InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ She Who the Prophecy Foretold ❯ Guessing Game and a Connection Renewed ( Chapter 28 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 28 - Guessing Game and a Connection Renewed
 
 
It had been a long, complicated story as Kagome filled her friends in on what had really happened to her while she was gone. Sesshoumaru added in some insight and even the pups popped in when it came to their actions. Shippo covered his disappearance and discovery, as well as bragging about his new mark. Inuyasha had to grit his teeth and clench his fists at times, but he kept his mouth shut and listened. He owed Kagome that much at the very least. The whole time, Miroku had been nodding his head as their guesses were confirmed. Sango listened, enraptured by her sister's secret adventure and Kaede still held that same smile on her face. When the story was finished Kagome ended with another apology for worrying them so much. Miroku and Sango of course forgave her immediately. They knew why she couldn't tell them. The reason why was sitting there beside them, barely holding in his growl.
 
“Kagome…(sigh). Kagome, I guess I understand why you lied. But damn it! That was stupid! He could have been lying to you! He could have killed you! And no one would have ever known where you disappeared to!”
 
It was Sesshoumaru's turn now to hold in his growl, but it didn't really matter, as the seven other growls said everything for him. To say that their father could have hurt or killed Kagome was too much for them to handle silently. Inuyasha shot a glare at his brother's pups.
 
“Inuyasha! Stop it! Your brother didn't hurt me! He asked, ASKED, for my help. I agreed to go with him. And you're gonna have to get over your whole attitude problem, because Sesshoumaru is now my friend. And you are just going to have to deal with it!”
 
The smirk that escaped, unrestrained, at her words caused Sango to gasp, Miroku to grin, and Inuyasha to growl again. “Yes, little brother. The miko, Kagome, is now this Sesshoumaru's friend.” Kagome failed to detect the difference in tone and completely missed the glint in his eyes but Inuyasha on the other hand caught it all just as he was meant to. Another growl rippled through him.
 
“Inuyasha! Don't make me say it! And I think that an alliance is a wonderful idea. Some things have changed and we just might need the extra help.” They all looked at her oddly for a moment. What else had changed that hadn't already been said? Kagome responded by opening her bag and pulling out an ancient looking scroll which she handed to Miroku. “Miroku, would you do the honors for me? My mother gave me this scroll when I went home day before yesterday. It seems that things aren't as random as they seem.”
 
Miroku accepted the scroll and unrolled it. Scanning through his eyes nearly popped out of his head. “Kagome? Is this real?”
 
“Yeah, Miroku, it is. And it's right too, every word. Could you read it for me bit by bit and I can fill in the blanks as you go?”
 
He simply nodded again before clearing his throat and starting to read aloud: Hundreds of years and many generations will pass before one is born who will redeem the trapped soul of the great priestess, Midoriko. She will come to right the wrongs of the past. She will be the savior of the future.” He glanced at Kagome who motioned for him to go on. “The priestess will be born of two era's, and will live for a time in two presents.”
 
“This bit here was a big surprise for me. Apparently, my father came to my family through the well. Sesshoumaru, I hadn't told you and the kids yet but I'm ready to tell you now.”
 
“Kagome! Don't tell him! You have no fucking idea what he could do! You can't trust him!”
 
“Inuyasha…I do trust him. That is why I am going to tell him. It's not your well, not your secret, not your decision!” She smiled at Sesshoumaru and began again. This time the hanyou grudgingly kept his mouth shut. “The well takes me to my home. I live right here, on this shrine, five hundred years in the future.” She paused for a moment to let her words sink in. “Surprised?”
 
The thought that she trusted him enough to share her secret made his heart flutter a bit but it nearly stopped completely when he heard her next words. Sesshoumaru was shocked. He knew that the well was magic, but the future? And five hundred years? That was something he had never expected. He understood, now, why she had kept it a secret. If he hadn't known for sure by her scent that she was telling the truth, and that her friends seemed unfazed by the whole thing, he might not have believed it at all. But it did certainly explain a few things. This was just one more new and different thing about her out of many, and so he took it in stride. His pups had let out their own little noises of surprise, looking to Shippo who nodded. When their whispers had stopped he spoke. “It does make sense, I suppose. It explains your strange dress and speech. It explains why you are so different from every human female this Sesshoumaru has ever seen.” Kagome missed the smoldering look in his eyes but Sango saw it and it confused her for a moment. She was distracted, though, from her contemplation by Kagome who was speaking once more.
 
