Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Ninety-Five ( Chapter 95 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: I do not own either Inuyasha or the Belgariad/Malloreon series. Inuyasha belongs to Rumiko Takahashi/VIZ and the Belgariad/Malloreon belongs to David Eddings/DEL Rey. There is absolutely no profit being made from this story. It merely fulfills a curiosity of mine---and a desire to keep some really old friends around for as long as possible. Please do not sue.

Check out my dreamwidth journal for more information on updates and review responses. It can be found here: https://farawayeyes4.dreamwidth.org/

Note: This story updates the 17th of EVERY month.

Chapter Ninety-Five

The overcast sky drained the world of color. The grey clouds swirled with the threat of rain. A stiff breeze rustled the trees, their leaves whispering a warning. The birds trilled muted greetings to the new day. Snippets of their cheerful phrases---the elation of finding food, the joy of new life, and the freedom of flight---ghosted by. Their songs blunted the bleakness of the dour weather.

Belrin drew her hood over her head, wrapping the cloak tightly about her shoulders. The little girl stood by Sesshomaru's stallion, clutching his reins firmly. The eager horse tugged rebelliously against her grip, stamping his feet. Belrin rubbed his velvet nose, soothing the restless animal.

“Soon, Leader. Belrin promises.”

Anxiety curled through the little girl. Belrin understood that they must visit this Ashaba---and yet she wanted so badly to avoid it. She knew that her new big brother had a need to go there---but she couldn't fathom any good coming from it. The tension in Belgarath had been palpable throughout breakfast, and it had flowed through everyone else, feasting upon their apprehensions. The little girl couldn't help the nagging feeling that something terrible would happen there.

Belrin's eyes connected with Sesshomaru's. A sternness attempted to mask the vulnerability she saw glitter in their depths. All the unspoken doubts, the uneasiness, and the contrition he tried so hard to hide swirled. It pained her that he carried this guilt. It angered Belrin that Zedar's treachery had scarred the Demon Lord thus.

She would do everything to prove that this changed nothing between them. Belrin would convince him that she had truly broken free of the dark sorcerer's power. Her power would benefit them both. Belrin would pull her own weight, using all the gifts allotted her---her tenacity, her steely resolve, and her Will---to build an even stronger bond between them. Her light would dispel the shadow of Zedar's darkness.

Sesshomaru joined her. He gently brushed the back of his hand across her cheek. With slender fingers, he cupped her face. A tiny smile curled at the corners of his mouth. “Thank you for riding with this Sesshomaru.”

“Belrin's honored, Sesshomaru-sama.”

Truthfully, Belrin wanted her own horse. She absolutely enjoyed sharing the saddle with her lord, but the space grew cramped. She believed that she could handle her own animal. She needed the right moment and words to persuade Sesshomaru. Now was not the time. Belrin understood that Zedar's mind games had tormented her lord just as much as it had her. Couple its aftermath with this dangerous expedition and she empathized with his need to keep her near. Belrin wouldn't dare stray too far from his side as long as they remained close to the malevolent Ashaba. She refused to be separated from Sesshomaru the way they had been by the Apostate ever again.

Sesshomaru stood stiffly, his shoulders tense. His gold eyes scanned the area, narrowed in concentration. The Demon Lord tilted his head, straining to listen for threats. The little girl spotted all the anxiety he tried to hide---the smallest of signs found in his tight frown and the tiny crinkles creasing by his eyes. His nostrils flared as he scented the air. At his side, Sesshomaru clenched his hand around his sword hilt, his knuckles turning white from the pressure. His lithe frame vibrated with trepidation---and the longer they waited to leave, the more agitated the Demon Lord became.

Belrin hugged him tight, burying her face into his chest. “Belrin will be safe as long as she's with you, Sesshomaru-sama.”

The Demon Lord stood rigid in her embrace, a small gasp escaping his lips. He fiercely hugged her, kissing her temple. Sesshomaru buried his nose into her hair, breathing deeply. Slowly, the tension melted from his frame. “You have far too much faith in this Sesshomaru.”

