Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Brave Breeze ❯ Chapter 1

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Brave Breeze
By Sakura (L-sama no Miko)

Disclaimer: I don’t own a single one of the characters – the awesome Hajime Kanzaka-sama does – I just own the plot.
 
            The petite redhead leaned back in her chair and patted her now full belly. Looking at her, you wouldn’t think she was close to forty. No, Lina Inverse definitely didn’t look her age. Thanks to repeated exposure to and use of L-sama’s power, the sorceress had kept her youthful beauty. Being the favored chosen avatar of the mother of all things and none did have its advantages after all, she would remain in the form of a seventeen year old girl. But it also had one major disadvantage.
            No it wasn’t the constant barrage of mazoku and bandit attacks that had made up most of her days; though they were a pain. Lina looked at her companions and couldn’t help feel a tang of guilt. Gourry, her constant companion and occasional annoyance of the past eighteen years was beginning to show signs of aging. His once lustrous golden hair had begun to recede slightly and a few streaks of gray had made their way into the sunshine locks, and he was starting to slow down in spite of having kept up his swordsmanship and physical training. 
            Amelia was now as tall as her sister and just as curvy. The much smaller redhead cringed at the uncanny similarities between the two princesses of Seiruun. The only good thing about this was that Amelia wasn’t as insane as Naga or hell bent on being her rival, though she was still the lovable justice freak she’d spent so much time with. 
            The only ones of her companions that didn’t make her feel guilty about staying young were the chimera and golden dragon. Zel still looked as he did when she and Gourry had first met him; he had the same stone hard blue skin and razor sharp lavender metallic hair. The only difference had been the tired look in his crystal blue eyes. He still hadn’t found a single lead to regaining his former human self. She could see that he was on the verge of finally giving up. She did pity him though, having stone skin and razor sharp hair meant very little or no human contact.
            Filia however hadn’t changed much at all. She still looked like a young girl around twenty with long golden hair and clear blue, blue eyes. But she had definitely shed her naiveté and violent reactions to mazoku – well at least to one mazoku in particular. Of course she’d never in a million years admit it to anyone – herself included – but the golden dragon had come to respect the sneaky and mischievous priest/general as well developed a fondness for him.
             Xellos had popped around a few times, but that was over ten years ago and only his mistress and L-sama knew where he was at the moment.
            And then there was the reason they had all gathered at the dragon girl’s pottery/mace shop. He was currently sitting next to his ‘mother’ with a sullen look on his face even though the others were currently enjoying themselves, the petite redhead and blonde arguing over the last chicken bone as usual.
Lina had tried to find out what was bothering the now eighteen year old reincarnated Valgaav (now called Valteira) but the aqua haired anczoku would constantly turn away from her or quickly change the subject with one of the others
            The former dragon priestess was concerned for her ‘son’ as well. Val had been acting strangely for weeks now. He would be the sweet, kind, and gentle boy she’d raised for the past eighteen years one moment and in the very next heartbeat, he’d do a one-eighty and snap at his ‘mother’ or customers. Jillas and Gravos were also worried, but trusted Filia’s judgment and hoped that whatever was making the boy act this way would resolve itself soon.
