Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Come What May ❯ Chapter 11 ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Come What May--A Sailor Moon/Rurouni Kenshin Crossover Fanfiction
 
DISCLAIMER: Characters do not belong to me; they belong to Takeuchi Naoko-sama and Nobuhiro Watsuki-sama (Aren't those two just wonderful).
 
*I'm setting this story in the Sailor Moon anime continuity, one year after the Sailor Moon Sailor Stars Season.  Usagi and the Inner Senshi are 17 year olds and Mamoru is 23 years old.  There are references to events that happen in the Sailor Moon anime and I give notes on them at the end of the chapter if you are confused.  For the Rurouni Kenshin part of the story, I am using the anime up till the “Kyoto arc” and then I switch to the manga for the “Revenge arc”.  Explanations of the RK events are also explained at the bottom.  If you don't know much about Sailor Moon or Rurouni Kenshin, be prepared for some spoilage.*
 
Chapter 11
By: Hime 
 
~*~*~*~
"Some love lasts a lifetime. True love lasts forever."
-Unknown
~*~*~*~
 
“Wow Usagi, I can't believe you actually know someone as cool as Kohakume-san!” Minako exclaimed as the she, Usagi, Ami, and Makoto walked down the hallway.
 
“What's that suppose to mean?” Usagi scowled at the other blonde.
 
Minako opened her mouth but luckily Makoto broke in. “Minako-chan, don't you have to go to volleyball club right now?”
 
“What're you talking about? Volleyball club practice isn't on today.”
 
“Oh, sorry then, my mistake.”
 
“Hey, you guys, I'll see you all tomorrow then. Bye!” Usagi waved cheerfully at them and ran on ahead to the school gates where Ryu had told her to wait for Shinnosuke. To her surprise, she found him already waiting for her. `I thought Ryu said that Shinnosuke never shows up on time?'
 
“Hi Shinnosuke!” Usagi chirped as she ran to his side. “Ryu told me that you'd be late but your earlier then I am.” When he turned his back to her and began walking away without greeting her back, she frowned for a moment before running to catch up to him. “Sorry for making you wait for me.” His reply was just a low grunt. Usagi was quiet for a few more minutes as she needed to conserve her breath as Shinnosuke walked faster and faster, his long legs striding forth, as if not to let her walk beside him, before she panted out to his back, “Are we that much in a rush to get to Keimei Elementary?”
 
Without pausing, Shinnosuke turned so she could look at his profile and replied, “If you can't keep up, maybe you should quit.”
 
Shocked, Usagi stopped moving and watched in almost detached interest as Shinnosuke continued on before she regained her senses.
 
“Ow! Shit!” Shinnosuke clutched the back of his head in pain and whirled around to glare at the girl running to meet him. She bent down to pick up the shoe she had just thrown at his head and slipped it on before raising her head to glare right back at him.
 
“Are you mad at me or something?”
 
“Of course I am! You just threw your fucking shoe at my head!” He shouted in anger.
 
“Well I wouldn't have done that if you weren't trying to run away from me!” Undaunted, Usagi yelled right back.
 
“Running away? What the he—never mind.” He turned away from her again but before he could actually start moving, she grabbed onto his jacket and dug in her heels.
 
“Why are you mad at me? I haven't done anything to you-”
 
”No, but you must have done something to Ryu.”
 
Usagi gasped in shock. “What?”
 
Shinnosuke looked at her, his eyes hard and serious. “I talked to Ryu right after he came home from the bank robbery and was told that since it was dangerous, you wouldn't be looking after the twins after all. And then he calls me yesterday to tell me he's changed his mind. That's a bunch of crap. What the hell do you have over him to make him change his mind?”
 
Taken aback, Usagi gaped at him before trying to answer, “I don't have anything over him. Ryu…”
 
At this, Shinnosuke took a step forward, looming over Usagi's petite form. “And where the hell do you get off just calling him `Ryu?' Who the hell are you? Who the hell are you to him?”
 
“I am his friend, that's all! And you call him Ryu so why can't I? Are you jealous or something?” Usagi glared up at Shinnosuke, unafraid of his towering over her. Her expression changed when she saw his eye twitch. “You are jealous!” she crowed in some delight. “Don't worry, I'm not going to steal your best-friend away from you.” She gave him a happy pat on his arm, and giggled as she walked past him down the sidewalk.
 
“H-hey! I'm not jealous or nothing like that!” He easily caught up with her, and automatically adjusted his stride to hers.
 