Belrin lifted her head, frowning. She brushed a finger over a cheek stripe. “Not faith, Sesshomaru-sama. Trust. Belrin will always trust you.”

The Demon Lord flicked his gaze away, nodding curtly. Aloud, he asked, “How do your new boots fit, Belrin?”

“They fit well. Belrin's feet are very warm.” The little girl brushed her nose under his chin, resting her head onto his shoulder. “With the chill, perhaps you should wear your cloak, Sesshomaru-sama.”

“As you wish.” The Demon Lord chuckled softly.

“Oi!” Inuyasha called. “You two love birds ready to go or what?”

“Inuyasha!” Kagome chided. She elbowed the half-demon in the side. “Don't tease them. It's rude!”

“Hey!” Inuyasha protested. “How come he gets to tease me all the time? That's not fair!”

“Because, Inuyasha, he's the older sibling,” Kagome said, a playful lilt to her voice. “As an older sibling, I must defend our right to torment our younger siblings.”

“Well said, little sister.”

“Oh really now.” Inuyasha snorted. He jabbed a finger at Kagome. “Well guess what, wench. He's your older brother now, too. Get ready for all the teasing and torment the jackass can dish out.”

“Maybe he wouldn't do that to you if you didn't insist on calling him jackass,” Kagome retorted, rolling her eyes.

“He started it! He calls me half-breed all the time!”

Belrin slipped from Sesshomaru's grip. She giggled softly, hugging Inuyasha tightly. She said, “Don't worry, Inuyasha-sama. We younger siblings can stick together, right?”

The startled half-demon gasped softly. He hugged her back, his hands making gentle circles on her back. “You bet we will, pup.”

Sesshomaru eased his cloak about his shoulders, tugging the hood over his head. He snorted softly, an amused smile ghosting on his lips. “This Sesshomaru shall ride with little sister again. You take the front, little brother.”

“If you insist, jackass.”

Demurely, the fox kit joined them, bowing low. He kept his gaze on the ground, his small frame trembling.

“Yes, boy?” Sesshomaru asked.

“Can I ride with mother?”

“You may if she agrees,” the Demon Lord replied.

Kagome gently placed a hand on the fox kit's shoulder. “Of course you can, Shippo-chan.”

The little boy lifted his head, a toothy grin spreading across his face. “Thank you, Sesshomaru-sensei, mother.”

Belrin's eyes met Sesshomaru's. The little girl knew that Shippo had misbehaved in the past---therefore earning these rules---but pride swelled at being proved right. Shippo's eagerness to learn canceled his need to act out. She whispered, “Belrin told you so.”

Amusement flickered in the Demon Lord's eyes. “So you did.”

Belgarath said crisply, “We ride to Ashaba! We should be there by nightfall. Stay close together and keep up. We will not stop. There's no time to waste. Let's go!”

They set off at a canter, Belrin guiding Leader to run alongside Kagome's horse. The stallion tugged hard, causing the reins to bite her palms. She gripped them tighter, not willing to let the animal dictate the pace. So often her lord had pushed the horse to the lead---hence the name---but riding next to Kagome meant Belrin had to force him to a slower gallop. Realizing he wasn't getting his way, the stallion snorted. Despite his impatience, Leader obeyed.

About two hours into the ride, Belrin noticed the stench saturating the area. Stagnant water, death, burning flesh, mildew, and decay hung heavy in the air. The wind swirled the sulfuric aroma around, blanketing them under a pungent choke-hold. Belrin swallowed hard, trying not to retch. She breathed shallowly through her mouth, not wanting the burning stench to irritate her nostrils. This land suffered a curse. Something polluted it---turning nature against itself.