“So, I couldn't figure out how I could be born of two eras but apparently my father was from this era to begin with. Add to that the fact that I thought he was dead for years, I found out that he isn't dead at all, but here, in the feudal era. Mama said that he had to return to guard something I would need and it couldn't be kept there. So she lied to us and told us he died. So not only is my dad not dead, but now I get to go looking for him!”
 
“But Kagome, why didn't they tell you this when you first came through the well?” Sango was confused, and could feel the residual feelings Kagome held on the subject just by looking at her. She didn't need a mark. She knew her sister.
 
“You'll see. Apparently things had to happen in a certain order or bad stuff would happen. A kind of `what ever doesn't kill you makes you stronger' kind of thing I guess. And so I am born of two eras. And you guys know all too well how I have been living in two different presents for nearly two years. Go ahead Miroku.”
 
“She will return against her will, bringing with her the cursed Jewel of Four Souls.”
 
It was Inuyasha who interrupted this time. “Mistress Centipede dragged you down the well. So it was supposed to happen?”
 
“That's not all. Just you wait. It gets better.” She nodded to the monk again.
 
“To undo the damage of one priestess, she will first undo the mistake of another. She will find another to guide her in the right direction.”
 
“That, in order, is to undo the damage caused by Midoriko when she created the jewel, undo the mistake of Kikyo by pinning Inuyasha to the god tree, and finally Kaede, who pointed us in the right direction. Remember, Inuyasha? She told us we would have to travel together. And she has always helped to guide us, me especially.”
 
“You knew about this then you old hag?” Inuyasha growled at the elder miko.
 
“Yes, Inuyasha, child, I did. I have known of the prophecy for some time, and I recognized immediately who our Kagome was. But yet I too could say nothing until it was time. Go on please, Miroku.”
 
“To release the great Midoriko, the jewel will be forcibly removed from the body of the prophesized and be shattered, the shards spread across the land. This will begin the journey of the new great priestess.”
 
“You have got to be kidding me!” Inuyasha yelled.
 
Kagome giggled. “That is exactly what I said. I know, if only we had known. Go on. The next part is where it gets good. See if you guys can tell me who is who.” They all looked at her funny until Miroku started again.
 
“She will find along the way many things. She will discover first the spirit of Aramitama, the embodiment of courage. That one has to be Inuyasha, correct?” Kagome nodded and Miroku continued. “Kushimitama will follow, the embodiment of knowledge guiding her path.” He paused again.
 
“We met the runt next, but apparently he doesn't count, huh? So Miroku is knowledge. I don't know if I buy that one.” Inuyasha smirked.
 
“I am deeply hurt, Inuyasha, deeply, deeply hurt.” Miroku grinned as well. At least he had ended up right where he was supposed to be. Maybe, then, things would turn out okay. “Nagimitama will join her, the embodiment of friendship finding a special place, yet unused in the priestess's heart.” Miroku smiled. He knew who that was.
 
Everyone looked around for a moment before Shippo spoke up. “Friendship is Sango! You call her your sister and you never had a sister before! Right?”
 
“You're right, Shippo. Now this last one, Mama said I'm not supposed to know yet, but I will figure it out eventually.” Miroku looked over the next line before a lecherous smirk crawled onto his face. “Don't even start, Miroku! Just read!”
 
“Alright, alright, Lady Kagome. Forgive me. The final spirit, Sakimitama, will be known and yet unknown. When the embodiment of love accepts its place, the next step can occur.”
 
Sesshoumaru had frozen in place, had even stopped breathing when he heard the monk's words. She was destined to be loved by someone. But who? What in the hell does that mean anyway? Known but unknown? Accepts its place? He was snapped out of his trance by a small chuckle. Everyone was looking around trying to figure out where the sound had come from before realizing that it had been Kaede.
 
“What, pray tell, is so funny, Kaede?” Kagome asked. “I have no idea what it means and Mama and Gramps won't tell me. Do you know who it is?”
 
“Ye know very well, child, that even if I did know who was destined to be your love, I could not tell ye. Just ignore this old woman. I have waited for a very long time for this moment is all.”
 
Miroku looked at her skeptically before continuing. “When the priestess with the power over time becomes whole once more, which is referring to your soul, correct?” Kagome nodded.
 
“When Kikyo died and my soul was made whole that is what allowed the next stuff to happen.” She glanced at Inuyasha for a moment, seeing the depressed look that swept into his eyes for a moment before he hid it away.
 
“She will experience three things. The true journey cannot begin until: The seven treasures give a love before unknown.” Miroku stopped there and smiled again.
 
