InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The 500 Year Engagement ❯ The 500 Year Engagement - Meeting the Enemy ( Chapter 26 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The 500-Year Engagement
Meeting the Enemy
By Majicman55
 
Disclaimer: The characters from InuYasha” are not mine; they are the intellectual property of Rumiko Takahashi, Shogakukan, Yomiuri TV, Sunrise, and Viz. I do not benefit financially from these writings. I just like to play with the characters.
 
 
“I'm home!” Well, that wasn't exactly true. Kagome and InuYasha's home was next to Sesshoumaru's, and it was also where her mate had his studio…and where InuYasha was working now. Unlike in the “good ol' days,” one did have to make a living by something other than slaying fearsome demons.
 
Her mate was an artist. She had been a little surprised when it turned out that he was so good at it. Sure, he had the luxury of centuries to develop his talent, but she hadn't thought he'd have the patience. It had been a fortunate choice of careers, however. Artists were accepted even if they were reclusive and eccentric. Kagome smiled. There weren't many as eccentric as her InuYasha.
 
“You had a phone call, dear,” Mama Higurashi called out from the kitchen. “Someone named Kumiko.”
 
Midori followed Kagome to the kitchen where Mama was waiting. “Kumiko…doesn't she do catering or something?”
 
“She used to.” Kagome pursed her lips. “I think she's a sensei, now. She trains other people to do it.”
 
“Trying to drum up work for one of her students?” asked Midori as they walked into the kitchen. There were already two cups on the table. Mama indicated that the two girls should sit.
 
“Tea?”
 
Both girls nodded and sat. Kagome answered Midori. “I doubt it. Not at this late date. Kumiko would know that the catering was already arranged.”
 
“Kumiko is a child of yours, Kagome?” injected Mama.
 
Kagome sipped her tea absently. “Great-grandchild.”
 
Mama placed her hand over her heart and plopped down in one of the other chairs. This was taking a little getting used to. “Kagome?”
 
“Yes, Mama.”
 
“Just how many `greats' are there before my name?”
 
Kagome couldn't help smiling. “You don't want to know.”
 
 
******************
 
 
Kagome called the number for Kumiko. It was a good thing Mama had written it down. Kagome's address book was at home, and she didn't remember her great-granddaughter's number offhand.
 
“Moshi-moshi.”
 
“Kumiko, it's Kagome.” The miko's family had given up on using all the honorifics years ago. It was too confusing…not to mention that getting through them all made it difficult to carry on a conversation. Then there was the problem of how her descendants addressed each other. For convenience's sake, they had decided to address each other by name…keeping relationships in mind, of course…although, except for her own children, everyone called Kagome “Obaachan.”
 
“Oh, good. Preparations for the wedding going okay?”
 
“Hai. Mama is handling most of that. Are you coming?”
 
“I wouldn't miss it for the world, Obaachan - but I need to tell you about something very odd.”
 
“Odd?”
 
“Yes. I was hired to train workers for a startup catering business, but there were some very strange things about these…people.”
 
Kagome noticed the hesitation in her great-granddaughter's voice. “Like what?”
 
Kumiko related her impressions of the owners and their workers, including her observation that the help all smelled vaguely like fish. “And you're not going to believe this, but I think one of them tried to take a bite out of me.”
 
“Really.”
 
“However, the thing that bothered me the most was the owner's statement that they had to be ready for an important job in two weeks. That could make it the same day as your wedding.”
 
“Hmmmm.”
 
“Obaachan…I may not have the abilities you do, but it didn't take a genius to figure out there was something fishy going on. Besides…”
 
Kagome waited for a moment. There was something Kumiko didn't want to tell her. “Besides…what?”
 
“There were photos of naked women all over their office…and I could swear that one of them looked like you.”
 
“Ummm.”
 
“There was another girl with you. It looked like you two were…”
 
“Enough!”
 
“So it was you.”
 
“It's a long story.”
 
“Who's the other girl?”
 
“Sango.”
 
“Sango? The Sango?” Kumiko had heard the family stories. “How in the world did that…?”
 
Kagome sighed. “That's a long story, too.”
 
“Oh, one more thing…I'm supposed to be back there tomorrow to finish their training.” Kumiko paused. “Actually, I just told them that I needed to finish their training. I had this funny feeling that I might not get out alive if I didn't give them a reason to want me back.”
 
