InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Blood & Tears ❯ Betrayal ( Chapter 23 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha but I do own Kaminari, Kaiho, and the lovely Kichou.
 
AN: Thank you to those of you who have taken the time to leave a review. They help to inspire me to keep writing.
 
 
Blood & Tears
 
Chapter 23: Betrayal
 
InuYasha told Kagome about Sesshomaru's instructions while they ate. Thanks to Mama, InuYasha had the black suit he had worn to the Yui-no at the hotel with him. However, Kagome had so many outfits she had to worry with for the wedding and reception that she had not brought something she could wear to a restaurant of the caliber that Sesshomaru was probably planning to take them to, so that meant they needed to go shopping.
 
Kagome had spotted a dress she liked when they had browsed through the shops before. It would be beautiful with her ruby and diamond jewelry, which Kagome already knew she wanted to wear. Holding InuYasha by the hand, she led him in the direction of the shops after they left the restaurant.
 
InuYasha followed Kagome into the boutique. He nodded in agreement when Kagome showed him the dress she wanted to try. She found the rack they were hanging on, and picked up the one that was her size to take back to the dressing room. After slipping the dress on, Kagome came out to show InuYasha.
 
Kagome loved wearing red. She felt like she was announcing to everyone that she belonged with InuYasha. Kagome was beautiful in the sleeveless red chiffon dress. It had a V neckline and was gathered at the shoulders and waist. The bodice at the waist was twisted in the front flowing out to a full skirt that hit just below the knee. InuYasha grinned and nodded his approval. Kagome smiled and went back to the dressing room to take off the dress. After hanging it back up, she came out and handed it to the sales girl. Kagome at least had a pair of shoes with her she thought would work with the dress and fortunately had worn her coat when they came to the hotel.
 
Even though InuYasha had his black suit, Kagome wanted to get him a different shirt and tie to wear with it. InuYasha agreed with a black shirt and a red tie that had fine diagonal stripes that were graduated in color from light gray to black. He had figured out on their first shopping expedition at the other hotel that Kagome like them to be somewhat color coordinated when they dressed up to go out. That was okay - it just helped make it clear to others they were together, though he hoped that the wedding bands they were now wearing would make that perfectly clear to humans. His two marks should make it abundantly clear to any youkai that Kagome was taken. Sesshomaru's mark just finalized it.
 
 
InuYasha and Kagome were ready and waiting in the lobby for Sesshomaru at 6:30 pm as requested. InuYasha was twisting first his wedding band and then his crest ring nervously while they waited when Sesshomaru's driver came in to meet them and ushered them out to the waiting limo.
 
Sesshomaru grinned. “So how did you two pass the day?”
 
Kagome blushed. “Well, it is our honeymoon, you know, but we had to go shopping, too. Of all the clothes I brought with me, I didn't have anything suitable for tonight. The wedding dress was a bit much, and pants with a sweater not quite enough.”
 
“I'm sure you found something perfect,” Kichou said.
 
“Yeah, she did,” InuYasha smirked.
 
“You didn't have to buy anything?” Kichou asked.
 
InuYasha replied, “Kagome's mother had sent my suit over with my formal clothes, so I just had to get a shirt and tie.”
 
“We didn't do anywhere near the amount of damage we did at the other hotel,” Kagome added, then asked, “So where are we going tonight?”
 
“Somewhere I think InuYasha will appreciate,” Sesshomaru responded. “InuYasha, are you still craving something raw?”
 
“How did you know about that? Yeah I am, though I don't understand why. I've never wanted raw meat before, not ever, that I can remember,” InuYasha answered.
 
“I am picking it up through my mark - it is pretty strong. I think it has to do with the fact you have been more youkai than human the last couple of days. Your mating with Kagome when she was fertile brought out your baser instincts. Plus, cooking destroys a lot of nutrients in the food that your body is now craving. We hope to help with that tonight,” Sesshomaru told him.
 
“Uh, guys, will I be able to get my food cooked?” Kagome asked, wondering if they were going to a restaurant that specialized in serving youkai.
 
Kichou laughed. “Of course you will, we just happen to be going to a restaurant that has a dish that will probably appease InuYasha's craving for raw meat. Not every place has it, and not all that do serve it properly. It is not even on the menu where we are going, but is prepared when a special request is made in advance.”
 
