InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Blood & Tears ❯ Wedding ( Chapter 20 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha but I do own Kaminari, Kaiho, and the lovely Kichou.
 
AN: Thank you to those of you who have taken the time to leave a review. They help to inspire me to keep writing.
 
Once again, I would like to give a huge “Thank you” to inufan625 for Beta reading every chapter. The time and effort she has taken to do this is greatly appreciated.
 
 
Blood & Tears
 
Chapter 20: Wedding
 
Sesshomaru had dropped InuYasha back at the shrine when InuYasha felt something of a panic wash over Kagome. Wondering what was going on, he went out to wait for her since he could tell they were not that far away. When the limo pulled up, he went to the car and didn't even wait for the driver to come and open the door. He had his arms full of Kagome as soon as she cleared the back seat.
 
With his arms wrapped around Kagome holding her to his chest he asked softly, “What's wrong?”
 
InuYasha noticed that Mama Higurashi looked a bit shell-shocked too so he looked to Kichou for an answer since neither of the other two was responding to his question.
 
“They just got a bit of a shock. It appears that just about everyone they invited to the reception is coming. They expected less than a hundred total, and right now we have nearly three hundred from the RSVPs,” Kichou told him.
 
“Three hundred?” InuYasha asked - now he wanted to run for cover. They knew he didn't like crowds.
 
Mama just nodded.
 
InuYasha picked Kagome up and carried her up to her room so that she could change into something more comfortable. Once she had changed into sweats, he took her down to collect her shoes and jacket and then out to the bench under Goshinboku.
 
“What's wrong, Kagome?” he asked her again as he held her to him.
 
“I…I didn't expect so many people to come. I was just planning on a small and quiet reception. What will they expect? I havn't even met a lot of my relatives, and many of them I haven't seen in years. Plus I know you don't like crowds. It is just too much,” Kagome said softly.
 
“Kagome, it'll be fine. Your mother will be there. Between her and Kichou I'm sure that everything will go as it's supposed to. Kagome, you're not sorry you are marrying me, are you?” InuYasha asked hesitantly.
 
“Oh, Kami, NO, InuYasha. That's not it at all. I'm just afraid that I will make a total fool out of myself in front of all of those people,” Kagome answered, and then added, “And somehow I don't feel right getting married without telling Kaede about it. Do you think she would mind if we went back long enough for that?”
 
InuYasha told Kagome to wait a minute as he ran into the house and upstairs to throw on his firerat and grab Tetsusaiga. He did not always carry it with him in the present, but he would not feel safe going back to the past without it or his firerat. InuYasha also took off his chain with the concealment charm before he came back to scoop Kagome up and head for the well house. InuYasha had thought that they should let the old miko know as well.
 
InuYasha leaped out of the well on the other side. Feeling that something was not quite right, he shifted Kagome to his back and took off at a run.
 
InuYasha could tell his brother was in the area, but he did not expect to find Sesshomaru next to Kaede who was lying partially propped up on her mat on the floor. InuYasha lowered Kagome to the floor as she asked, “What's wrong?”
 
Sesshomaru turned to them. “She said you were not supposed to come until the demon slayer was due to give birth. I am glad you are here because I do not know much about human illness. I told the other humans to stay clear in case what she has is catching. It would not do for the entire village to become ill. I would have gone for my healer but it would take at least two days to return with her.”
 
Kagome went and sat by Kaede's side and could hear her labored breathing. Her forehead was burning up in spite of the wet cloth that Sesshomaru was keeping on it. “Kaede, can you hear me?”
 
“Aye, child. What are you doing here?” Kaede asked.
 
“InuYasha and I came to tell you we are getting married in two days. Can you tell me what's wrong?” Kagome asked.
 
“I cannot breathe if I lay down, and all of my joints ache. I feel like I am being burned alive,” Kaede responded.
 
Kagome was afraid Kaede had either pneumonia or more likely the flu. Both were usually fatal during this era. The young miko thought about how she had been able to heal herself, InuYasha and Sesshomaru, so decided it was worth a try to see if she could help Kaede.
 
