InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ She Who the Prophecy Foretold ❯ Preparations and Confrontations ( Chapter 26 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 26 - Preparations and Confrontations 
 
 
      The pups had been awake for some time and their father had yet to come out of his room. They could sense him in there but he hadn't made any noise or left his bed. Eventually Yoshi decided to go in and check on him. He knocked on the door and waited but he got no response. Sucking in a deep breath, he opened the door and entered the room.  
 
      “Father? Father, are you alright?” 
 
      Sesshoumaru simply rolled over in the bed, facing away from his son.  
 
      “Father, we are worried. What are you so upset about? Does it have something to do with Kagome?” 
 
      Sesshoumaru didn't want to talk about it but he knew Yoshikazu wouldn't leave until he did. Letting out a sigh he rolled back over to look at his eldest. “You will not leave unless I speak, will you?” Yoshi shook his head. “Fine. The miko is angry with this Sesshoumaru. She told me to not speak to her when she returns, or better yet, be gone.” 
 
      “What happened, Father? Why was she angry?” 
 
      “This Sesshoumaru made the mistake of telling her she could not leave.” His eyebrow rose when his son started to laugh. “How exactly do you find this entertaining? If the miko will not see or speak to me, she will definitely not mate with me.” 
 
      “That's not it, father.” He giggled some more. “Okay, so maybe that is it. I wish you would have listened to us yesterday. When we felt her anger Shippo guessed what had happened and he was right.” 
 
      “I fail to see how that is cause to laugh.” He was getting angry now. How could his son laugh when the miko surely hated him? 
 
      “It's just… she's not mad at you. Shippo said that the hanyou does it all the time, trying to stop her from leaving. She yells and subdues him, but she always forgives him. It's almost a tradition. They fight every time she wants to go home. She always comes back to him, though.” 
 
      “So you are saying the kit does not think this is serious?” Was it possible that she would forgive him and didn't mean what she said? 
 
      “Yes, father.” Yoshi had a huge smile on his face. “She just doesn't like being told what to do.” He watched as his father's face showed relief. “Were we not going to ask the hanyou to join his group? Now would be the perfect time to do so, while she is still gone. Then it will be a surprise when she returns.” 
 
      Sesshoumaru sat up in bed and nodded. “Then that is what we will do. Tell Jaken to ready Ah-Un for the trip and to pack things for Rin. Jaken will also accompany us. Tell your brothers to gather whatever they may need and I will advise the servants as to what shall be done while we are away. We leave within the hour.” 
 
      Yoshi nearly flew from the room, calling to his brothers as he went rushing to find Jaken. The toad was not happy of course, but did as he was ordered and Rin was jumping for joy. The boys gathered their things while Rin helped Jaken pick out what she wanted. Sesshoumaru dressed and spoke quickly with his head servant, giving orders for the household. It was less than half an hour later when they were all outside ready to go, Ah-Un with saddlebags fully loaded. Yuudai and Isamu rode on their father's youki cloud while the older five each formed their own. Rin and Jaken rode on Ah-Un and they were all approaching the village in no time.  
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/ 
 
 
      Kagome decided when she woke that she wasn't quite ready to return yet, instead choosing to go shopping. There were some things she needed to stock up on anyway, especially if they would be traveling for longer periods of time. She would buy extras and bring them over in a few trips. Kaede wouldn't mind if they left some things in her hut. They could probably carry more too, now that she had Kazue.  
 
      Deciding she would probably be buying too much to carry home she asked her mother to come along so they could take the family car. Hiromi agreed and after a quick breakfast and seeing Souta off to school they were on their way. They went to a supermarket since it carried most everything she needed. She ended up with bags and bags of ramen, quite a bit of jerky, chips, trail mix, and other ninja snacks her friends enjoyed, as well as a much larger supply of candy and pocky then usual. She decided to stay positive and she hoped to see Sesshoumaru, the pups, and Rin again very soon. With that in mind she picked up extra coloring books, pads of drawing paper, and big boxes of crayons.  
 