Kagome looked out to see that they were pulling up to what was probably the finest restaurant Sesshomaru and Kichou had brought them to yet. The driver did not even need to get out of the car as the doormen came and opened the doors for the two couples to exit the limo. Another opened the restaurant door for them to enter. The Maitre D' had Sesshomaru's table waiting and immediately escorted the group to a quiet table in an alcove off of the main dining room. He helped Kagome and Kichou with their coats and hung them on the coat rack near their table. After making certain that everything was to Sesshomaru's satisfaction, he introduced their waiter and returned to the front of the restaurant.
 
The waiter addressed the group, “I understand that you have a special request for this evening.”
 
Sesshomaru answered, “Yes. My brother, wife and I will have the Steak Tartare.”
 
Sesshomaru stopped and turned to Kagome. “Would you like steak, or something else?”
 
Kagome knew they were in the restaurant with the finest steaks in Tokyo, if not all of Japan. “Steak, medium, but you choose the cut.”
 
Sesshomaru nodded and turned to the waiter. “Your finest cut of Kobe beef for my sister-in-law, cooked medium. You can bring out the usual side dishes to accompany the meal as well as the house soup and salad.”
 
The waiter nodded and disappeared.
 
InuYasha looked at his brother. “Steak Tartare? What is it?”
 
“You will see, Little Brother. It should help appease your craving for raw meat. While you cannot normally just walk into a restaurant and order a steak raw, that is exactly what Steak Tartare is. It just has some spices as well as onion and raw egg added to it. They will bring it out and prepare it to order. Let Kichou and I go first so you can get an idea of what you might like in it when they ask,” Sesshomaru replied, then said, “By the way, Kagome, you look beautiful tonight.”
 
Kichou nodded. “Yes, you look stunning in red.”
 
Kagome blushed. “Thank you. It's just that I love the jewelry that you and InuYasha gave me for Christmas, and I wanted something else I could wear it with.”
 
“Well, you do look beautiful,” Kichou said.
 
“Keh,” InuYasha agreed.
 
They were fairly quiet as they ate their soup and salad, waiting for their entrées to be brought out. InuYasha was curious about the raw steak they were bringing him, and was surprised when several assistants came out following their waiter. Each one had a fairly large platter with a raw fillet of beef that had been finely chopped in the center. There was a whole raw egg yolk on each and the meat was surrounded by butter lettuce greens, along with cups of finely chopped onion, pickles, and capers. One assistant had a tray with additional condiments of cayenne pepper, regular pepper, Worcestershire sauce, virgin olive oil, and mustard.
 
The waiter presented the first platter to Sesshomaru for approval. Sesshomaru nodded and the waiter placed the platter onto a service table and lifted the meat onto a large dinner plate. After folding the egg into the meat using two large forks, he started asking Sesshomaru one by one about each of the ingredients before it was added - if he wanted it, and how much. Once everything had been added to Sesshomaru's tastes, the waiter reformed the meat into the shape of a steak and placed it back on its bed of lettuce. The completed platter was then placed in front of Sesshomaru.
 
The waiter repeated the entire process with Kichou's steak. InuYasha noticed that neither of them asked for the cayenne, so he leaned over and asked Kagome what it was.
 
“You know how much you hate curry?” Kagome whispered.
 
InuYasha nodded.
 
“Cayenne is much hotter.”
 
“Oh.” InuYasha wouldn't be getting any cayenne pepper, either.
 
InuYasha had his steak prepared about the same as his brother, which had a little of everything except the two types of pepper. He had noticed that Kichou liked hers with lots of capers and pickles. InuYasha was about to ask where Kagome's food was when it was brought out to her. They had allowed time to prepare the three servings of Steak Tartare before bringing her fillet out.
 
Kagome had been fascinated with the entire presentation of the other three's meals. While she had heard of the delicacy, she had never really known what it was other than raw meat. She had always envisioned a hunk of raw steak on a plate and had no idea how much effort went into its preparation. While she was afraid watching the others, including her mate, eat raw meat would turn her stomach, Kagome found it didn't bother her at all. She ravenously tore into her own steak after it was placed in front of her.
 
 
They had finished their main course, and InuYasha was surprised to find that his craving for something raw had indeed been quelled. He hoped that was the end of it. Now that he was back to his usual hanyou self he thought, or at least hoped, everything should be returning to normal.
 
They were taking their time since they planned to enjoy dessert while they were there, so Kagome excused herself to go to the ladies' room. She was on her way back to the table and was about to come out of the hallway that led past the bar to the restrooms when she heard something that stopped her in her tracks.
 
“Yeah, he's here with that worthless half-breed half-brother of his and his bitch.”
 
“His bitch or that human whore?”
 