“Sesshomaru, you might want to step back. I'm not sure if this will work or not, or what the side effects might be if you are too close,” Kagome said. After all, she was not supposed to re-grow his arm for another five centuries.
 
Sesshomaru stood and stepped back against the wall with InuYasha as they watched Kagome take Kaede's hands into her own and then surround her with her aura. Kagome concentrated on reducing Kaede's fever, clearing her lungs, and freeing her joints from their aches and pains. Kaede was very ill and it took a lot of energy and concentration on Kagome's part. When Kagome finally felt that Kaede had been healed, her aura receded back into her body, and she passed out next to her.
 
“Kagome!” InuYasha cried as he ran to her side.
 
Kaede looked at Kagome on the floor next to her. “What did she do? Where did she learn that? I think she healed me.”
 
InuYasha had his hand to Kagome's forehead, but it was cool. He listened to her breathing and heartbeat and they were slow and regular. The energy she spent combined with her worry from before they had come had tapped her out. Kagome was asleep.
 
InuYasha gently kissed her on the forehead. “She's just exhausted from her effort. She learned to do that a few weeks ago. She probably needs to sleep for a little while and get her strength back.”
 
InuYasha picked Kagome up and moved her to a mat on the floor. He brushed the hair from her face and made sure she was comfortable. Satisfied that she was only asleep and not hurt or ill, he stood.
 
Kaede just stared at Kagome in amazement. She had no idea the young miko had that kind of power.
 
Sesshomaru thought this might be a good time to talk to his brother alone for a few minutes. “InuYasha, since you are here I need to speak with you. Alone. Miko, will you watch over her for a few minutes? I think she will be fine if she is only asleep.”
 
Kaede nodded. “And Lord Sesshomaru, thank you for what you did. I probably would have already died if you had not looked after me.”
 
Sesshomaru nodded as he led InuYasha, who had glanced back at Kagome, out the door and towards the Goshinboku.
 
They both sat on the tangle of roots at the base of the tree. InuYasha just looked patiently at his brother and waited for him to start.
 
“You are getting married?” Sesshomaru asked.
 
InuYasha remembered quickly that this Sesshomaru did not have the five hundred years additional experience that he did in the future. "Yeah. Humans can't really tell that we are mated, and the wedding ceremony is important to them. So we are getting married on Sunday. All of Kagome's relatives will be there.”
 
Sesshomaru just nodded. He understood that InuYasha probably wouldn't say too much that might affect the future, so he changed the subject. “Kagome will be in heat soon.”
 
InuYasha blushed, but nodded, so Sesshomaru continued, “I know she had that birth control shot you told me about, I assume that is why she was not in heat at anytime in my presence before.”
 
InuYasha nodded again. “The effects have just recently worn off, and her body is returning to normal.”
 
InuYasha decided he shouldn't tell Sesshomaru any more than necessary since he was going to be there when everything happened in five hundred years. He also thought Sesshomaru was about to give him the talk that he did after the incident occurred, but that was okay. This time he had some questions for him.
 
Sure enough, Sesshomaru launched into the discussion about mating that he had with InuYasha before. This time InuYasha was not quite as embarrassed and was more prepared to ask questions. He was still bright red when it was over, but thanked Sesshomaru for the information. Kagome was probably going to be fertile about the time they got married, and he didn't think she had been back to the doctor to find out about a different method of birth control yet. The information was probably about to come in handy.
 
They went back to the hut to find Kagome sitting up and talking with Kaede. She noticed the flushed color of InuYasha's face, but decided now was probably not the time to ask him about it. Instead she thanked Sesshomaru for taking care of Kaede.
 
InuYasha looked at his brother. “Yeah, what's that about? What were you doing here?”
 
