InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ She's Like The Wind / The Power of Love ❯ Midnight Madness ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: yada, yada, yada…I still don't own InuYasha.
 
 
Chapter 8: Midnight Madness
 
Their attackers had slowed down as they approached the camp. Kagome whispered to InuYasha to let him know, she already had an arrow notched in her bow.
 
A short distance away, glowing green eyes looked warily ahead as the large predator stalked through the trees. It had a jewel shard embedded in its topskull, with the promise of more for killing the human miko along with the worthless hanyou and helpless humans she traveled with. Kijobe was looking forward to easy prey. He had brought along a couple of his nearly mature cubs that needed a little more practice at making their own kills. After they proved themselves tonight, they would be sent forth on their own.
 
As they reached the edge of the clearing, the two younger ones were sent out, one around to each side of the camp. The humans were obviously sleeping and had no idea of what was coming. They had foolishly allowed their campfire to burn out, so not even fire could be used as a weapon - he could smell the still smoldering embers. The nose under the green eyes wrinkled as it smelled the scent of dog - that must be the hanyou he had been told about. The giver of the jewel shard said to beware of him, but Kijobe was afraid of no stinking canine, especially only half of one.
 
InuYasha and Sesshomaru could both smell and see the approaching cats, even though they almost blended into the trees with their stripes. They silently passed their signals to the others to let them know that there were three attackers, and that they had split up. They waited for the tiger youkai to make the first move.
 
It came with a roar as Kijobe leaped into the center of the camp, expecting to find easily panicked humans running for their lives. He planned to kill what was immediately in front of him and then the cubs would pick off the others. That wasn't what he encountered.
 
“InuYasha, the jewel shard is in the center on the top of his head!” Kagome yelled.
 
“Got it!” InuYasha yelled as he raced forward with Tetsusaiga transformed. He took a massive swing across the chest of the youkai as it roared with pain. InuYasha continued his attack thrusting and swiping as he went.
 
“Hiraikotsu!” Sango threw her giant boomerang at one of the younger cats as it pounced at her, hitting it in the side - they could hear the crunching sound of breaking ribs. The cat went down with a thud, gasping from a punctured lung. Sesshomaru calmly thrust Tokijin through its heart and ended its pain.
 
The third cat had been sent after those in the cave. He could smell the smoldering fumes of the fire as he approached. Finding an angry, over-protective Ah-Uhn was not what he expected. The cat was reduced to ash as Ah-Uhn blasted him with both heads at the same time.
 
Kijobe roared with anger when he realized that both of his cubs had been killed by the group. Because of the shard, he did not feel the pain from the injuries that InuYasha had inflicted on him. InuYasha was not able to use the Wind Scar or Backlash Wave because they were too close to the others. He had not been able to give a fatal direct blow because of the jewel shard. The wounds were healing themselves almost as fast as he could deliver them.
 
“Kagome! Can you hit him?!”
 
Kagome had not fired a shot off yet, afraid of hitting InuYasha as he battled the cat.
 
“I'm afraid I'll hit you - get out of the way!”
 
Kijobe leaped in the direction of Kagome's voice.
 
“Kagomeeee!” InuYasha jumped into the air with power he didn't realize he had, Tetsusaiga surrounded by a pink glow in his hand. With one motion, InuYasha sliced off the top of the massive cat's head as he flew over it, dislodging the jewel shard that had been embedded there.
 
Kijobe's body twisted the in the air as he snarled in pain, his massive paws flailing in every direction.
 
As the cat hit the ground, it caught Sango in the ribs. The demon slayer screamed as the blood started to pour from her side. Miroku yelled “Sangooooo!!” as he ran to her. Miroku had not had much to do since Ah-Uhn had dispatched of the tiger on his side of the cave so quickly.
 
They heard, “Get out of my way!!” as Kagome unleashed an arrow. Everyone jumped back as they felt power radiate from her. Miroku dragged Sango away from the writhing body of the tiger, having his robes and leg ripped open as its claws snagged him.
 
Kagome's arrow caught Kijobe square in the chest, piercing his heart as it purified the tiger youkai. Like the cub that met Ah-Uhn, it disappeared into a pile of dust.
 
InuYasha and Sesshomaru could smell the blood flowing from Sango and Miroku. Miroku was holding Sango's head in his lap, and she was passed out cold from the loss of blood. Miroku didn't seem to notice that his leg was bleeding freely onto the ground.
 
Kirara had lain down next to Sango, and was nuzzling her hand and licking it.
 