“Both. They're all here together. We can get rid of him and his brother. The human doesn't matter so we can kill her or leave her. We aren't supposed to harm the head bitch. She should turn to her father to help run things as the oldest male, and after he's dispatched Honoo can come in and take control of the entire fortune. Sesshomaru's become a disgrace. He's fraternizing with that half-breed and human. On top of that, he even got a fake arm. Can you believe it? He's really gone to the dogs.” The guy who was speaking laughed at his own joke.
 
“The old fool is so arrogant that he doesn't even have any security. They should be easy to pick off when they get to the club. It's always noisy around there and they will have to get out and walk across the street to go in.”
 
Kagome was trying not to panic. She didn't want to come out and have them see her and know she had overheard them. She could tell they were youkai, though weak ones at best. Still, the thought that someone was plotting to kill Sesshomaru and InuYasha sent a wave of panic through her. She did not hear any more as she quietly inched her way back to the ladies' room.
 
 
At the table, InuYasha suddenly sat up very straight and was starting to glow a slight red. Something had frightened Kagome.
 
Sesshomaru felt it too. He started to get up, but InuYasha reached over and placed a hand on his shoulder and shook his head. “She's afraid of blowing her cover. She's frightened, but not in immediate danger if they don't find her. If we go running back there, they will know she's there. We need to do something to make them move from where they are.”
 
Sesshomaru raised an eyebrow. InuYasha was right, and he was thinking in advance. “InuYasha, do you think you could play a drunk?”
 
“You mean stager around and run my words together like they were doing at the reception?”
 
Sesshomaru smiled grimly. “Yes. Can you do it?”
 
“If it'll help get Kagome out of there, I will do it. Are we going to make enough noise going back there to get whoever she's afraid of to move?” InuYasha replied.
 
“Yes, and be alert to try and pick out who they are.”
 
“Keh.”
 
“Kichou, you remain here. I'm taking InuYasha to the men's room.”
 
InuYasha and Sesshomaru both stood and Sesshomaru draped one of InuYasha's arms over his shoulder and reached his arm around his back and grabbed his waist as if he were supporting him.
 
As they got closer to the bar and the hall that led down to the restrooms, InuYasha started to stagger and complain, “I can't believe you gave me all that sake. You know I'm not used to drinking that stuff. Kagome's gonna kill me, getting drunk on our honeymoon. She still wants to go dancin'. I've gotta sober up.”
 
“You did not tell this Sesshomaru you could not hold your liquor. You did not have to drink it all, you know.”
 
They continued to carry on in a similar fashion as Sesshomaru `helped' InuYasha to the men's room. When they reached the door, Sesshomaru said rather loudly, “You do not need me to come in there with you, do you?”
 
“Nah. Justwaitformeinthebar,” InuYasha slurred.
 
“I will get you some hot coffee,” Sesshomaru answered as he walked back down the hall.
 
Sesshomaru came around the corner and noticed that the two that had been sitting at the end of the bar were gone. He looked around to make sure they weren't anywhere nearby before he went back and stuck his head in the men's room door. “It looks like the coast is clear.”
 
InuYasha came out and went over to the ladies' room door and opened it enough to call, “Kagome?”
 
Kagome threw the door open and flung her arms around InuYasha's neck. There were tears streaming down her face.
 
Sesshomaru pulled a handkerchief out and dabbed Kagome's face before handing it to her. “Let's go back to our table, and you can tell us what has upset you so.”
 
Kagome nodded but just leaned against InuYasha with her arms wrapped around him and did not move. InuYasha scooped her up and carried her back. When anyone stopped to ask if she was okay, they told them Kagome had turned her ankle but was alright.
 
When Kagome was back in her seat, she looked around to make sure no one was within earshot. It appeared anyone near them was human so they probably would have a difficult time hearing her. She very quietly began to retell everything she had overheard.
 
When Kagome mentioned the one name she had heard mentioned, Kichou gasped and turned white. “Are you sure that is the name you heard?”
 
Kagome nodded. “Who is he?”
 
“Her uncle,” Sesshomaru replied with a growl. “It sound's like he is planning to kill me and InuYasha, and then Kaminari to attempt to take over my companies and fortune. We need a plan to take care of these guys, and then Honoo. I'm sorry, Kichou.”
 
A tear fell down Kichou's cheek. “I cannot condone trying to kill my mate and his brother and my own father - his own brother. Do what must be done.”
 
“What they said about you having no security, that's not true,” InuYasha said quietly.
 
“What do you mean?” Sesshomaru asked.
 
