InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Live and Let Die (Part 3): Learning To Deal ❯ Promises ( Chapter 19 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi. Any original characters do belong to me.
 
AN: Thanks much for the reviews left so far. I read each and every one of them, and greatly appreciate the time you took to leave one. Please visit http://doggieearlover.livejournal.com/82847.html for responses to reviews from Chapter 18.
 
 
Live and Let Die: Learning to Deal
 
 
Chapter 19: Promises
 
 
Kouga came to a halt as he felt a familiar presence nearby. He scoured his surroundings and realized he had gone further than he thought he had. The wolf prince was deep in thought as he ran. He had known for ages that Kagome would choose the mutt. It was obvious that she loved him, even when she was doing something to aid him or his pack. The more he considered it, the more he began to understand that he didn't really love her and that he would have been a total hypocrite to want to claim her as his mate. Yes, she was a powerful miko and could see the jewel shards as well as sense them at a great distance. However, she would expect for him to mate with her to produce pups, and they would be half-breeds, just like the mutt face was. He didn't know why that particular point had never really occurred to him before.
 
He initially left the village because it was driving him nuts to hear Kagome with InuYasha at night in the forest as they rutted. It seemed to be out of pleasure and need - the two couldn't get enough of each other. He was surprised at how much they were like a newly mated pair of demons, in spite of the fact that one was hanyou and one was human.
 
Once he removed himself from so near the situation, however, he had an epiphany that he didn't really love Kagome like he thought he had. She was brave and stronger than even she realized, but he only wanted her because she already belonged to someone else, at least in her heart, if not her entire body and soul. There was also no doubt that the hanyou had loved her for some time. It was one reason the wolf always enjoyed tormenting him so.
 
As he ran, Kouga concluded that if he survived what would hopefully be the last battle with Naraku, it would be time for him to fulfill his promise and claim a certain proper wolf princess as his mate. She was powerful and strong in her own right, and he knew in his heart that she had loved him since she was practically a child. If she hadn't given up on him and already taken a mate, that is.
 
 
Ayame was surprised when she felt a familiar youki in her territory. Not knowing why he was here or what he might even possibly want, she disappeared into a vortex of her own. She stopped not far above him, where she could look down over where he stood.
 
The ookami prince was standing on an outcropping, gazing out over the valley that lay before him. He appeared to be deep in thought as he looked at the landscape without really seeing it.
 
Ayame leapt down and landed lightly near him. “Why are you here, Kouga?”
 
He closed his eyes and breathed in her scent, though he was still facing away from her. He was relieved that she still smelled as though she were untouched by any other.
 
“Ayame,” Kouga said as he turned to face her. “I'm glad you came.”
 
The beautiful redheaded ookami princess looked at him with puzzlement in her green eyes. “What is it, Kouga?”
 
The wolf prince couldn't believe he was actually nervous. He was Kouga, after all. “We think that the last battle with Naraku draws near.”
 
“He is the one you've been seeking revenge against for your pack?” she asked.
 
Kouga nodded. “The wind witch that killed them was acting under his orders. She is already dead, so Naraku is the only one left for me to seek their revenge. He will also hunt for me for the shards in my legs.”
 
“That is why you must pursue him, even though the one who killed your pack members has already died?”
 
“She betrayed Naraku in the end, and he apparently killed her himself. He still wants the Shikon no Tama whole, though. He'll come after Kagome and me.”
 
Ayame bristled at the mention of the miko's name. “You still intend to claim her as your mate?”
 
“She is mated to the half-breed mutt now,” he answered.
 
“You will not challenge him for her?”
 
Kouga shook his head in response. “It would kill her if I did and won. Besides, I realized something…”
 
“Back up. You said it would kill her. Does that mean that their souls are bound as well?” Ayame asked.
 
“Yes. They belong together. They always did. I realized I only wanted her because I knew that I couldn't have her. Besides, she is a powerful priestess, but she is still human. My pack will only become stronger with another superior line of ookami blood.”
 