“I think you're right.” Kagome thought back to the phony beach vacation. If Kumiko had run into the same youkai who had tried to eat her, she probably had saved her own life. On the other hand, if Kumiko didn't go back tomorrow, the youkai involved might guess they had been found out and the jig might be up.
 
“Don't go back.”
 
“Obaachan?”
 
Kagome had considered her concealment spell and whether she could make herself look and sound like Kumiko. She decided she could. “I'll go for you. Just email me a recent picture, would you?”
 
“Okay, but something tells me InuYasha's going to be pissed.”
 
 
******************
 
 
It was a bit of a surprise to Midori when Kagome insisted that they be outside, in front of the shrine, in time for Jaken to show up with Rin. It was even more of a surprise when Kagome got into the car as soon as Rin got out.
 
Both Rin and Midori looked back in surprise. “Kagome?”
 
“Tell them I'm sick.”
 
“I'm not your ji-chan!” yelled Midori as the car window closed and Jaken pulled away from the curb.
 
“What is she up to?” murmured Rin.
 
 
******************
 
 
“Where would you like to go…Kagome?” Jaken was surprised when he looked in the rear view mirror. He had expected Kagome, one of the few humans he respected. Instead, there was a woman who looked in her mid-30's. “Who are you, and what are you doing in my master's car?”
 
“Relax, Jaken. It's me.”
 
Jaken settled down, slightly. The woman sounded like Kagome. There was a brief shimmer and, for a moment, she was Kagome again…but then the miko resumed her disguise.
 
“Listen, Jaken. I need you to take me to this address.” Kagome handed a slip of paper to the imp. It was ironic that Jaken wore a version of the concealment spell she was now using. The difference was that Jaken's spell didn't conceal his youkai nature from other youkai who happened to be in the area.
 
Kagome's spell did conceal her miko powers…which meant that the second she used her powers for any reason whatsoever, even to drop her disguise, she would be exposed.
 
Needless to say, this made standing in for Kumiko something of a dicey proposition. She did have one ace up her sleeve, though.
 
…something she had been working on that had been an old trick of Kikyou's. She thought she could pull it off.
 
 
******************
 
 
“Sato Enterprises” read the sign on the door. Yup, this was the right place, alright. Kagome fingered the talisman she wore on her wrist. The object held the spell that altered her appearance and hid her miko powers from any youkai she encountered. She sighed, pulled herself into the stiff and formal posture her great-granddaughter always used, and knocked.
 
Jaken had protested when she insisted that he not call InuYasha and inform him of Kagome's plans. He had been only somewhat mollified when the miko requested that he stay close so he could call for help, if necessary.
 
Kagome held a grudging respect for the old imp. She didn't think he would prove that useful, but at least she wouldn't have to walk home or find public transportation if he stayed nearby.
 
“Enter.”
 
It was a male voice…and one that had a certain burble in it, almost as if the speaker was used to talking underwater. She opened the door and, despite her misgivings, walked in as though she owned the place. That's how Kumiko would have acted and she had to play that role to the hilt. “Are you ready for your final lesson?”
 
“Hai, sensei.” The character (who did smell vaguely of fish) bowed slightly and led her through a second door into the main office.
 
There, sitting at his desk, was Katashi Sato. Kagome recognized the porn merchant immediately.
 
“It is good to see you again, sensei.”
 
Standing beside Mr. Sato was the other man Kumiko had described in detail: Kano. She nodded to both. “Thank you both.”
 
“My pleasure as well, sensei.”
 
The toothy grin was disturbing. And it was with barely-concealed surprise that Kagome realized that these two could easily be the pair Midori had told her about…the two businessmen she and Sango had encountered at the bar.
 
“Is there something wrong, sensei?”
 
Kagome's attention snapped back to Kano. “No, nothing.”
 
The man smiled broadly…and Kagome could think of nothing more than the newspaper articles about girls who had gone out to bars only to be never seen again. Her eyes narrowed as she studied Kano. It wouldn't have been the first time a youkai consumed humans. “Yes, Kumiko, you were right to make up a reason to come back.”
 
Kano didn't like the way the sensei was looking at him. He indicated the “men” who were standing patiently in line. “The lesson, sensei? You said there was one more thing to teach.”
 
“Ah, yes.” Kagome/Kumiko looked around. Even without using her miko powers, it was ridiculously easy to tell these men weren't really human. Well, easy for her, anyway. The modern residents of Tokyo would just think they were a little strange.
 
Kagome was prepared for this. She had called Kumiko back and gone over a western tradition that had become popular in Japanese wedding receptions: the wedding toast - and she now “trained” the staff in that tradition.
 
