Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Plight of the Unicorn ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Plight of the Unicorn

Author: Cloudy daze

Rating: As of right now it's PG-13. I haven't a clue if it will stay that way or not.

Category: AU, Fantasy, Sap, Angst, OOC probably, and yaoi.

Pairings: 2x1 and 3x4

Spoilers: Yet another AU so no.

Feedback: But of course.

Warnings: Umm… I don't know. It's got yaoi in it but that's pretty much a duh with all my stuff. ^_^ And of course I have my lovely doze of Angst and it's more then just Heero this time. ~Collective gasps from everyone~

Plight of the Unicorn

Chapter One

The constant chattering around him sounded like bombs exploding inside his head. He groaned loudly, draping an arm over his eyes, trying to hide the light that threatened to wake him.

"I swear you're lazier than a stack of bricks. I should throw you out right now," a voice mused from in front of him.

The brunette slowly raised his head from the bar counter, wobbling as a wave of dizziness hit. He heard a sigh as a glass was pressed into the palm of his hand. The boy didn't even pause to give thanks as he greedily gulped down the water.

"You think you could stop getting drunk for once in your life?" the young man behind the counter asked.

"Well I am in a bar aren't I? What else am I supposed to do?"

The man rolled his blue eyes as he pulled all his long silver hair back and placed it in a ponytail. "Oh I don't know Duo. There are those things called jobs that most people get. You should try it sometime and stop freeloading off us," the bartender exclaimed.

"But Zechs, if you can't freeload from your family...then who else is there?" Duo said, his lips turned upward in a smile.

"I'm not even related to you. The only reason I haven't throw you out yet is because I'm living with your half-brother."

"Where is Fei any ways? Usually he's not too far from you," Duo questioned.

"He went to pick up the next shipment of supplies for the bar," Zechs answered.

The brunette nodded as he sat his head back down on the counter, preparing to fall asleep again.

"Oh no, you don't!! You are finding a job...now! You still have to pay the inn for all the nights you've spent there." The bartender jabbed a finger at the boy. "You are lucky that his daughter is sweet on you or you'd be working for him! You also need to pay that merchant back to the stuff he gave you on credit. You promised you'd give him the money the next day and never did." Zechs leaned in and glared at Duo. "Plus....you owe me for all the liquor you drink here. Which, I might add, that I allow you to have even though you are underage." He announced standing back up.

"Enough already! I get your point," the boy exclaimed as he sat up in the stool.

"There's a corkboard beside the front door that has a bunch of help wanted signs on it. About a handful of them are local town folk who want their sons or daughters taught magic," Zechs informed. He frowned slightly as he gazed at the sagging figure across from him. "Although frankly I find it hard to believe you would even remember how to do magic."

Duo snorted at the comment. "I'm one of the best sorcerers in the whole kingdom. It's like riding a horse. Once you learn the abilities they're always there," the brunette announced.

He calmly held out his hand, grinning as a ball of fire leapt from the palm. He suddenly cried out, falling to the ground as water doused the flame and soaked his lower arm.

"How many times do I have to tell you? No fire in this bar. You already owe me for that table you caught on fire a month ago," the silver haired man exclaimed.

"Forgot about that one," Duo murmured.

The boy slowly stood up, shaking the stray droplets of water off of him before making his way over to the front door. "Ok let's see…"

The brunette quickly scanned the dozens of small pages that cluttered the board. "Not enough money. Not enough money. This one might… oh wait that man hates me. He would never let me teach his daughter. Not enough money again. Who in their right mind would train someone for this much? Not enough…"

Duo froze as his gaze landed on one specific piece of paper. "Hello. Man Zechs, this is a boat load of money for just one kid," he remarked.

"Who is it?" the older man asked.

"Some kid named Quatre Winner. His family must be rich to offer this much to teach him," Duo answered.

"You might want to stick to someone else. You won't get anything out of taking up training him," Zechs stated.

"Why? The kid a trouble-maker?" Duo inquired.

The silver haired man laughed at the very notion. "Hardly. The boy is one of the sweetest kids I know. He just can't seem to learn magic. Three other sorcerers have all tried to teach him and failed."

"They just didn't do it right then. Different people require different teaching methods. I like a good challenge though," the brunette said with a smirk.

"Well good luck then. At least this gets you out of my bar for awhile," Zechs exclaimed.

"Oh I know you're going to miss me," Duo cooed as he blew several kisses at the older man.

Zechs sighed as he turned to talk to a customer who had come up for a drink. The brunette watched the transaction with a smile before turning away and walking out the door.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The sounds of laughter brought a smile to the boy's lips as he entered the backyard. Several small children were scattered throughout the area; some frolicking with the dogs while others played together on the wooden swing set.

"Uncle Quatre!" one blonde girl squealed as she jumped of the swing and ran to him.

The older boy scooped up the child into his arms, softly running his fingers through her fine hair. "Farah, I didn't know you had arrived. Where's your mother?" the boy asked.

The girl giggled as she wrapped her arms around his neck. "Mommy is talking to grandpa right now. Mommy told me she's going to have baby. I hope it's a girl cause boy's have cooties," the child exclaimed.

