InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Live and Let Die (Part 3): Learning To Deal ❯ Never A Moment's Peace ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi. Any original characters do belong to me.
 
AN: Thanks much for the reviews! I read each and every one of them, and greatly appreciate the time you took to leave one.
 
 
Live and Let Die: Learning to Deal
 
 
Chapter 8: Never aMoment's Peace
 
Miroku and Sango had returned along with Shippou, Rin, and Kirara from the river. After Rin had spoken briefly with Jaken and made sure to visit with Ah-Un and rub his two muzzles, they had taken a longer route back to kill some time before they went to see if the midday meal was ready yet. As they approached the hut, Kaede appeared from the other direction and put her finger to her lips to let them know to keep the noise down.
 
“What is it, Kaede?” Sango asked as they approached.
 
“Kagome is asleep. Her task with Lord Sesshomaru has tired her out, and InuYasha brought her back. Do not make a lot of noise and wake her unless you wish to feel his ire.”
 
“Again?” Miroku asked with worry.
 
Kaede chuckled. “Aye, Houshi. I had the same reaction. Apparently whatever Lord Sesshomaru is doing with them taxes their mind. He told InuYasha to rest and then take the afternoon off.”
 
“Oh good! I can spend time with Kagome!” Shippou exclaimed.
 
“Sorry, Shippou, but I do not think that is what InuYasha has in mind. Lord Sesshomaru specifically told him to spend time with his mate. I think he has plans with her after they have eaten.”
 
“It's not fair!” Shippou pouted.
 
“Shippou, remember the discussion we had not long ago?” Kaede reminded him.
 
“Yeah, but it's still not fair,” the kitsune responded.
 
“Shippou, Lord Sesshomaru probably told them to spend time together for a specific reason. Even InuYasha was more tired than he wanted to admit after he trained with his brother yesterday. If Lord Sesshomaru told them to take the afternoon off, then they must really need it. We will just have to go and find something else to do after lunch,” Miroku offered.
 
“Keh,” Shippou replied, sticking out his lower lip.
 
“Shippou, do you not like playing with Rin?” the little girl asked.
 
The kitsune brightened up, “Yeah, I do.”
 
“Well, I am glad that is settled,” Sango said, and then commented, “When did InuYasha have time to go hunting?” She assumed that was where the boar that was currently roasting over the fire came from.
 
“Lord Sesshomaru wanted to work with Kagome alone, so InuYasha went to find something different for us to eat. It should be ready in time for our dinner this evening. We still have some soup we can have for lunch. Go ahead and help yourselves if you would like to. I will check in on Kagome and InuYasha,” Kaede told them as she headed through her doorway.
 
Kaede emerged from her hut. “Well, they are already gone. They must have left while I was in the garden. I should have realized they were missing. I hope they enjoy their time together the rest of the day, for we have much to do after they return.”
 
Miroku nodded in agreement and then scooped up a bowl of soup and passed it to Sango before getting one for himself. The others moved to the pot and helped themselves as well.
 
 
After lunch, everyone but Kaede decided to go to the protected shallow part of the river and sit in the shade. Even though the nights were starting to cool down a bit, the days, and especially the afternoons, were still warm. Miroku and Sango sat on the bank watching over Rin and Shippou splashing water at one another. However, they had to back away from the water's edge when the over-energetic pair starting throwing water in their direction.
 
“You know, for someone who does not really like to take a bath, Shippou certainly likes playing in the water a lot,” Miroku commented.
 
Sango snickered. “You would think we had handed him over to be tortured when we actually gave him a bar of soap to use. At least he smells better again. He really stank when all of his hair was burned.”
 
“We should be grateful that he is a youkai and his hair grew back so quickly and that he shed that which was damaged,” Miroku added.
 
“Yeah. If nothing else, he certainly smells better, though he looks better, too,” Sango laughed.
 
Miroku grinned. He was happy to hear laughter from the demon slayer; it seemed like she did not do that often enough. Discreetly, he reached over and placed his hand over hers, rubbing gently with his thumb.
 