“Wait, are you saying…” the princess started.
 
“I was a fool. I did finally remember my promise to you, even if it was long ago. Ayame, if I survive this battle with Naraku, I want you to be my mate.”
 
“You will have to prove your strength to me,” she responded bluntly.
 
“Huh?”
 
“Kagome collects the shards of the Shikon no Tama, does she not?”
 
“What does that have to do with anything?”
 
“When you return to them, as I know you will, you must hand over your shards to the miko and fight on your own two legs, with your own strength. Before I convinced the elder that the union of our packs would be stronger because you possess the shards, but it appears that they bring nothing but trouble. Prove yourself in battle without them, and then return to me. If you survive, I will become your mate,” Ayame answered.
 
Kouga sighed in response. “I was thinking about doing that, anyway, before the final fight. It would be better for Kagome to have the last few pieces of the jewel together where she can keep them purified. Naraku may not think I'm as much of a threat if I do not have my shards.”
 
“And you also will not automatically be a target for him, either,” the princess added. “It may actually become an advantage for you.” She narrowed her eyes at him and continued. “Are you certain that you are no longer interested in the miko?”
 
“No.” Kouga shook his head. “I realized somewhere along the way as I ran that I wanted to be with you. I have no intention of allowing Naraku to kill me, but I do want to be there to see his final defeat. We are certain he will come after Kagome since she has the last remaining shards, other than mine, that he does not have in his possession. I want to be there when he does.”
 
“If she's mated to the hanyou, how is she still a miko, anyway?” the wolf princess asked.
 
“I don't know that anyone can answer that. What is really weird is that she has actually become more powerful than she was, and she has been learning to control the spiritual energy that she has. I think Naraku is going to be in for a surprise when he finally shows up,” Kouga answered. “Kikyou is there, and the mutt's full Inu youkai brother is, too. And the monk and demon slayer are still with them. They all want a piece of Naraku for one reason or another.”
 
“As long as you come back to me in one piece,” Ayame said softly.
 
“Kougaaaaaa!” They heard Ginta and Hakkaku call out as the pair ran towards them, followed by the pack wolves.
 
“Hey, Ayame! Where did you come from?” Ginta asked when they drew up to them and stopped, panting for breath.
 
“You are in my territory,” she answered. “Still having trouble keeping up with Kouga?”
 
“He's just too fast, even for the wolves,” Hakkaku responded. The pack wolves had plopped down where they were, tongues hanging out as they tried to cool off.
 
“So, are you coming with us?” Ginta asked innocently.
 
“No, Kouga is going back long enough to defeat this Naraku, and then you will return here. I have agreed to become his mate if he survives the battle. It will be good for both of our tribes. The combined bloodlines should be strong.”
 
Ginta and Hakkaku both looked at each other before they said together, “Sister! Good move, Kouga!”
 
Kouga and Ayame just grinned.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Shippou was still in hiding in the hut and worried sick about what InuYasha was going to do to him when he returned. He'd overheard enough of the conversation from outside to understand that the thump on the nose wasn't all he was going to be punished with. The others had not even offered him any consolation this time. They were simply ignoring him and letting him sit in the hut alone, in silence. He knew the humans really did not comprehend all of the implications of what he had done, but they did understand that it was bad just because of the intensity of the hanyou's reaction. It appeared that no one was going to look out for him, or speak up on his behalf. It looked like this time he was all on his own, and he knew that no amount of whining or crying was going to help him. Shippou resolved to himself that he was going to have to step up and accept his punishment, no matter what it was. With a heavy sigh, the kitsune rolled over on his side and tried to go to sleep.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
“We're back!” Kagome called out as she and InuYasha entered the house.
 
“Well, hello, dear. I'm glad you two are home. Would you like some dinner? I could heat something up for you.” Mama asked as she greeted them from the kitchen.
 