“You always have at least four guys with you wherever you go. If Kichou is with you, there is at least one female in addition to the group; if Kagome is with us, there are at least two,” InuYasha responded.
 
Sesshomaru eyebrows vanished under his bangs. “How did you know that?”
 
“Dunno. I've just noticed them everywhere we go. Even when you took me to the apartment to show it to me, they were already there in addition to the usual security people,” InuYasha replied.
 
“Those who are with us I trust implicitly. Honoo's men could have found out our schedule for this evening in any number of ways. I called both the restaurant and the club to make reservations. The question is what should we do?” Sesshomaru asked.
 
“You have an advantage. They don't know Kagome overheard them, and they apparently don't know you always have security around you. We can either go to the club and try to lure them out, or we can say I'm too drunk and Kagome hurt her ankle and change our plans and go back to the hotel,” InuYasha answered.
 
Kichou put her hand on Sesshomaru's arm. “Will you please call Daddy and warn him what's going on? They might rush things, and I could not bear it if he were hurt, much less killed.”
 
Sesshomaru nodded and picked up his cell phone. He spoke in a series of growls that InuYasha understood and fascinated Kagome when she realized they were conversing in Inu.
 
Sesshomaru flipped his cell-phone closed. “Honoo has disappeared. Kaminari suspected he was up to something. He suggests that we follow through with our plans and try to lure Honoo's men out. Kaminari also advised we take our time here and arrive late at the club.”
 
Kagome gasped, “But that will give them more time to prepare.”
 
InuYasha responded, “It's cold tonight. It will be easier for Sesshomaru's men to pick the others out if they have to hold their positions and wait for us to arrive. It should also slow them down because they will get cold and stiff if they have to hang around outside. The ones that were here felt like reptile youkai of some kind. They will not like the cold.”
 
Sesshomaru nodded, and was amazed by InuYasha's analysis at the same time. Every bit of it was true.
 
Kichou wiped away her tears. “Well, in that case I want dessert and coffee. Anyone else?”
 
Kagome asked, “Isn't their signature dessert something chocolate?”
 
“Their famous Chocolate Sack. It's a sack made from chocolate filled with layers of cream cake, chocolate mousse, passion fruit, kiwis, raspberries and whipped cream. It's usually served on a plate drizzled in raspberry sauce,” Kichou answered and then continued, “Their Crème Brule is also outstanding. I think I'll have it tonight if they have any left.”
 
Their waiter returned and took their orders for dessert after refilling their glasses. He told Kichou they would be happy to make a Crème Brule for her if she didn't mind waiting. Kichou just nodded and told him that was fine. That was that much longer their attempted assassins would have to sit out in the cold.
 
An hour and a half later than they had originally intended the two couples left their table to head for the club. Sesshomaru's driver as well as his usual security contingency was already fully aware of what was going on.
 
“InuYasha, I must warn you. Things are not how they used to be. They are likely to come after us with firearms,” Sesshomaru told him once they were safely in the car and on their way.
 
“What do you mean?” InuYasha asked. He could also smell a spike of fear in Kagome's scent. Whatever it was it was serious.
 
Kagome answered quietly, “They don't have to be anywhere near you to kill you. They can shoot you from the top of a building or across the street. Oh Kami, I don't know about this anymore.”
 
InuYasha pulled her to him. “We'll be careful, but we have to catch these guys. We may never have another chance like this again.” InuYasha looked at Sesshomaru and asked, “Do you have Tenseiga nearby just in case?”
 
Sesshomaru nodded. “It is always with me.” He pushed a button that opened a compartment behind him.
 
“I hope we do not need it,” Sesshomaru said as he pulled out his fabled sword and then laid it back on top of the compartment he had pulled it from after it had closed.
 
 
They arrived at the nightclub, and there was indeed a throng of people outside, standing in line and hoping to be some of the lucky few that were allowed in. Before they got out Sesshomaru warned them not to be too obvious looking around. Just act like they were looking at the crowds and head for the door. His people should be able to take care of the rest.
 
InuYasha was scouring the crowds, street and building as they crossed the street to go in. He saw at least three different people who were there, and then suddenly weren't. They group safely entered the building and were led to their table by the hostess. Sesshomaru's phone rang and he answered, once again speaking in a series of growls, and Kagome would have sworn he barked at one point.
 
When Sesshomaru hung up and flipped his phone closed he said, “They caught at least five of them outside. They were able to determine two of them from our descriptions from at the bar, and then the other three when we arrived. Honoo still has not been seen. They have taken the five they captured back to the estate. Kaminari will deal with them there and see if he can find out anything further.”
 