Sango looked at him from the corner of her eye, blushed, and then looked away. However, she left her hand where it was.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Ginta and Hakkaku had finally managed to catch up to Kouga. Since they were near water and there was food in the area, he decided they could stay the night where they were. Kouga had realized that he really did not need to rush to the village. Naraku appeared to be anxious for him to get there in a hurry, so the ookami prince had decided he should take his time instead. He would allow his pack mates and the wolves to rest well and eat before continuing on to the village the following day. Kouga shook his head as he looked at his two companions. They had run non-stop trying to catch up with him. When he told them he had decided they would remain here for rest of the afternoon and evening, they collapsed where they were and passed out. While they were asleep, Kouga went hunting and returned with a doe. He threw it to the ground near them so when they woke, they would have a decent meal. The regular wolves had already torn into the belly of the carcass with his blessing. There would still be plenty left when the two ookami youkai finally awakened.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Kaede decided to take the opportunity while all of the others went to the river to walk out to the well. She could feel that Lord Sesshomaru was nearby and continued on to the Goshinboku where she found him.
 
“Lord Sesshomaru, might I have a moment of your time?” the elder miko asked the Demon Lord.
 
Sesshomaru responded, “That is acceptable.”
 
“How are Kagome and InuYasha faring in their lessons with you? They were both very tired when they each returned, InuYasha yesterday and Kagome today. In fact, Kagome was exhausted. I do not totally understand this ability that they have developed,” Kaede commented.
 
Sesshomaru remained silent at first, but finally responded, “Inu-Youkai have the ability to speak with their minds, but few develop it because it is only needed when in our true form. This Sesshomaru was surprised to learn that InuYasha, a hanyou, had inherited this trait from Father and then passed it on to his mate, a human miko.”
 
Since he was not interrupted, he continued, “It takes a great deal of concentration and effort in the beginning and can tax the mind to the point of exhaustion. They have actually done very well and progressed much faster than this Sesshomaru expected.”
 
“What exactly did you do to them?” Kaede questioned hesitantly. However, she needed to know as it could affect her own lessons with them in unexpected ways.
 
“This Sesshomaru cast them each into an illusion, one that they each had a great fear of. They had to determine it was an illusion and not real, and then close their minds to escape it. They were both successful in this endeavor.”
 
“And they can also speak to each other within their mind?” Kaede asked with curiosity.
 
“Yes. They still must work on doing so at will, but they do so rather easily when they are not stressed. The more they practice, the easier it will become until they can communicate under great stress or even when separated by a great distance,” the Taiyoukai answered.
 
Kaede nodded her understanding before continuing, “Lord Sesshomaru, I understand Kagome's barrier because it is the barrier of a miko. However, I do not understand the one that InuYasha creates directly around his body. Have you ever seen anything like it?”
 
“This Sesshomaru has not seen the likes of that before. However, it can be said that this Sesshomaru has never witnessed anything like this mating before.”
 
“What do you mean?”
 
“This Sesshomaru knows that you and the monk were surprised when the two auras merged into one. It defies everything that is known.”
 
“So even though they are mates-”
 
“Their auras are two opposites in nature. That should not have happened,” Sesshomaru answered her unfinished question.
 
“Miko, I know you are more powerful than you let on. Reach out to me with your aura without any intent of harm,” Sesshomaru ordered.
 
Kaede started at his statement, but then did as he asked. She reached towards him with her own aura, which was almost white.
 
Sparks actually flew as her aura brushed against that of the powerful Demon Lord. In a test of wills, they pushed against one another, but neither could make any headway other than to throw sparks into the air where they clashed. They were at a stalemate.
 
Kaede actually chuckled as the contest came to an end. “I know you were holding back, Lord Sesshomaru. I can feel your aura, and it is indeed powerful. However, thank you for humoring an old miko like me.”
 
