seemed to reach out, grasping at her clothes and her hair. Tree roots nagged at her feet, tripping her several times. The leaves rustled from a light, cool breeze. Rin shivered, cursing herself for forgetting her cloak.

An immense explosion thundered through the thicket. Rin yelped and dropped to her knees. Her blue light flickered out, plunging her into utter darkness. Panic flooded her. Through the branches, the little girl spotted the bright fire of burning trees. Had she inadvertently stumbled into the battle?

As loud and startling as the physical detonation had been, the thunderclap inside her head had been stunning. Rin crushed her hands to her ears and curled into a tight ball. Tears streaked down her cheeks. It felt as if she was being attacked on all sides. Incapacitated and numbed by the constant rumble, Rin wasn't sure if she could continue.

“You're doing fine, Rin. Just keep going straight.”

“It's so loud, “Makor-sama. Rin doesn't' think she can.”
The little girl huddled on the ground, trembling.

“You can. You're passing on the battle's flank. You don't have that much farther to go.”

“Are you sure, Makor-sama?”

“Yes. You can trust me.”

“Okay, Makor-sama.”

“Keep going. You're so close.”

The little girl slowly stood, drawing upon her determination. She reignited her little blue globe of light. Rin took a few shaky steps, her ankle sore. She grit her teeth against the unrelenting wall of noise washing over her. The little girl had no choice but to keep going. She couldn't go back to the tent---but she couldn't stay here, either. With all of the Grolims nearby, Rin had to find Makor and soon.

The uneven terrain challenged Rin. It forced her to focus on her footing and less on the barrage of sound. There was no time to be afraid. Steadily, as the little girl left the battle behind, the darker and quieter it became. Rin was grateful for this, although she knew the danger persisted. It now just seemed that she had been walking forever.

“Stop.”

Startled, Rin jumped. She peered into the gloom, not spotting the old man. Why would he stop her if she hadn't joined him? In the shadows, it felt as if the trees were closing in on her. She almost expected an attack to launch from their underbrush---flashes of dark wolves painted terrifying pictures in her mind. She imagined the tall wolf-demon lunging for her, finishing what he had started all those years ago. Had she been led into a trap?”

Rin huddled in on herself. She asked hesitantly, “Makor-sama?”

Dispelling the dark imagery that taunted her was the tranquil picture of a small clearing. It soothed the little girl. There was a robust fire crackling merrily. It called to her. Rin huddled further in on herself as the chilly night air penetrated her body. Next to the inviting fire sat Makor. He patted the ground next to her, a soft, inviting smile crossing his leathered face.
“Now, Rin, I want you to imagine yourself in that glen. Translocate yourself here.”

Rin bit her lip. “Okay, Makor-sama.”

She extinguished the small blue light. Gathering her Will, Rin felt the power build, drawing itself into a tight ball at the base of her skull. She pictured herself sitting with Makor by the fire. She shuddered, feeling the brisk night air nip through the silk of her yukata. The more she stared into the fire inside her mind, the more she wanted to warm herself by it.

When she couldn't stand the tingling anymore, Rin said, “Go there.”

It might not have been a fancy command, but she felt her power flood out in a rush. The world muffled around her---and for a brief moment she felt bodiless. It felt surreal to be in this in-between. And then, suddenly, she was sitting next to that fire, squinting from its radiance.

“Makor-sama?” Rin asked softly, spotting the old man seated on the other side.

Makor stood, brushing off his stained brown tunic. His somber, dark eyes penetrated her---and for a moment, Rin felt cold under his gaze. He smiled wide, crinkles creasing around his eyes. The expression warmed the little girl, setting her at ease. Makor said, a rich warm timbre to his soft voice, “You made it, Rin.”

“Rin did it,” the little girl confirmed. She smiled wide, feeling pride in her accomplishment. She held her hands over the crackling fire, feeling its heat permeate her chilled body. “Rin's grateful for the fire, Makor-sama.”

“It's still not safe here, Rin.” Makor's dark eyes darted around, his expression wary. The old man held his hand over the fire, palm down. Slowly, it dimmed and flickered out. “We have just a little more to go.”

The old man turned away from her and gestured for her to follow. He held his palm up, the little green orb appearing in it. Makor headed towards a looming shadow rising up in the darkness. It looked black and distorted in the eerie gloom of his light.

“Well, Rin, are you coming?”

Rin pulled her eyes back to Makor's retreating figure. She stumbled in a rush to catch up and tripped, falling into his back. The old man wavered, but didn't fall. Rin cast her eyes down in humiliation. How could she have been so careless?

“Rin's so sorry, Makor-sama.” Rin bowed multiple times, trying to placate the strange old sorcerer. “She didn't mean to.”

