InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ She's Like The Wind / The Power of Love ❯ Discoveries ( Chapter 10 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: InuYasha is mine only in my wildest dreams.
 
 
Chapter 10: Discoveries
 
“Five days!” Kagome exclaimed.
 
InuYasha just grinned.
 
Miroku's mouth was still hanging open.
 
Sesshomaru rather formally announced, “InuYasha has taken Kagome as his mate. It has been recorded and thus it is so.”
 
Sango hugged Kagome this time, “I'm so happy for you. It must be wonderful to have someone so committed only to you.”
 
Kagome didn't miss the glare that she threw in Miroku's direction.
 
Miroku finally spoke, “But the glow…I don't understand…”
 
Sesshomaru spoke again, “I believe it is the reaction of their auras to the last few days activities. It should start to subside as their bodies absorb the power.”
 
“Power?” InuYasha finally joined the rest of the conversation - he'd still been thinking `five days!'
 
Sesshomaru answered him, “You knew from before that you were both feeling different. The consummation of your union has completed the process. You have gained from Kagome, and she has gained from you.”
 
Kagome grinned this time, “So that's where all of that extra energy came from.” She reached and stroked her mark on her neck.
 
“Uh, Kagome?” InuYasha felt a sudden rush that went straight to his loins and in turn rubbed the mark on his forearm.
 
Kagome's eyes widened, “Oh.” She decided she'd better stop before they went another round right there in the dining room.
 
“What's for lunch? I'm starving!” Kagome had determined a change of subject was in order.
 
Everyone gathered around the table as the food was brought in. More had to be brought out as Kagome and InuYasha were both famished from five days of lovemaking. Sango and Miroku caught them up with what had happened while they were locked away. Apparently Sesshomaru had put guards at their door the minute InuYasha had returned to the room just in case he took him up on his advice. As a result, none of them had been allowed to interrupt. Sango's feelings had been hurt at first because she didn't understand why Kagome did not come see her the minute she was awake. Fortunately, Sesshomaru had the foresight to have Kanti's mate, Tonika, explain what was going on. Miroku was in fear for his life - not from Sesshomaru now, but from the thought of what would happen if Sango found out about his behavior after they first arrived. Shippou had taken it the hardest - he didn't understand why he couldn't see Kagome. Telling him they would explain when he was older didn't help.
 
When it appeared that everyone had them caught up and had run out of things to say, Kagome finally looked at Sango and asked, “So, did anyone tell you what happened during the battle with the tiger youkai?”
 
Miroku's face went white.
 
Sango looked at Kagome and replied, “Not really - just that I was injured and brought here to recover.”
 
“Well, Miroku pulled you away from the tiger. That was how his leg got ripped open. Your wounds were pretty bad, but fortunately Sesshomaru was there and healed them with Tenseiga, and then brought us all here.”
 
Sango looked at the monk and said, “You didn't tell me that, houshi. Thank you.”
 
Miroku was still pale. He just mumbled, “It was nothing.” He sighed in relief because he had been sure Kagome was going to tell her what he had said.
 
Sango looked at Sesshomaru and continued, “Sesshomaru-sama, thank you for everything. I heard I would probably have died otherwise. I have been honored to be in your home.”
 
Sesshomaru simply stated, “It was only appropriate.”
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
It was decided that they would start back to the village once Sango felt fully recovered. She would still get headaches and occasional dizzy spells, and they didn't want her to have any relapses on the road.
 
It was quiet around the castle. Rin and Shippou ran laughing in playing in the garden, while Kagome and InuYasha were enjoying their time together. They knew once they were on the road again there would be no privacy, so they took full advantage of the situation. Kanti had taken to regularly posting a guard at their door so they couldn't be disturbed.
 
Sesshomaru had disappeared. InuYasha wasn't worried. He knew his brother had immense amount of lands to control and was probably fulfilling his regular duties. It was apparent that his staff understood his orders regarding InuYasha and his ragtag group. A couple of the servants had vanished, but those that were there treated them with respect whether they actually liked them or not.
 
