InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Live and Let Die (Part 2): Awakenings ❯ Resolutions ( Chapter 13 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I still do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi. However, any original characters do belong to me.
 
AN: Thanks to those of you who take the time to leave a review. The more I get, the faster I tend to write.
 
 
Live and Let Die: Awakenings
 
 
Chapter 13: Resolutions (Warning: Lemon)
 
 
Kagome spread out her blanket and sat down with her books in the shade to study. She was surprised when InuYasha picked up her literature book and started to flip through it.
 
“InuYasha, I did not know you could really read,” the miko commented softly.
 
“Keh. My mother taught me. The language has changed some, but Souta helped me when he would get home from school before you when I was waiting to bring you back. It helped pass the time.”
 
“Can you write?” Kagome asked him.
 
“Yeah, but in the script of this era. I can read yours, but I haven't learned to write it yet,” the hanyou answered.
 
“Would you like to learn?”
 
“If we spend enough time in your era for me to,” InuYasha responded.
 
“InuYasha?”
 
“Yeah?”
 
“How come you never let us know?”
 
“Most people thought of me as a beast, a dumb animal. They didn't pay much attention to what they said around me if they thought I was stupid. If they knew I could read and write, I would've been even more dangerous to them,” InuYasha replied, staring down at the book in front of him. “My mother taught me, but never let anyone know what she was doing. I continued to hide it because she did.”
 
“I'm sorry, InuYasha.”
 
“Keh?”
 
“I'm sorry that you had such a rough life. I hope it's at least a little better now,” Kagome told him.
 
“It is,” he said simply.
 
Kagome gave him a smile and pulled out her math book. She might as well start with her worst subject and get it over with.
 
InuYasha had found Ogura Hyakunin Isshu (100 Poems by 100 Poets) in Kagome's literature book. He was reading through them, thinking half of them made no sense until he came to #43, by Fujiwara no Atsutada:
 
I have met my love.
When I compare this present
With feelings of the past,
My passion is now as if
I have never loved before
 
 
And then #51 by Fujiwara no Sanekata:
 
How can I tell her
How fierce my love for her is?
Will she understand
That the love I feel for her
Burns like Ibuki's fire plant?
 
 
Kagome heard InuYasha sigh and looked over to see what he was reading. “Some of those are really sad, aren't they?” she commented quietly.
 
InuYasha ran his thumb across the page of the poem he was looking at. “It's just that a couple of these could have been written for me,” he said softly.
 
“May I see?” Kagome asked him.
 
She smiled when he showed her the two poems he was referring to. “Thank you, InuYasha,” she whispered so that even he could barely hear her.
 
Kagome flipped back a few pages to #14, by Minamoto no Toru. “This used to be my favorite,” she told him.
 
Like Michinoku prints
Of the tangled leaves of ferns,
It is because of you
That I have become confused;
But my love for you remains.
 
 
“You…you were confused?” InuYasha asked hesitantly.
 
“I'm not sure if I liked it because I was confused about our relationship or because I thought you were confused about your feelings. You would do something that made me think you wanted me, but then you'd run to Kikyou every time she came around. You knew it hurt me, and you went anyway. I thought I would die inside that time you chose her over me, but I still couldn't stay away from you. I realized that I loved you and would do almost anything for you. If that meant standing aside for you to go with Kikyou, I would do it even though it broke my heart. The thought of you going to Hell with her was my worst nightmare. More than anything, I wanted you to live.”
 
“I…I'm sorry, Kagome. I wanted to be with you, but I felt…I felt I owed her something for dying…I thought she died because of me. I promised to protect her, to avenge her death. I…I was confused. I didn't know what I should do. Not just that, I was afraid that you would reject me. I know you said you loved me when you saved me from Kaguya, but still…I…I thought you only did it at the time to pull my soul back out of the mirror; that you didn't want me to become the blood-thirsty demon that I would have. I never dared to believe that you really loved me as I am. And even if you did, I was afraid of what others would do or say if we were together. I could still remember the horrible names they called my mother. I didn't want that to happen to you. I never wanted you to be hurt because of me,” the hanyou said softly, and then asked, “But that one is not your favorite any more?”
 
Kagome smiled. “No, I like this one better now. I think it describes us,” she said as she flipped to #77 by Emperor Sutoku:
 
Though a swift stream is
Divided by a boulder
In its headlong flow,
Though divided, on it rushes,
And at last unites again.
 