Kagome returned the smile. “This is where the interesting part comes in. You guys,” she motioned to the pups, “you are the first requirement.” She started to roll up her left sleeve, showing off her marks. “There are seven of you and each one is a treasure, and when you all marked me you gave me the love you…” She stopped there, not wanting to say the wrong thing.
 
Sesshoumaru, on the other hand, knew. “They gave the love of a mother, which had before been unknown because they have not had one.”
 
Kagome nodded softly, looking over to the pups who were all absolutely beaming. They were meant to mark her. That had to mean she was meant to be theirs, right? Akihiro held the biggest smile of all. He had spotted his father's confusion a few moments earlier. He had yet to tell his father about the auras. She was definitely meant to be their mother because she was destined to be with their father who was her Sakimitama and her soul-mate. He couldn't wait to tell everyone!
 
Miroku started again. “A great power gives the gift of the night sky.”
 
“Anyone wanna risk a guess?” Kagome smiled again.
 
It was Isamu who managed to get the words out first. “Father! It's you father! You're a great power! Show them the mark, Kagome. Show them the one father gave you!”
 
Kagome smiled wider and unbuttoned the top three buttons, opening her shirt to reveal the mark on her chest.
 
“The night sky. How…startlingly accurate.”
 
“I know, Miroku. And it only gets worse. It is so weird to know that everything you've been doing all this time had been predicted and written down so long ago. Gramps said the thing was written a thousand years ago in my time, so five hundred years ago here. It is just weird!” Kagome looked over at Shippo who looked a bit sad. “Shippo, honey, don't worry. They didn't forget about you.” The kit's ears perked and he looked expectantly at the monk who took the hint.
 
“And the blue flame of Seven Treasures burns bright.” Shippo looked confused for a moment.
 
“Honey, do you know what your name means?” Shippo shook his head no. “Your name means seven treasures.” She rolled up her sleeve. “Your blue flame burns bright, right here, forever.” The little kit's smile nearly cracked his face before he leapt into her arms. Just hearing her say forever made his little heart thump with joy. She would be his Mama forever. She just said so!
 
“Wow! That's your mark, Shippo? It's beautiful!” Sango was admiring the bright blue-green flames. It really did look as if foxfire was dancing around the red fox print. Shippo nodded his head proudly before snuggling into his miko Mama again.
 
“Go on, Miroku. It's almost done.”
 
Nodding, he continued. “Once these events have occurred, the priestess may learn of her fate and mission. So that is why they couldn't tell you.”
 
“Yep. I had to become marked and bonded by nine very specific demons before they could tell me. Mama knew the second she saw me that it was time.”
 
“She will be given the Arrow of Destiny to always point her in the right direction. She must then follow where it will lead her, to find that which will form the bridge of powers, initiating the transformation necessary to defeat the great evil to redeem the great priestess.” Miroku rolled the scroll back up again before passing it to Kagome. “So, did she give you this arrow? And do you know what it means by bridge of powers to initiate the transformation?”
 
“Yes, she gave me the arrow, and no, I don't know. I don't get to know what I am looking for until I find it. I know, right? Too many secrets. And I have no idea what kind of transformation it means either. But at least we know that we are meant to be the ones fighting against Naraku and fixing the jewel. That's something.”
Everyone nodded.
 
Kaede cleared her throat, causing everyone to look at her. “Yes, ye are all meant to be together, even Lord Sesshoumaru, Rin, and the young lords. Trust me when I say, Rin, that ye are just as important to Kagome's quest as everyone else, even if ye were not mentioned in this scroll.” Everyone looked at Rin who did look a little down. She had been the only one not included at all. As Kaede's words sunk in her smile started to return. “Kagome will need you all by her side. You are the fuel for her fires. You all form her heart. Her love for you all is the source for her great power. Inuyasha, you must allow the joining of the packs as the pups must remain with her.” `And so must Sesshoumaru,' she thought. `After all, Kagome will be needing her Sakimitama.' Choosing to keep those particular thoughts to herself she continued on. “She was meant to save them and bond with them, just as every other step was meant to happen as well.”
 
“Kaede, what do you mean by this scroll? Is there another one I don't know about yet?”
 
“There is much you still do not know, child. And Rin is just as important a part as everyone else.” Looking at Rin she added, “I promise ye, young one. Your path has already been well established, just as Shippo's was the second he was born and named.” Kaede looked them all over on by one. “Ye all shall see soon enough.”
 
