InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Live and Let Die (Part 2): Awakenings ❯ To Save The Village ( Chapter 6 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I still do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi. However, any original characters do belong to me.
 
AN: Thanks to those of you who take the time to leave a review. The more I get, the faster I tend to write.
 
 
Live and Let Die: Awakenings
 
 
Chapter 6: To Save The Village
 
 
Lord Sesshomaru had floated up to where Rin was on Kirara's back, safely out of reach of the priest and his group of men.
 
“Rin. Did they harm you?” the Demon Lord gently asked.
 
“No. Rin was just scared. Rin is afraid they hurt Ah-Un, though,” the little girl responded, her arms still wrapped around Kirara's neck.
 
“Ah-Un is unharmed. They immobilized him so that he could not move, but the miko freed him. Rin, the demon slayer will need the firecat's help when the youkai arrive. Can you move over to Ah-Un up here, or should he land?” Sesshomaru asked quietly.
 
“Rin understands. They just need to be closer together.”
 
Kirara and Ah-Un both seemed to recognize what was needed, and Kirara floated so that she was alongside the two-headed dragon's broad back.
 
“Rin, take my hand,” Sesshomaru commanded as he reached out to her.
 
“Yes, My Lord,” Rin responded as she stretched out to take Sesshomaru's hand as he helped her move from Kirara's back to that of the dragon.
 
“Thank you, Kirara!” Rin shouted after the transfer was complete, and she was securely on Ah-Un.
 
“Rin.”
 
“Yes, My Lord?”
 
“There will be a battle below in a few minutes. I want you to stay up here on Ah-Un, out of the way,” Sesshomaru said softly as he thought, `so that you do not get hurt.'
 
“Rin understands.”
 
“Good.”
 
Sesshomaru returned to the ground, lighting next to his half brother. InuYasha turned to Sesshomaru and said quietly, “What Kagome did not tell them is that one of the youkai is carrying three jewel shards. At least we think that one has all three, since that aura is so much more powerful than the others.”
 
Sesshomaru nodded in understanding. The use of three jewel shards would greatly increase the power of any youkai that chose to use them.
 
“Is Rin all right?” Kagome asked the Demon Lord.
 
“She is well. She will remain out of the way on Ah-Un,” Sesshomaru replied.
 
 
 
In spite of Kagome's warnings, many of the men took off running, heading back towards their homes. Others ran deeper into the woods, heeding the alert that the youkai were most likely coming from the direction of their village. Only a handful was left to battle the incoming youkai.
 
“No! No! Do not leave me!” the priest shouted. “I will protect you from whatever foul evil comes this way!”
 
“Oi! Don't you mean you want them to protect you!” InuYasha shouted as he drew Tessaiga and transformed it.
 
They did not need Kagome to tell them that the youkai were near. The screams of the men that had run headlong into them announced their arrival.
 
“Yo! What's going on!” Kouga yelled as he ran up to join the group.
 
“It is another youkai!” The priest screeched.
 
“What's his problem?” Kouga asked.
 
Miroku had sutra in one hand and his staff in the other. “That is the priest we told you about. Almost all of the village men ran off when Kagome announced the demons were nearly here.”
 
“They're here!” Kagome shouted as the remaining sunlight was suddenly blocked from their view. They had to lean back to see the youkai that was towering over them.
 
It appeared to have been a snake youkai of some kind, but had been mutated, most likely by the jewel shards. Not only was the thing huge, but it also had two arms, each with a hand that had long, razor sharp claws attached. And the appendages were not useless - the giant snake reached down to take a swipe at the group.
 
“It has all three jewel shards! One is embedded in the roof of its mouth, one is on top of its head, and the other is…EW!” Kagome shouted to the group.
 
“Where is the third one, Kagome!” InuYasha bellowed back.
 
“It's…it's down in the middle of its belly. I think it's stuck where it…it…” Kagome yelled, but she couldn't finish as she searched for the word that she needed.
 
“Where it WHAT, Miko?” Sesshomaru asked.
 
“COPULATES!” Kagome screeched as she turned bright red. She remembered just enough of her biology to be pretty certain that was where the third shard was jammed.
 
Sesshomaru actually chuckled as he strode forth, unleashing his whip. He found it amusing the miko had so much trouble with a word she had recently had so much practice at. He was practically smiling as he started slashing the incoming snakes to ribbons.
 