Kagome did not ask what would be done with them after they were interrogated. She knew they couldn't just be handed over to the police to deal with. It was probably just as well if she did not know. They were youkai that had come to kill her husband and mate along with his brother, not to mention herself if she got in the way.
 
InuYasha wrapped his arm around Kagome. “You would like to go back, wouldn't you? To the hotel, I mean.”
 
Kagome just nodded. It had been too much, and she did not like being out in the open like this. Something still wasn't right. Back in feudal Japan they could just kill the offending youkai. Things were so much more difficult now in dealing with a problem like this. Most humans did not know youkai and their world even existed. Not to mention that here they had so many more places to hide.
 
Sesshomaru looked at the couple and agreed. Kagome was wrung out and pregnant on top of that. Maybe she was just barely pupped, but the stress was not good for her. He looked at Kichou and she nodded in agreement. He picked up the phone and called his driver to tell him they were coming out.
 
They left the club after Sesshomaru gave his apologies for their brief visit. He explained the newlyweds were tired, but had wanted to at least visit the club. They would return again when they had not had such a busy day beforehand.
 
 
They were silent most of the way back to the hotel. Sesshomaru finally spoke, “InuYasha, I think I will take you up on your offer to stay in the other bedroom in the suite. It worries me that there has been no sign of Honoo. Until he is found I do not want to leave either of you alone.”
 
Kichou and Kagome both nodded, neither of them expected to get a lot of sleep tonight - though for entirely different reasons than they had originally envisioned.
 
 
When the elevator doors opened at their floor and the four got off, they all stiffened. As the doors closed behind them, three youkai stepped out of the area where the vending and ice machines were and blocked their path. The one in the middle was pointing a gun at them.
 
“Honoo, this Sesshomaru knows you were behind everything that has happened tonight,” Sesshomaru said darkly.
 
“I should have known if you want something done right, you've got to do it yourself. Tell me, how did you find out this time? Everything was so well planned,” Honoo responded.
 
“What do you mean by `this time'?” Sesshomaru asked.
 
“I've been behind all of those attempts on your life going back to Tougai five hundred years ago. Back then I just wanted to get rid of you so my foolish brother would bring me in to help run the Western Lands after your demise. It was easy to convince Tougai of your unworthiness once you showed up with that filth you have with you now. I already had the jewel shard and it didn't take much to convince him to use it. Tell me, how is a human still alive after all of this time?” Honoo asked.
 
“Kagome's soul was bound to InuYasha's when he took her as his mate. She has his lifespan. Honoo, you are a disgrace to your family. You are greedy and self-serving. Neither Kaminari nor this Sesshomaru has ever trusted you. You would have never been allowed to run any facet of the Western Lands,” Sesshomaru replied.
 
“Tsk, tsk. That's too bad. Kichou my dear, it's too bad you had to come along. I had intended only to have these two killed, and the whore if she got in the way, but I can't leave any witnesses. My men were supposed to take care of you in the chaos that always surrounds that club. And you still haven't answered me, how did you find out?”
 
Kagome finally spoke in defiance, “You chose your men carelessly. They were talking about their plans in the bar of the restaurant where we had dinner.”
 
“Well, that doesn't matter now. We'll take care of you here. I wanted to just shoot you, but that would make too much noise in the hotel,” Honoo said as the other two pulled out some rather wicked looking knives.
 
Sesshomaru and InuYasha pushed Kichou and Kagome behind them as they faced off with the three. Honoo waved his gun and the other two charged. Everything that happened next happened very quickly.
 
The one that went after Sesshomaru was surprised to find the Demon Lord's left arm was real. He had surmised that because it was a prosthetic, Sesshomaru wouldn't have much control over it and went for his left side, intending to plunge his knife through his ribcage and hit Sesshomaru's heart. He was shocked to find his wrist in Sesshomaru's very strong grip with his poisonous claws digging into his flesh.
 
The other didn't understand the meaning of InuYasha's cry as InuYasha came after him with his bare hands. All he heard was, “Sankon Tessou!!” before he fell to the floor.
 
Honoo had stepped back when his two men attacked the others. Deciding they had wasted enough time, he pointed the gun at Sesshomaru. Sesshomaru saw his movement and threw the youkai he was holding at him. At the same time, they heard Kagome scream, “NOOOO!” as she lunged for Honoo as well. The gun went off just before Kagome reached him and turned him to a pile of dust.
 
