InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Blood & Tears ❯ Home Again ( Chapter 7 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the characters from the series (they are the property of Rumiko Takahashi and Sunrise), but I do own Kaminari, Kaiho, and the lovely Kichou.
 
AN: Thank you to those of you who have taken the time to leave a review. I do read them and they help to inspire me to keep writing.
 
Blood & Tears
 
 
Chapter 7: Home Again
 
 
Kagome and InuYasha followed Sesshomaru through the doors to his home in the early morning hours. Most of the household was asleep, but they were met by a single Inu-youkai who was as formidable looking as Sesshomaru. He was about the same height as the Demon Lord, but had jet-black hair trailing down his back and his face was marked with a red slash on each cheek. He said not a word as Sesshomaru motioned to him and followed behind InuYasha and Kagome to what appeared to be a study.
 
Sesshomaru closed the door before he spoke. “Kaminari, you know of my half-brother, InuYasha. The miko is his intended. Her name is Kagome.”
 
Kagome started - she had never heard Sesshomaru actually speak her name before.
 
Sesshomaru continued, “This is Kaminari, he is the head of my staff and advisor. He also served under our father. He can be trusted.”
 
Kaminari nodded at InuYasha and Kagome. “Welcome to the home of Lord Sesshomaru. I am sorry we were not prepared for your arrival. We did not expect you until midday.”
 
Sesshomaru answered him, “Circumstances forced us to continue through the night. It is just as well. Kaminari, have you had anything unusual happen? Anyone within the staff you are concerned about?”
 
Kaminari raised an eyebrow. “How did you know? I was planning to speak to you after you arrived and your guests taken care of. I do not trust that weasel Doki. I have not caught him, but I am sure he is up to something. Rin overheard part of a conversation he had with two others in his unit. She tried to tell Jaken, but he dismissed it because Doki is a full demon. Rin did not want to tell me because Jaken had already told her she was just a foolish human, but I know Rin is loyal to you.
 
Sesshomaru sighed. He wished that Jaken were half as observant and obedient as Rin.
 
Sesshomaru realized they were all still standing. He motioned for them to sit in the chairs in front of the fireplace.
 
“Miko, what can you tell me. Is it near?” Sesshomaru asked after they were seated.
 
“It's just west of here,” Kagome replied.
 
Kaminari looked at Sesshomaru. “The guards' quarters? What is she referring to?”
 
Sesshomaru nodded at Kagome so she answered, “Someone here has the last shard of the Shikon no Tama. It gives additional power and strength to anyone who wishes to use it.”
 
Kaminari looked at Kagome in wonder. “You are the miko who gathers the shards to complete the jewel.”
 
He turned to InuYasha (who was now growling) and continued, “And you are the hanyou who travels with her and protects her. I had not realized you were Lord Sesshomaru's half-brother. I am honored to finally meet you. You are truly your father's son.”
 
Kagome looked at InuYasha. “I think you can stop growling. I don't think Kaminari has any designs on the jewel. He is like Sesshomaru; he has true power without it.”
 
InuYasha looked a bit sheepish. He had overreacted after the encounter with the demons the previous day and then the wolves. “Keh.”
 
There was a soft knock at the door. Kaminari got up to answer and opened it for a tall and pretty Inu-youkai to enter. Her hair and eyes were both chocolate brown. “This is my mate, Kaiho.”
 
Kaiho bowed to Sesshomaru and his guests. “I am sorry to intrude. When Kaminari did not return to our quarters, I thought you might have arrived early with your guests. I wanted to see if there is anything I can do.”
 
Sesshomaru addressed her, “Thank you, Kaiho. This is my brother, InuYasha and his intended, Kagome.”
 
Turning to Kagome he said, “I do not think anything will happen tonight. No one knows you are here yet but Kaminari and his mate. Kaiho will show you to your quarters so you can get some sleep.”
 
Turning back to Kaiho and Kaminari Sesshomaru said, “Put them in the suite that adjoins my quarters. We know there is treachery afoot. Tell no one that we are here yet.”
 