Kagome nodded at this. “Of course Rin is just as important. I couldn't make it without her too!” She smiled at the little girl who joined Shippo in her lap. “So now things are even more complicated than just looking for the shards and Naraku. I'm sorry, guys, really I am. I know I cause more trouble than I'm worth.”
 
Surprisingly, it was Inuyasha who cut her off. “Don't be sorry Kagome. If anything this is good news. This means that we are meant to kill that bastard. Whatever we have to do before we can do that is fine with me, especially if it's going to make you stronger. I don't want anything happening to you during the final battle. Now, come on wench! Let's see this damn arrow!”
 
Kagome couldn't help but laugh. “Thanks, Inuyasha. I'm really glad you're not mad and that I have your support. I couldn't do it without you. I know that without the prophecy to tell me. I will always need you. You're not just my embodiment of courage, you are my courage. You give me the strength to fight. Always have.” Kagome watched as Inuyasha blushed and issued a `Keh' before she pulled the long, thin, sealed box out of her bag.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
He wasn't here! She had finally arrived at the palace she knew was the home of the demon lord and her only chance for salvation. But he wasn't here! Where could he have gone? Perhaps he had already gone after Naraku. The bastard had killed all seven of his sons. Maybe he was on his way right now. But he didn't know where Naraku was hiding! She had to find him and help him. She would guide him right to the castle gates and Naraku's death.
 
She took flight once again, trying to figure out where Lord Sesshoumaru would have started looking. Maybe he hadn't gotten too far. She would search the whole of the west first and if she failed to find him then she would approach that half-breed brother of his. Maybe he would know.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Miroku and Kaede looked on with reverence while those with demonic heritage felt their skin crawl a bit. There was a lot of power in that box, leaking out even with all the sutras that kept it closed. “Mama said I should wait to open this until I was here with you guys. I don't really know how to do it though.” She looked up to the monk and the elder miko. “Do I just pull off the sutras?” Kagome didn't have a chance to get an answer. She watched in awe as the sutras peeled themselves off one by one before dissolving into the air like glitter or fairy dust spread on a breeze. When they had finished she very carefully lifted the lid to reveal the most beautiful arrow she had ever seen. The shaft was made of a dark red wood that looked as if it had just had been polished moments ago. The tip gleamed in the sunlight and appeared to be solid silver, also highly polished. The feathers at the end were black, as black as her own hair, and perfectly formed. Everything about the arrow was perfect. There was a small scroll wrapped around the shaft which Kagome unrolled as she lifted the arrow. Reading over it, she found it to be instructions for use of the arrow. One again she handed the scroll to Miroku who looked at it and then back at her in confusion.
 
“What are you waiting for, Miroku? Read the scroll!” Sango sounded rather impatient.
 
“I can't my dear Sango. It's blank.”
 
Kagome's eyes were ripped from the arrow to look at the monk as if he had two heads, maybe even three. “What do you mean, blank? I just read it!” Miroku handed it back to her and she looked at it again. “It's definitely not blank!” She handed it to Sango, who, though she couldn't read, figured she could at least solve the blank or not issue.
 
“Kagome, Miroku's right. There is nothing written here.” Once again it was handed back to Kagome. She looked utterly confused and Sesshoumaru could feel it. He held out his hand for the scroll and looked at it. He could see the words just fine. Before reading it he passed it to Shippo, who opened it. He shook his head in the negative and passed it on to Isamu, who passed it to Yuudai, and so on until it came through Inuyasha and to Kaede. It was blank to all of them. Kagome looked at him as he took the scroll back from the elder miko.
 
“While this Sesshoumaru knows not why, I too can see the writing.”
 
He heard a whisper across his mind, `Maybe it's because of the youki? Mama said we might still have the connection.' Her voice was so low he strained in his own mind to catch her words.
 
He looked at her then before deciding to see if she could hear him. He concentrated on her before thinking, `Kagome, how is it that I can hear you again?'
 
She looked surprised when her eyes lifted to him. “Mama was right,” she whispered.
 
Inuyasha had had just about enough of the odd silence and the looks. “What was your Mama right about, wench? And what's with the eyes?”
 
“Huh?” Kagome asked intelligently. Inuyasha simply glared at her. Finally she realized what he had asked, with a little help from the soft sexy voice in her mind. “Nothing important. I'm just surprised that Sesshoumaru can see the words but no one else can. It can't be because of the marks, or you guys should see it too.” She nodded at the pups. She didn't want to tell anyone that she could talk in her mind to Sesshoumaru or that he could talk back any more than she wanted to tell about Kazue. Maybe less. Their link could come in handy during battles or other tough situations
 
“Perhaps it is the bit of youki ye still carry?” Both Kagome and Sesshoumaru looked at Kaede in shock. “What? It is possible that it created a further connection. You did mention that while you were unconscious you had shared your thoughts and memories, which is what allowed Lord Sesshoumaru to send the visions to Inuyasha.”
 