The youkai Sesshomaru had hurled at Honoo was trying to grab the gun that had fallen to the floor when Honoo vanished. The last thing he saw was a glowing pink very angry Kagome reaching for him before he too was purified.
 
They heard a thud as Sesshomaru fell to the floor. This time it was Kichou crying, “NOOOO!” as she fell to Sesshomaru's side. “He's been shot!”
 
Kagome dropped next to Sesshomaru. It wasn't good - it looked like the bullet had hit near his heart. While she knew that he had unprecedented healing powers, she did not know if his body could handle a bullet in such a sensitive location. The way he was bleeding, it appeared to have hit an artery or more likely a vein. At least the blood was not coming out in spurts like it would for a major artery.
 
Kagome placed both of her hands on Sesshomaru's chest and began to concentrate and they both started to glow pink. Kichou was stunned as she watched the blood first stop flowing, and then the bullet pop back out of his chest. InuYasha reappeared from wherever he had vanished to with Sesshomaru's men behind him. They all stopped and watched in awe as Kagome healed Sesshomaru. While Sesshomaru's men always followed him without question, they all suddenly understood why he was so adamant about protecting this one human. She had powers that most had not seen in hundreds of years, and none to the extent of what she exhibited.
 
When Kagome was certain that she had done enough to ensure that Sesshomaru would survive his wounds, she collapsed on the floor next to him.
 
“Kagome!” InuYasha ran to his mate's side. She was unconscious from all of the energy she had spent, first from purifying both Honoo and his man, and then healing Sesshomaru.
 
“We need to get them out of here and get this mess cleaned up,” InuYasha said as he picked up Kagome.
 
The head of the security detail nodded and his men went to pick up Sesshomaru. He was on the phone calling for cleanup as a tearful Kichou led the way to InuYasha and Kagome's suite. InuYasha handed Kagome to Kichou long enough to pull the card key out of his pocket and open the door. Two more men went in and swept the suite and declared it was clean, and they carried their charges into the master bedroom and placed them on the bed. InuYasha and Kichou decided they would rather be in the same bedroom so it would be easier for them to keep an eye on the unconscious pair.
 
 
Sesshomaru's men had cleared the room leaving only the four of them. InuYasha gently brushed Kagome's hair away from her face before he started to remove her jewelry. Once he had taken off everything but her wedding band (which he noticed she almost never removed), he started to very carefully remove her dress. Somehow it had come through everything unscathed, and he could tell she really liked it. Kichou came around to help him gently pull it over her head, leaving her in only her bra and panties.
 
InuYasha went to the bathroom and wet a washcloth with warm water and picked up the tube of stuff he knew she used to wash her face with. He came back and gently rubbed the lotion on her tear-streaked face and then wiped it clean. InuYasha went and rinsed the washcloth only to come back out and wipe her face with it one more time before he started to rub it over the rest of her body. Satisfied that Kagome was as clean as he could get her without a shower, InuYasha unclasped her bra at the front and pulled it free from her body. He then picked her up and asked Kichou to pull the covers back so he could lay Kagome back down and cover her up.
 
InuYasha stifled a sob as he tended to Kagome. Kichou had watched and helped without saying a word, but she finally asked, “What's wrong, InuYasha? I know she is unconscious, but she will recover. She just needs a lot of rest.”
 
InuYasha was silent, but then finally answered, “She had to purify those two because I was not fast enough. I can't tell if she is still pregnant or not. I don't know how it will affect her. It's all my fault.”
 
Kichou put her arm around InuYasha's shoulder. “InuYasha, Kagome is strong. We do not know anything for certain; her pup may be unharmed. She would do anything to help protect you, and it would have killed her if you were hurt. If it is anyone's fault, it is mine. It was my uncle who did this, and my father and my mate he was trying to kill. Kagome saved Sesshomaru and I will never be able to repay her.”
 
InuYasha just nodded as he leaned over and kissed Kagome on the forehead as he tucked her hair behind her ear. Her breathing was slow and even.
 
InuYasha looked towards his brother. “We need to take care of Sesshomaru as well. Let's get him undressed and cleaned up.”
 
Kichou nodded as they removed Sesshomaru's coat, pants, shirt and tie leaving him in only his boxers. Kichou then decided to remove the boxers as well since the blood had soaked through everything. Then as InuYasha had done, she found a fresh washcloth and wiped down Sesshomaru's body. InuYasha helped and both would rinse and return several times because of the blood.
 
While Kichou was working on her mate, InuYasha finally asked something that had been nagging him, “Kichou, why do you think no one came out to see what the ruckus was about? We aren't the only ones on this floor, are we?”
 