 
InuYasha did look confused this time, so Kagome explained, “You and I, we're like the stream. We were divided, first by Kikyou, and then physically by the priest when he sealed you in that cave. However, thanks to your brother, we are together again and united in every way, and now we'll stay together as one. Understand?”
 
“Keh.”
 
“InuYasha?”
 
“Yeah?”
 
“I love you,” Kagome whispered.
 
InuYasha looked through his bangs at her and smiled. “Keh.”
 
Kagome smiled at him and went back to her math book. When she had worked through the problems that she wanted to, she pulled out her calendar that she kept tucked in one of her books. She started marking off the days and almost choked. “InuYasha!”
 
InuYasha was jolted out of his thoughts. “What is it Kagome?” He could hear the frantic tone of her voice.
 
“When we leave, we have to go home. I have a test next week! I'll only have a few days to prepare if we go straight back when we head out tomorrow. We have been gone longer than I thought we would this trip. And what will we tell Sesshomaru? He was going to come back with us, but I don't want to have him travel with us and then make him wait. But I can't miss it; it's the first test this semester!” Kagome exclaimed.
 
“Shhh, calm down. We'll go straight home from here. We can probably cut a day or so off if we cut straight across instead of going back the way we came. We can just ask my brother to wait a few days to come unless he wants to hang around the village, which I doubt. He may have some other things he needs to take care of before then, anyway. We'll talk to him about it before the feast tonight, all right?” InuYasha said, wanting to reach over and stroke his mate to calm her, but not daring to out here in the open. “Now, take a deep breath.”
 
Kagome sighed. “You're right. I'm sure he will understand. I can't miss my first test or they might decide letting me home school was not a good idea. Thanks, InuYasha.”
 
 
 
 
Sango had decided the best way to keep Miroku from womanizing was to distract him.
 
“I do not know about you, Houshi, but I am going for a walk. Come on, Kirara,” the demon slayer said as she headed outside.
 
“Do you mind if I join you, Sango?” the monk asked.
 
“Do you think you can keep from flirting with every girl we run into?” Sango retorted.
 
Miroku reached over to take her hand. “If you let me occupy my hand in other ways,” he commented slyly.
 
Sango looked at him. “Just do not get any ideas, Houshi.”
 
They spotted Kagome and InuYasha, each with a book in their hands, sitting in the shade. Deciding not to intrude, the pair continued on their way.
 
“Did you see that, Houshi?” Sango asked.
 
“See what, my dear Sango?” Miroku responded.
 
“InuYasha with one of Kagome's books; what would he be doing with it? Looking at the pictures? I thought he considered her studies useless,” the demon slayer commented.
 
“Perhaps he can read. There is a great deal about InuYasha that we do not know,” Miroku answered.
 
“Read? InuYasha?”
 
“I know he has always been rather crude, but remember, Myouga told us that his mother was a Hime. She would have been able to read and write and probably taught InuYasha before she died,” the monk contemplated.
 
“I wonder where that flea is. Maybe he could tell us what is going on, if he ever shows up,” Sango commented.
 
“Like what?”
 
“Like what really happened during the full moon. Why Kagome will not admit that InuYasha hurt her. I know he did, I just know it! Did you not say that he was concerned he had hurt her?” Sango sounded aggravated.
 
Miroku turned loose of her hand and stopped to face her. “Sango, stop it. I do not for a minute believe that InuYasha would ever hurt Kagome. Not before, and especially not now. You saw how easily he was crushed by the words of Jaken, and that was only about going home with Lord Sesshomaru. Don't you dare go and accuse him of doing something that I am certain he did not do, even if he is worried that he did. It may be hard for him to admit, but he loves Kagome and has for a long time. For once, take Kagome's word for it. She told you that he did not hurt her. Just leave it alone.”
 
Sango was a bit stunned and had not interrupted, so Miroku continued, “Remember what happened when we assumed he had run off with Kikyou and instead he was sealed in a cave and nearly died? We must stop jumping to conclusions when comes to InuYasha. We really do not understand him; he is almost as complicated as his brother. He has had a hard life where everyone has always assumed the worst about him. If we are to consider him as our friend, and I do, I refuse to do that to him any more. He actually admitted to me that he has been hated his entire life. Humans hated him for being half demon, and demons hated him for being half human. He was driven away from the village where he lived with his mother after she died, even though he was just a child. Kagome is the first person who ever actually accepted him as he is. Believe me, he would never hurt her.”
 