“It was enough to demonstrate. When equal in power, with two opposite forces that mean each other no harm that is the best that should have happened. Yet, the hanyou and little miko managed to meld their auras into one,” Sesshomaru responded. “And not only that, it was more powerful than the sum of their two auras together should have been. It defies all logic.”
 
“Well, a hanyou mated with a miko is not exactly logical, either. Those two are certainly full of surprises,” Kaede added.
 
“Indeed,” Sesshomaru concluded.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
InuYasha woke with a start. He had not planned on falling asleep out in the open with his mate. However, he was relieved to discover that he had once again engulfed the two of them in his youki, which was acting as a barrier. He also realized that they were both bare to the world, for his haori had been kicked aside somewhere as they rolled around in the thick grass near the spring. Realizing they would need to return soon before it was completely dark, he gently shook his mate.
 
“mmmm, `Yasha,” Kagome mumbled as she rolled over and wrapped her arms around him. The hanyou couldn't keep himself from grinning as he leaned forward to meet her soft kiss.
 
“Kagome? We need to go back soon. The others will be worried if we stay out all night,” he told her softly.
 
“All night!” Kagome jolted awake, her heart pounding. “How long have we been asleep?”
 
“Not long. But it will be dark soon. We really should go back. It isn't safe out here,” InuYasha commented. He could feel other youkai starting to move into the area.
 
“All right, InuYasha. Let's at least get in the spring enough to rinse off,” Kagome yawned.
 
InuYasha scooped his mate up and carried her into the water. They quickly rinsed off any slick and sticky places and then climbed back out to find their clothing.
 
InuYasha heard a deep sigh escape from his mate. “What is it, Kagome?”
 
“I just wish we could stay longer and enjoy the hot spring. But you're right; I feel youkai starting to move around. We should get back,” The miko commented as she hurriedly dressed, tucked her sack full of the precious jewels in a safe place, and grabbed her bow and arrows. InuYasha had already done the same.
 
“Fuck!” InuYasha shouted as he pulled out Tessaiga. “They're here.”
 
“How did they get here so fast!” Kagome exclaimed as she backed up to her mate and nocked an arrow in her bow. “It's almost like they were looking for us.”
 
The pair found themselves surrounded by lower youkai of numerous types. Most were indescribable as to what they might actually be.
 
“Do you sense any jewel shards in this lot, Kagome?” InuYasha asked his mate.
 
“No, not a one. Do you think that is what they are after?” she replied.
 
“I don't know. These youkai are almost too low to know about it, much less be able to make any use of it,” the hanyou responded, Tessaiga still held at the ready.
 
“So what are they doing, then? They almost seem to be waiting for something. Wouldn't they have attacked already if they were planning for us to be their next meal?” Kagome asked.
 
“They would be waiting for me,” they heard a voice say as a youkai stepped out in front of the lower demons that surrounded them.
 
“What the fuck to you want!” InuYasha yelled at him over his shoulder as he held Tessaiga in front of him towards the hoard of lower demons. “If you want a fight, let's get on with it!”
 
“I wanted to see if what I heard was true. It appears that Naraku wasn't totally informed. He thinks you just rut with the human whore out of pleasure, but I see that you have taken her as your mate.” The tiger youkai sighed. “This won't even be much of a fight with just a half-breed and a disgraced miko. I hope Sesshomaru puts up more of a fight before I eradicate him so I can take over the Western Lands. For now, we'll just kill you and take the jewel shards that she carries.”
 
“You know, I'm really getting sick of this shit,” Kagome remarked as she aimed her arrow at the tiger youkai. “I haven't been disgraced!”
 
The tiger yelled for the lower demons to attack InuYasha as he went after Kagome and the jewel. The miko underestimated the speed at which the youkai could travel as he suddenly appeared at her side and had slashed his claws cross her upper arm and chest, knocking her bow from her grip. As he reached to grab the jewel shards from around her neck, he looked at her face to find her glaring at him, rather than cringing in fear as he expected. Kagome grabbed him by the forearm as she directed the purifying energy directly at him rather than into her arrow as she had planned.
 