Kaminari and Kaiho bowed to Sesshomaru. “As you wish.”
 
Kaiho looked at Kagome and InuYasha. “If you will follow me, please, I will show you to your quarters.”
 
InuYasha retrieved Kagome's backpack and threw it over his shoulder. Kagome swayed on her feet as she stood, so he swooped her up as well. “Oi, wench. You need rest.”
 
Kagome yawned and nodded. “Thank you, Sesshomaru,” she said as InuYasha followed Kaiho out the door.
 
 
Kaminari closed the door behind them and turned back to Sesshomaru. “So InuYasha will take the miko as his mate?”
 
Sesshomaru nodded in response. “And since she was raped by the wolf, I have to attend to make sure she is not forced.”
 
Kaminari grinned. “I do not think that will be a problem. Do you intend to claim her as well?”
 
Sesshomaru looked up. “I told them I would only if they agreed to it. There are demons that would disregard InuYasha's mark because he is hanyou. The miko is powerful and would be desired by others. The wolf wanted her because she can sense the sacred jewel shards from great distances, and see them where they are hidden. In addition she carries the nearly completed jewel. After I saved them both and helped them recover, they decided that they want me to mark her so nothing like that ever happens again.”
 
Kaminari said thoughtfully, “I thought you always considered your father's attraction to InuYasha's mother a weakness.”
 
Sesshomaru looked at his advisor. Only Kaminari could say something so blunt to him and not be punished. “I know you can smell her on me. Let us just say I greatly underestimated human females. I had no idea that they were so passionate.”
 
Kaminari just grinned.
 
Sesshomaru turned serious again. “We need to make plans for tomorrow and the treachery that is planned.”
 
Kaminari nodded and joined Sesshomaru at his desk.
 
 
InuYasha carried Kagome down the hall, following Kaiho to their quarters. He set her on her feet when they entered the large suite. Kaiho showed them where everything was. The sitting area also had a door that led directly into Sesshomaru's quarters. InuYasha and Kagome thanked Kaiho as she left. InuYasha went over and locked the door behind her and picked Kagome up and carried her to the bed - she was asleep on her feet. He left the door that joined with Sesshomaru's quarters unlocked so Sesshomaru could enter if he wished. InuYasha helped Kagome out of her clothes and set her on the bed that had already been turned down. After stripping his own off, he climbed in with her. He pulled her into his body and pulled the covers up over them. InuYasha was hoping she would be too tired for nightmares.
 
Unfortunately, the incidents the day before weighed into Kagome's dreams. The encounter with the wolves had probably caused the most damage. Kagome had not been asleep very long before she started to moan and whimper. She flipped over into InuYasha and was trying to bury herself in his chest. He rubbed her back and whispered in her ear, but it wasn't working this time. He hated to, but he was going to have to wake her to break her out of this one. He found her lips and kissed her as he pulled her close to him. She responded to the gentle probing of his tongue and woke up.
 
“InuYasha.”
 
“I'm sorry. I couldn't get your nightmare to go away. You were getting worse.”
 
Kagome reached up and felt her face. “I was crying.”
 
“Yeah. I didn't know what to do. Usually I can get you to settle back down, but yesterday must have been too much,” InuYasha said quietly.
 
Kagome kissed him again. “Well, we know what helps. Are you too tired?”
 
“Never for you,” he replied, and he reached down and stroked between her legs. As she moaned in pleasure he slid down the bed and went to work with his tongue. After she had climaxed, he scooted back up next to her and kissed her again. “Better?”
 
“Thank you, InuYasha.”
 
She started to reach for him but InuYasha stopped her. “I'm okay. You can make it up to me later. You need some sleep.”
 
In truth InuYasha was hard, but he knew Kagome needed rest more than he needed his release. He kissed her again before pulling her back into his body to try and sleep. At least this time when she would start to whimper in her dreams, he was able to chase them away. InuYasha finally drifted off to sleep himself, after Kagome's breathing had evened out and she was sleeping peacefully again.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
Sesshomaru had spent an hour or more with Kaminari after InuYasha and Kagome had been taken to their quarters. They discussed who was likely to be involved and what they were likely to try. When they had discussed every conceivable possibility, they each retired to their quarters.
 
