InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Every Heart ❯ Chapter 22

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Disclaimer: The Inuyasha concept, story, and characters are copyright Rumiko Takahashi and Viz Media.

The characters Snegura, Ryûtatsu, and the villagers of the western lands are original to this story.

The title “House of the Moon” is original to Resmiranda’s
Tales from the House of the Moon. It is used here in homage to said fantastic story.

This is merely one girl’s dream of life after “The End.”




Inuyasha cast his watchful gaze across their makeshift camp. Miroku and Sango were lying across the fire, Kagome positioned just under the tree in which he was currently residing. The humans were still asleep, even as the fire was burning on its last embers.

He gave the air a speculative sniff. Something was wrong. He knew it was morning, but the sky was still dark.

Silently, he slid down from his perch, moving close to Kagome. She wore a watch, and he’d seen her checking it before, especially when she first woke up. He knew what the face of it was supposed to look like at this time of the morning, even if he didn’t understand the significance of the numbers. Luckily for him, her arm was lying freely near her face; he could look at it without disturbing her…

“Inuyasha.”

He grabbed Kagome’s wrist with more force than he intended, startled at the sudden outburst.

“What?” he growled, swiveling around to face the pair across the dying fire.

“It’s morning.” Miroku was sitting up, gazing at him with some measure of interest.

“Hmph.” Inuyasha released Kagome’s wrist, leaving her to continue sleeping. He knew she was exhausted from their nonstop travel, and that she would need all of her strength if they did indeed have to do battle.

“I’m sensing a deep demonic aura in this place,” Miroku continued, letting his eyes rise skyward. “It seems to be strongest coming from the mountain.”

Inuyasha nodded grimly. “Yeah, I don’t like the looks of this,” he agreed. “Whatever it is, it’s enough to block out the sun.”

Their eyes met over the sleeping forms of the girls. They made a silent pact of protection: for their beloveds, for each other, for the safety of the village. They both knew, whatever it was they were stepping into, it would lead into an awesome battle. One that would test their strength, their courage, perhaps even their lives. This was a feeling once familiar to them, from the days of battling Naraku.

Inuyasha nodded once. “Let’s move out.”

~*~

The demon-slayers moved steadily in their pursuit of the mountain. Miroku, Sango, and Kohaku were riding Kirara, while Inuyasha carried the still-weary Kagome on his back. They climbed cautiously, commenting on the still-black sky, the uneasiness that filled them all.

“I don’t like surprises,” Inuyasha muttered as they neared the summit.

What they saw instead was a complete ambush.

Wave after wave of perfectly-formed dragon warriors fell upon the House of the Moon, overwhelming the castle guard and assembled support. They attacked mercilessly, with no regard for their own lives. Their numbers seemed endless, climbing out of the sea with relentless force. The clang of metal upon metal was high in the air, the stench of demon blood becoming overwhelming.

“It’s like they’re clones,” Kagome whispered as the group watched the attack in awe. “Where could they possibly be coming from?”

Their attention was drawn to the sea, where a gigantic dragon youkai was looming over the scene. His body was covered in gleaming white scales, his eyes flashing red, his tail swishing around in the ocean, making the water churn angrily. The dragon warriors were emerging from the sea directly in front of him, as if being birthed by this demonic body.

“What’s going on?” Sango called out in an uneasy voice. “Why is this youkai attacking the House of the Moon?”

Inuyasha shook his head. “No idea,” he replied. “And it doesn’t look like we want to get involved. Just keep your eyes peeled for Rin. She’s our main concern right now.”

“Right.” The word was uttered simultaneously by the whole of the group. They continued to watch from the safety of the side of the mountain, even as the battle threatened to spread their way.

Koga emerged from the castle, brandishing his never-used sword. “You came spoiling for a fight, eh, Ryûtatsu?” he mocked, taking an experimental swipe with the weapon. “I’ve always wanted to give this thing a try!”