The exception was Jaken. InuYasha didn't know when he had finally reappeared, but he was exceptionally rude to any of the group that he came across. Also, while he was whining that it was about time he didn't have to be a constant companion to Rin, it almost seemed that he was jealous of Shippou. He would glare at the kitsune as Rin and Shippou ran and played on the grounds. Rin would occasionally try to get Jaken to join them, but he would just sulk and watch.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
Sesshomaru appeared as silently as he had vanished. The first sign that he was back was Jaken. The imp was sporting a considerable lump on his head and was suddenly more polite to the guests.
 
Word was sent to each of the group that Sesshomaru expected them in his study. InuYasha and Kagome were actually out in the gardens when a servant came to tell them that their presence was required. Even Shippou was requested to come along with Rin.
 
Everyone was seated at the table in the study when Sesshomaru swept in followed by Kanti. Kanti closed the door behind him and then stood to the side as Sesshomaru addressed the group.
 
“This Sesshomaru has been tracking the servants that disappeared after InuYasha started the mating ritual. It has been determined that they went to allies of Naraku to inform them of what was happening.”
 
Kagome and InuYasha looked at Sesshomaru, fearing the worst.
 
“How…Why did this happen?” Kagome asked. InuYasha's ears flattened to his skull - he thought he knew the answer.
 
Kanti stepped forward. With a nod from Sesshomaru he spoke, “There were a handful of lower-class demon servants in the castle. When Sesshomaru brought his half brother and humans here with him, they saw it as a sign of weakness. They had tolerated Rin because they thought she would become a servant when older, but they thought Lord Sesshomaru's power was failing when you appeared at our door. The one fortunate thing is that their own powers were so weak that they did not feel the amount of strength that this group emanates. They left hoping to join someone who would give them more power.”
 
InuYasha replied, “Naraku.”
 
Sesshomaru answered, “Yes. Most of those that ran have been dispatched with, but two of them escaped. Word has been brought to This Sesshomaru that Naraku intends to have you attacked on the road home. He believes that the miko will have no powers now that she is InuYasha's mate.”
 
Kagome looked at InuYasha, “He's in for a surprise.”
 
Sesshomaru continued, “Word has also been brought that he has all of the jewel shards except those in the wolf's and your possession.”
 
Miroku said thoughtfully, “So he'll be coming after Kagome and Koga.”
 
Sango sobbed. Everyone looked at her when it dawned on Kagome why, “Oh Sango, you don't think Kohaku…”
 
Sesshomaru answered her unasked question, “Naraku had the shard removed from his body. I am sorry, but I was too late to save him. His body was brought back here so you could give him a proper burial.”
 
Sango turned into Miroku's shoulder. He held her as she cried for Kohaku. Sango suddenly stopped and looked up at the others, “I'LL KILL HIM, I'll KILL him for what he's done.”
 
Shippou popped up, “I'll help you!” as he jumped into her lap and hugged her.
 
Sesshomaru spoke with authority, “I'm sorry, kitsune, but you will not.”
 
Shippou glared at him and said, “Why not! I'm a full demon!”
 
Kanti stepped forward and spoke again, “We wish for you to remain here with Rin. She will need a constant guardian while Sesshomaru is away. Are you up for the task? You were diligent in taking care of Kirara when Sango was ill.”
 
Kirara looked up from her place over in front of the fire and mewed in agreement.
 
Shippou folded his arms, looked Sesshomaru directly in the eyes and replied, “Keh.”
 
Kagome had to hold back a snicker as she said, “We have to get word to Koga. The last time we saw him was on the edge of your lands. He had also heard the same rumor we did about a demon with a jewel shard.”
 
Sesshomaru narrowed his eyes - he didn't care for wolves, but replied, “A messenger was sent to warn him. It is up to him whether or not he heeds it.”
 
InuYasha had been lost in his thoughts but looked up and finally spoke, “It started in our village fifty years ago, and Naraku will probably try to come there to finish it. We need to get home.”
 
Sesshomaru looked at him and said, “You are probably right, but there will likely be those waiting to ambush you along the way. It will be faster if we stay in the air.”
 
InuYasha looked at his brother, “We?”
 
Sesshomaru responded, “Naraku can not be forgiven for what he has done. This Sesshomaru is going.”
 
InuYasha just responded, “Keh.”
 
Sesshomaru continued, “Ah-Uhn will help transport you. Two of you can ride him, and the other two on the fire-cat. That should cut the journey down to about two days.”
 
Kagome asked, “What about Koga?”
 
“He has been told the general area we should reach midway to set up camp. If he wishes to join us, he should meet us there.”
 
