Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Par Tout Autre Nom ❯ Two to Tango ( Chapter 44 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: Inuyasha and Yu Yu Hakusho belong respectively to Rumiko Takahashi and Yoshihiro Togashi.

A/N: -flops over and cradles coffee cup lovingly- Good gods, I'm stunned I got this thing put together after how busy we've been. I've been taking my work home nights and carrying on at odd hours to get everything done that I need to. Uck. Anyhow, since it's been so long, we should get in some fluff, yes?

For all of you who've stuck it out, thank you so very much for being patient! Everyone from FF.N and Mediaminer, your reviews and emails have been a great, GREAT stress relief in my attempts to take breathers. You're wonderful, and you've helped my sanity stay intact more than I can adequately show or say. Just… thank you, very much.

<~*~*~*~>

By Any Other Name

~ Two to Tango~

"I must admit that the last person I expected to run into while I was here was my Shuuichi," Shiori smiled briefly up at the charming boy pouring her tea as she spoke. "And then to find he had such a pleasant surprise for me, well… It's all very overwhelming, but I couldn't be more excited. I hope you can forgive me for behaving so strangely earlier, Kagome-chan."

Kagome leaned forward slightly with every intent to respond when Houjo appeared at the table, turning over cups with practiced efficiency. He smiled shyly at the miko as he held up the steaming kettle in a speaking gesture, "A special blend, Higurashi. It's good for circulation and the immune system."

"Old habits, Houjo-kun?" Kagome couldn't resist teasing just to see the way the blush spread across his nose. Holding up her hand and giggling, she reassured him that she was only teasing, "I'm flattered you care so much for my continued health. It's very sweet of you, thank you."

Kurama hid an edged smile behind his hand when he noticed the way Shiori was now subtly inspecting this "Houjo-kun" who was behaving so familiarly with Kagome, She doesn't seem to like him very much.

`It took you this long to introduce a single girl to her,' Youko shrugged lazily, lounging back in their soul with half an ear out for any indication his lover was going to win him that bet. `If "Houjo-kun" says one thing she translates as a threat to our success in making those babies she's imagining, I guarantee she'll figure out a way to lock him in the freezer. Or maybe it would be us in the freezer with Kagome? Either way. Ooh, can't you just-'

No.

`You didn't even let me finish,' Youko pouted.

You don't have to, Kurama leaned back in his chair, slanting a subtle look to Kagome as she reached up to accept her own drink.

"Please call for me if you need anything else, Higurashi," Houjo offered softly as he recovered from his minor embarrassment, blissfully unaware of the less than cordial thoughts towards his existence. He bowed politely to the table as he set down the kettle and stepped back, "I'm always glad to help out, and to see so much of you in a healthy condition is a very comforting experience."

"Of course, Houjo-kun, thank you again for being so accommodating," Kagome laughed and shook her head at the unchanged level of politeness in her classmate's speech. "I'm sorry to keep putting you out like this."

Houjo smiled widely, that faint blush returning across the bridge of his nose as he bowed again and hurried to insist, "Ah, no trouble, Higurashi, none at all! Anything for a friend!"

She couldn't help but shake her head as he hurried away to answer a call for his assistance, sighing in nostalgic amusement before she responded to Shiori's remarks, "You have nothing at all to be forgiven for, Minamino-san. I'm terribly sorry that you had to find out about Shuuichi and myself this way rather than with a more appropriate introduction."

Kurama used the excuse of correcting her to lean in close and murmur quietly in her ear, "My mother remarried, Kagome-chan, I'm sorry I forgot to mention it. Hatanaka-san is more appropriate now."

Kagome blinked and glanced over at him, leaning back to bring her hands to her lap, "How impolite of me not to ask."

`Oooh ho… now she's angry,' Youko winced, leaning back as his tail started to flick in agitation. `Dammit, Kurama you're getting us into worse trouble when all she's done is help us out with this!'

"I hope I haven't offended you," Kagome was offering an apologetic bow across the table, as she discreetly reached over and brought her hand to rest on Kurama's knee in deceptive affection. "Whenever Shuuichi-kun and I spoke, he called you Okaa-sama. I simply assumed the names were the same."

"Oh no, no, you haven't offended me in the slightest, Kagome-chan!" Shiori rushed to assure her when she recognized the interaction between them, the silent signs that her baby had just gotten himself in trouble. On one hand, she was delighted to see the two of them behaving so very much like a couple all ready, but on the other… Ah, my poor Shuuichi seems to have still managed to hold onto that universal boy-thinking, she smiled fondly at him when he shifted nervously on his chair and murmured something that she fervently hoped was an apology into his girlfriend's ear.

"I meant to have more time with you before I asked you to meet my human mother, Kagome," Kurama didn't even mind that Youko was spilling over, covering her hand with his in an effort to show his very real remorse and his desire to make amends. "I'll make it up to you, I promise."

`Promise something good,' Youko insinuated their fingers into hers, squeezing her hand with a relieved sigh when she didn't pull away. `If she's letting us hold her hand like this, then at least it's not completely unsalvageable. Oh! I know! Tell her she can be on top the first time!'

Kurama would have dropped his head in his hands and cried right there if it had been a more private situation. As it was, he dropped his forehead against her hair for a brief moment and let out a pained sigh, YoukoI swear to gods

Kagome bit the inside of her cheek to stop from chuckling at the discomfort the kitsune was practically radiating, not quite willing to let him see that her annoyance with him had been more of a passing thing. If his mother wasn't offended or embarrassed by Kagome's error, then she was willing to let the matter slide, but now... Well, after all, there was just something terribly endearing about seeing an ancient youkai like Kurama getting flustered all for the sake of pleasing his human mother, I'm a terrible person for enjoying seeing him this way.

Hiding a chuckle behind her hand, Shiori interrupted to bail her son out of the trouble he was in over his omission, "It really is all right. Shuuichi was in high-school by the time I remarried, and it's only a name, Kagome-chan. I am still myself and you are speaking to me with sincere emotions regardless of what you call me. Besides, I may be Hatanaka Shiori now, but I will still always be Minamino as well."

She did laugh at the startled expressions that reassurance earned her from the pair, taking a quick sip of her tea to hide it and smother the urge to remark on how similar they looked at that moment. It looks like my mother was right, no matter how you raise them, they always think you can't possibly understand them. Although, now I understand how she pulled the same trick with me.

That was… disturbingly appropriate for us, Kurama blinked, leaning back in his chair as he regarded his mother in a carefully guarded, calculating manner.

`No argument,' Youko subconsciously tightened his hold on Kagome's hand. `How did she know to say those words to us in this situation? She doesn't know about us or about our lover, but somehow she just offered us the best solution to how we can approach this.'

Explaining us to her? Kurama snuck a sideways look at the thoughtful expression slowly overtaking the surprise on Kagome's face. Damn, I love those eyes.

Youko smiled, chuckling softly as he brought their other hand down to glide a caress across her knuckles, `I expect a very nice thank you for finding her, you know. But no, I meant about how to tell her that her former marriage is not an issue to us the way it might be to some pathetic human boy. Whatever she was, whoever she was before she met us, doesn't matter. She's ours for who she is to us, and the past only made her into the person we desire. We just have to make her see it that way.'

Kurama felt a shiver run down his spine, hiding a frown at the intensity of Youko's voice, Youko… how long has this been bothering you?

`It wasn't bothering me, but I've been thinking about how we need to get her to open up about it since that wolf let it slip,' Youko shrugged and brushed that bit of information aside as inconsequential. `There isn't any room for mistakes in this matter, Kurama, not when we're speaking with her directly. If nothing else, she needs to understand that I won't be influenced by such things.'

You really are obsessed with her, Kurama murmured in disbelief. What the fuck, Youko? I thought this was a game to you.

`Oh it is a game,' Youko purred back, undaunted by the accusation despite making sure that Kurama was aware of his displeasure at it. `It's just become a very serious one that I decided I would play with you instead of staying in the background. Kagome is going to be ours, but that doesn't mean I'm obsessed. I'm focused.'