      She stocked up on bathing supplies, remembering to grab Sango's favorites, while her thoughts drifted to long flowing silver hair and she pondered how he managed to get it so shiny. Maybe it was just a youkai thing. She also grabbed every pack of band-aids, bandages, gauze, cotton balls, antiseptic wipes and sprays, pain relievers, and a large supply of feminine products as well, which she also kindly shared with Sango. There were some things from her time that she flat out refused to give up. She even remembered to get some arthritis medicine for Kaede. On the way out she remembered her newest companion, Kazue, and picked up a few different kinds of treats. She didn't know if an inu youkai would like them but she figured it was worth a try. Just to be fair she picked up some cat treats for Kirara. You never know. 
 
      They stopped in a bookstore conveniently located a few doors down and Kagome picked up a few new books on philosophy that Miroku enjoyed. She refused to buy him `those' magazines that Inuyasha had seen once when he was shopping with her and made the mistake of mentioning to the hentai houshi. While in the bookstore she decided to get a big book of traditional bedtime stories. She wasn't very good at adlibbing.  
 
      So she had something for everyone except Sesshoumaru. She didn't know what to get him. What does one buy for a Great Inu Taiyoukai and Lord of the Western Lands anyway? She had no idea and her mother wasn't much help either. After quite a bit of thinking she settled on a gorgeous old-fashioned writing set, well, not quite as old-fashioned as he was used to. It consisted of three different fountain pens. Not quite a quill and ink but she thought he might like them. They came in a beautiful wooden box with velvet lining. She was sure to grab a few packs of refill cartridges too. Now all she could do was hope he liked it and then show him how to use them! 
 
      One final stop was made for Kagome to pick out some new clothing. There wasn't a whole lot of point in wearing her school uniform anymore and some of her things looked like they had been shredded by claws which in fact they had. She ended up with five pairs of jean shorts in different colors, which she figured were fairly sturdy, four pairs of jeans, also in different colors, some tank tops, t-shirts, and long sleeve shirts. She also grabbed two new pajama sets, one sleeveless with shorts and one long sleeved with long pants, a new nightgown that hung to mid-calf, and a new bathing suit. Socks, underwear, and bras were added too.
 
Her socks and panties had seen better days, but she needed new bras for a different reason. She had noticed that the ones she had were getting too small, as she had been filling out more lately. It took some time for her to notice but it was obvious now as she tried on a larger size that she was definitely more developed. She got a lot of socks, panties, and bras as they were small and wouldn't take up much space. They were things she refused to wear for more than one day at a time. This way, she wouldn't have to wash her clothes quite as often. She topped it all off with a pair of waterproof hiking boots, a pair of running sneakers, and a pair of flip-flops.  
 
      When all was said and done she had definitely been right. The car was packed full to overflowing and Kagome and her mother barely managed to squeeze their way in. On the way home Kagome was mentally covering her purchases in her mind, hoping to every Kami she knew of that she had everything. She had spent nearly every penny of her stored up allowance, even though her mother had offered to pay for everything. She didn't see why her mother should pay for things for people she had never met and figured she needed her money for their household. Once she was sure she had gotten everything she decided to ask her mother for her opinion on something she had been debating all day. 
 
      “Mama, do you think I should tell him? About the well I mean.” 
 
      Her mother glanced at her before returning her eyes to the road. “Well, dear, do you trust him?” 
 
      Kagome thought about if for a minute. “Yeah, Mama, I do.” 
 
      “Well then I don't see why not. Perhaps it will relieve some of his worries if he knows where you are going when you leave.” 
 
      “I guess you're right. He's my friend now and I can trust him so I should tell him. It's only fair. He's told me things I don't think he's ever told anyone. Well, alright then. I'll tell him the next time I see him. That is, if I see him. Last night when I checked in on him he was leaving. I hope he comes back. I didn't mean it when I told him he should go.” 
 
      “I'm sure he'll come back dear.”  
 
      Kagome looked at her mother. She definitely looked sure. But how could she be so sure? “Mama, do you know something? Why are you so sure he'll come back?” 
 
