Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Par Tout Autre Nom ❯ Like Two Ships Passing ( Chapter 45 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: Inuyasha and Yu Yu Hakusho belong respectively to Rumiko Takahashi and Yoshihiro Togashi.

A/N: Equal parts blessing and curse, getting sick that is… I've been able to work from home and that's given me a little more time to write this chapter than I expected, so it's coming out early. I really wish I had more time to go through and give better notes and thanks, but I'm technically skimming my time just to finish out editing. (If there's an error or two, I'm sorry. Chalk it up to bad editing on my part.) But~! The plot is trying to run away on its own, and the characters aren't stopping it. -mutters a few choice words- Important things coming up, you know…

Like I said, I really do wish I had more time to break up and individually thank all of you, but I just have to settle on blanket thanks. My chat buddies, junkies, reviewers, readers… you're wonderful, and I've gotten a few new ones who make sneaking on to share horrors and thoughts that much more fun. -winks- I really do love hearing from all of you, and thank you very much for sticking around for more. ^__^

<~*~*~*~>

By Any Other Name

~Like Two Ships Passing~

Kagome folded her arms behind her head and arched her back to stretch as she let out a sigh of relief for the end of one unexpected ordeal when the car pulled out of sight of the café, "Are we stopping at home, Kaze?"

His eyes met hers in the rear view mirror as Kaze shook his head, chuckling softly and reaching into the seat beside him, "Sesshoumaru-sama called for Shinju to take everyone to the main house shortly after classes dispersed for the day. I was instructed to bring you `more proper attire' so you could change on the way."

Sighing reluctantly, she waited for them to stop at a red light before scooting forward enough to take the package off the passenger seat, "Because it's so easy to change into Sesshoumaru's idea of proper attire in the back of a moving car."

Kaze's eyes were sparkling with amusement as he slanted her a smile and leaned imperceptibly closer to receive a kiss on the forehead, "After what you have been through in the past, Okaa-sama, I believe Sesshoumaru-sama believes you should have no difficulty in performing such menial tasks despite their level of awkwardness."

Kagome smiled and smoothed his hair back out of his eyes before dragging the large box back with her, "Can you put up the privacy window while I do this? I don't want to risk any sharp eyes from oncoming traffic getting a show."

"Of course," he dipped his head, reaching to the console above the stereo to press the automatic button as he turned his attention back to the road.

Kagome waited for the opaque shielding to raise and complete the tinted barrier between herself and the outside world, unbuttoning her shirt to let it fall down off her shoulders, "Let's see-"

"You seem very close with these boys."

"GODS!" Kagome twisted around and glared at Hiei, reflexively lifting her hands in a half-hearted effort to more adequately cover her state of undress. "Dammit, Hiei, I thought your aura was that close because you were going to ride on top of the car!"

Hiei arched an eyebrow, eyes never going below her face as he sat back more comfortably beside the door, Wouldn't that look just a little too suspicious while we're downtown surrounded by humans?

"Then why not ride up front with Kaze?" Kagome grumbled, pouting as she stubbornly turned away from the amused sparkle in his eyes. "You knew I had to change before we reached the compound, I know you were close enough to hear me tell him to raise the window."

He shrugged, I don't know that human, and the windows here don't allow others to see inside.

"Kaze's harmless," she shook her head, determined to recover from her embarrassing moment of inattention with one of her own carriers. "Besides, he wouldn't do anything to you. Turn your head since you obviously are determined to ride back here."

The strength of his holy powers does not substantiate your word, Hiei obediently turned his head aside when he saw her reach out for the box containing her attire for the evening. Are you going to answer me?

"About what?" Kagome pulled the white under-kimono out first, laying it out beside her on the seat as she toed off her shoes. Kicking them under the front seat to get them out of the way, she maneuvered herself up enough to unfasten and wriggle out of her jeans.

The taijiya boys, he repeated, mentally debating just how much trouble he would be in if he just-so-happened to accidentally pass along to Kurama where he was at the moment. Why are you so friendly with them?

"Shinju and Kaze?" she glanced at him in surprise as she wrestled to get the folds right and tie on the obi in a sitting position. "They're my cousins, direct descendants of the monk and taijiya involved with the Shikon-no-Tama originally."

Hiei could feel himself relax, a faint smile tugging at his lips at just how easily she was revealing the information he craved, "Whom did you descend from then?" Maybe it really won't be difficult, joining a family. If it's like she said- I'm making the right decision. They're powerful, they follow the old rules

"Souta and I descend from the Sango's brother, Kohaku, and his wife, Rin," Kagome's fingers slowed, eyes taking on a far away, nostalgic look as she remembered the two of them and the stories Shippou had told her about their life. "Sesshoumaru and Shippou have watched over the lines through the centuries. Youkai and holy lines that consider each other family," she slanted him a knowing look. "Seems farfetched doesn't it?"

It's never been done, Hiei frowned, jumping slightly when her hand brushed his shoulder.

"You can turn around now, I'm covered," she gestured to herself with a smile and went back to sorting through the multiple layers for the next kimono as soon as he had. "It has been done for five hundred years as our records quite clearly show, and a number of the youkai in the family can remember. We were just careful not to draw attention to ourselves and cause problems. We like our peace and privacy."

Hiei leaned back against the door, tucking one knee up to his chest as he watched Kagome add layer upon layer with a sort of fascination. He'd never seen a woman dress herself in the formal robes, and watching the meticulous but practiced fluidity of Kagome's hands was almost hypnotic. Half of the time he found himself tilting his head, trying to guess what tied where and how before her actions showed if he had been correct. How she managed to get everything in place while sitting down in a moving car, he couldn't begin to comprehend, but it definitely proved their long-ago theory that she was comfortable wearing the formal kimonos often.

She was frowning at the final layer, a burgundy haori that tied in with the patterns he remembered from Sesshoumaru's clothing, when the rose at her throat let out a squeak of recognition and immediately slipped up into her hair to start twisting and tugging up through the strands. Amazed, Hiei watched it split and weave through Kagome's hair, braiding through the thick mass before gathering the full weight up in intricately crafted bun.

Noticing the look on the hybrid's face, Kagome chuckled and pointed up to her hair, "This little guy loves playing `dress up,' although it really seems to have a hair fetish more than anything else."

"I can see that," Hiei arched an eyebrow at it when the bud reared up to view its handiwork, curving one way and another before settling down beside the complex bun in satisfaction.

"Can you hold this up for me?" Kagome finally made an impatient sound and held the haori out to him. "I can't get my sleeves to cooperate for some reason and I'm not in the mood to listen to Sesshoumaru scolding me that I don't look done."

Hiei mechanically took the material at the request, vaguely noting the crackle of youki against his skin as Kagome slipped one arm through and then half-turned for the other, Armor? Are they always wearing clothing that would serve them in a fight? Despite the stray observation, he was already manipulating the sleeves into place for her before he realized what he was doing and scowled as turned himself back to the conversation, The taiyoukai doesn't strike me as the sort to be overly concerned with such things.

"Usually he's not, but most of the family heads are coming tonight to see you formally accepted, so Sesshoumaru is insisting we set an example," Kagome tossed him a playful smile over her shoulder. "Might not want to brag about seeing me half-naked just yet though, could send the wrong impressions."

Hiei's eyes widened, automatically leaning back, To see me? It's for-? How did you know I would say-?

"That you would say yes?" Kagome finished for him, folding up her street clothes and stowing them in the kimono box. "Frankly, I didn't. Even if you said no, my boys -the others that is, needed to know what happened. But you popped up in the restaurant in a kimono when the rest of the family got called up to the big house, so…"

Hiei felt the corner of his lip curve up, My answer was obvious.