“What about Kikyou? How do we know for sure that he will not go chasing after her again? It would truly crush Kagome now if he did that. He really does not consider her feelings,” Sango argued.
 
Miroku sighed. “I asked him exactly that. He really was confused before. He thought he owed Kikyou because she had died. He blamed himself for it, when it was really Naraku's fault. However, whatever confusion he had was apparently swept away that day the priest sealed him, and Kikyou came by. InuYasha said that when she went on her way and left him like that, all of his doubts were gone. All he wanted was for Kagome to find him. He said he swore to protect her, and that he will never leave her again. Sango, I believe him. I hope that you will too, and not accuse him of something that you have no proof of and something that Kagome says did not happen. If you truly consider either of them as your friend, then you need to let it go. We need to face the fact that our meddling has probably done as much damage as anything else that has happened to them.”
 
Sango admitted defeat. “You are probably right. I am so used to seeing Kagome's heart crushed by InuYasha, that it is hard for me to admit she is happy. I keep expecting him to hurt her again. Even when she confessed how sore she was, she still sounded happy about it. I guess it is difficult for me to get used to. I am probably just jealous.”
 
“Jealous? Of what?” Miroku asked.
 
“That InuYasha made up his mind and chose her. He does not run around flirting with other women,” the demon slayer commented dryly.
 
“Oh.”
 
 
 
 
The thunder of hooves coming up the road attracted everyone's attention. Kagome put her books away as InuYasha stood to see what was headed their way. The horses were coming from a different direction than the road from the stable.
 
There were several men on horseback, and with them were four stallions, all rearing, neighing, snorting and stamping their hooves at being confined by their leads and halters.
 
The man that appeared to be their leader called out, “Lord Sesshomaru, we did not expect to find you here,” as they approached InuYasha.
 
When they got a little closer, he said, “I am sorry, I saw you from the distance and thought you were Lord Sesshomaru. We have come on business with the headman of this village. Do you know where we can find him?”
 
“Keh. Sesshomaru is my half-brother, and he is here somewhere. But Ougon is the headman of the village. We can send someone to get him for you,” InuYasha replied.
 
“No need, InuYasha. I am here. Yuujin saw the men with horses approach and came to fetch me. Are you men from the village that Lord Sesshomaru told us about? You have heard that the soldiers took all of our stallions as war horses?”
 
“Aye. My name is Daiku. We have brought four studs that we hope you will consider worthy.” Daiku motioned for the men holding the four stallions to move forward.
 
The horses were breath taking, but one stood out above them all. Though his face was gray with age, he was proud, and he was powerful. As much as the other horses were stomping and snorting at each other, it was apparent they were all staying clear of the older stud.
 
“They brought Yuushou,” Sesshomaru stated.
 
The others jumped. “Where did you come from?” InuYasha asked.
 
“This Sesshomaru noticed that the men had arrived, and came to see what they brought with them,” the Taiyoukai stated.
 
Kagome said, “That older stallion, he is important to them, isn't he?”
 
“Yes, Miko. That stud is the backbone of their line. Every horse they have traces back to him,” Sesshomaru commented.
 
Daiku had dismounted to approach Lord Sesshomaru, and bowed before he addressed him. “My Lord, I did not realize that you were familiar with our bloodlines. You recognized Yuushou.”
 
“Yes. This Sesshomaru is surprised that you brought him here.”
 
“He looks old,” someone in the gathering crowd commented.
 
Daiku turned to face Ougon. “I know he is older than the others, but he is the best we have ever had. He is the foundation of our entire line. We also thought that if the soldiers came through again, they probably would not want a stallion his age, and would not take him from you. He still produces fine colts. These other three are his sons. They are all proven studs.”
 
Ougon moved forward to examine the horses, and motioned for the head handler to join him. “This is a fine group of stallions. I hope that you will find our mares worthy. Let us go to the stable and have them and your other horses taken care of, and then we will make arrangements for you to stay at our inn. We also hope that you will join us in the feast tonight honoring Lord Sesshomaru and his brother, InuYasha, as well as the rest of the group that travels with them. They saved our village from youkai, and we are having a celebration this evening before they leave us tomorrow.”
 
