InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Blood & Tears ❯ Decisions ( Chapter 31 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha but I do own Kaminari, Kaiho, and the lovely Kichou.
 
AN: Thank you to those of you who have taken the time to leave a review. I do read them and they help to inspire me to keep writing.
 
 
Blood & Tears
 
Chapter 31: Decisions (Warning: small lemon)
 
InuYasha had the oversized backpack over his shoulder and Kagome in his arms as he jumped out of the well into feudal Japan. The backpack wasn't nearly as heavy as it used to be. It made a huge difference that Kagome only had to have food and water for the two of them, and didn't have it packed full of schoolbooks. InuYasha set his mate on her feet and then took her hand as they walked down the familiar path to the village.
 
They found Kaede in her hut, stirring a pot of stew. She looked up and smiled at them as she gestured for them to sit. “Welcome back. Are you going to see Shippou now?”
 
She knew of their plans from their last trip back. InuYasha and Kagome had made a couple of brief visits to check on Sango and Miroku and the baby before they headed back towards the slayer village.
 
“Your hut seems empty with Sango and Miroku gone. When did they finally leave?” Kagome asked as she nodded an affirmative to Kaede's original question.
 
“It is quiet now that they have left, though I do appreciate the chance to get a decent night's sleep again,” the old miko chuckled. “They left just a few days after your last visit. They decided if they waited too much longer the boy would be too heavy to carry that far. He was growing like a weed.”
 
“He should be at the amount Sango was feeding him,” InuYasha remarked. “I hope that monk makes sure she gets enough to eat.”
 
“What exactly did you say to Miroku so that he started taking better care of Sango?” Kaede asked.
 
InuYasha smirked. “I told him I was going to beat the fucking shit out of him if he didn't.”
 
“That would probably do it,” Kagome remarked.
 
“So when are you headed out?” Kaede asked the couple.
 
“We need to get started. It's a long walk, even if InuYasha carries me. I came by to pick up my bow and arrows, and of course to say hello to you,” Kagome answered.
 
“Be careful along the way. I have heard of some youkai on the prowl, but they have stayed away from here. Apparently having two demon lords claiming this village as under their protection carries a lot of weight,” Kaede said seriously.
 
Kagome looked at InuYasha. “Maybe we should stick to the roads this time instead of going through the wilderness. At least that way we might come to a village to stay in overnight.”
 
“Keh. I've already thought of that,” InuYasha said as he pulled out his concealment charm. He hadn't been away long enough to forget what just about everyone and every thing thought of a hanyou in this era.
 
“What's that?” Kaede asked.
 
InuYasha handed it to Kagome and pulled his mane off of his neck while she fastened it.
 
Kaede's eyes opened wide as InuYasha's ears, fangs and claws seemed to vanish. But, when she really studied him, she could still see them.
 
“I do not understand. At first your ears, fangs and claws seemed to disappear, but now I can see them again,” the old miko remarked.
 
“That's because you are a miko and because you know his true appearance. To a regular human, he will appear as you saw him when he first put it on,” Kagome replied.
 
“That should come in handy if you need to spend the night in a village,” Kaede said, and then added as InuYasha took the charm back off, “But why InuYasha? I know you are not ashamed of what you are any more.”
 
“I don't want to hear Kagome called any of the names my mother was,” InuYasha said softly. “But I also don't want her sleeping out in the open if I can help it. This hides my identity in her era, so I don't know why it wouldn't work here.”
 
Kaede nodded. That she could understand.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
InuYasha had insisted on carrying Kagome. Even though they were on foot, he didn't want this trip to take any longer than necessary. InuYasha had run as if he had demons at his heals. However, late in the afternoon when he knew that they were approaching a village he stopped and let Kagome down to walk. InuYasha would put the concealment charm back on when they were a little closer.
 
They probably hadn't taken half a dozen steps when InuYasha heard screams and smelled blood. Changing his mind, he picked Kagome up in his arms and ran towards the source.
 
They discovered some of the youkai that Kaede had spoken of were attacking the village. Even though they were all lower-class demons, they were still more than the villagers could handle. InuYasha set Kagome on her feet and ran into the fray. Too close to the village to use the Wind Scar and not wanting to slash any humans by accident, he went after the youkai with his bare hands and claws.
 