Why did you pick now of all damn times to finally open up about this!? Kurama hissed out angrily, shaking his head to reassure Kagome when she sent him a concerned look. I've been prodding you for weeks trying to get answers!

`When or where I decided to answer you doesn't matter,' Youko returned, pushing his boundaries to lean closer to Kagome and draw that faint scent deep into his lungs. `Just like names and history, and all this human bullshit doesn't matter. Shiori-kun is right, and I simply decided this was time you knew I won't let anything fuck this up.'

Kagome felt the rising youki seep into her palm, warming her soul and parting her lips on a silent gasp at the bizarre way it went straight into her without the slightest encouragement. Biting down on her tongue to hold in a moan that would have been nothing short of humiliating in this situation, she gripped his hand hard to remind him of where they were and smiled at Shiori.

"You sounded very much like a very dear friend of mine, Minamino-kun," Kagome glanced furtively at Kurama again, debating with herself over whether or not she could soothe his youki without having a more direct connection. She finally shifted her weight to press her leg against his, bumping him with her knee to give him another point of focus as she continued. "It's just a name." Or a title… "And I'm glad that Shuuichi had such a wonderful mother to raise him and still take care of him now."

"Oh don't be silly, Shuuichi has been able to take care of himself without my help for a long time, Kagome-chan," Shiori waved her hand to brush off the compliment, but she was still smiling over it while her eyes lingered on the decreased space between them as though she could see right through the table. "I'm the one who should be telling you that I'm glad he's found such a sweet person who obviously makes him happy."

Kagome blushed and ducked her head, absently pushing her hair behind her ear with her free hand. She mentally crossed her fingers and hoped she wasn't about to admit something too serious for the human woman, "He is… someone special to me."

Shiori's brows lifted in surprise, feeling her lips twitch and try to spread into a delighted smile at such a blunt admission, Someone special to her.

Kurama and Youko had gone still, overly aware of the sounds around them in the café and the feel of every place their bodies touched. Kagome's pulse was beating steadily against their skin as their table's silence stretched on. He could feel his eyes trying to flash gold, taking a slow, deliberate breath against the rush of emotion making him burn from the inside out, She said-

`She told Shiori-kun she has feelings for us,' Youko flooded their soul, pulling and twisting in his effort to get loose enough to act on his instincts. `She's human, she knows how that will sound, and she said it anyway!'

Easy! Kurama's teeth clenched so hard the muscle in his jaw spasmed. Public, Youko, public! We cannot up and change right here just because she's openly letting us deeper into her affections.'

`You are going to pick her up right now and carry her somewhere private, and I'm going to show her just how special we're going to stay to her,' Youko seethed against Kurama's stubborn control. `Goddammit, Kurama, you are not going to stop me from touching her when she says something so important! She just admitted that she thinks of us seriously too, and I'm not going to waste this chance to imprint on her soul!'

She might just be saying it for Okaa-sama's benefit, you impatient over-sexed bastard! Kurama shot back, straining against the older spirit as Youko leaned them over to whisper in her ear. Stop it!

`No.'

"You did that on purpose, little lover," Youko accused her, pulling her hand up higher into their lap just in case she tried to take it away.

Kagome slanted a particularly sly look at him subtly beneath her lashes, but turned away to reach for her tea without answering him.

Kurama blinked at her in amazement, unable to stop himself from looking up at his mother as though she would hold the answer to the question he hadn't voiced. Unfortunately, Shiori seemed content to try hiding her giggling behind her cup, returning his gaze with one that clearly told him she was enjoying the sight of them together.

Oh my gods, Kurama's brows lowered in frustration. She does know how we would want to react, and she knows we can't with our mother here.

`I told you she would want revenge,' Youko snickered, preening over yet another successful prediction. `How many times do I have to remind you that she and Shippou have a family bond? She knows our kind, and she knows how to get to us if she wants.'

Are they laughing at us? his mouth opened, closing again when an uncertain sound emerged against his will.

`Ah… my sneaky, sneaky little miko lover,' Youko was shaking his head, lips spreading in a smile that Kurama knew much better than to get on the wrong side of. `I knew she was the playful sort. Then againI did warn you she was too, and this little trick means I win. It's my turn now.'

Not in front of my mother! Kurama nearly panicked, reining him back in before the kitsune could let his aura expand. No, Youko. You were right and she's starting it, but I'm not going to let you give us away in public like this.

`Did I say I would give us away?' Youko arched one eyebrow, turning up his nose at the suggestion he'd have so little control. `I just said I want to play, I never said I would let them see all of me for it.'

I forbid you from using this body to humiliate us in front of Okaa-sama, Kurama ground out, turning to hide the way his eye twitched.

`That's amusing… considering this body wouldn't exist if not for me,' Youko smirked, wrapping his arms around their soul to tuck it closer to his own presence. `I won, Kurama, fair and clear. Let me go to collect my prize or I won't take your feelings into consideration and I'll take over on my own. Your choice.'

You wouldn't dare.

`I've been waiting a long time for a lover I can play with, Kurama, are you sure about that?' Youko whispered back.

"What do you do for a living, Kagome-chan?" Shiori folded her hands together on the table, determined to find out as much about the woman she was absolutely certain was going to become her daughter-in-law. Her husband and step-son were going to insist on details the moment they heard Shuuichi had introduced her to a girl, "My son mentioned your family had a temple?"

"More than one, actually," Kagome nodded to show that was true and taking from Kurama's silence that he wanted her to indicate a serious relationship. "My mother and grandfather live in my own family's shrine, but my brothers and I are staying at our cousin's temple. Souta is training while I teach children's classes and help Shinju with temple duties."

Youko chuckled softly, bringing one hand up to drag his thumb over his bottom lip as Kurama struggled to think of ways to keep him at bay, `Hear that? Two more down…'

What? Kurama frowned slightly in bemusement at the change of topic.

`Cousins,' he clarified with a snort of annoyance. `Pay more attention, Kurama, you're going to hurt our reputation. That monk boy, Shinju, and Hitokaze are closely related to her. That means they aren't competition, they're potential allies.'

You're going to strut around in my head and preen for the rest of the day, aren't you? Kurama fought the urge to pinch the bridge of his nose.

`I'll let you know after we've played with Kagome,' Youko smirked, batting aside the last of Kurama's strained defenses to slip himself more firmly into the dominant position.

"Children?" Shiori visibly perked up, eyes sparkling as she sent Kurama a brief, searching looks.

"She's very good with them," Youko carefully made their expression more mild, giving Shiori a conspiratorial wink as he curled his fingers around Kagome's wrist. "A natural, I'd say."

Youko, I'll find a way to kill you if it kills me, Kurama gritted out when Kagome sent him an openly suspicious stare.

`That sounds stupid, you know,' Youko brushed him off, shifting his right leg to press more firmly against hers. `Just watch, Shiori will think it's harmless flirting and our lover will realize she's playing against a master.'

"You like children, Kagome-chan?" the question might have succeeded in sounding innocent if Shiori hadn't picked that moment to lean forward eagerly, giving away her hope for the answer with her eyes.

Kagome's mouth opened, slowly closing again as a faraway look crept through her eyes for just a moment. Her free hand moved subconsciously to fist loosely at her navel as she offered a faintly melancholy smile, "Very much, Minamino-kun."

Youko kept his hold on her wrist in his left hand, freeing the right to discreetly slide around her waist and tuck her against their side in an instinctive effort to soothe her, `Now that makes me curious about that answer.'

Do you think she might have had a child? Kurama forgot all about fighting with Youko, curiosity sparking at the telling, protective gesture.

`If she did, she doesn't now,' Youko's eyes narrowed slightly, giving her a comforting squeeze and smiling happily when she let him pull her even closer. `She would keep any children close to her, where she could fight for them if she had to. If she lost a baby the same time as this Miroku person dammit, we need to get her to open up to us about her dead husband. We can't fix it until she tells us what happened.'

Fix it?

`Don't bother me, I'm busy thinking,' Youko replied vaguely.

"I hear you invited Shuuichi with you on a vacation?" Shiori moved on, sitting back with a satisfied, even sly look after hearing such a favorable answer to help along her dreams for grandbabies. "Just the two of you?"

