InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Strange Fate ❯ Goodbye ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha and Co.

Strange Fate

Chapter 1

___________________________________________________

Kagome Higurashi sat uncharacteristically quiet in front of a crackling fire. She watched as the yellow-orange flames licked at and danced around each other; a beautiful ballet seldom appreciated.

Her eyes wandered from the flames to her friends who sat in a slightly scattered circle around the warm blaze. Miroku was dozing, leaning on his staff for support while Sango was curled up sleeping nearby with Kirara nestled in her arms. Kagome absently looked down at Shippo in her lap, stroking his reddish hair back tenderly, not wanting to wake her adopted kit.

A soft chuckle drifted into Kagome's ears, inwardly making her cringe. Her honey-brown eyes shifted to the right, focusing on the shadows slightly beyond the reach of the firelight.

Inuyasha was propped up against a tree, Kikyou wrapped in his arms. He inclined his head slightly, whispering something in her ear. She laughed quietly, the grating sound like nails down a chalkboard. Kagome focused on the fire once more, musing over her last four years spent in the Feudal Era.

When she had arrived here as a young schoolgirl, Kagome could now look back and say she had been naïve about a lot of things. She realized that couldn't take on the world by herself, and that she couldn't save someone who didn't want to be saved. Inuyasha had been her first love, but Kagome soon realized that he would never return that love. His heart still belonged to Kikyou, no matter how many times she betrayed him, or attempted to drag him to hell.

As time passed, Kagome had come to terms with how poor she was doing in school, and although finding the shards were important, her education was also important. Much to Inuyasha's resentment, Kagome had begun spending more time at home, trying to play catch-up with her schoolwork, only crossing time to search for shards on the weekends.

Consequently that was why Kikyou was traveling with them now. Kagome didn't know what bargain the two had struck to form this alliance but it was clear to all, Kikyou had taken Kagome's place as the `shard detector'.

Inuyasha had even gone so far as to tell Kagome that she wasn't needed anymore…and that she could go home for good and study all she wanted. Little did he know at that point in her life, Kagome had graduated high school with honors, and had put college on hold to come back to the Feudal Era to help wrap up this whole business with Naraku and the shards.

But, no matter, even if Inuyasha and Kikyou didn't want her or need her, she always had Sango and Miroku to fall back on. They had stuck by her with every decision she had made, and Kagome could not possibly express how much she appreciated that.

Although, just recently Kagome had made a decision that would change everything, and she wasn't sure even Sango and Miroku would understand. Kagome had chosen that infamous path less traveled, and would begin searching for Shikon shards on her own. She would prove herself to Inuyasha once and for all. She would prove that she was strong, intelligent, and that she wasn't just a worthless copy of the woman he loved. She would finish the goddamned jewel on her own, even if it killed her.

Kagome had decided that she would leave tonight after everyone had fallen asleep. She shifted Shippo so that she could lie down without waking him and began to feign sleep, quietly waiting for the sounds of Inuyasha and Kikyou's murmurs to fade away into slumber.

After about an hour and a half by Kagome's watch, Inuyasha and Kikyou finally fell asleep. She sat up slowly, casting a glance around her group, ensuring that everyone was fast asleep before standing up,

Kagome carefully gathered Shippo in her arms, slightly concerned that he might wake up and start talking, but the kit was still snoring softly even with all her activity. She made her way to a nearby bush, where she had placed, or rather hid her pack earlier on for easy access. Kagome cast one more glance back at the group, fingering the fragment of Shikon that hung around her neck absently.

"Goodbye." She whispered softly, slowly turning around, fading into the shadowy forest, beginning a journey of her own, and letting fate lead the way.