Kagome notched an arrow and concentrated. It was not as difficult to put energy into her arrow as it was to channel it directly through her body. As she heard InuYasha's cries of `Sankon Tessou!' Kagome started to fire. One after another, the demons vanished into a pile of dust as her arrows found their mark.
 
Kagome sunk to her knees as the last demon fell. InuYasha ran to her as he saw her go down.
 
“Kagome, are you all right?” the hanyou asked with worry.
 
“Just tired. It's been a long day for it to end this way,” Kagome responded wearily.
 
InuYasha retrieved the backpack and slung it over his shoulder before he picked Kagome up. He headed towards the village they had just saved.
 
The villagers all came out with cries of, “Thank you, thank you for saving us!” but then came to a complete halt and looked at InuYasha.
 
“You! You're a demon!” one of them yelled.
 
“You're no better than that vermin you just killed!” another shouted.
 
Kagome insisted that InuYasha set her on her feet before she said, “He's the hanyou that just saved your village! Are you saying he should have just let the demons eat you?!”
 
“We're saying we don't let demons or their spawn into our village!” another cried out.
 
Kagome was so angry she was starting to glow pink. The villagers started to back away from her in fear.
 
“She…she's a demon, TOO!” one of them exclaimed.
 
“You idiots, she's a miko,” someone from the middle of the crowd said.
 
The crowd parted as a distinguished looking gentleman walked through, “We only know of one miko who travels with a hanyou. Hanyou, is your name InuYasha?”
 
“What of it!” InuYasha shouted.
 
“Please, forgive us. We have been attacked four days in a row just before dusk. We have become frightened and wary of strangers. Please, let us offer you a room for the night and a meal for saving our village,” the village headman said.
 
InuYasha looked at Kagome. She was exhausted and needed rest and food. He picked her back up and followed the headman.
 
The innkeeper didn't seem too thrilled that the headman brought a hanyou and girl to him and told him to give them a room and a hot meal. InuYasha really didn't care. He was uneasy, but Kagome needed to rest. If the innkeeper had any ideas about putting them in separate rooms, they went out of his head when he saw how tightly the hanyou gripped the girl in his arms. The innkeeper also didn't miss that InuYasha was splattered with blood. Neither did his wife when she came to assist him.
 
“Are these the two that just killed the attacking youkai?” his wife asked.
 
“Huh?” her husband answered. The headman had not told them why they were there - he just said give them a room and a meal. Apparently he assumed the innkeeper knew what had happened.
 
“They say a hanyou and a miko just killed the youkai that have been attacking every day,” his wife answered. “Maybe now we will have guests again.”
 
“Oh. I guess that's why he's got blood all over him,” the man responded, and then said to InuYasha, “We have a bath if you would like one as well.”
 
“Keh. Thank you,” InuYasha said as he stretched his claws out from where he was holding Kagome and looked at the blood embedded in them. “We both need to get cleaned up after that.”
 
The innkeeper seemed a little warmer towards them, though he still didn't approve of them sharing a room. He took them to a fairly large room with a divider partially down the middle with a futon on each side.
 
InuYasha set Kagome on her feet and put the backpack down as Kagome looked at the innkeeper with her warm eyes. “Thank you. Is it possible for us to bathe before we eat? We're filthy after being on the road all day and then battling demons.”
 
“Two tubs are being prepared for you now. Would you like for us to take you?” the wife asked.
 
“Keh,” InuYasha said as Kagome rummaged around in her pack and pulled out a clean set of clothes and her shampoo. When she had everything she needed, they walked side by side behind the innkeeper and his wife towards the waiting baths.
 
Kagome heard the wife gasp as she stripped out of her clothes, “My lady, what did this to you?”
 
Kagome assumed she was talking about the faded scars that were still visible on her back. “We were attacked by wolf-demons. They tore us up pretty good.”
 
“I'm…I'm sorry,” the wife said. She didn't know what else to say. Her first thought had been that InuYasha had done it in some savage rut, for she also saw the mating marks on Kagome's shoulder when she climbed into the tub. She knew better than to mention that to her husband. He would kick them out even if their own son had been among the men that were saved.
 
“My lady, they say you dropped each of the demons with a single arrow,” the woman said.
 
“Just the ones that InuYasha didn't get to first,” Kagome replied as she washed her hair. The innkeeper's wife didn't say anything more. She was still processing the fact that this miko showed more power than any they had ever come across in spite of being mated to a hanyou, and that the hanyou seemed stronger than most full demons. The whole thing was mind-boggling - it should have been impossible.
 