Kagome had to bite back a laugh, having a sudden flash of how interesting taking Kurama to meet her own mother was going to be, "My uncle will insist I have someone with me to keep me out of trouble. But Shuuichi and I need to have some… private time to ourselves, so I asked him to join me."

She could almost see the wheels turning in Shiori's head, the distracted nod as the older woman hid her mouth with her cup yet again while casting furtive glances at the casual display of public affection. I guess mothers really are all alike, Kagome bit down on her lip, taking comfort from the warmth wrapping itself around her soul the longer Kurama held onto her. If he's her only child, then? He and I are going to have a talk after this.

It was the foot hooking around her ankle that pulled Kagome out of her perusal, making her jump slightly and turn a startled look on Kurama. He continued to stare straight ahead at his mother, his voice practically dripping with innocence as he told her about the plan to visit Yoshimi-cho. All while he loosened his grip on her wrist to drag fingertips along her bare skin to the elbow, and his foot maneuvered to hold her leg in a fixed position.

"Are you all right, Kagome-chan?" Shiori's voice filled with very real concern at the sudden jump, frowning as she turned to look for the man who had served them. "Should I get-?

"No!" Kagome hurried to reassure her, sending a scowl full of promise at Kurama when the faint snicker reached her ears. "No, Minamino-kun, I'm fine. My foot was starting to fall asleep, that's all."

Youko dipped his head and snuck in a quick kiss to her cheek, murmuring quietly, "You were asking for it, honey. Don't think I won't take you up on the challenge."

Kagome glanced at Shiori to be certain she wasn't looking before she hissed back, "Who said it was a challenge?"

"Kitsune have a sense about these things," he nipped her ear, sitting up with an angelic expression when Shiori turned back around.

Kagome felt a tiny thrill snake down her spine in anticipation, her soul reacting to his voice just as much as the bite, Oh now it's war.

"Are you sure?" Shiori reached for her purse. "Are you feeling ill? I think I might have some medicine if you're in pain."

Kurama was suddenly grateful for Youko's position, safe to drop his head in his hands from his hidden spot within their soul at his mother's reaction, She's acting like Kagome's going to have a heart attack in front of us.

`Stop acting like you aren't ecstatic about how much she likes our lover,' Youko scolded in amusement, tensing slightly to hold Kagome in place when she tried to sneak her leg out from under his. `I can feel it, Kurama. You're happy as hell and relaxing now that Shiori-kun obviously approves of her, and that Kagome likes her back.'

Kurama sighed, propping his chin up in his palm as he nodded and admitted, She just looks so excited to be meeting Kagome.

`Mmm,' Youko made the noncommittal sound, much more focused on Kagome's efforts to stave off the maternal worry. `Just imagine how excited she'll be when she can see our pretty miko rounding out with our baby.'

The abrupt flash of images through their head at the wide assortment of ways Youko was turning over to accomplish that end had Kurama going still against under an almost violent jolt of lust. He couldn't help but shake his head, awestruck and fascinated that Youko could be thinking of such things to that level of detail while giving nothing away in their eyes or posture, You have got to be the biggest pervert that ever existed.

`Greatest pervert, get it right,' Youko slid his thumb up under Kagome's shirt, drawing a line back and forth across the skin above her jeans.

My mistake, Kurama rolled his eyes.

Kagome slipped her hand out from under Kurama's hold, gripping his knee in warning as she laughed and promised, "It's really nothing. Please don't worry about something so silly, Minamino-kun."

"I'd hate to see you get ill for your vacation, Kagome-chan," Shiori reached out to pick up the kettle and refill her tea. "You should drink more tea, that young man said it was good for your health."

"Yes, Kagome, we can't have you getting ill for our trip," Youko turned his hand to slip it down past her waistband, letting the heavy curtain of his hair conceal the wicked smile flashing across his face when her eyes went wide.

That's it, Fox, I didn't marry the greatest pervert who ever existed just to get one-upped in a restaurant by a kitsune wanting to be my lover, Kagome felt her stomach tense and flutter under the fingertips playing over her hipbone.

You're asking for it, Youko, Kurama warned, frowning slightly as he tried in vain to settle their instincts back to a calmer level.

`Stop being so para-whoa!' Youko let out a startled yelp in the safety of their mind when Kagome's hand left their knee only to slip behind their chair and down the back of his pants as naturally as though she had done the exact same thing a million times. `Holy Hells!'

We just… oh gods, we just got groped! By a miko, Kurama covered his mouth with one hand, unable to prevent the laughter that bubbled up out of him at seeing Youko surprised like that. I don't believe it!

Youko nearly growled, their eyes briefly flashing gold when she gave his a firm squeeze and retracted her hand as though nothing out of the ordinary had occurred, `Now it's war.'

"I don't get sick very often anymore," Kagome shrugged, doing her best to assuage the worry in Shiori's eyes while she was dying to laugh at the emotions pressing in at her aura. The shock from Kurama alone was enough to make her want to roll around on the floor giggling like an idiot, "Of course, that might just be my body building a self-defense given just how crazy my family goes if I'm out of commission."

"Shuuichi told me you're the only girl in your family?" Shiori let the health matter go reluctantly, moving on to other things she wanted to know about Kagome before she had to leave.

"I have a few cousins, but my immediate family? I'm the only one," Kagome nodded, absently rising up a fraction to readjust her position when the hand in her pants took advantage of the shift to slide around underneath her.

Youko met her look blandly, curling his fingers to give her an answering squeeze to show he was fully aware of the fact that she was sitting on his hand, "I told… Okaa-sama I had met your uncle and brothers when she asked about your family."

Determined to ignore the hand holding tightly to her backside, Kagome leaned more weight back onto it and cleared her throat, "Yes, he did. My father died when I was very young, so they're more involved with my life. They insisted on meeting Shuuichi when they found out we were... together."

Kurama tilted his head curiously, Does she think that hurts?

`I doubt it,' Youko chuckled, more delighted now that Kurama seemed to be getting pulled into their rising excitement and the instinctive urge to play. `She's doing it for show, not for effect. She wants us to see that she's accepting our challenge.'

"Then you're close with your family," Shiori smiled, inwardly breathing a relieved sigh that Shuuichi's girlfriend had such "old-fashioned" values. Not to mention they had both suffered the trauma of losing their fathers at a young age, Someone who can be understanding with him and his problems.

"Family is important, Minamino-kun," Kagome sipped at her tea, slanting Kurama a speaking look to show the intended double meaning. "You can tell a lot about someone just by the way they treat their family."

`Ah, so that's why she's helping us,' Youko pressed the heel of his hand more firmly against her, kneading the muscle under his hand just to feel the way she went stiff and then relaxed into him. `We impressed her.'

That means she's forgiven us, Kurama pointed out with a grin, sliding his arm down to blend with Youko and enjoy their actions more directly. If she ever was angry at us in the first place… I'm starting to wonder.

`She's a sneaky one, I wouldn't put it past her,' Youko didn't sound the least bit bothered by that. `Oh now this- this is a damn fine ass.'

I should be grateful you're delegating those remarks to the "inside voice" category, Kurama sighed at the borderline crassness of the statement once Youko's fantasies were taken into consideration. Slide your hand closer to us and down just a- oh, right there. That fits just right, doesn't it?

`I'm so proud of you right now that I could cry,' Youko sighed happily, using his thumb again to trace a slow caress back and forth down the curve of her pelvic bone while his fingers moved to cup her backside more securely.

Kagome had to catch herself before she moaned, something in the back of her mind wondering how difficult it would be to convince him to rub the soreness out of her shoulders later. Biting her lip and muttering to herself, He would have to be just as good at touching as he is at kissing.

Youko's chest expanded with his preening when Kagome tucked herself back into the cradle of his arm, unable to resist brushing his chin "accidentally" over her hair, "Kagome and I have spoken about what we think on that matter, Okaa-sama."

Shiori's eyes lit up just the way he'd anticipated, "I see."

Now she's going to think we've already talked about having kids, Youko, Kurama pointed out, twitching when he felt Kagome's left arm slide around their waist.