“Sango, Sango stay with me. Your supposed to marry me, you can't leave me now!” wailed Miroku.
 
Kagome had run past Ah-Uhn into the cave for her bag. She was pulling a flashlight out as she ran back to Sango.
 
“Miroku, I've got to see her wound. Kirara, let him roll her over on her side.”
 
Kagome gasped when she saw the extent of damage. The flesh had been peeled back and she could see Sango's ribs, “We've got to stop the bleeding before she bleeds to death.”
 
Sesshomaru stepped up as he drew Tenseiga, “Move aside.”
 
Kirara moved away and InuYasha pulled the sobbing Miroku back as Sesshomaru waved Tenseiga over Sango's wound,  
“I've sealed the wound and stopped the flow of blood, but cannot replace all that she has lost. She will recover, but needs to rest. Bandage the wounds on the monk's legs. They are not serious and will heal on their own.”
 
With that, Kagome asked InuYasha to hold the flashlight so that she could dress Miroku's wounds. He lay stroking the still unconscious Sango's hair as Kagome cleaned and bandaged his leg.
 
With Miroku and Sango taken care of, Kagome went to retrieve the jewel shard. Tainted with malice, she purified it before adding it to the others in her bottle. Sesshomaru watched with fascination, not having seen this for himself before.
 
Sesshomaru spoke again, “We must move away from here. There may be others.”
 
Kagome realized that Rin and Shippou were still in the cave, not daring to come out until they were told the coast was clear,  
“Rin, Shippou, are you OK?”
 
Shippou ran out and jumped in Kagome's arms, while Rin ran to Sesshomaru and hugged his leg.
 
Jaken also appeared from the cave - apparently he had gone into hiding with the children. He did not miss the glare Sesshomaru directed at him, “I was helping to protect Rin, My Lord!”
 
InuYasha finally spoke, “Sesshomaru is right; we need to clear out of here. Monk, do you have the strength clean up the remains of the tigers?”
 
With that Miroku stood up, supported by Kirara, and told the others to get behind him. InuYasha picked up Sango and moved back as Miroku drew in the remains of the one tiger, the chunk of head that InuYasha had sliced off, and then the ashes of the other two, along with any other loose debris in the area.
 
Sesshomaru was muttering something to Ah-Uhn as he put the dragon's bridles back on.
 
Still holding Sango, InuYasha spoke up, “Sesshomaru, these are your lands. Where do you suggest that we go?”
 
“Home.”
 
“But that's four days from here!” InuYasha replied.
 
“Not your home, mine.”
 
Jaken couldn't hold his tongue, “My Lord! You can't take these humans and worthless half-breed to your castle!”
 
Sesshomaru booted Jaken halfway into the forest.
 
They had decided the best way to get everyone transported quickly and safely would be for Miroku to hold Sango on Ah-Uhn (whose broad back was difficult to fall off of), and for Rin and Shippou to ride Kirara. Kagome climbed up on InuYasha's back. InuYasha took off at a run following Sesshomaru, Kirara, and Ah-Uhn, who were all airborne.
 
Jaken was left to fend for himself.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
At the pace they set, it only took a few hours to get to Sesshomaru's home. They arrived as the sun was coming up. As Sesshomaru strode through the doors, some of his servants could not hide the surprise on their faces when he came in with three additional humans, a two-tailed cat, kitsune child, and his hanyou half-brother. InuYasha once again had Sango in his arms, and the monk was now on Kirara's back.
 
“Kanti!”
 
“Yes, My Lord!” responded the fully mature male kitsune.
 
“Fetch my healer. The demon slayer and monk have been injured. They need care and rest.”
 
“Yes, My Lord!” If Kanti had any questions of his orders, he did not voice them. He immediately went for the healer.
 
“Tonika.”
 
This time a female kitsune appeared, “Yes, My Lord?”
 
“Prepare rooms for our guests. Alert the kitchen that they will need to be fed.”
 
Tonika bowed and hurried away on his orders.
 
Kanti reappeared with a doe youkai, “We are here, My Lord.”
 
Sesshomaru looked at his healer, “The monk and demon slayer have been struck by a tiger youkai. The demon slayer's wounds have been sealed, but she lost a great deal of blood. The monk has been bandaged, but his injuries need attention. They started bleeding again on the journey here.”
 
Miroku looked down at the blood streaming towards his ankle and down Kirara's side. He had been so worried about Sango that he did not realize that he had reopened his wounds.
 
Large soft eyes looked at Sango in InuYasha's arms and at Miroku on Kirara's back and replied, “They will be tended to. Follow me, please.”
 