They were attacked from nearly all sides as numerous smaller versions of the snake youkai came at them. A couple were still gulping down the remains of the men they had come across that were running back towards the village. Kagome cringed as she watched the knees and feet of the men disappear down the snakes' throats.
 
Kagome drew her bow and fired her first arrow at one of the snakes that had just swallowed a man whole. She was hoping if she killed it and the man wasn't dead before he was eaten, there might be some hope for him.
 
“Hit the mark!” she yelled as the arrow, glowing brightly with her energy, headed directly towards the body of the snake. It hit it squarely in the center, causing the youkai to turn to dust, releasing the man it had just eaten to fall out onto the ground.
 
“Hiraikotsu!!” they heard Sango shout as the giant boomerang hurtled through the air above them. Sango was on Kirara's back, attacking the hoards of lesser youkai that surrounded the monster above them. The boomerang neatly beheaded one as it returned to her hand, only to be caught and hurled again.
 
Kagome had starting firing arrows, one after the other, at the snake youkai as they attacked. She quickly discovered that not only was she stronger and not fatiguing very quickly, but that her accuracy in aiming seemed to have improved as well. She was reducing the serpents to dust as she hit them. Like had happened with the first she hit, the bodies of the men that had been devoured fell to the ground as the snakes perished at her hand.
 
Kouga had taken on the snakes with his bare hands. Well, almost bare hands. They heard the cry of, “Goraishi!” as the wolf youkai lit into the serpents with his mystical claws. The forest floor seemed to be covered with the vile things.
 
Even Jaken had gotten into the battle, taking on some of the smaller serpents that probably thought, as a toad, he would be a good meal. Whether he had intentionally entered the battle, or was strictly trying to defend himself, they did not know; but the toad imp was doing a pretty good job of frying the serpents that came after him with the Staff of Two Heads.
 
The huge snake that towered above the entire fray was getting frustrated. It was having trouble moving in the dense wood, though it mostly just crushed the trees beneath it. However, it knew that the girl had more jewel shards, and that was what it wanted. The dark hanyou that had given the snake the three shards told it that if enough havoc were caused, a girl with more shards would come to it. Naraku had been right.
 
InuYasha had charged headlong into the giant snake that hovered above them all. However, its skin was tougher than any armor, so he couldn't make a dent in it; he and everyone else were far to close for him to use the Bakuryuuha. InuYasha was going to have to either lead the huge youkai away from the others, or the others away from it.
 
Kagome had moved into a small clearing, still firing arrows at the oncoming snakes. She did not see the shadow that loomed above her as the snake tried to position itself to where it could strike at the miko.
 
“Kagomeeeee!” InuYasha shouted as he rushed at her, taking a massive leap and snatching her out of the way of the giant jaws. They tumbled together on the ground and rolled almost right into another of the foul serpents.
 
“Careful, Little Brother,” Sesshomaru said as he used his whip to slice off the head of the smaller snake that lunged at the couple.
 
“Don't these things ever end!” InuYasha shouted as he struck down two more that came after him. Miroku was using his Kazaana to sweep up both dead snakes and live ones that made the mistake of getting into his line of fire.
 
“We've got to do something about that monster!” Kagome yelled out.
 
“I know! Tessaiga just bounces off of it because of the jewel shards. It's like when I had to battle Ryuukotsusei! I need to get clear to use the Bakuryuuha!” InuYasha bellowed back.
 
“Give me the jewel sssshardsss!!” the snake roared at them. “There isss no essscaping me!”
 
“InuYasha, it's after me!” Kagome shouted at her mate.
 
“Well, I KNOW that!” InuYasha countered.
 
“No, I mean, use me as bait to get it away from the others. Take me away from here and it will follow. Sesshomaru! Kouga! Make sure the others stay here out of the way!” Kagome ordered as she hopped on InuYasha's back. “We're going to lead this thing away from you!”
 
“Sango! Miroku! I have to use the Bakuryuuha! You know what that means!” InuYasha shouted before he took off with Kagome on his back.
 
InuYasha ran for the road. He wanted to try and get the thing out into the open. Even though the snake would be able to maneuver better as well, the hanyou wanted a clear shot at him. As they expected, the snake was coming after them, but with more speed than they had anticipated. InuYasha turned it up a notch and ran faster, leaping towards his destination in great strides. The hanyou hoped that the giant serpent would not notice that he had circled around so that both the village and the survivors were now behind him.
 