Kagome had finished scrubbing her hair. She asked for someone to take her shampoo and conditioner to InuYasha so he could wash the blood out of his hair. The woman took the two bottles and looked at them curiously as she passed them to her husband, who was attending InuYasha on the other side.
 
The hanyou and the miko were clean, dressed and feeling much better as they returned to their room. They were told that their dinner would be delivered to them. That was fine with both InuYasha and Kagome. They weren't feeling very social, just tired and weary.
 
As much as he wanted to curl up with Kagome, InuYasha was uneasy in this strange place and chose to sit with his back against the wall, Tessaiga across his chest. However, before they assumed their places for sleep, Kagome had removed her sweatpants and panties and was on her hands and knees on the futon. InuYasha knew what she needed and wanted, but also knew that they couldn't make a lot of noise. He did release his youkai so she could get the most out of the fast and furious coupling. InuYasha threw his head back in a silent howl as he slammed into her and flooded her with his energy-riddled seed. He rubbed her back, buttocks and sides with the palms of his hands and thumbs in soothing circles as he continued to pump into her body. When InuYasha finally completed his release, he dropped down and gently cleaned her with his tongue. When he was finished, InuYasha pulled up his hakama and helped his mate back into her underwear and sweatpants as he whispered, “I'll make it up to you when we reach the castle.”
 
Kagome smiled and kissed him. She understood. InuYasha normally would not satisfy only himself. Her mate always made sure she was pleasured as well, but here in this inn, they didn't dare make much noise and she would not be able to help herself. So InuYasha had done what her body was calling for: an infusion of youkai energy needed after using the sacred arrows. She would sleep much better tonight because of it, and she knew he would work extra hard to make it up when they reached the Western Domain.
 
 
The innkeeper sent breakfast to them the following morning before they left. Not certain what she would find when she slid open the door, the servant saw that the miko was asleep fully clothed on her futon while the hanyou watched over her from his place against the wall. If the innkeeper had thought to catch the two naked in bed together, he would be disappointed.
 
InuYasha looked up when the door opened. He gestured towards the girl to put the food down, so she placed the tray on the floor and left. InuYasha gently shook Kagome awake.
 
“Kagome, they brought breakfast. Do you feel like eating?”
 
That was a trick question. Kagome knew she needed to eat something whether she felt like it or not. Fortunately, the bowls of simple soup and rice didn't seem to upset her stomach, and she was able to eat everything. InuYasha watched her carefully as he ate his breakfast as well.
 
Kagome had finished her food as had InuYasha when he asked, “Are you ready to hit the road again?”
 
“Yeah, I guess we should get going. I hope we don't run across any demons today,” Kagome responded.
 
“Well, I think we might run across one,” InuYasha said.
 
Kagome realized she could feel the familiar aura approach as well. “Should we leave and meet him outside the village, or let him scare them to death by coming to look for us?”
 
After the way the villagers treated them yesterday InuYasha almost agreed with the later plan, but decided he didn't want to have to stick around and dig a lot of graves if they were stupid. “Let's go. We've been here long enough.”
 
Kagome nodded in agreement and let InuYasha help her to her feet. He slung the backpack over his shoulder as she picked up her bow and arrows. Together, they thanked the innkeeper and his wife and bid them goodbye.
 
 
They were at the edge of the village as they looked up and saw Sesshomaru floating along without a care in the world, Ah-Uhn close behind him. Fortunately, the villagers decided to stay indoors and hide rather than try to attack the great Demon Lord.
 
Kagome and InuYasha stayed where they were and waited for Sesshomaru to descend to the ground. Kagome knew better than to run up and hug him in public view, so she bowed to him as he approached them instead.
 
“I see you felt our return,” InuYasha said to his brother.
 
“Yes, and I see you have been leaving destruction in your wake again,” Sesshomaru replied. He could see the remains of the demons InuYasha had struck down on the other side of the small village before he landed.
 
“Keh, it wasn't our fault those demons decided to attack the village just before we got here. We told the headman to either bury them or burn them. It's up to the villagers now to dispose of them before they attract anything else,” InuYasha responded.
 
Sesshomaru could feel Kagome's anger as InuYasha spoke. “What is it, Miko?”
 
“It was just the way they treated InuYasha. He kept the villagers from being eaten by demons and then they started yelling at him. I couldn't believe they would act that way after he saved the lot of them,” Kagome responded.
 