Sesshomaru's grip on her waist tightened. He buried his nose into her neck, breathing in shallow whuffs. He rubbed it against her temple, trying to push into her hair. A warm liquid splashed her skin, and she realized that Sesshomaru's eyes watered from the overpowering malodor. The rankness of this area clearly overwhelmed the Demon Lord's powerful senses. With one hand, Belrin eased her hood down, freeing her thick mane. Immediately, Sesshomaru pushed his nose into it, taking a deep breath and holding it.

“Are you alright, Sesshomaru-sama?”

“Give this Sesshomaru a moment.”

“Take all the time you need. Let Belrin take care of you.”

His hot breath puffed against the back of her neck as he panted.  

“Sesshomaru?” Kagome asked, alarmed. “Are you okay? You're as white as a sheet.”

The Demon Lord curtly nodded, taking another deep breath. Sesshomaru pulled Belrin flush against his chest, his frame tense. His hand clenched into a tight fist at her side. Belrin had never seen Sesshomaru so overwhelmed by a place before.

“Sesshomaru-sensei?” Shippo asked, worry in his voice. The fox kit's nose wrinkled at the acrid smell. “You sure you're alright?”

The Demon Lord wheezed. He nodded and said hoarsely, “This Sesshomaru is fine. Do not be alarmed.”

Kagome tapped Shippo on the shoulder. She held up a yellow scarf. “Shippo-chan, take this to your father. If Sesshomaru is suffering like this, I can only imagine how bad Inuyasha is. Come back when you're done.”

“Yes, mother.” Shippo clutched the scarf in his hands. He bounded away, leaping from one horse to the next.

Around them, the land became barren. Long dead trees outstretched their bony limbs towards the gloomy sky. Pools of grimy water dotted the land, the horse hooves turning up fetid clay in their wake. Dank fungus blanketed the decaying vegetation, choking life in its mossy grip. Silence hung like a shroud. No birds sang. No creatures called this home. They had truly entered a void.

The rat-faced spy said softly, “It's just like Cthol Mishrak all over again.”

“Ol' Burnt Face liked to leave a callin' card on the land, don't y' know,” Beldin quipped. “Other living things always seemed to offend him. His presence befouled the very earth forever. If you're curious, the place Zedar squirreled his slumbering body after Vo Mimbre started to decay like that. Maybe it's recovered since Torak wasn't there as long.”

“Why would he taint the ground? Was he truly that powerful?” Kagome asked, her hand over her nose.

“Torak was mad. Creating dead zones like this---they proved that he could subdue the very earth itself. It proved that he was the most powerful God.” Beldin snorted. “Frankly, and considering I'm no peach myself, I think this right here? This was Torak's personality made manifest.”

“How sad. This Torak must have truly hated everything---including himself,” Kagome whispered.

A hush fell over the group as they thundered down a weed-choked path. Belrin shuddered at the immense weight this Torak had placed upon the land. She adored the natural world's grace. She may have focused on flowers and their colorful beauty, but Belrin admired the interlocking of vast systems that formed forests, prairies, mountains, and more. She couldn't fathom the kind of malice embedded in someone's heart having the power to lay waste to all the good in nature.

Like icy fingers, a black thought brushed the periphery of her mind. She flinched at its suddenness. It grasped, trying to find weak spots---probing with its tendrils. Belrin jerked the reins, causing Leader to stumble momentarily before resuming a gentle gallop.

“Belrin?” Sesshomaru asked, his face still hidden in her hair.

“Sorry, Sesshomaru-sama. Belrin didn't mean to tug so hard on Leader's reins. She thought she felt something---it startled her. Don't worry. It won't happen again.”

“Leader?”
Sesshomaru asked, amused. “Is it serious? Should you alert the wolf-woman?”

“Belrin will if it happens again. There's Grolims around. She can feel them. Their black thoughts are skimming by.”

Sesshomaru's grip tensed as he wheezed loudly. The Demon Lord trembled behind her, burrowing his face further into her mane. He coughed, the sound hollow. Soon it turned into a fit, each cough harsher and deeper than the last. Sesshomaru's heavy weight settled onto her back as he succumbed. The wretched hacking petered out into a low, pained whine. Sesshomaru's breathing rasped shallowly in Belrin's ears as he wearily rested his chin onto her shoulder.