Sesshomaru silently entered the quarters that InuYasha and Kagome were occupying to check on them. He could smell the miko's tears but it looked like InuYasha had calmed her down and soothed her back to sleep. Sesshomaru did not wake them. They would need to be rested for tomorrow. Sesshomaru was fairly certain that whoever had the jewel shard wouldn't wait too long to make their move now that he was back with the pair.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
They were gently shaken awake the next morning by Sesshomaru. InuYasha did not need as much rest as Kagome did and was in pretty good shape, but Kagome was tired after the short night's sleep and the fact she did not sleep well. She felt a kiss brush her cheek as InuYasha tried to bring her to her senses. Finally remembering where she was, Kagome stretched and yawned as she said, “I need a good bath.”
 
Sesshomaru looked at them both as they started to get up. “No one knows we are back yet. Kaiho will bring breakfast for the three of us to my quarters. Normally the kitchen staff would do this, but she wants to make sure that it does not leak out that we have returned.”
 
Kagome looked at him. “Won't someone be suspicious that she takes that much food?”
 
Sesshomaru replied, “Not really. Kaminari has a ravenous appetite. It is also not unusual for Kaiho to get food for them and bring it back herself. The kitchen staff appreciate it when they are busy. They will think nothing is out of the ordinary.”
 
InuYasha finally spoke, “Won't the others smell that you have returned? Or smell us?”
 
“My quarters and this suite are off-limits except to a select few. My return and your arrival should remain a secret for a while longer,” Sesshomaru answered and then continued, “You may take a bath if you wish. Kaiho will not be back with your breakfast for a while yet.”
 
Kagome yawned again. “It might help me wake up. Come on, InuYasha. You can scrub my back.”
 
“Keh,” InuYasha replied as she took his hand and led him to the bath that was part of their suite.
 
As best as Kagome could determine, hot springs ran under the castle and were used to feed the bath. She stopped long enough to retrieve her soap and puff from her backpack, and then went to settle in the warm water with InuYasha. Kagome was so comfortable she almost went back to sleep in the water.
 
“Oi, wench. You're supposed to be waking up, not going back to sleep,” InuYasha said as he kissed her.
 
“I know, I'm just so tired. I wonder what will happen today? Sesshomaru didn't seem to think that whoever has the jewel shard would wait long to make a move after we arrived.” Kagome was still yawning.
 
“InuYasha, do you still want to become a full demon when we complete the jewel?” Kagome asked quietly.
 
“I…I had wanted to become a full demon like Sesshomaru. I wanted to be stronger. But…but I didn't like what I became when I transformed. It wasn't what I thought. Then you said you liked me as hanyou,” Kagome could barely hear InuYasha's reply his voice was so soft.
 
“No, InuYasha. I said I love you as a hanyou. I love you the way you are. I accept your demon side and human side as part of you, and I wouldn't want you to lose either. But no matter what you decide, I will love you just the same,” Kagome replied.
 
InuYasha kissed her again. “I don't deserve you, Kagome.”
 
Kagome smiled when she answered, “And I keep thinking I don't deserve you.” She reached up to rub an ear as she continued, “plus you have these great ears.”
 
InuYasha just leaned into her hand as his chest rumbled.
 
They looked up in the doorway to see Sesshomaru there. “Breakfast is ready if you want to get dressed. I will be waiting.”
 
He turned and left as silently as he had appeared.
 
 
Kagome gasped when they entered Sesshomaru's living quarters. He had what was basically a house within the castle. They walked through his beautiful and well-furnished sitting room to his dining room where their breakfast was waiting. There was an assortment of meats, fruits, and cheeses on the table. Sesshomaru waved at them to help themselves, so Kagome and InuYasha each picked up a plate and filled it with what was appealing to them. Well, Kagome picked a little of several different things. InuYasha looked like he was trying to see how much would fit on his plate. Kagome just grinned. She knew he had to be hungry after eating so little the last couple of days. She was also surprised at how hungry she was. After eating everything on her plate, she filled it up again.
 