The tiger screamed in pain as his arm was burned and he fell to the ground. He lay there panting as the lower youkai went after the hanyou.
 
 
Already prepared, InuYasha yelled, “Kaze no Kizu!” and unleashed the Wind Scar, destroying all of the demons he faced in its wake. His eyes bled red when he smelled Kagome's blood as the cat caught her with his claws. He turned to find that Kagome had reclaimed her bow and arrows and with blood running down her arm and chest was firing arrows at the attacking youkai that had not been in the path of the Wind Scar. InuYasha stepped up alongside her and yelled “Kaze no Kizu!” one more time and wiped out the remaining lower youkai that had not fled when he unleashed it the first time. Now, only the tiger was left, lying nearby on the ground.
 
The cat jumped to his feet when he felt the hanyou's eyes land on him. He was startled to find blood-red eyes now glaring at him, and clear demon markings on the hanyou's cheeks present along with the change in the scent of his blood.
 
“You are still just a hanyou,” the tiger gloated. “I will kill you and then take the whore for myself. She must be powerful if she can still do this to me after fucking you,” he said as he prepared to launch himself at InuYasha. His arm had been burned but was not useless, and the claws of his other hand were still deadly.
 
InuYasha stood protectively in front of Kagome, having dropped Tessaiga on the grass next to her. “Mine!” he said harshly as he prepared to meet the tiger.
 
“Not for long,” the tiger said arrogantly as he jumped at InuYasha.
 
This time it was the tiger who underestimated the speed at which the hanyou could respond. InuYasha caught him and threw him back so that he slammed against a tree. The cat jumped back to his feet, and more warily approached the enraged hanyou as they started to circle, not taking their eyes off of one another.
 
InuYasha could smell the blood thickening around his mate and knew he had to end this quickly. He caught just a glimmer as the tiger's eyes wavered towards his injured mate and leaped. This time, he caught the tiger by the throat with one hand and plunged the other into his gut where he proceeded to disembowel him. As the youkai howled in agony, InuYasha snapped his neck before throwing him effortlessly aside. Still growling, he ran to his mate's side to find her now curled up on the ground, clutching her injured arm with Tessaiga pressed against her chest.
 
“You're hurt,” he said gruffly as he carefully pried her hand off of her bleeding arm to see that it had been slashed almost to the bone.
 
“InuYasha, take me home. Please. Mama will know what to do,” Kagome said weakly.
 
“Home?” InuYasha said, still fueled by the smell of his mate's blood.
 
“Home, through the well. Hurry.”
 
“Home,” InuYasha agreed and gathered her up in his arms as she still clung to Tessaiga, and raced for the well.
 
 
 
“That's Kagome's blood!” the ookami prince shouted as the wind carried her scent to them. “Get up, we're moving!”
 
Kouga took off at a run in the direction that the smell of Kagome's blood was coming from. Ginta and Hakkaku were right behind him, though he quickly outdistanced them. The wolf prince arrived downstream to where the pair had obviously fought some enemy and came to a halt.
 
The terrain was torn up; obviously the mutt had used his sword to defend them against whatever foes he had vanquished. Kouga jumped to the spot in the center of the battleground where there was a pool of Kagome's blood.
 
`Mutt-face, you let Kagome get hurt,' the wolf prince thought as he surveyed the area. `What attacked you out here?'
 
“Kouga! Kouga! Where are you!” he heard Ginta call.
 
“Over here. That mutt let Kagome get hurt,” Kouga said with a growl.
 
“Do you think this one had something to do with it?” Hakkaku asked. He had found the tiger youkai's body where it had been tossed.
 
Kouga jumped over to where the corpse lay and stared.
 
“Did InuYasha do this?” Ginta practically whispered.
 
“Yeah, he did,” Kouga confirmed. The scent of the hanyou turned youkai still lingered in the air. “What the fuck was he doing here?”
 