“Don't be. It's dark outside tonight.” A tight apprehension filled his voice. “Come, let's go inside.”

They stopped in front of a squat tower. Makor put his hand onto a smooth stone and whispered a word. Rin felt his Will tug on her a moment, the sound a hushed whisper. Slowly, a door slid open, the stones grating on one another as it responded to his command. It revealed a small staircase that wound up in a tight and narrow space. Makor entered inside, slowly climbing up them.

“Careful, Rin. One of the steps is loose.”

Rin paid close attention to her footing as she made her way up the steps after him. She felt one of them shift under her bare-feet and curled her toes to keep her balance.

Once they were upstairs, there was a small round room. It was stark, only furnished by a small table, cabinet, and bed. On the fireplace hung a black pot. The smells of a stew wafted to Rin's nose---and her stomach growled, betraying her hunger. Rin stood near the doorway, uncertain if she should take a seat or not.

Makor pulled out a chair from the table in the center of the room. “Come. Sit.”

Dutifully, Rin bowed and did as told.

The clatter of bowls being taken out drew the little girl's attention. Makor ladled stew into each and put them onto the table. He set down spoons next to them and gestured that she should eat.

Rin smiled and said, “Thank you, Makor-sama.”

“The pleasure is all mine.” Makor smiled and the little girl noticed its insincerity before the notion floated away. Makor had been nothing but kind---she had no reason to mistrust him. In place of her dread, Rin felt relaxed the longer she held his dark gaze.

Slowly, Rin ate her stew, savoring the rich flavors of the meat. It wasn't as good as Polgara's meals, but with her hunger, she wouldn't refuse it. The longer she ate, the better she felt. Since the battle had broken out, Rin felt secure for the first time. She was safe---protected by Makor until her lord could come.

“I'm glad you're enjoying my humble fare. It's been awhile since anyone's eaten my food.” Makor ate his own, chewing slowly. He winked at her, the playful expression seeming somewhat forced. “Beats being out there with a bunch of those nasty Grolims looking for you. They probably wouldn't even like lamb stew.”

Rin giggled. “You're funny, Makor-sama.”

“I am, am I?” A pained smile crossed his lined face. “I don't think anyone's said that about me in a long time.”

“Oh.” Rin looked down at  her half finished bowl. “Well, you're welcome, Makor-sama.”

“On a serious note, Rin, I want to commend you on your courage. To make it out here on your own, knowing how dangerous and dark it is, you displayed so much strength,” Makor said, his voice hushed.

“Thank-you, Makor-sama.” Rin glanced down. She held up her palm and willed her blue globe into it. “It helped that Rin had this to see by.”

The small blue globe took on an incandescent glow inside the tower. It fit snuggly in Rin's small hand and cast brilliant shadows on the wall. Its light shaded Makor's beard and hair a deep cerulean. The globe pulsed, projecting its light as if it were alive.

“The size of a child's heart,” Makor whispered. He reached towards it, as if he was going to pluck it from her palm.

Rin offered it to him. “You can look at it, Makor-sama. Rin doesn't mind.”

The old sorcerer hesitated, his hand clenching into a fist just above it. “I mustn't.”

Silence settled over them for a moment. Rin looked down at her sphere, transfixed by its color. She had never taken the time to really look at the power she had---not when it was made manifest as it was now.  She found it dazzling and empowering. She had created this amazing thing---all with the power of her mind. It made her wonder what else she could do with this gift.

In her mind, she saw a similar orb, one that flickered and shone with a beautiful light. It eclipsed hers in its brilliance. This blue orb seemed familiar, and she remembered seeing it rest on the pommel of a massive sword. Its wielder had a cruel expression on his plain face, and Rin shied away from the sandy haired man she saw. It bothered her that she couldn't remember his name. She knew she should know the man's name---that he was a friend not foe---but she couldn't shake the image of his harsh face. The longer she saw it, the more she felt deep hatred for him. It felt strange, consuming, and total. Evil burned in the man's blue eyes, boring into her. Rin steeled herself, knowing him now to be her enemy.

Inside her mind, the orb's polished surface called to her, and Rin felt a strong compulsion to take it. She would keep it safe from this man. The blue stone called to her as nothing had ever before, seducing her with its blue fire and exquisite surface. Rin wanted nothing more than to hold it in her hands---to take it away from this bad man. It would only make her more powerful---make her able to fight back against her enemies. Rin had to have this orb---as soon as possible. She would do anything to have it.

“Yes, Rin. You need to recover that stone for me,” Makor's voice floated into her ears.

Rin continued to stare into her blue globe, imagining it to be this orb. She could feel it call to her---almost feel its weight resting in her palm. She replied, her voice detached, “Yes, Makor-sama.”

