Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Plight of the Unicorn ❯ Chapter 15 ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Plight of the Unicorn
Chapter 15
The Sorcerer's thoughts were in turmoil as he tried to keep his mind in check. This was no easy feat with everything that had transpired in the last day. They had been traveling the whole day since Heero and Zechs had been taken, only stopping to give the horse's water.
 
`Luckily Nasir had money and was willing to buy Wufei and I horses. They definitely make the journey quicker.' Duo's violet eyes landed on the knight, shaking his head slightly in disbelief. `I just can't believe he's Quatre's brother. I mean they're just so different.'
 
“I know I look good Duo but do try to focus ahead so you don't lose control of the horse,” the other man said with a smirk.
 
The sorcerer blushed faintly as the brunette laughed.
 
“I do have a boyfriend you know. He just happens to be a unicorn and kidnapped right now,” Duo pointed out. He sighed as he glanced at his step-parent. The Chinese man had hardly spoken since Zechs had been taken.
 
“We'll find them you know. I know where Treize lives and we will save them,” Nasir swore.
 
“I know,” Duo remarked. He was silent for a moment again before speaking, “I just can't believe you're Quatre's brother. You're just so different.”
 
“Yeah, well that's because our father beat the fun out of him. Not literally of course but he's just so much harder on Quatre then the rest of us,” the male said with a scowl.
 
“Why is that?” Duo inquired.
 
“Because Quatre's so gentle and docile. You know he doesn't act very dominant or controlling. He tends to let others tell him what to do,” Nasir explained.
 
“I figured he acted that way because of his father. Is he usually that quiet and timid?” the sorcerer questioned.
 
The knight frowned. “He used to be quite loud when he was younger. He changed when his mother died. He started to withdraw from everyone. He was still kind and caring but it almost seemed strained. As he got older father started to be harsh towards him. He wanted his sons to be strong and brave but Quatre wasn't. It probably didn't help that I became a knight. That just made his expectations higher for Quatre.”
 
Duo nodded as his mind drifted to the fair haired teen. `He could never be a knight. He's too small for something like that. Just because he doesn't do a manly profession doesn't mean he's worthless. He just needs confidence in his present abilities.'
 
“I haven't seen Quatre in four years. I wonder if he's changed at all,” the older brother mused.
 
Duo laughed. “Well, he's still short. I don't think that will change. He's definitely cute though. Hopefully you won't hurt me for that comment.”
 
Nasir grinned. “I won't say a thing. I agree with you. My brother has always been adorable. I have several friends who have told me that as well. I would have let them ask him out if he wasn't so young at the time. Plus our father would have killed us both.”
 
Duo almost growled at the remark. “Your father is terrible. I could have been a murderer off the streets for all he knew and he was just like `fine, take my son and leave. Here's some money teach him everything you know.'”
 
“That's father for you. He was so traditional it drove me insane. Why do you think I left when I did? I was sick of him asking if I had a girlfriend yet. I could never tell him the truth. He'd never let me see my brothers and sisters again,” the knight stated.
 
Duo's violet eyes widened in surprise. “You swing our way?”
 
“You bet. Women just don't do it for me. I've had several boyfriends although I'm single right now. I've got too much going on in my life right now to do much else. Father would never accept it though. He got so annoying I actually pretended to have a wife. Told him we couldn't wait so we got married in the same town we met,” Nasir claimed with a smirk.
 
“Sneaky. So you still married to this woman?” Duo questioned with a laugh.
 
“No, she actually died giving birth to our son,” the knight answered.
 
Wufei finally acknowledged the conversation at that point. “You have a son?” he inquired.
 
“About five years ago I was on patrol. I heard a women's scream and raced to saved her. As soon as I got there the men who had attacked her bolted. I could have chased them down but I needed to do whatever I could to save the women. Turns out she was in labor at the time. I managed to get her to the doctor but she died giving birth. She begged me to take her child before death and I agreed. I told the doctor she was my wife and took the child as my son. He's been with me ever since.”
 
“Has your family ever seen him?” Duo questioned.
 
The dirty haired blonde nodded. “I took him home when he was about one year old. Didn't want him traveling earlier than that. Quatre was about 11 at the time and that's the last time I've seen him.”
 
The talking ceased when they finally reached a small town. The place was lively as people chatted in front of the general store. There were several women working in various front yards, taking care of the plants that grew there.
 