Ryûtatsu laughed, shooting fire into the depths of the dark sky. “You believe you can threaten me, you lousy little wolf?” he howled. “With a human’s discarded sword, even? Don’t make me laugh!” His tail fell heavily into the sea, causing a gigantic wave to crash against the cliff wall.

“I know you have her,” he continued, turning serious. “Give me the girl!”

Koga scowled at him. “You laugh at a human weapon, but you want a human child? What are you after, you overgrown rodent?”

Ryûtatsu’s eyes flashed. “She holds the Shikon jewel, the secret of Sesshoumaru’s power! I will have the jewel, and I will destroy that mangy mutt once and for all,” he declared angrily.

Kagome gasped, her hands flying to the jewel, which lay in its protective pouch around her neck. “He thinks Rin holds the jewel?” she whispered frantically.

Inuyasha growled. “She’s in even more danger than we first thought,” he said. “Damn that Sesshoumaru! How could he leave her at a time like this?”

He coiled himself low against the side of the mountain. “We’re going in,” he called to the others. “We’ve got to find Rin before this Ryûtatsu character does!” He leapt away, into the fray, hardly noticing when Kirara followed.

Meanwhile, Koga was holding his ground as best he could. He glared up at Ryûtatsu, determined to find his weakness. It’s strange that he doesn’t move away from the sea, he speculated as he watched yet another wave of dragon warriors coming toward the castle. Sesshoumaru’s castle guard was getting a workout; he’d long ago sent for his own command to assist them. With any luck, they would be arriving soon.

He struck out as the soldiers approached him. He had little training with this sword, preferring to rely on his strength, claws, and fangs when in battle. His blows were erratic but effective; the dragons fell in their place as soon as they were hit. The stench of blood met his nose, making his eyes water. He glanced down. What the hell? he thought, kicking a piece of the body closest to his foot. Is this made of mud or something?

He had little time to continue this train of thought; another line of warriors was headed his way. He leapt into the air, spinning around, keeping an eye on Ryûtatsu’s movements. The taiyoukai stayed firmly planted in the sea, using what appeared to be every ounce of his strength to keep the elements of nature fully engaged.

“Koga!”

He whipped around at the sound of his name, shocked to see Inuyasha and Kagome approaching him at full force. Both demons landed in relative safety on a nearby treetop, their eyes trained to the battle before them.

“What’s going on?” Kagome asked. “Where’s Rin?”

Koga could only stare at her for the moment. It had been months – years, it seemed – since he’d last seen her, but the full force of his emotion crashed back into him as he looked at her. She was incredibly beautiful, even now, in the midst of a bloody battle. “Kagome, I’m thrilled to see you again,” he said, ignoring her frantic questions. “It’s been too long.”

Inuyasha slapped Koga’s approaching hands away. “Focus, wolf,” he bit out. “Rin. Where’s Rin?”

Koga shook his head, trying to gather his thoughts together, as well as rid himself of the image of Kagome wearing Inuyasha’s haori. If I look again, maybe it won’t be there, he thought to himself, chancing another glance at her. He bared his fangs when he realized his wish would not be granted.

“Rin and Shippo are safe,” he ground out, averting his eyes once again. “When Ryûtatsu first appeared, Shippo gave him quite the show with his foxfire to get Rin out of danger. They are with Jaken. I told them to stay inside the castle.”

“But look,” Kagome cried out, one shaking hand extending before them. “The dragon warriors are breaking through the castle guard!”

Koga winced, pushing himself up in the air once again, releasing a huge, loud, howling cry to his comrades. Hurry, he called to them. We are in mortal danger!

Ryûtatsu laughed once again as he heard Koga’s cry for help. “I have endless legions under my command,” he shouted. “I will find that girl, and when I do, you’ll wish you had every force in the world at your call!”

“Shut up, you overgrown insect!” Inuyasha grumbled, shrugging out of Kagome’s hold. He leapt up, brandishing Tessaiga in both hands. “Let’s see how you do against a real sword!” He released the wind scar, the attack carried by the strong gales blowing off the ocean.