      Her mother smiled at her. “I just have a feeling is all.”  
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/ 
 
 
      Inuyasha had been sitting up in the God tree since dawn. Shippo was still pouting for some reason and Sango and Miroku had been resting in Kaede's hut while the old woman did her village rounds. His dream from the night before flashed through his mind from time to time. He missed Kagome and was having a bit of a fight with himself over whether to go see her or not. He had barely seen her when she had been there and before that they had been apart for nearly two weeks, so he was definitely in Kagome withdrawal. He had finally made the decision to go when he sensed the demonic energy approaching his location. He tensed, ready for battle and once the scent reached him he leapt to the ground, his hand on his sword.  
 
      Sesshoumaru looked down at the clearing where he had sensed his brother. Inuyasha was already looking for a fight and they hadn't even landed yet. He directed Ah-Un and his sons to land a ways back and he landed there as well, leaving Yuudai and Isamu behind with the others as he approached his brother.  
 
      “What the fuck are you doing back here you bastard? I just fucking got rid of you!” He glanced to the side when he heard Sango and Miroku rush into the clearing holding their weapons of choice. Kirara was there as well, but she remained in her smaller form. Just a few seconds later a tiny Kazue sauntered into the area and walked over to sit beside Kirara. Apparently they had made friends. Looking back to his brother, Inuyasha was surprised to see him still standing there just waiting for his attention. 
 
      When his brother was once again focused on him, Sesshoumaru began. “I have not come to fight you, Inuyasha.” 
 
      “What the fuck other reason is there?” The hanyou was fuming. He just couldn't get rid of these assholes! 
 
      “As you know, Naraku had placed a curse on my sons. Because of this, as well as for his previous attempts on Rin, he must be dealt with.” 
 
      “Keh! That's not the only reason.” 
 
      “Indeed, brother. This Sesshoumaru is aware of his many crimes. After some thought, I have decided to propose an alliance and joining of the packs.” 
 
      “What the fuck?” Never let it be said that Inuyasha lacked a way with words.  
 
      “I would like to join you and your group in your hunt for Naraku.” 
 
      “No fucking way! Why the fuck would I want you to…” His rant was silenced by a smack to the head from the monk's staff.  
 
      “Inuyasha, do not be hasty. We should consider your brother's offer.”  
 
      Sango nodded her agreement. “He is after Naraku too, so it makes sense we join.” 
 
      “Not only that, but Naraku has proven that he somehow sees Sesshoumaru as in his way. This could be used to our advantage. We would be stronger together than apart.” Miroku gave a small bow to the demon lord as he finished.  
 
      “What is WRONG with you?!!??!! He is the enemy! Or did you forget? He has tried to kill us all!” 
 
      “Nothing is wrong with us, Inuyasha. We just think that you shouldn't turn this down so quickly. Let him talk.” Miroku looked to the taiyoukai again. 
 
      “Thank you Monk and Slayer for your assistance. This Sesshoumaru feels that a merging of the packs will make us a stronger power against our common enemy. We could better fend off his attacks, as well as be stronger during any battles. To combine my strength and extensive resources with your greater knowledge of the enemy and his workings would allow us to locate him more easily and finish him for good.” 
 
      The hanyou now looked more like he was pouting than anything. “You mean you, Mr. All Powerful, need help from us? From a filthy hanyou and a couple useless humans? Keh! How do I know you won't try to steal Tetsusaiga from me during the night? Or kill us all when our guard is down?” 
 
      “I think we should at least wait and see what Kagome thinks,” Sango said. “She might have some thoughts on this and she should have some say.” 
 
      “Why the fuck would Kagome be on his side? He's tried to kill her too, remember!” Though they had been trying to keep themselves under control, a chorus of threatening growls could now be heard from the seven young inus standing a bit away. “Sesshoumaru, why don't you tell your brats to shut up?!” 
 
      Sesshoumaru clenched his jaw as he unconsciously cracked his knuckles while flexing his claws at his side. “It would do you well to not insult the heirs to the western lands.” 
 
      “You should know by now, brother, those words mean nothing to me.” The tone of Inuyasha's voice surprised his friends. They had never heard him sound quite so bitter before, and they had definitely seen bitter in the past.  
 
