InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Collected Works ❯ Quiet Confession ( Chapter 65 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Quiet Confession
Author: LuxKen27
Universe: Canon (post manga)
Genre: Romance
Rating: T
Word Length: 500
Summary: Miroku tells Sango of the moment he fell in love with her.

Entry for mirsan_fics, Prompt #25, “Heart” (1st Place)

Disclaimer: The Inuyasha concept, story, and characters are copyright Rumiko Takahashi and Viz Media.

~*~

Miroku enjoyed the stillness of the morning air, when dawn was just breaking and filling the world with new light. It was a measure of quiet contemplation before a busy day, a luxury he hadn’t been able to indulge since he was a small boy at the monastery. So much had changed in his life, even within the last year – meeting his best friend, fighting an otherworldly force of evil, triumphing over the curse that had held his family – his very life – in its grip.

Most men, when setting off to forge their paths in life, sought great wealth or power or fame.

He strove for normalcy.

And now, he had it. He couldn’t ask for anything more: a home, a family, a beautiful woman to call “wife” – the last of whom was currently draped across his body, her head resting against his chest as she slept.

His lips curled into a fleeting smile as he touched her face, tracing the line of her cheek before letting his hands trail off into her hair. The caress roused her from her slumber, and he felt her shift, mumbling a morning greeting.

When he didn’t respond, she propped herself up, resting her arms across his chest as she gazed down at him with almost expectant curiosity.

“Is something wrong?” she questioned quietly, taking keen note of the almost faraway cast of his eyes.

He shook his head slightly. “No,” he reassured her. “I was just thinking.”

“Oh?” she asked. “About what?”

Slowly, he allowed his eyes to meet hers directly. “Sometimes I wonder if you know, the moment you took my heart?”

Sango furrowed her brow, drawing her lower lip between her teeth as she silently shook her head.

Miroku smiled faintly, reaching up to brush her hair from her temples. “The first time I woke up like this,” he replied softly, “and you were there. I was full of poison, on the brink of death at Kagura’s hands, but you weren’t prepared to let me go.” He twined his fingers through her hair, gently bringing her closer, closer, until her mouth lingered mere inches from his.

“That’s when I knew I loved you.”

Her eyes slipped shut, a single tear sliding down her cheek as she rested her forehand against his. “I’ll never be ready to let you go,” she replied in a whisper, a breath before pressing her lips to his, her kiss full of love, joy, and assurance.

He was reluctant to let her go as she pulled away, but her eyes were shining as she gazed down at him. “Especially now, that I have you…and your child.”

His heart skipped a beat as the wondrous, unexpected news crashed down on him. “Are you sure?” he whispered, earning an eager nod in response.

He drew her close once more, tucking her head into the crook of his neck and enveloping her in a tight, elated embrace. “Oh, Sango,” he sighed. “Only you know how to make my life complete.”