“Sure…”
 
“No really! I'm not!”
 
“Heheheh…”
 
“Oh shut-up.”
 
~*~*~*~
 
“Get out, get out, get out!” Yaruki screamed as Usagi hurriedly scuttled out of the bedroom that the boy shared with his brother.
 
“I only wanted to-” She quickly pulled the door shut in time to escape the paperback that had been flying towards her head.
 
“And don't come in here again!” Yaruki yelled at her from behind the closed door.
 
“Fine then!” she yelled back in anger and frustration. Stomping down the hallway, she fumed silently. `Stupid Yaruki.'
 
Shinnosuke and Yuuki were waiting for her at the bottom of the stairs. “Doesn't seem to like you, does he?” Shinnosuke asked with a smirk.
 
“I don't want to hear it from you.” Usagi snapped at him and grabbed Yuuki's arm, pulling him into the kitchen, Shinnosuke following the two casually. Leaning against the wall, Shinnosuke watched as Usagi and Yuuki put on clean, white aprons and began taking out various ingredients from around the kitchen. “And what are you guys making anyway?”
 
“Pancakes.” Usagi turned to Yuuki and said with a small grin, “Just to let you know, I'm not too good at cooking. I tend to burn things or if my food looks okay, it turns out to taste horrible. And when I actually do cook something that taste good, it doesn't really look that appetizing…” Usagi's head gradually lowered and lowered as she began talking about her various cooking mishaps when Yuuki patted her on the arm.
 
“That's all right, I know how to cook. Just follow my instructions and it'll be fine.” Usagi face grew happier when she heard this and her smile caused Yuuki to develop just a hint of a blush. Shinnosuke began snickering to himself.
 
Clearing his throat, Yuuki said with some authority, “First we should measure out all the ingredients before we actually do anything. Turning he saw to his astonishment that Usagi had already dumped a huge amount of flour into the mixing bowl and was adding about four eggs to the amount.
 
“Umm Usagi-san, you have to-” and it was at this point that Usagi grabbed the hand blender.
 
~*~*~*~
 
“Wow, you're only ten and you already know you want to be a doctor. That's really something…”
 
Ryu walked into his house to find the scent of something sweet in the air. Following the sound of voices, he entered the dining room where Usagi, Shinnosuke and the twins were sitting around the table, empty plates pushed away to the sides as Usagi and the twins had books opened in front of them.
 
“I'm home.”
 
Startled, Usagi glanced up from her math workbook to see Ryu standing in the doorway, a smile on his face.
 
“Welcome back.” She greeted him as he sat down across from her. “We made some pancakes and we still have leftovers. You should have some.” Yuuki had already gotten up and headed into the kitchen to fetch his dad some of the pancakes.
 
Yaruki snorted, “What do you mean `we made pancakes?' Yuuki's the one that really made them.”
 
“Like you should talk! You didn't make them either. All you did was wash the dishes.” Shinnosuke gave a snort of his own.
 
“Well at least I did something. You just stood there and made comments.”
 
“Hey, as the oldest one here, I was supervising the whole process.”
 
“Supervising my ass…”
 
“Now, now, Yaruki-chan, you know you're not my type…”
 
“S-stupid! Shut-up!”
 
Yuuki held back his laughter, his shoulders quivering a little from the effort as he put the plate down in front of his father. His task done, he went back to his seat besides Usagi and subtly tried to look over her computations to make sure she was doing it correctly. Unfortunately, she caught his gaze and with a frown she told him “Hey, I'm seven years older then you. I can do my own homework correctly.”
 
“But…” Yuuki's voice trailed off at her expression before he spoke up again, “I think you were suppose to multiply those numbers fist before you do the other side.” He pointed the problem out to her with his finger.
 
Usagi glared at the problem before her and then with a sheepish grin, her right hand rubbing the back of her head, she admitted, “Yeah, I think you're right.”
 
Yuuki and Shinnosuke exploded with laughter, their argument with each other forgotten as they found a new target.
 
“Hey, I'm seven years older then you. I can do my own homework correctly.” Shinnosuke repeated in a high falsetto.
 
“But I guess age has nothing to do with how smart you are.” Yaruki taunted with a huge grin on his face.
 
“Do you want me to hit you again?” Usagi said fuming, at the young boy sitting diagonally from her.
 