Kaminari came in to join them as they were finishing up. A blur raced by and stopped at Sesshomaru.
 
“Lord Sesshomaru, you are home! Why did you not tell Rin?” the little girl asked.
 
“You were asleep. We arrived late last night. Have you been well?” Lord Sesshomaru answered.
 
“Yes, my Lord, but I am much better now that you are home,” Rin replied. “You brought InuYasha-sama and Kagome-sama with you.”
 
Kagome and InuYasha both smiled in acknowledgement at Rin.
 
“Rin, Kaminari tells me you overheard Doki when he was speaking with two others. Will you tell me what he said?” Sesshomaru asked the girl very gently.
 
Rin bowed her head. “Jaken told me I am a foolish human to think such things. Doki-sama is a full youkai and would not betray you.”
 
“Rin, you are not foolish. It could be important. Can you tell me what you heard?” Sesshomaru asked again.
 
“It did not make sense. Doki-sama said there was a piece, and soon he would have all. The miko would give him what he wanted and then he would be in charge,” Rin said.
 
InuYasha was growling again. He knew a threat against Kagome when he heard one.
 
Kaminari and Sesshomaru both looked at InuYasha as he said, “It sounds like they intend to do something to try and force Kagome to help them and give them the jewel. Who is this Doki, anyway?”
 
Kaminari answered him, “He is a captain in the guards and commands his own unit. The entire unit may be involved, or it may be just a few. We will not know until they act.”
 
“What type of youkai?” InuYasha asked.
 
“Weasels,” replied Kaminari.
 
“Weasels…I don't care for them. They tend to be sneaky and underhanded,” InuYasha responded.
 
“Aye, but excellent as spies when they are loyal,” Kaminari answered. “However, Doki has risen as far as he can here. It sounds like he wants even more power.”
 
“And a sacred jewel shard would give him the advantage he thinks he needs,” Kagome finally spoke. “However, we don't know for certain that it is he that actually has it. What plan have you come up with?”
 
“Kaminari has had time to place guards around the castle and grounds that he is certain are loyal. Most are from his personal unit. Shortly we are going to go for a tour of the castle and grounds to show you and InuYasha around. We believe they will attack at some point because they will think our guard is down. Doki has never had much patience, and he is greedy,” Sesshomaru paused and turned to Rin, “Rin, you are to stay here when we go out.”
 
“No, My Lord,” Rin stated.
 
Sesshomaru actually raised an eyebrow. “No?”
 
“That would make them suspicious, My Lord. They know I am usually with you. They know I know Kagome-sama and InuYasha-sama and would go with you to show them the castle,” Rin said simply.
 
Sesshomaru sighed. The logic of the ten-year old girl astounded him. “If you go, will you do as I say?” Sesshomaru asked even though he already knew the answer.
 
“Yes, My Lord. You know I will obey you,” She answered.
 
“All right. We will prepare to go out shortly,” Sesshomaru said.
 
Kaminari was trying not to grin. He knew Rin was loyal, wise beyond her years, obedient, and had Lord Sesshomaru wrapped around her little finger.
 
 
The rest of the household and staff had now been alerted to Lord Sesshomaru's return. Rin was holding Kagome's hand as they showed them around the castle. All of the castle staff they came in contact with were respectful and bowed as they passed. InuYasha could hear some whispers, but more out of curiosity than malice. Apparently a number of them had served under his father and were commenting on how much InuYasha looked like him. None seemed too surprised he was taking a human as his mate.
 
After seeing much of what was indoors, they went outside to the gardens. Kagome caught her breath at the beauty of it all. Rin was telling them about all of the different types of trees, bushes and flowers and made Kagome suspect that a lot of this was her doing.
 
