Loveless Fan Fiction ❯ Cord of destiny ❯ Pull ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
"What's this glowing thing?"

"So you can finally see that light?"

"Something's. . .over there."

"These chains bind us together. If you don't resist, you can see them too. Didn't you realize that?"

"You have a chain as well."

"This. . .Where? I wonder. Where do these chains go..?"

"It's most likely connected to the "Loveless" fighter."

"But I don't think it's Soubi."

__________________________________________________________ ________________

"Ritsuka, is something wrong?" The words bring him out of his thoughts suddenly. Ritsuka looks up to find himself staring into blue eyes. He shakes his head after a moment, and looks away. The pale haired man doesn't look away from him for several seconds. Instead he studies the younger with a critical eye, a faint frown etched on his lips. His expression gives away his disbelief.

". . .What do you want?" Ritsuka asks as he stands up from his bed. He only comes up to the other man's chest, even standing. This fact, which normally provokes at least a small scowl of notice, only makes him blink tonight. His gaze is distracted, glassy, and Soubi knows he isn't really paying attention. He's thinking. Brooding, perhaps. It's not a rare occurrence.

"I wanted to tuck you in." Soubi said. He keeps his expression schooled, blank. He knows when he has caught Ritsuka's full attention because the dark haired boy blinks, then narrows his eyes in a glare. Soubi smiles, bending down suddenly to press his lips to Ritsuka's. He pulls back just as suddenly, not giving the other boy time to protest.

"Perhaps not tonight, then." Soubi said, a laugh hidden in his tone. "Good night, Ritsuka."

He walks back to the sliding door, and pauses long enough to pull the curtains back. The air smells like ozone, he notes absentmindedly. It was going to rain soon.

"I love you, Ritsuka." He's gone before Ritsuka can complain, and instead the boy glares at the door he had exited through with unwarranted malice. He sighs after a moment, and sits back down on his bed. The springs creak, but he takes little notice. Even Soubi's visit was beginning to slip from his thoughts, because there was something else--Soubi related, as usual-- that was occupying that space.

Around him, when he concentrated, there was a faintly glowing thing. It looked like string, almost, a rope. As he reached out with one pale hand, he swore he could feel it for a split second. He focused on it once more, reached out, and felt it for a moment longer. Indeed, it was like a string.

They had told him it was supposed to lead him to Loveless. The other loveless. His fighter. At the end of this golden cord was the person he was supposed to command. He denied that his eyes were burning as he thought this. They were just to dry, he muttered to the empty night. He wasn't crying.

Could a cord of destiny be broken? He could touch it, he knew. He reached out again and tried to hold it this time, to prove that it could be done. Of course, he knew it could be. Hadn't Sei-. . .Hadn't others done the same? The zeros could do it, some how. Surely it was possible to break your connection to your other half. If it wasn't, then how was it possible for him to use Soubi. Surely there was a way to make sure Soubi would really and truly be his?

There would be consequences, surely. He knew that. It might hurt. He would probably curse someone else, this other Loveless. But, he thought, that was okay. He had never been one for following destiny's call anyway. And. . .He didn't want to lose Soubi. Not ever.

With trembling hands, Ritsuka reached out to the golden warmth one last time that night. He gripped it through sheer will power, making something solid that shouldn't have been. With both hands set warmly on that cord, he hesitated. He took a deep breath, waiting for something to interrupt him. Something to stop him. Anything. And when that didn't come, he closed his eyes tight. . .

. . .And he ripped.