Sango spoke for the first time since hearing about Kohaku, “When do we leave?”
 
“Take the rest of today to rest and get your belongings together. You should also lay the remains of your brother to rest. It is understandable that you may want him to go to your village for burial, but that can be done later. For now, put his soul at peace. We will leave in the morning.”
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
It was decided that the service would be held for Kohaku first. Sango sobbed as his body was brought to a spot at the edge of the gardens for burial. They watched in silence as Miroku said his blessings and placed his sutras. Kagome reached down and took Shippou's hand to lead him away with InuYasha in order to leave Sango and Miroku alone.
 
As they walked away, Shippou finally blurted out what he had been worrying about for days, “Kagome, do you still want me?”
 
Kagome stopped, picked up Shippou and hugged him, “Of course I do, what makes you think that I don't?”
 
“You've been spending all of your time with InuYasha!” Shippou practically wailed.
 
“Shippou, I'll always love you, but you know my relationship with InuYasha has changed.” Boy, was that an understatement. “We've had some catching up to do. Besides, Rin seemed really happy that you were here to keep her company.”
 
This time Shippou actually blushed.
 
InuYasha spoke up, “Don't worry, after this is over with we'll be back for you, OK? In the meantime, keep Rin safe. You might also talk to Kanti and see if he can give you some pointers while you are here.”
 
Shippou looked up at him questionably. InuYasha continued, “We don't know much about kitsune powers. Maybe he will teach you while we are away.”
 
Shippou nodded his head and replied, “He did offer, but I didn't think I would be here long enough. I should tell him OK.”
With that, he ran over to Rin who was waiting, grabbed her hand and took off to play again.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
Miroku held Sango to comfort her as she sobbed into his shoulder. He felt badly for her and didn't know what else to do other than wrap his arms around her and let her cry. He gently led her over to a bench and asked her to sit with him.
 
“Sango?”
 
Sango looked up at him with tear streak eyes as Miroku said, “Will you be my wife?”
 
Sango just threw her arms around him and sobbed even more heavily than before, “Miroku, do you mean it?”
 
“Yes,” he replied. “Seeing you hurt like that made me realize how short our time can be. I don't want to waste any more days that I could be with you. Seeing InuYasha and Kagome together has made me realize what I'm missing. I want the rest of my life to be with you.”
 
Sango looked up at him and he reached down and kissed her. When Sango pulled away she simply said, “Yes.”
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
It was barely dawn the next morning as the group prepared to leave. The kitchen made sure they had plenty of supplies for their journey, and Ah-Uhn looked ready for another adventure. InuYasha had agreed to ride the dragon with Kagome - he would rather be with her, and he couldn't travel as fast carrying her on his back as he could alone. Miroku and Sango were on Kirara and they took off as the sun was rising. Apparently Jaken would rather travel with his Lord and the rest of the group than be left behind again, so he was buried somewhere in Sesshomaru's fur piece.
 
InuYasha and Sesshomaru were wary - while the sun was still obscured by clouds, it would provide a blind spot if they dissipated. They hoped the first day's travel would be uneventful. It would take a complete fool to attack Lord Sesshomaru over his own territory.
 
They landed in a clearing next to a small creek as the sun reached midway in the sky. Ah-Uhn and Kirara required rest, and the others needed to relieve themselves and eat. Sesshomaru had pulled off Ah-Uhn's bridles so he could graze, and InuYasha stepped into the creek to swipe a couple of fish out of the water for Kirara. Kagome and Sango pulled some of the food out packed by the kitchen staff for a cold lunch. They ate in silence with InuYasha and Sesshomaru's eyes constantly roaming. InuYasha's ears were flicking back and forth listening for anyone who might try to creep up on them. Being careful to not do anything to draw attention to themselves, they were airborne again after Ah-Uhn and Kirara were rested.
 
The first attack came that afternoon. Two hawk youkai dove into them from the sun, aiming for Kagome. Sesshomaru and InuYasha smelled and felt them coming at them from behind. Kagome could feel their presence as well, and drew an arrow and notched her bow. She turned and fired in one swift motion. The nearest hawk never knew what hit it - it was vaporized into a cloud of dust.
 