“That's okay, Mama. That's one reason we were a late. We had dinner but then decided to come back so we could find out what's going on. Was Jii-chan able to-”
 
“InuYasha!” Souta interrupted as he bounced down the stairs. “Hi, Sis. InuYasha, come see!” Souta grabbed the bewildered hanyou's hand and tugged him towards the stairs.
 
The look on InuYasha's face made Kagome giggle and her mother laugh.
 
“You'd better go see what he wants,” Kagome suggested.
 
“Keh.” InuYasha allowed Souta to drag him up the stairs and to the boy's room.
 
“What was all of that about?” Kagome asked when the pair reached the top of the staircase.
 
“Souta's new suit came. You might want to go up and see it for yourself.” Mama laughed. “Souta certainly thinks highly of InuYasha. I think he is more excited about you two actually getting married than almost anyone else.”
 
 
Kagome grinned when she reached her brother's bedroom door and saw the scene inside. Souta was eagerly showing off his new suit along with the shirts and small bow ties he had selected to go with it.
 
The little boy had carried a clear image of InuYasha's suit and accessories in his head when he had gone shopping with his mother. As a result, he was now the proud owner of a black suit for a child his age, a purple shirt with a matching purple bowtie, a white shirt and white bowtie, and red shirt with a black bowtie. He had been very disappointed that they didn't have a red and black paisley one similar to InuYasha's tie, so Mama had convinced him that the black one would be of more use since he could wear it with any color shirt.
 
“It looks like you are ready for tomorrow night,” Kagome commented.
 
“Yeah!” Souta exclaimed excitedly while his sister picked up the suit he had lain on the bed and went to hang it back in the closet.
 
After everything was back in its place, she sat down on his bed and held out her hand. “Souta, I have something important to talk with you about.”
 
Seeing the seriousness on her face, Souta took her hand and faced her. InuYasha arched an eyebrow, wondering what was going on.
 
“You know that you can't say anything tomorrow night about our adventures. And you know you can't say anything about InuYasha normally being a hanyou, right?”
 
“I know, Sis. They wouldn't understand. I promise I won't say anything about it. I don't want anything to happen to him, or to you, either.”
 
Kagome pulled Souta to her and hugged him. “Thanks, Souta. I knew you'd understand. Let's go back downstairs. We have something we wanted to show all of you.
 
Kagome stood and took InuYasha's hand with her free one. Together, all three of them went back down to the kitchen.
 
“Souta, would you get Jii-chan for us?” Kagome asked.
 
“I'm coming,” her grandfather called as he came in from the living room. “What is it?”
 
“We have something we wanted to show you,” Kagome answered. “InuYasha, would you get the rings out?”
 
The hanyou nodded and pulled out the folded cloth that contained their wedding bands. Setting it on the table, he pulled the corners back to reveal the contents.
 
“Kagome! They're beautiful!” Mama exclaimed. “May I see?”
 
In response, Kagome picked up the band that would be hers and handed it to her mother and the one that would be InuYasha's and handed it to her grandfather. They each rolled the ring and followed the design of the tree.
 
“This tree, it looks like Goshinboku,” Jii-chan commented.
 
“I had no idea this kind of work could be done in that time period. How…” Mama's voice trailed off as she looked at wedding band in amazement and took the other from her father-in-law to study it as well.
 
“It wasn't easy,” InuYasha commented. “Do you really want to know?”
 
Everyone nodded in response.
 
“They were forged by a youkai, the same one that made my Tessaiga.”
 
“Cool!” “How?” “What?!” Souta, Mama, and Jii-chan all replied at the same time.
 
“I don't know exactly how he did it, but Totosai created those for us.” InuYasha rooted around and pulled out the band he had taken to use as an example. Handing it back to Mama he said, “Thank you for letting me borrow that. It really helped.”
 
Mama squeezed her hand tightly around the ring that he had placed on her palm and nodded. She carefully placed the two demon-forged wedding bands back on their piece of cloth.
 
“May I see one?” Souta asked politely. He knew the women would be excited about the jewelry, and probably Jii-chan since he wanted them to get married as soon as possible, but he was thrilled about the wedding, too.
 