She nodded, half bending to trade out her socks for the traditional tabi, "I do learn a few things about a creature when I soak in their youki and roll around in their soul, you know. My carriers aren't strangers to me, and you won't be either. We might not have bonded completely yet, but it really doesn't take a genius to notice that you aren't enthusiastic about discussing your feelings. Have to watch for those other little tells to figure out what you're thinking."

Hiei snorted.

"See? I'm right," Kagome glanced at him before going back to searching the floor for the zouri she knew would be there. Letting out a triumphant sound when her fingers brushed the traditional sandals, she dragged them out in the open and stepped into them, "You and Sesshoumaru, I swear. The similarities are a little disturbing, but that might be why the souls took to you so quickly. You're their kind of bastard."

Something about that was strangely complimentary, and Hiei blinked as he tried to think of what exactly one said to a claim that hoards of mostly evil souls held in balance within a little human miko liked him.

"Hiei," Kagome's hand came to rest on his knee, sending a wave of that tingling warmth through him again. "I'm not going to tell you to trust us all instantly just because I jumped into you. You're the first youkai I've ever brought in who didn't know anything about us, or the jewel for that matter well in advance. This might be hard, or it might not be, but you aren't alone anymore."

Hiei stared at her, focusing all his senses inward at the spreading feeling of her aura soaking down into his own. Curiously he reached down, resting the tips of his fingers over the back of her hand and watching as the color in her skin slowly leeched away around each one. Tiny sparks of ki curled up around his wrist, jumping the gap between them like a static charge as the solid feel started to break down against his skin. When the last resistance faded, his fingers slowly sunk into her hand with the ease of dipping into a pond, dragging an involuntary sigh out of him at the answering flood of power.

Kagome's eyes lost the normal human dullness, glowing vivid blue as she let the tangled jyaki make its hesitant foray into the edges of her soul, "You see? Your soul is already remembering this feeling and growing calm. It gets easier the more you become balanced against me, not so much of a shock."

It'saddictive, Hiei grunted and forced himself to retract his hand before he got carried away. Curling it back to his chest in a slightly uncertain gesture, he absently lifted his other hand to try and massage the lingering tingle away.

"Yes, it is," Kagome flexed her hand as the skin seemed to ripple before fading back to its normal tone with a final pulse. "Most youkai either can't or won't recognize that until it's too late to save their minds. That's why I'm so picky about my carriers, and why Sesshoumaru is so important to me."

And why you don't want Kurama to know this feeling, Hiei observed shrewdly, smirking when her cheeks turned pink. However, he privately wondered just how difficult it was to be handicapped by such a thing for a human miko who obviously thrived off affection. The potential for youkai wanting to use her emotions against her in an effort to control the power of the Shikon-no-Tama was ridiculously high, and humans-? He shook his head in disgust at the thought, No human I've ever encountered would ever be able to control this kind of energy.

"It feels good to know that he's attracted to me without knowing what I can do beyond the miko thing," Kagome started to tuck her knee up to her chest in a mimic to his own position when she was starkly reminded that her multi-layered kimono wouldn't allow such a thing. She made a face at Hiei when she caught him snickering at her, "Cheater."

"You said Sesshoumaru would insist on a kimono, you never said I couldn't wear my pants under it," he shrugged, automatically reaching out to smooth out a wrinkle in her haori. Freezing when he realized what he'd done, Hiei jerked his hand back and shot her an accusing frown.

"Don't worry about it," Kagome waved off his actions calmly. "There's a connection," she raised her hand to graze a fingertip over the mark below his throat, "between us now. The feelings and lowering inhibitions you're experiencing won't extend beyond me, and you're only feeling so relaxed because of who you are to me. Sesshoumaru does it too."

Imagining the painfully arrogant taiyoukai reacting the same way in his situation had his frown smoothing out to a chuckle.

"Of course, he only shows it when we're alone," Kagome corrected with a bright smile, turning to sit forward just as the car rolled to a stop, and the dividing window clicked. She waited until the tinted glass had lowered back down completely before nodding towards her son, "Kaze, you remember Hiei, don't you?"

"Of course, Kagome-sama," Kaze met her eyes in the mirror and smiled, gesturing with one hand towards the gate in front of them. "If you'd like to show Hiei-sama into the compound while I park the car?"

"We'll see you inside," she waited as Hiei got the hint and opened the door, watching as the hybrid stepped out into the unfamiliar section of woods and looked around to commit everything about it to memory.

Kagome closed the door, twisting around to make sure the hems of each kimono fell evenly and the obi was properly tied as Kaze turned to follow the gate back into the trees. Satisfied she would pass Sesshoumaru's inspection, she glanced at Hiei's expression and chuckled, "Feels different, doesn't it?"

How do you block the taint of the humans like this? Hiei shook his head, staring from the ground up to the trees and back to the compound, soaking in the raw energy in the nature around them.

"You learn a trick or two when you're a creepy artifact like me," she winked at him, motioning for him to follow to the gate. "Just so you know, yes, you can fight Shippou without worrying about anything if he starts it. But Sesshoumaru gets annoyed when there's blood during dinner that he isn't responsible for. This is a predominantly youkai family, Hiei. Be yourself."

Hiei felt his lips start to twitch up into a smirk, nodding as his hand came to rest comfortably on the hilt of his katana when Kagome pushed open a small door set into the wood and led him inside.

<………>

"You're really serious about this?" Yuusuke stared in disbelief at Kurama as they watched over Ryou and Toushi practicing their lessons in the backyard. "Not just a sex thing? I mean, it ain't my business how long it's been, but you don't need to think of tying yourself down just to get laid when you've got that pretty-boy face."

`Well, on one hand, we can always trust that Yuusuke to say it bluntly,' Youko chuckled at the irritated expression that crossed Kurama's face in answer to his own enjoyment over the "advice" Yuusuke had to offer. `Oh come on! It was crude, but it has a little truth to it. We were overdue for a lover.'

"It's not just a sex thing," Kurama emphasized, inwardly rolling his eyes at Youko's continued snickering.

"She's a miko," Yuusuke reminded him, leaning back to find his beer and take a leisurely drink before gesticulating with the bottle. "You said she's good, means she could roast your ass if you two ever fight."

Kurama smiled, turning to look at Yuusuke's sons, "Maybe… but don't you think that makes things more interesting?"

Yuusuke's brows lifted in surprise, following the kitsune's line of sight until the connection as to why Kurama's attention was straying in that direction clicked in his head. Startled, he sat up straighter and leaned forward to get a better view of Kurama's wistful expression, "Oi."

`I think a boy first…' Youko rubbed his chin thoughtfully, lounging back within their soul as he meticulously combed over his plans. `Maybe with Kagome's eyes; kitsune blood could make those eyes deadly.'

"Oi, Kurama," Yuusuke poked him in the shoulder, arching an eyebrow when Kurama finally responded, blinking away his distraction and turning his focus back to his friend.

"Sorry, what was that?" Kurama absently ran a hand though hair to smooth it back when a light breeze fanned it out around his shoulders.

Yuusuke's eyes narrowed, leaning forward and then side to side as though reading something in the kitsune's expression that only he could see. But just as Kurama was about to open his mouth and demand what on earth he thought he was doing, Yuusuke sat back and let out a low whistle, "I'll be damned."

`The hell?' Youko frowned, coming up out his pleasant fantasies reluctantly. `What? What is he talking about, Kurama?'

"You're serious," Yuusuke emphasized that more forcefully. "That kind of serious… The human way?"

Kurama chuckled at the disbelief on Yuusuke's face as he realized what he was talking about, cocking his head to one side as he drawled out tauntingly, "Why?"