As they were walking through the garden paths and coming close to the woods that surrounded them Kagome said, “There is a jewel shard coming toward us from our right.”
 
She knew both InuYasha and Sesshomaru would hear her as they continued walking like nothing was happening.
 
They stopped when a weasel youkai crossed the path in front of them.
 
“Doki,” Sesshomaru stated.
 
Kagome said, “It's not him. It's to our right.”
 
InuYasha and Sesshomaru both snarled when they turned to the right to see an Inu-Youkai with steel blue hair approaching.
 
“Sesshomaru, you are weak. You have been consorting with a half-breed and a human. It was bad enough when you bought the human child home with you. But now you have brought this filth into the castle and smell of the human bitch. You are not fit to be Lord of the Western Lands. I will kill you and take the jewel from the human and control all.”
 
“Tougai. You think you can defeat me?” Sesshomaru questioned him.
 
Tougai's response was to start to transform into his true form.
 
“The jewel shard is embedded in his forehead!” Kagome called to them as InuYasha drew Tessaiga and transformed it. Kagome felt naked without her bow and arrows, but Kaminari had appeared from nowhere and placed them in her hands as he started to transform as well.
 
Sesshomaru had turned back to Doki. “Do you intend to join with Tougai?”
 
Doki responded by drawing his blade. Sesshomaru drew Tokijin and went after Doki and his band of weasels that had joined him.
 
“Rin! Stay behind us!” Kagome called, but much to her surprise Jaken appeared with Ah-Uhn.
 
“Foolish girl - get out of the way!” Jaken called. Ah-Uhn set down long enough for Kagome to throw Rin up on his back and he took to the air again.
 
Kaminari and Tougai were now in a huge dogfight, snarling and snapping at each other. Kagome was thankful that apparently neither of them was poisonous like Sesshomaru because it appeared that the spit that was flying all over was just spit. Because of the added power of the jewel shard, Tougai was starting to gain the advantage. Kagome was afraid to shoot because she might hit Kaminari instead as the two giant dogs attacked each other.
 
Tougai managed to throw Kaminari aside and came after Kagome. She fired an arrow at him, but only clipped him. InuYasha was attacking him with Tessaiga, but was too close to everyone to use the Wind Scar, and Tougai's body kept repairing itself because of the jewel shard. Tougai reached out with a giant paw and caught Kagome and sent her flying. With her scream, InuYasha's eyes went red.
 
Kagome may not have been InuYasha's mate officially yet, but apparently his youkai considered her so. It did not matter that Tessaiga was in his hand, though InuYasha dropped it and the fang reverted to its normal resting state as he transformed. Eyes blood red with blue pupils, streaks on his cheeks, InuYasha went after Tougai with a vengeance. NO ONE would harm his mate.
 
Tougai screamed as InuYasha lit into him with his claws and fangs. InuYasha tore off the top of his head where the jewel shard was embedded and Tougai screamed again. He gave one last shriek as InuYasha ripped his throat out. Tougai fell as his blood poured out onto the ground. InuYasha landed lightly on his feet and was growling as he looked at the others.
 
Sesshomaru and those from Kaminari's unit that had joined him had dispatched with all that had dared join Tougai. Kaminari had changed back into his human form and was lying on the ground, breathing heavily. InuYasha turned and there was Kagome, clutching her side as she slowly approached him, Tessaiga in her hand.
 
“InuYasha, it's over. I need for you to come back,” Kagome said softly.
 
Sesshomaru very quietly told everyone to stay where they were. They did not want to do anything to threaten full-demon InuYasha.
 
Kagome gasped and sunk to her knees. She was bleeding where Tougai had caught her. “InuYasha, please, I need you.”
 
InuYasha ran to her and pulled her to his chest, stroking her hair. When Kagome opened her eyes, she was looking at beautiful amber eyes again. “I knew you'd come back to me. We need to get the jewel shard, and then I need someone to bandage my side.”
 
“Where is the shard?” InuYasha asked. He wanted to retrieve it and get her back inside as soon as possible.
 