It had little effect on Ryûtatsu, who was able to slow the approach of the attack with his command of nature. “Get out of my way,” he sneered, one claw rising out of the water to slap Inuyasha away, as if he was no more nuisance than a gnat.

“Inuyasha!” Kagome screamed, watching as his body flew across the sky and landed on the far side of the castle. She scrambled towards the trunk of the tree, determined to get to him and make sure he was okay.

Koga grabbed her arm. “Kagome, wait,” he said, pulling her back toward him. He couldn’t look at her directly. “Inuyasha can take care of himself. It’s more important to make sure Rin stays safe.”

She began to protest, but he silenced her. “You know I’m right,” he said quietly.

She could only stare at him in disbelief. His voice was flat, unwavering, and he refused to look her in the eye. She’d seen the spark of shock when he realized how she was garbed, but not until now did she realize the full impact of it. It’s like he’s completely given up on me, she thought in amazement. He can barely stand to look at me, much less touch me!

She wasn’t sure how that made her feel.

But there were more important things to worry about just now.

“You’re right,” she said, soft determination in her voice. “Rin’s safety is the most important issue right now. Everything else can…wait.” She slid down from the tree, weaving between the warriors to make her way toward the House of the Moon.

Koga watched her leave, a new spark of speculation in his eye.

~*~

Inuyasha groaned heavily as he tried to sit up. That claw did a number on me, he thought grimly, looking at the untransformed Tessaiga with disgust. He won’t be an easy opponent to take down.

“Inuyasha! Are you okay?!” A being swooped overhead, blocking what little shadow of light he had. Slowly, the figures of the demon-slayers appeared before him.

Again, he attempted to right himself, a bit surprised to find that he’d created a trench with the force of his fall. “I’m fine,” he muttered, leaning heavily on his sword to stand. “We’ve got to get to Rin, though. Her life is in danger!”

Miroku and Sango nodded. “We know,” Sango said. “Kohaku is searching for her within the castle, but it seems those strange dragon soldiers have managed to breach the walls.”

Inuyasha gave her a curious look. “What’s so strange about them?”

Miroku shook his head. “They’re made of mud and blood,” he said, shrugging his shoulders in disbelief. “Some sort of magic is holding them together, but nothing more.”

Inuyasha glanced back at his brother’s home. “Maybe that’s why there are so many of them,” he speculated. “Emerging from the sea like hatched eggs.” There’s something…wrong about all this, he thought to himself.

“Let’s go,” he announced, sheathing his sword again and climbing onto Kirara’s back. Miroku and Sango hastily followed, and the demon-cat took off, flying back over the castle, back into the direct line of battle.

“Looks like Koga’s reinforcements have arrived,” Inuyasha noted as they flew overhead, watching the hordes of wolves coming across the mountains to the east. He turned his attention to Koga, who was still in the tree where they had their hasty conference. His brow furrowed. Where’s Kagome?

All thoughts – actions – battles – were interrupted at that moment, as three of the dragon warriors emerged from the castle, carrying a screaming, writhing child in their arms. She fought valiantly against their grip, but it seemed her squirming was all for naught, as they calmly carried her to the cliff wall.

Ryûtatsu looked down at them, his jaws parting, in some facsimile of a smile. “At last, I have you!” he said, one claw swooping down to grasp the girl. Arrows from the castle guard, bayonets from the warring wolves came at him, but none could break his stride.

Rin howled in horror as Ryûtatsu grabbed her, holding her securely in one gigantic claw. She struggled as best she could, pushing and pulling and biting, but nothing deterred him. He lifted her high in the air, bringing her to his eye level.

“Give me the jewel,” he commanded.

Rin went white as the blood drained from her head. “W-what jewel?” she stammered.

Ryûtatsu grinned maliciously as he tightened his grip on her. “The Shikon no Tama, the sacred jewel of four souls,” he said, emphasizing each syllable. “I know you have it.”