            “Oi!” Jillas called coming out of the small kitchen/pottery studio attached to the shop. The fox man was getting on in years, streaks of gray ran through his fiery red fur but he still had the enthusiasm and energy of his younger years. Three sets of eyes gazed at the enormous cake he was currently balancing on a tray with eager gluttony. “You folks ready for dessert?” he asked.
            “You bet!” Lina squealed with girlish eagerness. She always did enjoy a good meal. “You’ve really outdone yourself with this one Filia!”
            The cake was eighteen layers – one for each year Val had lived – and she could sense that each one was a different flavor. Tiny black and gold dragons stood sentinel on alternating layers, a tiny marzipan flower (each in a different color) lay in between each dragon. At the top a single black dragon stood majestically with his tiny wings spread in pride. Eighteen candles (again each a different color) surrounded the dragon as if to protect him from all harm.
            Filia blushed with pride at the compliment. “I-It’s nothing really, Lina-san,” she replied modestly, “I just wanted to make something special for Val-kun’s special day. But I kind of got carried away.”
            “I can see that,” Zelgadis quipped good-naturedly, “but it really does look good, Filia.”
            “T-Thank you Zelgadis-san,” the golden dragon replied, blushing even more.
            “Hn, it’s just a stupid cake,” Val spat, annoyed that he still hadn’t figured out why he suddenly began to feel animosity toward Lina, the woman he’d looked up to and adored for as long as he could remember. The petite sorceress had been his occasional playmate and nanny during his early childhood and he had quickly grown fond of her and her magical antics. He knew it had to do with the dreams he’d been having the past few weeks, but he never could remember any of them.
            “Now, Val-kun your mum spent all day making that cake yesterday,” scolded Jillas, “You should be more polite.”
            “She’s not my mother!” the aqua haired teen roared, “She’s one of those scum who murdered my people!” He made to attack the blond dragon girl, but suddenly stopped inches away from her face. Filia stood there with utter shock written all over her gentle face.
            ‘Where’d he learn about that?!’ she asked silently, ‘I know no one here ever told him, and I most certainly did not.’ Ever since she found Val’s egg after their epic battle with Dark Star, the golden dragon swore that her ‘son’ would grow up living a normal life. That meant she would never burden him with the truth about his past. And for eighteen years, she had believed he never would be. ‘Ooooooooo that…that namagomi!!! I’ll give that Xellos a few good whacks with my mace if he dares show his disgusting face! How dare he ruin Val-kun’s happiness!!!?’
            The younger dragon blinked his golden eyes in confusion, the sudden ‘vision’ of thousands of gold dragons slaughtering black dragons fading just as quickly as it came. Then he saw what he was about to do. He had one fist raised and poised to strike his ‘mother’s’ face while his other hand had grown black scales and claws and was dangerously close to her throat. Scared by this, Val’s face blanched and seconds later had him dashing through the kitchen and out the shop. Poor Filia would need a new front door. 
            “Val-kun!” she had yelled after him, but her ‘son’ was already long gone before his name left her lips.
            “I’ll talk to him,” Lina said, having lost her appetite at the teen’s outburst. She remembered every vivid detail the recording left behind by the anczoku race had shown them. The slaughter of Val’s people would forever haunt them all and none of them could have been more affected by that than Filia. But the way things were at the moment, Lina felt it best that it should be her that went after Val. Judging by his current mental state, there was the tiny risk that he’d attack his ‘mother’ again, besides, Lina probably could fare better against him if it should come to that.
            No one said a word as the redheaded sorceress quietly rose from her seat and strode out the shop.
 