InuYasha looked at Kagome. “I'm used to it, Kagome. That's the way it has always been for me. Even when I was with you, the monk and Sango I would still hear what the locals would say. Why do you think I always hated looking for a room for the night, even when the monk could get us one for free? You have no idea how many times I thought about telling you to go without me when you went into a village, but I couldn't bear the thought of leaving you unprotected.”
 
“Oh, InuYasha, I'm so sorry,” Kagome said quietly.
 
“Keh. It's okay. At least they weren't trying to kill me like they would have if I were alone,” the hanyou replied.
 
Sesshomaru had listened quietly to the exchange. He knew he was just as guilty in the past of trying to cause his brother harm. Deciding it was time for a change of subject he said, “Are you two ready to go to the castle, or would you prefer to continue on foot?”
 
“Fuck no! The less time we have to stay out in the open, the better,” InuYasha said. He couldn't help but to worry over the safety of his pregnant mate.
 
InuYasha took the backpack and secured it to Ah-Uhn's harness and then put Kagome up on the dragon's back. After handing her bow and arrows to her, InuYasha jumped up behind his mate.
 
Once they were settled and InuYasha had pulled Kagome back so she was leaning against his chest, Sesshomaru left the ground and headed west with Ah-Uhn behind him.
 
Sesshomaru had scoped out a good spot for them to spend the night on his trip towards the east. In the late afternoon, he started down and landed in a clearing by a stream. Kagome was stiff and was glad for the opportunity to stretch her legs once she was on the ground. She started gathering firewood while InuYasha went hunting.
 
InuYasha never could tell what Kagome would be able to keep down these days, so he came back with rabbits and fish along with some edible berries and roots. He put the meat over the fire to cook and the roots on the edge so they could roast. InuYasha smiled just a little as he looked at his mate, stretched out on her back in the sun with Sesshomaru watching over her.
 
Sesshomaru just raised an eyebrow when he saw the assortment of food, but then remembered those days when Kichou was throwing up nearly everything she tried to eat. Kichou had been frustrated that many of the foods she usually enjoyed were making her sick. Even after she had the pups, she never had the desire for some of her favorite foods again.
 
Before their dinner was ready Sesshomaru watched over his brother and mate as InuYasha pulled Kagome into his lap and she disappeared into the folds of his haori. Sesshomaru was still fascinated by the process of Kagome pulling energy from her hanyou mate as her aura surrounded the two of them. Even when it had finally receded into the miko and disappeared, InuYasha was content to hold Kagome safely in his arms and breathe in her calming scent.
 
They were finally brought back to the real world by the smell of roasting rabbit and fish. Kagome tried the fish first and was able to keep it down, so she continued eating the fish she had. InuYasha passed a rabbit to his brother and took one for himself. He handed Kagome one of the roots and she was able to eat it as well. Satisfied that he had been successful in finding something his mate could enjoy, InuYasha took another of the roots and munched on it along with his rabbit.
 
Fortunately, the late afternoon and evening was much quieter than the day before. There were no rampaging and attacking youkai, so Kagome went to sleep under the watchful eyes of her mate and his brother. Sesshomaru finally convinced his brother to lie down with her and get some sleep as well. InuYasha had stayed up most of the night in the inn in case anyone got a bug up their butt and decided to attack them in the middle of the night. While he could tell the village headman and the innkeeper's wife meant well, he didn't trust any of the rest of them. InuYasha could hear every comment made about both him and his mate as he carried her through the village to the inn. It was then that InuYasha came to a decision: when they were back safely in Kagome's era, he was going to talk to her about staying there. He was adjusting and fitting in, and he would not have to worry as much about the safety of his mate. She had not heard those who wanted to kill them both and throw them into the pyre when the demon carcasses were burned.
 
 
InuYasha was relieved to see the castle that was the home of Lord Sesshomaru come into view in the middle of the next afternoon. The rest of their trip had been uneventful, and they had only stopped for lunch and to let Ah-Uhn rest and water. While InuYasha greatly appreciated the amount of time cut off of their trip by using the dragon, he was stiff and ready to set his feet on the ground. InuYasha could also tell that Kagome's back was starting to ache, even though she was propped against him. Apparently that couldn't be helped - her body was starting to change more every day as the pups grew within her. So, InuYasha did the best he could and tried to massage the knots out of her back as they flew across the western lands.
 