“Of course, Souta,” Kagome answered and smiled. She picked InuYasha's up and handed it to her little brother.
 
“This is so cool!” he exclaimed as he turned it to see every leaf and limb. Souta then placed it back with its counterpart on the table.
 
A sigh escaped Kagome. If only Shippou had just asked…
 
InuYasha heard her sigh, slight though it was, and furrowed his brow and looked at her. `What's wrong?'
 
`I'll explain when we're alone.'
 
The hanyou nodded in response before he asked, “Could you put these in a safe place for us until we need them?” He was folding the fabric back around them as he spoke.
 
“Of course, InuYasha, though Jii-chan and I wanted to discuss that with you as well,” Mama answered. “Souta, would you run on back upstairs?”
 
“All right, Mama,” the young boy replied and left the kitchen.
 
Everyone took a seat at the kitchen table, with Kagome next to InuYasha.
 
“What is it?” Kagome asked. She was a little worried now since everyone seemed so serious.
 
“You know that InuYasha asked me to perform the wedding ceremony and that I agreed,” Jii-chan started.
 
Everyone nodded in response.
 
“Well, your mother and I have decided that a good compromise would be to separate the nuptials and reception. We will have a completely private wedding ceremony here at the shrine so that you two can be properly joined. We will go ahead and plan your engagement party to announce that you are getting married, and then have a proper wedding reception after you finish school. No one need know that you have actually been married the entire time,” Jii-chan offered.
 
“Do you think that would work?” Kagome asked as she felt InuYasha squeeze her hand.
 
“There isn't any reason why it wouldn't, honey. And maybe we can figure out a way to get some papers for InuYasha in the meantime. You could even have a proper marriage license if we can get some identification for him,” Mama answered.
 
“InuYasha?” Kagome said softly.
 
“I say let's stay an extra day and do it before we go back.” `I'd rather have those rings on our fingers before we meet Naraku.'
 
Kagome's eyes opened wide as she processed what he'd said and considered it. Even without the magical properties of the rings, she realized she would want to be properly married in front of her family in case the well closed with them on the other side when the jewel was purified.
 
“Could we do it that quickly?” the miko asked.
 
“I have everything we need here. You don't need the whole formal getup, if you can do without. However, I think your mother may have something that will do,” her grandfather suggested.
 
“What about Souta and InuYasha?” Kagome asked.
 
“Well, honey, Souta was so excited that we went ahead and bought his kimono and hakama when we were shopping. They will be delivered tomorrow. And since the men's store had InuYasha's sizes on file now, we went ahead and purchased a set for him when your grandfather ordered his new robes. They will all be delivered in the morning,” Mama replied.
 
“Oh!” Kagome exclaimed softly and leaned back heavily in her chair. “I guess we can stay an extra day, then.”
 
“Kagome? Will you come with me for a minute?” her mother asked.
 
“Okay, Mama,” Kagome said as she stood and squeezed InuYasha's hand before she left him.
 
Mama led her to her bedroom and then closed the door behind her. “I couldn't bear to have it cut down to be made into something else. I hoped you would want to wear it when you were old enough to wed. It was my mother's, and I wore it when I was married to your father.” Hanging from the back of the door was her mother's wedding kimono set.
 
“Mama… it… it's gorgeous…” Kagome said as she reached forward to examine the ensemble.
 
At the very core was a creamy soft white on white floral patterned juban, with a stiff silver and white overcollar. On top of that was the next layer, the lined white Kakeshita, and with it there was an obi that matched the silver and white collar of the juban. Lastly, on the very top, was the shiromuku, the traditional white silk wedding kimono of a Shinto ceremony. It was the same creamy soft white as the other pieces, but with a pattern of cranes and cherry blossoms in slightly raised brocade from the matte finish of the garment, which was finished off with a heavy padded hem. Dangling from the hanger was the hakoseko bag that contained the traditional kaiken sword to be carried as well as the fan that would be worn tucked in the obi.
 