“In order to keep demons from terrorizing the village in your absence, I made it known that I consider it under my protection when you are not here even though it is not on my lands. I come by periodically to check on it. I could not let the village miko die and leave it with no one to watch over it,” Sesshomaru answered, and then added, “I also wanted to find out when you would be coming back, but the miko did not expect you until it was time for the demon slayer to give birth. When you come at that time, I would like to request that you come to my home to inspect Kichou's and my marks since you are my only family member, and Kichou is expected give birth shortly after the demon slayer, so you will need to inspect my heir as well.”
 
Kagome jumped up and hugged Sesshomaru. “Tell Kichou congratulations for us, okay?”
 
InuYasha just grinned. His brother certainly didn't waste any time.
 
 
They were back on the bench under Goshinboku. Kagome seemed much calmer. She had apparently had a good talk with Kaede, plus healing the old miko had helped burn off almost all of the anxiety within her. After healing Kaede from what would probably have been a fatal illness in the feudal era, suddenly dealing with lots of unknown relatives seemed trivial. Right now Kagome was content for InuYasha to hold her in his lap under the tree.
 
Kagome was folded into his arms, buried under the protective folds of his haori with her face tucked into his shoulder when she finally asked, “Any chance you are going to tell me what Sesshomaru talked to you about?”
 
“Keh. I was just trying to figure out how to tell you,” InuYasha replied.
 
Kagome was silent and waited for him to gather his thoughts.
 
“Kagome, have you been back to the healer?” InuYasha asked quietly.
 
“Not lately, how come?” Kagome replied.
 
“You're probably going to be in heat in a couple of days,” InuYasha answered quietly.
 
It suddenly dawned on her what he was asking. “You want to know if I've got another method of birth control.”
 
“Keh.”
 
“InuYasha, I'm not sure what to do. Nearly all of the methods involve hormones of some kind, and after what happened with the shot, I'm kind of afraid. They don't recommend an IUD for someone my age because I still want to have children,” Kagome replied softly.
 
“Kagome, Sesshomaru told me something else I should have told you before - something he told me that night.”
 
“What is it, InuYasha?”
 
“Sesshomaru said that if you really wanted to get pregnant, you could in spite of the birth control. Apparently you could override the hormones just like you did when you healed yourself that night. He said that if I offered you fertile seed when you were in heat you would be able to accept it if you really wanted to.”
 
“He did, did he?”
 
“Don't get mad. He also told me that male demons could control their seed. He was not sure if a hanyou could or not, but told me how to tell the difference and what to do. He thinks if I let my youkai help, I can probably do it. He also told me that your body would let me know if you were willing to accept fertile seed or not. He thinks because of your miko powers and our bond, we can work together like two demons.”
 
InuYasha, what if I told you I'm not afraid any more?” Kagome asked.
 
“Afraid of what? You've never been afraid of anything, wench.”
 
“I was afraid of getting pregnant. They think I am too young, InuYasha, but I'm not afraid any more. We are getting married and I love you. Even if I get pregnant now, my baby would not be due until next fall. I'll be finished with school this spring,” Kagome said softly.
 
“Does that mean…”
 
“I think I will be ready to have your pup.”
 
InuYasha just pulled Kagome to him and kissed her. He held her close until he felt her shiver from the cold, and then picked her up and carried her into the house.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
The next day was a blur of activity as final preparations were made for the wedding the following day. The wedding itself would be held in the special room at the Four Seasons used for that purpose. Only the immediate family would attend the actual ceremony. Jii-chan had arranged for a priest who was an old friend of his to perform the ceremony.
 
The shrine also had more visitors than usual on Saturday. A number of the relatives had come in on Friday so they could tour Tokyo at least a little before the wedding reception. Most of them had never been to the shrine and came by to see it while they were in town. It kept Jii-chan quite busy showing them around during the day. Mama was relieved not to have him underfoot. Fortunately, most of the visitors were also understanding that Mama and Kagome were a bit busy and did not have time to more than briefly say hello to them.
 