“Sesshomaru?” Kagome asked, alarmed. “Shouldn't we stop? He needs help!”

The little fox kit bounded back, landing in Kagome's lap. He still clutched the yellow scarf. “Father said he didn't need it. He says it stinks, but that Naraku smells way worse.”

Another fit overcame Sesshomaru, the coughs emanating deep from within his chest. With each one, his arm flexed, crushing her stomach painfully. As it waned, the Demon Lord panted weakly.

Next to them, the dwarf sorcerer let loose a string of filthy curses. He glanced towards Belrin and Sesshomaru, a scowl on his face. Harshly, he said, “We can't stop---not even for this. Looks like I need to teach our Grolim friends a lesson. Clearly they're having far too much fun making our pretty boy cough up his lungs.”

Belrin tensed, squeezing Leader's reins in fury. This wasn't a natural reaction? Someone had done this to Sesshomaru? Belrin pushed her thought out, skimming against glossy black focusing on a single thought: hurting her lord. Their collective subtlety hid behind soft probes. They had determined their target by using the terrain as a cover. If everyone suspected that this was only the Demon Lord's natural reaction, it'd be easier to manipulate with no one the wiser. She seethed at their underhanded tactics. First Zedar had hurt him---now these Grolims did the same.

Belrin would not have it.

She brushed her thought across Sesshomaru's mind. Flickers of brilliant gold flashed before her vision. On the edges, black shadows tore at it. They spread like inky vines, latching on and burrowing deep. This darkness meant to smother Sesshomaru with its evil collective thought. It remained their sole focus, bearing down on the Demon Lord relentlessly.

Seeing their tampering incensed her. Belrin gathered her Will, the familiar tingle building to a crescendo at the base of her skull. She would strike hard and fast. Belrin would punish them for tarnishing his beauty. Squeezing Leader's reins, the little girl prepared to lash out.

“No, little sister. You're not ready for a fight like this just yet,” Beldin's harsh voice snapped in the vaults of her mind. “Let me take care of these Grolims. You keep him in that saddle.”

“No!”
Belrin shouted back. “They're hurting Sesshomaru-sama. Belrin won't let them get away with it. She'll stop them.”

“I know you want to fight back, but you're not ready---not yet and not this time.”

“He's right, Belrin,”
Poledra said. “You will help your pack leader more by staying out of this fight. I know you're angry, but not this time.”

“Belrin can!”
Her body tingled from holding her Will at bay. “They can't do this to him. Let Belrin help fight. Sesshomaru-sama would fight for her if roles were reversed. He has. It's Belrin's turn.”

“One understands, dear,”
Poledra patiently replied. “You'll help him more by keeping him in that saddle. I think it'd be best if you learned to put his mind to sleep. If he's not awake, they can't attack him like this. He's the vulnerable one here---not you.”

Sesshomaru wheezed, his body spasming as he fought against another coughing fit. His ragged breathing indicated that he'd lose soon. A soft whistle punctuated each labored breath. It cut Belrin deeply to hear her lord suffer.

“How?” Belrin's nose wrinkled. “Belrin won't do this without telling Sesshomaru-sama first. She will never use her Will on him without his consent ever again.”

“One agrees. Inform him, but let Beldin fight the Grolims. Your job, Belrin, is to protect your pack leader.”

“You two protect pretty boy. I'll stop them,”
Beldin said.

“Sesshomaru-sama?” Belrin asked. “Belrin has to do something you may not like. She must use her Will to put your mind to sleep. Poledra-sama promises that the Grolims hurting you won't be able to if Belrin does this.”

“What? This Sesshomaru refuses.”
The Demon Lord coughed, the sound booming. “This Sesshomaru can't protect you if he sleeps. No.”

