InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ She Who the Prophecy Foretold ❯ A Mother's Message and A Son's Secret ( Chapter 39 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 39 - A Mother's Message and a Son's Secret
 
 
Happy 23rd Birthday to Seshomaraufan!
 
 
Kagome had eventually forced herself from her comfortable resting place to do some more studying. This time she read her science book and Sesshoumaru had chosen her history book. Once more he was rather disturbed by the complete lack of demons. There was no mention of them, even in the sections that spoke of what he had determined to be his time period. Eventually Akihiro had joined them and taken hold of her literature book. After several hours Kagome decided if she studied anymore her brain would leap out of her ear in protest and closed the book. The whole group of them returned to camp for lunch.
 
It wasn't too much longer before Jaken landed Ah Un in the clearing, sliding down from the two headed dragon before digging through the saddle bags, retrieving a bundle of scrolls. He toddled over to the seated demon lord, bowing low near his feet. “My Lord, I have retrieved the scrolls as requested and also have a message from the head servant. Everything in the palace is going smoothly. He did want me to inform you, though, that they had spotted the wind witch flying around a few days ago.” Sesshoumaru nodded and took the scrolls from his small green servant.
 
Kagome took the time to look over the children, deciding a bath was in order. “You guys are absolutely filthy. It's bath time. Come on. Everyone get something clean to change into. Sango, you want to join me?” Sango nodded and soon there was a small procession heading from the campsite to the hot spring. Kagome changed into her bikini in the bushes and ordered the boys into the water while having Rin face the opposite direction. When all the boys were in the spring Rin sat down beside Sango to chat while Kagome began a cycle, washing each boy's hair and making sure they washed their faces before handing them a bar of soap and a washcloth and moving on to the next. It took her nearly an hour to wash all eight heads and one tail and when they were finished, dried, and dressed Kagome sent them back to camp.
 
It was while they were dressing that Kagome took note of the differences in their clothing. She was surprised that she had never noticed it before. Each wore the same style of clothing as their father but each had a different combination of colors. They wore no armor and rather than a long flowing sash they each wore an obi that matched the lesser color of their attire. Yoshi's was the exact opposite of Sesshoumaru's, mostly red with the honeycomb and flower pattern in white on the collar, sleeves, and shoulder, his obi being white as well. Shin's was a light blue with dark blue detail, with a dark blue obi. Hisoka wore a deep forest green with white detail and Hitoshi wore white with the pattern in a reddish brown color. Akihiro wore white with royal purple detail. Isamu wore white with orange and Yuudai had white with yellow. Each one's colors seemed to suit their personalities and she found herself wondering if they had chosen the colors themselves or if they had been selected for some specific reason. She had never seen Sesshoumaru in anything but his normal white and red, even in the painting in her room at the palace or in the memories he had shared.
 
Once the boys had all gone, Sango and Rin then joined Kagome in the spring for their own bath. Kagome washed Rin's hair as well, taking extra care to remove all the snags. The energetic little girl actually managed to sit still while Kagome worked which made everything easier. When Rin was done she dried and dressed in another orange and yellow kimono, this one's pattern in squares where the previous had been circles. She was then carried back to camp by Kazue. Kirara remained with Kagome and Sango who were taking their time enjoying the heat of the water soothing their muscles.
 
The conversation was quickly directed to Sesshoumaru and Kagome, by Sango of course. “So, are you two getting to know each other then?”
 
Kagome nodded before dunking under the water to wet her hair. “Yeah, he's telling me about himself and his past and I'm doing the same. We're kind of taking turns. Oh, Sango. I feel so bad for him, too. His father wasn't very nice to him. His mother died when he was little. I never had any idea, you know? It explains, though, why he always seemed so cold. His father had trained him to be like that.”
 
“That's terrible. At least he's opening up then.”
 
“Yeah. It's nice that he trusts me enough to share such private things. His life hasn't been all flowers and sunshine, that's for sure. And Inuyasha thinks that everything came so easy for Sesshoumaru. I think half the problem between those two is jealousy. Each one is jealous of the other for things they had no control over. And it doesn't help that Inuyasha blames Sesshoumaru for his mother's death. He won't even let him try to explain things, either.”
 
“Inuyasha's had a hard time too, though. Maybe he's just afraid he'll end up hurt if he lets his brother in.”
 
“Definitely possible. I hope he comes back soon. The new moon is coming and he shouldn't be alone then. He could be attacked and there would be no one to help him.”
 