Sesshomaru had reserved three suites for their use at the hotel: one for Kagome to use to get dressed along with her mother that would also become their suite for their brief honeymoon, another for Sesshomaru and Kichou which would also be used by InuYasha to dress for the wedding, and the third for her grandfather and brother to use as they needed during the day. Sesshomaru sent one of his drivers over Saturday afternoon to collect InuYasha's clothes for the wedding and reception so they would be waiting for him on Sunday.
 
When the driver came by to get InuYasha's formal clothes, InuYasha asked him if he could spare some time to do him a favor. The driver was in no hurry - he had only to deliver the clothes to the hotel and had not yet been given an assignment for the evening. He called Sesshomaru and cleared it and asked what InuYasha wanted. InuYasha told him where he wanted to go and the driver nodded his head.
 
InuYasha went in and collected Kagome. All he would tell her was that he had something he wanted to show her. At first she refused to leave, but her mother finally told her there was not anything left for her to do, and she should get away for a little while. InuYasha was to the point he was going to carry her away if she did not go willingly - she was starting to stress again over everything, and he wanted to get her mind off of it for a little while. Even if she sat him, he was taking her with him.
 
Kagome finally sighed in resignation and went along with InuYasha. They climbed into the town car and headed out.
 
“Aren't you going to tell me where we are going?” Kagome asked.
 
“It wouldn't be a surprise if I did,” InuYasha answered.
 
Instead, he pulled her into his lap and held her, trying to sooth her nerves with his youkai as he rubbed her back. Something worked, because she finally started to calm down and relax.
 
Finally he kissed her and said, “You were getting so stressed I was getting worried. You needed to get away for a little while.”
 
Kagome just relaxed and nodded, then kissed him back.
 
It didn't seem long before they were back at the very tall building Sesshomaru had brought InuYasha to. InuYasha led Kagome through the lobby to the elevator that went to the penthouse. Kagome did not miss the employees bowing to them as they went through. Sesshomaru had given InuYasha the codes, and he punched the keypad in the elevator before selecting the top floor. When it opened the doors to let them off, he took Kagome by the hand and led her to the door in the short hall and punched in that code as well. The door opened and InuYasha led Kagome into the penthouse apartment.
 
Kagome's mouth dropped. “InuYasha, where are we?”
 
“This is ours, if you want to live here. This is the apartment Sesshomaru told us about that first day he came to the shrine,” InuYasha answered.
 
“You're kidding!” Kagome exclaimed.
 
“No, I'm not,” InuYasha replied softly.
 
InuYasha showed her everything in the apartment, especially the large master bedroom and bath. He then led her out to the terrace with the waterfall and the small heated pool. Last, he led her up to the roof to the track. Deciding it would be easier to show her, he bared his feet once again and picked Kagome up and shifted her to his back, and took off at a run over the obstacle course.
 
Kagome squealed and clutched InuYasha's shoulders in delight as he ran. The winds were whipping through their hair as he ran and leaped over the obstacles.
 
InuYasha made two laps around the track before coming to a halt back near the stairs. Kagome still on his back, he jumped down to the terrace and went inside.
 
InuYasha closed the door and made sure it clicked shut, and set Kagome down.
 
“You would like to live here, wouldn't you?” Kagome asked.
 
“If we stay in this era, I would be okay here. I can see everything, and I can run on the roof without worry of anyone seeing me. I know we cannot stay at the shrine forever, especially if we decide to start a family. I will understand if you don't want to move here right away, but I'd like for you to think about it,” InuYasha answered.
 
InuYasha pulled Kagome to him and kissed her. When he pulled away he said, “I would also like to be with my mate without worrying about how much noise we are making all the time.”
 
Kagome blushed, but knew he was right. “Let's get through tomorrow first, then we can talk about what we want to do, okay?”
 
“Keh.”
 