Daiku bowed to Lord Sesshomaru and to Ougon. “It would be our pleasure to join you after the horses are taken care of. I am certain my men will appreciate a roof over their heads as well as a hot meal and bath after traveling,” he said before addressing the Taiyoukai, “Lord Sesshomaru, might I have a word with you in private?”
 
“That is acceptable,” the Demon Lord responded.
 
Daiku turned towards his men. “Take the horses and go with them to the stable. We will wait until tomorrow after everyone has rested to look at the mares.”
 
The men all nodded, and followed the horse master towards the stable.
 
“Lord Sesshomaru, I wanted you to know we had trouble on the road. We lost one of our stallions and other horses as well as two of our men to attacking youkai,” Daiku told him.
 
“Hn. Tell me where and what manner of youkai,” Lord Sesshomaru commanded.
 
 
 
 
Kagome was headed back to their room to put away her books. InuYasha was following behind her, hands folded into his sleeves. She put her books away but rolled up the blanket, intending to take it with her.
 
“InuYasha?”
 
“Yeah?”
 
“Let's have a picnic,” the miko stated.
 
“With Miroku and Sango?” InuYasha clarified.
 
“No, just us. We'll be on the road again tomorrow, so this is our last day to have any amount of privacy. I want to spend the rest of the day out by the hot spring. Let's get some lunch to take with us. All right?” Kagome suggested.
 
“But Kagome, I thought...” InuYasha could not finish his question.
 
In the privacy of their room, Kagome took her mate's hands in her own. Tracing his fingers and claws she said, “InuYasha, I told you that you didn't hurt me. I was just sore, that's all. I'm fine now, but more than that, I want to spend some quality time alone with you before we start traveling again.”
 
Kagome had wrapped her arms around the hanyou to hold him. She felt the tension leave InuYasha's body as he returned the gesture, holding her tightly and nuzzling the side of her face with his own.
 
“Are you sure?” he asked.
 
“Yes, InuYasha. Even if you do nothing more than hold me, I want to spend the afternoon with you,” the miko said softly.
 
“All right,” the hanyou murmured into her ear, sending chills down her spine.
 
InuYasha dutifully followed his mate towards the dining area. They waited for one of the girls to come and ask what they wanted, and Kagome asked her for some items they could carry outside to eat.
 
While they were waiting, Sango and Miroku wandered in, wondering what was for lunch.
 
“Kagome! Did you finish studying?” the demon slayer asked.
 
“I did as much as I could for one sitting,” the miko responded.
 
“So are you and InuYasha going to have lunch now?” Miroku asked.
 
“I asked them to fix some food that we can carry outside to eat. It's such a nice day we thought we would have a picnic,” Kagome replied.
 
“Oh, good! We will come with you,” Sango stated.
 
“No, Sango,” Kagome said very quietly.
 
“Wha...what?” Sango asked, sounding hurt.
 
“We will be together for the next few days on the road,” Kagome answered, still very softly.
 
“I...I do not understand,” Sango said.
 
Miroku interjected, “I think she is trying to say that this might be our last time to spend some time together, alone, my dear Sango. Once we start traveling again, we will not have any privacy.”
 
“Uh-huh,” Kagome agreed. “You and Miroku should have your own picnic together, alone, away from us. We will be together enough the next few days.”
 
“Oh!” Sango finally exclaimed when she understood.
 
“But Kagome, are you not still-“
 
Kagome cut her off, “NO. Leave it alone, Sango. It is not something you can understand.”
 
“But-”
 
“Sango,” Miroku interrupted, “Do you not want to have lunch and spend the afternoon with me?”
 
“Sango, please, just go with Miroku. I have InuYasha to protect me,” Kagome stated, not willing to say what she really wanted to out loud, since they were in the public dining area. The miko was also unhappy that, once again, Sango was meddling and would not leave well enough alone.
 
Miroku leaned over and whispered something in her ear. Sango flushed red, but did not say anything else.
 
The girl had come back with food for Kagome, which the miko thanked her for and then headed outdoors, InuYasha close behind her. They strolled along until they were out of sight of the huts on this side of the village, and then InuYasha leaned over so Kagome could hop on his back. He took off at a run towards the hot spring in the forest.
 
 
“Sango, why could you not let it go? Why do you want to embarrass them like that in front of others? Did you think Kagome would back down in such a public place?” Miroku was asking the demon slayer.
 