Kagome smiled as she looked down and saw Rin and Shippou waving at them. She waved back and they moved out of the way to make sure that Ah-Uhn had plenty of room to land.
 
“Kagome! Kagome! You're back!” Shippou shouted as InuYasha helped Kagome off of the back of the dragon. The hanyou could see the kitsune's nose working ninety miles an hour.
 
“Yes, Shippou, I told you I would come back after I was through with school,” Kagome replied.
 
“So you're all through, you can stay now?” Shippou asked.
 
“No, she can't, runt. We've just come to visit and check on you,” InuYasha replied. Kagome gave him a look that made him glad he no longer had the rosary.
 
Kagome had dropped down and spread her arms to give the kitsune a hug. She finally turned him loose when he squealed because she was holding him so tightly.
 
Rin had been watching the exchange and finally said, “InuYasha-sama, Kagome-sama, are you well?”
 
Kagome had stood and was standing next to her mate. “Yes Rin, we are. How have you and Shippou been?”
 
Rin smiled and said, “Shippou is getting much better at his illusions, and he can read and write almost as well as Rin now!”
 
Sesshomaru finally spoke, “Do you mind if we move this indoors? You will probably want to get cleaned up before dinner.”
 
Kagome and InuYasha looked at him and nodded. They would like to wash the dust of travel off of them. InuYasha picked the backpack up and slung it over his shoulder. They went inside to find a servant ready to show them to their usual quarters.
 
Shippou tried to follow them into their suite when InuYasha asked, “Oi, runt, where're you going?”
 
“I'm gonna take a bath with Kagome,” the kitsune replied.
 
“You can't runt,” InuYasha responded.
 
“Why! Why are you being so mean!” Shippou wailed.
 
“Because she's my mate and she bathes with me,” InuYasha said rather matter of factly. Not to mention the fact he could feel Kagome's need and there were a couple of other things they needed to do besides bathe.
 
Kagome said gently, “He's right, Shippou. I know you hate hearing this, but you'll understand when you're older.”
 
“Why'd you even come back!” Shippou shouted.
 
“Because I promised I would, Shippou. I promised to come back after school to see how you were,” Kagome responded softly.
 
InuYasha snatched Shippou up by the back of his shirt and thumped him on the head, though not too hard. “It's time for me to have a talk with the runt. Kagome, you go lay down for a few minutes, and I'll be back.”
 
InuYasha carried the protesting kitsune out to the gardens and plopped him down on a bench. Shippou tried to run when InuYasha set him down, but found himself in the grip of an angry and growling Inu-hanyou.
 
“I know you've been sniffing at Kagome. Tell me, runt, what have you discovered?” InuYasha asked. He had stopped growling when Shippou had stopped struggling.
 
“That she smells too much like you!” Shippou yelled at him.
 
“Don't give me that. What else?” InuYasha responded.
 
“I…I don't know. It's kind of like Sango…” Shippou's eyes got really wide. “Before she had the baby…”
 
“Yeah, runt, it's like that. Do you have any idea how hard it was for her to keep her promise and come to see you in her condition? What she chanced coming all this way just because she told you she would? That we had to stop and battle demons? Do you understand that she did this because she promised she would and because she loves you?” InuYasha questioned.
 
Shippou's reaction was not quite what InuYasha expected. The little kit started to pound him with his tiny fists, and then jumped back yelling, “IT'S NOT FAIR! It's all YOUR fault! YOU did this to her!”
 
InuYasha could tell he was about to hit him with his foxfire - InuYasha raised his arm to cover his face as Shippou tried to blast him.
 
“THAT DOES IT YOU LITTLE RUNT!” InuYasha yelled at him. The hanyou pounced and grabbed the kitsune by the scruff of his neck with his teeth and shook him, growling furiously the entire time.
 
That brought Shippou to his senses. He had just attacked the alpha male that had saved him, protected him, and made sure he didn't go hungry for over two years. Shippou went limp and whimpered his apologies until InuYasha dropped him to the ground.
 
“I…I'm sorry, InuYasha,” Shippou groveled.
 
InuYasha had calmed back down once Shippou had backed down. He sat back down on the bench and indicated for Shippou to join him.
 
“Shippou, Kagome is my mate. I told her we wouldn't have pups until she was ready, but she was ready, Shippou. She won't love you any less, but we can't stay here,” InuYasha said quietly.
 