“InuYasha?” Hakkaku clarified.
 
“No, Keikaiyari,” Kouga indicated as he waved at the body of the tiger. “He was an assassin from the northern region. What the hell was he doing in this area? This is far outside of his usual territory?”
 
Kouga looked at the immense amount of damage inflicted on the dead tiger. His intestines and other organs were hanging from the hole that had been efficiently ripped in his stomach. The ookami prince was silently thankful that InuYasha had been able to control his rage the day he had encountered him.
 
“Keikaiyari?” Ginta said softly. “Do you mean the one that has killed a thousand men and youkai for anyone who had his price? I thought no one could stop him.”
 
“Apparently he hurt Kagome and brought out InuYasha's youkai,” Kouga said. He could smell the miko's blood on his right hand where he had sliced her with his claws. “Come on, we'd better get going and make sure she's all right. I'm not certain mutt-face has transformed back. He's dangerous like that.”
 
Ginta and Hakkaku just looked at each other and then realized that Kouga had taken off again. “Kougaaaaa, wait uuuuuup!” they yelled as they raced after him.
 
 
 
InuYasha ran with incredible speed with his mate tucked against his chest. He understood two things very clearly: his mate was badly hurt, and she wanted to return home through the well. He slowed down as he approached the clearing to see an Inu Youkai near his destination. He snarled and lifted his lip as he cautiously approached, unaware that he had already surrounded both himself and Kagome in his youki, forming a barrier against anyone who might try to attack.
 
Sesshomaru's eyes widened as they approached and he caught the scent of blood from both Kagome's injury and InuYasha's youkai. He turned to see that his half-brother was warily coming towards the well, and did not seem pleased that he was in the way.
 
“InuYasha,” Sesshomaru said, hoping to get some kind of recognition from the hanyou.
 
InuYasha growled and clutched Kagome tighter against his chest. His eyes were flickering between gold and red as he tried to regain some control. “She's hurt. Home,” he stated through clenched teeth.
 
Sesshomaru, for one of the few times in his life, was not certain what to do. The hanyou was obviously trying to get his mate through to her home, but on the other hand, what would he do when he got there if he remained in this state? The Taiyoukai remained standing where he was as he realized the old miko was coming back as fast as her legs would carry her.
 
Kaede was panting when she arrived at the scene. She started when she saw the red haze over InuYasha's eyes and the marks on his cheeks. “Lord Sesshomaru, what has happened?” she asked quietly as the hanyou's glare was now locked onto her.
 
“It appears that the miko has been injured, which has brought out InuYasha's youkai blood. He wants to take her home, but this Sesshomaru is not certain that it is wise with him transformed like this.”
 
“He did not…” Kaede started to ask.
 
“No, it was not InuYasha. I can smell the blood of another youkai on him,” Sesshomaru responded.
 
InuYasha was getting impatient with the two that blocked his path. Growling louder, he started to approach the well.
 
“InuYasha, will you not let us look at her?” Kaede asked quietly.
 
The hanyou's eyes flashed a deeper red again as he said in a deep throaty voice, “She's hurt. She wants to go home.”
 
“InuYasha, please,” Kagome said weakly. “Take me home.”
 
Kaede reached up and touched Sesshomaru's shoulder. When he looked at her, she just nodded and backed away. Hoping the older miko knew what she was doing, he stepped out of the way, and InuYasha ran and leaped into the well, vanishing in a blue flash.
 
“This Sesshomaru hopes that you know what you are doing, Miko.”
 
Kaede sighed. “If Kagome was willing for him to take her home in that state, then she must trust what he will do when he gets there. All we can do is wait and hope for the best.”
 
 
Sesshomaru and Kaede both stiffened as they felt a youkai approaching at a tremendous speed. About that time Miroku and Sango appeared in the clearing as well.
 
“What is going on?” they shouted together.
 
“We felt a strong youkai aura,” Miroku added.
 
