InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The 500 Year Engagement ❯ The 500 Year Engagement - Never Try To Blackmail a Tai-Youkai ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The 500-Year Engagement
Never Try To Blackmail a Tai-Youkai
By Majicman55
 
Disclaimer: The characters from InuYasha” are not mine; they are the intellectual property of Rumiko Takahashi, Shogakukan, Yomiuri TV, Sunrise, and Viz. I do not benefit financially from these writings. I just like to play with the characters.
 
 
“Get out of here!”
 
“Yes, Mr. Sato. Right away, Mr. Sato!” The girl in the cat suit backed out of the room and pulled the door closed just as an object impacted the other side.
 
Katashi stared into his own lap. There hadn't even been a stirring when the girl entered the room. “Damn it.” His phone rang. “Yeah?”
 
It was the cat-girl, again. “Mr. Sato?”
 
“Don't bother me!”
 
“There's a seedy-looking man here who insists on seeing you.”
 
“I'm busy.”
 
There was a pause. “He says he has information that could be worth a lot of money.”
 
Katashi growled, but told the girl to send the man in. Maybe the prospect of a nice profit would make him feel better.
 
A moment later, the door opened and the man stepped in, closing the door behind him. Mr. Sato's attitude didn't improve when he had to shift his position to avoid displaying a prominent tent in his pants. “So what is this precious information you have for me?”
 
The man was just opening his mouth when the phone rang again.
 
Mr. Sato snatched up the receiver. “What is it now?”
 
A man who says he took some photos for you said you might want to look at an email he just sent.”
 
“Yeah?”
 
The girl on the phone was obviously nervous and didn't like being the bearer of bad news. “He said you're not going to like it.”
 
“Now what?” Katashi frowned. “Yeah, yeah. Tell him I'll look at it. Now, no more calls till I tell you.”
 
“Yes, sir.”
 
Katashi waved offhandedly to the seedy man. “Go on.” He picked up his laptop and opened his mail program. There, right after the offer of help for erectile dysfunction (which annoyed Mr. Sato even more), was the email from the photographer. The message said, simply, “They're all like this.” There was one jpg file attached.
 
“I have discovered who one of the other girls is.”
 
“Hmm? Yes?”
 
“I said, have discovered the identity of one of the other girls.”
 
Mr. Sato opened the jpg file. It was a picture of two overweight men, wearing the same shabby lingerie the girls had been wearing, in a lewd embrace on the studio bed. He slapped himself in the forehead. “How? How did she do it?”
 
“Mr. Sato?”
 
Katashi's mood got worse as he noticed he was getting even harder while looking at the picture. He remembered that all his misfortune had started with the man who was now standing in front of him. “Whatever you found out, it had better be worth a lot of money.” If it was, he might let the man live.
 
“One of the other two girls is married to the extremely rich and reclusive owner of Sesshoumaru's Secret.”
 
Mr. Sato pondered the information. This Sesshoumaru was rich, and reclusive. Surely he wouldn't want his wife plastered all over the internet - not, ironically enough, in lingerie. It would mean unwanted attention. The sensational press would be all over it. And the girl would undoubtedly lobby for helping her friends out with their “problem.” Yes, it had…possibilities.
 
Besides, he wasn't done with that little shrine bitch. He remembered stories he read in high school, before he had dropped out: stories about priests and priestesses who had strange powers and fought youkai. Maybe there was more to this shrine stuff than he thought. Sure, the problem he (and the other men) had experienced could have been something like voodoo…where it was all suggestion…but that didn't explain why his gun wouldn't work, or how she had opened the locked door…or how the pictures were not just badly exposed (he looked at the screen again), but completely altered.
 
Yes, he would get hold of this shrine girl and force her to undo whatever it was she had done to him. And forcing her could be very…enjoyable.
 
But in the meantime, a little blackmail for profit couldn't hurt. He looked at the man standing nervously before him. “You may have just saved your own miserable hide.”
 
 
******************
 
 
“You know how to drive one of these carts, InuYasha?” The monk was being reticent about riding up front with the hanyou. Sango had described the trip with the girls and, although he felt he'd handle the experience better than the taijiya had, this was still InuYasha driving.
 