“Why not? Why can't you stay here at the castle?” Shippou asked.
 
“This isn't our home. It's Sesshomaru and Rin's home. Kagome's home is near her mother. She needs her, especially now. Can you understand that at all?” InuYasha responded.
 
Shippou thought about how much time Kichou was spending with her own mother, even though she was grown and had the four pups of her own. Kaiho spent a lot of time with her daughter and the pups. He nodded slowly, though he didn't quite understand, he knew it was true.
 
“Shippou, do you like it here with Rin?” InuYasha asked.
 
Shippou nodded enthusiastically, it was why he wanted Kagome to stay there so he could be with them both.
 
“I know Kagome loves you, but neither of us can help you with what you are learning with the kitsune here in the castle. And Rin really seems to enjoy your company and is happy that you are taking her lessons with her. Would you really be happier back with Kaede than you are here? Were you happier when you were at the slayer village with Sango and Miroku? Remember, it was your choice to go with them. Kagome wanted you to stay,” InuYasha said.
 
Shippou thought about it, and realized he had been happiest when he was with Rin. He was growing stronger almost every day and he loved his lessons learning to read and write. As much as he loved Kaede, there was only so much herb sorting you could do, and at the slayer village, well there was only so many times he wanted to see Miroku rub Sango's butt.
 
“You don't think Kagome would be mad if I wanted to stay here, even if she didn't?” Shippou asked.
 
“Shippou, Kagome wants what's best for you. It's obvious that you are happy and healthy. Rin seems the happiest I've ever seen her. You must be doing something right if my brother is letting you hang around.”
 
“I have been working a lot harder since you were here last. I'm sorry I tried to burn you,” Shippou said quietly.
 
“Keh, lucky the firerat is fireproof or you might have done some damage. Now, are you going to be throwing any more fucking tantrums, or are you done?” InuYasha replied.
 
Shippou did something else unexpected, he jumped on InuYasha's lap and wrapped his arms around him as he said, “I'm sorry. I'm done. I won't do it again.”
 
InuYasha wrapped one arm around him and scruffed the top of his head with the other. “Okay, runt. Let's go in. I need a bath before dinner so I don't offend my brother's sensitive nose.”
 
Shippou laughed as InuYasha set him down and the two headed back indoors.
 
 
InuYasha found Kagome napping on the bed. He started a trail of kisses from her neck up towards her lips until he heard, “mmmm, what took you so long?”
 
“The runt had a fucking temper tantrum. He even tried to burn me with his foxfire,” InuYasha replied.
 
“What?!” exclaimed Kagome.
 
“I could tell he was sniffing at you and finally thought I should let him know why you smell different now. He threw a fit when he realized you are pupped. He started yelling at me that it was all my fault - that I did that to you.”
 
“Well, it is your fault, you know,” Kagome replied with a slight smile. “You made me fall in love with you and want to have your pups.”
 
InuYasha kissed her softly. “I still don't deserve you.”
 
“I keep saying the same thing, but I guess we're stuck with each other,” Kagome responded, and then asked, “So did you get things worked out?”
 
“Keh. I asked him to think about everything, and he realized that he's been happiest here with Rin. I tried to get him to understand that we can't stay here because it isn't our home. I know you need to be near your mother. I know you talk to her nearly every day when we are home. I don't know if he really understood, but he said that he did,” InuYasha answered.
 
“How did you know I need my mother?” Kagome asked quietly.
 
“Keh, the same way I knew you needed Ayume, I just knew. I mean, what do I know about whelping pups? What do I know about how you feel now other than some of your favorite foods make you sick? It only makes sense you would want to talk to your mother since Sango has moved on.”
 
“She has, hasn't she? I mean both Miroku and her. I guess we don't have anything to tie us together any more now that Naraku has been defeated and the Shikon no Tama has been purified and is gone. InuYasha, do we have any real reason to stay here any more?” Kagome barely whispered as she spoke.
 
“I…I was thinking about that on the way here, especially after the battle with the demons and then the way villagers acted. Kagome, I can live in your time. At one time I wouldn't have thought I would ever say that, but I can. I have been adjusting all right, and seem to have some skills that are of use. While your era isn't danger free, it certainly doesn't have the problems that this one does. We would never be safe anywhere other than in this castle or Kaede's village, and I don't even know how the humans there would react if they found out we were actually mates and you were carrying my pups. Sooner or later word would get out and both humans and youkai would be coming after them. That doesn't seem to be a problem in your area since there appear to be a lot more hanyou than now. Maybe its time for us to move on, too,” InuYasha said seriously.
 