“We can get you the uchikake before the reception. You'll want something brightly colored for that, but we'll have time since you want to finish school first,” Mama told her.
 
“Oh, Mama,” Kagome cried as she hugged her mother. “It's so beautiful. I'd be honored to wear it.”
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Sango was standing in a clearing, petting Kirara and looking at the night sky when she heard Miroku approach her from behind. He was not trying to be silent because he did not wish to startle her.
 
“What are you thinking about, Sango?” Miroku asked as he joined her.
 
“How much has happened since the last new moon, or the last two for that matter. Things have really changed, have they not?” she replied.
 
“Yes, they certainly have,” the monk agreed. “Most of it for the better, I think.”
 
“It has just all been so much,” Sango said as she leaned against Miroku.
 
He responded first by wrapping his arm around her shoulder. “There certainly has been a lot that has occurred. Whoever thought those two would finally get together? And I certainly never expected the changes that happened because they did. Tell me, Sango. Are you worried about finally meeting Naraku? It is bound to happen soon.”
 
“Not so much for me - well, I am worried. But more so, I am worried for Kohaku. Houshi, I am not certain that he wants to live. I want him to, for he is my only family and my brother, but I want for him to be happy. I do not know if that will ever be possible. Honestly, I do not think that he wants to survive the battle,” the slayer responded.
 
Miroku hugged Sango tightly. “That may well be his fate; it is not something we have any control over. I guess we will know when the time comes what must be done. You know I will help you in any way that I can.”
 
Sango turned into the monk and snaked her arms around him. “I know.”
 
She looked up into his face with an expression that almost begged him to kiss her. Miroku gazed into her eyes, but didn't miss the subtle lick she gave her lips. Gently, he leaned over and captured her lips with his own. The monk felt her hands tangling in his hair as she grasped at the back of his head, holding him to her. Opening his mouth in response, he allowed her tongue in to explore before he eagerly thrust his tongue into her mouth. Her face was cupped in his hands while he kissed her. When they finally had to break apart for air, Miroku pulled her body back to his and rested his chin on the top of her head. He lovingly rubbed her back as she leaned heavily into his frame.
 
They both knew that Kohaku's shard would be required to complete the jewel and that his life was tied to it. They could only hope that there would be a way to save him when the time came to remove it, if he wanted to be saved.
 
Miroku gently cupped Sango's face in his hands and turned it up enough for him to lean over and steal another kiss. He promised himself that he would do whatever it took to make Sango happy. He wanted to see her smile and hear her laugh after this was all over. He was not certain what that would entail, but he would do his best. The demon slayer had suffered enough pain since Naraku had entangled all of their lives.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
“All right, wench. What is it?” InuYasha asked gently and with worry in his voice.
 
They were currently sitting up in Goshinboku. When Kagome had led him outside, he had picked her up and jumped into the tree to ensure that they would not be interrupted.
 
“It just all sort of hit me at once,” Kagome started.
 
InuYasha brushed her bangs out of her face so that he could see her eyes better. “What did, Kagome? If you really don't want to get married, we can wait. It's just that-”
 
“No, I do want to get married. That was what hit me so - when you mentioned that you would like for us to be wearing our wedding bands when we finally meet Naraku. I suddenly realized that I wanted a ceremony in front of my family, just in case the well seals us on the other side,” the miko answered as she choked back a sob.
 
“Kagome…”
 
“Yeah, InuYasha?”
 
“If you had a choice, where would you want to be?”
 
“With you, always with you,” she answered softly.
 
The hanyou looked into her eyes again. “If you knew the well was going to seal and could choose, would you want to come here, or stay in my time?”
 
“Gods, InuYasha, I don't know. I love Kaede, Miroku, Sango and Shippou like they were my own family, but then I do have my real family here. I could live in the past if I had to, though. What do you want? You'd rather stay in the past, wouldn't you? I mean you've just made amends with your brother, and you fit in there,” the miko answered.
 