`Yes, she is,' he smirked easily. `I'm fully aware of how Shiori-kun thinks, and it's not a lie to let her know we're planning to make a baby. Besides, isn't she the one you wanted to please when you started this whole mess in the first place? Kagome knows what we're doing and she's playing along, just relax and run with it.'

Speaking of that, Kurama's voice took on a suspicious note, what exactly do you thinks she's doing with-?

Kagome slid her hand up under his shirt, smiling to herself when she felt the muscles beneath her fingers tense. Unable to restrain her curiosity in the face of the game she'd more or less started, she couldn't help but trace the lines of definition back and forth, "It's something we need to talk about again now that I'm home. A lot can change in your priorities after six years."

`You wouldn't be too horrified if I picked her up and put her across the table for a real kiss right now, would you?' Youko sounded hopeful, fingers twitching for just a moment until he exerted his control over their body's desires.

Kurama ignored him and gritted his teeth against the tightening heat pooling low in his stomach, well aware Youko's question had been mostly rhetorical, Gods, I had no idea we were sensitive there.

"Of course, Kagome-chan," Shiori's eyes filled with some distant memory, bringing a softer, nostalgic smile to her face until she shook it off with a laugh. "Things change when we grow up."

Kagome dipped her head to agree with that, pressing against his hip to slip that searching hand past his belt and down over bare skin as best she could, "At least I have Shuuichi to help remind me to make time for fun though, when he's not interrupting my classes."

"I wanted to surprise you," Youko turned up his nose and inserted just a touch of hurt into his voice for effect. `We have to get her somewhere alone.'

There might be a back room, or a hall, Kurama started, cutting himself off in disbelief when he realized he was actually encouraging Youko's impatience.

`Why did you wear a belt today?' Youko did let a soft growl escape his throat, giving her a squeeze when her stroke traveled as far as it could down the outside of his thigh.

Because I had no idea we'd get the chance to have Kagome shoving her hands down our pants, Kurama slid more of his influence into their soul to hold some of Youko's stronger instincts in check.

`That's your problem, you don't plan ahead properly.'

"You should have seen the mess he caused, Minamino-kun!" Kagome let out a dramatic sigh, lips twitching as she winked at the woman to include Shiori in teasing Kurama. "Especially now that I've recently accepted the Urameshi boys as students, and Shuuichi walked right into the middle of katas to give me a rose."

`What a shame for our dear lover… she obviously wasn't thinking of how I could turn this back on her when she walked into this one,' Youko clucked his tongue, sliding his hand out from under her thigh to curl it around her waist and tuck her back up against him. He took the opening to switch the discussion with a sly smirk, "Yuusuke's sons are certain that `Sensei is marrying Uncle K-Shuuichi' now, Okaa-sama. It's all I hear about when I have dinner with them. They get sad when I don't bring Kagome-chan with me."

Shiori's eyes widened, lifting her hand to cover her mouth as she fought to keep her voice filled with only polite curiosity, "Oh?" Marriedhis friends want him to marry this girl as well!

"Kagome-chan plays with them," Youko nodded as he expounded on the children's demands for her company. "She's willing to wrestle around in the dirt, she's not old and creepy, and they are quite fond of her stories."

Okaa-sama is never going to let her get away from us if she can help it, you know, Kurama had to admit there was something incredibly satisfying about watching his mother's approval visibly increase. Not after hearing that.

`That, Kurama, is entirely the point,' Youko returned smugly. `We need to get our claws as deep into this soul as we can to be sure it doesn't slip away. And if Shiori-kun will help with that, I'm not above including her in the pursuit.'

"You must be good with children if half the stories I've heard of Yuusuke's sons is true, Kagome-chan," Shiori felt like she was going to burst, looking back and forth between the two of them. Mentally crossing her fingers for the outcome of their `vacation,' she waited until Kagome's attention was caught by the arrival of their food to send Kurama a stern, speaking look.

Youko chuckled to himself, nodding to show that he understood even as he lamented the retreat of Kagome's hands, `Dammit all, couldn't he see we were busy?'

We ordered food, Youko, he's just doing his job, Kurama sighed, giving her one last squeeze before he followed suit with the unspoken truce to break for lunch. Don't give him any evil glares when he doesn't deserve it.

`The last thing on my mind at the moment is food,' he purposefully made it more difficult for Kurama to direct their hands, taking a sadistic sort of satisfaction out of causing his counterpart that frustration.

Youko, behave dammit!

`I am!' Youko's voice filled with innocence. `After all, it's still my turn. I'm being very accommodating to let you muscle in on it.'

Kurama rolled his eyes, but stopped to smile when Kagome tugged on her trapped ankle to "hint" she'd like it back. He shook his head, leaning close to her again to whisper out, "We're not done."

"We will be as soon as you admit I win," Kagome snapped her chopsticks apart to emphasize the point, sliding them together to smooth away any splinters. What am I doing? Shouldn't I be trying to stop him from doing these things in public, not encouraging him? Thenwhy does it feel so-?

Kurama's eyes flashed gold again before settling back to green, still shining brightly with his amusement, "Is that so?" Maybe we aren't crossing the line with her after all.

`You can start that ass-kissing any time now,' Youko couldn't resist taunting just to feel Kurama's annoyance. `C'mon now, either start eating or back off of my turn. I want to see how long it takes before I can make her try to leave the table.'

Why would you want to make her leave? Kurama frowned at the contradicting goal.

`So we can follow her to a more private setting, of course,' Youko sighed, reaching for their chopsticks when Kurama seemed reluctant to trust his hands. He paused, eyes widening in mild surprise when Kagome took away his plate and filled it herself before passing it back. She didn't even seem to register what she had done, moving on to serve both Shiori and herself with that same practiced ease, `If Shiori-kun wasn't here, I'd tell her how damn cute those little formal habits of hers are. I never thought I wouldn't have to train them into the lover we found, you know. Not with how much culture these humans have lost over the years.'

We'll have plenty of time for telling her things like that later, and maybe we'll even thank Sesshoumaru for insisting his family follow the old ways, he smiled, reaching out to lightly touch her hand and draw her attention. "Thank you," Kurama slid his fingers down to the underside of her wrist, making the words of gratitude into a nearly devastating caress.

Kagome waved him aside quickly, but the light chuckle coming from behind her clearly indicated he'd seen her blushing already, Somewhere Miroku is laughing at me for losing ground over such a simple touch, I can feel it.

Youko lounged back at the outskirts of dominant control, watching the casual interaction between Shiori and Kagome as Kurama finally recovered enough to eat without making a fool of them in his excited state. From inside their mind, he crossed his legs in a decidedly elegant motion, resting his chin in his upraised palm as he kept their gaze resting on Kagome to file away every nuance of her body language.

`She confuses me, you know,' Youko admitted quietly after hungrily following her fingers when they slid back into her hair to tuck it behind her ear.

Kagome? Kurama hesitated for just a moment before continuing to eat.

`I always thought that a human who interacted with powerful youkai like Sesshoumaru on an intimate level wouldn't be able to relate to other humans so comfortably in this fashion,' Youko tilted his head to the side as he regarded how easily his two important women were accepting each other. `Either our lover is an excellent actress, or she has somehow done something that no humans have accomplished that I know of.'

Maybe that's the reason for all the secrecy, Kurama offered. She knows them when it's not like youkai can just announce themselves for what they really are and stroll around. Sesshoumaru wouldn't be willing to pass up on an ally like her. She might not think there's any reason to treat humans and youkai differently. Every time she's been with any of us, she doesn't seem effected by what we are.

`No, that's wrong. She's not unaffected,' Youko disagreed, narrowing their eyes slightly as he studied Kagome's profile more critically. `I'll have to watch her with other humans more than this to be sure, but look at her eyes. She almost looks sad even when she's laughing.'

She's still on guard, that's certain, Kurama frowned, switching his chopsticks to his left hand in favor of bringing the right back down to rest on her thigh in a comforting gesture. Doesn't she realize we're alert for her? She can relax when she's with us.

