InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Purity 5: Phantasm ❯ Closer ( Chapter 20 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

~~Chapter 20~~
~Closer~
 
Sydnie grabbed a handful of strawberry blonde hair in each fist and pulled it apart, taking her time inspecting the spot with a thoughtful scowl. “You look so different,” she crooned, leaning back to glance into Gunnar's face.
 
Gunnar wrinkled his nose. “Rub it in, Sydnie,” he grumbled.
 
She giggled and resumed her perusal of his head. His long black locks had turned a lovely shade of gold touched with the barest hint of red. His cute little hanyou ears were gone, too—which was the reason she was currently searching his hair.
 
Bas rolled his eyes but chuckled. Sydnie had never seen a hanyou during their period of vulnerability, and judging from the look on her face, she was enjoying Gunnar's a lot.
 
“So you're like this once a month?” she demanded, kneeling on the floor so she could peer up into Gunnar's face. “Green eyes . . . who would have thought?”
 
“I have my mother's coloring,” he told her with a scowl. “Would you quit it? I'm not a science experiment.”
 
Sydnie peeked back at Bas, who was sprawled on the sofa. “And you used to do this, too?”
 
“Used to,” he agreed, “but it happened to me on the night of the new moon.”
 
Sydnie pondered that for a moment before turning her attention back to Gunnar once more. “You're so pretty!” she gushed. Gunnar grunted.
 
Bas shook out the newspaper he had been reading and scanned the sports page. He, like his oldest sister Bellaniece, hadn't actually changed much on their human nights, unlike Gunnar, whose coloring changed completely. When they'd returned from exchanging the rental van, Bas had ordered food from room service while Sydnie wandered around the hotel suite. Examining the interior of the armoire that held the television, she had reminded him of a cat checking out new surroundings, and the thought had made him smile. Sure, he was a dog-youkai, and there were moments when he couldn't help certain compulsions, but Sydnie . . . She was a cat, through and through, and he couldn't help but find the mannerisms endearing.
 
Where's Gunnar?” she asked finally, turning her back on the armoire.
 
Bas shrugged. “In his room, maybe?” he mused, dropping his leather duster over the back of a chair at the table and reminding himself that he really had to do something about his lack of clothing since they'd left all his clothes behind in Ardmore during their impromptu escape.
 
Sydnie nodded, staring thoughtfully at Gunnar's door for a long minute before slowly sauntering toward it.
 
What are you doing, cat?
 
She shot him a quick glance. “Something feels weird,” she told him.
 
Well, Gunnar is a little strange,” he deadpanned. “I'm going to go take a quick shower. If the food gets here before I'm done, have him get it.”
 
She nodded as he headed off to take a shower before the food arrived, and she raised her fist to knock on his door.
 
Gunnar either hadn't heard Sydnie, or he'd been trying to ignore her. She was still knocking when Bas emerged from the bathroom ten minutes later, striding through the room to answer the door since he knew that, if at all possible, she wouldn't. Sydnie wrinkled her nose as she opened the door and let herself in, and her excited shriek made Bas cringe as he closed the door behind the bellhop. He started toward Gunnar's room but stopped when his cousin, with Sydnie in tow, had stomped out. She was trying to touch his hair, and he looked quite out of sorts about the entire affair. She hadn't left him alone since.
 
“So you're always human on the night of the quarter moon?” Sydnie demanded.
 
“The first quarter, yes,” Gunnar replied with a sigh.
 
“Interesting,” she drawled. “Very interesting . . .”
 
Bas grunted, scanning the football scores. “Awesome,” he mumbled. “Looks like the Patriots are going to make the playoffs.”
 
“I still don't get football,” Gunnar remarked blandly. “I mean, the ball's not even round.”
 
“You don't get it because you're not a real man,” Bas shot back.
 
“You don't like football?” Sydnie asked.
 
Gunnar shrugged. “Nope . . . while Bas was busy chasing around a misshapen ball, I was too busy being chased by women.”
 
“Shut up, you ass,” Bas grumbled.
 
Sydnie giggled and rolled to her hands and knees, crawling toward the sofa. She climbed up beside Bas and leaned against his arm, letting her fingertips trace his bicep.
 
Gunnar stood up and stomped off toward the small kitchenette while Sydnie flipped through channels with the remote. Bas folded up the newspaper and snatched the control out of her hand, setting on the news while Sydnie sighed and let her head fall against his shoulders. “How are your ribs?” she asked.
 
Bas shot her a quick glance. “Better. A little sore if I move the wrong way, but all right otherwise.”
 
She nodded. “Good.”
 
Gunnar dropped into an overstuffed recliner off to the side with a bag of microwave popcorn. Sydnie leaned forward, peering around Bas, her eyes widening as she sniffed the air. Bas almost smiled. “Want some popcorn, kitty?” he asked.
 
Sydnie blinked and forced her gaze away from the bag lying casually in Gunnar's lap. “Maybe,” she allowed.
 
Bas grinned. “Okay.” He cleared his throat as he turned his attention on his unsuspecting cousin. “Hey, Gun . . .”
 