Kichou replied without looking up from what she was doing, “Actually, you are. Sesshomaru was not sure how you would react if there were any other males in the vicinity with Kagome in heat. He paid for all of the rooms on this floor for your entire stay. Not wanting to leave you unprotected, he did have a couple of his female security people stay up here with you. Now that this has happened, those who accompanied us tonight will occupy all the other rooms on this floor.”
 
InuYasha nodded his understanding. He thought it unusual that there had been so little activity on this floor during their stay. While he knew there were others there, he never ran into any of them in the halls.
 
After Kichou was satisfied with cleaning Sesshomaru up, InuYasha picked him up so she could throw the covers back. InuYasha carefully laid his brother down and Kichou tucked the covers up around him.
 
Satisfied that they could do all that they could for the moment, InuYasha spoke again, “Kichou, I need to take a shower and get this blood off of me.”
 
Kichou nodded, she knew that InuYasha had blood in his hair and embedded in his claws from where he had killed the youkai with his bare hands. Fortunately, she knew a good cleaner that would be able to get the blood out of his good suit, shirt and tie. “InuYasha, I know someone that will be able to get your suit cleaned for you if you will bag up everything you were wearing tonight.”
 
InuYasha nodded wearily as he went and picked up a clean pair of boxers and his pajamas he had hoped he would not have the opportunity to wear on his honeymoon.
 
 
InuYasha tried not to howl in the shower. He did not know how Kagome could have purified those two youkai without purifying her own child. He knew it would kill her if that had happened. It would be several more days before her scent would start to change if she were pregnant. He had only determined she was already because she had gone out of heat so quickly, and that was usually the reason why. Tears streamed down his face with the steaming water as he scrubbed the blood out of his hair and from his claws. He knew they could try again if she had lost the pup, but he knew how much Kagome loved life and how happy she had been at the thought she was pregnant with his child. While Kagome was a force to be reckoned with when she was angry, he could not bear it if this broke her normally pure and gentle spirit. InuYasha would have to offer his prayers to the Kami that Kagome was still pregnant. He had caused her enough heartache since they first met, and did not want her to suffer any more.
 
InuYasha shook his hair almost dry after he turned the shower off before he reached out and grabbed a towel. After he dressed in his pajamas, InuYasha went back out to the bedroom. He went and rummaged around in Kagome's drawers to see if there was anything that Kichou could change into. Fortunately, Kagome liked to wear sweats and a t-shirt a lot for lounging around in. InuYasha pulled them out and noticed the lingerie that Kagome was still keeping as a surprise for him. That brought a slight smile to his lips as he buried it back under some other underwear. He would have to wait for her to model those for him another time.
 
“Kichou, Kagome has a clean pair of sweats and a t-shirt if you would like something more comfortable to change into. We're probably going to be here for a while.”
 
Kichou looked up and saw the clothes InuYasha offered. She looked back at Sesshomaru and knew InuYasha was right - she might as well get more comfortable. “InuYasha, do you think Kagome would mind if I use her cleanser to remove my makeup?”
 
InuYasha shook his head. “Use anything you might need.”
 
Kichou looked just as weary as InuYasha as she took the sweats and t-shirt and went into the bathroom. After washing her face, she took a shower as well.
 
 
Kichou looked much better when she came back out of the bathroom. She put her dress with InuYasha's clothes to be taken to the cleaners since she had a fair amount of Sesshomaru's blood on it. Sesshomaru's suit was pretty much a loss with the hole made by the bullet through his coat and shirt. Kichou knew her mate would be pissed - that was one of his favorite suits.
 
Kichou and InuYasha stayed by their mate's sides through the night. InuYasha had carried a comfortable armchair from the living area into the bedroom for Kichou, and had moved the chair that was in the bedroom over next to the bed on Kagome's side for himself. While they occasionally dosed off, mostly they sat in silence as they watched over their charges.
 
After it was daylight, InuYasha called down for room service. He asked them to bring up some tea, rice and soup along with some yogurt. He knew Kagome loved the stuff so he would keep it in the refrigerator for her for when she woke up. When their food was delivered, he put the yogurt away and carried a bowl of rice and soup back to Kichou. InuYasha went back and poured her a cup of tea along with one for himself as he went and sat down next to Kagome again.
 