`Habit,' Youko extended his own influence to rouse the vine around her throat just enough for one tendril to split off and slip down her back beneath her shirt for a more complete albeit hidden embrace. `She was more relaxed when she was playing with us, but this is an instinct we won't be able to train out of her. Still, I would like very much to know just why our lover has the behavior of someone who is expecting to be attacked at any moment.'

Filing things away for our vacation? Kurama sighed proudly to himself when Kagome's arm came around his waist again in a show of appreciation and acceptance.

`Of course! How could you think I wouldn't have a plan for what I want to know by the time we return?' Youko sounded offended at the thought of such gross lack of preparation. `I want her to have told us about Miroku, and if his death was the result of an attack. It would explain why she is so constantly attentive even in safe-zones.'

That's not going to get her any more relaxed with us, Kurama shook his head in disapproval over that plan. I refuse to come back with more distance between us than when we leave.

`Won't happen,' Youko denied the possibility. `I'm only going to tell you this once before we go, Kurama. We are going to know Kagome intimately before the next two weeks are finished, and I won't accept anything holding me back from winning her soul, is that clear? I will have my lover where she belongs, and we will know her much better than we do now. Inside and out.'

"Relax," Kagome's arm tightened fractionally around his waist, chin lowering to hide her mouth as she murmured that suggestion too quietly for Shiori to overhear. "You're starting to growl, Kurama."

Kurama's mind snapped back to the present, meeting those amused blue eyes before sliding down to the empty plate in front of him, How long did we-?

"Don't worry, she didn't notice," Kagome gave him a nudge with her hip, smiling to herself when the confusion faded from his eyes. "Just come on down to mingle with the lowly humans for a bit more, hm? You might hurt your mother's feelings if you don't put on a good show."

Youko chuckled softly, slipping back into the forefront of their control to give her thigh a more meaningful squeeze, "Who's putting on a show?"

Kagome pinched his side and just couldn't resist digging a little deeper into his pride, "Who said this was real?"

Before he could recover enough to react to that, Kagome was standing and offering Shiori a shallow bow, "Excuse me, please, Minamino-kun. I'll return in just a moment."

`She can't possibly try to slip that past me!' Youko let out a low growl, tensing with every intention of rising as well when her hand pressed down on his shoulder to hold him in place.

"I'm sure there are things you'd like to discuss with Shuuichi while I'm gone," Kagome flashed him a perfectly devious smile, winking at him and squeezing his shoulder in silent taunting.

Kurama flicked his fingers under the table, extending the vine beneath her shirt to curl up around her ribs and slide along the edge of her bra, Don't you dare sneak away from us in such a high-handed manner, lover.

`EasyLet her think she's more clever than us for the moment,' Youko calmed slightly when Kagome nearly stumbled and shot them a warning frown. Chuckling softly, he blended his hand together with Kurama to curl their fingers just so as he winked back at her, `The rose will tell us when she's alone.'

"You missed her very much, didn't you, Shuuichi?" Shiori laughed quietly to herself and reached for the teapot.

"Am I that obvious?" Youko turned back to her with a dazzling smile, ignoring Kurama's hiss of protest. `Quiet, it's still my turn, and I'm not going to screw up something as simple as making Shiori-kun aware of how serious we are regarding our lover.'

"You seem to be on edge when she leaves," she made a faint gesture in the direction Kagome had gone. "And I saw the way you looked at that Houjo boy."

Youko sighed and leaned back in the chair, "I… will feel more comfortable after we've made our relationship more official. At least, I hope I will."

"More official?" Shiori arched an eyebrow.

"She makes me feel very possessive," he shook his head, bringing his hands up to rest on the table. "Not just that, though, Kagome makes me think and feel things that I had never thought possible." `Not within a human body at any rate.'

Well aren't you just being a fountain of knowledge to say absolutely nothing, Kurama snorted, determined to kick at least one dent in the kitsune's insurmountable ego.

`You're just annoyed with me because I didn't share this with you first,' Youko snorted and chastised. `Relax, Kurama, you and I will speak seriously on this soon.'

I'm holding you to that.

"I've waited a long time to hear you tell me that," Shiori gave him a comforting pat when he reached for his own refilled tea. "But if you'd like to hear your mother's opinion? Maybe some advice?"

`See?' Youko drawled out smugly as he nodded to her. `Shiori-kun now feels involved, doesn't that make you want to thank me? I picked Kagome out, and I'm the one who-'

Shut up, Youko.

"I like the way she looks at you," Shiori gave him a serious look, folding her hands in her lap. "When she was speaking with that other boy, she was almost looking through him. But when she looks at you-" she trailed off, not certain how to put her thoughts into words. "I worried that with your looks, you would never find someone who loved you on the inside, even though you're such a sweet boy, Shuuichi."

Youko and Kurama stared in surprised silence, subconsciously motioning to urge her to continue, How does Kagome look at us that Okaa-sama noticed and finds it so unique?

`I don't know, that's why I'm still listening,' Youko swatted him back down for interrupting.

Shiori laughed at herself softly and shrugged, "Maybe I'm wrong, since I've only just met your girlfriend, but she doesn't seem like those girls that used to ask about you in school. She seems to look into you, and really care about your feelings. Or do you think I didn't notice you put the poor girl on the spot with that introduction?"

Kurama winced and pushed to answer that one, "I was expecting to have had time to speak with Kagome about our future before we told our families."

She waved that off dismissively, "Don't apologize, Shuuichi. It was a shock, but I understand. You've wanted to be certain that everything was perfect before you said anything to me about it since you were just a little boy."

"I didn't want to get your hopes up only to disappoint you if things worked out differently," he nervously ran a hand through his hair, frowning when he realized he had instinctively reached to his side as though Kagome was still beside him.

"Shuuichi, I'm your mother, and that means there is next to nothing you could do that would disappoint me," Shiori turned up her nose in a way that had Youko chuckling in genuine affection.

"Then you like Kagome?" Kurama knew he sounded hopeful, almost boyish again, but the sheer improbability of having found one girl that genuinely pleased not only himself and Youko, but his mother as well was making this victory that much sweeter.

Shiori pretended to mull the question over, again using the guise of drinking her tea to hide the amused smile tugging at her lips when she caught the faint tightening around Kurama's mouth.

"Okaa-sama," Youko dragged out their voice in his most chastising manner despite all Kurama's protests when her muffled snicker slipped out.

"Oh come now, I can tease you if I want to," Shiori tried to sound offended, but ruined the effect when a more definite laugh snuck out. "Fine, fine, I'll tell you. Kagome-chan seems like an absolutely delightful girl, and I'm saying that because no matter how slick you think you are, Shuuichi, I saw all that whispering. You can be a bit… intense for people who don't know you, but you seem very relaxed with her."

`She's speaking to you,' Youko accused loftily. `You're the one who's too stuck-up sometimes.'

This is coming from the kitsune who refuses to sleep on anything with a thread-count lower than three hundred, Kurama rolled his eyes.

`Our skin is sensitive.'

"You've always been a serious boy," Shiori sighed with nostalgic affection, her eyes softening as she regarded him. "I hoped that when you found someone, you'd be able to have fun with them. She seems to bring out a more playful side of you."

`She has no idea,' Youko chuckled to himself.

"It's even better that she's from a nice family and seems very bright, but all I care about is that she makes you happy, Shuuichi," she leaned forward, determined to impress the importance of that on him.

Kurama was mildly surprise when Youko pulled him forward, blending them together smoothly to give her a reassuring smile and murmur, "Very happy, Okaa-sama."

What was that for? Kurama frowned when Youko just as quickly shoved him back down.

`Happy tears,' Youko shrugged, straightening their spine when Shiori's eyes did indeed start to look suspiciously shiny. `I wanted to see if we could make her feel good enough to cry.'

"Why don't you go see what's keeping Kagome-chan, Shuuichi," Shiori blinked rapidly, trying to hold everything in when she felt like she was going to burst. Waving her hand at her son, she ducked her head to keep him from seeing her watering eyes and forced her voice to stay as light as she could manage, "You wouldn't want that other boy to try and catch her eye while you're here, would you?"