“I'm sure he'll come back. He seems to be having a hard time with the whole thing. You know the whole fight Miroku told you about was because he was suspicious of Sesshoumaru. Apparently he didn't agree when Miroku said he thought Sesshoumaru liked you. He was sure he was after something else entirely, even suggested he was after the jewel. And he said that pack and honor meant nothing to Sesshoumaru. I think that was what made him so upset. He flat out told Inuyasha he was interested in you and told him to keep him mouth shut about it. At least, that's how Miroku explained it.”
 
“So everyone knew he liked me before I did?”
 
“Just about. I'm sorry Kagome, but sometimes you just seem so naïve. It was obvious to Miroku and I. Even Inuyasha had suspicions, even if he didn't want to believe it.”
 
“I just can't understand why he likes me of all people. He could have any beautiful demoness he wants and instead he chose me? I'm not even that pretty. I'm just a human. And he said that I'm powerful but I'm not really. Inuyasha said so all the time. I'm nowhere near as powerful as Kikyo was.”
 
“You need to stop listening to Inuyasha. You know he didn't mean most of what he said. He apologized, didn't he?” She waited until Kagome nodded. “And you are most definitely pretty. You're beautiful, Kagome. And powerful. Just because you're not trained doesn't mean you don't have power. You're practically overflowing with it! Miroku and Kaede can sense it. They said there's like a well of untapped power in you just waiting to be let out. You are the one who is going to fix the jewel and kill Naraku. The scroll says so and it was right about everything else. You just need to have some more confidence! If only you could see yourself the way everyone else does.”
 
Kagome looked skeptical but eventually nodded. “I suppose. It's just; I spent the last two years being compared to a dead girl. If someone tells you something enough times eventually you start to believe it.”
 
“Well then I guess you'll just have to listen to Sesshoumaru over and over again until you believe him instead then. Because he's right. Inuyasha just doesn't know how to deal with his feelings honestly and you've always confused him. Can you hand me the shampoo?” Kagome gave her the bottle and then dunked to rinse the shampoo from her own foamy locks. The two fell silent as they finished bathing, Kagome having a lot to think about and Sango knowing it. By the time they had returned to the camp site it was getting dark.
 
“Sesshoumaru, can you sense Inuyasha yet? I'm getting worried about him.” She watched as he extended his senses again. When he shook his head no she spoke silently. `The night of the new moon is coming and he shouldn't be alone then.'
 
“I'm sure he will return soon. There is no reason to worry.” He watched then as Kagome and Sango made a quick dinner using the leftover meat from breakfast that had been cooking slowly in a pot all day, making it nice and soft. She read the children a few stories by firelight until her yawning took over making reading impossible. She and the children snuggled up together and fell asleep quickly.
 
Once they were asleep Sesshoumaru began reading the scrolls Jaken had retrieved. Nothing exciting had happened. His sentries had nothing new to report. No important news had been sent by the other lords. Using one of Kagome's books as a writing surface he pulled out the box holding the pens Kagome had given him and gave one a try, writing on the pieces of parchment Jaken had also retrieved. He found it quite easy to use and had written all his replies and instructions in no time. He rolled them all up and tied them together for Jaken to take back to the palace in the morning. As long as things continued on like this he would have no problems traveling with his new, larger pack. But then, it is always when you hope for peace and quiet that trouble comes to find you.
 
And speaking of trouble, he suddenly felt something that did not belong close to his camp, to his pack. He rose silently and, after getting Kazue's attention and telling her to be on guard, crept quietly towards the intruders. They were close by, too close for comfort and within seconds he had spotted them. The bees, saimyosho, that Naraku used as his spies were approaching. It was a small swarm, probably hoping to avoid detection. With just a few flicks of his wrist they had all been dispatched by his youki whip but he spent the rest of the night surveying the area carefully, making sure none had escaped him. He would not allow them to report back to the enemy.
 
~
 
When she woke Kagome did not immediately see the demon lord who had been sitting close by the night before. For a moment she was flooded with worry. Inuyasha had disappeared while she slept and now Sesshoumaru was gone as well. He had immediately felt her distress and returned. When she saw him enter the clearing she let out a sigh of relief. “I was afraid you had disappeared on me too.”
 
“This Sesshoumaru detected a small swarm of Naraku's insects during the night. I was making sure I had killed them all, that no more were lurking.”
 
“Oh. So then do you think Kagura was telling the truth? About Kanna and the mirror I mean?”
 
“It is a possibility. The wind witch has come to me several times requesting that I kill Naraku for her. She has even offered me shards in the past.”
 
“If she really did want to help us she could lead us to him. If he wasn't so good at hiding we may have killed him by now.”
 
“I do not believe we should trust her at the time being. There are other things that need to be done before you will face the hanyou.” Kagome nodded before standing, being careful not to wake the children as she disentangled herself. He watched her intently, waiting to see what she intended to do. It was still early, barely past dawn, and he had expected her to go back to sleep.
 