Kagome pointed at a chunk of flesh that used to be the top of Tougai's head. “It's there.”
 
InuYasha retrieved the chunk in question and Kagome pried out the shard.
 
“Is everyone else okay?” She asked.
 
Sesshomaru had approached now that InuYasha was back to normal. “Everyone is fine. Kaminari had the wind knocked out of him and has some cuts and bruises, but he will be fine. We need to take you in so my healer can tend to your wounds.”
 
Jaken had apparently decided the coast was clear and had landed Ah-Uhn with Rin. Rin jumped down and ran to Sesshomaru. “Lord Sesshomaru, are you well?”
 
“Yes, Rin. I am unharmed. Jaken, where did you come from?” Sesshomaru asked.
 
“Lord Sesshomaru! You returned and did not tell me!” Jaken sounded hurt.
 
“I had my reasons. Why did you dismiss what Rin told you?” Sesshomaru asked.
 
“I…I did not think, My Lord,” Jaken replied.
 
“That much is clear, but you did ensure Rin was removed from any harm,” Sesshomaru responded as he took Rin by the hand. “The Miko's wounds must be attended to as must Kaminari's. Take them inside.”
 
InuYasha had returned Tessaiga to his side and had Kagome in his arms. He didn't need to be told twice. Two of Kaminari's unit helped Kaminari to his feet, but he insisted on walking under his own power once he was standing.
 
An anxious Kaiho came running out to meet them. She ran to her mate and insisted on helping him inside. The healer had already been told her services were needed, and she was waiting for them. Kaminari asserted he was fine and for her to tend to Kagome first.
 
InuYasha carried Kagome to their quarters and helped her pull off her t-shirt and sweats. Tougai's paw had caught her in the side and the bruises and slashes went from her under her arm down to her knee. She was also bruised on the other side where she had landed hard on the ground, but fortunately, there were no serious injuries. The healer checked everything and told Kagome she would be fine. She mainly needed rest and a chance for her bruises and cuts to heal.
 
The healer also double-checked InuYasha due to the amount of blood on him, but it turned out none of it was his own. She suggested that they both leave their clothes to be cleaned.
 
After the healer left, Kagome turned to InuYasha and said, “We need another bath.”
 
InuYasha followed silently after her. He wanted to wash Tougai's blood off of him. He didn't even have to ask Kagome to bring her shampoo.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
After his mate and the healer had cleared Kaminari he went to Sesshomaru's study and closed the door behind him.
 
Sesshomaru looked up. “You want to know what happened.”
 
“Not just that, but what has changed your mind about InuYasha and the miko? I started noticing small changes after you found Rin, but it was not that long ago you were still trying to eradicate your half-brother from the face of the earth,” Kaminari replied.
 
“I will start with InuYasha first, though I am not sure what happened this time except that the miko's life was threatened. Normally Tessaiga acts as a seal on his demon blood. When he transformed before, it was because the sword had been broken, or he lost his grip on it and his life was threatened. His demon blood takes over to save his life, but it is too much for his human body to control. He has no sense of fear and feels no pain. He basically will keep killing until he is destroyed.”
 
“But the miko, she was not afraid of him,” Kaminari stated thoughtfully.
 
“No, she never has been, even when she probably should be,” Sesshomaru answered, then continued, “The first time I knew something was different I smelled the change in his blood, and a powerful demon that was an incarnation of Naraku had been slain. I went to see Bokusenou to find out what he knew. He told me about the sword acting as a seal for InuYasha's demon blood. The first time I truly witnessed his transformation for myself InuYasha lost his sword while fighting a moth demon and the bandits he led. InuYasha had slaughtered all of them, even the ones begging for their lives. When I arrived, the miko was walking toward him, trying to calm him and get him to take Tessaiga so he would transform back. He felt my presence when I arrived, and turned on me. I was finally able to bring him down and stop him. The girl thought I was going to kill him and threw herself over his body. She even yelled at me to get away and called me baka. I told her to give Tessaiga back to him and left.”
 
