InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Collected Works ❯ Promise ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Promise
Author: LuxKen27
Genre: Drama
Universe: Canon
Rating: T
Warnings: None
Word Count: 200
Summary: A sequel to “Remembrance” (Chapter 9): Sesshoumaru reluctantly honors a final promise.

Entry for: dokuga_contest [Sess/Kag] Drabble #7, “Whisper” (1st Place)

Disclaimer: The Inuyasha concept, story, and characters are copyright Rumiko Takahashi and Viz Media.

~*~

The great taiyoukai did not mourn in public.

No one was surprised when he returned to his stronghold alone – they all knew she suffered from a strange illness, and that he had taken her out to die in peace. No one was surprised when he continued on about his business that day as if nothing had happened, wearing the same unemotional expression that was his signature.

This was the way it should be: a strong leader betraying no vulnerability.

No, it was not until he was in his private chambers…alone, again, for the first time in fifty years…that his determination faltered. He couldn’t bear to look down at the bed they had shared, much less return to it, with the knowledge that she was forever gone. Instead, after undressing, he drew the blankets from the mattress and wrapped them around himself, slipping listlessly down to the floor.

Her lingering scent encompassed him, and for a fleeting moment he could feel a whisper of her touch once again…sliding across his shoulders…down his back. He shut his eyes tightly, her final words reverberating through his mind, and he knew he was doomed to dream of her…and miss her...for many nights to come.