InuYasha took Kagome's hand as they went back downstairs and through the lobby to the waiting car. The employees along the way bowed to them as they went through. That was something InuYasha was going to have to get used to. 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
Sunday morning came fast enough. Sesshomaru sent the car to first pick up Kagome and Mama to take to the hotel. They would take the longest to get dressed for the wedding. Kichou was waiting to usher them to their suite. The driver followed with Kagome's bags that had her necessities for the rest of her stay. The two ladies that had come to help with makeup and hair had decided to be safe and bring an additional person with them to make sure that Kagome, Mama, and Kichou were all properly prepared. Kichou had opted to share the suite with Kagome and Mama for the day to make it easier on the ladies who were there to help them prepare.
 
Kagome had made certain to remove InuYasha's rosary once again before she left. As before, she told him she did not want to accidentally plow him into the floor in front of a lot of people who would not understand.
 
The car came back for InuYasha, Grandfather and Souta after the ladies had been settled into their suite and had started their preparations. InuYasha also had a bag with items he might need for the next couple of days as they stayed over at the hotel. Grandpa and Souta were wearing comfortable clothes and carrying their formal attire for the wedding and reception. Once the driver had taken everything and carried it out to the car, they were ready and on their way.
 
Sesshomaru was waiting for InuYasha when he arrived at the hotel. InuYasha heard whispers among many in the lobby and double-checked to make sure he was wearing his charm. He was, and realized they were discussing his hair and eyes (not his ears), and the fact that he had come in with Grandpa and Souta. These must be some of Kagome's relatives in the lobby; all curious about whom she was marrying so young. They also did not miss his equally exotic brother, in fact the words he was hearing to describe Sesshomaru were things like `beautiful,' and `angelic' - if they only knew.
 
InuYasha didn't stop but followed his brother up to their suite. The driver showed up a few minutes later with his bag after he had escorted Grandpa and Souta to their suite. InuYasha just took a deep breath as the door closed, and he was left alone with Sesshomaru.
 
“Nervous, Little Brother?” Sesshomaru inquired.
 
“You know I am. I was okay until I found out how many people are coming to this thing. They know I don't like crowds - I hope I don't fuck something up,” InuYasha answered as he paced around the room.
 
“You will be fine. The ceremony itself is very short so it should not be a problem.”
 
“I'm not worried so much about that - it's just us. It's that damn reception that I'm afraid I'll fuck up,” InuYasha responded.
 
“I would not worry too much. Humans tend to drink a lot of alcohol at these kinds of functions and do foolish things themselves. As long as you keep your head on straight, you will do fine.”
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
Not too far away, Kagome was uncomfortable as they painted her white from head to toe. They insisted that she must be painted white to declare her maiden status to the Kami. Kagome tried not to choke - she was not a maiden, she was mated to a half-demon for heavens' sake! One that she could not get enough of. Of course she couldn't tell that to the ladies who were so patiently working on her makeup and hair. They did promise she could rid herself of the annoying makeup when she came in to get ready for the reception.
 
The ladies were having a much easier time with Kichou and Mama. They could wear normal makeup, though they did want to put their hair in a traditional style. They were not sure what to do, though. Mama didn't seem to have enough hair, and Kichou had way too much. They finally decided to leave their hair alone, only tying Kichou's back into a long flowing pony tail, and then concentrating on the bride.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
They met outside the room that was used like a shrine for weddings in the hotel. Kagome smiled nervously at InuYasha as they were told to stand together as they would enter the room first. InuYasha was glad Sesshomaru had warned him about the white makeup - InuYasha didn't like it at all. He did not understand why they would want to hide his beautiful mate under that stuff. Other than that, he thought she was beautiful all in white, though she looked a bit top-heavy with the white hood and all of the ornaments in her hair. All in all, she did not look very comfortable at all.
 
InuYasha had opted to wear the haori and kimono that Sesshomaru had presented to him, rather than the rented one, with the solid black hakama that Kagome's grandfather had given him. InuYasha thought Kagome would understand he wanted to wear the haori that was lined with the pictures of his father and was adorned with his family seal. He would wear it again for the final change at the reception when Kagome changed from the western gown to the bridal furisode, except that he would wear the pinstriped hakama Sesshomaru had given him to wear with it.
 