“She yelled at you and lived?” Kaminari asked in wonder.
 
“Oh, it was not the first time. You might as well sit, this is going to take a while,” Sesshomaru told him.
 
Sesshomaru started from the beginning. Kaminari knew that Sesshomaru had been angry with his father for leaving the Tessaiga to InuYasha, but now Sesshomaru told him the whole story. Starting with how Jaken had come up with the plan to use the Un-Mother to trick InuYasha into revealing the whereabouts of their father's tomb, how Sesshomaru had pulled the black pearl from InuYasha's eye and opened the tomb with the intent of taking the sword. Also how Kagome had come with InuYasha, had been the one who pulled the sword from its plinth, how Sesshomaru had tried to kill her with his poison, and how the sword's ward had protected her and then the miko had the gall to point at him and yell. Then how he had underestimated InuYasha and lost his arm.
 
Kaminari sat in fascination as Sesshomaru told him everything. Sesshomaru told him about Naraku giving him the human arm with the jewel shard so he could wield Tessaiga, how the miko deduced what he had done and fired arrows at him, and the incredible strength and speed that InuYasha could summon when it came to protecting her. Sesshomaru told Kaminari about trying to destroy Tessaiga if he could not possess it, and InuYasha using the Wind Scar on him, which made him finally start to realize the value of his own sword their father had bequeathed him when it saved him. Then he even told Kaminari how he had discovered that InuYasha had defeated Ryuukotsusei and obliterated any trace of the demon.
 
He also spoke of his amazement the first time he saw the Tessaiga turn red to take down a barrier, and even more so, to his surprise when he found out that InuYasha had never really wanted to fight him - that Sesshomaru had survived the Wind Scar because InuYasha didn't have it in his heart to kill his only brother, even though Sesshomaru had tried to kill him. Finally that he had found out as late as this morning, when he overheard them in the bath, that InuYasha had only wanted to become a full demon, like him.
 
When he finally stopped, Kaminari asked quietly, “So you are no longer ashamed to have a hanyou for a brother?”
 
Sesshomaru shook his head. “I have seen InuYasha stand up against foes that have sent many demons running in fear. He may be hanyou, but he has honor and strength. Even before we finally defeated Naraku, he had come close and sent Naraku running. When I heard him the day the wolf demons attacked, he was still trying to fight against the wolves even though his arm and leg had been shattered. He does not know the meaning of quit. It must be the human half - I have never known a demon so stubborn.”
 
“And the miko?” Kaminari asked.
 
“She is strong, and she is willful. She has risked her life for InuYasha and the others in their pack a number of times. She totally accepts InuYasha as he is, and is not afraid of him when he transforms. Even though I had attacked them on several occasions, when Rin was ill and I went to her the miko helped her without hesitation. When I saved them from the wolves, she totally submitted and trusted me to help them. I had always considered humans as weak, but she is not. Neither were the others that traveled with them until Naraku was defeated.”
 
“Why has InuYasha not taken her as his mate before now?” Kaminari was curious.
 
“In addition to fearing her rejection, and remembering how his mother had been treated, he was concerned that because she is human, and I am the eldest…”
 
“You would kill her without hesitation,” Kaminari finished for him.
 
“Yes,” Sesshomaru answered, and then continued, “It took the incident with the wolf-demons for us to realize that InuYasha truly wanted Kagome as his mate, she wanted to be his mate, and I no longer wished either of them dead. It has taken a long time for me to accept that it was not InuYasha's fault that Father fell in love with his mother and died protecting her, and that InuYasha was born. As InuYasha realized long before I did, he is my only family. It is time to move forward.”
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
Kagome and InuYasha were sitting in the bath. They had scrubbed each other's hair and bodies, and were just enjoying the warm water. Kagome had the now complete jewel hanging around her neck.
 
“InuYasha?”
 
“Huuum?” InuYasha was about to doze off in the water.
 
“Do you know what happened today?”
 
