InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Far Away Eye's Fairytales: A Drabble Collection ❯ The Most Difficult Lesson ( Chapter 49 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Title: The Most Difficult Lesson
Author: Far Away Eyes
Word Count: 250
Genre: Angst, Drama
Characters: Sesshomaru, Rin
Rating: PG
Spoilers: Manga chapters 467-471
Summary: On his return from Hell, Sesshomaru realizes the exact cost of strengthening his sword. Unable to use Tenseiga to revive Rin a second time, can there still be hope? What lesson is he to learn from this experience? A glimpse into Sesshomaru's thoughts and feelings as his mother returns his irreplaceable Rin to him.
 
Sesshomaru emerged from Hell, clutching the lifeless Rin. Everything he'd hoped to accomplish had been for naught. The price he'd paid to strengthen Tenseiga had been too high. What purpose did the healing blade have if it couldn't restore the life of the most precious person he'd ever known?
 
It was useless. He was useless. For all of his power, Sesshomaru was nothing. He settled Rin's body onto the cold stone. She looked so pale and deceptively peaceful. Sesshomaru's chest ached at the hopeless realization that he'd never see her dimpled smile again. He'd truly been forsaken.
 
His mother removed the Meidou-seki from around her neck, and placed it around Rin's. Sesshomaru stared at her recumbent figure, allowing the tiniest blossom of hope to bloom. This would be Rin's last chance for resurrection. A soft gasp unwittingly escaped Sesshomaru when her eyes opened, focused on him. He heard the comforting beat of her heart, and elation swelled in his. Rin had returned to him, and in that moment, the puissant Sesshomaru acquired humility.
 
To reassure himself that what he saw and heard was indeed true, Sesshomaru rested his hand on Rin's head. She felt warm, as she should. Her tiny hand reached up to hold his, and for the longest moment, they remained thus. In this touch, they reconnected with one another, reaffirming their unique bond.
 
Satisfied, Sesshomaru whispered, “You're---all right now.”
 
He'd taken her presence for granted, and while touching Rin, he'd learned that life should be cherished.