Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Ninety-Four ( Chapter 94 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: I do not own either Inuyasha or the Belgariad/Malloreon series. Inuyasha belongs to Rumiko Takahashi/VIZ and the Belgariad/Malloreon belongs to David Eddings/DEL Rey. There is absolutely no profit being made from this story. It merely fulfills a curiosity of mine---and a desire to keep some really old friends around for as long as possible. Please do not sue.

Check out my dreamwidth journal for more information on updates and review responses. It can be found here: https://farawayeyes4.dreamwidth.org/
Note: This story updates the 17th of EVERY month.

Chapter Ninety-Four
Trudging towards the pack-horses, Shippo kept his eyes trained upon the ground. His shoulders slumped, and he sighed heavily. Unstrapping his tent, he tottered as its weight dropped onto his back. Shippo carted the awkward bundle towards an empty spot near Sesshomaru and Rin's tent. He dropped it unceremoniously and began the arduous task of erecting his tent.

The little boy untangled a rope with nimble fingers. He set it aside, picking up the coiled mess comprising his other ropes. They were knotted, requiring more patience. He tugged one end only to have it pull a tighter knot towards the center. Shippo clenched a tiny fist, fighting the urge to set the whole lot ablaze with his fox fire. He slid the end under one coil, working it loose. As he came to the crux of the snarl, however, he became even more frustrated. Shippo slammed the rope pile onto the ground, disgusted.

Shippo had kept quiet throughout supper, mulling over the last few days. He mused that if he was indeed no longer worthy to be the Demon Lord's student, he would rather know now than later. Hot tears welled in his eyes. The little boy knew that he was partially responsible for what had happened to Rin. He was a demon. She was human---no matter the power she had. In Sesshomaru's absence, Shippo should have kept her safe. Instead, he had cowered next to her and then he had fallen asleep. It had allowed Rin's abductor to steal her away. Now Shippo knew that Sesshomaru would reject him. He had failed his sensei before he'd even begun.

Shippo managed to untie the ropes. He laid them flat and prepared to drive a pole into the dirt. The hard ground repelled his attempts, barely denting under his repeated jabs. This only fueled his frustration all the more. Not only had he failed to protect Rin, he couldn't even complete the simple task of pitching his own tent.

Shippo cursed softly, stabbing the pole into the ground. It bounced, the force vibrating through the metal. It'd be morning by the time he erected his tent. The little boy twisted the pole, trying to sink at least one into the compact dirt. A small divot appeared, but it didn't seem to do much good.

“Need a hand?” Durnik's soft voice asked. The plain-faced blacksmith gripped the pole. “Ground around here seems to have a bit of permafrost. Takes a bit more muscle to set up a tent.”

Shippo watched Durnik as he raised the pole. He slammed it down hard, his muscular arms rippling with the effort. With one strike, he sank the pole to the right depth. The blacksmith twisted it, making certain it was sturdy.

“Why don't you tie the ropes and I'll get the stakes and poles in place?” Durnik asked, picking up another pole. “We'll get your tent ready in no time.”

Shippo blushed and grabbed a rope. He bowed awkwardly. “Yes, Durnik-sama.”

A troubled frown crossed Durnik's face. “You don't have to bow like that to me, Shippo. I'm not important enough for all of that.”

Shippo scuffed a foot into the dirt, self-conscious. He said, his head bowed, “Sesshomaru-sensei told me that I should.”

“Oh.” A pensive expression crossed his face as he drove the next pole into the earth. He said softly, “I suppose that he would.”

A comfortable silence settled over them as they focused on the task at hand. Durnik had a no-nonsense manner about him as he worked. He tugged on each pole, making certain it wouldn't dislodge easily. He stepped back, eying the poles critically. A pleased smile flickered across his face, and he nodded in satisfaction. Durnik took a hammer and pounded each stake into the ground, the motion second nature. Shippo found himself transfixed by his rhythmic actions.

Rousing himself from his stupor, Shippo followed Durnik's example. He tied a rope to each stake, making sure the knots cinched tight. Once all were tied, Shippo double checked each rope, tugging hard to test their tautness. The fox kit brushed his hands across his chest, appraising his work with satisfaction.

“Good, Shippo. Always take pride in your work,” Durnik praised. He picked up the tent fabric. “No matter what, even if no one else can see it, do you best work. The smallest detail matters. You'll know that it's there.”

Shippo nodded dutifully. “Yes, Durnik-sama.”