Belrin sighed, guiding Leader to maintain their steady pace. “Belrin doesn't like it either, but Poledra-sama says that it's the only way. Let Belrin protect you for a change.”

“No.”
Sesshomaru panted heavily, his body trembling behind her. “This Sesshomaru protects you, not the other way around. We're in dangerous territory. I need to be ready to keep you safe.”

“Do you have faith in Belrin's Will?”

“This Sesshomaru does. The answer is still no. It is too dangerous. You'll be left unprotected.”

The little girl sensed his strength weakening. The inky thoughts of the Grolims washed over his gold, dulling it. Soon, Sesshomaru wouldn't be able to resist another attack. What if they did far worse? What if they harmed the Demon Lord in some other way? Time was running out.

“One understands your concern as Belrin's pack leader, but she is in no danger. You are. One will protect her while we make haste to Ashaba. This task is for Belrin alone. In the entire group, you are the only vulnerable one right now. It is the task of these Grolims to attack you. Let Belrin do this. She must if we are to succeed.”

“Tasks? Do not speak of these tasks. No.”
The Demon Lord took another shaky breath. His demonic aura flared, pushing against her. “It's far too dangerous. This Sesshomaru is responsible for more than just Belrin's safety.”

The wolf woman joined them on her horse, riding in between the dwarf sorcerer and Leader. “One realizes this. However, if you succumb to the Grolims, it won't matter if the Old Wolf reaches Ashaba. She needs to do this per the Prophecy---and the Master.”

Sesshomaru growled softly before wheezing loudly. “No. That is this Sesshomaru's final answer.”
“Do you have faith in Belrin?”
The little girl asked.

“No. This Sesshomaru trusts her explicitly.”

“Then let Belrin protect you. She needs to do this.”

The Demon Lord breathed heavily, his strength waning. “Very well. But know this, wolf-woman, this Sesshomaru will seek retribution if any of his pack shall be harmed. Is this clear?”

“One wouldn't have it any other way.”
Poledra nodded in acknowledgment. “Think of wrapping his mind in a blanket, Belrin. It'll keep him calm, allow his natural healing abilities to fight back, and protect him from any other attacks. You're shielding him at the same time.”

“Yes, Poledra-sama,”
the little girl answered. “Don't worry, Sesshomaru-sama. Belrin's going to take care of you. Just relax.”

“Promise to stay safe.”

“Belrin will.”

Keeping a firm grip on Leader's reins, the little girl allowed the Demon Lord's burnished gold mind to fill her vision. She envisioned a deep blue swaddling it. The rich color blocked the black tendrils trying to subdue Sesshomaru. The little girl poured her love into the shield when she felt the Demon Lord's agitated aura flare. Little by little, Belrin soothed him with her gentle power. Once the image of her blue shield protecting his gold mind remained fixed, the little girl spoke the word, “Sleep.”

At her back, Belrin felt Sesshomaru slump forward. He snored softly into her ear, his cheek resting against her shoulder. The little girl bowed forward, his heavy weight bearing down on her. He swayed, nearly tottering from the saddle.

“Hold him up with your Will, Belrin.”

“Yes, Poledra-sama.”

The little girl grit her teeth, drawing in her Will. She envisioned having the strength to be immovable. She would be a pillar he could rest upon. She imagined Sesshomaru's body to be light and airy. She pictured him tethered in the saddle, stable. Belrin whispered, “Stay.”

At the word, she straightened, no longer bowed by his heavy body. Instead, he leaned on her, his weight inconsequential. If not for his soft, wheezy snores, Belrin would have feared that he had fallen. His arm still gripped her waist, its presence comforting. Even asleep this way, the gesture evoked his steadfast protection.

She whispered, “Belrin won't ever let you fall.”

Kagome asked, her voice concerned, “Is everything alright? Rin-chan, I've been calling your attention the last five minutes.”

“Don't worry about Belrin, Kagome-sama.” The little girl adjusted the reins in her grip, her head held high. “She had something to take care of, that's all.”