The rest of the family lined up behind the couple to enter the room. Even Souta had a traditional kimono for the affair. Sesshomaru had worn his familiar white hakama, kimono and haori from long ago to the ceremony.
 
 
The priest had been given a special request by Grandpa before the ceremony started. They had been friends for a very long time, and Grandpa trusted him implicitly. Grandpa had told the priest that something would be revealed to him during the ceremony that he could never repeat, and no matter what he thought at the time, he must go through with the ceremony because things were not always what they seemed: some things that priests and miko had been raised to believe might not be so accurate. Gramps had also told him to bring an assistant that he knew he could trust with something so very important, or not bring one at all. The priest decided it would be best to handle the ceremony alone, wondering what his old friend was trying to tell him.
 
He was about to find out.
 
InuYasha and Kagome stood behind the small table in front of the priest and alter while their families took their places to either side, facing each other.
 
When everyone was in their place, the priest proclaimed, “These two families are about to be united though this wedding. I have been asked to request that you remove any concealment you may have. There should be no secrets during the ceremony, and none will leave this room.”
 
Sesshomaru glanced around the room and noticed that the cameras that were there to record weddings when requested had all been covered. He looked at Kichou and nodded, and they both removed their jewelry that contained their concealment charm.
 
InuYasha looked even more nervous. At least his brother and Kichou just revealed their elfin ears and demon markings. Well, they had fangs and claws too, but they weren't as obvious. What would this priest think of his ears? He looked at Kagome and she nodded and smiled - she wanted to see the man she loved as he truly was for her wedding. InuYasha tugged the chain from under his kimono, and unclasped it to remove it and reveal his ears, fangs, and claws.
 
The priest suddenly understood. These creatures that he had heard tales about for his entire life, creatures he thought existed only in myth, were real. He was fairly certain the bridegroom was hanyou, and the two on his side of the room were youkai. Now he understood why his old friend had sworn him to secrecy, and made him promise to carry out the ceremony no matter what. Normally youkai and a hanyou would be considered impure and not even allowed in a shrine. However, his old friend must know otherwise - his only granddaughter was marrying someone they knew was not quite human, and he had accepted it.
 
Once the initial shock wore off, the priest continued the ceremony. InuYasha and Kagome drank sake along with the family members of both sides to signify the union of their two families and then had exchanged rings. Soon the brief ceremony was over, and InuYasha and Kagome were officially married.
 
Before they went out of the room, Sesshomaru, Kichou and InuYasha put their charms back on. The priest finally summoned the courage to ask, “May I ask what kind of youkai you are?”
 
Sesshomaru responded, “My mate and I are Inu-youkai. My half brother is an Inu-hanyou. You understand you can never reveal this.”
 
The priest nodded. “I am a man of my word. I promised my old friend that I would not ever reveal what I witnessed in this room today. I thought creatures such as you were only a myth. I will take it to my grave that you are indeed real.”
 
Sesshomaru nodded. He felt the man's sincerity, and that was good enough for him. In the last few centuries he had learned that there were honorable humans, too.
 
The priest asked, “What do you look like in your true form?”
 
InuYasha stepped forward. “I think I can help with that.” He opened up his haori and revealed the lining to the priest. “This was our father, and Sesshomaru looks like him. Since I am hanyou, my appearance is what you saw.”
 
The priest nodded as he looked at the detail of the haori lining while InuYasha asked, “What do we do now?”
 
Mama Higurashi spoke up, “We need wedding photos. The photographer is waiting to take some so Kagome can go and get ready for the reception. I think she's anxious to get the white makeup off. I know its cool outside, but the sun is out and the Chinzan-so Gardens are beautiful even at this time of the year. I would like to get some outside if you wouldn't mind the cold for a few minutes.”
 
Kagome nodded. She felt trussed up like a pig about to be roasted and would not mind the cold air. It was sunny and the temperature was around 50 F, so it wouldn't be too bad.
 