Kurama's expression mirrored his surprise for a moment before smoothing out in understanding. He nodded and rose to his feet, walking around the table to bend down and give her a kiss on the temple to cover his parting whisper, "Thank you for approving of the woman I intend to make my wife."

<………>

"No."

"I knew you were going to say that," Kagome sighed in frustration, checking to make sure she was alone in the back lounge before she tried again. "Look, Sesshoumaru, whatever it was can connect with me enough to speak to me from Makai. Don't you want to be sure?"

"Allowing you to traipse about Japan with nothing more than an avatar for protection is not acceptable," Sesshoumaru's voice drifted through the cell phone just as flat and implacable as ever. "He is unaware of the dangers that he would be forced to face if we are truly dealing with a youkai who was once a part of you."

Kagome raked a hand through her hair, "Kurama can take care of himself."

"His health is not the source of my concern."

Great, just great, she shook her head, taking a deep breath to calm herself when the vine responded to her agitation and "hugged" her.

"You are already aware that this Sesshoumaru would never trust a kitsune with no knowledge of your situation to provide your sole protection for a prolonged period of time," he scolded her calmly. "Any number of things could go wrong."

"You know where I need to go."

Silence met her declaration, but Kagome waited calmly through it for his response. Impatience in anything involving Sesshoumaru was the worst route to take under the best of circumstances, and this was anything but an ideal situation.

"You should not go without my presence, miko," Sesshoumaru finally replied, but she could tell from the soft sigh that he was still letting her state her case.

"I know, but if he's watching me, bringing you will just let whoever it is know what we're doing," Kagome shook her head, leaning back against the wall and closing her eyes. "Kurama's perfect. Not only is he an unfamiliar face, he has a fully human reputation, and every youkai any of the family has come in contact with knows he's presenting. Everything will look innocent."

Sesshoumaru sighed heavily, "An ancient kitsune within an avatar body who has declared to this Sesshoumaru that you are his lover is hardly an innocent companion."

"Shippou had a hell of a time holding him back on our property, in Shippou's element, and when Kurama was trying not to hurt him much," Kagome reminded him. "He's a strong youkai, and he's too determined to win me over to let anything happen to me when I'm with him."

"Selfish love, miko, you know where that has taken your soul in the past," Sesshoumaru warned.

Kagome's hand tightened on the phone, gritting her teeth against the sudden flood of old pain that snuck down her spine on the heels of that. She swallowed hard, bracing herself to push down the flashes of memory until she trusted her voice to stay even, "I know."

"Has the hybrid accepted you?"

A strained smile crossed her lips at the chance in topic, "Thanks, Sesshoumaru."

"It will be more appropriately handled this evening after dinner," he assured her briskly. "Now answer the question, miko."

"Hiei's deciding," Kagome absently brought her hand up to toy with the main portion of the vine still lying docile around her neck. "I don't think he'll take long to make up his mind, but I thought it would be a good idea to let him turn it over in his head rather than press for an immediate answer."

"How did he react to the information?" papers rustled in the background, and Kagome couldn't help but smile when she heard Shippou's unmistakable whine of protest over whatever he was being assigned.

"He was more surprised by being asked to join the family than he was by hearing about the jewel," she giggled when the vine retracted from around her ribs to twine about her fingers with a happier squeak. "I told you he would be confused, he's even more solitary than you were if that's possible."

"This Sesshoumaru chose to be isolated from others, miko, there is a very distinct difference."

"I know that," Kagome stuck her tongue out at the phone. "He's used to being shunned, and hated. If you hadn't held me for so long after he absorbed, it might not have been so smooth a transition." And if Miroku hadn't come to me and handled the rest

"Don't think I'm unaware that you received a large infusion of holy energy at some point in time," Sesshoumaru's voice held a distinct note of disapproval. "The circumstances regarding your absorption of the hybrid are extenuating, but this Sesshoumaru will not look so kindly on any efforts to ride new creatures without advance knowledge. Holy or not."

"You would have felt if it was a new carrier," Kagome let her head rest on the wall again, curling her fingers and letting her ki spark lightly to play with the rose. "But it's sweet of you to worry."

"This Sesshoumaru-"

"--doesn't worry," Kagome finished, biting her lip to stop a giggle when she could practically taste the wave of irritation. At least I can always count on Sesshoumaru to stay the same.

"I can still clear my schedule and accompany you in place of the avatar," she could hear him smirk through the phone. "I'm sure you'll enjoy my presence just as thoroughly as you would enjoy his."

Kagome made a renewed effort to hide her laughter, "You really are a sadistic bastard, you know that right?"

"You selected me."

"Maybe I like sadistic bastards," she defended with feigned arrogance.

"There is no question in that statement, miko," Sesshoumaru snorted. "For a race of creatures that was known in my youth to be the bane of youkai existence, you have an uncommon affinity to our darker souls."

"You're more interesting, and more trustworthy than the ones who pretend to be nothing but good," Kagome tried to shrug it off, grateful he couldn't see the blush staining her cheeks. "I never have to wonder where I stand with you."

"That leaves this Sesshoumaru wondering over your fascination with kitsune," he drawled out, giving every indication that he knew exactly how embarrassed she was. "Youkai who are infamous for their trickery and lies are hardly as trustworthy as a taiyoukai like myself."

"They're very pretty though," Kagome turned up her nose.

Something that sounded suspiciously like `good in bed' drifted through the receiver, immediately followed with a clear "OW!" and a suspicious thump.

Ah Shippou, equal opportunity tormentor, Kagome rolled her eyes. "Will it help if I remind you that I know when I'm being lied to? They're sneaky, sure, and they can be as evil as the best of us, but I have fun when I'm with him. It doesn't hurt as much when he's beside me."

Sesshoumaru was silent again, only the regular sounds of work and Shippou's muffled grumbling drifting across the line. When he spoke again, a heavy edge of distaste colored his tone, "Are you certain this is what you want to do, Kagome?"

Kagome pressed her hand to her heart when the heavy pulse rippled through her soul, taking a slow, precise breath to calm her aura, "No, but I learned a long time ago that what I want to do is different from what I have to do."

Sesshoumaru actually smiled, "There are times, miko, that this Sesshoumaru is reminded why you are so close an ally, regardless of what you have become."

Her lips slowly spread into a tender smile, "I love you too."

The rose at her throat made a grunt of protest, butting against her hand at hearing those words and drawing her gaze down, Shit, is it telling Kurama what I'm saying?

"We have discussed your habit of repeating things that are already understood," Sesshoumaru continued, undaunted by the recognizable sound. "When do you wish to leave?"

Cupping her fingers around the bud rising up to make it's scolding chittering sounds at her, Kagome pulled it back under the bulk of her hair to hide it and sternly limited what it could pass along, "Tomorrow if I can. I want to get this over with before something else happens, Sesshoumaru. I have to rule him out."

"Shinju tells me that you wish to gain my approval to take the avatar with you first as well?" Sesshoumaru's voice lifted in inquiry.

"I'd like to hear you say you're giving me permission officially, but I'll take him with me anyway," Kagome smirked into the phone. "We don't have any privacy here to get to know each other better, and I'd like to have the chance."

"And if things get out of hand?"

"The worst thing that could possibly happen is that I sleep with him and decide not to keep him," Kagome shrugged that off. "He's a kitsune, Sesshoumaru, he'll move on without any trouble."

"Do not accept any proposals without consulting this Sesshoumaru," he ordered in a hard voice. "As you said, the avatar is a kitsune, and the likelihood that he is taking these interactions seriously is slim. But if your emotions become too involved, miko, I will remove you from the situation."

"I understand."

"Do you?"

Kagome nodded, glancing around the deserted lounge sadly, "Yes, I do."

"Good," Sesshoumaru softened his tone, bringing a new smile to her face as she tried to guess whether Shippou had left or been knocked out. "The past will not be repeated, Kagome. If it comes to making a decision that involves such dangerous things, I will make it. The companionship your soul longs for is not worth risking a loss of yourself."