********************************************************
 
            The peace and tranquility of the twilit sky was shattered by Val’s heart wrenching scream of utter anguish echoing throughout the boulder strewn field he’d run to. “What the hell’s happening to me?!!” he demanded. “My mother! I tried to kill my own mother!” He slammed his fist into the boulder next to the one he’d been sitting on, shattering it to rubble. Val just couldn’t understand what could have caused him to do that. What frightened him the most was the frequent memory blackouts he’d been suffering from off and on these past weeks. He’d remember being angry at various people, but not the reason why and the worried faces of his ‘family’ weren’t helping at all either. ‘Am I becoming some kind of monster? Is that why kaa-san won’t talk about the past?’
            “There you are Val!” Lina called, having finally caught up to the distraught anczoku teen.
            “You!” he screamed, “This is all your fault!!” He then lunged at her.
            “H-Hey w-wait a sec!” she pleaded, dodging away from the rampaging dragon teen. ‘Yep, I kinda figured something like this would happen.’ “Calm down Val!”
            “I will kill you Lina Inverse!!” Val bellowed, once again aiming for the petite redhead.
            The sorceress’s crimson eyes went wide in shock. She knew that look in Val’s angry gold eyes. She’d seen it so many times back then during the whole business with Dark Star. This was not Valteira that she was now dodging and running from, this was Valgaav!!! The boy looked even more like his former self than ever now that he had that hate filled glare and the stripes he had as a mazoku had mysteriously reappeared on his rather handsome face.
            ‘What in L-sama’s name is going on here?!’ Lina wondered as she dodged a poorly formed magical burst from the dragon’s clawed hand. ‘What happened to the kid? How the heck could he remember that?!!’
            “Stand still you vile woman!!”
            “Heh, as if I’d be that stupid!” she shot back ducking behind a boulder, “Besides you really don’t wanna kill your Auntie Lina do you Val-kun?” she asked in the sickeningly sweet tone she had used when Val was much, much younger.
             “S-Shut up!” That had seemed to work. Lina was well aware of how the anczoku practically worshipped her when he was younger and still did.
            Val paused in mid strike, and just as quickly as the anger and hate had come, they left. “A-Auntie?” he whimpered, shaking violently from what he was about to do.
            “Hey, it’s ok. Shh. I’ve got you,” Lina said, wrapping her arms around the much taller teen. They stood like that for what seemed like hours, the sorceress not letting go of the dragon as he continued to sob into his hands. “So, you ready to tell me what’s been going on Val?”
            “I-I’m a monster, aren’t I?” he asked heartbrokenly.
            “Yeah right, and I’m really Shabranigdo’s mother,” scoffed Lina in a lame attempt to cheer the boy up.
            “I knew it,” Val spat bitterly. “So that’s why kaa-san never told me about my father. It’s Xellos-san isn’t it?”
            Lina sputtered then did a double take. Her face went green at the thought of her on again/off again crush and Filia together. “What makes you think that?!! Come on Val, start making sense! Dragons and mazoku don’t mix!”
            “B-But you seen how she acts around him!” the aqua haired teen stammered in confusion.
            “So she’s friends with him, that doesn’t mean that Xel’s your dad, besides no one knows who your dad is.”
            “Exactly!” Val countered, “He could be a mazoku! That’s got to be why I’m… why I-I…”
            “Val…” Lina interrupted, not sure what to say. “What does it matter who your dad was? You’re… you right?”
            “Easy for you to say, you know who you are, but I don’t! Not anymore!”
            “Val…” she attempted again.
            “Oh isn’t this a touching scene,” came a sneering voice.
            “Who’s there?! Show yourself!” the anczoku teen demanded, feeling protective of his redheaded ‘auntie’ and jumping in front of her.
            “How sweet, the widdle boy wants to play the knight.” A few feet away from them, a young girl with a blue braided hair around sixteen or seventeen emerged floating in mid air. She was wearing tight white pants and a blue military style jacket with green trimming. A sword hung loosely at her right.
            “Leave mazoku!” Val growled at seeing her cat like eyes, not budging from his spot, “You don’t belong here!”
            “Hmph. You ought to respect your elders, brat,” scowled the mazoku girl. “Lina Inverse,” she said, no longer paying the aqua haired teen any attention before disappearing and materializing behind the petite sorceress. “My lord requires your presence.” The mazoku then brought the hilt of her sword down on the back of Lina’s head, effectively knocking her out before either of them could act.
            “L-Lina!!” shouted Val, fear, anger, and hate etched onto his face.
            “Run along home to mommy, little boy,” sneered the mazoku after reappearing in mid air, Lina slung over her shoulder like a sack of potatoes.
            “Give her back!!!” he bellowed and quickly transforming into a magnificent black dragon.
            The blue haired mazoku only laughed derisively as she dodged out of Val’s breath attack. “Pathetic,” she sneered, her malicious laughter echoing throughout the area as she and her cargo vanished completely. Val turned back to his human form and let out an anguished scream.
            “Yare, yare,” Xellos said as he materialized into the boulder strewn field. “It appears I was too late.
 
~Tsuzuku!!!~
 
 
Translations for Slayers newbs:
Anczoku – Ancient Dragon  
Mazoku – Demon/Monster depending on which translation you’re watching or reading
Namagomi – literally translates as kitchen waste, but can mean raw garbage (Filia’s favorite word for Xellos ^_^)
Kaa-san – Mom
Yare yare – not really sure what this means, but I’ve seen it translated as ‘Oh my’ or ‘My my’
 
Sakura: Whoo boy! My first Slayers fic in L-sama knows how long!
 
Lina: Yeesh! I thought you were dead! What the heck are you doing back?!

Sakura: Sore wa himitsu!

Lina: >(

Sakura: Sorry Lina, couldn’t resist. Anyway, the boss felt it was time I gave you guys a visit. Besides, I kinda, um… miss Val.

Xel: Oh? I’m hurt Sakura-chan.

Sakura: Xel! (smacks him upside the head) I see you all the time! Anyhoo, lemme know what you think of this ppl. Good? Bad? I neeeeeeeeeeeeeed feedback. Anyone who can guess who the mysterious mazoku or her boss is, will get a chapter dedication all to themselves and a yummy cyber cookie!! Here’s a hint, her boss is one of the remaining mazoku lords. Good luck!!