Miroku spoke up, “Just a minute, please. InuYasha, will you give Sango to me? You should stay with Kagome and Shippou.
 
InuYasha looked at Sesshomaru and he nodded. As InuYasha placed Sango on Kirara's back in front of Miroku he said, “Keep your hands where they belong, Monk.”
 
Kirara silently followed the healer away, carrying Miroku and the unconscious Sango.
 
Sesshomaru turned to Rin, “Rin, are you hungry?”
 
He knew the answer since her stomach was growling.
 
“Yes, My Lord!”
 
“Take the kitsune to the kitchen for breakfast.”
 
Rin giggled and grabbed Shippou's hand and led him down the hall.
 
After dismissing the remaining servants, Sesshomaru turned to Kanti again. He had been silently waiting for more orders,
“Kanti, have the kitchen send breakfast to my study for the three of us. We have things we need to discuss. You may also tell your mate to have one of the suites prepared for my brother and the miko. I doubt he will let her out of his sight so two rooms will be pointless. Also, have one of the stable hands take care of Ah-Uhn.”
 
Kanti bowed and hurried away.
 
Sesshomaru turned to InuYasha and Kagome, “I know you are tired, but I wish to speak with you. Your room and bath will be ready we when have finished.”
 
Kagome and InuYasha nodded and followed Sesshomaru to his study.
 
Sesshomaru closed the door and motioned for them to sit at the table near the fireplace.
 
Kagome spoke for the first time since arriving, “Sesshomaru-sama, thank you for bringing us into your home and taking care of Sango and Miroku. Thank you for healing Sango's wounds - she probably would not have survived if you had not.”
 
InuYasha was silent, but nodded in agreement.
 
“I could do no less. They have shown a great deal of courage. They are not like most humans I have encountered.”
 
“Keh,” InuYasha answered in agreement. He knew from experience what valuable allies they were.
 
There was a knock at the door. Sesshomaru told them to enter and breakfast was brought in. There were eggs, meat, cheeses, and fruits, along with some things Kagome didn't recognize. The servants set everything on the table and left as silently as they had come in. InuYasha picked up Kagome's plate and placed foods on it that he knew she would like and handed it to her. He then did the same for himself. Sesshomaru helped himself to the items that Kagome did not recognize - she wasn't sure she really wanted to know what they were.
 
They ate in silence until Sesshomaru finally asked, “What brought you to my lands? I don't think you would have brought the monk and demon slayer with you if you were only coming for what we discussed last night.”
 
Kagome and InuYasha both blushed, but Kagome responded, “We heard rumors of a demon with a jewel shard to the west. We started traveling in this direction in hopes of finding out more.”
 
InuYasha interrupted, “I think the demon found us from what happened last night.”
 
Sesshomaru looked at them thoughtfully as he chewed his food. He swallowed and continued, “Why would the demon have come after you?”
 
Kagome replied, “I'm just guessing, but from previous experience I would say that Naraku gave the tiger-youkai a single jewel shard with the promise of more if he killed me. The shard we recovered last night was tainted with a malice that only Naraku could have placed in it.”
 
Sesshomaru decided this was a good time to ask about what he had witnessed last night, “What did you do when you touched the shard?”
 
“I purified it, removing the malice and evil from it.”
 
Kagome then pulled the bottle out from her bodice and showed it to Sesshomaru, “As long as I keep the shards with me, they will remain untainted. As you know, weaker demons and also greedy humans seek the shards to increase their power, but Naraku is trying to collect them all in order to make the jewel whole again.”
 
InuYasha had not spoken, but Kagome could hear a low growl emitting from him, “InuYasha, you know your brother has no interest in the shards. I think his one encounter with one was enough. He has true power without them.”
 
InuYasha stopped growling, “Keh.”
 
Kagome continued, “Naraku doesn't like to get his own hands dirty, so he tricks others into helping him. If the attack last night had succeeded, you can bet that Naraku would have tracked down the tiger-youkai to take his jewel shard back, along with any others he managed to steal.”
 
Kagome took a deep breath, “Sesshomaru-sama, I'm sure your staff is trustworthy, but I would still prefer for it to not be common knowledge that I carry the shards.”
 
Sesshomaru looked at her, “Your wish will be honored.”
 
They finished their breakfast in silence. When they were through, Sesshomaru looked at InuYasha, “InuYasha. This was our father's home. From this day forward you and your pack are welcome here. You may stay as long as you like.”
 