InuYasha knew what she was referring to. “I don't know…I just remember hearing you scream and my blood started to boil. Even though you aren't officially my mate yet, I think my youkai recognizes you and wasn't going to let you get hurt. Does that make sense?”
 
Kagome reached up to rub an ear. “Yeah, I guess so. Even though you had Tessaiga you still transformed to protect me. When I told you I needed you, you came running. I knew you wouldn't hurt me.”
 
“You're not afraid of me even when you should be,” InuYasha said softly.
 
“I told you, you are you no matter which form you are in. They are part of who you are,” Kagome replied.
 
InuYasha leaned over and kissed her. “I still don't deserve you.”
 
“Well, you're stuck with me so get used to it,” Kagome smiled.
 
“Do you know when you'll be ready?” InuYasha asked.
 
“We'd better wait a day or two for the worst of my cuts and bruises to heal. I want to enjoy it, okay?” Kagome answered.
 
“Keh.”
 
“Kagome?”
 
“Hum?”
 
“Do you know what you want to do with the jewel?”
 
“I don't know except that I want to be able to go home first. We don't know what might happen to the well when the jewel is purified. I want to see Mama, Souta, and Grandpa again in case it closes.”
 
InuYasha kissed her in reply. The two of them settled back into the warm bath and fell asleep.
 
 
At some point InuYasha pried Kagome out of the bath, dried her off, and carried her to bed. That was where Sesshomaru found them, sound asleep, when it was time for dinner. He gently shook them awake and invited them back into his quarters for dinner.
 
Kagome and InuYasha dressed and went back to Sesshomaru's dining room. It looked like this time Rin was joining them as well as Kaminari and Kaiho. InuYasha and Kagome were both exceptionally hungry since they had missed lunch. Apparently Sesshomaru had decided they needed the sleep more than food, and had left them until dinner.
 
Rin chattered happily telling them everything she had done in Sesshomaru's absence, and even asked about Sango, Miroku and Shippou. Kagome told her that Sango and Miroku and gotten married and Shippou had gone to live with them. Kagome was grateful they did not discuss what had happened that day, including InuYasha's transformation. She also couldn't help but worry now that she had the complete Shikon no Tama. She knew that others were bound to come after it.
 
 
After dinner Kaminari and Kaiho excused themselves, and Rin did as well to go to her own quarters to prepare for bed. After they were gone, Sesshomaru addressed Kagome and InuYasha, “I apologize for the attack upon you in my home. All who were involved have been punished. You should be safe now.”
 
Kagome and InuYasha nodded so Sesshomaru continued, “If any others were thinking of such treachery because they thought you weak because you are a hanyou, they will have second thoughts after what they witnessed today.”
 
InuYasha started to speak, but Sesshomaru cut him off, “It is not your fault. I believe your youkai rose to protect your mate. You went only after the one who attacked her, and then you went to her when she called. You did not come after any of us who were not a threat.”
 
InuYasha nodded in response. He really didn't know what to say. Kagome had pulled his hand into her lap and was rubbing it.
 
Sesshomaru spoke again, “Do you know when you will wish to complete the mating ritual?”
 
Kagome answered him, “I'm pretty banged and bruised up after today. I would like to wait a day or two to heal.”
 
Sesshomaru nodded in agreement. “That is wise. It would be optimal to be in the best health since the ritual can be, well, vigorous.”
 
InuYasha finally spoke, “Where will we do it, since all three of us will be involved?”
 
Sesshomaru rose and motioned for them to follow. He led them to his bedchambers. Kagome gasped, he had a huge bed. It would be no problem for the three of them to fit. “I assume this will be satisfactory?”
 
Kagome and InuYasha just nodded in response.
 
InuYasha and Sesshomaru both noticed that Kagome was starting to droop a bit.
 
“Oi, wench, are you ready to go back to bed and sleep?” InuYasha asked.
 
Kagome yawned. Taking that as a `yes' InuYasha picked her up and headed back to their chambers. He wanted her to be healed and well rested when he finally took her as his mate.
 
 
To be continued…