The second hawk screeched as the first disappeared in front of its eyes. The girl was NOT supposed to have that kind of power! She was supposed to be helpless. Any other thoughts vanished as its head was separated from its body. Sesshomaru had lashed out with his whip and decapitated the youkai in one swift move. Miroku pulled off his prayer beads and drew in the remains before they hit the ground so there would be no evidence of the encounter.
 
They made it to the area that Sesshomaru had intended to make camp. Ah-Uhn and Kirara were both exhausted and needed a good night's sleep. There were a series of caves, including one hidden behind a waterfall, along with an area of good grass for Ah-Uhn. Once again, Sesshomaru pulled the bridles off of the two heads and turned him loose to graze.
 
Not wanting to draw attention to themselves, they did not start a fire. Dinner would again be cold rations. As he had done at lunch, InuYasha plunged into the stream to catch more fish for Kirara. She was working hard to keep the pace that Sesshomaru had set, and deserved a good meal. Fortunately, Kirara didn't mind if the fish were raw.
 
Sesshomaru stiffened as he felt a youkai approach. InuYasha reached over and touched his shoulder with his hand - he knew that stench. Two sets of amber eyes were shimmering at Koga as he stepped out of the trees at the edge of the clearing.
 
Kagome softly called, “Koga - you received Sesshomaru's message!”
 
Koga's eyes opened wide, “You've taken mutt-face as your mate.”
 
He looked from Kagome to InuYasha. InuYasha just grinned, but Koga could feel the power radiating from them. What he felt the day that Kagome told him to take a hike wasn't anything compared to this.
 
Koga finally spoke, “It's apparent that the rumors that Naraku has been spreading aren't true.”
 
InuYasha replied, “Sesshomaru found out that Naraku thinks Kagome will have weakened or even lost her power because she has become my mate.”
 
Koga just shook his head as he said, “He's in for a surprise.”
 
Sesshomaru finally addressed the wolf demon, “Have you heard anything else?”
 
Koga responded to Sesshomaru, “Just that he's promised those that help him defeat you they will be given their own lands to rule, and he intends to take over your castle once he has killed you.”
 
There was an audible growl from Sesshomaru as Koga informed them of the other rumors he had picked up.
 
Kagome finally spoke up, “We think he will come after us in our village since that is where it all began fifty years ago.”
 
Koga looked at her thoughtfully as he replied, “If we have the last jewel shards not in his possession, he'll come after us. If we're there, then that's where he'll come.”
 
Kagome looked seriously at Koga as she said, “Koga, you know at some point before we meet him you'll have to give me your jewel shards.”
 
Koga replied, “I know, but I would like to keep them at least until we reach the village. I'll give them to you before we meet Naraku.”
 
Miroku and Sango had silently watched the exchange. Sango finally asked, “Should we set camp and eat before it is too dark to see?”
 
InuYasha answered, “She's right. With no fire we won't have much light. We should eat and set up in the caves.”
 
InuYasha turned to Koga as he said, “Come with me so we can check them out.”
 
Koga followed InuYasha to check out the caves along with the one behind the waterfall. When he could stand it no longer, he finally asked, “So when did you…”
 
“Take Kagome as my mate?” InuYasha finished for him.
 
“Yea,” Koga answered.
 
“While we were at Sesshomaru's home,” InuYasha informed him.
 
“How long…”
 
“Five days,” InuYasha grinned.
 
“I underestimated you, mutt-face,” It was Koga's turn to stare at InuYasha with amazement.
 
InuYasha and Koga came back to the others. Kagome handed them their dinner as InuYasha told them their plan. InuYasha, Sesshomaru and Ah-Uhn would take one of the caves near the waterfall while the girls, Miroku and Koga along with Kirara would stay in the one behind the waterfall. He should have known Kagome would object.
 
“I belong with you!”
 
“But…but I just want you to be safe!” InuYasha responded.
 
“I'm safe as long as I'm with you!” Kagome insisted.
 
InuYasha looked at his brother. Sesshomaru didn't help, “Your mate belongs with you. She's the one they're after.”
 
InuYasha knew he was outnumbered, “Keh.”
 
Sango, Miroku, Koga and Kirara retired to the cave under the fall. InuYasha knew that Koga would stay awake to keep watch over the others. Kagome lay on top of her sleeping bag. As much as she wanted to climb in it with InuYasha, she knew she couldn't be encumbered if they were attacked during the night. She settled in as InuYasha sat back against the cave wall, pulling her head into his lap. He would doze on and off during the night, but not truly sleep.
 
