InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Collected Works ❯ Number Seven ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Number Seven
Author: LuxKen27
Universe: AR – after the manga
Word length (250 max): 248
Rating: M
Warnings: Character death
Summary: What is the root of all evil? Love? Jealousy? Rejection?

Entry for: iyfic_contest Week 162, “Evil” prompt

Disclaimer: The Inuyasha concept, story, and characters are copyright Rumiko Takahashi and Viz Media.

~*~

What is the root of all evil?

It’s a question I’ve long pursued – both in my professional line of research, as well as my own personal quest for knowledge. The line is indeed arbitrarily drawn in the sands of passion, it seems: one wrong move, and the deepest, purest love can be consumed by raw, burning hatred.

What turns a man’s heart to stone?

It’s a question quite near and dear to my own existence.

As I gazed down at her shocked, frozen features, it occurred to me that I’d crossed that line. Years of repressed jealousy, feeling like I was second in her affections to some grand, true love…I never had all of her, not like she had of me.

With shaking hands, I manipulated her still-warm fingers around the butt of the gun.

I’d given her every part of myself, and still it was not enough – to erase her memories of him, her regret of leaving him, her wonder of what could have been…

Tears slid down my cheeks as I kneeled and embraced her, the blood pouring from her wound, soaking into my clothes, covering my hands once again.

They’d be here soon…

“Hojo!” they cried when they finally came round. “Oh, God…Kagome…”

Silence rained down upon us. They saw what they were supposed to see, eyes alight in horror and sympathy.

Perfect.

Everyone knew she’d never been able to let go.

No one knew I pulled the trigger.

It wasn’t murder; it was mercy.