“So then you didn't sleep at all?” She looked concerned.
 
“This Sesshoumaru does not need to sleep every night. I am fine.”
 
“Are you sure?” The look her gave her said everything for him. “Alright, alright. Big strong demon. Doesn't need something as useless as sleep, right? Whatever, tough guy. You know, I had the weirdest dream last night.” He raised a brow at her, encouraging her to continue. “I was sitting on that bench in the garden. You know, where you gave me Kazue. And sitting there next to me was a beautiful demoness. I think it was your mother. She looked a lot like her in the memory you showed me, only she looked, I don't know, healthier.” She could see that she now had his full attention. “She was talking to me, or trying to, but I couldn't hear her. It was really strange. I could hear a few words every now and then but most of it was missing. But I don't think she was talking to me, really. She said your name a few times. I think she was trying to talk to you.”
 
“This Sesshoumaru had a similar dream several nights ago, the night after you passed through the well the first time.”
 
“So it was your mother then?”
 
“It was. I could not understand her either. I have never dreamt of her before.”
 
“Weird that I had it but she was talking to you. Maybe because you were awake all night and we share the connection. Do you think if we compared dreams we could figure out what she was trying to say?”
 
“It is possible. Since yours was most recent, you should share.” Kagome nodded before trying to remember the dream clearly, to remember everything she had heard.
 
When she had finished showing him the whole dream he spoke. “It was the same. The same words, the same things missing.”
 
“I wonder what she's trying to say. Do you have any idea? She said something about a dream she had, one she had told you about?”
 
“Yes, but this Sesshoumaru cannot remember. I have tried. She said something about something being buried and something about another scroll. To find the scroll.”
 
“Yeah, and then she said Akihiro. And hidden on a shelf? Maybe Akihiro knows where the scroll is? He did tell me he had read most everything in the library. Maybe it's hidden there?”
 
“It is a possibility. I will have to speak with him later. Perhaps he will have some idea.” She looked into his eyes, seeing the sadness hiding there.
 
“Sesshoumaru, I'm sure we will figure it out. Whatever it is, it must be important for her to try so hard to tell you. I'm sure you will be able to remember the dream she is talking about eventually. I always remember things as soon as I stop trying. Don't feel bad. She said she loves you. At the very end of the dream. That part was clear. She loves you Sesshoumaru, just like she did when she was alive. Right now that's all you need to remember.” She had stepped closer as she spoke until she stood now directly in front of him, only inches separating the two.
 
“Thank you, Kagome. You are right. At least I got to see her again, hear her voice again, even if I did not understand it all. She still loves me.” His arm slid around her waist and he pulled her closer. “There was one other thing that she spoke of that this Sesshoumaru now understands, and she was right. I love you, Kagome.” He leaned down and kissed her softly on the lips, just a touch before he pulled back to look into her eyes. He saw surprise there but happiness as well. The smile on her lips reached fully into her eyes, making her look all the more beautiful.
 
She didn't know what to say, but then she didn't really need to say anything at all. She could see just by looking at him that he was not waiting for a response. She wasn't ready yet, or even completely sure that she loved him but every day it seemed more and more right. She pushed up onto her toes to give him a quick kiss of her own before she slipped from his arms and moved towards the supplies. She picked up several empty water bottles and smiled again as she brushed past him on her way to the stream. As soon as she was out of sight everyone in the camp stopped pretending to be asleep, having each awoken some time during their discussion of the dream. Thankfully they had all missed their talking of shared memories, since neither of them had been paying attention to the others. Sango had a huge smile on her face but it was no match for the ones that dominated the faces of nine children at Sesshoumaru's declaration.
 
~
 
The old woman smiled as she worked, carefully forming the beads necessary. She had been rather surprised when he had asked for the necklace. She knew he would want to go through the well, but to be willing to give Kagome the power to subjugate him at her whim? That was something she had never envisioned. But as far as she knew it was the only way the well would grant him passage. It was necessary for Kagome to have a measure of control over any who passed through. It was like the great Kamis' way of making sure the future was safe from any who would harm it.
 
She wondered then for a moment if Kagome would even agree to use it. She would have to put it on him as well as activate it. What word would the young miko use to subjugate the great taiyoukai and Lord of the Western Lands, demon feared by all? She had been rather amused by the choice she made for Inuyasha. Really, sit! What could be more fitting for the unruly inu hanyou that acted more like a spoiled puppy most of the time? But for the distinguished and deadly demon lord? She couldn't wait to find out. It was sure to be equally amusing.
 