"Dammit, I deserve an answer!" Yuusuke slapped the grass in front of him and glared at Kurama. "We been friends too long for you to clam up and keep something like this a secret! You are, aren't you? That's why you were so fucking pissed at me for wanting to trade off being around her for what Takeharuka knew about that jewel thing!"

`And here I thought I'd made that obvious enough already,' Youko clucked his tongue.

"I don't believe it," Yuusuke was looking slightly dazed, covering his forehead with one hand as though checking himself for a non-existent fever. "Why? What brought this on all of a sudden?"

`All of a sudden?' Youko snorted.

"I would have thought that you would understand, Yuusuke," Kurama pointedly ignored Youko's digs over just how long they'd been searching for someone acceptable to them. Shrugging carelessly, he turned to look back at the young boys when they took a pause in their training to wrestle around in the grass in a much less organized fashion, "I have been thinking about it for a little while now, but I hadn't met the right person."

"The dating," Yuusuke made a self-deprecating sound for his own inability to reason out that Kurama would have been doing something so… domestic. "You really were looking for a girlfriend, not just going out and having fun."

Kurama chuckled softly, "I was hoping for more than a girlfriend."

"Why Kagome? Did you know her before us?" Yuusuke made an expansive gesture with his beer. "Not that I'm not going to say she ain't something special! I mean, I think you're damn lucky if you win her away from that pretty bastard, but still-!"

"Kagome is special," he cut off the awkward rambling, sighing as he turned his face up to soak in the warmth of the dying sunlight.

`And we decided we wanted her,' Youko smirked, drawing in a deep breath to taste the ki around them and be sure none of the taint he'd worked so hard to purge had snuck back into it.

"She calms all of me," Kurama continued, debating what to tell Yuusuke and what to keep to himself.

Yuusuke was quite a moment, staring at him silently until a sly gleam entered his eyes, "She's pretty cute too."

Kurama slanted him a sideways glance, "Mm."

"Throw me a bone here, Kurama! You've never shown any interest in girls before," Yuusuke slapped the ground between them for emphasis. "I was starting to think you liked guys and just didn't want to introduce us to your boyfriend."

Youko let out a long-suffering sigh, `Humans, honestly, why must they think everything is so inflexible?'

If you think I'm going to try to explain kitsune sexuality to Yuusuke, you're sadly mistaken, Kurama rolled his eyes.

"Can you actually get married? I mean, you'll outlive any human hands down because of Youko, won't you?" Yuusuke seemed more interested in working out the problems he could figure out than getting answers to his earlier accusation. "Do you look like you age?"

"I can look like I have if I want to," Kurama dipped his head in acknowledgment to that. "And I do have a known human life, Yuusuke, I can do the same things any human can do."

`We just do them better.'

"What changed?" Yuusuke sighed, trying to restrain his curiosity. "And why didn't you tell us? Not like I wouldn't understand, you know?"

"I'm more accustomed to being a private person," Kurama brushed that aside easily.

"Then you are planning to try the married thing?" Yuusuke pressed, setting down his beer and folding his arms over his chest to show his determination to find out what he wanted to know.

"Perhaps."

"With Kagome?" Yuusuke's jaw tightened in frustration.

I should be ashamed of myself, Kurama hid a smirk behind his hand before schooling his expression back into mild innocence.

`Why? This is fun,' Youko grinned widely, prodding at him to continue tormenting their mostly human friend.

"Well?"

"Perhaps."

Yuusuke muttered a few curses under his breath to keep his sons from overhearing and getting him in trouble before glaring at him, "Dammit, Kurama-!"

"I introduced her to my mother today, Yuusuke," Kurama interrupted to admit to that with a chuckle before the poor man gave himself a heart attack holding it in.

That unexpected announcement stopped Yuusuke's tempers dead in its tracks, brows lifting ever higher in surprise, "Your mother? No shit? When did she get into town?"

"It was unexpected, actually. She was passing through with her husband due to a business trip and didn't realize she was so close to your home," Kurama smiled at the memory of just how well the meeting with Shiori had gone, and the lingering image of the dazzling smile she'd given him as he'd walked her to the station to catch her train. "She says you're overdue for sending her new pictures of your boys, by the way."

Yuusuke winced slightly, rubbing the back of his head, "Been meaning to get around to that."

"Mm-hm," Kurama made the noncommittal sound, lips twitching in amusement at his friend's discomfiture. "Anyhow, Kagome invited her to lunch and I made sure my mother was aware of my intentions before she left."

"You're going to make me drag it out of you," he muttered in annoyance.

`Did he think we'd make it easy?' Youko tried to sound as offended as he could with his laughter disrupting the attempt. `What else can we tell him to piss him off? Maybe we can get him to yell loud enough that he gets in trouble with Keiko.'

You just want to know that he's sleeping on the couch, Kurama accused dryly.

`If I'm not having fun with my lover after a day like this, I don't want anyone else having any either,' Youko turned up his nose primly.

Your selflessness is truly staggering, Youko.

`I can embarrass you within an inch of your life right now,' Youko threatened in a smug growl. `You don't have anywhere near my control.'

"I can tell Keiko you told me you've already proposed," Yuusuke drained the last out of his bottle and set it up on the steps. "You invited yourself and Hiei into my house, Kurama, you owe me something."

Kurama tilted his head, pretending to mull it over before he let out a long-suffering sigh, "I suppose you're right."

"Damn right I am," he folded his arms over his chest.

"If you're going to be impolite about it, I'll leave you to your quiet family evening at home," Kurama shifted his weight as though planning to stand.

"Do it and I'll tell my boys you're dumping their most favorite sensei for their last babysitter," Yuusuke folded his arms behind his head and leaned back against the wall.

`Ooh, that's a good one,' Youko sat up with more interest. `We're filing that one away to use when we have our own sons.'

"That's a dirty trick, Yuusuke," Kurama made a tsking sound, but resumed his more relaxed position in the grass.

"Yeah well," Yuusuke smirked, patting down his sides until he remembered which pocket he'd put his cigars into, "we ain't made such a great team by following the rules."

"True enough," the kitsune traced his fingers absently over the grass, smiling softly as he encouraged it to cushion the roughhousing boys. "Let me ask you, Yuusuke… having this to come home to at night, after every mission… Why are you even asking me why I'm making the decision to start a relationship?"

"With a human? A miko?" Yuusuke's words were slightly distorted as he took the end of the cigar in his teeth and struck a match. "I knew Keiko my whole life before we got to where we are now, and being married is still hard sometimes."

"Kagome is already aware and accepting of my responsibilities," Kurama sighed and looked up at the sky again. "She knows I'm a kitsune, and my reputation, but it hasn't changed her feelings."
"What about Youko?" Yuusuke's voice lowered respectfully over the seriousness in what Kurama was sharing with him.

"He's delighted, actually," Kurama couldn't help but chuckle, keeping Youko's drawled remarks over exactly what he was feeling to himself. "Kagome is one of the only things we agree on."

"He's into-?"

"We agree," Kurama reiterated smoothly. "And Kagome knows that we would like to have children with her."

`We intend to have children with her, get it right. Not to mention technically, I don't think you're moving quickly enough,' Youko pointed out. `If it was up to me, we'd already be sleeping together and-'

"Fuck," Yuusuke murmured in a dazed sort of awe. "Kurama, this is huge. You're talking about starting a family?"

"I haven't made this decision lightly, Yuusuke, I know how important it is," Kurama glanced at him, eyes sparkling brightly in amusement.

"Does anyone else know?" he tapped his forgotten ash off into the grass.

"Hiei knows," Kurama nodded. "He thinks Kagome is out of my league, and he loves to hang around to tell me I'm going to get purified."

Yuusuke snorted, "Sounds about right."