The last of the smaller snakes fell and Miroku swept up their remains. Sango rode Kirara's back while Kouga ran to sweep through the area to make certain that there were no more youkai.
 
“There are no others?” Sesshomaru asked the pair after they returned from their sweep of the immediate area.
 
“It looks like we got them all, well except for the big one,” Sango said, and then asked, “Are any of the men still alive that were here?”
 
“The snakes killed many of them, but some of the men fled in the opposite direction, so they are probably all right. What happened to the priest?” Miroku responded.
 
They thought they heard Sesshomaru actually growl as he nodded in the direction of a clump of boulders. “He is there.”
 
The men that had remained behind ventured out of their hiding place. “Is it safe now?”
 
“We need to stay here. InuYasha and Kagome have gone after the largest snake. They drew it away from us so that they can destroy it without catching us in the fallout,” Miroku said.
 
“Do they not need our assistance?” Sesshomaru asked.
 
“It would not hurt to get above the tree line so that we can make certain they are all right,” Sango said. “Come on, Miroku. Kouga, do you want to come with us?”
 
Realizing that they were planning on going straight up and that he did not have wings, Kouga said, “Yeah. We had better make certain that mutt face doesn't put Kagome in any danger.”
 
Miroku started to say something to Sesshomaru, but realized that he was already hovering above them, next to Rin on Ah-Un.
 
 
Some distance away, InuYasha and Kagome were faced off against the giant serpent. Now with more room to maneuver, it was taking swipes at them with the razor sharp claws and getting frustrated because InuYasha kept grabbing Kagome and leaping out of the way.
 
“InuYasha! Let's get further up the road where the trees are closer together. Maybe we can get it to stay in one place long enough to kill it that way!” Kagome suggested to her mate.
 
“Do you have any arrows left?” InuYasha asked Kagome as he ran.
 
“Yes, I still have a couple. You want to try and take it down together?” Kagome asked.
 
“I think that is the best way since it has three shards. I think it will take the Bakuryuuha and your purification arrow. Get ready as soon as I stop, okay!” InuYasha shouted back.
 
“All right!” Kagome agreed.
 
InuYasha took one more giant leap and spun in the air, landing with Tessaiga drawn in front of him. Kagome quickly nocked an arrow in her bow and waited. Tessaiga started to swirl with the power of demonic energy, waiting to be unleashed. InuYasha was concentrating on the enemy and did not notice that his father's fang had taken on a pink hue.
 
The snake was charging blindly down the road at them. It did not see the hanyou and little miko as much of a threat, for it was far larger than they were. If it took devouring the two to get the jewel shards the girl carried, then that is what it would do.
 
Finally, stopping in the middle of the road, the serpent shouted at them, “Sssso, you have decided to sssssurrender yourselvesss. Do you want me to eat you whole, or to sssshred you into little piecesss first?”
 
“We don't plan on being your next meal, you glutton!” Kagome yelled at the snake before she shouted, “NOW!” as she unleashed her arrow.
 
“BAKURYUUHA!!” InuYasha bellowed with her as he unleashed the deadly Backlash Wave. Following the path cut by the sacred arrow, and then engulfing it along with the powerful aura of the giant serpent, the snake was stunned as it was first cut to shreds before it was turned to dust. The three jewel shards that had been embedded in various parts of its body fell to the ground.
 
Kagome threw herself into InuYasha's arms after he had sheathed Tessaiga. “Are you all right?”
 
InuYasha wrapped his arms around her and squeezed her gently. “Yeah. How about you?”
 
“I'm fine, all things considered. We had better get the jewel shards, though, before they fall into anyone else's hands,” Kagome told him.
 
“Keh,” InuYasha responded as they started up the road to where the snake had been obliterated.
 
 
Sesshomaru and Kouga were both stunned as they watched the scene play out below them. Neither really knew that InuYasha was capable of such power. While both had personally witnessed the use of the Wind Scar, neither recalled seeing anything like this before.
 