      “Lord Sesshoumaru, if you don't mind waiting a while, we would like to talk to Kagome before we decide. I think though that both Sango and I agree that a partnership would be to our benefit.” Miroku watched as Inuyasha threw his hands in the air in frustration and jumped into the branches of the god tree once more.  
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/ 
 
 
      Kouga had arrived at his den the day before and all the wolves had been avoiding him since. It was clear he wanted to be alone. His mood had been swinging wildly from angry to depressed to confused and back again. He was angry at both Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru for interfering with his relationship with Kagome and also angry with himself for saying such stupid things without sensing her presence. She had been so mad at him! Never before had she allowed Inuyasha to fight him and this time she not only let Inuyasha attack him but Sesshoumaru too! And that was right about when the confusion would set in. Why had Lord Sesshoumaru been there, so close to where Kagome's scent ended? And why did he care what Kouga had said about Kagome to Inuyasha? The demon lord hated humans, so why would he take offense? What did it matter to him? And where in the hell had she come from? Oh, and Kagome was so mad! She would probably never speak to him again! If only he had kept his mouth shut! But no, he just had to try to rile up the hanyou, just for the fun of it. He had to find some way to fix this.  
 
      And so he had sat, all day and all night and all the next day too, trying to figure things out and trying to find some way to apologize to Kagome. He absolutely could not stand it if she hated him. Thoughts of his search for her returned and he focused on his midnight meeting in the western lands. Now that he thought about it, Sesshoumaru had gotten angry at him not when he mentioned Inuyasha so much as when he mentioned Kagome as his intended. No, it couldn't be. The very idea was just too ludicrous to imagine. No, Sesshoumaru couldn't be interested in his Kagome. It was just not possible! But it did make some strange sort of sense and definitely explained why the taiyoukai had attacked him so viciously, losing control of his beast. But if that were the case…then he would have even more competition for his precious Kagome's attentions! If it were true then Sesshoumaru would be searching for a way to get closer to her, which meant that he would have to as well. He refused to be shown up by a damn dog! 
 
      So now his thoughts focused solely on finding some way to stay close to Kagome. He had to protect his claim. She would be his mate and no one else's! But how would he be able to stay in her presence with the stupid mutt of a hanyou always pitching a fit? And if he was right and Sesshoumaru would be there too then it would be even more difficult. He decided that maybe he needed some help with this and went off to find Ginta and Hakaku. They seemed to understand Kagome better than he did sometimes. Maybe they would have an idea. 
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/ 
 
 
      Inuyasha was sitting high in the god tree, glaring at anything and everything. He was furious! How dare his fucking brother try to act like everything between them was just fine and dandy and think that he could just show up and join his pack? No way! Absolutely not! And then for Miroku and Sango to side with the enemy! What in the world were they thinking?!?! What was worse though was that he knew they were right. It really would make their group stronger, which would make it easier for him to keep Kagome safe. And thinking of Kagome, he already knew what she would say when she came back. She would feel the same way as the traitors of a monk and slayer. He already knew he had lost, but did they have to make it so obvious? He was supposed to be the damn alpha here! They should listen to him! But nooooo, they had to undermine his authority in front of his brother of all people. Damn it!  
 
      And to top it all off, the big bastard and his herd of little bastards were camping out by the well waiting for Kagome to return. There was something going on. He was sure of it. Why would his brother suddenly want to join up with him? Why had his brother shown up missing the presence of Kagome yesterday and why had he insisted on staying to wait for her to return? Why was the wench suddenly so comfortable with him when he tried to dissolve her with his poison the first time they met?!? She knew how dangerous Sesshoumaru could be! And how did the pups know her? It was obvious when Kagome had returned yesterday with his brother after the fight with Kouga that the pups knew her. One of them had said something about a mark. What was the little runt talking about? Kagome didn't have any demon marks. He would know! Wouldn't he? Hell, he would have marked her as pack himself, except that it would probably put her in more danger rather than protect her. Demons would be able to tell she was marked by a half-breed and they would hunt her down just like they did him. No, he couldn't do that to her, no matter how much he craved a permanent connection with her. It was just too risky. 
 
      Inuyasha finally decided on something. He would not let them wait by the well alone. If Kagome came back early then she would be alone with his brother's pack and that idea did not sit well with him. So he was at the clearing in moments, finding a tree close to the well. He knew Sesshoumaru knew he was there but it didn't matter. He was here to wait for Kagome and make sure she was safe, whenever she returned.