"He'll be disappointed," Kurama assured him confidently. "That's actually the reason I wanted to speak with you before I left tonight. Kagome has invited me to take something of a vacation to get to know each other better. I'll be out of town for two weeks while we're in Shikoku."

"Shikoku?" Yuusuke nearly dropped his cigar. "Alone?"

"We are adults," Kurama smirked, pressing his palms flat on the ground to lever himself up and stand in a fluid motion.

Yuusuke's cheeks heated in minor embarrassment and he blustered to cover it, "Not that, jackass, I know you've done all that before. I just meant the holy vibe from all the shrines. Can you handle that?"

`Aw, he's worried about us? I'm touched!' Youko mocked lightly through the clear offense he took at being asked such a silly question.

Calm down, Youko, he doesn't know how we work, Kurama soothed the kitsune with practiced ease. "This body gives me a great deal of protection, but if an area has too strong a concentration of such magic, I'll be able to avoid it."

`Kagome would help to buffer it too,' Youko's attitude turned around completely at the mental images coming with that idea. `She likes us, she wouldn't let something she has a handle over hurt us.'

Careful, Youko, you'll start sounding like a love-struck girlfriend, Kurama taunted, chuckling to himself at the short, crude remarks Youko treated him to. Turning his attention back down to Yuusuke, he smiled faintly and made his excuses, "I'm sorry I won't be around much this evening, but I'm going to be preparing myself."

"Oi," Yuusuke's quiet call brought Kurama to a stop as the younger man sighed, looking back across the yard to his sons. He could understand, hearing it the way the kitsune had said and trying to imagine what his life would be like if he didn't have his family. He shook away the thought with a hint of self-disgust, propping his elbow up on his knee to rest his cheek on his palm. "You sure about her? About all this?"

Kurama smiled, sliding his hands down into his pockets as he cocked his head to one side, "You should be aware that I would have to have been sure before I began pursuing Kagome openly. I'm much too self-serving that way to lock myself into a situation I don't enjoy to the fullest."

`That's about the rudest way you could have said that,' Youko protested with a huff. `If I was in a selfish mood, you would know. Frankly I'm insulted for both of us.'

"Besides," Kurama continued, "I want more from Kagome than I have wanted from any other girl I've ever associated with."

Yuusuke's eyes widened, "You love her?"

Kurama shrugged, waving a hand to dismiss that notion while Youko snickered in the back of their mind, "I'm not certain it's that intense, what I feel. However, there is something… I need more time with her to find out what."

A smirk slowly took over Yuusuke's expression, widening steadily until it was joined by a chuckle, "I gotcha, more time."

`He's laughing at us,' Youko's brows drew together.

Ignore it, Kurama rolled his eyes and turned towards the street. "I'd appreciate it if all of you kept tabs on the Takeharuka clan while I'm away."

"Any of `em in particular?" Yuusuke was enjoying himself immensely, barely stopping himself from digging out his phone and telling Keiko to come straight home. He could just imagine the accusations of acting like they were back in high school the longer he tried to hold in his snickering, but it was Kurama. Things like this just never involved Kurama.

Kurama thought about the question a moment and came to a decision, "Kagome's brother, Souta. His training is not as advanced as the others, and she would be devastated if anything were to happen to him."

Yuusuke brought his hand up in front of his mouth to hide his grin, nodding in agreement as he tried to keep most of his laughter out of his voice, "Consider it a favor."

"Thank you," Kurama nodded, waving to Yuusuke's sons when they seemed to sense his impending departure and called a momentary truce. "I'll call you if I find out anything you need to know."

"In other words, don't hold my breath?" Yuusuke saluted him with the cigar, and turned to his boys. "Oi! Come say good-bye to your uncle and wish him luck getting Kagome to marry him!"

Kurama winced at the delighted shrieks that met Yuusuke's announcement, scowling down at him even as he held out his arms to catch the two boys leaping at him at high speeds, "That's low, Yuusuke."

Yuusuke winked, leaning back against the house with a laugh, "Practice for later."

`If he thinks my sons will be anything like his, he's sadly mistaken,' Youko turned up his nose arrogantly. `Handling an infant kitsune is vastly different from handling a human.'

Oh hush, you like them and you know it, Kurama shook his head, obediently crouching down when Ryou and Toushi started tugging at his clothes to get him down on their level. And they think the world of us.

`Is that why we got upgraded to "Uncle" rather than nii-san?' Youko chuckled slightly. `They're hoping giving us a closer association will mean they have claim to her too?'

"You're gonna marry Sensei and bring her to live with us, right?" Ryou folded his arms over his chest and focused his most determined frown on the amused kitsune. "Then Sensei can watch us on date night and no more of the creepy, stupid girls who won't play!"

That answers that, Kurama smiled, reaching out to ruffle his hair while Toushi latched onto his hip.

"Remind her that she can spend lots more time with us when she says yes," Toushi prodded him in an overly loud whisper, wrapping his hand in Kurama's hair to tug his head down.

"We're her favorites," Ryou nodded sagely.

Kurama tilted his head to take the pressure off his hair long enough to put a stop to the insistent yanking, laughing at that claim as he gently untangled Toushi's hand, "I'll remember to tell her, but I need my hair back, Toushi-chan."

Ryou swatted his brother, "Yeah, brat! How's he s'posed to marry Sensei with you attached to his head?"

"Ow! Don't call me a brat!" Toushi forgot all about hanging on and tackled his brother to the ground. "Take that back!"

`This looks like a good time to leave Yuusuke to it,' Youko snickered, nudging at Kurama to get him moving back towards the fence. `No one's going to be at the temple tonight, so let's go have a look around the grounds. I want to see what the plants around it have to say about my lover.'

"Good luck, Yuusuke," Kurama offered him a mocking bow, smiling at the look on his friend's face as he rose up to stop his boys from getting too carried away. "Give my apologies to Keiko for not saying goodbye in person, but I have much to do before taking my vacation."

"Wait, Kurama, don't-!" Yuusuke levered himself up to his knees, hoisting Ryou up with one hand and turning around only to find the yard completely empty. "Dammit all to hell!"

<………>

Hiei let his gaze sweep around the crowded living area, leaning back against the wall to watch Kouga bodily lifting one of his wolves up off Shinju. The youkai lord was laughing richly at the boy's expense, shaking his head over the monk's loud protests over being the recipient of the massive animal's idea of affection.

The only thing that seemed to be stopping Sesshoumaru from stepping in and handling things his own way was Kagome's presence at his side. The miko was resting one hand lightly on his knee as she leaned up to whisper something in his ear, but the expression on the taiyoukai's face gave away nothing of their discussion. Hiei was mildly curious over what had them so engrossed, but it was easy ignore under the blatant affirmation of what Kagome had promised.

Not a single youkai had given off anything that remotely resembled a challenging or disapproving vibe when Kagome had introduced him. Sesshoumaru remained a silent presence close behind Kagome from the moment they stepped into the house, but again there was nothing openly threatening in his aura. Beyond what Kagome claimed was just his natural personality, that is.

In deference to his own discomfort with the situation, she had even made a point to bring Kouga and Shippou for their more formal introduction privately. Taking that time to explain the delicate situation with her human family's level of awareness, and requesting Hiei avoided telling Souta what he knew about what she'd become. The boy had some knowledge of things that had happened in the past and the more mild consequences of them, but Kagome wanted to protect him from the worst of things as long as she could. It had been an easy enough promise for him to give, being able to understand from his own experience the fierce need to defend his sister. But from the way she had continually leaned back into Sesshoumaru's body as she spoke, it was obvious to him that it hadn't been an easy decision for her to make.