Sesshomaru had always wondered how his younger sibling was able to defeat Ryuukotsusei, something even their powerful father had not been able to completely do. The Demon Lord had heard InuYasha shout out something about the method he used against the dragon while they were all fighting off the lesser serpents earlier. Now Sesshomaru finally understood, understood how his little brother had defeated Ryuukotsusei and left no trace that the youkai had ever existed. Suddenly, the Demon Lord was very glad that he had taken interest and helped his younger sibling and the miko when they had needed it. It would be much better to have them as allies than enemies.
 
The Taiyoukai was broken from his thoughts by the voice of the young girl on the back of the two-headed dragon next to him. “Lord Sesshomaru, does that mean that the trouble is past?”
 
“Yes, Rin. It does. Are you ready to return to the ground now?” Sesshomaru asked, though his eyes were still on the hanyou and miko walking up the road, probably to gather the shards that the snake had.
 
“Yes, My Lord. Rin is ready.”
 
While Sesshomaru was thinking that he was glad he had somewhat made amends with his brother, the wolf prince was suddenly thinking he was really glad that he was alive. There was no doubt about it, if InuYasha had really wanted to destroy him, he would have been able to do it. Kouga would just have to accept the fact that the mutt face and miko belonged together. He could not deny the way the two worked together in the face of any enemy.
 
 
“Hey, InuYasha?” Kagome questioned gently as she worked to retrieve the three jewel shards.
 
“Yeah?” the hanyou answered as his eyes continued to dart around, making sure that nothing else was coming for them.
 
“Did you notice anything different about Tessaiga when you were preparing to unleash the Bakuryuuha?”
 
“No, I had my eyes focused on that stupid, oversized excuse for a snake. Did I miss something?” InuYasha retorted.
 
“Don't be snippy. It's just…well…Tessaiga was glowing pink,” Kagome stated.
 
“I'm sorry. I was too occupied to notice anything odd about Tessaiga. I did think the Bakuryuuha was different, though I thought it was because you seem to have more power and that your arrow added to it had changed it.”
 
“There it is.” Kagome reached down to the ground before she replied, “I'm just glad this is over with.”
 
Kagome purified the last shard before adding it to the others. “That's all three of them.”
 
“Could you tell if that thing got them from Naraku?” InuYasha asked his mate quietly.
 
“Yeah. They were tainted in a way that only Naraku could have done. Do you think he is anywhere in the area?” Kagome replied seriously.
 
“Naraku probably gave that youkai the three shards along with the best ways to cause havoc and draw us here. He has most likely moved on by now,” InuYasha responded.
 
“You're probably right. He just likes to create trouble, and watch from the sidelines,” Kagome said. “Are you ready to go back and check on the others?”
 
“Yeah.”
 
InuYasha leaned down so that Kagome could climb on his back. She had her arms wrapped around him with her face nuzzled into his shoulder as they returned to where they had left the rest of their group.
 
 
Kouga, Sango, Miroku and Sesshomaru returned to find the priest giving directions to the remaining men. They were gathering up the bodies of the men that had been slaughtered by the serpents so that they could be given a proper burial.
 
One of the men that lived in the village stepped forward. “We wish to thank you for your help. Though many have perished, at least the youkai that have been the cause of our problems have been destroyed.”
 
Miroku replied, staring at the priest as he spoke, “We were only glad to help, but we hope that you have learned a lesson from this. While the youkai that was attacking your village was indeed evil, not every youkai or hanyou is.”
 
About that time InuYasha and Kagome returned to join with the others. InuYasha set Kagome on her feet, but when she started to slump, he just picked her up in front of him instead and said, “Oi, Wench, you're tired.”
 
“Well, it has been a busy afternoon,” Kagome replied with a slight smile before she called to the others, “Is everyone okay here?”
 
The same man that spoke before responded, “Yes, Miko, thanks to your help. We wish to thank you and those who came with you. The casualties would have been far worse if you had not arrived when you did.”
 
None of them missed the glare that was cast in the priest's direction as he said that.
 
“Is there any way that we can repay you?” the man continued.
 
Miroku stepped forward. “Well, it will be dark soon. Could you possibly provide us with a roof over our heads and perhaps a simple meal for the night?”
 
“We have plenty since so many have fled the village. We will leave the priest to take care of the dead if you will follow me,” he replied.
 
“Hey, Kouga!” Ginta and Hakkaku yelled as they arrived on the scene. “We didn't find anything, what did we miss?”
 