“Like you have never done anything to embarrass or upset InuYasha!” Sango retorted.
 
The monk sighed. “Yes, and I am starting to regret it. Now, when something happens and I am truly concerned about him, InuYasha does not trust me enough to tell me what it is. What was done for my own amusement suddenly is not so funny any more. Even though you told me more than you should have of what Kagome revealed to you, I have managed to keep my tongue in check. Perhaps you should start to do the same. You do not want to create a rift between yourself and Kagome. If you truly value her as your friend and consider her a sister as you say you do, then you need to trust her. Just because she loves does not make her blind.”
 
Miroku and Sango had also taken a package of food and gone outside, but found themselves under the same tree that Kagome had been studying under earlier. Kirara had followed them out and was curled up, snoozing nearby in the sun.
 
“Oh, Houshi, what have I done?” Sango asked as the realization of what she had tried to do hit her. “Why can I not let it go? Why do I keep thinking InuYasha will hurt her again?”
 
“We have watched him run to Kikyou so many times and break Kagome's heart. But Sango, InuYasha was so confused. I am not certain he really understood how Kagome felt about him, even though we tried to tell him. The way that priest acted was what he was used to, not someone even accepting him for what he was, much less loving him. We have to trust that he will do the right thing by her now. You also must trust Kagome. We know she hid her pain, or tried to, from us in the past. However, I do not think that is the case any more. And even if one of them does do something to hurt the other, we must encourage them to work it out, and not interfere. Be there to listen, but not to judge. We have both been guilty of that far too many times in the past. I am afraid that you and I have almost as many bad habits as Shippou to break,” Miroku offered.
 
SLAP!! Miroku's hand had wandered back down to Sango's rear while he was speaking. He was going to have to learn that the demon slayer still did not find that type of attention appropriate in public.
 
“Speak for yourself, Houshi!” she seethed.
 
Miroku just rubbed the side of his face and grinned. “I am so misunderstood.”
 
 
 
InuYasha slowed down as they approached the clearing, wanting to make certain that they were really alone, and not interrupting someone else. He knew the innkeeper and his wife would not be out here because they were taking care of the horsemen that arrived from the other village, but he was not sure about any of the other townspeople. However, as they approached, he determined they were indeed alone.
 
Kagome reached up to kiss her mate on the cheek before she went and unfurled the blanket, spreading it out on the ground. Setting the food out before her, she asked, “Aren't you hungry, InuYasha? We had breakfast early this morning, and it is already past our usual lunch time.”
 
“Keh,” the hanyou replied as he sat down alongside his mate.
 
They ate in comfortable silence, each content to be in the other's presence. However, one little thing was nagging at the miko. “InuYasha?”
 
“Hum?”
 
“What did Miroku say to Sango? Could you hear him?” Kagome asked.
 
“Believe it or not, the monk said, `Stop it, Sango. You are embarrassing her',” InuYasha responded. He did not add that Miroku had also mentioned that Kagome was the head bitch, and the demon slayer was questioning her authority.
 
Kagome giggled, “Miroku actually said that? After everything that he has done?”
 
“Keh.”
 
Kagome had put everything away and snuggled up into InuYasha's side, resting her head on his shoulder. “InuYasha? Are you still upset about what Jaken said?”
 
InuYasha closed his eyes and breathed in the calming scent that was Kagome before he replied, “I had allowed myself to relax too much in this village. They actually seem to accept me, and I enjoyed not being feared or hated. Jaken just reminded me that all I am is a hanyou and how most others see me. He reminded me that my youkai half hurt you the night of the full moon.”
 
Kagome wrapped her arms around him. “InuYasha, you did not hurt me. If we had made love that many times with you as a hanyou, or even a human, I would have been sore. I did not have one single scratch on me, in spite of the fact that your claws and fangs were longer. All that happened was that some muscles that had not been stretched that far before were. At the time I was enjoying it so much that it did not matter. Believe me, the little bit of discomfort I felt was nothing compared to the pleasure that you brought me.
 
“InuYasha, I will tell you as often as you need to hear it, I love you as a hanyou. I love all of you, for it is your two sides that make you so unique. And I absolutely adore these ears,” Kagome continued as she reached up to gently rub one.
 