“I suppose it's possible,” Kagome responded while nodding. Do not confirm or deny was all that would go through her head. “Go ahead and read it then, Sesshoumaru.”
 
Looking over at her with an odd look in his eyes for a moment he then turned back to the scroll. “It says: Only she who the prophecy foretold may wield the arrow of destiny. It shall guide no other. She must prick her finger on the tip, allowing her blood to coat the arrow head before she may use the arrow to lead her. Once she has done so, she must move to set the arrow on the ground. It will then direct the new great priestess to her destination. New blood must be given at each use to protect that which she will seek as well as any who may stand guard.”
 
“So you have to cut yourself every time? I suppose it is a good idea though so no one else can use it if they managed to steal it from you.” Sango was still entranced by the arrow. She had never seen such a perfect arrow before either. “It's absolutely beautiful!”
 
“And powerful as well,” Miroku added. Kagome wrapped the scroll back around the shaft and lowered the arrow back to its place in the box. As soon as it touched the velvet again all sensations of the power it was giving off ended, as if its power had died or disappeared. “And apparently also good at hiding its presence.”
 
Kagome nodded at him as she placed the box back in her bag. “There's just one last thing. Sango, you wanted to know how I knew Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha were getting ready to fight with Kouga from the other side of the well? My father, when he left, gave my mother the coolest thing. It's like a crystal ball, or even like Kanna's mirror, now that I think of it. She let me try it. All I had to do was focus on who I wanted to see and it showed me what they were doing on this side of the well right at that moment. And I saw a red-eyed Sesshoumaru giving a death glare to Kouga's back while he yelled at Inuyasha, who looked ready to kill him too. That's why I came back right then.” Then silently she added, `And that's how I knew you and the boys left after we fought.'
 
Sesshoumaru was sucked into his thoughts for a moment, remembering the odd sensation he had experienced on his return to the palace when he had been sure he had heard her voice and felt her caress. Was it possible that it really had happened? Did she know that he had sensed her? She had seemed surprised when she realized could still communicate silently so maybe she didn't. He would have to remember to ask her later.
 
“That's interesting. So your mother can use it to check on your father?” Sango asked.
 
“Yeah, and she uses it to check on me. That's how she knew I wasn't in trouble and that things were finally happening.”
 
“I see. But do tell, Lady Kagome, who was it that you were trying to see in the crystal? You told us you saw Lord Sesshoumaru, Inuyasha, and Kouga, but surely you had not thought on all three?” The hentai smirk in the monk's eyes gave away his thoughts to everyone. Kagome had chosen to look in on one of the three males, but which one had her attention?
 
Kagome blushed before looking at Sango who smacked the wayward monk upside the head. “Mind your own business, Monk!” She had barely finished her sentence before she hit him again, this time much harder and with her fist. His hand had found its favorite place on her ass. Really he couldn't help it. She just looked so damn sexy when she was mad! He fell backwards and lay there motionless watching the pretty little birdies circle his head. That one was sure to leave a mark but it was worth it. It was always worth it.
 
“Soooo, then is anyone hungry? Wow, look at the time! It must already be past dinner time. It's already getting dark! Funny how time flies, huh?” Kagome rambled on as she tried to avoid the gaze of both Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru. Of course it was a bit more difficult to ignore Sesshoumaru since he happened to be able to talk inside her head. Yeah, he held a bit of an advantage on the hanyou there. Still, she refused to answer either and instead set about starting up the fire to make dinner for everyone.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Somewhere to the north in a very secret and hidden location, a man with short midnight black hair and ocean blue eyes smiled a very familiar smile. The box had been opened and the arrow had been held by its intended owner. He had been waiting for nearly ten years, having left just after the birth of his son. Now, things had been set in motion. She would be coming and he would finally see her again. It had been so long that he had begun to fear that something had happened to her, that she would be unable to fulfill her destiny. The relief he felt encompassed his entire form. She was still alive. She had met the requirements. And now she knew his secret. He only hoped that someday she could forgive him for leaving her and that she had forgiven her mother for keeping the prophecy from her. He wondered what she looked like, what his son looked like. He would be almost ten years old. He had missed so much. But hopefully he would be able to make it up to all of them. Now he just had to wait. By now he was good at waiting.