Fortunately, they did not have to go too far to find the door that led outside to the gardens. The photographer had already found a couple of good locations for a backdrop, and lined everyone up and started shooting. Once he had everything he thought they could possibly want, he declared he was finished until time for the reception and dismissed them to go and prepare.
 
Kagome was starting to swell in her hands and feet from the bindings. InuYasha could feel her distress and went and picked her up. Kagome just smiled gratefully and let her hanyou carry her back to the suite. She could not wait to get the white makeup off and release some of the bindings. She refused to be miserable the entire night, especially in front of all of her friends and teachers, and even all of the relatives she did not really know.
 
The ladies were as good as their word and helped Kagome out of her wedding garments long enough to get all of the white makeup off of her. They also removed her white hood and decorated her hair with a lot of Kanzashi ornaments as they redid her makeup to something more modern. Kagome redressed in her white Shiromuku but this time used the red and white obi that Sesshomaru and Kichou had given her. Last, the ladies held out her mother's Uchikake to wear over the entire affair. Mama and Kichou smiled their approval. It was time to go down and greet the guests.
 
Kichou had silently let Sesshomaru know they were ready through her mark as Mama used a more traditional method, picking up the phone and calling Jii-chan in the next suite. They all met in the hallway to go down to the ballroom where the reception was being held.
 
The photographer was waiting for them outside the ballroom where they would greet their guests before entering. He took more pictures, making sure to get good ones of Kagome in her bright Uchikake.
 
The hotel had provided two ladies at the table to collect the Shugi-bukuro envelopes of Oshugi (cash gifts) for the couple. They were making certain that everyone signed the guest book and were checking names off of a master list and giving tickets to everyone going to the reception. InuYasha felt Kagome take his hand. She could feel that he was getting nervous at the large number of people in the corridor. She wanted to reach out and sooth him with her aura, but she was afraid glowing pink in a large crowd might not be a good idea. Instead, Kagome pressed her thumb into his palm and started to rub gentle circles to calm her hanyou.
 
In the meantime, it seemed like everyone had a camera. InuYasha had to close his eyes as friends and relatives took pictures of the entire family. At least some relief came when it was announced that everyone needed to go and take their seats so that the bride and groom could enter the hall. Sesshomaru, Kichou, Mama, and Grandpa went to take their seats at the head table, leaving the two chairs in the middle empty for InuYasha and Kagome. Souta was at a table in the first tier where his little girlfriend had been seated along with Kagome's favorite aunt and uncle and cousins that were around the same age.
 
Kagome took a deep breath and looked at InuYasha. “Are you ready?”
 
InuYasha nodded. “Keh.”
 
The doors were opened for them to enter and everyone in the room stood and applauded. They stopped momentarily to get their bearings - they had both been blinded by the spotlight that hit them when the other lights were dimmed, and could not really see where they were supposed to go. Once their eyes adjusted, they started to walk towards the head table to the music that was playing over the sound system. After they had reached the front, the drapes along one wall were pulled to reveal the beautiful gardens outside.
 
Once InuYasha and Kagome had reached their places, champagne was poured for all to toast the new couple. When everyone was seated, they started serving food and drinks as some of Kagome's friends and teachers came up to say a few words about her. The only speech that really brought tears to her eyes was the one that Ayume gave as she said she never knew two people who had gone through so much to be together, and deserved happiness. Many were wondering what she was talking about, but Kagome knew and so did Sesshomaru and InuYasha.
 
The wedding people at the hotel were letting Kagome and InuYasha know everything they needed to do when it was time. According to them, it was now time to cut the cake. InuYasha wondered what that was about - he could tell it was a fake cake even if it was pretty. It turned out he and Kagome just had to cut it together for another photo op. The wait staff had little boxes of real cake ready to pass out to all of the guests as a memento.
 
After the cake cutting, InuYasha and Kagome were led away to change clothes. Everyone else took the time to eat and drink anything they had not yet consumed.
 