Hiei's lips quirked up in amusement at the memory of the interaction between the taiyoukai and the miko. He was completely bemused that two of the creatures he'd known all his life to be bitter enemies had created this peaceful environment and a mutually respectful partnership. One that seemed to have begun during her previous life, and just as easily picked up right where they had left off when she was reborn. The very real affection and regard Kagome held for everyone in the family without a single thought to their blood was obvious to see, and Hiei found it easier than he thought to relax amongst them.

Particularly after "formal" dinner had degenerated into Shippou starting a friendly brawl with Kouga. He'd never seen anything more amusing than watching the two youkai bound around the tables while the rest of the family leaned back and lifted things out of the way with calm, practiced ease without so much as pausing in their meal. Even Kagome's little brother seemed unfazed for the most part, occasionally displaying his youth by calling out encouragement to the kitsune he felt a closer kinship to than the wolf.

One of the interactions that had intrigued Hiei the most was seeing just how attuned Kagome really was to the taiyoukai. So much that a faint shift and a glance had been enough for the miko to give a nod down the table that had Shinju and Kaze rising to intervene and restore order. It made him wonder what watching an attack strategy executed by Sesshoumaru and his family would look like…

"It's crazy isn't it?" Souta's voice pulled Hiei out of his introspection as the younger boy folded his hands behind his back and followed the hybrid's gaze around the room. "They've all been here as long as I've been alive and I had no idea."

"Hn," Hiei made the noncommittal sound vaguely, still mildly distracted sorting through his own observations.

"I figured you'd understand since you're new to all this too," Souta continued on easily, almost speaking more to himself than the youkai half-listening at his side. "My sister has been trying to explain everything to me, but it's hard to think about when my life has been so easy compared to hers. I mean… I saw the Nikuzuki no Men back when I was just a kid, but that's the only time I was in a `fight' with a youkai. And it's nothing like the things Kagome fought before."

Hiei slanted a look at Souta, brows lifting as he redirected to a more direct path of information, "Nikuzuki no Men?"

"It wanted the jewel," Souta nodded, shuddering at the memory. "I was just a little kid then… scared the shit out of me. Kagome got hurt saving me, and if Inuyasha hadn't come when he did-"

Hiei's brows rose when the boy trailed off, shaking his head as though still haunted by the long-ago memory, "Sesshoumaru's half-brother?"

Souta nodded, "He protected her. It was amazing, what he did, and I used to wish I could be just like him. But, well, it's not like I can become a hanyou. Still, I knew that Kagome would come back when she could and I wanted to be a part of her life when she did, so I trained to be a monk, like Miroku."

Her husband, Hiei folded his arms over his chest and turned to look up at Souta to show the boy had his attention.

Souta gave a self-deprecating laugh and tossed an adoring glance back towards his sister, "Sorry, I'm bothering you, aren't I? You're at least a youkai, so this isn't as weird. I probably sound like an idiot."

Hiei was shaking his head in denial before he'd even registered the sudden unexplainable and completely uncharacteristic urge to reassure the boy, "No."

Souta blinked in surprise, eyes quickly searching Hiei's face for any hint of mockery before he smiled in relief and reflexively bowed, "Nee-san says I get carried away still, but I'm getting better. I worked hard, and she always includes me now. It's funny, I always dreamed…"

"Dreamed?" Hiei prodded, inwardly sighing as he decided he may as well hear whatever Souta had to say to the end.

Souta seemed to turn the thought of answering over in his mind before he looked up and met Hiei's gaze squarely to show he was being honest, "I always dreamed of being able to be someone important to my sister when she finally came home."

"Oi! Souta!" Shippou's voice pulled the boy's attention away just as Hiei's eyes widened. "Kagome's asking for you, runt, better get up there so she can say goodbye before that stupid redhead hauls her off for a while."

"I'm not a runt!" Souta protested, smacking the kitsune in the shoulder, but all the same he was already turning to obey. He paused at the last second and pivoted back to bow to Hiei, "It was really nice talking to you, Hiei-san. Welcome to the family."

Hiei nodded in response, following the boy's progress through the hall as he darted easily through the wolves to reach his sister's side. His expression never changed as he watched Kagome turn a bright smile up on the boy, laughing at something Hiei couldn't hear as she accepted Sesshoumaru's help up and led Souta towards the kitchen for privacy.

"I need to talk to you," Shippou lowered his voice dramatically, wanting to be certain the only one hearing the words was Hiei.

Not interested, Hiei schooled his expression back to bland indifference, finding the wolf lord again and frowning as he read the brute strength in that previously hidden aura.

"About Kurama."

Hiei went still; half-surprised Shippou hadn't issued some sort of challenge to his presence despite Kagome's assurances. On the other hand, what in the three worlds would the kitsune be asking him when it was obvious how much more familiar Shippou was with why Kurama behaved the way he did.

"Look," Shippou reached out and gripped Hiei's shoulder, interrupting his thoughts, and tightening his grip when the hybrid tensed, "this is important. I have to know in case this could cause problems for Kagome."

It was tempting to throw him off, possibly start a match with the overly arrogant brat right there just to see what Sesshoumaru and the others would do. But curiosity overrode that desire and he relaxed even as he shook off the clawed hand, Why are you asking me? You're a kitsune, you know more about him than I do.

"I know what any kitsune would know, but I don't know him," Shippou muttered in denial, slanting a nervous look back to where Sesshoumaru seemed to be speaking with Shinju and Kaze. "How much do you know about avatars?"

Hiei arched an eyebrow, Kitsune create them to hide their souls or some other such nonsense by taking over a human, why?

Shippou rolled his eyes, muttering a few choice words under his breath before he grabbed Hiei by the wrist and yanked him towards the shoji leading out onto the porch. "Nonsense… I'm insulted for every kitsune you've come in contact with, I really am. Do you have any idea how hard it can be to make an avatar just right?"

Why would I care? Hiei scowled, jerking his arm back and stuffing his hands up into his sleeves as he walked in the indicated direction on his own. It's a trick that your kind pulls, and they guard all the secrets of their techniques violently if necessary.

"What kind of thief are you?" Shippou opened the shoji, glancing back to be certain Sesshoumaru was busy before he slipped outside with Hiei trailing right behind him. Sliding it closed silently, he sighed and hopped up onto the railing, "You should be leaping at the chance to get insider information on my kind."

"I'm here, aren't I?" Hiei shrugged, automatically expanding his senses to feel out all the auras around them for potential eavesdropping.

Shippou's jaw tightened, leaning back to brace himself on a support beam as he regarded the hybrid with glittering eyes, "How split is he?"

Split? Hiei tensed as he shifted his weight onto the balls of his feet, subtly altering his stance into a more defensive position.

"Ah, then I was right," he smirked, folding his arms behind his head. "How complete is it? Do you have any idea how many tails he gave up when he took over the body?"

Hiei hopped up to crouch on the rail, staring intently at the kitsune as his hand habitually came to rest on the hilt of his sword, "What the hell do you mean?" How complete? Is he talking about Youko and Kurama being in the same body? But they've never seen him.

Shippou made an impatient sound, cocking his head to one side and shoving his hand into his hair, "I'm not an idiot, you know. I took imaging of him, so I thought I knew what was inside him, but then what I felt when we were sparring in the dojo… I didn't think any kitsune had been strong enough to pull that trick in centuries, but there was a completely separate feed in Kurama's energy. There's only one thing I know that causes that kind of fluctuation without making an obvious signature in my pictures. So I'll ask you again, how complete is his split?"

Hiei set his jaw, eyes narrowing as he tried to dig a little deeper before showing his own hand when it was Kurama's right to explain, I don't understand what you want.

"Can he speak with the other aspect of his soul like it's another kitsune or does he just have the stronger portion of his power sealed deeper inside him?" Shippou shot him a dry look, dangling one leg off the edge of the rail and kicking it lazily back and forth.