“Again!”
 
The “help” looked at each other, shrugged and downed their drinks.
 
Kagome/Kumiko frowned like an angry sensei. “No, no! It is not right!” She grabbed the nearest worker and held his arm out straight. “You hold the glass so, bring it in so and drink it so.”
 
Kagome noted out of the corner of her eye that Mr. Sato, who had supplied the liquor for the exercise, was taking drinks along with the staff and had gone from a grumbling acquiescence to supplying the booze to an enthusiastic participant in the exercise. In fact, everyone was getting quite “happy” save Kano…who had joined in at first, but then had sat back with an increasingly angry scowl.
 
He looked like a diner who was getting increasingly impatient with a slow waitress…and Kagome felt uncomfortably like the main dish.
 
She continued. “It is considered bad luck to have alcohol left after the reception is over, you see. The staff is responsible for seeing that all alcohol is disposed of.”
 
“Why not just dump it out?” growled Kano.
 
Kagome/Kumiko drew back in mock horror. “No, no, no! It must be consumed! It is very bad luck to waste it!” Kagome smiled inwardly. While western-style toasts had been incorporated into Japanese wedding receptions, the part about consuming all the alcohol had been her invention.
 
If they were going to have to fight these youkai, it wouldn't hurt if the youkai were drunk at the time. In fact, it would make what she had planned easier.
 
“Aren't you done yet?”
 
“He certainly is impatient.” Kagome/Kumiko sighed. “Yes, they'll do.”
 
For only the second time since her arrival, Kano smiled.
 
Again, the man seemed to have too many teeth. And again, Kagome felt like the blue plate special. “Do you have a bathroom I can use?”
 
Kano frowned.
 
“In the outer offish.”
 
Kano turned and glared at the altogether too helpful (and way too drunk) Katashi. He turned back to Kagome/Kumiko. “I will have one of my men show you where it is.” Kano nodded to one of the help, who nodded back his understanding that he was not to allow this woman to get away. The creature opened the door to the outer office to show Kagome the way.
 
“We will have your check waiting.”
 
“Arigato, but I'll just send you my bill.”
 
“We…insist.”
 
Kagome bowed politely and turned to follow her escort. Once inside the bathroom, she had the uncomfortable impression the man was standing guard on her.
 
“Well, I can't get past him, obviously.” It was time to try the little trick she had learned from Kikyo. Hopefully, the youkai surrounding her wouldn't figure out she was a miko. She hoped the alcohol would help with that.
 
 
******************
 
 
“Huh?” Kano looked up, confused. He had sensed something, but wasn't sure what. He regretted joining in with the drinking, earlier. Although he hadn't imbibed as much as the others, Katashi's brand of liquor was quite strong. He had the annoying impression that his lunch might have gotten away.
 
“Where is she?” he bellowed after throwing the office door open.
 
The youkai he had sent to guard the sensei stepped away from the bathroom door and indicated with his thumb that she was inside. “She hasn't gone anywhere, boss.”
 
Kano growled and pulled the door open, breaking the still-locked door off its hinges in the process.
 
There was no one inside.
 
“Where is she?”
 
“She didn't come out, boss…honest!”
 
“You let my lunch get away.”
 
“Boss? Boss? Boss???
 
 
******************
 
 
“Eep!”
 
Kagome looked down at the same time Jaken looked up.
 
Fortunately for her, Mr. Sato's office was on the second floor. While she had gotten Kikyo's teleportation spell right, she had forgotten to allow for altitude.
 
Unfortunately for Jaken, not only had Kagome forgotten to allow for altitude, but also she had none of the Shinidama Chuu that often bore Kikyo through the sky.
 
<WHUMP>
 
“Gomen.”
 
“Just get off me, human!”
 
Kagome got up off the somewhat-flattened imp…who then somehow popped back into shape. “Sorry. Where's the car?”
 
“Around the corner.”
 
“Take me to InuYasha.”
 
 
******************
 
 
When Kagome arrived at InuYasha's studio, she couldn't resist charging right in, jumping into her mate's arms and planting a big kiss right on his lips. She was more than a bit startled, then, to find herself seated on the ground, watching an angry hanyou using the back of his hand to wipe his lips.
 
“Oi! What the hell do you think you're doing, Kumiko?”
 
That explained it. Kagome/Kumiko took off the talisman and returned to being Kagome, again. “Sorry about that. Guess I forgot.”
 