“No, I really don't. I never really have,” InuYasha began. “I've always been hated by humans and demons. When I first came here, I didn't think I'd be able to stand it. The noises and smells are so strong. But I've been getting more used to them. And your family… they… they… they accept me. I don't mind helping the old man around the shrine. I've even been able to help him read some of the scrolls that were written in my era. If you wanted to stay here, that'd be okay. I could learn to fit in. I never thought I'd be able to say that, but it's true.”
 
“InuYasha, let's not make that decision until the time comes. Something tells me that we'll know what to do when we have to do it. I don't want to think about that any more,” Kagome responded.
 
“Keh.” They sat in silence before the hanyou asked, “What else was it you wanted to tell me?”
 
“What do you mean?”
 
“You said you'd tell me when we were alone… Was it about the wedding? Or the bands?”
 
“Oh, you mean when Souta asked to see them?”
 
InuYasha nodded.
 
“I was just thinking I wished that Shippou had asked. Why did he have to behave the way he did? Now he's in even more trouble than before.”
 
“Yeah, the runt really fucked up this time. But he's old enough to start thinking before he acts and speaks. Just when you think he's really getting better, he goes and pulls a stunt like that. He won't be traveling with us when we go after Naraku, that's for certain.”
 
“It's just as well. I'd be worried sick about him getting in the way and getting hurt,” the miko responded as she tried to suppress a yawn.
 
“I know. Are you ready to go back in?”
 
This time Kagome couldn't hold back and yawned widely. “Yeah, I'm really beat.”
 
InuYasha made sure his mate was tucked securely in his arms before he jumped lightly down to the ground. Rather than standing her own her feet, he carried her to the door. Kagome was too tired to argue.
 
 
When they were back inside, Kagome finally remembered what she was going to asked just before Souta ran off with her mate. “Hey, Mama? Was Jii-chan able to find out anything more about the reception tomorrow night?”
 
 
“Well, Mr. Furuguchi said it was for some of his best clients and old friends, and it was actually on the small side. He also offered to send a car for us all so we wouldn't have to worry about the drive back home if we ended up staying until the wee hours of the morning. I guess we had better not stay too late, though, if we have a wedding to perform the next day,” Mama replied.
 
Kagome sighed. “And not even time for a proper honeymoon. I guess we can save that until after the reception.”
 
The miko noticed the puzzled look on her mate's face. “Don't worry, I'll explain later.”
 
“Keh.”
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
The monk and demon slayer shared a few more kisses before they finally walked back to the hut, holding hands.
 
Kaede looked up as they entered, and asked, “Is everything all right?”
 
“Yes, Kaede. I think so, anyway,” Sango responded. “I just had some things I needed to think about.”
 
“Regarding the upcoming battle and your brother?” the old miko questioned wisely.
 
Sango just nodded in response before she said, “It is so difficult to know what to do.”
 
“Aye, child. I am certain that you will know when the time comes. It will be here soon enough,” Kaede replied.
 
“That is what I am afraid of,” Sango said.
 
“All any of us can do is the best we can,” Miroku offered.
 
Everyone sat in silence before Kaede spoke, “At least our odds have greatly improved.”
 
“Yes, yes they have,” Sango agreed. “But what happens if we cannot defeat him? He has become so powerful.”
 
“We must defeat him, Sango,” Miroku responded as he clenched and unclenched his outstretched cursed hand. “I, for one, do not wish to meet my father's fate. I desire to rid my family of this curse and then to marry you. I vowed that we would wed as soon as Naraku was vanquished. I am a man who tries to keep his promises.”
 
Sango blushed, and Kaede smiled.
 
“Come, let us get some sleep. It has been very busy the last few days. I, for one, am looking forward to having what I hope to be an ordinary day tomorrow,” Kaede stated.
 
“You mean you do not think training with a hanyou that can project a barrier, or a miko that can throw her energy as a weapon is normal?” Miroku laughed.
 
Kaede and Sango both chuckled at that.
 