Hiei's mouth opened and closed again as the implication behind that question really clicked, "It's normal?"

"Well it's not easy to create that kind of separation," Shippou wrinkled his nose, "but it's not exactly unheard of either. How do they do it? Are they a peaceful split or do they fight?"
"Mostly peaceful," Hiei murmured, staring down at Shippou intently as he pondered just how much he could get out of him regarding Kurama's situation. They argue... but there's no maliciousness behind what they do to each other.

Shippou shrugged carelessly, rubbing his chin as his eyes took on a slightly glazed look of contemplation, "Arguing just means they get along, it's not a bad thing especially if it's friendly. Damn, how strong is he?"

"I won't fight him," Hiei offered that indicator to Kurama's strength, waiting with guarded eagerness for more information.

"Has he always been a split soul?" Shippou glared at the shoji, setting his jaw against the potential complications flitting through his mind.

"I believe Youko was mostly sleeping until their body was sixteen," Hiei slowly sank down to sit on the rail, grateful all over again that he'd thought to wear his pants under the kimono for his own comfort. "The more time passes, he grows stronger and they both say their souls are blending back together."

"Good gods, I hope I never get that lonely," Shippou blew out a heavy sigh, clasping his hands together in his lap and shaking his head.

Hiei's brows shot up, Lonely? Whatthe hell?

"Heh, didn't know that did you?" Shippou slanted him an amused look before he turned to look up at the moon. "Why did you think we made avatars in the first place?"

Kurama made it to hide in Ningenkai and recover from critical injuries, Hiei frowned as he offered that piece of the story, trying to figure out what other reason there could possibly be for such a tactic.

"Might be why he decided he needed an avatar form, but it's not the reason he made himself the way he is now," the kitsune reached up and tugged the ribbon out of his hair, letting it all spill down around his shoulders with a smile. "He took a risk splitting himself the way he did."

Why was it a risk? Hiei winced slightly, reaching up to cover the mark at his throat when it pulsed unexpectedly. It's Shuuichi and Youko mixing together, and the stronger Youko gets, the less humanity Kurama retains.

"Sesshoumaru just pulled her in," Shippou tapped his own throat to show he knew exactly what happened. "We can feel it whenever she jumps into anyone. But what you're thinking isn't right. There is no human soul inside Kurama's body."

Hiei's head snapped around, "What?"

"There never has been," Shippou combed his fingers through his hair, closing his eyes as he drew in the ki of the forest around the complex. "When we take over a human baby from inside the mother, the soul hasn't reached the body yet. It hasn't developed enough, so we take advantage of that and fill it ourselves. The only soul that inhabits that form is Youko Kurama, or I would have had overlapping souls from him and `Shuuichi' when I took my images."

Hiei leaned back, fully aware that his confusion and disbelief showed on his face, That's impossible. I connect with Kurama's mind easily, and there are definitely two separate souls at work there.

Shippou's lips pulled back in a smirk, dragging his hair forward over his shoulder and carelessly combing out sections to start braiding, "It's one hell of an illusion, isn't it?"

"Kurama has never used illusionary skills in front of us that would suggest he's capable of that level of deception," Hiei refuted. "There's no way he has that kind of control."

"Just because we don't openly use all our powers doesn't mean we haven't mastered them," Shippou winked.

The muscle in Hiei's jaw flexed and jumped under how hard he gritted his teeth, unable to refute the simple truth behind that statement, Thenwhat is he?

"He's divided," Shippou's voice changed pitch, a seriousness that sent a tingle through Hiei's senses. "I can't pretend that I know why he decided to take that kind of risk with his soul, but he filtered his ki out selectively within the human body he took over. Shuuichi is just another piece of Youko's soul that he took out of himself and encouraged to develop with the characteristics he wanted in a companion."

Hiei stared at Shippou, feeling the Jagan narrow behind his bandana to force its way into the kitsune's thoughts, "That's not possible."

Shippou arched an eyebrow, twisting around and raising his hand to press the tip of his finger to the bandana and open a more direct connection just to show he had no reason to lie, "Look. Kitsune are nothing like any other youkai that exist and we do things differently. We need people around us who love us, family and friends that willingly give us the energy that we need to be healthy. If he thought he didn't have anyone, he might have thought he had nothing to lose in using his own soul to make a split consciousness inside his avatar body."

Hiei frowned, closing his eyes as he reached up and gripped Shippou's wrist to stop him from pulling away before he was finished locating the truth of that on his own, How can you be so sure?

"I'm old, and if there's anything our family is damn good at, it's knowing about the different things that can happen to a soul," Shippou's smile turned sad, carefully guarding portions of his thoughts from the invading jyaki. "Kurama's good, but after my experience with the Shikon-no-Tama, I can always tell when one of my own kind is manipulating himself. Not as well as Kagome can, but well…"

She is the jewel, Hiei finished.

"And she knows more about souls that even the strongest kitsune I've ever known," Shippou's chest puffed up in pride.

What does she say about Kurama? Hiei sifted through Shippou's mind, soaking in everything he could find that the kitsune was willing to share about avatars.

"Nothing," he sighed uncertainly, "but she doesn't know he has another form either. The way he's made, she's only feeling one soul and since she likes Kurama, she's trying not to read into him deeply. She doesn't want him to know she can do that."

And being an ancient kitsune, he would be able to tell right away, Hiei slowly retracted from Shippou's mind, opening his eyes and releasing his wrist.

"Unless he was caught up in a moment and drawing out of her," Shippou wrinkled his nose. "Especially tasting Kagome's ki; her energy is… drugging."

Why doesn't Kurama act like he knows he's just some twisted schizophrenic personality of one soul if everything you're saying about this is true? Hiei demanded, folding his arms over his chest. He treats Youko as if he's completely separate.

"As far as Kurama knows, he is," Shippou tied off the bottom of his braid calmly. "Youko probably has no reason to reabsorb that part of his soul if they like each other. He can access the entirety of his soul if he needs to, but as long as they're apart even some degree, he has company."

Hiei was silent, absently listening to the sounds of laughter and barking from the wolves in the house behind them as he turned over the information Shippou had given him access to. Avatarscan't you kitsune have anything about yourselves that isn't convoluted as hell.

"Sex."

Hiei rolled his eyes, I spent far too much time listening to Youko try and seduce me to believe that.

Shippou snickered into his hand, "Well, it's about as straightforward as we get. We're the most honest about it."

Unfortunately, Hiei sent him a glare to warn him away from the topic. Now what about this could cause problems for Kagome?

"What does Youko think of her?" Shippou let his head fall back to rest on the support again, watching Hiei with unblinking intensity through his lashes.

Hiei snorted, Is that what you're worried about? She's practically the only thing they agree on. Youko's annoyed with Kurama for taking so long to convince her to love them.'

His brows lowered, "Love them? Are you sure about that?"

Why? Isn't that normal kitsune ego? Hiei's eyes sparked in the darkness, unable to fully restrain his enjoyment at hearing such clear explanations after so many years of dealing with Youko's puzzles. They want to be loved by the people they bring into relationships?

"We don't generally have relationships per say," Shippou made a dismissive gesture with one hand. "And yes, we like to be loved; it makes the energy in a creature's soul sweet to our senses. But that's not normal… to say it like that. Have they been pursuing anyone besides Kagome?"

They dated, but they never liked the girls, Hiei snickered at the fond memories he had of that time. Kurama's standards clashed with Youko's, and they used to argue constantly about partners. Kurama didn't have sex enough to make Youko happy.

Shippou blinked and chuckled, "That's funny. You'll have to tell me stories sometimes so I can tease him."