Ah-Uhn was near the mouth of the cave, asleep with Jaken leaning against him. Sesshomaru sat with one leg stretched out, the other knee raised with his arm draped across it. He needed little sleep and would keep watch.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
The night passed without incident. InuYasha was grateful, as he knew it would be another long day of travel. However, they were not able to take off without a confrontation. What could only be described as a really big three-eyed snake came at them as he was setting Kagome on Ah-Uhn's back. Having missed out on the action the day before, he drew Tetsusaiga and charged - he was hankering for a good fight. InuYasha was disappointed. The snake opened its mouth to strike, and InuYasha leaped forward as he caught the jaw and continued traveling forward until he had split the body horizontally from one end to the other. As he reached the tail he thought, `I need a better way to kill serpents. First the self-proclaimed Water God, then that giant soul catcher - this is boring.'
 
Once again, Miroku stepped up for cleanup before they left.
 
 
~~~~~~~0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0~~~~~~~
 
 
Fortunately, there were no more attacks during the day. As they had done the day before, they stopped for lunch so that Kirara and Uh-Uhn could rest. Koga had decided he would rather run, being happier on the ground. With the jewel shards he was almost as fast as Kirara and Uh-Uhn were in the air - he just had to deal with the changing terrain.
 
They reached the village in the late afternoon. They were met by villagers screaming about attacking youkai as they ran for Kaede and cover. Kaede came out of her hut and her mouth dropped at the sight that met her.
 
InuYasha and Kagome were on Ah-Uhn's back flying alongside Miroku and Sango on Kirara's. What she had never witnessed before was the air-borne Sesshomaru, floating along as if he hadn't a care in the world. While she knew she should be afraid, she could feel that Sesshomaru had no ill intent. She was also curious about the massive amount of power that was radiating from the group - or rather InuYasha and Kagome.
 
As they landed in front of her, Koga appeared in a dust cloud from the forest.
 
Kaede looked around and asked, “Where is Shippou? No harm has come to him, has it?”
 
Kagome replied, “He stayed back at Sesshomaru's castle with Rin.”
 
Kaede looked at her, puzzled, “Why did you leave them behind?”
 
InuYasha stepped forward, “We think Naraku is coming here after Kagome.”
 
“By the way, I don't think you have been formally introduced to my brother, Lord Sesshomaru.”
 
Kaede looked the group over with amazement, but her eyes had widened at the mention of Sesshomaru's name, remembering the damage he had inflicted on InuYasha.
 
Kagome brought her back to the present, “A lot has happened and we have much to discuss. Let's go inside. But first, Sesshomaru, what do we need to do for Ah-Uhn?”
 
Sesshomaru asked, “Is there an area nearby where he can graze and get water?”
 
Kaede responded by pointing in the direction of grass and the river.
 
“Jaken.”
 
“Yes, My Lord?” Jaken replied as he reappeared out of Sesshomaru's fur.
 
“Take Ah-Uhn and remain with him. Remove his bridle when you reach the area so he can graze.”
 
“Yes, My Lord”
 
Jaken picked up the reins and led Ah-Uhn in the direction that Kaede had pointed.
 
Watching them walk away Kaede said, “Come inside, please.” It was going to be crowded in her hut.
 
They sat around the fire pit as Kagome, InuYasha, Miroku, and Sango alternated in relaying the stories of what had happened since they had headed west. Kaede had a stew cooking, so they were happy to have a simple, but hot meal.
 
Kaede finally said, “You've left something out.”
 
Kagome looked at InuYasha, she knew what Kaede meant and answered, “InuYasha and I are mates.”
 
Kaede just looked at them and said, “It's about time.”
 
InuYasha and Kagome blushed, Sesshomaru raised an eyebrow, and everyone else laughed.
 
They knew there would be no way for them all to fit in the hut to sleep. Plus, Sesshomaru and Koga weren't really comfortable. They went out to find a spot outside for the night.
 
InuYasha took Kagome's hand and led her out of the hut, intending to get at least a few minutes alone with her. However, he came to a stop as he looked toward the Sacred Tree and said, “Fuck.”
 
Kagome saw what he saw - soul catchers.
 
“Kikyou.”