Once again when they entered they had to proceed with the spotlight that followed them back to their places at the table, though first they had waited inside the door long enough for everyone who was taking pictures to do so. Kagome was now wearing her western wedding gown, and had decided to wear the ruby and diamond jewelry that InuYasha had given her along with the bracelet from Kichou and Sesshomaru. Her hair had been let down and she was wearing a short bridal veil that matched the dress. InuYasha was wearing his crest ring in addition to the tux with the white tie and vest. When they were seated, round two started as more food and drink was brought out. More speeches were made and now you could tell that many of the speakers had been drinking as they spontaneously called for karaoke to sing along with them.
 
At some point InuYasha was told he was expected to make a speech. Kagome whispered that normally the groom would thank his parents for how he turned out and that sort of thing, which was not much help to InuYasha. He did not want to do it, but knew it was expected. Not knowing what else to say, InuYasha told the crowd his father had died when he was born and his mother while he was still little. InuYasha thanked the Higurashi family for welcoming him into their home, and his brother for helping him when he needed it most. But most of all, he wanted to thank Kagome for accepting him and loving him and making him the man he was today. It was short, but there weren't many dry eyes when he finished.
 
Kagome's speech had been written out and was read by the Mistress of Ceremonies. InuYasha did not think it was very fair that she did not have to get up in front of all of those people, but it was tradition. Her speech thanked her mother and grandfather and little brother. She thanked her teachers and her friends for how they had contributed to her life. Kagome had also made a point to thank Sesshomaru for helping them both when they needed it the most.
 
Once Kagome's salute was read, she and InuYasha were escorted out to change one more time. InuYasha was actually happy to change back into his hakama, haori, and kimono. This time he wore the black and white pinstriped hakama with the haori and kimono from Sesshomaru.
 
Kagome was beautiful in her bridal furisode. She was enjoying the bright colors since it would be the last time she would be allowed to wear them by tradition. After today, she would be expected to wear the more subdued colors of a married woman. The ladies had also changed her hair again. She was back in a traditional style with lots of ornaments in it.
 
This time before they went back in they were given a torch. More photos are taken and then Kagome and InuYasha proceeded to each table to light the candle in the centerpiece of every one, a tradition to share their happiness with the guests. Kagome and InuYasha started at the back of the room and worked their way forward, finally ending with the head table. When they lit the candle at the center, it started a chain reaction that flowed out from the center to light the other candles on the head table, including the centerpiece in the shape of a heart.
 
Once the candle lighting ceremony was complete, Kagome and InuYasha were led to a table with a very tall stack of champagne glasses. Together, they poured the bottle of champagne into the top glass until it overflowed into the second tier and on down. When the bubbling wine hit the glasses of the second tier, it started a fog that surrounded the table for a beautiful effect. Once Kagome and InuYasha had returned to their seats, another toast was made to the couple.
 
When it was finally time for the reception to be over, Hikidemono gifts were passed out to all of the guests as souvenirs. There was also one more set of photos taken with both sets of families together and separately. When it looked like everything was finished, Eri, Yuki and Ayume came over to give Kagome a hug. Not wanting to spoil the moment by saying anything, they turned and left as they wiped away their tears.
 
Once the room had finally cleared, Kagome turned to Sesshomaru and Kichou. “Thank you so much for everything. I never imagined a wedding and reception like this. It was better than anything I ever dreamed of and I'll never forget it.”
 
Mama added, “I will never forget what you have done for my little girl, not any of it. Thank you to both of you, and especially you, Sesshomaru.”
 
Sesshomaru nodded - he understood.
 
InuYasha looked at Kagome. “Are you ready to go and start our honeymoon?” Kagome had explained the term to him.
 
Kagome responded, “I'm ready to get out of these clothes.”
 
InuYasha grinned. “That's what I had in mind.”
 
Sesshomaru was wishing he'd had a nap - from the look on Kichou's face and the spike in her scent they would be up all night and he wasn't as young as he used to be.
 
Mama Higurashi just smiled and blushed.
 
 
To be continued…