InuYasha helped his mate up. “Feh. What are you doin' going around as Kumiko, anyway?”
 
“Hold on.” Kagome concentrated and brought her image of Kano to the front of her mind. She then concentrated on passing the image to InuYasha. “See him?”
 
“Yeah.”
 
“That's the sea youkai whose behind all this.”
 
“How'd you get this?” As Kagome concentrated, InuYasha was able to see more of what his mate had seen. There was this Kano, and Mr. Sato…and there was a picture on the wall that looked a lot like Kagome and Sango - and what were they doing, anyway? “Uhhh, Kagome? What is that picture behind Mr. Sato?”
 
Kagome cut off the image. “It's a long story.”
 
“It looked kind of like you and…”
 
“Forget it!”
 
“Okay, okay.” InuYasha paused in thought. After so many centuries, he knew enough not to push his mate any further. Finally, he looked up. “Is there any way you can show this image to Sesshoumaru?”
 
“You're the only one I can do this with.”
 
“What about Shippo?”
 
“I couldn't do it with him, eith…oh, I get it. You want me to have our little artist sketch the youkai.” Kagome got out her cell phone. That was one number she did remember…and Shippo was on his way to Tokyo to help with her plans for the wedding.
 
 
******************
 
 
Shippo answered his phone. It was mom calling, and he'd never let her go into voice mail. “Moshi-moshi.”
 
“Hey, Shippo. Got your sketch pad?”
 
“No, it's back on the island. Want me to go get it?”
 
“Nahhh. I want you to come to our home. I need you to sketch someone for me. Someone I'll describe for you.”
 
“But I don't have…”
 
There was a clatter on the other end and InuYasha came on. “You'll have everything you need, runt. Just get over here.”
 
“Of course.”
 
 
******************
 
 
Lord Sesshoumaru peered over the kitsune's shoulder. “That is the sea youkai we're dealing with? I do not recognize him.”
 
“It is a remarkable likeness of him,” commented Kagome. “Good job, Shippo!”
 
The kitsune smiled up at his mother. Some things never changed with time. Kagome always made him feel like a kid again…but he didn't mind. He still saw himself as her first. “Thanks, mom.”
 
“Still, he does not look like much of a threat to me.” A green glow came to Lord Sesshoumaru's claws as he contemplated what he might do to Kano. “And you say he calls himself Kano? How presumptuous!”
 
“If you were ever in the presence of those teeth!” Kagome shuddered. “I'm certain it was the same youkai who tried to eat me on that phony beach vacation.”
 
“Still…”
 
“Keh. I would appreciate it if you let me take care of him.”
 
“This Sesshoumaru is perfectly capable of dealing with…”
 
“He didn't try to eat your mate.”
 
“Speaking of which...” Lord Sesshoumaru studied Kagome's shoulder. “…there appear to be some new bite marks on your mate.”
 
InuYasha was rapidly turning red. “That was Midori's fault!”
 
“Indeed. This should be interesting.”
 
Kagome was turning red, too. “Forget it. You're not getting that story.” Suddenly, Kagome got an idea on how to change the subject. “Speaking of family matters, I understand you and Rin…”
 
Lord Sesshoumaru's eyes narrowed. “Yes, Rin told me of that…and of your part in it.”
 
Maybe this wasn't such a good idea.
 
“This Sesshoumaru and his mate will be the parents of six more pups, thanks to your assistance.”
 
Kagome couldn't tell if Sesshoumaru was mad, or not. “Well, you see…I mean…she kept bugging me…and…”
 
“Keh. I don't think the `Great Lord' is upset, Kagome.”
 
“Indeed not.”
 
Kagome looked up at Sesshoumaru, relieved.
 
“In fact, I believe that I have a way to return the favor, sometime.”
 
Kagome stared at the tai-youkai. Was he joking? The Great Lord of the Western Lands rarely joked…but she hoped he was this time.
 
The slightest of smiles passed over Sesshoumaru's lips. “I will speak with InuYasha of the method.”
 
Kagome looked at her mate, who looked very happy at the prospect. She was already pregnant, so he couldn't do anything with Lord Sesshoumaru's suggestion right away, but…
 
 
 
A/N: Problems and more problems, yet I will press on! lol
 
I figured they'd have to learn what Kano looked like somehow. Now to proceed with Kagome's special plans for the wedding.
 
I'm trying! I'm trying! I'm TRYING! lol
 
As always, please read and review. Thanks! Oh, and again, more reviews = more inspiration for new chapters.