“What?”
 
“I left my cell in my coat . . . could you get it for me?”
 
Gunnar shot Bas a suspicious glance since Bas rarely asked anyone to do anything for him, and consequently rarely did anything for anyone when he thought that they could do it themselves. Of course there were some significant exceptions to that rule, namely his parents and Sydnie, but Bas tended to hate it when people were lazy, and Gunnar knew it. He nodded just the same and stood, setting the bag of popcorn on the coffee table before heading over to dig Bas' cell phone out of the duster slung over one of the wooden chairs at the table.
 
Bas lifted his eyebrows at Sydnie. She grinned and stood up long enough to grab the bag before dropping back onto the sofa beside him with a little smile on her face as she popped a few pieces into her mouth. “Thank you,” she said.
 
He chuckled. “You're welcome.”
 
Gunnar dropped the cell phone into Bas' lap and snorted. “Oi, my popcorn!” he exclaimed as he reached for the bag. Sydnie batted his hand away, uttering a low hissing growl. “Now listen here, kitten—”
 
“You abandoned it,” she pointed out reasonably.
 
“I set it down to get Bas' stupid phone,” Gunnar argued.
 
“Possession is nine-tenths of the law,” she replied.
 
Bas sat back and watched the exchange with a very amused grin.
 
Gunnar flopped into his chair and shook his head. “Okay, cat, I got you.”
 
She sighed happily as she continued to eat the pilfered popcorn while Gunnar stalked off, muttering under his breath. Bas reached for the bag. Sydnie slapped his hand away, too. “You know, I helped you get that,” he remarked.
 
“I know you did,” she agreed, “and I said thank you.”
 
Bas shook his head. Gunnar sat back down and whistled, drawing Bas' attention just before chucking a piece of popcorn at him. Bas scowled but caught the food in his mouth. Sydnie giggled and sat back, watching with avid interest as Gunnar continued to throw popcorn at his cousin.
 
“Enough,” Bas growled, catching yet another bite as he scowled at Gunnar.
 
“You're as bad as Ryomaru,” Gunnar chuckled.
 
“Ryomaru?” Sydnie asked.
 
“My uncle,” Bas mumbled around a mouthful of popcorn. “I can't help it! I'm a dog, remember?”
 
Gunnar laughed, probably since he was human and wouldn't be as compelled to catch anything that came flying at him, Bas supposed.
 
“He catches food, too?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Oh, now that's interesting,” she mused.
 
Bas sighed. Somehow, he had a feeling that he was going to regret arming Sydnie with that knowledge.
 
 
-OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO-
 
 
Sydnie bit her lip as she slowly paced around the foot of the bed, staring at Bas as he bent his knee and scooted down in the bed, making himself more comfortable. Propped against the wooden headboard, he was reading the newspaper, clad in the only pair of jeans he had and pleasantly bare-chested. Pausing for a moment to appreciate the solid configuration of muscles under his skin, she almost smiled as he turned the page of the newspaper. The action set off a reaction in his body, every muscle moving in accordance like a well-honed machine. She loved watching him, doubted she'd ever grow tired of doing it. She remembered a phrase she'd read before, and at the time, she'd thought it was cheesy and stupid. `Poetry in motion . . .' she mused as she indulged herself for a moment longer. Funny how she remembered it now. Funnier still that she finally realized just what it had meant . . .
 
He didn't give any indication that he noticed her rapt attention, and that was just as well. She turned and shuffled back across the floor, eyes trained on the hunter who looked so relaxed at the moment . . .
 
She stopped, grasping the end of the coverlet and kneading it in her hands. Bas glanced over the top of the newspaper and looked from side to side almost nervously. “Sydnie? What do—oof!” he grunted as she pounced on him, the sudden impact knocking the air out of him. Snuggling against his chest, she wiggled around for a minute until she was comfortably situated with her head tucked neatly under his chin, her ear pressed against him, close enough to hear his beating heart. “What are you doing?” he asked, his tone gentle, amused, as he dropped the paper on the bed beside him and clumsily stroked her hair.
 
She closed her eyes, sighing in complete contentment as she rested her hand on his chest. “Stalking you, puppy,” she told him.
 
“Really.”
 
“Yes, and I caught you.”
 
“Oh? So what are you going to do with me now?” he asked.
 
She yawned. “What do you think? I'm going to go to sleep.”
 
“You're going to sleep on me?”
 
She nodded, struggling to answer him while the inviting lure of sleep beckoned her. “Mmm.”
 
“Sydnie . . .”
 
“Hush, Sebastian. I can't sleep when you're talking.”
 
He sighed but slowly relaxed. She was almost asleep when she felt the soft brush of covers being pulled over her, and she smiled vaguely. The gentle pressure of his arms wrapping around her added to the feeling of complete security that enveloped her as she drifted off to sleep.
 
 
-OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO-
 
 
`God, she's beautiful.'
 