Kagome emerged from the castle at that moment, gasping for breath and holding one bloody arm. She, along with everyone else, watched in terror as Ryûtatsu threatened Rin high above their heads. The jewel was glowing warm against her chest; she could feel it, even through the protection of the haori pouch. Why does he want the jewel? she asked herself as her gaze slid between the dragon taiyoukai and the frightened girl.

Kohaku’s field of vision narrowed on the dragon and the girl, the background bathing in a sea of red. For a moment, he was eleven again, cowering on the ground of the Hitomi castle courtyard, scared out of his mind at the prospect of fighting such a great and large demon. He squeezed his eyes shut, his heart pumping wildly, his breath coming out in harsh gasps.

No, he told himself, willing his body to calm down. I can do this. I am a trained taijiya. He opened his eyes again, looking up at the malicious dragon. I promised them I’d save the girl, and I will.

“AAUUGGHH!” A warrior’s cry split the air, and Kohaku ran forward, his blade raised. He released the sickle, the chain tinkling behind it, aiming straight for Ryûtatsu’s stomach. It hit, piercing the dragon’s skin, and he pulled the chain taut.

“Release her!” he shouted.

“Kohaku!” Sango cried. She started to move forward, but Miroku contained her. She pushed against her husband’s protective embrace. “I have to go to him!” she cried, her eyes wild with worry and fear.

“No,” Miroku said. “It’s too dangerous for you!”

Sango continued to struggle. “He’ll be killed for sure!”

Miroku held her close. “He’s got to do this, to prove to himself he is his own master,” he told her. “Just trust me, please, Sango.”

A brilliant white light appeared on the horizon, growing stronger as it approached the battle from behind Ryûtatsu. The entire field was blinded as the light expanded, unfolding in a great show of youki.

Ryûtatsu felt the rush of power behind him, dodging the bullet (in the form of a sword) heading his way. He held Rin higher in the air, eliciting a scream from the girl as she moved closer and closer to the black clouds covering the sky.

A new voice entered the fray. “Sesshoumaru, stop!”

Ryûtatsu smiled again as he slowly turned around to face his new foe. “Late as usual, you mangy mutt,” he addressed Sesshoumaru, his eyes flashing with evil pleasure.

Sesshoumaru did not reply, merely adjusted his grip on his sword. His attention was focused solely on the creature before him.

Snegura was fast on his heels, reaching out to grasp his shoulders. “Don’t do it, Sesshoumaru! He has the girl in his clutches!”

Sesshoumaru shoved her away as his eyes shot up to Rin in Ryûtatsu’s aloft claw. His glare narrowed, focusing once again on Ryûtatsu as Rin screamed his name, calling for help.

Snegura fell back into the waiting arms of two sentinels, who grasped her as she protested their pull. She looked up at her betrothed, hoping he would keep his wits about him. Their journey from her homeland had been short, and she had never been able to quite keep up with him. He traveled at a relentless pace, and she could feel the force of his youki growing stronger as they approached his stronghold.

Ryûtatsu turned his attention to her. “And I see you brought that evil bitch with you,” he said. “Or did you come of your own volition, Snegura? Do you wish to gain revenge on me for slaughtering your useless grandfather?” He laughed, clutching Rin tighter in his claw as he did so.

The point of a sword hit the small of her back. The sentinel on her right was holding the threatening weapon to her. She gasped in surprise as it pressed into her flesh, but inwardly she smiled. Big mistake, boys, she thought, cutting her eyes back to Sesshoumaru.

Kohaku continued to pull on the sickle, buried in the dragon’s stomach, but Ryûtatsu paid him no heed. The chain was near its end, wrapped around the youkai’s massive body, as he faced away from the silent battlefield.

All eyes were on the situation in the air, where Snegura was held captive, Rin in the clutches of the villain, and Sesshoumaru in the middle of them.

“Which will it be, Sesshoumaru?” Ryûtatsu questioned him. “Your betrothed, or your human girl?” He cut off Rin’s strangled cry, tightening the grip around her. “You can only save one of them…which will it be?”