Stunned was the only description that fit InuYasha's expression. Kagome reached over and squeezed his hand. InuYasha looked at her, and then his brother, “Keh.”
 
Kagome added, “I think he means thank you.”
 
“Keh.”
 
Sesshomaru stood, which signaled to Kagome and InuYasha that their discussion was over. Sesshomaru opened the door and called the waiting servant over. He told her to lead Kagome and InuYasha to their room, but to allow them to see the demon slayer and monk first. Kagome bowed to Sesshomaru before following the servant to their quarters.
 
They were led to the monk first. When they looked in, Miroku's robes had been removed, his leg dressed, and he was sound asleep. They knew he had to be exhausted from the long night and loss of blood.
 
When they entered Sango's room, they found the healer sitting beside her. A tiny Kirara was curled up into her uninjured side.
 
Kagome softly asked, “How is she doing?”
 
Kagome felt confidence in those warm soft eyes that looked up as the healer replied, “She is still unconscious, but she is strong. Her body is working to replace the blood that was lost when she was wounded. She may be out for several days while she recovers.”
 
Then she added, “The two-tail will not leave her side. We could not get her to eat.”
 
Kagome looked at her and said, “Thank you for taking care of them. When Shippou wakes up, have someone tell him about Kirara. He'll be able to get her to eat once Kirara realizes that Sango is safe.”
 
InuYasha finally spoke, “Did the monk give you any trouble?”
 
The healer actually chuckled, “I made him eat and then gave him some herbs to help him sleep and heal. I think he was delirious from the loss of blood and worry over the demon slayer.”
 
InuYasha raised an eyebrow.
 
“I told him I already had a mate and several offspring.”
 
Kagome sighed. InuYasha just muttered, “Pervert.”
 
As Kagome and InuYasha were led to their chamber InuYasha asked, “Where is the runt, anyway?”
 
The servant replied, “Are you speaking about young kitsune?”
 
“Keh.”
 
“He had breakfast with Rin, and then went to her quarters with her. They were both bathed and dressed before being put to bed. They were both very tired and are asleep.”
 
“Keh.”
 
When they were shown to their room, Kagome gasped. It was beautiful - it really was a suite. They entered a sitting area that had a bedroom and a bathroom off of it. A warm bath had been prepared for them. The servant showed them where everything was; including clothes they could change into while theirs were taken and cleaned. She then left, closing the door behind her.
 
Kagome found herself wrapped in InuYasha's arms. She murmured, “Alone at last,” as she turned into him and wrapped her arms around him. She looked up and was not disappointed when he leaned over and kissed her. When Kagome pulled away for air, InuYasha leaned his forehead against hers, content to hold her for a few minutes.
 
“InuYasha?”
 
“Keh?”
 
“I really need a bath.”
 
“Keh.”
 
“I'm filthy and I can't sleep if I'm dirty.”
 
Kagome thought about inviting InuYasha to join her, but realized she wasn't quite ready for that yet. Well the problem was, that after last night's excitement and adrenaline rush, she was. But first she needed for InuYasha to explain to her what he had learned from Sesshomaru. She pulled her pajamas out of her backpack and padded towards the bathroom.
 
“I won't be long.”
 
“Keh.”
 
The warm water felt wonderful. She scrubbed herself clean and climbed back out of the bath. Feeling much better being clean and in her pajamas, she went back out to find InuYasha patiently waiting for her. She didn't even have to ask him to bathe. He went in and returned shortly, clean and smelling much better, wearing one of the robes that had been provided.
 
Kagome reached up to kiss him again, this time more passionately, gaining entrance through his lips with her tongue. Finally, she pulled away and said, “I'm exhausted, let's go to bed.”
 
“Keh.”
 
Kagome took InuYasha's hand and led him over to the bed. Both exhausted, they fell asleep with Kagome once again folded into InuYasha's arms.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
They slept through the day and woke sometime in the late afternoon. Kagome yawned and stretched. She had not realized how exhausted she really was. Rolling over, she found herself looking into amber eyes.
 
“How long have you been awake?”
 
InuYasha responded, “A while.”
 
Kagome asked, “Why didn't you wake me?”
 
“Puny human - you needed your rest after last night.”
 
“The others?” Kagome questioned.
 
“Sango is still out, but the healer says she appears to be sleeping now rather than unconscious. They are now sending in only males to look after the monk since he keeps hitting on the female staff. The runt is playing with Rin outside somewhere. They mentioned something about going to thank Ah-Uhn for saving them.”
 
Kagome responded, “You've been busy.”
 