Kouga looked at his faithful followers. “Come on, I'll tell you. See ya, Kagome!”
 
“Bye, Sister!” the other two called as they followed after him.
 
The three ookami youkai took off into the woods to make their own camp. Kouga would tell them everything that had happened. Well, except for the part where the wolf prince had sent the pair off on a wild goose chase so that they would not get hurt.
 
“Sister! See I told…” the priest was cut off by the glares of the men that remained around him.
 
The men then looked at Kagome, still cradled in InuYasha's arms so she told them, “I saved them and a bunch of their pack members one time, and they've called me `Sister' ever since.”
 
Kagome did not feel the need to go into how the wolf prince had claimed her to be his woman, thereby the others considering her a pack member and therefore a sister.
 
“Come, we will find for you a place to stay the night and some food,” the man from the village said.
 
Miroku told them, “I will stay behind and help say the prayers for the dead. We can use those boulders for a funeral pyre and go ahead and take care of them tonight. I will find you when we are finished.”
 
“All right, monk. What about you, Sesshomaru?” InuYasha responded.
 
“This Sesshomaru will come with you. Rin could use a roof over her head and a good hot meal if it is available.”
 
The Demon Lord did not add that Jaken looked like he could use a good rest as well. The little toad had actually fought bravely against the snakes, but it would hurt the imp's pride to say out loud that Jaken looked worn out.
 
“Where's my back pack?” Kagome asked before they left.
 
“I have it, Kagome,” Sango replied from Kirara's back. “I will bring it for you.”
 
“Thanks, Sango,” Kagome responded as InuYasha shifted her in his arms.
 
“Oi, well, I guess we're ready then,” InuYasha told the man that was going to lead them to the village.
 
The man and some of the others that were injured headed in the direction of their homes with the oddball bunch trailing behind them.
 
 
They had not walked very far when Sesshomaru felt Tenseiga pulse at his side. `Tenseiga, you wish to be drawn?' he thought.
 
The fang pulsed again.
 
Sesshomaru vanished and went back to the scene that they had just left. Miroku was having all of the dead men lined up so that he could bless them one by one and make sure that he did not miss anyone. He did not care for the priest's idea of saying one prayer for all of the dead men together.
 
Miroku was startled when the Demon Lord suddenly appeared at his side.
 
“What is it, Lord Sesshomaru?”
 
“Have you said the prayers to release any of these men's souls yet?” Sesshomaru asked him.
 
“Not yet. I was having them lined up to ensure that I did not miss any of them.” Miroku swept his hand along the line of fallen men. The few men that had stayed behind to help were dragging the last of them into place.
 
Sesshomaru waited for them to complete what they were doing, and then said, “Stand aside.”
 
Sesshomaru drew Tenseiga, and it pulsed again in his hand.
 
The priest that had caused so much trouble jumped in front of him. “What do you intend to do to defile the bodies of these men, Demon!?”
 
Tenseiga pulsed again, almost in annoyance, as the Demon Lord commanded, “This Sesshomaru said to MOVE ASIDE.”
 
The others grabbed the priest and pulled him out of the way. They did not know what the demon could further do to the men - they were all dead, after all.
 
Sesshomaru held the fang before him and saw the messengers from the underworld that had come to collect all of the souls. With one broad movement, he swept all of the ghouls away from the bodies of the men.
 
Even Miroku was stunned when he realized that Lord Sesshomaru had just returned to life all of the men that had been dead. They were each starting to move and were trying to sit up. They looked at one another, all lined up in a row, and then at the men and the Demon Lord standing before them. One of them finally asked, “What happened?”
 
Miroku just looked at Sesshomaru, and then at the men and muttered, “I do not know.”
 
“You were dead. Tenseiga wanted you to be revived, probably because you did not deserve death due to someone else's stupidity. Return to your homes so that your families can return to you.” With that, Sesshomaru disappeared again and then reappeared next to InuYasha as they walked towards the village.
 
“Where'd you disappear to?” InuYasha asked.
 
“This Sesshomaru had an errand to perform,” the Taiyoukai replied.
 
“Have anything to do with the dead men?” InuYasha inquired.
 
“Hn.”
 
 
InuYasha was just about the only one not stunned when all of the men returned, including those that had been killed by the serpents in their attack. One of the younger men that had not been hurt had run to the village ahead of them, announcing that they had all been revived and were coming home.
 