“How much farther to Ashaba, Belgarath?” Silk asked.

The old sorcerer pointed towards a ravine. “It's up there a few more hours.”

The horses thundered over the dead ground, struggling to climb the steep path. Belrin held the reins tightly with one hand, guiding Leader. With the other, she interlaced her fingers with Sesshomaru's. The physical touch anchored her Will as she kept him firmly in the saddle. The little girl saw flashes of blue and gold swirl, her shield protecting her lord. She grit her teeth at the exertion required. Slowly, they wound up the road, picking their way through scattered stagnant pools. She felt Leader strain to keep his footing as the ravine continued.

A black forest rose around them. The trees hovered, outstretching bony limbs towards them. Large ravens cackled, malice in their foul presence. They spoke of unpleasant things---and in her need to focus, Belrin pushed their cries aside. The already glum day plunged into an early night under the thick branches. A disturbing quiet settled over them---no one willing to speak.

In the distance, a Hound of Torak howled. Another answered from further ahead. They dogged the party's passing through the forest. Belrin feared their attacks, knowing she couldn't deflect them while occupied with protecting Sesshomaru.

As others released their Wills around her, Belrin became numb. On the periphery, she sensed the battle Beldin waged with the Grolims assaulting her lord. Though the dwarf remained in his saddle, his expression revealed that his mind remained elsewhere. Anger twisted his grotesque features and power flared in his eyes. Glossy black thoughts skirted, countering unseen blows. And yet, they weakened as time wore on.

A shrill scream almost broke Belrin's extreme concentration. The little red-haired Queen struggled to stay on her horse as a Hound lunged from the trees. Brilliant blue light flared to life as the Rivan King's sword parried the attack. The blade's radiance repelled the vile dog, causing it to melt back into the underbrush. Howls, growls, and rustling harried them as they made their haste through the trees.

Ahead, Belrin saw Polgara ward away other Hounds with her Will. Clearly, they'd do whatever it took to delay them.

Sesshomaru wheezed loudly, his breath staccatoed. They puffed at her neck as he struggled. At the end of each rasp, the Demon Lord whined, the pained sound rising from deep inside his chest. His head tossed fitfully on her shoulder. Belrin squeezed his hand, submerging his gold in ultramarine. It fended off the black fingers trying to manipulate Sesshomaru. Little by little, his harsh breathing evened out.

Next to her, Belrin heard a hollow roar as Beldin continued his battle. He chuckled darkly. “Well, that ought to teach those pesky Chandim.” The dwarf looked towards her. “How's pretty boy?”

“Sleeping, Beldin-sama.” Belrin dug deep, pulling on her reserves to hold her lord fast in the saddle.

“Let him. We'll need him when we get to Torak's haunted house,” Beldin replied. “They were a determined lot. Would have gotten away with it if not for dog-eared boy being just fine, don't y' know?”

They emerged from the trees. Without the underbrush, the Hounds retreated, running ahead in the distance to prepare another ambush. Desperation marked their calls as they hadn't succeeded in delaying the group. Ahead, Belgarath surged ahead to join Inuyasha near the front. He waved his arm, urging them to push their mounts.

Belrin squeezed her thighs around Leader, snapping the reins. The horse surged, relishing in the burst of speed. His hooves churned up dirt on the little used narrow path. After a few more miles, they entered a plateau. Burn scars etched their way across the ground. In the distance, a massive black building loomed. Ugly towers flanked it and a battlement stood as stark warning. Vegetation crawled up the dark stone, choking it in places.

“Ashaba,” Belgarath said coldly. “Ride!”

Surging forward, they plunged back into dark wood. A howl followed by a sharp yelp echoed through the trees. Gritting her teeth, Belrin heard the soft roar of Wills being unleashed with great force. As they pushed further into the dark forest, she saw why. One Hound had been sheared in half. Another, however, had been thrown. Its mangled body lay twisted in a heap. As they passed by, the two corpses morphed into old men.