Hiei darted a sideways glance at the kitsune, lips tugging up slightly at the odd camaraderie he was feeling at the moment, Maybe if you win a round or two against me in the dojo.

"Deal," he grinned widely, fangs slashing in the darkness. "But unfortunately we still have serious matters for tonight, and I'm not looking forward to Sesshoumaru deciding to step into the middle of it while he's holding Kagome. You think he's evil on his own, you really don't want to see how bad he can be while he's carrying."

"I can imagine," Hiei had a sudden image of the taiyoukai under that same feeling of power he experienced every time Kagome had slipped her energy through his.

"Since Kagome, have they been looking around for a soul to feed off?" Shippou turned the discussion back around with that same quick-change focus that drove him so crazy when speaking with Youko.

Sighing in resignation at the thought of dealing with kitsune behavior for the rest of his existence, Hiei absently traced his fingertip around the humming symbol at his throat as he answered. No, they haven't. Since Kagome came along, she's the only one they've been trying to pull off of. They've argued about it more than once when Youko's snuck in a taste here and there, he smirked faintly.

Shippou shrugged, "I'm hardly surprised by that."

I suppose it's true that you do stick together, Hiei drawled out at the defense of Youko's energy-sniping.

"To some extent," Shippou nodded. "I still don't think he's right for Kagome, but then again…"

You like seeing the miko happy.

"Sums it up nicely," he made a face. "And if Kurama was coming to us for an alliance, I wouldn't have any arguments. He's old, he's powerful, and he's creative, I don't doubt that he'd be damn hard to kill. On the other hand, being who and what she is, I don't want Kagome to get attached to a kitsune who willfully split his personality the way he has. She's never connected to a soul like that, and I don't know what it could do to her if she ever has to try."

You haven't told Sesshoumaru? Or Kagome? Hiei frowned in confusion.

Shippou shook his head, "This is a kitsune matter that I'll deal with personally if I have to. I don't want to ruin a chance for Kagome to be happy though if Youko's complete soul is in agreement over wanting her seriously."

Hiei sent him a sly look, You don't intend to tell Kurama that unless you can help it, do you?

"And tell him that I'm not as disapproving as he thinks I am? Hell no," Shippou snorted and tucked his knees up to bring his legs back over inside the railing. "He's going to have to prove to me he'd be good for her first, and I wouldn't be able to call myself a kitsune if I made that easy."

Hiei rolled his eyes, I still find kitsune to be some of the most disturbing youkai I've ever had the misfortune of allying myself with.

"You know you love us," Shippou smirked, eyes flashing bright as a curl of pale energy chased a circle around his carrier mark. "We keep everyone around us on their toes. Besides, if you can't play with your family, what's the point in having one?"

Even a mix-breed apparition? Hiei's expression was wiped carefully blank as he watched he kitsune's expression.

"In a perfect world, I'd have Kagome all to myself and we'd do nothing but eat chocolate and think of new ways to goof off and play with people," Shippou's shoulders lifted again in a rueful shrug. "It's nothing personal against you; it's just having her spread out amongst other carriers again. But I know how much it means to find a family after you think you're alone, and if you're going to accidentally fall into one, then at least you've got good taste to pick ours."

Then all your whining is for show? Hiei couldn't stop the snort of frustrated irritation that escaped him. About me not belonging here?

"Now I never said those exact words," Shippou winced slightly when that spark came more insistently. "I trust my sister, and if she says you belong with us, then this is your home as much as it is mine. You're one of us."

Hiei stared at him, unable to see a single hint that Shippou was being untruthful and turning his thoughts down a more private path, One of them.

Shippou hopped off the rail, folding his arms behind his head and arching his back to stretch out the kinks, "You coming? Sesshoumaru's calling so I'm going to see how long it takes to get Kouga's head bashed into the floor."

"Go ahead," Hiei made a dismissive motion with his hand. "I want to think."

He offered the hybrid a mock salute, "Don't take too long, Kagome might start to worry that you don't feel welcome and that makes Sesshoumaru antsy. It'd be hilarious as hell for me to see you being told to sit beside Big Dog all night, but somehow I can't see you enjoying that much."

"Takashima."

Shippou paused with his hand on the shoji, glancing back at him, "Hm?"

Why hasn't Youko told anyone that Kurama is just a part of his soul? Why make everyone believe that he's at war inside a human body, devouring it a little at a time?

"The more real the illusion is, the more real it is," Shippou rubbed the back of his head as he obviously struggled to put it into words for another youkai to understand. "If he protects his illusion with that depth of deception, he doesn't want to lose Kurama any more than he wants to lose his own sense of self."

And the story about devouring himself? Hiei prodded, feeling less hurt by the façade with Shippou's rationalization.

"He's probably been breaking down the human body little by little, replacing it as he gets the energy to alter his own composition," Shippou frowned thoughtfully. "That would be hard though, and it would take a ridiculous amount of energy. Avatars age, and Youko might be afraid that if he doesn't get a youkai body back, he'll lose Kurama back into himself when the body dies."

Hiei dipped his head in silent thanks after a beat of silence, Tell Kagome I'll be inside shortly.

"We'll hold dessert," Shippou winked, pulling the shoji open and disappearing inside with a flick of his tail.

Hiei blinked in mild surprise at the abruptness of that action on the heels of something that had been downright thoughtful from the most selfish person in the circle of carriers. Shaking his head, he couldn't help but chuckle as he leaned his back heavily on the support to think over everything the investigator had revealed. The difficulties he'd expected had never come, no fights and no protests to his presence. On the contrary, the more he interacted with Kagome's family, the more it felt… right?

Like it fit.

I think I may get to like belonging here.

<………>

`We shouldn't be the least bit surprised that our beautiful lover has taken such excellent care of the trees around her home,' Youko let out a deep sigh of appreciation as Kurama reached up stroke his fingers over the leaves of the tree above them. `You can feel it, can't you? How much she loves uncorrupted nature?'

I can feel it, Kurama smiled faintly, closing his eyes as he drew in energy around them hungrily. Just like I can tell we aren't suffering from the holy magic as much as we should be.

`I told you she likes us,' Youko purred out smugly.

Kurama chuckled and shook his head, drawing his hands back down into his pockets as he glanced around the silent grounds, You're feeling particularly good about yourself, aren't you?

`As of tomorrow, we are going to be spending two weeks alone with our lover and taking her around places where we'll have every opportunity to impress her with our gifts,' Youko turned his nose up, tail swishing back and forth eagerly with his racing thoughts. `None of her nosy, nosy guard dogs interrupting right when things start to get good. And after what happened in the restaurant today, you know that it won't be long before we have her right where she belongs. Depending on how things go, we may even have her pregnant with our first son by the time we get back.'

You're getting ahead of yourself, Youko, Kurama shook his head, lips twitching at just how cheerful the kitsune was sounding in his head. Don't you think we should get settled in as her lover before we decide to try getting her pregnant?

`Psh! Now you want to wait?' Youko frowned in disapproval.

If we want her to for more than one baby, that might be a good idea, Kurama pointed out, turning to walk down the stone steps back to the sidewalk. She's young, we can stand to give it a little bit of time.

`Still having sex.'

Kurama rolled his eyes, Yes, Youko, still having sex.

`Oh good, for a moment there I was worried that you might be broken,' Youko blew out an exaggerated sigh of relief.

I'm not broken, Kurama protested in exasperation.

`You didn't want to tell Shiori-kun that our lover is going to be moving in with us,' Youko pointed out. `What else was I supposed to think? It's a legitimate concern.'

Move in where? Kurama paused at the sidewalk, reaching out to lightly rest his hand on one of the little kitsune statues flanking the stairs that were no doubt Shippou's addition. We don't have a house here, Youko.