The fox kit grabbed one end of the fabric, and together they shook out the dirt and wrinkles. They draped it over the poles and secured it in place with their ropes, making sure it wouldn't blow away. Once completed, Shippo and Durnik admired their handiwork.

“Not bad if I say so myself, Shippo,” Durnik said, dusting his hands across his brown hose. “It'll keep the rain from falling on you, at least.”

Shippo bowed again. “Thank you, Durnik-sama.”

“It was no trouble.”

The little boy turned to enter his tent, his head down.

“Something bothering you, Shippo?”

Shippo shook his head. He whispered, a slight tremor in his voice, “No, Durnik-sama.”

“Sit, Shippo.” Durnik sat down cross-legged. A small disapproving frown crossed his lips. “You know, lying isn't a good habit---no matter what Silk says.”

“I---,” Shippo began, unsure where to start. He crumpled into a heap, his head down. Hot tears stung his eyes. Angrily, Shippo brushed one away. “I---I messed up, and I think it means Sesshomaru-sensei won't want to teach me anymore.”

“I see.” Durnik sighed softly. “Just what do you think you've done wrong?”

Shippo picked at some grass, keeping his eyes on the ground. He hadn't talked to anyone outside their small group. Besides, Durnik had always been so quiet and unobtrusive. Yet, as he sat with this gentle man, Shippo felt comfortable. Perhaps he could get some advice---all from an outside perspective. Asking his father may lead to another heated argument between the two brothers---and if it should go too far, the Demon Lord would certainly revoke his offer for sure.

Looking up, Shippo said softly, “It's my fault Rin-sama was taken.”

“What makes you think that?”

“She's human. I'm demon. I should have protected her for Sesshomaru-sensei. He'll never forgive me for this.”

“Oh.” A stern expression crossed Durnik's plain features. “You don't think it's a little presumptuous of you to think you know Sesshomaru's mind? How do you know he won't forgive you?”

Shippo's lip trembled, and he felt more tears slide down his cheeks. “I just do.”

“I wasn't aware that you could read minds,” Durnik replied nonchalantly. He put a gentle hand on Shippo's shoulder. “What happened with Rin isn't your fault. If I'm understanding what did happen, then Zedar is the only one to blame. He took her, and my guess is that only one person could have done something to stop him: Belgarath. Believe me, I lost in my only meeting with the Apostate. You didn't do anything wrong.”

Shippo wiped away another tear. He fidgeted. “But I should have tried harder! Rin-sama needed me!”

“I think that you were at a great disadvantage and you can't take the blame for his underhanded tactics.” Durnik's eyes hardened, and worry lines crinkled his forehead. “People like him are absolute cowards, you know. They hide behind the worst tricks and avoid facing an opponent with honor. You have a lot of honor if this upsets you this much, Shippo.”

“I---I do?” The little boy hiccuped.

“Yes.” Durnik's expression softened. “I may not know a lot about demons, but I do know about honor. Sesshomaru follows a strict code of ethics. He would never blame you for what happened to Rin. He has far too much honor himself to do so.”

“But what do I do?” Shippo's breath hitched as he tried to fight his tears.

“You simply learn everything he can teach you.” Durnik squeezed his shoulder. “Look to his example. As long as you're trying to do the right thing, you'll never have to worry that you've failed Sesshomaru. Just like when we set up this tent, look to do everything with integrity, Shippo. It's what he'd ask you to do.”

Shippo nodded enthusiastically. “Yes, Durnik-sama.”

“I'm glad I could help ease your mind, Shippo.” Durnik stood. “You'll be just fine. Just remember what I said. Always do the right thing.”

“I will!” Shippo bowed low. “Thank you, Durnik-sama.”

“You're welcome.”

Durnik walked towards the small camp fire, tending its flame.

“This Sesshomaru sees that you've inherited one of your father's worst habits.” Sesshomaru's soft baritone startled the fox kit. “Come, boy. We have much to discuss.”

“Yes, Sesshomaru-sensei.” Shippo bowed low to Sesshomaru.

The Demon Lord gracefully walked towards the outskirts of camp, and Shippo scampered behind. Once they were in a small clearing, Sesshomaru sat down on a tree stump. His cool gold eyes penetrated the fox kit, scrutinizing him. With a graceful wave of his hand, he indicated that Shippo should take a seat.

“This Sesshomaru hopes you took the blacksmith's advice to heart. What happened to Rin is not your fault. You have done nothing wrong,” Sesshomaru began.