Actually, Kagome was not all that surprised. She was still in InuYasha's arms as he carried her to the village. Even though she was already feeling stronger, she was content to stay in her lover's arms as they trekked towards their lodging for the night. From her position, she overheard the extremely brief conversation between her mate and his brother. Because of that, she was not all that shocked when it was announced that all of the men were returning home.
 
However, before they got too comfortable for the night, Kagome had something else she felt she should attend to. They had reached the village when she asked the man who was leading them, “Did you say that your village headman had fallen ill?”
 
InuYasha set his mate on her feet as their guide turned around. “Yes. He has been ill but we have no one to tend to him. Do you think that you would be able to help?”
 
“I would like to try. Sango, could I have my bag, please?” Kagome responded.
 
Sango hopped off of Kirara's back, and handed the oversized backpack to Kagome. Kagome took it and said, “Would you take me to him?”
 
“Just one moment,” their guide responded and called, “Yuujin, will you take the miko to the village headman? She is going to see if she can help him while I find lodging for them overnight.”
 
One of the youngest boys that had accompanied the group ran forward. “Yes, Kouketsu, it will be done. Please, come with me.”
 
Kagome gave InuYasha a look that he knew meant she wanted him to tag along. Taking the backpack from her, they followed after the boy.
 
“I hope you can help my grandfather. He fell ill while everything was happening. I think he tried to do too much,” Yuujin told them.
 
Kagome and InuYasha followed the boy into the home of the village headman. InuYasha immediately wrinkled his nose.
 
“What is it, InuYasha?” Kagome couldn't miss the look that crossed the hanyou's face.
 
“He has an infection of some sort. I can smell it from here,” InuYasha responded quietly.
 
They entered the room where the man was laid out on a futon, and even Kagome could smell the odor that permeated the air.
 
“Come on, InuYasha. I'm going to need some help to find the source,” Kagome said as she started digging through her backpack, pulling out bottles and bandages.
 
They quickly found the cause of the man's infection. He had a sore on his leg that had gotten out of hand because it had not been treated properly. He also had bedsores from not having been moved enough.
 
Kagome was grateful the man was basically unconscious as she cleansed and treated the wounds. She was sure that what she was doing would have been painful if he could actually feel it. After clearing away any dirt as well as dead skin and flesh, she pulled out a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and poured it freely over the wounds. Kagome then pulled out some herbs to make a poultice that Kaede had showed her which would help pull the infection out of the affected areas. Wiping her brow, Kagome finally sat down, exhausted but satisfied she had done all that she could for right now.
 
The boy had stayed out of the way, only stepping in when Kagome asked him to do something specific. He watched as she carefully treated each of the old man's sores, and then packed them with the poultice that she had made. He had not said a word the entire time, not wanting to interrupt her concentration. Finally, when Kagome sat back, Yuujin asked, “So is he going to get better?”
 
“I think so. He had a sore that had become infected, but I think I've been able to get it pretty clean. I've made a poultice that I want you to use and change at least every morning and night for the next few days. If it starts to dry out, you can add some water to it. If it gets a little runny, that's all right. Also, he has bedsores from lying in one position too long. Make sure that you roll him on one side or the other whenever you change his poultice. That will help the sores on his back heal and help keep new ones from starting. All right?” Kagome answered, and then asked, “Do you have someone who can help you take care of him?”
 
“I'm sure that I can get others in the village to help me until my mother and grandmother return,” Yuujin told her.
 
“Where are they?” Kagome asked.
 
“They were sent with the other women and children to the next village to stay until the youkai that were attacking us were taken care of. We just need to send someone to let them know it is safe to return,” Yuujin answered.
 
“Oi, I think we will be going through there when we head home. We will let them know it is safe to come home,” InuYasha said.
 
InuYasha looked at his mate and could tell she was fading fast. “I think Kagome is tired and needs to rest. Can you take us to where the others are now?”
 
“Yes, just let me run and get someone to stay with Grandfather until I get back,” the boy told him before he dashed out of the room.
 
While the boy was out, InuYasha pulled his mate to him and gently kissed her. “You are trying to do too much, wench. You need to rest.”
 
Kagome rested her forehead against her mate's and responded, “I know, but I needed to see if there was something I could do. I'm glad it wasn't any worse or it might have already affected his blood stream. This village will need their leader in order to return somewhat to normal.”
 