“What did Kagome call her exercises with you? Dodge ball?” Sango asked the monk.
 
“Yes, that is what she called them. Come to think of it, I could use a rest myself. Kagome is getting good with those things,” Miroku answered as he stretched out on his mat. “It appears that Rin and Shippou are already asleep. I think that we should join them.”
 
“Goodnight,” the others bade him as they followed suit.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
InuYasha had that goofy grin on his face as he drifted off to sleep, still buried deep within his mate. She had explained the basic concept of the “honeymoon” to him. He thought what a great idea it was that you went off alone together specifically to have sex. And no one would bother you because they knew that's what you were doing. You could even have food delivered to your room so that you didn't have to leave it and could continue to make love to each other. All in all, the plan was hard to fault. Too bad they would have to wait. But for now, he pulled Kagome tightly to him and snuggled so that his nose was nestled against the crook of her neck. The hanyou fell asleep thinking that some of the ideas this time period had really weren't so bad.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Byakuya had covered a fair amount of distance without any sight of the persons he was searching for. He finally had to stop for the night when there was no more light, and he was certain that any traveling humans would have done the same. While they might be set up outside with a fire, they could just as easily be in any of the numerous abandoned huts along the way where he would miss them. Resigning himself to the fact that he probably wouldn't find them in the dark, the incarnation searched for a safe place to spend the night.
 
Byakuya was starting to wonder if Sango had actually grabbed her brother and left the village that the hanyou and miko originated from at all. Surely they would have made it this far, even on foot, if they had done so. Then again, was there somewhere else they could have headed other than the abandoned slayer village? Pondering what it might all mean, he settled in for the night.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
They had a hard time getting Souta off to school the following day. He knew that his formal traditional outfit was supposed to be delivered that morning and wanted to be there when it arrived along with Jii-chan and InuYasha's garments. The boy finally relented and ate his breakfast peacefully after Mama gently reminded him that he was supposed to have two exams that day. She assured him that his robes would be waiting for him when he got home from school. Promising to be good and do his best on his tests, he put on his shoes and headed out the door.
 
Kagome had to giggle at her little brother's antics as she ate her bowl of cereal. InuYasha looked a bit puzzled and so she said, “Most boys his age hate the idea of having to wear a formal kimono and hakama. It's just so funny that he can't wait. Maybe you're a good influence, after all.”
 
“Keh,” the hanyou responded. “You'd think he'd be used to it since Jijii wears his all of the time.”
 
Kagome leaned over and kissed him on the cheek, “But it's different when it's your hero.”
 
“Keh.” InuYasha couldn't help but to blush. It was still hard for him to imagine himself as anyone's hero.
 
 
The sets of formal clothing were delivered shortly before noon. Even Jii-chan's pretended lack of concern was betrayed by the slight smile that flittered briefly across his face. He really did not know how many years it had been since he purchased a new set of robes, and these were going to get plenty of good use right away. He was looking forward to seeing his old friend that night and then performing the wedding ceremony for his granddaughter the next day.
 
The old man still couldn't believe that he was actually happy that she was marrying a man he knew was half demon. But he had come to realize that the two truly belonged together, and he would not make the same mistakes again that he had made with his own son. He had also been doing some research into the old legends of youkai, and everything he found on Inu Youkai showed that they were exceptionally powerful and loyal, and as loving to their mates as they were dangerous to their enemies. From what he had seen of the hanyou, he had all of the traits of the Inu Youkai, even if he were only half. Considering some of the evil things that men had been known to do to each other, maybe the fact that he wasn't entirely human wasn't such a bad thing.
 
 
When it was time, InuYasha had gone to Souta's room to get dressed. It had nothing to do with the fact that Kagome was getting dressed as well - except for the fact that they figured they'd never get out of her room once they stripped down to put on their attire for the evening.
 