InuYasha was torn as to what to do now. He thought he probably should call her mother, but didn't want to create a panic with her family. InuYasha also did not want Kagome taken to the hospital. That could create a lot of difficult to answer questions. InuYasha decided to wait a little longer until Souta would have left for school. He asked Kichou if she could send someone to pick her up. Mama Higurashi would probably be upset and InuYasha did not want her to have to come alone. Kichou agreed and picked up her cell phone to call her driver and tell him what time to be at the Shrine.
 
InuYasha went into the other room and picked up the phone. He just stared at it at first as he tried to figure out what he was going to say. Finally, he took a deep breath and called the shrine.
 
“Higurashi.”
 
Good, Mama had answered the phone, but InuYasha was having difficulty spitting the words he had planned out.
 
“Hello? Hello?”
 
“It's InuYasha.”
 
InuYasha could hear her gasp on the other end before she said, “What's wrong?”
 
“Will you come to the hotel? A car is coming to get you. It will be there in a few minutes.”
 
“Is Kagome all right?”
 
“She's…she's asleep. Will you come?”
 
“I'll be there.” Click.
 
Mama knew something was up. She could tell InuYasha was upset and would not, or could not, talk. She took off her apron and grabbed her coat as the car pulled up at the Shrine. Mama hurriedly scribbled a note saying she had some errands to run before she went out the door.
 
 
InuYasha let Mama into the suite and walked her back to the bedroom. Mama did not miss the untouched and now cold bowls of soup and rice on the table. She was startled to say the least when she walked into the bedroom and saw both Sesshomaru and Kagome tucked under the covers in the same bed.
 
InuYasha saw the look on her face. “This way we could watch over both of them. It would have been too hard in separate rooms.”
 
Mama nodded her understanding then barely whispered, “What happened?”
 
InuYasha started to talk, but his words caught in his throat and nothing came out. Kichou was now holding Sesshomaru's hand in her lap and proceeded to tell Mama everything that had happened.
 
InuYasha had returned to Kagome's side and brushed her hair out of her face, more out of habit since she hadn't really moved. A tear leaked out of the corner of one eye as Kichou reached the part where Sesshomaru had been shot, Kagome had purified the two demons, and then saved her mate by forcing the bullet out of his body and then healing his wounds.
 
“Will they be all right? Do we need to take them to a hospital?” Mama asked.
 
“They both need time to recover. The hospital won't be able to do anything for either of them. Kagome used up a huge amount of energy and her body needs time to recover. Sesshomaru is healing as well, and his body needs to finish repairing what Kagome did not as well as replenish the blood that he lost. I suspect that he will be awake by nightfall,” Kichou answered.
 
“What about Kagome?” Mama questioned quietly.
 
InuYasha shook his head. “I don't know. She only needed to sleep for a little while when she healed Kaede. She was just tired when she healed herself, my jaw, and grew Sesshomaru's arm back, but this time she purified two demons and turned them to dust before she healed Sesshomaru. All we can do is wait.”
 
“There's something else, isn't there InuYasha?” Mama asked. She could tell something else was still upsetting the hanyou.
 
Kichou looked over at InuYasha and saw that he couldn't speak. He was trying not to choke on the sobs he was attempting to stifle, so she answered, “Kagome was pregnant.”
 
Mama looked surprised. “But when, and what do you mean, was?”
 
Kichou again answered as gently as she could, “Kagome was ready during the honeymoon, so she's only been pregnant for a couple of days. InuYasha fears that her pup may not have survived her purifying the two demons. He's afraid of how it will affect her if the pup did not make it, and Kagome learns she purified her own child.”
 
Mama suddenly understood why he was so upset, even more so than she could ever remember seeing him before. He was scared for Kagome.
 
Mama went and sat down on the broad armless chair next to InuYasha and put her arm around him. “InuYasha, we must hope for the best. The human body is an amazing thing. Don't give up hope, but if what you fear did happen, we will have to help Kagome to get through it. She is young and can try again, but I know she could never forgive herself if she could have done something to save you or your brother and did not do it. Neither of you could ever be replaced.”
 
InuYasha just nodded, he knew she was right. It just didn't help him feel much better at the time.
 
Mama went up and went back to the dining area and put the neglected bowl of soup in the microwave to heat it up. When it was warm, she brought it in and handed it to InuYasha. “I don't have to guess which one of you did not eat anything. InuYasha, Kagome would not want you to get sick because you didn't take care of yourself when you were looking after her.”
 
While InuYasha drank his soup, Mama went and reheated the bowl of rice and brought it in to him. She took the empty soup bowl from him and handed him the rice. InuYasha compliantly ate the bowl of rice without a word as the three of them watched over Sesshomaru and Kagome.
 
 
To be continued…