Kagome nodded as a tear trailed down her cheek. “And it's not like we'll never see them again. I know we're going to get to see Rin and Shippou again. I wonder what he looks like all grown up?”
 
“Probably just a bigger version of the annoying runt,” InuYasha replied with a grin.
 
Kagome stood up and started to take off her clothes. “Come on, they'll be waiting for us if we don't hurry. We were supposed to have a bath before supper.”
 
 
They were bathed and smelled much better when they joined the others for dinner. They made love in the bath, and InuYasha made sure that Kagome had climaxed as well this time before he filled her with the heat that was waiting to pour from his loins. Even though they had scrubbed each other well, InuYasha knew that wasn't a scent that could just be washed away, at least not from the nose of an Inu-youkai. He saw the slight smile flicker across Kaminari's face as they joined them at the table. Well, at least this time they had been in their suite and not in the corridor.
 
It was a busy table for dinner. Kaminari and Kaiho both had joined them along with Shippou and Rin. Apparently Shippou was doing much better and was now allowed in Sesshomaru's quarters as long as he was accompanied by one of the others. He still didn't have the total access that Rin did, but it was a great improvement. InuYasha and Kagome both laughed as the others told them some of Shippou's escapades the last few months. InuYasha noticed the only time the little kitsune blushed, though, was when Rin was talking about him with an enthusiasm that was unrivaled. InuYasha looked over and saw that his brother actually almost rolled his eyes. He wondered if Sesshomaru had any idea what he'd gotten himself in to when he took the kitsune in.
 
After dinner Kichou proudly took them to the nursery to see her growing pups. Kagome and InuYasha were both amazed at how much they had grown. It was also amazing how well they were getting around. They were on their hands and knees in what was basically a large playpen. Apparently they all knew when their mama arrived because they looked like a hoard of puppies as they scooted across the floor to right in front of her. InuYasha held back a laugh - he would have sworn his brother looked jealous. Of course the pups weren't dumb - they knew who fed them. When the wet-nurse came over she got almost the same reaction.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 Kagome and InuYasha stayed for almost a week. Kagome made sure to spend plenty of time with Shippou as InuYasha sat nearby and watched over them. He was sitting on a bench in the gardens when his brother sat down next to him. Neither of them said anything until Sesshomaru finally spoke, “You won't be coming back, will you?”
 
InuYasha looked at his brother. “I decided after we left the village where you met us. Do you know that we fucking saved them from those demons and yet they were talking about killing both of us and throwing our bodies into the pyre with the youkai we had killed? I know if they had any idea that we were mates and she was carrying my offspring they would have fucking tried to do it. Sesshomaru, I just can't put her through that. I had to fight almost every fucking day of my life just to stay alive because of what I am. I want Kagome and our pups to be safe and happy. I'm doing okay in her era. I'm adjusting and learning. Her mother and family all accept me for what I am. I think it would be best to stay there.”
 
“Tell me something, Little Brother. Why do you not consider me a threat any more? Even when you were almost full youkai with your mate, you were not threatened by my presence. Can you tell me?” Sesshomaru asked seriously.
 
“I probably shouldn't say too much, but believe it or not, you've been a big help to me. You're one of the reasons I've been able to adjust and fit in. You've been a…a…brother and a…friend,” InuYasha said very quietly.
 
Sesshomaru nodded his understanding and did not say anything more. When he stood to leave, he placed his hand on InuYasha's shoulder before he headed back inside.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
The good-byes were more tearful and longer this time. Even though nothing was said, everyone was pretty certain that it was going to be a very long time before they saw each other again - well at least for those living in feudal Japan. Kagome tried to squeeze the life out of Shippou again and then gave Kichou, Rin, Kaminari, and Kaiho a hug as well. Kichou and Rin both hugged InuYasha whether he wanted to or not. Even the little kitsune jumped up in the hanyou's arms to get scruffed on top of the head one last time.
 
Sesshomaru was escorting them back to the well and was ready to head out. After the last round of hugs, InuYasha placed his mate on Ah-Uhn's back and jumped up behind her. Kagome waved good-bye as the dragon followed his master into the air and headed east.
 
 
To be continued…