“Just get in, bouzu. You keep forgetting that Kagome and I lived our way to this time. I can even drive a stick, if I have to.”
 
“A…stick?”
 
InuYasha rolled his eyes. “There are two types of cars. Automatics shift gears for you. With a stick, you shift the gears yourself.”
 
“What are…gears?”
 
“NEVERMIND. I'm sorry I brought it up.”
 
The back doors opened and the girls got in. It had been decided that as long as they were going to see Sesshoumaru, everyone might as well come along. Kagome had even dug out Buyo's cat carrier so they could bring Kirara. The estate was large, and remote, and it would do the fire neko good to go on a romp.
 
“Let's go, InuYasha. Your brother's expecting us.”
 
“Right.”
 
 
******************
 
 
The trip to the estate took about an hour, once they got out of the city. Much to Miroku's amazement, InuYasha turned out to be a good driver. When they pulled up to the gate, the monk noticed a slight shimmer in the air a short distance inside it. “Is that a barrier?”
 
Kagome undid her seat belt and leaned forward. “Yes, it is. One of my own. Not as strong as the ones you're used to, but it doesn't have to be in this day and age.” She concentrated for a moment. “Don't worry. It will let us all through. It has a secondary purpose of disguising what's going on inside the compound. Specifically, no one outside can see anything that is youkai, inside.” Kagome turned to Sango. “Tell Kirara that if she stays inside the barrier, she can play to her heart's content.”
 
“Right.”
 
InuYasha pressed a button on the car's dashboard. There was a buzzing sound and then Jaken's voice came on.
 
“What do you want? Lord Sesshoumaru's time is valuable.”
 
“Yeah, yeah. He's expecting us.” InuYasha smiled. “In fact, he may be upset if we're not there when he expects us.” There was the briefest of pauses and the gate opened. “Thought that would do it,” muttered InuYasha as he drove up in front of his brother's mansion. Rin was waiting as he parked and got out of the car.
 
“I do hope Jaken wasn't being stubborn again.”
 
The hanyou opened the back door for Kagome. “Feh. When isn't he?” He noticed Miroku fumbling with the door handle and was about to help when the monk figured it out for himself. Fortunately, Miroku was familiar with the outside handle from before and had no difficulty helping Sango.
 
Once out of the car, the taijiya brought out the cat carrier and released Kirara. The fire neko mewed once; then transformed and flew up into the sky over the house.
 
“It is good to see you all again, and welcome to our home,” said Rin. “Fluffy is waiting for you in his study.”
 
“Fluffy?” said Miroku.
 
InuYasha grinned. “Oi. I wouldn't call him that, if I were you. Rin, here, is the only one who can.”
 
“And sometimes even I don't get away with it.”
 
Kagome was the only one who knew what Rin's smile really meant.
 
Rin opened the door. “Now, come with me.”
 
 
******************
 
 
“It is a pleasure to see you.”
 
Sango stood beside and just behind Miroku, obviously a little confused by what had happened. The monk stared at his hand, and then the tai-youkai standing in front of him, trying to resolve the Sesshoumaru he had known with the Sesshoumaru standing before him. The Great Lord of the Western Lands had shaken his hand?
 
“It is good to see you, too, Lord Sesshoumaru.”
 
“Tea?” Lord Sesshoumaru called Jaken on the intercom and ordered tea for everyone. “Please, sit down. Be comfortable.”
 
“Uh, thank you.”
 
“Miroku,” said InuYasha. “Try to remember that for us it has been five hundred years. My brother has mellowed.”
 
“InuYasha!”
 
The hanyou turned to his brother, who had stood and drawn himself up into a threatening posture.
 
“Know your place, InuYasha! Do not presume to state that this Sesshoumaru has, as you so crudely put it, mellowed.”
 
There was a tense moment in which both the taijiya and the monk audibly “gulped.” Then Sesshoumaru sat back down and he, Rin, InuYasha and Kagome practically rolled in laughter.
 
InuYasha pointed at the monk. “Gotcha!”
 