“Good girl.” Makor curled her hand over her globe, extinguishing it. “It'll take time, Rin. Just do as I say and you'll get it.”

“Okay, Makor-sama. Rin listens well.”

Makor pulled his hand back and resumed eating his stew. He gestured at hers. “Eat, Rin. You'll need your strength.”

Rin smiled dutifully, doing as told.

The sounds of silverware clinking on their bowls filled the room. It was a comfortable silence, one that made Rin feel relaxed. The meal was good and the company was pleasant.

Rin looked up and frowned as she caught the old man's expression. A forlorn scowl crossed his weathered features, and it seemed as if Makor was focusing on something intently. He looked lost and wistful. Makor kept his eyes trained on the table---as if his dark eyes might bore through it. Rin didn't want to disturb his contemplations, but she reached across, placing her hand over his. He turned his hand over, grasping hers, the skin rough.

“Tell me about your lord---this Sesshomaru-sama you travel with,” Makor whispered.

Rin stared at their joined hands, feeling oddly compelled to speak. She said, “Sesshomaru-sama saved Rin from the bad wolves. She can never repay him for his kindness.”

“I see.” Makor squeezed her hand gently. “Go on. Do you like traveling with him?”

Rin bit her lip, thinking. She nodded yes. “Rin loves traveling with her lord. He makes her feel safe.” The little girl lifted her eyes, meeting the old man's. “Sesshomaru-sama makes Rin feel loved. Everyone sees him as this powerful Demon Lord. They think he's cold and indifferent to everything around him---but Rin knows better. She knows what lies beneath. He shares his true self with her everyday.”

Rin felt peculiar. The more she spoke, the more she felt compelled to say more. Rin knew that her lord valued his privacy and that he valued it most when it concerned his relationship with her. It was a privilege---not a right---to be in his presence. Since they began this journey, that intimacy had only increased. Yet, Rin couldn't help the words tumbling free. It was as if something had burst inside---that the secrets she kept about Sesshomaru and their bond had to be finally brought forth and shared with this morose man.

“How does he show you, Rin?” Makor asked, his eyes boring into her.

Rin took a breath, fighting the urge to speak. She didn't want to say more, but her tongue nearly tripped over itself as she told the old sorcerer---the one that so resembled Belgarath---everything. She said, “He watches over Rin. He makes sure she rests. Sesshomaru-sama protects her from anything---from the bad wolves, from anyone who wants to hurt her.” Rin paused, feeling overwhelmed at putting into words what she knew to be true about her lord. She whispered, reverence in her voice, “But he shows her most when he takes care of her. He's tender when he helps her---like he did with her hurt ankle. He does it when he serves her supper---even if Rin thinks she should serve him instead. Sesshomaru-sama shows her when he gently brushes her hair. He does it when he buys her outfits like this yukata. Sesshomaru-sama does it in so many gestures that he doesn't have to say he loves Rin. Rin knows.”

“But he wasn't there to protect you tonight,” Makor asserted.

Rin's nose wrinkled as she thought of a reason to defend her lord. The longer she hesitated, the harder it was to come up with one. As fast as the words had tumbled from her lips earlier, now she could only draw blanks. She cast her eyes down and whispered, “No. Sesshomaru-sama left Rin.”

“He did. What does that say about him?” Makor squeezed her hand tightly. “If he speaks so much through action---,”

The old man left it dangle---and Rin felt the first tendrils of doubt curl in her stomach. What if Sesshomaru didn't come for her? What if, now that she was different, he chose to leave her? She had made so many mistakes. Perhaps she had made one too many.

A flash of Sesshomaru's ethereal face filled her vision. Instead of the softened expression he reserved just for her, Rin was confronted with his harsh gold eyes. A cruel smirk crossed his lips. This was how her nightmares always started---and it was only second to reliving her death. Her lord would reject her, turning away from her---coldly condemning her to exile. His soft, smooth voice taunted, “This Sesshomaru should have left you for the carrion after the wolves killed you, weak human.”

The nightmare tugged at her. Rin felt despondent at his vicious words. She always feared this day would come. To further the sting of his rejection, her lord said, his expression cold, “This Sesshomaru has no need nor does he care for a human girl. Leave.”

The painful images and words numbed the little girl. As they faded, Rin felt her spirit break. Unemotionally, she said, “Rin understands, Makor-sama. It'd be best if she stayed here---with you.”

Makor smiled, a triumphant glint in the depths of his charcoal eyes. “Yes, Rin. It would be very good indeed. After all, it's clear he no longer cares for you---if he ever did.”

Rin nodded. She said, her voice cold, “Then Rin can longer care for him.”

Check out my livejournal for more information on updates and review responses. It can be found here:  http://farawayeyes4.livejournal.com/