InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Neighbor ❯ Techno Woes ( Chapter 7 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Techno Woes
 
 
InuYasha's ears flattened as he heard the upstairs neighbor squeal with glee and giggle.
 
Somehow, the moron had managed to snag a man who loved to shower her with gifts. InuYasha wasn't sure he wanted to know how… but he was thankful she was no longer outwardly lusting after him. Still, though - he could do without her new boy-toy's brand of love: a puppy (fluffy and white… Kagome was convinced that it wasn't coincidence she'd picked a puppy with ears remarkably similar to his), a new couch (which got stuck in the stairwell… stupid deliverymen!), and most annoyingly, a new entertainment system… complete with surround-sound.
 
InuYasha wasn't sure what had possessed the man to make that large of a purchase; he assumed the guy had no idea what had happened to his predecessor's belongings.
 
InuYasha didn't know if he was amused or disturbed by the idea of the wench throwing the puppy from the apartment. `Note to self… never bring that idea up with Kagome!'
 
Still, things were going fairly well. Other than a few ridiculously loud horror and action movies (and one really poorly-timed porn flick), The Neighbor didn't keep them up all that often. In fact, she showed a remarkable amount of restraint.
 
Until one day, when The Neighbor's New Man had apparently bought her some sort of gaming system. InuYasha wasn't sure what it was, but he knew it spelled trouble.
 
First came the first-person shooters. They weren't too bad; similar to the action movies, InuYasha's only complaint was the woman's high-pitched squeals when she was killed. He often had dreams of gagging the stupid, mouthy bitch.
 
Then came the racing games. The noises grated on InuYasha's nerves; he wanted to beat somebody. Knocking on the door and asking them to turn it down didn't help… they'd do so, but have it turned back up by the time he got down the stairs. And of course, they didn't start playing until the office was closed for the day.
 
`How damn convenient!'
 
Kagome was out shopping; InuYasha had been too comfortable watching a murder mystery to join her. Of course, he wasn't sure why the stupid detectives worked their way person by person. Why didn't they just beat on the people until the morons spilled the beans?
 
About three-quarters through the show, a heavy beat started from upstairs. `Stomping?' He wondered if the girl had somehow figured out that a loose mouse and a playful puppy were not a good combination. But it didn't sound like fearful stomping. It was more like… in tempo with something. Then high-pitched, tinny Japanese music began playing, and his heart sank.
 
`Oh gods… she has Dance Dance Revolution.'
 
It didn't stop… the show was drowned out by the off-tempo stomping of The Neighbor and he began to twitch. He was about to go upstairs and give the woman a piece of his mind when Kagome came in, huffing and hauling a handful of grocery bags.
 
“There's more in the car,” she informed him, and InuYasha willingly went out to bring in the heavier stuff as Kagome worked to put their food and other purchases away.
 
As he came back in with the final load, InuYasha noticed Kagome was standing in the living room, staring up with confusion at the ceiling. “What in the world is that pounding?”
 
InuYasha sighed. “Apparently the wench has Dance Dance Revolution now.”
 
Kagome's eyes widened and she stared back up. While it was one of her favorite games, she waited to play it at a friend's house, so as not to disturb the people below them.
 
The Neighbor obviously hadn't given it a second thought.
 
The song The Neighbor was “dancing” to kicked up a notch and she began moving faster and stomping harder. InuYasha growled low in his throat and moved to go upstairs and inform her of her transgressions when they both heard her shout out. Almost simultaneously, there was a loud crash, the sounds of things hitting the floor. InuYasha, with his better hearing, could pick up electrical noises, high-pitched enough that his ears flattened.
 
“Owwwww,” he heard The Neighbor moan. He smirked. Moments later, he heard her gasp.
 
“Oh no! I broke the TV!”
 
InuYasha grinned at the sweet, silent victory.
 
 
----
 
 
Disclaimer: Unfortunately, I do not own nor rent InuYasha or the characters of… though I own an ever-expanding collection of merchandise (and a new wall scroll)! The “real” InuYasha belongs to the genius of Rumiko Takahashi.
 
“The Neighbor” is a collection of nine pieces set in an Alternate Universe. The collection was written for the LiveJournal Community FirstTweak, for the “SFX” challenge.
 
“Territory” was written for the “Dooon” (or “Boom!”) prompt.
 
“Techno Woes”, coming in at 708 words, was posted on LiveJournal on August 27th, 2009.