 
******************
 
 
Lord Sesshoumaru set his teacup down. “You said you had something to tell me.”
 
“Yes. It concerns Kagome, Midori, Sango…and Rin.” InuYasha watched his brother arch one eyebrow. “Kagome?”
 
“We had all gone to one of your shops. We had taken Sango shopping for modern clothes, and decided we should get her some lingerie. She and Miroku are getting married.”
 
“Indeed. That would be wise.”
 
Miroku smiled. “You approve of the match?”
 
Sesshoumaru tapped his nose. “I approve of parents being married.” The tai-youkai turned to the miko. “You should examine the child, Kagome. There is something…different…about it. Although I do not understand why, it seems to be part…youkai.”
 
Kagome's attention snapped to Sango, who also looked concerned. “Really?” She hadn't examined the child that closely yet…it being very early in her friend's pregnancy. Now she discovered the truth of the matter. She looked back at Sesshoumaru. “The child was conceived in the well. That is, while Sango and Miroku were traveling from their old time to here.”
 
“Yet this is obviously not what you wanted to tell me about.”
 
“Umm, right.” Kagome, a little embarrassed, looked down and returned to her story. “We finally got Sango over her nervousness, and she modeled for us. After that, one thing led to another and we all wound up trying on lingerie and modeling for each other. It got a little…wild.”
 
Kagome paused. When there was no response, she looked up. “Guys!” All three men were shaken from their reverie by a punch in the arm from their respective mates.
 
Sesshoumaru did his best to recover his dignity, but it wasn't working, at least not completely. “And?”
 
“And I don't know how many of your shops are affected, but that one had a hidden camera.”
 
Lord Sesshoumaru's aspect immediately turned deadly serious.
 
“Indeed.”
 
 
******************
 
 
A half hour later, Lord Sesshoumaru rejoined his guest, this time as they sat in the mansion's backyard.
 
“This Sesshoumaru has made some phone calls. All stores will be checked for hidden cameras after closing tonight. Serial numbers on the cameras and any other equipment found will be traced.” The tai-youkai's visage had taken on the cold look he had always shown in years gone by. “The matter will be resolved.”
 
The tai-youkai had returned to his old manner of referring to himself. Kagome felt sorry for anyone Sesshoumaru found. “Please don't kill anyone, Lord Sesshoumaru. It is not worth killing someone.”
 
“This Sesshoumaru will be the judge of that.” He turned to his mate. “How do you feel about it, Rin?”
 
Rin bowed slightly. “I abide by your judgment, Lord Sesshoumaru.” She looked up and met her mate's eyes. “Yet I agree with Kagome. A few photos are not worth killing someone.”
 
“Hn.”
 
Kagome told the story of her and Sango's kidnapping and what she had done to the men involved. This mollified Sesshoumaru and even caused him to laugh (which actually scared Miroku and Sango a bit), but did not lessen his determination to find the culprits and see that they never did anything like this again.
 
It was, after all, both disrespectful towards him and bad for business. He pressed the miko for any more details she could provide.
 
Kagome gave as good a description of the men as she could provide, especially of Mr. Sato. No, she didn't know if Mr. Sato was the one responsible for the cameras, but he knew about them…plus someone had been doing researching on her, and that could be troublesome for all of them. She also warned Sesshoumaru that all the men carried guns and she could only assume that they would be smart enough to load them with fresh ammunition.
 
“Hn. They cannot harm this Sesshoumaru with human weapons.”
 
InuYasha put his hand on Kagome's arm. “Keh. Maybe I should go with him.”
 
“This Sesshoumaru will permit it, but remember, they are my prey.”
 
 
******************
 
 
Mr. Sato picked up the new cell phone. He had to assume that this Mr. Sesshoumaru would have some resources, so he had ordered a phone purchased and brought to him for this one purpose. It had caused some delay, but better safe than sorry.
 
He entered the number provided by the seedy-looking man.
 
 
******************
 
 
Jaken stared at the phone grumpily. “That's the business phone. Should I answer it? Lord Sesshoumaru is outside with his guests.” Jaken preferred to deal with humans as little as possible, but decided he would have to answer this call. “Hello?”
 