 
Kagome was sitting at her dresser, putting on her makeup and trying to decide what to do with her hair. She ended up pulling it up on just one side with a black-jeweled comb her mother had found somewhere and given to her. The miko knew that InuYasha liked her hair down, and a bit on the wild side, anyway, and she wondered if he would comment. He probably wouldn't out loud, but it would be nice if he could at least think she looked good. As she put on a pair of black onyx earrings, she also reminded herself that he would be mortal once the sun dipped below the horizon. They didn't know if they could communicate telepathically when he was human, or if it was only in his hanyou form. They hadn't had a reason to try it before now, and it wasn't like they had that many opportunities. However, since that talent came from his youkai side, it was possible that he would not have it as a mortal. She might have to reach out to him in the course of the evening to test it.
 
 
Souta wanted to get dressed the minute he came home from school, but Mama told him he needed to wait until closer to time to go. Even so, he was excited when he grabbed InuYasha by the hand and dragged him towards his room the minute Mama told him he could go and get ready.
 
The boy had no trouble at all with his suit since he had worn one before. InuYasha followed his actions, and started by putting on the deep violet shirt. Then came the pants, which he was getting much better at zipping. Though he did let Souta help him with the button, since he was afraid of slicing it off with his claws. Souta tried to help him with the socks he was to wear with the dress boots, but the hanyou accidentally stuck his foot right through them, thanks to his hard, tough, toenails. Fortunately, he had more than one pair of socks, and they decided to wait until he'd turned human for the evening to try that again. The only thing that the little boy couldn't help him with was the tie, so InuYasha carried it with him, along with the socks, to the kitchen for help. Souta told him that either his mother or grandfather would be able to help with it, and led the way down the stairs.
 
 
Kagome had to admit she felt all grown up, wearing the black lace dress and jacket along with black stockings, as she emerged from her room, carrying a black evening bag. She could hear the others excitedly chatting downstairs, so she went to see what was going on.
 
The miko couldn't help but to smile as she looked at InuYasha and her little brother, both in a black suit with purple shirts and ties. Mama was helping InuYasha with his necktie.
 
“There you are, InuYasha. I must say you look very handsome,” Mama said as she finished adjusting the tie up to his collar.
 
“Yes, you certainly do,” Kagome agreed. What she really wanted to do was rip that suit right off of him. “And you are, too, Souta.”
 
InuYasha turned to look at his mate and caught his breath. He couldn't help it; she was stunning in the black lace dress. “You… you… you're beautiful,” he said, barely above a whisper.
 
“Thanks, InuYasha.” Kagome blushed, but was glad he liked it. She wondered if he was having the same thoughts about her. “Mama, your dress is gorgeous, too. And thanks for helping InuYasha.” The miko giggled when she looked down and saw his bare feet. “Where are your socks?”
 
“Keh. I've already fucked up one pair. I'll put them on after the sun goes down,” the hanyou replied. He also blushed because he did try to watch his language around Kagome's mother and that had slipped out.
 
“Toenails too hard on them?”
 
“Keh.”
 
About that time, the sun disappeared below the horizon, and InuYasha transformed in front of them. Mama and Souta watched in amazement. Jii-chan stopped in his tracks as he came into the kitchen at just the right moment, and saw what was happening. It was fascinating to watch the ears on top of his head disappear as the human ears appeared in their place on the sides, and his silver mane turned to black. Less obvious were the claws that became regular fingernails and toenails, and the gold eyes that were now deep violet. Of course his fangs were gone now, as well.
 
They heard a knock at the door as InuYasha was putting his socks on, and Souta ran to answer it. “The car is here for us,” he called back to the others.
 
“Tell the driver we'll be right out,” Mama instructed, before she asked, “Well, is everyone ready?”
 
Kagome took InuYasha's hand and squeezed it as she smiled at him. “As ready as we'll ever be. Let's go.”
 
The miko looked over her mate as they left the house. There was no other word for it; InuYasha was hot in that suit in his mortal form. Kagome hoped Totosai had her engagement ring for her before the reception, or she would be beating the other girls off of InuYasha with a very big stick.
 
 
To be continued…