She hoped the beads would in fact be strong enough to subjugate him at all. He was substantially more powerful than his younger brother and even if he did allow its use it was not guaranteed to work. It used the young miko's powers which Kaede knew to be abundant but she was unable to control most of it at her whim so it might not be enough. If something of his was included in its assembly then perhaps it would work with his own power as well. Deciding it would be worth a try she rose from her resting place and exited the hut, looking for a villager who would be willing to run a tiny errand for her. Once she spotted the young man and got his attention she made her request, to which he hesitantly agreed. He knew there were demons in the forest, more than usual. But he also knew that the sweet little miko Kagome, though a bit strange was there as well and he was sure she would keep him safe. For some reason she tended to be surrounded by demons, though they did not seem to pose her any danger. He was looking forward to seeing her again, even if it was just a glance. Perhaps he would even get a chance to speak with her if he was lucky enough. He said a silent prayer to the Kamis before he headed out of the village in the direction the elder miko had indicated.
 
~
 
Sesshoumaru watched Kazue follow after Kagome before turning to his sons, meeting eyes with Akihiro. “I need to speak with you,” he said and Akihiro nodded before following his father out of camp. They walked for a few minutes before he turned to look at his son. “Did you hear what I intend to ask you?”
 
“About a scroll in the library? Yes father. I am not sure though if I know of the one you are looking for. Did she say what it pertained to?”
 
Sesshoumaru thought for a moment, trying to remember the exact words he had heard. “She said `Find the scroll…Akihiro…hidden in the…shelf. It will explain…the human child…to find.'”
 
Akihiro thought for a minute. “Do you think she's talking about Rin? The human child, I mean.”
 
“It is possible.”
 
“I need to think about it for a while, father. I read many scrolls in the library but none come to mind right now that could be the one you would be looking for.” Sesshoumaru nodded and turned to walk back to camp. “Wait, father. There is something else I would like to speak to you about.” His father nodded and he continued. “Two things really, but one has to do with the other. When the monk was reading the scroll, when he mentioned Sakimitama you looked worried. But you shouldn't be. You are it, father. You are her embodiment of love. I am certain of it.”
 
The taiyoukai felt his heart speed up a bit. “And how are you so certain?”
 
“Well, first the clues. Known but unknown. She has known you since almost the very beginning of her time here, right father?” He waited for a nod and when he received it he continued. “But she didn't really know you. She's just really getting to know you now. And you fought your feelings for a while before you accepted it. You accepted your place after she saved us, right?”
 
Again Sesshoumaru merely nodded, his head now swimming in thought. Was it possible that Akihiro was right? Was the miko destined to be his? The very idea was enough to make his heart race. She had been responding so well to him the last few days since he had admitted his feelings to her, but to know that it was meant to be in the same way as she had been meant to be pulled through the well and meet her other companions, then she was sure to allow him to court her. She was sure to become his mate. The thought of there being no chance of rejection made his confidence jump up to new before unknown levels.
 
Akihiro had watched silently as his father allowed the information to sink in. Once he was sure he could hold his attention again he spoke once more. “Father, that is not all. When she came through the well when the wolf was there I saw the most amazing thing. Your aura and hers met, but instead of fighting against one another like I had expected, like a miko and youkai's should, they mixed. Your auras wrapped around each other, appearing to be building off of each other. It was beautiful. You know what that means, don't you father?” He watched his father for a response but he didn't seem capable to make one at the moment. “Your auras reacted to each other like only bonded youkai soul-mates should. For that to occur, your souls had to have recognized each other. She is your soul-mate.”
 
Silence filled the clearing again as the information swirled in his mind. He had always found her aura calming but he had been too distracted to notice how his had interacted with her own at that moment. Now that he thought back, though, he could remember the feeling. It had felt as if they were, for a moment, not two beings but one, as if nothing had separated them, as if nothing could. Inside his beast was gloating rather loudly about how he was right all along. When he finally managed to shake his thoughts clear and get his beast to shut up for a minute he nodded at his son before turning and walking back to the camp. Akihiro smiled at his father's back for a moment before following. Things were going to turn out perfectly. He was sure of it.
 
~
 
When Kagome returned with the newly filled water bottles she was met by two very excited young demons who were nearly bouncing up and down. “What is it? What are you two so excited about?”
 
“We wanna show you…” Isamu started.
 
“Our training! We've been practicing…” Yuudai went on as the two continuously finished each others thoughts.
 
“Really hard so we can help…”
 
“Keep you safe! Can we…”
 
“Show you?”
 