InuYasha kissed her again. “I know, just don't overdo it, alright? I don't want you to get sick.”
 
Kagome hugged her hanyou as he held her in his arms, “All right, and thanks for helping me. It wasn't nearly as hard as it would have been otherwise.”
 
InuYasha nodded and turned her loose. Kagome realized why when the boy showed up, followed by one of the other men from the village.
 
“If you don't mind, I am going to remain with my grandfather. Ryou here will take you to your friends,” Yuujin told them.
 
The pair nodded and stood. InuYasha picked up the backpack and slung it over his shoulder before he asked, “Are you okay, or do you want me to carry you?”
 
When Kagome swooned on her feet InuYasha took that as his answer and scooped her up in front of him. “All right, lead the way.”
 
 
It turned out that normally the village was a fair sized trading village and had a nice inn. It was almost completely unoccupied, which the inn's owner said was just as well since all of his help had fled to the next village. However, he provided rooms for each of them, and some of the other habitants that had remained in the village were helping the innkeeper to prepare a hot meal for them all.
 
InuYasha, with Kagome still in his arms, was now following the innkeeper to their room as they were told, “I hope that you do not mind. Your other companions said that the four of you have traveled together so much that you are used to sharing one large room when necessary. I also understand that you protect the miko and must remain near her to tend to your duties. I hope this will be satisfactory.”
 
The innkeeper had led them into a room that was actually two rooms connected by a sliding door, one room in front of the other so that you had to pass through it to reach the second.
 
InuYasha set Kagome back on her feet and she responded, “Thank you very much. This will be quite satisfactory for our purposes. InuYasha does protect me, and I do not feel safe if he is not nearby.”
 
The innkeeper nodded and said, “We will have a dinner prepared for you before too long. The men are working to get it ready right now. However, it will take some time since they just got started. The demon slayer said that you might like a bath before you eat.”
 
“A bath?” Kagome practically squealed.
 
“We have a bathhouse fed by a hot spring. I believe the monk and demon slayer are already there. He is on the men's side; she is on the women's.”
 
“Let me get my supplies,” Kagome said with a new burst of energy. “Come on, InuYasha. You need a bath as well after traveling and then battling giant snakes.”
 
“Keh.”
 
They were led to the bathhouse and pointed in the direction of the room they were to use. Kagome entered the women's side to find not just Sango, but Rin as well.
 
“So how are you two doing?” Kagome asked them as she dropped her clothing to step into the warm water.
 
“Rin is well! Lord Sesshomaru was pleased to find that they had a place to take a bath. He is on the other side,” the little girl replied.
 
Sango just grinned and shook her head.
 
InuYasha entered the other side and almost laughed out loud. Even though they had no reason to fear his brother now, Miroku looked like he was petrified. Sesshomaru was just sitting in the bath with his hair floating on the water around him. He had his eyes closed and almost seemed to enjoy the fear he was instilling in the monk.
 
“Oi, Miroku! What's with you?” InuYasha asked with a grin.
 
“No…nothing. I just do not want to do anything to upset your brother,” Miroku responded.
 
“Monk. You have done nothing wrong. This Sesshomaru does not put you in the same class as that itinerant priest,” Sesshomaru stated, finally opening his eyes to look at the monk.
 
Miroku visibly relaxed and settled into the water.
 
It seemed too soon when the innkeeper came to let them know that their dinner was almost ready so that they could get out and get dressed. Sango yelled back to let him know that they had heard him as well. There did not seem to be any women in the village, and Sango didn't want some poor soul's head removed if he tried to come in while Kagome was still naked.
 
They all climbed out, dried off and dressed. Feeling remarkably better, once they returned to their rooms to leave any items that they did not need to take with them, they were led to the large room that served as something of a dining hall. Only Lord Sesshomaru did not look like he was astonished at the amount of food laid out for the group.
 
The men that were cooking their dinner for them had redoubled their efforts when they discovered that their guests included the Demon Lord who had revived all of those that had died that day, the hanyou that had slain the giant serpent, the monk and demon slayer that had helped dispose of the numerous smaller snakes, and the miko that had not only helped kill the snakes, but had now tended to their village headman as well. It looked like they would be having quite a feast that evening.
 
The priest was not invited.
 
To be continued…