"I still want to try," she shook her head. "He… I want to know how much I really do like him, Sesshoumaru. I can't avoid things like this forever just because of what might happen or I'll never be able to keep myself under control."

"That's what you have this Sesshoumaru for," he didn't sound the least bit disturbed in the face of her fears. "You are my partner first, miko. For that reason alone you should cease despairing over something so trivial as to whether or not an avatar is appealing enough to be your lover."

"Someday I want to have a family again, not just carriers, you know," Kagome reached out to idly finger the linen drapes blocking out the afternoon sun. "I can't picture you being overly enthusiastic about me wanting to have kids."

"You underestimate this Sesshoumaru's determination to protect this family if you think that, miko."

Kagome froze, eyes widening slightly under the implications of that, "I don't- Sesshoumaru?"

"We will discuss it if it becomes an issue," he answered simply. "For now, I will trust your judgment and the suggestion of your son to grant my permission for the avatar to act as your temporary guardian. With the stipulation that he be incapacitated immediately should things get out of hand."

"Done," Kagome promised, still astonished at the uncharacteristic promise he'd given before.

"Where are you? It's almost time to bring everyone to the compound for tonight," Sesshoumaru moved on with the same focused precision that had served to earn him his ruthless reputation.

"I'm- I'm at the café down from the temple," Kagome collected herself with effort, instinctively looking around the lounge again when she felt a faint tingle of ki as she offered that information. "Kurama's mother- his human mother ran into us. He introduced us, and it's the funny but her name's Shiori too. Granted it's going to be easy to remember, but it's hard to put it to another face than our Shiori."

"You are rambling."

Kagome bit her lip, cursing in her own mind at his perceptiveness, "It felt strange to act so human. But… I could see when Kurama looked at her that he really does care about her, and I didn't want to embarrass him in front of her."

"You're still concerned your human interaction is lacking?" Sesshoumaru inquired in mild disapproval.

"Well it's not like I've ever had to meet someone's mother," Kagome pointed out. "Miroku didn't have any family beyond us, and well… I guess Mushin, and Hachi… but they hardly count. It matters to me if I disappoint her when he seemed so intent on impressing her."

"I highly doubt you could offend a human woman unless you were making a conscious effort to do so," Sesshoumaru inserted dryly. "You are forgetting how frequently we must discuss you habit of making friends without my consent."

Kagome giggled softly, lifting her hand to cover the sound and turning towards the window, "You're still bitter about not being a hermit in your old age, aren't you?"

"This Sesshoumaru is in his prime, miko, and if you continue to be so disrespectful, you will not be allowed to leave the compound for your trip south," he retorted without missing a beat.

"Bossy," Kagome teased, pushing aside the curtain to stare up at the sky longingly. "But I'll stop calling you old as long you stop saying I can't call you pretty."

"You are not in a position to negotiate."

"Shippou's back, isn't he?"

"Dammit, did you have to get blood all over my shirt?!"

Kagome rolled her eyes at the practically on-cue whine, "Tell him that I'm not going to protect him if he smarts off to you today. I'll be too busy planning to be away for two weeks."

"You'll be too busy soaking in enough of my youki to stay calm in the face of what you intend to do, miko," Sesshoumaru corrected her, pausing to growl something at Shippou that she didn't quite catch. "You are not going to be permitted to take such a risk unprepared."

"I wouldn't want to," Kagome let the curtain fall back into place, starting to push away from the wall only to stop short when familiar arms slid around her waist from behind and a warm rush of youki seeped into her soul. "I-I… will speak to you at home, Sesshoumaru."

Sesshoumaru let out a weary sigh, "Tell the avatar that these continued interruptions are beginning to annoy me."

Kurama's lips pressed against the back of her neck as Kagome swatted at his hip, "I'll tell him."

"I'll be sending Kaze with the car to bring you home from there, make sure the avatar knows that trying to detain you after I have grudgingly granted his petition to guard you will be foolish," Sesshoumaru added in a particularly lofty tone. "This Sesshoumaru will not be pleased if this creature forces a more personal collection of you."

Kagome opened her mouth to answer when Kurama caught her wrist, tugging her hand away from her ear to raise the phone up to his own ear, "If you're so determined to cut our lunch with my mother short, Sesshoumaru, you'll understand if I hang up on you now."

"Don't push boundaries this Sesshoumaru has set for you," the taiyoukai growled out, dropping his voice to reach Kurama's ears alone. "My miko has argued in your favor for now, but your attitude will decide if that decision will stand through the night."

Youko chuckled, tightening his arm around Kagome's waist to tuck her back up against their body, "Perish the thought that I would endanger having so much private time with my lover."

"If she returns to me in poor condition, no amount of tails will save your soul from my retribution, kitsune," Sesshoumaru promised darkly. "You are still forbidden from revealing your other form to her. Doing such a thing would cause unnecessary troubles, and if you are unable to charm her with your human face then you do not deserve her company."

Kurama's eyes narrowed in distaste, "Don't concern yourself with my abilities, Sesshoumaru-sama, Kagome and I will be fine."

Kagome snatched the phone back and turned an exasperated frown up at Kurama as she hissed into it, "Can we save the pissing contest, please? Sesshoumaru, I'll talk to you about this more tonight, and I promise to leave as soon as Kaze gets here. Okay?"

"Do not be late, Kagome."

Sighing when the connection clicked off in her ear, Kagome absently slapped the phone shut and turned to face Kurama, "Was that really necessary? You know Sesshou-hey!"

Kurama swore Youko was humming in the back of their mind as he bent down, hooking his hands under her backside and lifting her up off her feet against his chest. He carried her back towards one of the more secluded tables as calmly as though it were the most natural thing in the world, sitting her on the edge as one hand moved to encourage the decorative vines to hide them from prying eyes. Pressing a hand down on either side of her hips and crowding in close enough that she was forced to keep her knees spread wide, Kurama smirked at her, "Yes."

"Kurama, your mother-!" Kagome tried to lean back when her senses tingled a warning under that hungry light in his eyes.

"Would be very upset with me if she knew you were declaring deep feelings for someone else," he cut her off, impatiently shoving Youko back when he felt the kitsune pouring more of his influence into them. I can handle this, you know.

`Because you've done such an excellent job so far,' Youko snorted. `It's still my turn, and I'm not about to let that telling Sesshoumaru she loved him thing go.'

"Dammit, it was telling on me," Kagome muttered under her breath.

Kurama adjusted his position, bringing one hand to cup her chin and pull her forward until their mouths were nearly touching, "It was worried. Sesshoumaru is not so fond of its existence, you know. Besides, it's trying to protect you from making a terrible mistake. It knows that you don't belong with an inu, even if he is a taiyoukai."

"It's lucky he didn't take it apart for hissing at him," Kagome reminded him, arching an eyebrow at the change of tactics. "You're suddenly in a mood, Kurama, are you all right?"

Youko snickered and pressed his advantage, "My lover just made the most beautiful impression on the human I chose to give me this body. I'm feeling a need to show that lover just how much I adore her."

"And that involves a table?" she bit the inside of her cheek against the sudden urge to smile. Why can't I resist teasing him like this? I know how he'll see it, butDammit, am I really becoming so attached to him?

Youko gave her lip a quick, careful nip just to jolt her, "Smartass."

Kagome giggled, trying to tug back out of his hold as she carefully schooled her expression into innocence, "You'd say something so disparaging about a miko? I'm shocked, Kurama! I would have thought you wanted to impress-"

Youko changed his hold to the back of her head, dragging her forward and closing his mouth over hers with a satisfied growl, `The family resemblance is rather striking at times, isn't it?'

Hm? Kurama's response was more than a little distracted, melting their souls together to more fully appreciate the way Kagome's lips parted to let them deepen the kiss. Sighing, he wrapped his other arm around her waist and stepped forward until they were pressed together as fully as that position allowed, With who?

`Move the hand down and pull just a little- yes, just like that,' Youko purred out when Kurama followed his direction to slide their hand down the back of her pants and grind her up against them. Completely forgetting his earlier remarks, he threaded the fingers of their other hand through her hair, clenching it into a fist, `Sweet. The feel of her, the taste of this body and soul are so very sweet.'