“Haven't seen you around in awhile, Nasir. How have you and Keigen been?” a voice asked from beside them.
 
Duo turned to gaze at the man. He looked to be about 18, with dark brown hair that curled around his face. He wore a pair of baggy black pants with a camouflage shirt clinging tightly to his chest.
 
“I've been fine, Kris. Keigen is as hyper as ever for a five year old. I'm actually just passing through but I figured I would visit your sister to give more money to the orphanage,” Nasir answered.
 
The younger male smiled. “You're just too nice for your own good you know. Although I'm sure Hilde will be happy for the help.”
 
Nasir laughed. “Well you know me. Just can't help myself sometimes. But where are my manners? Kris this is Duo and Wufei. I'm helping them get their friends back who were kidnapped.”
 
The younger male frowned at the comment. “Well you better hurry then. I'm sure you'll be able to rescue them. Nasir is one of the best knights around.”
 
The dirty haired blonde blushed before speaking, “On the way back I'll be sure to stay longer.”
 
“I'll hold you to that. Now hurry on up to see my sister. You know where she is,” Kris instructed.
 
The knight waved before starting back down the road, Duo and Wufei following in his wake.
 
“Care to explain all that?” the sorcerer inquired.
 
“A couple years ago, I was injured protecting a child lost in the woods around this town. The child brought me here and one of the two women who run the orphanage here took care of me. As thanks, whenever I'm in this town, I stop by to talk and help them out,” the blonde informed.
 
As they reached to two-story building Duo knew that they had arrived. There were several children outside, playing tag with each other. There were also several girls sitting on the ground, braiding each other's hair.
 
“Look! It's Nasir!” one of the boys suddenly called out. There was a stampede as several of the children ran over to the knight, holding onto his horse.
 
“Did you get some bad guys today?”
 
“Did you save a damsel in distress?”
 
“How about a dragon? Did you fight one of them?”
 
“You're so stupid, Derek. There is no such think as dragons. They're make believe.”
 
“Are not!”
 
“They are too! Tell him, Nasir.”
 
“That's a lot to try and listen to in thirty seconds,” Wufei muttered under his breath. He glanced up as the door to the orphanage opened. The woman standing there shook her head as she smiled.
 
“Children! Let Nasir and his friends get down. I bet their horses would like a break. Shawn, Cory would you please take them to the back and give them some water?”
 
“Thank you, Hilde. We can't stay long I'm afraid but I'm sure they horses need a rest,” the knight exclaimed as he dropped down from the creature. He smiled warmly as he handed the reins to the oldest child there.
 
Duo and Wufei followed suit, handing the horses off to a quiet red-head. The teen looked to be about 15, violet eyes softening as he patted the two creatures. The two boys then turned away, leading the horses around the building.
 
The child that remained all leaped at Nasir, hugging him. The knight grinned as he returned each embrace before standing up. He then made his way toward Hilde, hugging her warmly as well.
 
“There is a small brown money bag in my horse's pack. That's for the children. I'll give it to you right before we leave,” Nasir whispered.
 
“Thank you very much. Noin and I will put it to good use,” the woman exclaimed.
 
“Where is she?”
 
“She's in the house taking care of the younger children,” Hilde answered, “You going to introduce me to your friends anytime soon?”
 
“Oh, I'm sorry. Hilde, that's Duo and that's Wufei. I'm helping them save some kidnapped friends,” Nasir informed.
 
Hilde smiled at the two males. “It's a pleasure to meet you both.” She then frowned, lost in thought for a moment. “Those names sound so familiar. I'm not sure where I've heard them though.”
 
“Um… there's a kid trying to climb a tree. Should she be doing that?” Duo asked suddenly, pointing to his left.
 
“Keissa. I've warned you time and time again not to climb up that tree. You don't have Quatre to help you this time,” Hilde scowled.
 
All three male's eyes widened at the name.
 
“Quatre? As in short, blonde who has trouble using magic?” Duo asked.
 
“You're that Duo? I knew I recognized that name. Trowa told me about Quatre's whole adventure with your group,” Hilde remarked.
 
“Who's Trowa?” Nasir questioned.
 
“Do you know where they went?” Duo inquired.
 
“Let's go sit down somewhere. It's a long story,” Hilde suggested as she led the group inside.
___________________________________
 
TBC…