“Aye. It was InuYasha. Something happened that caused him to transform. Kagome was injured and he took her home.”
 
Sango and Miroku looked at each other and then Sango spoke, “You mean you let him through the well like that?”
 
“We really did not have much choice. And Kagome came to long enough for us to hear her ask to go home. All we can do is trust that she knows what she is doing,” Kaede answered. “But now, another youkai approaches at high speed. It may be after them,” she said as she turned in the direction the aura was coming from.
 
“This Sesshomaru knows this scent,” the Taiyoukai stated.
 
About that time the whirlwind blew into the clearing and came to a halt. When the wind and dust dissipated, the ookami prince stood in its place.
 
“Kouga! What are you doing here?” Sango asked.
 
“You did not challenge InuYasha for Kagome again, did you?” Miroku asked as he stepped forward.
 
“No, it wasn't me,” Kouga said as he looked at Sesshomaru. “It was Keikaiyari. We found his body after InuYasha was done with him. He was the one that hurt Kagome. She lost a lot of blood. Is she all right? Where is she? I know that mutt face came through here because I was following him.”
 
Ginta and Hakkaku stumbled into the clearing, panting and completely out of breath along with the pack wolves. “Did you find Sister? Is she okay? Did you tell them about Keikaiyari?” Ginta gasped.
 
Kaede stepped forward. “So, you must be the ookami youkai that I have heard so much about. How is it that you are in this area?” she asked suspiciously.
 
Kouga was just as stubborn. “Before I tell you, tell me where Kagome is. Why does their trail lead here and vanish?”
 
“She has returned to her home. All we can do is wait for her and InuYasha to return. Now, what are you doing in my village?” Kaede responded.
 
Kouga looked at the faces in front of him and realized that none of them were going to tell him any more than they already had. They had some deep secret and were not willing to share. Perhaps he would learn more if he cooperated and then hung around the area. It sounded like Kagome would be coming back from wherever she had disappeared to.
 
“Just tell them, Kouga. They probably all need to know that Naraku is up to something,” Hakkaku said, as he went to hand Kagome's bow and quiver he had retrieved to the demon slayer.
 
“Naraku!” Sango, Miroku, and Kaede stated together. Sesshomaru just raised an eyebrow.
 
“Speak,” The Demon Lord demanded.
 
The wolf prince glared, but then answered, “Naraku sent that Byakuya incarnation to tell me that, well, that they were…that Kagome and InuYasha…” but he couldn't finish, and actually blushed.
 
Kaede actually chuckled. “I think we get the idea. Go on.”
 
“Well, that Byakuya told me that Kikyou was already headed here along with Lord Sesshomaru. He then told me that he thought Lord Sesshomaru was coming to kill them both before they taint the bloodline any further. I think Naraku plans on me fighting the mutt for Kagome and that Kikyou would try to kill Kagome for taking InuYasha from her. It also appears that Naraku does not know that they are mated,” Kouga told them.
 
“Have you seen the undead miko?” Sesshomaru asked. He still did not care for her.
 
“I ran into her on the way here. She said the same thing, and that she was only coming because Naraku expects her to. I think we both believe he will eventually show up here to see the results of his plan,” Kouga stated.
 
“Indeed,” Sesshomaru surmised.
 
“Kouga,” Sango said softly.
 
“Yeah, Sango?” he answered.
 
“When you saw Kikyou, did…did you…did you see…. Did you see Kohaku with her?”
 
“If that's the boy that she picked up, yeah, he was with her. She was guarding him from me until she realized I wasn't interested in either of them. They are both on their way here,” Kouga told her.
 
“Kohaku,” Sango said softly as tears started to drip down her cheeks.
 
Miroku pulled her too him and held her against his chest. Wrapping his arms around her, he let her cry. He looked over her head at the others as he said quietly, “She has been really worried about him. It is one of the reasons she has been so stressed. I told her I thought Kikyou was watching over him.”
 
“What about Sister?” Ginta asked hesitantly. “What happened to her?”
 