Bas smiled in the dim glow of the security lights filtering through the hotel room window as he stared at the sleeping cat-youkai curled up on his chest. He'd never seen her fall asleep so fast, but the subtle shift in her scent was enough to assure him that she was, indeed, sleeping. Her legs were bent, curled to the side, neatly tucked under his raised knees, and he held her, rubbing her back with one hand as she nestled closer to him.
 
Lifting a lock of her auburn hair to his nose, he shuddered as an entirely too-pleasant shiver raced down his spine. Breathing in the scent of her, he brushed her hair over his lips. `My . . . mate . . .'
 
The words seemed strangely comforting in his mind. They felt natural, like opening his eyes in the morning, like drawing breath. She was mysterious yet familiar. He might not know some things about her, but the things he did know were enough for now . . .
 
A strange rumble cut through the silence in the room, and Bas blinked in surprise. It took him a moment to figure out what it was, and he shifted slightly so that he could better see her face. She wasn't smiling but her face was peaceful. `She . . . she's . . . purring?'
 
Do you purr?
 
Of course not.”
 
But you're a kitty, and kitties purr.”
 
Not this one, pretty boy. At least, I don't think I do.”
 
Ah, so you might.”
 
Anything's possible . . .”
 
He shook his head, slowly brushing her hair back out of her eyes. `So . . . she does purr, after all . . .'
 
`Maybe she didn't know she did,' his youkai pointed out reasonably.
 
`Maybe,' he agreed.
 
`Or maybe . . .'
 
`Hmm?'
 
`Maybe she's never had a reason to before.'
 
And that thought made him smile.
 
She wasn't purring loudly. Weak and faltering now and again, as though it wasn't a sound she made often, it was somehow reassuring nonetheless. A sudden surge of pride washed through him. She felt safe with him, didn't she? `Safe enough to purr . . .'
 
Frightening really, how perfect she felt in his arms. He wasn't sure he'd ever really bought into the belief that there was someone out there that he would consider his mate. He'd never honestly believed that he'd feel that way about anyone, and Sydnie . . . He never would have thought that a woman like Sydnie could turn him inside out with such flair. The difference was that he wanted to take care of her; he wanted to be the one that she relied on. She'd been alone for far too long, hadn't she? `You'll never be alone again, Sydnie . . .'
 
She stirred slightly, a soft moan escaping her as she snuggled closer to him. He rubbed her back a little more, and the purring started up again.
 
Jillian had done the same thing, hadn't she? Crawling into his bed sometime during the night, his adopted sister had made herself at home in Bas' bed almost entirely from the start. Cain had sensed a youkai in the area, and when he'd found the woman deep in the forest on their estate, she'd asked him to take her daughter—she'd given birth in the woods—and to keep her safe. Cain had brought the infant home, and he and Gin had kept her despite the fact that Evan had only been about three months old at the time.
 
Bas distinctly remembered sitting up for hours with Jillian nestled in the center of his chest. She'd only sleep if she could hear a heartbeat, and while most nights were spent with the infant on Cain's chest, every so often, Bas would fall asleep with Jillian on him, and she'd still be there in the morning. As she got older, she never outgrew her penchant for slipping into his bed. Bas hadn't minded it very much until, at five and unceremoniously ousted from his parents' bed, Evan had started crawling into Bas' bed, too . . .
 
What he hadn't realized at the time, since most of his summers were spent in Japan, was that Jillian had started migrating in his summer absences. Latching onto Gavin Jamison, the son of one of Cain's hunters, she'd started sleeping with him—the first summer he'd come to visit. She had been four. He was nine at the time. Every summer after that, she slept with Gavin, going so far as to abandon Bas completely during the few summers when he had remained in Maine. Bas, though, had finally managed to kick Jillian out of his bed last year, citing that she was too old to be sleeping with him, which didn't mean she didn't still try—which also didn't mean that Bas hadn't given in more than once and let her, deciding that sitting up and arguing with her for hours on end while she whined and cajoled wasn't really worth the effort, after all . . .
 
He frowned. Two very different girls, sure; two entirely different feelings . . . Jillian felt safe with Bas because he was her big brother, he supposed, and Sydnie? Deep down, maybe Sydnie just desperately wanted to belong somewhere with someone, to know that she was loved and cherished . . . and maybe, in that, there wasn't really a difference between Jillian and Sydnie, at all . . .
 
 
~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~ *~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~
A/N:
Interesting site on moon phases:
http://www.calculatorcat.com/moon_phases/moon_phases.phtml .
== == == == == == == == == ==
Reviewers
==========
MMorg
NekoKamiFL ------ OROsan0677 ------ NyteAngelOfDarkness7 ------ Ayita ------ Rawben ------ JasonC
==========
Final Thought fromBas:
She … purrs?
==========
Blanket disclaimer for this fanfic (will apply to this and all other chapters in Phantasm): I do not claim any rights to InuYasha or the characters associated with the anime/manga. Those rights belong to Rumiko Takahashi, et al. I do offer my thanks to her for creating such vivid characters for me to terrorize.
 
~Sue~