Kagome smiled at the two youngest and nodded. “Sure. I'd love to see what you've practiced.” She sat down and watched as the show began. The twins punched and blocked, attacked and dodged each making use of their youki whips, a skill they had inherited from their father. She watched as they moved with demon speed. They weren't as fast as Sesshoumaru who could literally disappear and reappear in a new location but their speed was still impressive. They moved as if they were one, each fully anticipating the next move of the other just as well as they could finish each others thoughts. When they finished the two bowed low and Kagome clapped and congratulated them both. She then opened her arms to them and they made themselves comfortable in her lap, one sitting on each leg as she sat cross-legged. She had her arms wrapped around them both, making them the happiest kids around at the moment.
 
She watched as Sesshoumaru reentered the clearing looking rather dazed. Akihiro followed a bit behind, looking as if he had just found a whole new room full of books and scrolls, a huge grin on his face.
 
“What are you so happy about Akihiro?”
 
He glanced at her, surprised for a moment, before answering. “Oh, no reason really. It's just such a beautiful day, don't you think?” He smiled widely at her and his little brothers before settling under a tree, having claimed a textbook once again.
 
 
 
 
 
Author's Notes: Thanks again to every one who reviewed. Sorry no post yesterday but two today! I doubt you will hear from me tomorrow. We're going to a Halloween event at a shopping plaza where they trick or treat at all the stores. Destiny is looking forward to both face and pumpkin painting!
 
 
Bre - Journey starts after Kagome goes home for exams. There will be some chapter dealing with her time before she returns and they start to travel again.
 
Ginrei - I've got five pumpkins to do, now I have to figure out what to do for each one. Planning is half the fun! I'll try to remember to take pictures of them right after I finish them so they're still nice looking. Gonna be taking pictures of the kid anyway.
 
Arryelle - I'm glad you would tell me the truth if they suck. The longer they sit on the computer the more nervous I get but when I read over them I still think they're pretty good. I feel kinda bad making InuNoTaisho all mean and stuff but it was necessary. Maybe I'll make it up to him in another story someday.
 
Sandra - Inuyasha will be coming back into play soon. Sesshoumaru and party plans? Who knows. Maybe, maybe not. No problem if you don't get to review everyday. I know you've all got lives.
 
Syoze - Yes, the beast is coming back. He's been laying low because he wasn't really needed at the moment, except when Kagome was attacked but I didn't think that scene warranted beast/sess dialogue.
 
Ceira - You've been added to the list. I'm glad you found the story and even more glad that you like it!
 
Kawaii Kilala - She crawled into the pumpkin? How cute! I hope you got a picture! My kid isn't afraid of anything either. I try to keep her from watching anything too terrible but she tends to watch the csi's, bones, criminal minds, ncis. All my regulars. She actually seems to follow the story if I'm not sending her to play and not watch. Never has nightmares either. She's a tough little cookie. About Kagome not feeling the shard, I haven't decided completely on an explaination yet. But then she wasn't paying attention and sometimes they've snuck up on her before so maybe it was just a fluke. I don't know yet. Glad you don't feel your reviews are ignored. I absolutely love to read everyone's thoughts and respond, even though some days it takes forever.
 
Miranda - Bedtime ritual, eh? I can't imagine much better than reading about Sesshoumaru in hopes of dreaming of him too. Definitely better than my weird ass dreams. I was dreaming about giant exploding pepto bismol pills a few nights ago.
 
Lester - Kagome's dad isn't a bad guy. I was talking about Inu and Sesshy's dad. Some people don't like how mean I made him. Sorry to confuse ya!
 
Jean - Yeah, a definite jerk in this one. It's rather hard for me not to see him in some bad light with the whole two women thing.
 
Aimee - I agree. Something made the ice prince freeze in the first place.
 
Forfirith - Puppy love is fun to write. The boys are all just too cute in my humble opinion of my own creations.
 
Not needed - I topped the doughnut one with giant exploding pepto bismol pills. And all the people in the dream were people I haven't seen for ten years! Glad you understand he had to be mean for this to work.
 
Dee - It's definitely going to be interesting to see how Inuyasha responds to it all.
 
Kagome-Chan - Thanks for all the sweet words. Someone else said I should write a real book too. Maybe I'll have to seriously consider it if you all keep this up. Oh, and I've read some of your stories in the past! I always think its cool to get reviewed by a name I recognize!
 
Ladydeath - I could never keep inu away for good. I love him too much. He's just being pouty.
 
Monk-miko - I figured you all would like the tree thing. A couple people are curious about the birthday thing and how inu will react to everything. Hints are fun! Can't wait for Halloween. So my favorite day of the year. But I did manage to write a chapter and a half last night, big battle scene and character death and everything. And now everyone will be dying to know who I killed.