"Well I'm a boy," Quatre commented as he tickled her under her chin, causing her to squeal loudly, "Do I have cooties?"

"Of course not silly. You're a grow up. Cooties go away when you get older," the girl said matter of factly.

The blonde boy grinned at the innocent remark. He gently set the girl down, patting her head. "Now you go back and have some fun. I promise I'll come out and play with you later as soon as I see your mother," the blonde remarked, as he gave Farah a light kiss on her forehead.

The child nodded before running back to the swing set. Quatre sighed as he turned away from the yard and returned to the house. The blonde boy made his way through the hallway, pausing by a closed door when he heard faint talking behind it. He frowned faintly as he stopped in front of the wooden door, gently pressing his ear to the cold oak.

"Father, you can't be serious!"

"I'm at my wits end here! The boy is useless. I've gone through three sorcerers and he still hasn't learned a bit of magic. That wouldn't be a problem in itself, but he's just not good at anything. He can't do metalwork or wood work. He can barely ride a pony let alone a charger! And even if he could, the boy refuses to fight!"

"He's only fifteen. I think he just needs more time…"

"More time? By fifteen I had all four of you girls' married off and your brother, Nasir left at fourteen to train to be a knight. He should already know what he wants to do and be out on his own by now, not sitting here at home reading and taking care of his little brother and sisters. That's what a caretaker is for!"

Quatre sighed, as he pulled away from the door. His father was right. He was pretty useless. He wasn't strong and big like his older brother. Why can't I do anything right? Every time I try something I just fail at it! He stared at his dainty small hands. I should have been a girl, then I wouldn't have this problem. Father would have just married me off and that would have been the end. But no I have to be this wimpy little boy who can't even get magic down. Why is it that my ten year old sister can do a simple protection spell and I can't?

The blonde's blue eyes fixed on his palm, trying to will a flame, a spark of light, anything to appear on it. He groaned inwardly, clenching his fist when nothing happened. I'm so pathetic.

The boy lowered his hand and took one last longing look at the door before quickly walking away. He finally stopped when he heard a faint cry from several rooms away. Quatre turned into the doorway and went over to the crib. He pulled the small baby boy into his arms, rocking his slowly.

"It's alright, Hadi. I'm here for you," the blonde whispered. He softly began to sing to the baby, lulling him back into a peaceful slumber.

"You're a wonder with that, little brother," a voice commented from beside the door.

Quatre turned to look at his older sister. Of all his sisters who had moved out he cared the most about her. Iria was the one who had taken care of him after his mother had died when he was five years old, giving him the affection that he seriously needed after the harsh death. Her visits were rare and few, since her home was several days travel away from the villa and she had four children of her own to take care of.

The boy gently set the infant back into the crib before turning to give his sister a big hug.

"Farah tells me that you're pregnant again. You really should watch out for yourself. You just had Hadi less than seven months ago," the blonde commented.

Iria laughed faintly, releasing her brother. She then turned and left the room, indicating that he should follow. "You're right of course. My husband just can't seem to be satisfied with these four however. He insisted we had another boy just in case," she exclaimed.

"And if it's a girl?" Quatre prompted.

"Well then I guess I'll be pregnant yet again. One of the young sorcerers in our village though said that it's a boy. So I believe I'll be stopping after this one," the light brown haired woman announced.

"That's good to know. So how long are you staying?" he asked.

"For a few days at least. I had to come visit so I could tell everyone I'm pregnant."

Quatre nodded in understand. "Well at least Father is proud of one of us," the boy murmured.

His sister sighed as she took her younger brother in her arms. "I know dear. I'm sure with time you'll find your true path in life. You just have to hold out a little longer," she whispered.

"I hope you're right," the blonde said softly.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Damn it men! Find it! If you don't find the creature our mistress will have our hides!" The man bellowed out.

Several men armed with bows and arrows quickly scattered through the forest, searching out the prey that always seemed to elude them. The woods were filled with the sounds of underbrush being trampled and shoved aside.

"I just saw it! Up there on the mountain side!" A young man screamed as he pointed to his left.

The great white stallion stood proudly on the rock face, mane flowing with a magic sparkle. The horn atop its forehead pulsed with a faint glowing light.

"Someone shoot that unicorn! Remember to only wound it! Our mistress wants it alive!" the men's leader ordered.

Arrows flew with great speed but none came close to even hitting the animal. The Unicorn turned to look at them all. It neighed loudly before the horn flashed bright and the creature vanished.

"Shit! Scour the countryside. It couldn't have teleported very far away!"

The leader watched them bolt through the forest, heading in ever which direction. Unknown to the humans however was the knowledge that the Unicorn had phased several miles away, hidden safely in a dark dank cave.

`It continues to grow worse with each passing day. No matter where I go the men continue to hunt me for their mistress,' the unicorn commented. He slowly sank down the ground, folding his four legs underneath him.

`If I had never been taken in the first place I wouldn't be in this predicament. I need help to return to my original shape,' he murmured to himself as he lowered his head to the ground.

`It's been a year sense I was kidnapped from him. I wonder if he's changed at all? He's the only one who can help me.'

The horse closed its eyes, envisioning the one that he wished to find. `Where are you Duo? I need your help.'

TBC…