Shippo nodded. “Yes---,”

Sesshomaru held up his hand, silencing Shippo. “This Sesshomaru is not finished, boy. You do not shoulder the responsibility for Rin's safety. That is my concern. However, it is admirable that you would wish to protect her in my absence. What happened to you could have very well happened to this Sesshomaru. This sorcerer cur hid behind cowardly mind tricks---and from a great distance. He blindsided you, and that is also not your fault. Do not emulate your father's tendency to shoulder guilt that is not his own. It serves no purpose and will only cause you unnecessary strife. That, we cannot afford.”

Shippo bowed low. “Yes, Sesshomaru-sensei.”

“Excellent.” Pensive crinkles creased Sesshomaru's crescent moon. “That being said, this Sesshomaru apologizes for the delay in your first lesson. We may begin now. Have you thought about what you know about your abilities?”

“Yes, Sesshomaru-sensei.” Shippo sat, his hands cupping his feet. “I know the basics of fox fire, transformation, and how to use some illusions.”

“Show me.”

The little boy held up a hand, the palm open. He conjured his fox fire into it, the color a brilliant green. It flared and fluctuated, encasing his hand.

“Good.” Sesshomaru studied his fox fire. “Now, boy, tell me how you did it.”

Shippo's fox fire wavered. It flickered, dancing wildly in his palm. “I---I just thought about it being there, and it was, Sesshomaru-sensei.”

“I see.” A disappointed frown crossed the Demon Lord's aristocratic features. “Then we shall remain with just your fox fire until such time you can explain how it works to this Sesshomaru. To try and understand your other skills at this stage would only muddy the waters. Try harder. Think, boy. Where does it come from?”

Shame flooded Shippo's cheeks. He hadn't had an answer to Sesshomaru's question, and that had made him seem beyond hopeless. He stared at his fox fire until it withered and went out.

“Well, boy?”

Shippo bit his lip, his head down. He rested his hand on a knee and let his fox fire spark again. It just happened. He had always been able to call upon it. Shippo clenched his fist, extinguishing it. Each time he opened his palm it sprang anew. What allowed this emerald fire to flare to life? What did he tap into?

Stumped, the little boy crushed the fire in his hand. He whispered in defeat, “I---I don't know, Sesshomaru-sensei.”

“Boy, watch this Sesshomaru closely.” The Demon Lord held up his hand, the fingers glowing an eerie yellow. “How do I call forth my whip this way? How does it differ from my poison?”

Sesshomaru's fingertips took on a green hue, the claws dripping a small amount of the potent acid. It sizzled as it spattered the ground. He clenched his hand, and the poison stopped.

“What am I doing when I call upon these powers? What must I tap into?”

Shippo chewed on a thumbnail. When the Demon Lord had brought his powers to the surface, something had fluctuated. The little boy stared at Sesshomaru, studying him. The Demon Lord called upon each of his powers again, and Shippo realized there was something they drew upon. It flared around him, almost unseen by its brief red flicker.

Shippo smiled wide, showing his fangs. “You're drawing it from your aura, Sesshomaru-sensei.”

“Precisely, boy.” Sesshomaru allowed his hand to rest at his side. “Each one is a bit different. My whip is a manifestation of my aura. This Sesshomaru's poison, however, is a natural reservoir that my aura can unleash as needed. Now, focus on your aura. It is the only way to make your fox fire more potent.”

“Yes, Sesshomaru-sensei.”

The little boy looked down at his hand, conjuring his fox fire again. He frowned when it barely ignited. Somehow, understanding where it came from made it harder to use. He clenched his fist and tried again.

“Do not think, boy. Feel.”

Shippo closed his eyes. He could feel the power inside him eddy and flow. The fox kit had never truly taken the time to simply feel his aura. So often, he called upon his fox fire with little awareness. Now, he could feel it swell inside him like a glowing candle. Shippo knew the instant it ignited around him. It crackled, tendrils brushing against the world around him---and the Demon Lord's overpowering aura.

Shippo opened his eyes and the fire that ignited blinded him with is brilliance. It dazzled as it flickered on his palm. The fox fire had a tangibility that had never been there before. Shippo realized that his aura fed into it, strengthening it by huge increments.

“Good,” Sesshomaru praised. “You will be practicing this until you master it. Your aura will be the source of all your power. Any skill you have will only be as strong as it is.”

“Yes, Sesshomaru-sensei.”