Kagome sat up, and InuYasha followed suit, and then pulled her into his lap. He wrapped his arms around her as he nuzzled her ear and said, “I'm glad you're safe. I can't believe you reduced that tiger to dust with only one arrow.”
 
Kagome replied, “Well, I was a bit mad about him hurting Sango.”
 
“Keh.”
 
“InuYasha?”
 
“Yea?” He heard the question in her voice.
 
“Did you notice anything different about Tetsusaiga last night?”
 
“Keh??”
 
“It was glowing pink when you took off the top of that tiger's head.”
 
“It was?” InuYasha questioned.
 
“Yea,” Kagome replied.
 
They were silent for a few minutes as they contemplated the events the night before. They were content to just sit and hold each other.
 
Kagome decided it was time to ask, “InuYasha, what did Sesshomaru tell you last night?”
 
InuYasha blushed, but started to tell Kagome everything she needed to know regarding mating. He did his best to relay the possible variations due to the fact that he was a hanyou and Kagome was a miko. Kagome just sat quietly and listened. She knew InuYasha was probably embarrassed telling her all of this, so she tried to hold her tongue until he was finished.
 
“Kagome, Sesshomaru said that we will be vulnerable while we are performing the ritual. He suggested that we find either a secure place or guards, or preferably both. He also said it could take a while since I have Inu-stamina with a human heart, and you are a powerful miko who has a big heart.”
 
“What did he mean by `a while'?” Kagome asked.
 
“Days,” InuYasha grinned.
 
He continued, “Kagome, Sesshomaru also said that my youkai would probably surface. I don't know to what extent, and neither does he since there isn't a lot of information on a hanyou taking a mate. He said that my youkai already recognizes you as my intended, and that my instincts will probably take over to help with the mating. He said that I should allow it and not be afraid.”
 
Kagome had been listening carefully to everything InuYasha had said and replied, “InuYasha, I'm not afraid of your demon. I know you think I should be, but I don't believe you will hurt me. To me it is just another part of you. I love you no matter which form you are in. It'll be all right.”
 
Kagome looked up and kissed him and said, “I don't know about you, but I'm hungry.”
 
“Keh.”
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
Kagome and InuYasha first went Sango's room to check on her. She appeared to be sleeping soundly, Kirara still curled up next to her.
 
Next they went to check on the Monk. Kagome looked and his wounds had fresh bandages on them. Miroku was also still sound asleep - probably drug-induced since he couldn't behave himself.
 
They asked a servant in the hallway if he knew where Rin and Shippou were. He led them to a door and pointed out to the gardens. Shippou saw InuYasha and Kagome come out and went running towards them.
 
“Kagome! Where have you been? They wouldn't let me see you.”
 
Kagome replied, “I was exhausted and needed to sleep. You have to remember I'm not as strong as a full demon like you. Besides, aren't you keeping Rin company?”
 
About that time Rin caught up to them, “Kagome-sama, InuYasha-sama, I am glad to see you are well.”
 
InuYasha raised an eyebrow - Rin had definitely been around his brother too long.
 
Kagome answered, “Thank you for taking care of Shippou, Rin. I hope you two have been having fun.”
 
Rin replied, “It is fun to have someone to play with besides Jaken. Shippou is much better!”
 
Shippou just grinned.
 
Kagome looked at Shippou, “Shippou, has Kirara been out of Sango's room at all?”
 
Shippou replied, “She hasn't left her side.”
 
Kagome looked serious this time, “Shippou, if she hasn't come out by tomorrow, I want you to get her and make sure she eats. If you can get her to come outside with you and Rin for a while that would be good, too. It may be several days before Sango wakes up, and we need to make sure that Kirara doesn't get sick in the meantime.”
 
Shippou looked thoughtfully at Kagome. He realized that he was being given a real responsibility, “OK.”
 
InuYasha just grinned as he witnessed the entire exchange. Kagome would be a great mother one day.
 
“Oi, Runt!” InuYasha was looking at Shippou.
 
Shippou crossed his arms and said, “Keh?”
 
Kagome giggled.
 
“Did Rin take you to Ah-Uhn to thank him for protecting you?” InuYasha asked.
 
Shippou responded, “Yea - we took him some of his favorite grass.”
 
“Good - he deserved something for frying that tiger's ass,” InuYasha said as he turned, sensing Kanti's presence behind him.
 
Kanti addressed the group, “Lord Sesshomaru would like for you to join him for dinner. Will you follow me, please?”
 
Kagome, InuYasha, Shippou, and Rin followed Kanti down the garden path and into the house to the dinner hall.