“She was injured and InuYasha has taken her to her home. All we can do is wait. We might as well discuss what we know while we do. Come, we have food at my hut,” Kaede said as she looked at the others. “Rin and Shippou are waiting for our return in order to eat.”
 
Kouga looked at Lord Sesshomaru, “I'm sure you know more about this Keikaiyari than I've heard. Maybe you can fill us in. I wonder what he was doing here so far out of the northern territory.”
 
“Indeed,” Sesshomaru said. They were right, there was nothing else they could do here for now. He turned towards the monk who was still holding the demon slayer. “You left Rin unprotected?”
 
“No, Lord Sesshomaru,” Sango said as she looked up, tears clinging to her lashes. “I left Kirara with them. You know that she will allow no harm to come to her.”
 
“Or Shippou,” Miroku added, making Sango choke back a laugh.
 
“Or Shippou, if she can protect him from himself,” Sango responded.
 
Kaede chuckled. “Let us go. We have much to talk about.”
 
Together, the entire group headed along the path back to Kaede's hut.
 
 
 
InuYasha was still growling softly as he jumped out of the well to land on the floor next to it. He stalked warily out of the well house and then raced to the door of the house. Still holding his mate tightly, he managed to get the door open and went in. It was almost instinct that directed him towards the kitchen.
 
He was met with gasps as he entered the warm and brightly lit room. It appeared that the family was still lingering after dinner as the plates and bowls in front of them were empty, and Mama was up, collecting the dishes from the table.
 
“InuYasha!” Souta exclaimed as he started to get up, but Jii-chan placed his hand on his shoulder and silently warned him to stay put, for InuYasha had snarled and hugged Kagome closer to his body in response to the outburst.
 
“InuYasha,” he heard Mama say softly. She could tell her daughter was hurt, but realized this was no time to act rashly. She could see the hanyou's eyes flickering between red and gold, not to mention they were both still engulfed in the red of his youki.
 
Without taking her eyes off of the still transformed hanyou, Mama said to Jii-chan and Souta, “Slowly, get up and go. Do not do anything to agitate him further. He won't hurt Kagome, but I have to get him to calm down.”
 
“But Mama,” Souta said softly.
 
“I'm certain that he will not hurt me either. Please, just go. Find some bandages so we will have them when we need them,” Mama responded.
 
Souta and his grandfather slowly got up from the table and backed out, not missing InuYasha's low growl.
 
Once they were clear, Mama summoned her courage and took a step forward. “InuYasha, you have to let me see her. I know you brought her here because she's hurt.”
 
The hanyou started to bolt, but the soothing tone of the woman calmed him, much in the manner that his mate did. Finally he said in a voice she almost didn't recognize, “She's hurt. She said to bring her home.”
 
“Yes, InuYasha, I'm glad that you did. Will you let me see her?” Mama asked as she slowly approached him.
 
She was surprised to see InuYasha lean forward and scent the air, like he was trying to sniff her. He allowed her to close the distance between them, though he still clutched his mate possessively to him. However, the fiery red glow around them began to dissipate as he recognized her scent as Kagome's mother.
 
“InuYasha,” Mama said as she reached out to cup his cheek as she had after he left Kagome in the kitchen alone with Hojo. She found herself following his demon marking with her thumb and was surprised when she realized that he was leaning into her hand and had closed his eyes. When they opened once again, they were gold again and the marks were fading.
 
Mama released her breath when she saw he was returning to normal. “InuYasha, what happened? Please, let me see her.”
 
“We were attacked by a bunch of youkai led by a tiger demon. He got a good swipe at her arm. He just moved so fast we didn't expect it. She said to bring her here, you would know what to do,” the hanyou responded.
 
“Come, bring her and lay her down,” Mama said as she ran down the hall to her bedroom, which was closest.
 
“She lost a lot of blood,” InuYasha stated worriedly. He was concerned that Kagome was so still and silent. He laid her gently on the bed as Mama indicated before he pulled Tessaiga from her arms to return it to his side.
 