His aura sputtered and went out.

“Summon your aura again, boy.”

Shippo took a deep breath, tapping into his aura once more. It centered itself around his heart. From there, it flowed to surround him. The fox kit tugged on it, feeding the power from the center towards his open palm. It tingled as the strength of his aura grew. Just when the little boy couldn't hold it back any further, he allowed the fire to spark. A blazing green swelled to life.

“Excellent. Now hold it as long as you can.”

Shippo strained, feeling as if he'd fly apart. He clenched his teeth, focusing on keeping his fox fire lit. His aura flowed around him. It sizzled, swelling until it became solid almost like a barrier. Shippo drew more power from the center around his heart. His fox fire flared brightly, its flame shooting upwards.

“Sesshomaru-sama!” Rin's melodious voice called.

It snapped him from his concentration and Shippo gasped as his aura shattered and disappeared.

The little boy turned, looking towards the little girl. He had wanted to be angry with her for her interruption. Upon seeing her brilliant smile, however, he found that he couldn't.

Rin clutched a comb in her hand, her long luscious hair damp. She wore a rich blue yukata decorated with delicate lilies. As she neared, Shippo was stunned by the strength of her aura---it flickered a deep blue, making her outfit seem all the more colorful. Her aura felt different as tendrils of his brushed against hers. It didn't resemble a demon's or a spiritual person's. Instead, it seemed to be wisps of raw power---all centered around the little girl's heart. Rin exuded confidence through it---all without making any effort.

Rousing from his stupor, the little boy bowed low so not to anger Sesshomaru.

The little girl giggled softly. “Belrin doesn't mean to interrupt. She just wants to say goodnight.”

Shippo lifted his head minutely, watching the exchange. A softened expression flickered across the Demon Lord's face. Adoration made his gold eyes shimmer like honey. He nodded in acknowledgment, beckoning her closer. No words were spoken, and yet Shippo was certain that something had passed between them. The little girl gently stroked a finger across one of Sesshomaru's cheek stripes. She cupped his face in her hand, kissing the other cheek. The Demon Lord clutched Rin's hand in his own. She smiled softly and nodded.

Rin stepped closer to Shippo. She bent down, chastely kissing the fox kit on the cheek. “Good night, Shippo-kun.”

Shippo's eyes went wide, his breath caught in his throat. His posture became stiff. Had Rin just kissed his cheek---in front of Sesshomaru? The little boy began to tremble, afraid that this would rouse the Demon Lord's jealous wrath. He gingerly touched the cheek Rin had kissed. “G---goodnight, Rin-sama.”

A deep throated chuckle emanated from Sesshomaru. It made Shippo's head snap fully up, staring at his sensei in wonder. An amused smile tinged the corner of his mouth and a knowing mischievousness twinkled in his eyes. Had the little boy really heard the Demon Lord laugh?

“Sesshomaru-sama---,” Rin admonished, her voice playful. “It's not nice to laugh at Shippo-kun.”

“You wanted to hear this Sesshomaru laugh, did you not?”

The question hung in the air---as if this was a recurring private conversation being resumed.

Sesshomaru chuckled again, the sound contented.

“Oh, Sesshomaru-sama---,” Rin replied in mock exasperation. She laughed, the sound musical and free. She rushed to the Demon Lord, hugging him tightly. He squeezed his arm around her briefly.

Shippo watched the two closely, certain that there was much more going on. Something passed between them again. Somehow, the little boy felt set up. Even so, he found that it didn't bother him. Only his second time observing the pair, Shippo realized there was a profound bond that tethered them together---one he couldn't begin to understand. Yet, this time seemed different from when they had all shared a meal. There was a breeziness---an ease with which the two related to one another. Even in front of him, Shippo realized that the two only felt they could only be their true unfettered selves with one another. Their relationship lacked pretensions. There was something undeniably beautiful about that.

Once Rin let go, she walked gracefully toward the trees. In them, the little boy spotted the eerie gold eyes of the wolf-woman. She smiled mysteriously, her gaze missing nothing. She took Rin's hand, and together they left the clearing. It left Shippo alone with Sesshomaru once more.

Sesshomaru's low voice called his attention. “Again, boy. Call upon your aura again.”

“Yes, Sesshomaru-sensei.”

Check out my dreamwidth journal for more information on updates and review responses. It can be found here: https://farawayeyes4.dreamwidth.org/
Note: This story updates the 17th of EVERY month.