InuYasha leaned into Kagome's hand, as she tenderly rubbed the furry appendage. She pushed against his shoulder with her other hand until he was lying flat out on his back on the ground. The miko continued her relentless rubbing as she lay on top of him, taking his other ear in her other hand and started to stroke it from the base upwards with her thumb. She smiled when she noticed that InuYasha had closed his eyes, and his chest was starting to rumble, vibrating against her body.
 
Kagome could feel something hard start to press into her thigh. Still rubbing one ear, she rolled off of him and reached down with her other hand and started to untie his hakama, and slipped her hand underneath. She then worked her fingers up under the fundoshi until she had them wrapped around the hard flesh it concealed.
 
Not satisfied with the contact she had like this, Kagome reluctantly turned loose of the ear with her other hand and started tugging the hakama down far enough to reveal the fundoshi, and then found one end and started to unwrap it, all the while continuing her attentions to her mate. Once free, his erection sprang up like a jack-in-the-box, ready to play. Kagome just grinned before she pulled the tip into her mouth, swirling her tongue around and around. She heard the hanyou gasp in pleasure as she started to suck him in, little by little.
 
InuYasha had laid back at her gentle push, not certain what his mate was up to, but immensely enjoying the attention his ears were receiving. He could not help but to grow hard as she lay on top of him, but refused to give in to his lust, still thinking she probably needed a rest after the other night. He was somewhat surprised when he felt her tugging at his hakama and then the fundoshi, but he still refused to follow his instinct to shred her clothes from her body and take her. She would not really want to be with him again so soon after the full moon, would she? He gasped as he felt her warm mouth start to tease his head.
 
Kagome smiled to herself as she noticed that InuYasha was digging into the soft grass with his claws. Wrapping both hands around him and pulling as much into her mouth as she could, she started to bob up and down, only to release him and then run her tongue up and down his shaft while one hand dropped to fondle his sac.
 
“Oh, `gome…”she heard as she continued to tease him.
 
When Kagome thought he couldn't take much more, she untied the belt of the yukata she had worn and shed it from her shoulders. After also wiggling her way out of her panties, InuYasha was surprised to open his eyes and find Kagome lowering herself down onto him. Once he was fully sheathed within her, she rotated her pelvis, grinding against his.
 
“Kagome, you don't have to,” the hanyou whispered.
 
“Shhhh, I want to. InuYasha, you are my mate and I love you. You did not hurt me and this seems the best way to prove that to you,” Kagome answered softly as she started to rock against him.
 
“Kagome…”
 
Kagome smiled gently at her lover as she started to pick up the speed and intensity of her ride. InuYasha found himself meeting her with his body, rising at the hip as she threw back her head and started slamming against him. At last she felt what she was waiting for, the rush of warmth that filled her womb as her mate exploded into her.
 
“Kagomeeeeee!” the hanyou exclaimed as the fire that was burning inside him was set free. He reached up to grab his mate by the thighs, holding her in place as he continued to fill her, until Kagome leaned forward to lay prone with his body, careful to keep him inside of her.
 
Resting her hands on his chest and her chin on her hands, she smiled at him before closing her eyes. InuYasha wrapped his arms around her and just held her there until he finally felt himself start to slide out of her.
 
Kagome was content lying in the arms of her mate. She hoped she had accomplished what she needed, to reinforce that she loved him, that he was everything to her, and that he would never hurt her. She shifted forward so that she could gently kiss him on the lips. His golden eyes fluttered open, and she looked deep into them, hoping that all signs of his earlier doubts were gone. Kissing him again, she asked, “Do you want to sit in the hot water for a few minutes? We probably should clean up a little before we have to go back.”
 
“Keh. I guess we do have to go back in time for the feast since they are throwing it for us,” InuYasha commented.
 
Kagome rolled off of the hanyou and stood up, offering her hand. InuYasha took it and let her lead him into the hot water of the spring. Sitting side by side on the flat rock that was almost like a seat in the water, InuYasha wrapped his arm around the miko and kissed her on the forehead. They sat in silence as they enjoyed the comfort that they gave each other.
 
 
 
 
Miroku had decided to stay in the shade near Sango, figuring that sooner or later her anger at him would dissipate. Finally, a question that had been nagging at him would stay silent no longer.
 
“Sango?”
 
“Yes, Houshi.”
 
“What changed, why do you not trust InuYasha?”
 
“What do you mean? I do not trust him any more or less than I ever did.”
 
“That is not exactly true. Do you remember what you said after he transformed to his demon and killed all of those bandits?”
 