Ryu smiled to himself and watched as Shinnosuke and Yaruki kept up their teasing until Usagi began to chase the two of them around the table. He couldn't help but reminisce about the familiarity of the scene around him. `Just like then…' Just at that moment, on their next circuit around the table, Shinnosuke's elbow clipped the back of Ryu's head, and he went face first down into his plate. `Yep, exactly like before.'
 
~*~*~*~
 
“Isn't it kind of lonely without Usagi-chan here?” Minako asked out loud at their study session about three weeks later.
 
“Lonely?” Rei asked in disdain. “Hmph, it's more peaceful without her. We can actually get some work done.”
 
“Oh come on,” Minako flapped her hand at the dark-haired priestess. “You probably miss her more than anyone else.”
 
“And why would that be.” Rei asked, her voice sounding irritated.
 
“Because now you don't have anyone to yell at.”
 
“Oh no, there's still someone here I can yell at…”
 
`Oh Minako,' Makoto shook her head in exasperation at her blonde friend. `You have too learn to stop saying whatever comes to your head…'
 
“I wonder how's she's doing…” Ami said somewhat wistfully, causing three heads to turn towards her. “I hope she's completing her homework…” Ami sighed and then turned back to her English textbook.
 
Makoto caught herself, hands to the table to stop herself from falling over.
“See, even Ami-chan misses Usagi-chan. Kind of. I guess…” Minako said, breaking the silence. “She hardly ever hangs out with us anymore. We only see her on Saturdays when we study.”
 
“Well she's a bit busy right now,” Makoto shrugged. “I'm sure after the fun of having a job passes, we'll see her more.”
 
“And why is Kohakume-san letting her watch his kids?” Rei yelled, glaring off to the side. Minako and Makoto both sat up straight in surprise, though Ami continued to look over her notes as if nothing had happened. “It just doesn't make any sense. Argh!”
 
“Um, are you okay?” Makoto asked concerned at how heavy Rei was breathing.
 
“I already told you that Kohakume-san was a nice man.” Ami said plainly, looking up from her notebook. “There's no reason to be so suspicious of him.”
 
“You only know what you're mom told you. It's not that you actually met him yourself.” Rei tossed her hair behind her, and sniffed in dissatisfaction.
 
“Well then,” Ami said somewhat icily, “if you don't trust what my mom says, why don't you go and talk to him instead of taking your frustrations out on us.”
 
`Whoa,' Makoto shook her head at the dangerous turn the conversation just took, `you don't say anything about Ami-chan's mom…' While normally sweet and somewhat self-effacing, Ami tended to get upset if she felt her mother had been slighted.
 
Rei flushed red. “I didn't mean that we couldn't trust your mother-”
 
“Well that's what it sounded like.”
 
`Oh man, this was not sounding good.' Makoto winced.
 
Rei took in a deep breath before letting it go in a huge sigh. “Look, I'm sorry okay. I'm sorry.”
 
Ami looked at Rei hard before she seemed to become aware of herself again. Blushing lightly, she said, “No, I overreacted. I'm sorry.”
 
“No, no, don't say you're sorry.”
 
“But-”
 
“No, Ami-chan, drop it. It's not your fault.” Rei smiled before adding somewhat darkly, “If anything, it's Usagi's fault.”
 
Everyone pretended not to hear her comment.
 
~*~*~*~
 
Ryu picked up the phone to hear Chagashi-san's voice on the other end. “I'm sorry to bother you, but there's someone here to see you.”
 
“I don't remember having any appointments this afternoon.” Ryu frowned as he looked up his daily schedule on his computer.
 
“No, he didn't schedule an appointment, but he says that what he needs to see you about is very important.”
 
This was the moment Ryu felt a deep foreboding. “Alright if it's so important, I'll meet with him. Did he give you his name?”
 
“Yes. Sek-Gong Akira-san.”
 
Ryu drew in his breath sharply. “Send him in.”
 
~*~*~*~
 
Author's Notes:
 
Okay everyone, sorry for taking so long. Also, sorry about this (short and probably boring) filler chapter but I needed to establish a sense of time passing so this chapter needed to be written. The next chapter should have a lot more action and plot, so stay tuned for that. In fact, I think the story's pace will really start to pick up after the next chapter so “yay!” On another note, I've noticed that my writing style has really changed since I began writing this and so if the chapter sounds weird please let me know. Now days, I write a lot of oneshots and drabbles, so writing longer prose felt a little weird to me. Also, I am still looking for a beta reader; so if anyone is interested, please contact me.
 
Hime
2/1/06