“Is he feeling any better?” Kagome asked, distracting Belrin from the ghastly sight. “He looks so worn out.”

The little girl brushed her thought over Sesshomaru's mind. It exuded calm. The Demon Lord slumbered peacefully, attempting to regain the reserves lost fighting the Grolim attack. Gently, Belrin surrounded his golden mind with the protective blue. In turn, Sesshomaru sighed in contentment.

The little girl nodded. “Sesshomaru-sama will be just fine. He's already much better than before.”

“Good. Those Grolims---,” Kagome began, a tight frown crossing her face. “How are you, Rin-chan?”

In his sleep, Sesshomaru tucked his nose back into her hair. The little girl bit her lip, suppressing a giggle as his breath tickled her neck. “Belrin's alright. Just anxious about this Ashaba.”

They reached a clearing, taking them up to Torak's House. A high basalt wall enclosed the monstrous building, expressing the clear suspicion and paranoia of its builder. In the early twilight, Belrin spotted that the glass in the windows had long since shattered. The frames mawed at them like empty eye sockets. Ivy and bramble wound their way through the holes and up the stones. Weather battered the structure, causing some brick to crumble. The black house towered over the forest and up close it held great evil.

“We go on foot from here. No sense in trying to wait for the cover of night. They've known we're coming all along,” Belgarath said. “We'll split up into two groups to cover more ground.”

Belrin watched the others dismount, her strength waning from holding up her lord. His mind felt so serene when she touched it---and she loathed to wake him up.

“Sesshomaru-sama?” Belrin asked.

The Demon Lord snorted in protest, squeezing his arm tight around her.

“Time to wake up, Sesshomaru-sama.”

Sesshomaru stirred, a soft sigh escaping. He slowly sat up, his arm falling away from her waist. Over her shoulder, Belrin saw him blink sleepily before straightening, his expression wary.

“It's okay, Sesshomaru-sama. We're at Ashaba. Big brother says we need to go in.”

Sesshomaru coughed, clearing his throat. He asked, “How long did this Sesshomaru sleep?”

“A few hours. Don't worry. Belrin kept you safe and big brother Beldin made sure that the Grolims stopped hurting you. Everyone's safe.”

Sesshomaru gasped. He hugged her fiercely, kissing her temple. “This Sesshomaru is so proud of you, Belrin---more than you'll ever know.”

“Here, Sesshomaru,” Kagome said, holding up a bottle of water. “You need it.”

He took it with a tentative grip, nodding his thanks. Sesshomaru drank it all before handing the bottle back.

“Oi, jackass,” Inuyasha called. He joined them, helping Kagome from her horse. “Heard you had a hard time today. You alright?”

“Do not be concerned, little brother.” The Demon Lord dismounted. He eased Belrin to the ground, gripping her waist. “This Sesshomaru is fine.”

“Glad to hear it. I'll need you sharp if you're going to watch my back.” Inuyasha looked around, a frown crossing his face. His ears raised in alarm, twitching. “This is an ugly place, Old Man.”

“Torak was an ugly God.” Belgarath strode towards a small path winding around the House. “Beldin, once we're past the gate, take a few of the others in the other direction. We must find the Oracles.”

“Alright,” Beldin said, scratching an armpit. “Little girl, monk, you're with me.”

Belrin bit her lip, glancing towards the dwarf sorcerer. She said softly, “Wait, Beldin-sama.”

A soft smile crossed Beldin's hideous face. “Yes, little sister?”

“Thank you.” Belrin hugged him. “Belrin couldn't have done it alone.”

“Twas nothin', Lady-O. Go on with Belgarath and yer pretty boy. Someone needs to keep an eye on him. Nobody better for the job than you.”

“Belrin will!” She kissed his cheek. “You can trust her.”

“This Sesshomaru always will.”

Check out my dreamwidth journal for more information on updates and review responses. It can be found here: https://farawayeyes4.dreamwidth.org/

Note: This story updates the 17th of EVERY month.