“What? What did I say?”
 
“That you would stay with InuYasha, no matter what. After what he had done for you, even if he became a full demon, you would still follow him. What happened?” Miroku asked softly.
 
Sango was silent for a minute before she spoke. “Kami, you are right, I had forgotten about that. I guess I just got so used to him upsetting Kagome. She is like a sister to me, and I hurt when she hurts. I will always be grateful to InuYasha, but it was hard to trust him when he kept running off after Kikyou, breaking Kagome's heart. Naraku nearly caught her more than once because of it. And yet Kagome sacrifices herself, her own heart, time and time again to follow InuYasha, to make him happy. She forgave him every time, and he repaid her by running off again. I am certain that Kikyou tried to harm Kagome, and yet InuYasha still went to Kikyou every time she came around. On top of that, Kagome even saved Kikyou, because she did not want InuYasha to be upset. Kagome always thought of InuYasha first, but he always seemed to think about Kikyou first. I was angry with him because of it. How could he choose the walking dead over someone like Kagome? It just did not make any sense.”
 
“I know, but now we must move forward. InuYasha finally did make a choice, and it was Kagome. He has a strong sense of honor and duty and now it is devoted to his mate. We must remember that,” Miroku responded.
 
 
 
 
InuYasha and Kagome had finally pried themselves out of the warm water, admitting they would look like prunes if they remained there much longer. They had both dressed and were headed along the trail through the wood when they felt Sesshomaru approach them. They continued to walk until they met up with him.
 
The Demon Lord looked even more serious than usual when they reached him.
 
“What is it, Lord Sesshomaru?” Kagome asked.
 
“This Sesshomaru wished to speak to you away from the others.”
 
“We needed to speak with you, too,” Kagome told him.
 
“What is it, Miko?” Sesshomaru asked.
 
“I have to go home as soon as we get back. I didn't realize that I have a test in a few days, and I must be there to take it. I'll have to stay on the other side of the well for probably a week,” the miko told him.
 
“Tests?” the Taiyoukai questioned.
 
“For my education. I'm still in school, learning what I need to know for my world,” Kagome responded.
 
“Those journals you had earlier were for your studies?” Sesshomaru asked her.
 
“Yes, I have books for each of my classes, and I brought some of them here to study so that I don't get too far behind.”
 
“So in your world, reading and writing is important?”
 
“In my world, everyone is expected to know how to read and write, as well as take classes in math, science, history, literature, and business - all kinds of things. It's hard for me because I have to keep running back and forth, and I've missed a lot while traveling between the two eras. But I must finish, or I will dishonor my family.”
 
“Hn. Very well. This Sesshomaru has had a report of youkai that attacked the men coming from the other village. That must be taken care of so the men who came for the mares can return home safely. Will ten days suffice for your travel home to take this `test,' that you said you must?”
 
Lord Sesshomaru did not mention that he had been impressed by the fact that the miko seemed to read and write so much. He noticed that she often had a journal in front of her, as well as a strange tablet and instrument she was writing with. Only the highborn nobles and youkai of his era were able to communicate so. The vast majority could do neither.
 
Kagome breathed a sigh of relief; Sesshomaru was not upset, and had something else he needed to do, anyway. “Thank you Lord Sesshomaru, ten days should be just about right for me to take care of everything I need to at home.”
 
“And InuYasha?”
 
The hanyou had remained quiet during the conversation, observing the exchange between the two, but his ears pricked up at the mention of his name.
 
“Oh, InuYasha is welcome in my home. My mother loves him, and my little brother adores him. He will come with me,” Kagome informed him.
 
“Hn. This Sesshomaru will leave to take care of the youkai immediately after the feast. We will meet in your village in ten days. Come, they will be ready to start the celebration soon.” The Taiyoukai did not mention his surprise that the miko's family accepted the hanyou.
 
“Ready, InuYasha?” Kagome asked gently as she took his hand.
 
“Keh,” he replied as they headed back along the path through the forest.
 
 
^~^
Daiku = ninth
Yuushou = champion
 
AN: For more information regarding Ogura Hyakunin Isshu (100 Poems by 100 Poets) please visit
 
http://etext.virginia.edu/japanese/hyakunin/index.html .
 
There you will find information regarding the collection as well as all 100 poems, in Japanese, Romaji, and English. The site was used as the resource for this chapter.