“Mama?” Souta said hesitantly from the hall. “I've got bandages and stuff.”
 
“Bring them here, and find some blankets,” Mama said and took the medical supplies before shoeing him back out of the room.
 
“I think she is going into shock. Let me see where she was hurt,” Mama said.
 
InuYasha realized that he couldn't pull her shirt off without injuring her further, so the took his claws and sliced it off, baring the wounds made by the tiger's claws. He also removed her cloth sack full of the diamonds she had gathered and tucked inside her shirt for safekeeping and set it aside. Even though she was hurt, he knew she wouldn't want to lose them after spending so much time collecting them. He pulled his collection out of his haori and put the cloth alongside the others. The hanyou heard her mother gasp as she saw the injuries.
 
“InuYasha, she's going to need stitches. Here, let's wrap these blankets around her. We need to warm her up and get her to the hospital.” InuYasha lifted his mate up enough for Mama to wrap her in the blankets that her brother had brought in before she called, “Souta!”
 
“Yes Mama?” Souta was waiting outside the door in case he was needed.
 
“We have to take her to the hospital. Tell Jii-chan to stay here, get InuYasha a hat, and let's go. We can get there faster than the ambulance can get here.”
 
Souta ran and grabbed a hat for InuYasha and followed them out the door as InuYasha carried Kagome, now wrapped in blankets to the car. InuYasha got in without a word and let Souta place the hat on his head.
 
It only took a few minutes for them to reach the hospital emergency room. InuYasha still had his mate in his arms as they went through the automatic doors. He couldn't help himself and came to a complete halt as his senses were assaulted by the scents and noises from the interior. He felt Mama gently grab his elbow and tug, and looking down at his injured mate, followed her in.
 
InuYasha protectively pulled Kagome as close to his chest as he could as two of the hospital staff in their starched white uniforms approached with a gurney.
 
“InuYasha,” he heard Mama softly say, “They want to help her. Please, we need to put her down.”
 
The hanyou looked at Kagome and then her mother standing next to him and nodded and carefully laid Kagome on the gurney. A nurse rushed up with a clipboard and asked, “What happened?”
 
“She was injured and has lost a lot of blood. I think she is in shock. We got her here as fast as we could,” Mama answered.
 
The nurse looked at InuYasha, who was also covered in blood. “Are you injured as well?”
 
InuYasha looked at Kagome lying on the gurney. “It's mostly her blood from me carrying her. Please, just help her.”
 
The hanyou was surprised when he felt a hand take his after he had laid Kagome down. He looked down to see that Souta was holding his hand and was white as a sheet.
 
“She'll be okay, won't she?” the younger brother asked softly.
 
“Keh. She's tough,” InuYasha answered, praying that she would be as they followed behind the gurney as it was pushed down to an examination room.
 
They were led to a private room where they proceeded to remove the blankets that were wrapped around the miko. However, when the nurse realized that Kagome had neither a shirt nor a bra on, she wanted to send both InuYasha and Souta out of the room. She jumped slightly when she would have sworn the exotic looking young man had growled at her.
 
However, Mama had brought Souta along for a reason. She was afraid that they would want to send InuYasha out of the room; she couldn't exactly tell the hospital staff that they were mates, and they were not officially married. At least the hanyou would not be wandering the hospital alone if he had the young boy in tow.
 
“InuYasha, they need to examine her. Since you are not married yet, they won't let you stay with her while they do. Please, go with Souta. He doesn't need to see this, either. I'll stay here with her. I will make sure you know when you can come back in. Please, I know you don't want to leave her, but you do not have to go far,” Mama told him quietly.
 
InuYasha's ears drooped under his hat as he looked longingly at his injured mate. He felt his hand being squeezed and looked down to see that Souta looked even paler than before. “Keh,” he agreed, and let Souta lead him from the room.
 
To be continued…
 
 
^~^
Keikaiyari = Vigilant Spear