`We can get one,' he waved that aside as unimportant. `Or we can move in with her, we're going to be helping at the temple after all.'

Have you been planning without telling me again? Kurama frowned in mild irritation, curling his fingers to send a faint spark of youki into the statues to reinforce his own protection over the temple.

`You were sleeping.'

Stop using that for an excuse, Kurama checked his watch, turning around with every intention of returning to Yuusuke's house for the night when he nearly ran right into another man walking towards the temple. Startled, he took a quick step back, schooling his expression to give away nothing as he assessed the late-night intruder, "Can I help you?"

`Who is this person and why is he in front of our lover's temple at this hour of the night?' all hint of playfulness leeched out of Youko's voice, leaving him turning a flat, deadly glare on the strangely familiar person turning his own look of mild surprise on them. `Why does he look-? Oh! Oooh! Oh fuck no! He looks like that thing! That Musou thing in Makai!'

Musou? Kurama's eyes narrowed fractionally, taking in the uncommonly pretty face and the upswept, dark hair. Maybe a little, but noit's something else-?

"I'm sorry, I hadn't realized someone was standing here," the man's voice was melodic, even pleasant, but something about it set every last one of Kurama's senses on edge. "I enjoy walking past this place on my way to the station, but I'm afraid I've become accustomed to this sidewalk being empty at this hour of the night."

`I don't like the way he's looking at us,' Youko's eyes flashed, the growl building low in his throat. `Who the fuck does he think he is to have such arrogance in his eyes when he looks at our face?'

"I'm afraid I didn't catch your name," Kurama straightened his spine, resting one hand lightly on his hip as his gaze became openly challenging. "If you're so familiar with this place, are you a friend of my fiancée?"

"How rude of me," the man pressed his hand up over his heart, smirking as he dipped in a shallow bow. "Nasamura Reiko, but then, you had already left your lovely fiancée to her own devices when I made her acquaintance and made my introductions before."

Youko went disturbingly still inside their head, eyes flashing deep scarlet under the wash of anger that flowed through him, `This human…'

The restaurant, Kurama's jaw clenched so tightly he was amazed he didn't crack something. This is the man who scared her so badly. How can he see this temple?

Reiko slid his hand into his hair, pushing it back over his shoulder as he turned to continue on the path towards the train station. Pausing beside Kurama, he slanted a sideways glare at him beneath his bangs, "There's nothing more shameful than seeing such a beautiful woman left heartlessly behind. Luckily there is always someone waiting to step in, and give them what they need to be happy. To make them smile."

Kurama had his hand around the man's throat, spinning around to slam him up against the fence hiding most of the temple grounds from view with a snarl. He barely caught himself before he followed through with a punch that would have made Yuusuke proud, shifting its path at the last second to strike beside his face.

`You shouldn't have missed,' Youko whispered in disapproval.

Reiko started to laugh softly, gaining volume until the sound was echoing around them, "I see she failed to mention that I did what you couldn't."

"Scare her to death?" Kurama forced down his desire to rip him apart, golden eyes blazing with the suppressed emotions. "She didn't have to tell me about you, I knew what you'd done."

"She didn't seem scared when I left her," Reiko reached up, gripping Kurama's fingers and tugging at them suggestively. "And her brother only mentioned you were a boyfriend, not something so close as a fiancé. Wishful thinking?"

"Things change," Kurama growled out without missing a beat, squeezing the throat under his hand hard and dropping him before he gave into the urge to kill him.

"How very true," Reiko braced his weight up on the wall, rubbing his abused neck for a moment before dusting himself off and straightening. "I wonder how many things will change before I finish with you. After all, Takeharuka's niece deserves better than some nothing-pretty boy."

Youko wrapped his arms around their soul, adding a dangerous edge to Kurama's smile as he repeated mockingly, "How very true. But tell me, Nasamura, after openly admitting you recognize the quality of my lover as being so high above your own, why do you think she would hold any interest in you?"

Reiko chuckled softly, smoothing his hand over his hair again and meticulously straightening his clothing, "You have a clever mouth for a fool… perhaps my company will have a place for you after I've moved on. It would be a shame to let that talent go to waste over a little personal disagreement."

`Get him out of here before I decide to stop being patient and eviscerate him,' Youko drew back in disgust. `Kagome would likely be distressed if we spilled the blood of this human so near to her home.'

Maybe she'd get over it, Kurama took a step back, broadly hinting for the man to be on his way.

Reiko arched an eyebrow arrogantly at the dismissal, dipping forward in an insultingly low bow as he purred out, "Enjoy her while you can. I'll take her away soon enough and show her she's better than you."

Youko chuckled softly, the sound sending a chill down Kurama's spine at the leashed violence he could practically taste behind it. His arms slowly wound around their soul again, encouraging the distasteful images those words had conjured in Kurama's mind to fall away under darker, more pleasurable fantasies as Reiko straightened, `Just remember, this filthy thing will never be allowed anywhere near our lover. But it is only natural for him to wish for things beyond his reach.'

"Don't make a challenge you can't answer," Kurama warned softly, more than a little of Youko pouring through to influence the tone of his voice. "I'm not a person you would wish to have for an enemy."

Reiko tossed his hair back over his shoulder as he turned away and continued down the sidewalk towards the station, casually offering back to Kurama, "My instincts tell me this is a risk worth taking, so I suppose I'll just have to wait and see what kind of enemy you become."

`All arrogance and false charma human who would no doubt beg to become mine for the power I could give him if he had any idea of how weak he was compared to me,' Youko dragged his thumb slowly across his lower lip, darting his tongue out to graze his claw as he voiced his appraisal. `Foolish thing.'

As much as I hate agreeing with you when you're being particularly overbearing, I think you're right, Kurama scowled after the retreating back, easily recognizing that view from the first time they had seen him forcing his company on Kagome.

`If there's one thing we recognize after what our life was, Kurama, it's greed,' Youko dipped his head to acknowledge the concurrence gracefully for once. `I've never been wrong in that respect, have I?'

No, Kurama folded his arms with deceptive casualness, focusing on the agitated ki around him and drawing it into himself to resettle their aura.

Youko gave every indication of savoring the energy slowly, gathering it more purposefully with the offensive threat of Reiko's attentions towards his lover, `There is no chance in any layer of the three worlds that we would lose her to a thing like that. Did you hear him? "Takeharuka's neice,"' he mimicked in disgust. `It's laughable to think he believes himself better than us when he refers to her in such a disrespectful way. Or that his pathetically insufficient emotions could hope to even fractionally satisfy our lover.'

Greed, Kurama barely stopped his lip from curling back off his teeth in an instinctive threat against the thought of that human trying to touch Kagome. And lust.

`Ch! If you can call what he feels anything at all,' Youko felt safe enough to let their eyes flash scarlet as the human vanished around the corner. `He hasn't even developed them properly to be enjoyed.'

He couldn't suppress the urge to chuckle faintly at the way Youko made that sound practically vulgar, There aren't many creatures who feel things the way kitsune do.

`That's their flaw,' he slid his chin down onto Kurama's shoulder with a low sigh, letting the more obvious rage go to the back of his mind to be broken down and reworked until into could be reformed into something more precise and deadly.

Kurama let himself be soothed under the familiarity of that reaction, making a mental note to draw out this issue at a more appropriate time. He closed his eyes, relaxing himself bit by bit with the new energy, You can always tell, can't you? You know what makes them weak, Youko, what you can use to make them fail.

`I am not who I am without having earned it,' Youko's arms tightened around them, slowly drawing Kurama deeper into the comfort of his soul to restore their good mood as he whispered softly in answer. `When it all comes down to it, Kurama, we're never wrong about the emotions around us. We can just taste sin.'