“I demand to speak with Mr. Sesshoumaru.”
 
Jaken took the phone away from his ear and stared at it. Who was this human with the temerity to demand to speak with the great Lord Sesshoumaru? He put the phone back to his ear. “And who are you to demand anything?”
 
Mr. Sato took the phone away from his ear and stared at it. “What the?” He spoke into the phone again. “Listen, you little creep. I have something very important to Mr. Sesshoumaru…and you don't need to know who you're speaking with.”
 
Jaken put one hand over the mouthpiece. “The impudence!” He spoke into the phone again. “Know ye that ye are speaking with the lord high chamberlain of the vast estate belonging to the great Lord Sesshoumaru! Methinks ye shall make no demands on my master!”
 
“Either this guy's cracked or he's playing to an employer who's off his rocker.” Katashi had heard of Japanese industrialists who had gotten drunk with power and treated their employees like servants. “You just ask your `master' if he'd be interested in buying pictures of his wife.”
 
“Rin? Why would Lord Sesshoumaru want to buy pictures of Rin?”
 
“Listen, moron. Get your master now.”
 
“Vile human,” thought Jaken. “It's your funeral.”
 
 
******************
 
 
“Lord Sesshoumaru.”
 
“Yes, Jaken.”
 
The retainer held out a tray with a phone on it. “A call came in on the business line, Lord Sesshoumary. I took the liberty of answering it, and there is this despicable human was on the other end.”
 
“You think all humans are despicable,” said InuYasha.
 
“And hanyous,” sneered the toad. “This one is rather curious, though. He claims to have pictures of Rin he wishes to sell.”
 
Everyone stopped talking.
 
Lord Sesshoumaru picked up the phone. “Yes?” He listened impassively. “And you think I should pay you money for these pictures?”
 
There was an excited jabbering on the other end.
 
“Yes, I suppose I would not want your pictures of Rin available for just anyone to see.” Sesshoumaru listened for a moment. “Yes, as a businessman, I understand that you could make money charging people to see the photos…and you expect to be compensated for any loss of income. One hundred million yen?” The tai-youkai listened a moment longer. “No.”
 
There was a great deal more excited jabbering.
 
“I meant that I will deliver it to you at a place of my choosing.”
 
More jabbering.
 
“Mr. Sato...”
 
Everyone heard the voice on the other end of the phone this time. “How the hell do you know who I am?”
 
“That is something you do not need to know. Listen closely.” Sesshoumaru described how to get to a remote spot in one of the few wilderness areas that still existed in Japan. In this case, on one of the northern islands…one of the few small islands the former Soviet Union hadn't annexed at the close of World War II. The man on the other end of the phone objected. “You can take your choice, Mr. Sato. You can get your `reward' with a minimum of fuss, or you can make this…difficult.”
 
Sesshoumaru smiled and Jaken recoiled. “Lord Sesshoumaru only smiles that way when…”
 
“I thought you might see it my way. This Sunday at seven in the evening, then. Goodbye, Mr. Sato.”
 
 
******************
 
 
Mr. Sato hung up and wiped his brow. “And I thought that guy was crazy. He might be crazy, but he's crazy like a fox.”
 
Katashi Sato had the uneasy feeling that he had just wound up on the weak side of the negotiations. But…he did have the pictures.
 
He picked up the phone again and dialed. “This is Sato. Yeah. I'm going to need more men. About ten. No, make it a dozen.”
 
He described when and where he'd need them. “Make sure they have something more than a pistol. Oh, and I'm gonna need a boat, too. Yeah, I think that's it.” He started to hang up, but then snatched up the phone again. “Still there? Good. You got anyone who knows explosives?”
 
 
 
 
A/N: Hmmm. Mr. Sato thinks he's going to get something out of this…by blackmailing Sesshoumaru? Doesn't seem like a good idea to me. And what's all this about Miroku and Sango's baby having some youkai in it? What could that mean? Oh, and there's another character about to show up in the next chapter.
 
As always, please read and review. Thanks! Oh, and again, more reviews = more inspiration for new chapters.