Kurama was already using his weight and hold on her to ease Kagome back on the empty table, slanting their lips across hers more intently when he felt her arms slide around his waist to pull him closer, Stop tasting her ki.

`That would be like me telling you to stop squeezing her ass,' Youko snorted dryly, easing away from her mouth to nip the corner of her jaw and down her throat. `I'm only soaking in a very little.'

Kagome made a soft sound in the back of her throat, letting him tug her head back to bare the line of her neck more completely. Grateful for his inattention, she felt safe to let her eyes flash under the steady glide of his aura along hers. Her back arched slightly, pressing her breasts against his chest when she felt her soul spark, greedily tugging at the power it could feel inside him, Oh godsI have to stop. I can't or I'll-

Youko made sure she was lying comfortably on the table before easing their hand out of her pants in favor of palming a slow stroke down her thigh, "I still have to thank you."

"Thank me?" Kagome closed her eyes, swallowing hard as she expended precious focus on controlling herself.

"Shiori-kun is very happy to know that her son has met such a wonderful girl for a serious relationship," he smiled against her neck, ignoring Kurama's protest against the feel of their canines starting to sharpen. "A girl who looks past my pretty face, and brings out my playful side no less…"

"A rock could bring out your playful side, Kurama," Kagome's hands gripped his back convulsively when she felt his tongue trace over the inner edge of her clavicle.

"Mm, but a rock wouldn't taste as good as you do," Youko gave her a more chiding nip, but there was no real malice behind it. "And you shouldn't say such disparaging things about the lover you adore, Kagome. My senses are much too refined to find anything less than perfection acceptable."

Good gods, you're a cocky bastard, Kurama rolled his eyes, but just as quickly lost that train of thought when Youko draped them down on top of her.

Kagome forced her ki to settle into a less revealing level before she opened her eyes and subconsciously shifted to rub against him, "Who said I adore you?"

She delighted in the play of muscle under her hands as Kurama raised his torso up enough to meet her gaze, biting her lip at the annoyed look on his face, "I can still lock you in a closet until you are ready to admit the truth, lover."

"A closet?" Kagome repeated in confusion. When did he threaten to lock me in a closet?

"You still won't tell me that you miss me when I've been gone," he slid his thumb over her cheekbone, distracting her with that caress rather than answer. "Even when I know you do."

Kagome turned her face into his hand slightly, missing the warmth that softened his eyes, "Sometimes I don't want to miss you."

"But not always?" Youko arched an eyebrow, much more interested in what she wasn't saying. `You hear that, Kurama? She admitted that she's thinking of us, missing us when we're gone.'

She also said she doesn't want to, and what the hell are you doing? Kurama tried to re-exert his dominance unsuccessfully. Are we going to kiss her or are we just going to lie here and talk, hn?

`She's a sensual woman who's starved for her lover's touch, just be patient,' Youko scolded. `It's so much better if you let them come to you in the beginning.'

Kagome sighed, wrapping her arms around his back and tugging his down to embrace him before she whispered candidly in his ear, "I'm not sure I want to feel so strongly for you."

Youko smiled darkly from inside Kurama at the roundabout affirmation to his success in winning her desire, nuzzling her jaw again as he purred back in true predatory style, "Then let me convince you."

"On a table in a public restaurant, Fox? And here I thought your `delicate sensibilities' would be offended by this kind of setting," Hiei's voice snapped Youko's attention up and around to the hybrid, scowling when he found him lounging in a chair lazily, smirking at his glare as though he'd been there watching all along.

Hiding his snarl, Youko abruptly retracted deep into their soul, shoving Kurama back into control to cover the way he instantly started to rant and fume about the interruption, `Goddammit to fucking HELL, Hiei! You can OBVIOUSLY see what I was doing! What possessed you to come and-?!'

Warning you that the human boy is getting closer, or would you rather I stop you when you were in a more delicate position? Hiei drawled out, folding his arms over his chest as he watched Kurama shudder and slump half-dazed back down over Kagome.

"Are you all right?" Kagome's voice filled with concern at Kurama's abrupt change to boneless slump, tamping down her arousal to lift herself up enough that she could tilt Kurama's face up towards hers.

"I'm going to kill Hiei, but otherwise I'm as fine as can be expected," Kurama dropped his forehead down onto her chest with a light thump, only vaguely registering the softness of her breasts against his neck.

A rueful smile crossed her lips, sliding her hands into his hair as she tried not to snicker and tease him about pouting at his age, "It's for the best, Kurama. We can't just ignore your mother, you know."

"She'll understand."

Hiei chuckled, sharing a highly amused look with Kagome as he rolled to his feet, You're behaving like a child.

`Do you have any idea how long it's been since we've had sex?' Youko snapped back irritably, taking comfort in the warmth of Kagome's body so close to theirs and trying to distract his temper with her scent. `Not to mention how long it's been since I've wanted to have sex just as badly as Kurama does? With the same girl? And you're telling me I'm being childish? Fucking unbelievable.'

"Come on," Kagome worked her hands down under him and sat up, mostly supporting him as he resisted until they were upright. She smoothed his hair into a less revealing state and did giggle slightly at his mulish expression, "Will you stop pouting if I told you Sesshoumaru agreed not to fight you about coming with me?"

`Hmmph.'

Kurama ignored him and sighed, catching her wrist to bring her palm to his mouth for a soft kiss as he took the peace-offering with as much grace as his aching body would allow, "I can control myself until we have more privacy, Kagome." Although I might end up going insane and killing myself and I keep getting this excited and having to stop.

Hiei innocently relayed the thought to Kagome, smirking behind Kurama's back as the miko obviously bit back a laugh and tried to look comforting for the kitsune's sake without giving away what she's been allowed to overhear, "We'll have time to see if we can get along while we're traveling, but we don't have a whole lot of it left until Kaze gets here, and we should spend it with your mother. She'll appreciate that."

At least she's got a practical side, Hiei prodded relentlessly at Youko, sadistically delighting in each twitch and snarl he could feel in his mind. If you actually manage to impregnate her there may be some hope that your children don't turn out stupid.

`My children will NOT be stupid!' Youko hissed out furiously.

Kagome's hand touching the side of Kurama's face stopped Youko's temper in its tracks as she guided Kurama's face back and down to meet her for a soft, almost tender kiss. Kurama's eyes widened, flashing gold under the echoed surprise Youko washed through him, shocking them into stillness long enough for her to somehow slip around him to stand on her own.

His fingers lifted to their lips, the tip of his tongue sliding out to taste the lingering tingle her kiss had left behind, That was-

`I want another. Now.'

Kagome straightened her shirt, lifting her hands to comb her hair back into place when Kurama caught her wrist gently and lowered it back to her side. Curious at the strange gesture, she glanced back at him only to nearly fall over when he dipped his head and stole another kiss just as soft and unhurried as her own, trying to coax out a repeat of that drugging sensation.

You do remember that you have an audience, right? Hiei drawled out, giving him a hard mental nudge to remind him just where he was when the kiss showed renewed promise of getting out of hand.

Sighing regretfully, Kurama pulled away and laced their fingers together, not saying anything out loud as he turned and led her back towards the open dining area, Soon.

`Damn straight.'

Kagome was more concerned with taking a proper breath, staring in disbelief at Kurama and back around to Hiei as she struggled to collect her thoughts after her body's unexpected response to that kiss. More importantly, what it could mean that he had been the instigator, and he had been the one giving every indication that he wanted to feel more depth of emotion rather than just the physical aspects. Hopefully Shippou wouldn't be against giving her a crash course in how kitsune reacted to that kind of thing. If it was normal, that was one thing, but if not-

She mentally shook herself, trying to turn her thoughts around for a more innocent question to Hiei about his sudden appearance in the café. Whatever reason the hybrid had for coming here after Shippou had seemingly been summoned to work had to be less worrisome than wondering about the reason behind Kurama's altered kiss. Pushing it to the back of her mind, she slanted a look over to the silent hybrid, and just barely stopped herself from halting on the spot.

Hiei was wearing a kimono.